independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > New Prince song "Hot Summer"
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 23 of 35 « First<192021222324252627>Last »

This is a "featured" topic! — From here you can jump to the « previous or next » featured topic.

  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #660 posted 06/08/10 6:46pm

hollywooddove

avatar

Maybe Prince is one of those artist who live so tightly within themself that he honestly believes everything he does is gold. I think what we see in these pieces of music lately is a little laziness, and oddly it was once a man who sang...

pardon us for breathing, can we borrow a little of your air.......

the only thing that's in our way is you, your old fashioned music, your old ideas....

and now he seems to be the one with the old ideas. Sad.

We are all so full of doody here
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #661 posted 06/08/10 6:52pm

Wall

avatar

weused2luvhim said:

How do you explain that someone who has a somewhat finicky taste for "good" music finds worth in this song, and you find it terrible?

I don't know who you're referring to, but if someone tells me this is what they think makes good pop music, I'd not trust their aesthetic in anything from that point forward. A fun pop song is Do You Believe In Magic or The Boy With The Thorn In His Side or Wouldn't It Be Nice? Prince has given us 3 minutes of saying Hot Summer over a generic beat. It's redundant after the first 40 seconds. It's like a nightmare mantra for some level 1 yogi who's tossing and turning in his bed, trying to wake up.

If you're a massive fan and you just want to give Prince a pass, right on, go buy that picture disc vinyl and put it with all the other shit you're never going to listen to, but if you want to have an intelligent discussion about Prince's music, don't try passing this thing off as anything other than a failed advert for Kool-Aid's new summer drinks.

No hard feelings.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #662 posted 06/08/10 6:58pm

SPOOKYGAS

avatar

Wall said:

weused2luvhim said:

How do you explain that someone who has a somewhat finicky taste for "good" music finds worth in this song, and you find it terrible?

I don't know who you're referring to, but if someone tells me this is what they think makes good pop music, I'd not trust their aesthetic in anything from that point forward. A fun pop song is Do You Believe In Magic or The Boy With The Thorn In His Side or Wouldn't It Be Nice? Prince has given us 3 minutes of saying Hot Summer over a generic beat. It's redundant after the first 40 seconds. It's like a nightmare mantra for some level 1 yogi who's tossing and turning in his bed, trying to wake up.

If you're a massive fan and you just want to give Prince a pass, right on, go buy that picture disc vinyl and put it with all the other shit you're never going to listen to, but if you want to have an intelligent discussion about Prince's music, don't try passing this thing off as anything other than a failed advert for Kool-Aid's new summer drinks.

How is Bart?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #663 posted 06/08/10 7:05pm

weused2luvhim

Wall said:

weused2luvhim said:

How do you explain that someone who has a somewhat finicky taste for "good" music finds worth in this song, and you find it terrible?

It's redundant after the first 40 seconds. It's like a nightmare mantra for some level 1 yogi who's tossing and turning in his bed, trying to wake up.

Glad there weren't internet forums when Louie Louie was released.

If you're not doing the fucking, then you're taking one.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #664 posted 06/08/10 7:24pm

TyphoonTip

cborgman said:

+1.

Far from great, but not terrible either. I just hope it doesn't make an appearance on the next album.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #665 posted 06/08/10 8:13pm

xlr8r

avatar

All of these comments are the same from the last 3-5 projetcs regarding Prince. The same people with the same attitudes and damn near same comments verbatim lol.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #666 posted 06/08/10 8:16pm

controversy99

avatar

murph said:

Anyone who says "Hot Summer" is on the laughable levels of "Purple & Gold" or has the tepid, boring feel of "Cause & Effect" is not listening with objective ears.....

Point blank, "Hot Summer" is a cute little pop song that at times gets too cute for its own good....If you take it as such, you wont spaz out and start calling it an abomination because he's not shredding the guitar or going into some experimental, genre-pushing surge...

I think Prince might be putting together a CHILDREN'S ALBUM.

Seriously. Hot Summer and Cause & Effect sound pretty decent as children's songs. They're catchy, bouncy, and fairly simple.

"Love & honesty, peace & harmony"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #667 posted 06/08/10 8:34pm

romeo77090

avatar

It's obvious that the song "Hot Summer" is only a demo track.

Eye'm sure the version on the new album will blow everyone's mind including the new version of "When Eye Lay My Hands On U"

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #668 posted 06/08/10 8:37pm

PicklesMcMilla
n

romeo77090 said:

It's obvious that the song "Hot Summer" is only a demo track.

Eye'm sure the version on the new album will blow everyone's mind including the new version of "When Eye Lay My Hands On U"

is this true ??

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #669 posted 06/08/10 8:50pm

NuPwrSoul

xlr8r said:

All of these comments are the same from the last 3-5 projetcs regarding Prince. The same people with the same attitudes and damn near same comments verbatim lol.

Speaking for myself, I was not a big fan of Purple and Gold or Cause and Effect... but Hot Summer is a light breezy song to drive to... I am not expecting (nor do I believe it was intended as) a major artistic statement.

I understand the criticism being leveled at the song by the more explanatory posts, but I'd save those sentiments for a project that Prince rolls out as a self-contained, deliberate piece of art (like a CD, project, etc.). Until then, I treat these as outtake style music. And as such Hot Summer is fine.

"That...magic, the start of something revolutionary-the Minneapolis Sound, we should cherish it and not punish prince for not being able to replicate it."-Dreamshaman32
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #670 posted 06/08/10 9:14pm

romeo77090

avatar

Eye like how Prince is now sharing outtakes and demos with the general public before the release of his albums such as:

Turn Me Loose

In A Large Room With No Light

Cause And Effect

Hot Summer

As a true Prince fan, Eye've always enjoyed the songs that never made the album cut and eye still do. If these songs have gotten your panties in a bunch then eye suggest some of U seek help.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #671 posted 06/08/10 9:58pm

KCOOLMUZIQ

romeo77090 said:

Eye like how Prince is now sharing outtakes and demos with the general public before the release of his albums such as:

Turn Me Loose

In A Large Room With No Light

Cause And Effect

Hot Summer

As a true Prince fan, Eye've always enjoyed the songs that never made the album cut and eye still do. If these songs have gotten your panties in a bunch then eye suggest some of U seek help.

I think it will be a revamped remix version of the new mega hit single "Hot Summer" released with Prince replacing the vocals with his unique multi layered vocals soon.

eye will ALWAYS think of prince like a "ACT OF GOD"! N another realm. eye mean of all people who might of been aliens or angels.if found out that prince wasn't of this earth, eye would not have been that surprised. R.I.P. prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #672 posted 06/08/10 10:32pm

mymondo

KCOOLMUZIQ said:

romeo77090 said:

Eye like how Prince is now sharing outtakes and demos with the general public before the release of his albums such as:

Turn Me Loose

In A Large Room With No Light

Cause And Effect

Hot Summer

As a true Prince fan, Eye've always enjoyed the songs that never made the album cut and eye still do. If these songs have gotten your panties in a bunch then eye suggest some of U seek help.

I think it will be a revamped remix version of the new mega hit single "Hot Summer" released with Prince replacing the vocals with his unique multi layered vocals soon.

Now ur talking! wink

Here's hoping. The new song is a demo for sure and think multi-layered vocals is a must!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #673 posted 06/08/10 10:38pm

Gohi

You can put lipstick on a pig, but...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #674 posted 06/08/10 10:41pm

erik319

avatar

KCOOLMUZIQ said:



romeo77090 said:


Eye like how Prince is now sharing outtakes and demos with the general public before the release of his albums such as:



Turn Me Loose


In A Large Room With No Light


Cause And Effect


Hot Summer



As a true Prince fan, Eye've always enjoyed the songs that never made the album cut and eye still do. If these songs have gotten your panties in a bunch then eye suggest some of U seek help.




I think it will be a revamped remix version of the new mega hit single "Hot Summer" released with Prince replacing the vocals with his unique multi layered vocals soon.




You can't polish a turd.
blah blah blah
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #675 posted 06/08/10 10:55pm

romeo77090

avatar

erik319 said:

You can't polish a turd.

[Snip - luv4u]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #676 posted 06/08/10 10:59pm

toejam

avatar

erik319 said: You can't polish a turd.

Not so true:

lol

Toejam @ Peach & Black Podcast: http://peachandblack.podbean.com
Toejam's band "Cheap Fakes": http://cheapfakes.com.au, http://www.facebook.com/cheapfakes
Toejam the solo artist: http://www.youtube.com/scottbignell
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #677 posted 06/08/10 11:12pm

PicklesMcMilla
n

toejam said:

erik319 said: You can't polish a turd.

Not so true:

lol

toejam !!! i love your name lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #678 posted 06/08/10 11:25pm

kewlschool

avatar

squirrelgrease said:

After a shitload of repeated listens, I really dig this track. It is what it is - Purple Pop. It doesn't surprise me that I like it, since The Morning After gets repeated listens too. Is the song a classic? No. But it sho 'nuff do be cookin' in my book.

Remember... Don't hate. Masturbate.

Anyhoo, I made an iTunes cover for my iPod for shits & giggles and thought I'd share:

[img:$uid]http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac268/squirrelgrease2009/PrinceBootlegs/Prince_Hot_Summer.jpg[/img:$uid]

:clicksave:

How is it our resident fancy lesbian and funny HATER (squirrelgrease) likes this new song! faint

I'll have to rethink your title. hmmm

99.9% of everything I say is strictly for my own entertainment
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #679 posted 06/08/10 11:33pm

KCOOLMUZIQ

romeo77090 said:

erik319 said:

You can't polish a turd.

[Snip - luv4u]

Exactly!

[Edited 6/8/10 23:56pm]

eye will ALWAYS think of prince like a "ACT OF GOD"! N another realm. eye mean of all people who might of been aliens or angels.if found out that prince wasn't of this earth, eye would not have been that surprised. R.I.P. prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #680 posted 06/08/10 11:34pm

erik319

avatar

romeo77090 said:



erik319 said:


You can't polish a turd.

[Snip - luv4u]




ooh personal attacks and typing in bold. You're my favourite type of fam.
blah blah blah
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #681 posted 06/08/10 11:41pm

erik319

avatar

toejam said:



erik319 said: You can't polish a turd.





Not so true:





lol



fantastic! :)

still wouldn't have one above the mantlepiece though lol
blah blah blah
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #682 posted 06/08/10 11:56pm

Fauxie

avatar

MIRvmn said:

Sorry there was some problem when I should post my reply

As a result you were wrong multiple times. lol

MY COUSIN WORKS IN A PHARMACY AND SHE SAID THEY ENEMA'D PRANCE INTO OBLIVION WITH FENTONILS!!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #683 posted 06/09/10 12:07am

Fauxie

avatar

murph said:

BobPaisleyPark said:

"Solo"

"Purple and Gold"

"Hot Summer"

"Wedding Feast"

Make's one envy the deaf.

You fools trying to compare "Hot Summer" to "Purple and Gold" are wilding out...I guess, this is what it's come too on this site....lol

"Purple and Gold" wasn't just awful for a Prince song....That shit was awful all the way around...

Not just awful for Prince but awful for music in general is how I see "Hot Summer". It's an awful song, like 'Purple & Gold'.

MY COUSIN WORKS IN A PHARMACY AND SHE SAID THEY ENEMA'D PRANCE INTO OBLIVION WITH FENTONILS!!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #684 posted 06/09/10 12:19am

Fauxie

avatar

keyboardwizz said:

NouveauDance said:

When the best thing you can say about an artists latest output is "at least he's not dead", you know you're clutching at straw

Don t B surprised if Michael actual releases a song someday soon, at least he's not dead either.... And it s probably what the song s hot summer is about.

[Prince youtube snip - luv4u]

"He knows something none of us really know. let s wait it out you never know. Ultimately we all gotta come back home, so just let us make a home for him"

Read more about the lyrics of Hot Summer here: http://michaeljacksonhoax...mp;t=10660

Um, those people at that site (you included, apparently) believe MJ isn't dead? lol

I'm sorry, but that's just silly. I just spent a couple of minutes reading some of the posts there and it's just incredible comedy. Are there really lots of MJ fans who still can't let go, this long after MJ's death?

MY COUSIN WORKS IN A PHARMACY AND SHE SAID THEY ENEMA'D PRANCE INTO OBLIVION WITH FENTONILS!!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #685 posted 06/09/10 1:13am

robinhood

avatar

Fauxie said:

keyboardwizz said:

Don t B surprised if Michael actual releases a song someday soon, at least he's not dead either.... And it s probably what the song s hot summer is about.

[Prince youtube snip - luv4u]

"He knows something none of us really know. let s wait it out you never know. Ultimately we all gotta come back home, so just let us make a home for him"

Read more about the lyrics of Hot Summer here: http://michaeljacksonhoax...mp;t=10660

Um, those people at that site (you included, apparently) believe MJ isn't dead? lol

I'm sorry, but that's just silly. I just spent a couple of minutes reading some of the posts there and it's just incredible comedy. Are there really lots of MJ fans who still can't let go, this long after MJ's death?

physically, he's gone. but if i put on an MJ song right now, he doesnt sound dead to me. he's immortal in the moment, anytime, anywhere, anyhow.

i think prince was right to say 'we all gotta come back home', MJ is home, but not because of any 'home' anyone created for him, or whatever 'home' Prince suggested we all make for him, or the fact that Prince never did.

this too shall pass
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #686 posted 06/09/10 1:16am

Serena

Fauxie said:

keyboardwizz said:

Don t B surprised if Michael actual releases a song someday soon, at least he's not dead either.... And it s probably what the song s hot summer is about.

[Prince youtube snip - luv4u]

"He knows something none of us really know. let s wait it out you never know. Ultimately we all gotta come back home, so just let us make a home for him"

Read more about the lyrics of Hot Summer here: http://michaeljacksonhoax...mp;t=10660

Um, those people at that site (you included, apparently) believe MJ isn't dead? lol

I'm sorry, but that's just silly. I just spent a couple of minutes reading some of the posts there and it's just incredible comedy. Are there really lots of MJ fans who still can't let go, this long after MJ's death?

eek eek eek

Holy crap, that's a boatload of crazy over there! They think that Prince wrote the song with lyrics related to "Ben" and that it means MJ is coming back this summer?!?! faint

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #687 posted 06/09/10 1:19am

nuthinbuttamuf
fin

avatar

I've said this before, as with most Prince songs now... on record they sound week and too sugary. Guitars turned down low, cheesy keyboards high in the mix and the drums awful.

BUT!!!!

Live his tunes come alive. Hot Summer live will sound good! Think of Fury. On record? Meh! Live? Kicks Ass!

I think he should just record stuff live... like PR album.

----------

AND I GOTTA ALOTTA BUTTA 2 GO!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #688 posted 06/09/10 1:37am

bigd74

avatar

squirrelgrease said:

After a shitload of repeated listens, I really dig this track. It is what it is - Purple Pop. It doesn't surprise me that I like it, since The Morning After gets repeated listens too. Is the song a classic? No. But it sho 'nuff do be cookin' in my book.

Remember... Don't hate. Masturbate.

Anyhoo, I made an iTunes cover for my iPod for shits & giggles and thought I'd share:

[img:$uid]http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac268/squirrelgrease2009/PrinceBootlegs/Prince_Hot_Summer.jpg[/img:$uid]

Right click save. thumbs up! Blimey, SG and Ernest giving props to a new Prince track on the same thread, i think i've just shit my pants.

She Believed in Fairytales and Princes, He Believed the voices coming from his stereo

If I Said You Had A Beautiful Body Would You Hold It Against Me?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #689 posted 06/09/10 1:42am

Fauxie

avatar

Serena said:

Fauxie said:

Um, those people at that site (you included, apparently) believe MJ isn't dead? lol

I'm sorry, but that's just silly. I just spent a couple of minutes reading some of the posts there and it's just incredible comedy. Are there really lots of MJ fans who still can't let go, this long after MJ's death?

eek eek eek

Holy crap, that's a boatload of crazy over there! They think that Prince wrote the song with lyrics related to "Ben" and that it means MJ is coming back this summer?!?! faint

It's really something else, huh. lol Check out some of the other forums if you need a giggle/or to shake your head in disbelief.

MY COUSIN WORKS IN A PHARMACY AND SHE SAID THEY ENEMA'D PRANCE INTO OBLIVION WITH FENTONILS!!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 23 of 35 « First<192021222324252627>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)

This is a "featured" topic! — From here you can jump to the « previous or next » featured topic.

« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > New Prince song "Hot Summer"