independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 11th Dec 2019 8:35pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Funny Things Non-Hardcore Fans Are Saying
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 5 12345>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 05/01/16 8:05am

KingSausage

avatar

Funny Things Non-Hardcore Fans Are Saying

Since Prince's death, I've seen a lot of non-hardcore fans -- sometimes people who say they're really really into Prince -- post some funny things on social media. I've seen lots of reposting of that Creep cover with people saying it's the best ever. Same thing for the Super Bowl and Rock & Roll Hall of Fame performances. It's one thing to say hey, this is really good!" but time and again I'm seeing people say these are the BEST performances Prince ever did. Hilarious.

Yes, this is me being a smug, hardcore Prince fan laughing at people who haven't spent nearly two decades arguing with strangers about ridiculously arcane Prince facts. Yes. I don't deny that. Maybe they should be laughing at me. Oh well. It's all in good spirit.

Today it peak laughable when I saw someone post this piece claiming that some video of Prince doing Motherless Child is his single best performance ever. This is ridiculous! Motherless Child?!? This person has clearly not seen many Prince performances.

http://www.trunkworthy.co...never-saw/
"Drop that stereo before I blow your Goddamn nuts off, asshole!"
-Eugene Tackleberry
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 05/01/16 8:07am

Guitarhero

Kevin Smith video oh i like that song of Batman album Orange Crush smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 05/01/16 8:14am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

Guitarhero said:

Kevin Smith video oh i like that song of Batman album Orange Crush smile

that was the other guy Kevin corrected him. But Kevin said his first song AFTER changing his name back to Prince from prince was My Name is Prince....(and got some songs from D&P mixed up with some on prince.

No one is coming for your abortion: they just want common-sense abortion regulations: background checks, waiting periods, lifetime limits, take a class, and a small tax.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 05/01/16 8:15am

Guitarhero

OnlyNDaUsa said:

Guitarhero said:

Kevin Smith video oh i like that song of Batman album Orange Crush smile

that was the other guy Kevin corrected him. But Kevin said his first song AFTER changing his name back to Prince from prince was My Name is Prince....(and got some songs from D&P mixed up with some on prince.

Thats right , sorry it was the other guy.

[Edited 5/1/16 8:16am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 05/01/16 8:17am

SuperFurryAnim
al

avatar

I hear DJs talk like they know about Prince and talk a lot of false info. And also talk about it as a matter of fact, things like "where Wendy and Lisa gay?" And "No that was part of the androgynous image!" My other favorite is when a DJ said "P Control" was on Prince's first album!!!! Another said that he first heard "Letitgo" and thought the lyrics were sexual and I'm like what???? "Letitgo" that is clean song! Reminder that radio morning DJs are usually not the sharpest tools and anything they say is subject.
What are you outraged about today? CNN has not told you yet?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 05/01/16 8:17am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

The Monday after a woman I know as singing Head all jacked up... and I told her she was getting it wrong and she looks at me all crazy and asked "What you know about Prince?" and I said "Well I know the words to Head"

No one is coming for your abortion: they just want common-sense abortion regulations: background checks, waiting periods, lifetime limits, take a class, and a small tax.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 05/01/16 8:17am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

If they want to hear one of the best performances from Prince, listen to the opening jam on Small Club.

.

These yahoos find one performance where he's screaming a lot or something, and brand it the best ever. It's click bait.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 05/01/16 8:19am

SuperFurryAnim
al

avatar

OnlyNDaUsa said:



Guitarhero said:


Kevin Smith video oh i like that song of Batman album Orange Crush smile





that was the other guy Kevin corrected him. But Kevin said his first song AFTER changing his name back to Prince from prince was My Name is Prince....(and got some songs from D&P mixed up with some on prince.



That story of Kevin asking if Mayte was pronounced Mate is hilarious!!! I could see Prince with a pissed off look thinking what the hell!!
What are you outraged about today? CNN has not told you yet?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 05/01/16 8:21am

terrig

KingSausage said:

Since Prince's death, I've seen a lot of non-hardcore fans -- sometimes people who say they're really really into Prince -- post some funny things on social media. I've seen lots of reposting of that Creep cover with people saying it's the best ever. Same thing for the Super Bowl and Rock & Roll Hall of Fame performances. It's one thing to say hey, this is really good!" but time and again I'm seeing people say these are the BEST performances Prince ever did. Hilarious. Yes, this is me being a smug, hardcore Prince fan laughing at people who haven't spent nearly two decades arguing with strangers about ridiculously arcane Prince facts. Yes. I don't deny that. Maybe they should be laughing at me. Oh well. It's all in good spirit. Today it peak laughable when I saw someone post this piece claiming that some video of Prince doing Motherless Child is his single best performance ever. This is ridiculous! Motherless Child?!? This person has clearly not seen many Prince performances. http://www.trunkworthy.co...never-saw/



I'm seeing alot of posts like that - 'best ever' and its just clickbait but... still a great performance of Motherless Child nonetheless....I can't hate on the craptons of video being shared right now, people want to love him I dont care how they do, as long as they do. smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 05/01/16 8:25am

KingSausage

avatar

terrig said:



KingSausage said:


Since Prince's death, I've seen a lot of non-hardcore fans -- sometimes people who say they're really really into Prince -- post some funny things on social media. I've seen lots of reposting of that Creep cover with people saying it's the best ever. Same thing for the Super Bowl and Rock & Roll Hall of Fame performances. It's one thing to say hey, this is really good!" but time and again I'm seeing people say these are the BEST performances Prince ever did. Hilarious. Yes, this is me being a smug, hardcore Prince fan laughing at people who haven't spent nearly two decades arguing with strangers about ridiculously arcane Prince facts. Yes. I don't deny that. Maybe they should be laughing at me. Oh well. It's all in good spirit. Today it peak laughable when I saw someone post this piece claiming that some video of Prince doing Motherless Child is his single best performance ever. This is ridiculous! Motherless Child?!? This person has clearly not seen many Prince performances. http://www.trunkworthy.co...never-saw/



I'm seeing alot of posts like that - 'best ever' and its just clickbait but... still a great performance of Motherless Child nonetheless....I can't hate on the craptons of video being shared right now, people want to love him I dont care how they do, as long as they do. smile




I know, I know. I'm happy people are celebrating him. But at the same time I feel strangely defensive (?) about people saying this or that is Prince at his best when it doesn't even make my Top 100. I want the world to know what the man could really do!

Also, I like to show off my knowledge and be a smug jackass. But that's a given.
"Drop that stereo before I blow your Goddamn nuts off, asshole!"
-Eugene Tackleberry
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 05/01/16 8:26am

mightycow

avatar

if the newspapers get so much wrong can't really blame the casual and bandwagon fans either lol. I was reading an article about the women in P's life and they put half of them in completely wrong periods

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 05/01/16 8:33am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

Y'all see Don Lemon mess up his "facts" on CNN a few times over? He was talking to Smokey Robinson or Ron Isley (I forget), and back tracking over his back tracking.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 05/01/16 8:37am

terrig

KingSausage said:

terrig said:



I'm seeing alot of posts like that - 'best ever' and its just clickbait but... still a great performance of Motherless Child nonetheless....I can't hate on the craptons of video being shared right now, people want to love him I dont care how they do, as long as they do. smile

I know, I know. I'm happy people are celebrating him. But at the same time I feel strangely defensive (?) about people saying this or that is Prince at his best when it doesn't even make my Top 100. I want the world to know what the man could really do! Also, I like to show off my knowledge and be a smug jackass. But that's a given.



lol lol lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 05/01/16 8:38am

GirlBrother

avatar

I actually find it a bit saddening that some music critics are only now praising him for his more "rock" performances.

You know, the Superbowl performance, Creep, While My Guitar...

It's almost like they're giving him a pass to some white rock club that he was previously barred from.

And yes, the general public would have a more rounded view of his overall output, had he allowed YouTube uploads. So, it's partly his own fault.


I actually prefer Prince with a microphone, synth and the Linn drum machine, than the six minute guitar solo histrionics. That's my Prince.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 05/01/16 8:46am

KingSausage

avatar

GirlBrother said:

I actually find it a bit saddening that some music critics are only now praising him for his more "rock" performances.

You know, the Superbowl performance, Creep, While My Guitar...

It's almost like they're giving him a pass to some white rock club that he was previously barred from.

And yes, the general public would have a more rounded view of his overall output, had he allowed YouTube uploads. So, it's partly his own fault.


I actually prefer Prince with a microphone, synth and the Linn drum machine, than the six minute guitar solo histrionics. That's my Prince.



Excellent post. Yeah, it's like hey everyone he played guitar so I guess now he's a legend!

On the other hand, look at how many talentless pop stars rule the charts today.

I guess I wish they'd show Prince being a master on guitar...and on bass and on piano and on keys, etc. He's not just some Joe Satriani with a little funk.
"Drop that stereo before I blow your Goddamn nuts off, asshole!"
-Eugene Tackleberry
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 05/01/16 9:03am

3rdeyedude

avatar

I like Donnie Simpson, but not sure this story is acurate.....or if it is, maybe Prince was just trying to make Donnie feel important....


http://www.nbcwashington....36461.html

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 05/01/16 9:10am

Se7en

avatar

My coworker thought Prince was screaming "SHOTGUN!" in the jam portion of Baby I'm A Star.

I corrected her, telling her that he's saying "Doctor!" and pointing to the keyboardist Dr. Fink.

She said, skeptical, "are you sure?"

Me: "Yep, pretty sure!"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 05/01/16 9:10am

SquirrelMeat

avatar

I was at a village BBQ this afternoon and there was a guy who said he was in mourning becasue of Prince.

I asked him if he was a big fan and he said, the biggest. So I asked he the last gig he went to. 'Oh sadly never got around to that' he said.

I asked him if he had a lot of the music and he said ' I have all of it. Purple Rain, 1999 and Around the World in 80 Days'.

.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 05/01/16 9:19am

eyewishuheaven

avatar

SquirrelMeat said:

I was at a village BBQ this afternoon and there was a guy who said he was in mourning becasue of Prince.

I asked him if he was a big fan and he said, the biggest. So I asked he the last gig he went to. 'Oh sadly never got around to that' he said.

I asked him if he had a lot of the music and he said ' I have all of it. Purple Rain, 1999 and Around the World in 80 Days'.


lol

I think the worst so far has to be Wolf Blitzer fondly recalling that classic Prince track, "Purple Haze". confused

PRINCE: the only man who could wear high heels and makeup and STILL steal your woman!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 05/01/16 9:20am

KingSausage

avatar

SquirrelMeat said:

I was at a village BBQ this afternoon and there was a guy who said he was in mourning becasue of Prince.

I asked him if he was a big fan and he said, the biggest. So I asked he the last gig he went to. 'Oh sadly never got around to that' he said.

I asked him if he had a lot of the music and he said ' I have all of it. Purple Rain, 1999 and Around the World in 80 Days'.





Did you get his autograph? Very few of us ever get to meet a superfan in the flesh!
"Drop that stereo before I blow your Goddamn nuts off, asshole!"
-Eugene Tackleberry
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 05/01/16 9:21am

vandeluca

I know guys...but it doesn't matter. The fact that P touched so many lives is the important thing. It's not a contest. IT doesn't matter Maybe they really did like him based on their exposure. Let them mourn too;)

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 05/01/16 9:25am

ufoclub

avatar

OnlyNDaUsa said:

Guitarhero said:

Kevin Smith video oh i like that song of Batman album Orange Crush smile

that was the other guy Kevin corrected him. But Kevin said his first song AFTER changing his name back to Prince from prince was My Name is Prince....(and got some songs from D&P mixed up with some on prince.

To be fair all those songs are from the same era studio sessions, just divided over two albums. That's why you get the beat from My Name is Prince a year earlier on a remix of Cream... same goes for the beat of "7". And you have the same styles of reverb and effects on both albums.

That would have been a triple vinyl album!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 05/01/16 9:29am

BillieBalloon

SquirrelMeat said:

I was at a village BBQ this afternoon and there was a guy who said he was in mourning becasue of Prince.

I asked him if he was a big fan and he said, the biggest. So I asked he the last gig he went to. 'Oh sadly never got around to that' he said.

I asked him if he had a lot of the music and he said ' I have all of it. Purple Rain, 1999 and Around the World in 80 Days'.



Yeah that song. Around the world in 80 days was on charade album.
Baby, you're a star.

Meet me in another world, space and joy
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 05/01/16 9:30am

Moonbeam

avatar

GirlBrother said:

I actually find it a bit saddening that some music critics are only now praising him for his more "rock" performances. You know, the Superbowl performance, Creep, While My Guitar... It's almost like they're giving him a pass to some white rock club that he was previously barred from. And yes, the general public would have a more rounded view of his overall output, had he allowed YouTube uploads. So, it's partly his own fault. I actually prefer Prince with a microphone, synth and the Linn drum machine, than the six minute guitar solo histrionics. That's my Prince.


This is an excellent point. I'm too overwhelmed still to cast a critical eye to things, but you're right - the media are really focusing on his guitar heroics disproportionately.

Feel free to join in the Prince Album Poll 2018! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince albums, as decided by you!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 05/01/16 9:34am

djThunderfunk

avatar

I'm having a hard time not being an ass with anyone that tries to share music or facts they just discovered with me as if I didn't already have it or know it.

I've managed to keep it at, "Aww, that's cute! But yeah, I already know! Thanks for trying."
Which, now that I think about it, I guess I'm still being a bit of an ass after all. I could react worse, I suppose... wink

REEFER MADNESS!
Joe Biden still thinks marijuana is a gateway drug:
https://www.businessinsid...t-2019-11/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 05/01/16 9:35am

3rdeyedude

avatar

vandeluca said:

I know guys...but it doesn't matter. The fact that P touched so many lives is the important thing. It's not a contest. IT doesn't matter Maybe they really did like him based on their exposure. Let them mourn too;)

Yeah, you are right. I find it interesting that many mistakes are being made. Sometimes, it is just because they want to do a story or get attention. Other times, it is to pay tribute.(Kevin Smith's video, for example) Hard to tell sometimes though. It is also hard to see all the attention he is getting after years of getting very little attention. I think it is mostly the Purple Rain fans coming out of the woodwork.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 05/01/16 9:45am

NettieSmiles

"Dig you better Dead"... Sad but true, especially with the media and random folk turned on to him just because he died. If he were still alive, no one would care.

I miss him and still shed tears here and there, but fact remains: I loved his musical genius while he was alive and am blessed to have experienced him for over thirty years. The random fans are like " pearls to the swine", devouring him because it's hip to grieve this powerful icon. True love doesn't have to brag.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 05/01/16 10:08am

antonb

Even my sister has come to me and said i want to try and get into prince. And i said prince is best discovered. I just cannot be bothered to go into depth right now about how amazing he is. My sister loves music. If she loves it that much, she would already know.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 05/01/16 10:30am

Bohemian67

avatar

I'm with you on this one KingSausage. And it's like the org has been invaded. I suppose this is what it was like when Mj passed. Gee it has been 10 days. Still can't believe it. It's like he's coming back. Prince. I am here where are you ? sad
"Free URself, B the best that U can B, 3rd Apartment from the Sun, nothing left to fear" Prince Rogers Nelson - Forever in my Life -
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 05/01/16 10:30am

FrancisRaphael

Yes, excellent post. I find myself being defensive about these sorts of things too. People getting hip to someone they really didn't care too much about (i.e. didn't buy or listen to his music for decades) as some sort of grief-junkies.

And the comment above about him suddenly being revered (by some) as merely an 'axe-god' are spot-on. Some are trying to box him into a conservative culturally acceptable narrative which is easier for popular comsumption. It's like those dull males I had to argue endlessly with as a teenager who disdained him for the most superficial reasons ("Look at his clothes! He must be gay!"), and their modern-day contemporaries, are only capable of revering him once they can configure him in their preferred, depressingly conservative, 'axe-god' mode or trope.

I like his guitar-playing too, but like Girlbrother above said, I preferred his electronic, synthy, linn drum, absurdly melodious and/or funky stuff too. This is what I saw as the 'real' Prince. Of course, he had many, many facets, but these were the songs that touched me most deeply and most excited me.

I've been watching listening to lots of tributes/interviews like many of us here are doing, and it is tough to hear these sorts of mistakes, about things I (and us) would consider Prince studies 101! But, I'm trying to remain kind and loving.

To introduce people to some of his other (non-80s!) work, I've made out a playlist on Tidal of great songs only from 2004 and shared it on Facebook. Hopefully some of them will listen and discover some of the joys that we have always known about.

(Apologies again, but the spaces between paragraphs are disappearing when I post for some reason.)

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 5 12345>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Funny Things Non-Hardcore Fans Are Saying