independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > WELCOME 2 AMERICA: RELEASE DATE 07/30/21 -PT II
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 16 of 20 « First<11121314151617181920>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #450 posted 07/30/21 7:47pm

jillybean

avatar

Musze said:



SchlomoThaHomo said:




Romeoblu said:


Stand Up and B Strong seems to be a bad rip. There is a jittery noise in the background. On second listen this another highlight. Great guitar solo [Edited 7/23/21 11:45am] [Edited 7/23/21 11:46am]


Yea it sounds like the CD was scratched. I pray it's a bad rip from the leaker and not that the Estate sourced it from one of the CDR's they found. The song's too good to sound like that. I can't believe reviewers are calling it a low point. I think it's an absoulte high point. The guitar solo is beautiful.




THIS. THIS. THIS. And I hope the official release version is pristine.



To me, it's THE highlight of the album. Whatever Prince was living through when he recorded this, he chose it for a reason and I'm inclined to believe it meant something to him.



It sounds like he's singing it to HIMSELF. cry


Agreed!! I love this Soul Asylum song, and was most excited for this track on W2A, and it didn’t disappoint. It’s on repeat here!
"She made me glad to be a man"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #451 posted 07/30/21 11:01pm

Phase3

"Check the record" has hit written all over it.Even if released as a single now it would chart great.
Maybe with a montage video of welcome 2 america tour
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #452 posted 07/31/21 12:55am

SoulAlive

l'ange bleu - moderator: Please do not quote entire articles.



AllMusic Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

https://www.allmusic.com/...2021-07-30

Prince recorded the 12 songs that comprise the posthumous album 'Welcome 2 America' back in 2010, polished off some mixes, and allegedly completed a sequence, then he set it aside. It's impossible to tell if Prince considered the album finished or if he planned to release it. He did launch the Welcome 2 tour in December 2010 but it was in support of '20Ten', an album given away with copies of the Daily Mirror in the U.K. and never officially released in the U.S., and almost no songs from the Welcome 2 America sessions were played on-stage or leaked from the vaults: the fizzy trifle "Hot Summer" was streamed on the website of local radio station 89.3 The Current but that was it. Few Prince fanatics were aware of its existence until it was unearthed in 2021 as the first release in his estate's deal with Legacy. Complete unreleased albums are relatively rare among Prince's known outtakes, so the appearance of 'Welcome 2 America' as big news. The album itself doesn't quite live up to expectations.

Read the rest of the review at the link above.



  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #453 posted 07/31/21 1:06am

toejam

avatar

Phase3 said:

"Check the record" has hit written all over it.Even if released as a single now it would chart great. Maybe with a montage video of welcome 2 america tour

.

I think it's an underwhelming track. It's a nice little funk-rock riff, but that's about it. It gets tired after about a minute. It needs a proper bridge and more interesting lyrics. I skip it most of the time.

Toejam @ Peach & Black Podcast: http://peachandblack.podbean.com
Toejam's band "Cheap Fakes": http://cheapfakes.com.au, http://www.facebook.com/cheapfakes
Toejam the solo artist: http://www.youtube.com/scottbignell
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #454 posted 07/31/21 1:26am

BlueLantern

I think the album overall is excellent,

1000 light years from here is superb, maybe the best song on the album

Check the record is also very good but lack of guitar work, a guitar solo should have been added (the singing here reminds me of the singing of Jack Bruce on some of his songs)

Running Game sounds also very good (it sounds like a lost Outkast track)

Born 2 Die is one of the best song on the album but would have been better with more guitar or horns in order to fill the last two minutes of the song which are a little 'empty' in terms of musicianship

those four songs are the highlight of the album for me

Welcome 2 America - the song - is a good introduction for the album

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #455 posted 07/31/21 3:07am

MendesCity

avatar

Ditch title track, Hot Summer, and Yes, and you have a pretty solid album. It's kind of shocking he released 20ten but not this.

[Edited 7/31/21 3:09am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #456 posted 07/31/21 4:23am

JamieStarrIsAT
hief

avatar

After Amazon letting me down with my deluxe set yesterday.

Said they couldnt deliver till August 10th - 23rd !!

Anyway screw them, i picked it up today at my local HMV for $120 instead.

Very impressed with the album as a whole.

Defo a contender for the best of his later years.

Saving the blu ray for tonight.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #457 posted 07/31/21 6:44am

ludwig

MendesCity said:

Ditch title track, Hot Summer, and Yes, and you have a pretty solid album. It's kind of shocking he released 20ten but not this.

[Edited 7/31/21 3:09am]

20ten is a thousand times better than this rubbish. I'm glad that he shelved this album and released 20ten.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #458 posted 07/31/21 6:48am

Chappers72

ludwig said:



MendesCity said:


Ditch title track, Hot Summer, and Yes, and you have a pretty solid album. It's kind of shocking he released 20ten but not this.


[Edited 7/31/21 3:09am]



20ten is a thousand times better than this rubbish. I'm glad that he shelved this album and released 20ten.



My view (and its great that the two opinions above are apples vs oranges, I'll be a pear lol)
Both albums similar in quality, the difference is the vibe.
And I love the title track....
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #459 posted 07/31/21 6:48am

antonb

I have told you a million times not to exaggerate! razz

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #460 posted 07/31/21 6:59am

antonb

I mean really, why are people comparing different sounding albums against each other ? You are going to enjoy whatever sound you prefer more, of course. What I love about Prince is the word variety! That’s what you get and that is the beauty of following Prince and the music .
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #461 posted 07/31/21 7:18am

SchlomoThaHomo

avatar

ludwig said:



MendesCity said:


Ditch title track, Hot Summer, and Yes, and you have a pretty solid album. It's kind of shocking he released 20ten but not this.


[Edited 7/31/21 3:09am]



20ten is a thousand times better than this rubbish. I'm glad that he shelved this album and released 20ten.



According to the podcast, 20TEN was finished and ready to go before he started Welcome 2 America. This album was to be the next thing.
"That's when stars collide. When there's space for what u want, and ur heart is open wide."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #462 posted 07/31/21 8:00am

MIRvmn

avatar

Phase3 said:

"Check the record" has hit written all over it.Even if released as a single now it would chart great.
Maybe with a montage video of welcome 2 america tour

Yea it's a strong track and one of my favorite songs on the album. It should definitely be the next single.
We are living in Orwell's 1984
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #463 posted 07/31/21 8:16am

Romeoblu

Phase3 said:

"Check the record" has hit written all over it.Even if released as a single now it would chart great.
Maybe with a montage video of welcome 2 america tour



Check The Record was instant favourite for me and has stayed there after multiple listens.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #464 posted 07/31/21 8:23am

Doalwa

Chappers72 said:

Surely music is like wine....we all have different tastes. I also like Hot Summer...and proud!!

I really like Hot Summer, too...it's not taking any risks but it's still a nice, little catchy Pop tune..nothing wrong with that!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #465 posted 07/31/21 8:28am

herb4

avatar

antonb said:

I mean really, why are people comparing different sounding albums against each other ? You are going to enjoy whatever sound you prefer more, of course. What I love about Prince is the word variety! That’s what you get and that is the beauty of following Prince and the music .


Because they're by the same artist, maybe? Just taking a wild guess here.

Co sign on Check the Record which has been on repeat for me.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #466 posted 07/31/21 8:51am

antonb

herb4 said:



antonb said:


I mean really, why are people comparing different sounding albums against each other ? You are going to enjoy whatever sound you prefer more, of course. What I love about Prince is the word variety! That’s what you get and that is the beauty of following Prince and the music .


Because they're by the same artist, maybe? Just taking a wild guess here.

Co sign on Check the Record which has been on repeat for me.


I get that I think! You though clearly don’t get my point. That’s fine, some people are just abit, well I carnt say!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #467 posted 07/31/21 10:31am

LILpoundCAKE

avatar


tell you what, I'm loving the fck out of this sequence dancing jig


01. Welcome 2 America
02. Cause & Effect
03. Born 2 Die
04. 1000 Light Years From Here
05. Ain't Gonna Miss U When U'r Gone
06. Stand Up And B Strong
07. Check The Record
08. Same Page Different Book
09. Rich Friends
10. When She Comes
11. 1010 (Rin Tin Tin)
12. Yes
13. One Day We Will All B Free

If U're lookin 4 dirt look in Ur own back yard - Plant some Peace Flowers in Ur warzone so I can fire my bodyguards.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #468 posted 07/31/21 10:37am

LILpoundCAKE

avatar

well perhaps a stronger sequence would be

01. Welcome 2 America

02. Cause & Effect
03. Born 2 Die

04. 1000 Light Years From Here
05. Ain't Gonna Miss U
06. Check The Record
07. Same Page Different Book

08. Rich Friends
09. When Whe Comes
10. 1010 (Rin Tin Tin)
11. Yes
12. One Day We Will All B Free


yes, indeed. but I do like "stand up and be strong" as well. on the other hand I like "hot summer" too lol

If U're lookin 4 dirt look in Ur own back yard - Plant some Peace Flowers in Ur warzone so I can fire my bodyguards.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #469 posted 07/31/21 11:25am

herb4

avatar

antonb said:

herb4 said:


Because they're by the same artist, maybe? Just taking a wild guess here.

Co sign on Check the Record which has been on repeat for me.

I get that I think! You though clearly don’t get my point. That’s fine, some people are just abit, well I carnt say!


Yeah...that's true. Sorry. Tried to answer your question in a very basic way. Perhaps I am...just abit...

MAD! But one "carnt" say.

How incredibly WEIRD for people to compare albums released by the same band/artist/writer. It's CRAAAAAZZY! Nuts. I've never read anyone compare Led Zeppelin 3 to Physical Grafitti nor Dark Side of the Moon to The Wall. BAD to Thriller. Ziggy Stardust to Hunky Dory. Picasso's "Blue Period" to his other work. Stephen King books over 4 decades. Scorcese or Spike Lee films to one another. Actors who've appeared in widely divergent film roles. WHo would DO SUCH A THING?! Sheer madness is what it is.

A person would have to be INSANE to do that. Guilty as charged I suppose and I apologize.

So just to clarify: moving forward, we can no longer compare any of Prince's albums to other ones in his catalog unless they "sound the same"? Well, Prince used falsetto, guitar and Linn drums on several records but Exodus or The Truth don't sound like Diamonds and Pearls or Chaos and Disorder so...I am deeply confused. What to do? What album is fair to compare W2A to in order to express a proper review and opinion about it?

Moving forward, I shall only compare 1999 or SotT to...well...you tell me.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #470 posted 07/31/21 11:43am

antonb

Well there you go. How long did it take you to think that up? Or did you pinch it from the internet? I need to stop because you have no clue! Sorry if i offended. Im sorry.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #471 posted 07/31/21 12:03pm

herb4

avatar

I just wrote it. And thought I did a decent job. About 7 minutes it took me I think but I didnt time it.

Thanks for addressing not one thing I touched upon or add in any substance whatsoever though because that really helps clarify "your point", whatever that is.

You asked:

"Why would anyone compare two albums that 'sound different'"?

I answered: "Because the same artist created both" which I thought was succinct enough, cited examples and found it was rather to the point. Perhpas it was not (?)

And now you responded with...well...nothing really. Not sure what you're calling people out for here but...well...maybe tell me. Us. I dunno...You seem to have some insight that thusfar remains elusive and unshared. So, uh...maybe write something (?). What other Prince album shall I (we) compare this one to so I can discover the mistake?

It's all fine. Not gonna get into a long weird discussion about how to properly compare art created by THE SAME PERSON and/or offer this as a valid means off comparison that people do all the time until you can better describe the parameters you want me to operate in or address my comments directly. And I certainly don't want to shit up the thread more than I already have with whatever it is we're doing here so...yeah...

I think you're being odd and weird about this though so I'll let it go. Perhaps you are Over My Head and I Just Don't Get It but I don't know unless you write something I can chew on or respond to the things I write. Comparing an artist's work to their OTHER WORK strikes me as a normal, common and perfectly valid thing to do but maybe I'm way off and just missing something.

You tell us.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to another message board to debate why we can't compare Taxi Driver to Goodfellas and Pulp Fiction to Jackie Brown.

[Edited 7/31/21 12:05pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #472 posted 07/31/21 12:33pm

antonb

herb4 said:

I just wrote it. And thought I did a decent job. About 7 minutes it took me I think but I didnt time it.

Thanks for addressing not one thing I touched upon or add in any substance whatsoever though because that really helps clarify "your point", whatever that is.

You asked:

"Why would anyone compare two albums that 'sound different'"?

I answered: "Because the same artist created both" which I thought was succinct enough, cited examples and found it was rather to the point. Perhpas it was not (?)

And now you responded with...well...nothing really. Not sure what you're calling people out for here but...well...maybe tell me. Us. I dunno...You seem to have some insight that thusfar remains elusive and unshared. So, uh...maybe write something (?). What other Prince album shall I (we) compare this one to so I can discover the mistake?

It's all fine. Not gonna get into a long weird discussion about how to properly compare art created by THE SAME PERSON and/or offer this as a valid means off comparison that people do all the time until you can better describe the parameters you want me to operate in or address my comments directly. And I certainly don't want to shit up the thread more than I already have with whatever it is we're doing here so...yeah...

I think you're being odd and weird about this though so I'll let it go. Perhaps you are Over My Head and I Just Don't Get It but I don't know unless you write something I can chew on or respond to the things I write. Comparing an artist's work to their OTHER WORK strikes me as a normal, common and perfectly valid thing to do but maybe I'm way off and just missing something.

You tell us.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to another message board to debate why we can't compare Taxi Driver to Goodfellas and Pulp Fiction to Jackie Brown.

[Edited 7/31 Yes your still missing something. And please do

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #473 posted 07/31/21 2:02pm

CAL3

Sorry if this has been addressed already-
.
But can anyone say if there are any mastering issues with the final product. Trying to decide if I want to get it or not.
I’ve been informed that my opinion is worth less than those expressed by others here.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #474 posted 07/31/21 2:36pm

dodger

This has become karen.org
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #475 posted 07/31/21 3:02pm

andykeen

avatar

CAL3 said:

Sorry if this has been addressed already-
.
But can anyone say if there are any mastering issues with the final product. Trying to decide if I want to get it or not.



Yes.. there was very little quality control

Keenmeister
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #476 posted 07/31/21 3:04pm

donnyenglish

1. 1000 Light Years
2. Welcome 2 America
3. 1010
4. Stand Up and B Strong
5. One Day We Will All B Free
6. Born 2 Die
7. Check The Record
8. Yes
9. Same Page, Different Book
10. Hot Summer
11. When She Comes
12. Son of a Slave Master

1000 Light Years is so uplifting. Gives me chills. Brilliant lyrics. Every Prince album has a classic and 1000 Light Years is that track. Not sure why so many people sleep on 1010. That is funk. I dont like the clicks in Standup but the voices are so beautiful. I can’t get over Prince humming the guitar track on Check the Record. Hot Summer is a solid pop song and just as good as many of the hits that made him famous. But, I don’t like his pop so those songs are always at the bottom of my list. This version of When She Comes is kinda boring. There is 1 great song, 6 really good ones, 5 good ones and no bad ones on this album. For an unfinished album that is pretty good. I can think of several finished/release albums that Welcome 2 America is better than.

[Edited 7/31/21 15:07pm]
[Edited 7/31/21 15:18pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #477 posted 07/31/21 3:39pm

CAL3

andykeen said:

CAL3 said:

Sorry if this has been addressed already-
.
But can anyone say if there are any mastering issues with the final product. Trying to decide if I want to get it or not.



Yes.. there was very little quality control

.
Damn. What a total joke.
.
Since I had asked, I started streaming and heard a bunch of ugly digital pops on - Stand Up and B Strong?
.
They’re bound and determined for every vault release to have some form of technical problem.
.
A disgrace.
I’ve been informed that my opinion is worth less than those expressed by others here.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #478 posted 07/31/21 9:27pm

Farfunknugin

avatar

Apollo85 said:

This is a good album. Yes, even Hot Summer. Thank you, Prince.


All that except the hot summer part, that song is a demo at best .
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #479 posted 08/01/21 2:37am

EmmaMcG

avatar

CAL3 said:

andykeen said:




Yes.. there was very little quality control

.
Damn. What a total joke.
.
Since I had asked, I started streaming and heard a bunch of ugly digital pops on - Stand Up and B Strong?
.
They’re bound and determined for every vault release to have some form of technical problem.
.
A disgrace.




If it's any consolation, Stand Up And B Strong is crap anyway so you could easily just skip that song and enjoy the rest of what is a very good album.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 16 of 20 « First<11121314151617181920>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > WELCOME 2 AMERICA: RELEASE DATE 07/30/21 -PT II