independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 22nd Sep 2014 7:16pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > M.I.A. flips the bird at the SuperBowl---a smart career move for her?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #120 posted 02/10/12 6:22pm

aardvark15

avatar

Timmy84 said:

MadamGoodnight said:

That's what she gets for putting M.I.A up there. She knew who she was performing with. That's the chance you take. If she wanted a safe, clean show she could've gotten someone else. Don't complain now. Too late. confused

Plus M.I.A. is on her album... TWICE!

Well now we know one song that won't be a single

"Do Me, Baby...oh, oh, OOOOOOOOOOOH"
"Scandalous I'm talkin' bout u n me"
"Insatiable's my name when it comes 2 u"
"When 2 R N Love their bodies shiver at the mere contemplation of penetration"
"Flesh against flesh, And God Created Woman"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #121 posted 02/10/12 7:14pm

Pr1nceQuik

avatar

NaughtyKitty said:

MADONNA-M.I.A.'s Middle Finger Stunt Was Stupid and Childish

0210_madonna_mia_audio_BN
Madonna
is lashing out at M.I.A.'s bird-flipping grab for attention during the Super Bowl Halftime show last weekend -- claiming the crude gesture was a "teenager ... irrelevant thing to do."

Madonna called in to "On Air with Ryan Seacrest" this morning -- saying, "I was really surprised. I didn’t know anything about it. I wasn’t happy about it."

Madonna told Ryan, "I understand it’s punk rock and everything, but to me there was such a feeling of love and good energy, and positivity, it seemed negative. It’s such a teenager ... irrelevant thing to do ... there was such a feeling of love and unity there. What was the point?"

Madge added, "It was just out of place."

update_bar
Madonna just called in to Carson Daly too, saying M.I.A. has since apologized to her over the incident.

I see the old whore is throwing MIA under the bus. Horrible, horrible woman. Words can't describe how much I despise this old whore.

Be glad that you are Free, Free to change your mind. Free to go almost anywhere anytime
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #122 posted 02/10/12 7:50pm

go2theMax

avatar

the funniest thing in this thread (and some others) is how some people ran out of argument 2 defend their favorite singers (obvious example: janet) on some subjects, so they go from thread 2 thread downplaying Madonna...I don't need even need 2 read their opinions, I just see the avatar, the rest is implied...it's kinda a mantra lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #123 posted 02/11/12 6:59am

LayzieKrayzie

avatar

I thought that was stupid of her to do. At first I thought it was really dumb, but I started not wanting to say anything about it though because I started hearing people say things about her doing that and getting all pissy, and they have no idea who she is. I'm sitting here thinking "I actually know who she is and understood what that was all about and I disagree with it, but you have no idea who she is, and the things you're saying about her aren't true at all, so don't speak about shit you don't know anything about". So now, I still think it was stupid, but I don't want to thrown in with that crowd.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #124 posted 02/11/12 8:58am

SoulAlive

LayzieKrayzie said:

I thought that was stupid of her to do. At first I thought it was really dumb, but I started not wanting to say anything about it though because I started hearing people say things about her doing that and getting all pissy, and they have no idea who she is. I'm sitting here thinking "I actually know who she is and understood what that was all about and I disagree with it, but you have no idea who she is, and the things you're saying about her aren't true at all, so don't speak about shit you don't know anything about". So now, I still think it was stupid, but I don't want to thrown in with that crowd.

I think it was a stupid thing to do at the SuperBowl,especially after Janet Jackson ruined it for everyone lol Thanks to her,nobody can do anything "controversial" at the Super Bowl without pissing alot of people off.If M.I.A had done this anywhere else,no one would have cared.She picked the wrong place to get rebellious.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #125 posted 02/11/12 9:32am

free2bfreeda

avatar

lazycrockett said:

Vadge is only for controversy when she is the provocateur. Plus shes OLD now.

[Edited 2/10/12 18:05pm]

yeah, madonna keeps re-inventing herself, now she seems like hypocritical. like, "don't do what i do, just what i say.

madonna flip off

words from madonna on m.i.a.:

“I mean, I wasn’t happy about it because for me — I mean, I understand it’s kind of punk rock and everything but you know, to me, there was such a feeling of love and good energy and positivity, I just, um, it seemed negative,” she added. “You know what I mean? It’s one of those things, it’s such a teenager, in a way, kind of irrelevant thing to do in one respect. But on the other hand, there was such a feeling of love and unity there. What was the point? It was just out of place.”
Read more: http://allieiswired.com/archives/2012/02/madonna-responds-to-m-i-a-s-middle-finger-listen-here/#ixzz1m5xXpCop

Well, it's not like Madonna is known for her good girl image anyway.

Well, it's not like Madonna is known for her good girl image anyway. I'm sure M.I.A. felt she was as much a star as Madonna. (especially in Britian). i wish more people would post more"flipping-off" of Madonna, so her current moral transparency can be exposed.

nod

i'm not pro or con to M.I.A.'s stage gesture, but it makes me think of a quote from the premier showing of the starwars movie: "Who's the more foolish...the fool or the fool who follows him/her?"

[Edited 2/11/12 9:45am]

The truth is often a terrible weapon of aggression. “Those who are capable of tyranny and injustice are capable of perjury to sustain it.”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #126 posted 02/11/12 9:40am

SoulAlive

Madonna is not against doing things that are "controversial"...she's made a whole career out of that.The problem is...after Nipplegate,you can't do that kinda stuff at the SuperBowl.Janet learned that the hard way.During your own concert,it's fine to do whatever the fuck you want.The SuperBowl has a whole different set of rules.They now make artists sign contracts that hold them liable for any indency fines that the NFL or network receives.

There's a time and place for everything.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #127 posted 02/11/12 9:58am

free2bfreeda

avatar

SoulAlive said:

Madonna is not against doing things that are "controversial"...she's made a whole career out of that.The problem is...after Nipplegate,you can't do that kinda stuff at the SuperBowl.Janet learned that the hard way.During your own concert,it's fine to do whatever the fuck you want.The SuperBowl has a whole different set of rules.They now make artists sign contracts that hold them liable for any indency fines that the NFL or network receives.

There's a time and place for everything.

Stock Vec... Janet got the brunt the bad press and pix because of Justin's act!

CLICK IN ...

Justin was back on track in no time. i wonder if the fly of his trousers would have malfunctioned what price

he would have had to pay.

The truth is often a terrible weapon of aggression. “Those who are capable of tyranny and injustice are capable of perjury to sustain it.”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #128 posted 02/11/12 10:01am

SoulAlive

Oh I agree..Janet got a raw deal while Justin's career survived.It's not fair.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #129 posted 02/11/12 12:11pm

aardvark15

avatar

SoulAlive said:

Oh I agree..Janet got a raw deal while Justin's career survived.It's not fair.

Well his is dead now so I guess it's even lol

"Do Me, Baby...oh, oh, OOOOOOOOOOOH"
"Scandalous I'm talkin' bout u n me"
"Insatiable's my name when it comes 2 u"
"When 2 R N Love their bodies shiver at the mere contemplation of penetration"
"Flesh against flesh, And God Created Woman"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #130 posted 02/11/12 12:34pm

excited

avatar

lol she's a rebel!.. it won't hurt her career at all.

madonna must hate that her own performance has become less memorable than mia's rude finger. anyway all that fuss over that when madonna is flashing her 50 something granny gash? now that was more offensive

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #131 posted 02/11/12 12:35pm

Timmy84

excited said:

lol she's a rebel!.. it won't hurt her career at all.

madonna must hate that her own performance has become less memorable than mia's rude finger. anyway all that fuss over that when madonna is flashing her 50 something granny gash? now that was more offensive

lazycrockett posted some pictures of Madonna's gash. giggle

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #132 posted 02/11/12 12:38pm

babybugz

avatar

bored

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #133 posted 02/11/12 12:39pm

excited

avatar

Timmy84 said:

excited said:

lol she's a rebel!.. it won't hurt her career at all.

madonna must hate that her own performance has become less memorable than mia's rude finger. anyway all that fuss over that when madonna is flashing her 50 something granny gash? now that was more offensive

lazycrockett posted some pictures of Madonna's gash. giggle

lol i won't rush to look at them!.. but she was dancing like a slut, camera strategicly placed. she's bloody horrible!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #134 posted 02/11/12 12:42pm

free2bfreeda

avatar

aardvark15 said:

SoulAlive said:

Oh I agree..Janet got a raw deal while Justin's career survived.It's not fair.

Well his (justin's) is dead now so I guess it's even lol

well, maybe not so in regard to justin : http://blog.moviefone.com...ke-biopic/

Elton John Wants Justin Timberlake to Play Him in His Biopic

Posted Jan 3rd 2012 7:40AM
excerpt:
Finally, Justin Timberlake may have found the role that combines music and acting. In an interview with the Los Angeles Times, Elton John revealed that the former Mouseketeer is at the top of his list to play him in an upcoming biopic. "I've got a wish list of people. No. 1 on my wish list is Justin Timberlake, because he played me before in a David LaChapelle video of 'Rocket Man' and was superb," said John.

i'm aware that this post is in sidebar mode, but be aware justin is busy networking it! the man just turned 32 and seems to stay very busy.
Jan 4 2012 1:18 PM EST 8,654

Justin Timberlake 'Seriously' Considering Elton John Role

yep! justin's moving forward w/out a glitch and it's cool. however the media is still kicking janet. maybe it's because she's a woman?
The truth is often a terrible weapon of aggression. “Those who are capable of tyranny and injustice are capable of perjury to sustain it.”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #135 posted 02/11/12 12:43pm

SoulAlive

aardvark15 said:

SoulAlive said:

Oh I agree..Janet got a raw deal while Justin's career survived.It's not fair.

Well his is dead now so I guess it's even lol

nah,Justin's career ain't dead lol He's just doing other things besides music right now.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #136 posted 02/11/12 12:45pm

aardvark15

avatar

free2bfreeda said:

aardvark15 said:

Well his (justin's) is dead now so I guess it's even lol

well, maybe not so in regard to justin : http://blog.moviefone.com...ke-biopic/

Elton John Wants Justin Timberlake to Play Him in His Biopic

Posted Jan 3rd 2012 7:40AM
excerpt:
Finally, Justin Timberlake may have found the role that combines music and acting. In an interview with the Los Angeles Times, Elton John revealed that the former Mouseketeer is at the top of his list to play him in an upcoming biopic. "I've got a wish list of people. No. 1 on my wish list is Justin Timberlake, because he played me before in a David LaChapelle video of 'Rocket Man' and was superb," said John.

i'm aware that this post is in sidebar mode, but be aware justin is busy networking it! the man just turned 32 and seems to stay very busy.
Jan 4 2012 1:18 PM EST 8,654

Justin Timberlake 'Seriously' Considering Elton John Role

yep! justin's moving forward w/out a glitch and it's cool. however the media is still kicking janet. maybe it's because she's a woman?

I'm sure Madonna and Janet aren't too happy about this lol

"Do Me, Baby...oh, oh, OOOOOOOOOOOH"
"Scandalous I'm talkin' bout u n me"
"Insatiable's my name when it comes 2 u"
"When 2 R N Love their bodies shiver at the mere contemplation of penetration"
"Flesh against flesh, And God Created Woman"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #137 posted 02/11/12 12:46pm

SoulAlive

free2bfreeda said:

aardvark15 said:

Well his (justin's) is dead now so I guess it's even lol

well, maybe not so in regard to justin : http://blog.moviefone.com...ke-biopic/

Elton John Wants Justin Timberlake to Play Him in His Biopic

Posted Jan 3rd 2012 7:40AM
excerpt:
Finally, Justin Timberlake may have found the role that combines music and acting. In an interview with the Los Angeles Times, Elton John revealed that the former Mouseketeer is at the top of his list to play him in an upcoming biopic. "I've got a wish list of people. No. 1 on my wish list is Justin Timberlake, because he played me before in a David LaChapelle video of 'Rocket Man' and was superb," said John.

i'm aware that this post is in sidebar mode, but be aware justin is busy networking it! the man just turned 32 and seems to stay very busy.
Jan 4 2012 1:18 PM EST 8,654

Justin Timberlake 'Seriously' Considering Elton John Role

yep! justin's moving forward w/out a glitch and it's cool. however the media is still kicking janet. maybe it's because she's a woman?

Janet's problem is that,in the first few years after the SuperBowl,she didn't grow and evolve.If she had delivered an amazing album,folks would have forgotten all about her "wardrobe malfunction".

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #138 posted 02/11/12 12:46pm

Timmy84

Reductive motherfucker. bored2

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #139 posted 02/11/12 12:53pm

lazycrockett

avatar

Timmy84 said:

excited said:

lol she's a rebel!.. it won't hurt her career at all.

madonna must hate that her own performance has become less memorable than mia's rude finger. anyway all that fuss over that when madonna is flashing her 50 something granny gash? now that was more offensive

lazycrockett posted some pictures of Madonna's gash. giggle

Just so you do have to look too hard.

The Most Important Thing In Life Is Sincerity....Once You Can Fake That, You Can Fake Anything.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #140 posted 02/11/12 1:05pm

babybugz

avatar

Timmy84 said:

Reductive motherfucker. bored2

The word Reductive is so played out. bored2 and lol at Justin not having a career.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #141 posted 02/11/12 1:21pm

free2bfreeda

avatar

SoulAlive said:

Janet's problem is that,in the first few years after the SuperBowl,she didn't grow and evolve.If she had delivered an amazing album,folks would have forgotten all about her "wardrobe malfunction".

and i totally agree with you.

it would have been great for janet to move forward and continue to grow at that time inspite of all the negative press, the demands for her apologies for the wr-malfunction, the accessments of the (possibilities) of her being fined, being totally and seemingly abandoned by justin timberlake and most likely suffering through post superbowl depression. heck for her to quicky evolve past all that wookie fodder during that time she would have had to be a super-woman. or maybe she could have hired a good pharmaceutically-connected therapist to get her through a very rough phase in her life (and end up a doctor's junkie).

janet did what was best for janet, and i commend her for that. hugs 2 janet

The truth is often a terrible weapon of aggression. “Those who are capable of tyranny and injustice are capable of perjury to sustain it.”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #142 posted 02/11/12 1:35pm

Timmy84

babybugz said:

Timmy84 said:

Reductive motherfucker. bored2

The word Reductive is so played out. bored2 and lol at Justin not having a career.

These Madonna threads are played out. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #143 posted 02/11/12 1:51pm

sfinky1

avatar

Asolutely a smart career move for MIA.

No ones written a word about or even barely noticed that Nicky Minaj was on the stage aswell?

If MIA did nothing then she wouldve ended up like that too. Instead MIA took the few seconds the camera was on her to her advantage. Got her name in all the headlines next to Madge - who must be super PISSED about it.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #144 posted 02/11/12 1:59pm

excited

avatar

lazycrockett said:

Timmy84 said:

lazycrockett posted some pictures of Madonna's gash. giggle

Just so you do have to look too hard.

flipping heck i dunno what is more revolting, her snatchy bits or her neck

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #145 posted 02/11/12 2:00pm

SoulAlive

sfinky1 said:

Asolutely a smart career move for MIA. No ones written a word about or even barely noticed that Nicky Minaj was on the stage aswell? If MIA did nothing then she wouldve ended up like that too. Instead MIA took the few seconds the camera was on her to her advantage. Got her name in all the headlines next to Madge - who must be super PISSED about it.

lol..I don't think Madonna or Nicki needed that kind of publicity.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #146 posted 02/11/12 2:28pm

free2bfreeda

avatar

sfinky1 said:

Asolutely a smart career move for MIA. No ones written a word about or even barely noticed that Nicky Minaj was on the stage aswell? If MIA did nothing then she wouldve ended up like that too. Instead MIA took the few seconds the camera was on her to her advantage. Got her name in all the headlines next to Madge - who must be super PISSED about it.

famous quote:

No one can go on being a rebel too long without turning into an autocrat.
Lawrence Durrell

madonna started out being a rebel. she should have known M.I.A. is a self made tapestry in the color of rebellion. and m.i.a. ain't no naive aged young thing. she's 36yrs old. she knows what she was doing and gives less than a fat damn who's upset about her following the actions of madonna on stage by flipping the finger.

(imo her looks are very beautiful)

m.i.a., whose real name is Mathangi "Maya" Arulpragasam is a real war baby.

The first nine years of M.I.A.'s life were marked by displacement caused by the Sri Lankan civil war. Her family went into hiding from the Sri Lankan Army and M.I.A. had very limited contact with her father during this period. M.I.A. has described her family as living in "big-time" poverty during her childhood, but also recalls some of her happiest memories from growing up in Jaffna.

M.I.A. attended Tamil Hindu and convent schools such as the Holy Family Convent, Jaffna where she developed her art skills — painting in particular — to work her way up her class. During the civil war, she notes as "bullying exploitation" the way soldiers from Sri Lanka's military would put guns through holes in the windows and shoot at the school. Her classmates were trained to dive under the table or run next door to English-language schools that, according to her, "wouldn’t get shot". She had lived on a road alongside much of her extended family, and played inside temples and churches in the town. M.I.A.'s family relocated to Chennai in Tamil Nadu, India where they lived in a derelict house and received sporadic visits from M.I.A.'s father, who was introduced to the children as their "uncle". The family resettled in Jaffna temporarily, only to see the war escalate further in the north east and M.I.A.'s school was destroyed in a government raid. After experiencing violence at the hands of soldiers, M.I.A.'s mother moved with her children back to London in 1986 where they were housed as refugees. Arular remained on the island and became an independent peace mediator between the two sides of the civil war in the late 1980s.

read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/w...A._(artist)

seems like madonna should have done her homework.

[Edited 2/11/12 14:49pm]

The truth is often a terrible weapon of aggression. “Those who are capable of tyranny and injustice are capable of perjury to sustain it.”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #147 posted 02/11/12 2:55pm

free2bfreeda

avatar

dizzyman asked me, why didn't that lady wear black opaque stockings?

[Edited 2/11/12 15:17pm]

The truth is often a terrible weapon of aggression. “Those who are capable of tyranny and injustice are capable of perjury to sustain it.”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #148 posted 02/12/12 6:15am

Pomade

Not a fan of any of the 3 ladies. My only concern is the immpact it might have on younger, urban female acts being considered for inclusion in the halftime show.

I recall a slew of old acts following Janet's.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #149 posted 02/12/12 7:13am

LayzieKrayzie

avatar

SoulAlive said:

LayzieKrayzie said:

I thought that was stupid of her to do. At first I thought it was really dumb, but I started not wanting to say anything about it though because I started hearing people say things about her doing that and getting all pissy, and they have no idea who she is. I'm sitting here thinking "I actually know who she is and understood what that was all about and I disagree with it, but you have no idea who she is, and the things you're saying about her aren't true at all, so don't speak about shit you don't know anything about". So now, I still think it was stupid, but I don't want to thrown in with that crowd.

I think it was a stupid thing to do at the SuperBowl,especially after Janet Jackson ruined it for everyone lol Thanks to her,nobody can do anything "controversial" at the Super Bowl without pissing alot of people off.If M.I.A had done this anywhere else,no one would have cared.She picked the wrong place to get rebellious.

I also think it was stupid at at the Super Bowl as opposed to most other places. But for me it's because of how many families and little kids across the country were watching. I understand they may not have noticed but still. For ones that might have, their parents shouldn't have to be put in the position to have to explain that to their kids. If I knew her I would tell her how rebellious she ISN'T being but just how stupid she is. You could find a better way to be controversial or rebellious without doing something that means "fuck you" for young kids and their families to see.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > M.I.A. flips the bird at the SuperBowl---a smart career move for her?