independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 1st Sep 2014 6:50pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > The Best of Soul Train 3-10-07
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 03/10/07 5:05pm

theAudience

avatar

The Best of Soul Train 3-10-07

Here's a pickin' everybody's sho nuff diggin'.


She's Just a Groupie - Bobby Nunn
Young Love - Janet Jackson

Performance: Vanity 6 - Nasty Girl

Scramble Board tune (Stevie Wonder): Doo Wa Ditty - Zapp

Soul Train History Book: Grease - Frankie Valli

Change - Barry White

Performance: Carl Carlton - Baby I Need Your Lovin'

Muscles - Diana Ross

Performance: Vanity 6 - He's So Dull

Soul Train Line: 1999 - Prince

Performance: Carl Carlton - Swing That Sexy Thing


Love, Peace & SOUL


tA

peace Tribal Disorder

http://www.soundclick.com...dID=182431
"Ya see, we're not interested in what you know...but what you are willing to learn. C'mon y'all."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 03/10/07 8:21pm

NWF

avatar

Freakin' awesome! thumbs up!


Great to hear some quality Soul music from back in the day. Vanity 6 and Prince! excited


I never used to watch the Soul Train of today. The music sucked and it was just boring. But it's great to see the old school episodes.
NEW WAVE FOREVER: SLAVE TO THE WAVE FROM THE CRADLE TO THE GRAVE.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 03/10/07 8:29pm

funkpill

avatar

theAudience said:

Here's a pickin' everybody's sho nuff diggin'.


She's Just a Groupie - Bobby Nunn
Young Love - Janet Jackson

Performance: Vanity 6 - Nasty Girl

Scramble Board tune (Stevie Wonder): Doo Wa Ditty - Zapp

Soul Train History Book: Grease - Frankie Valli

Change - Barry White

Performance: Carl Carlton - Baby I Need Your Lovin'

Muscles - Diana Ross

Performance: Vanity 6 - He's So Dull

Soul Train Line: 1999 - Prince

Performance: Carl Carlton - Swing That Sexy Thing


Love, Peace & SOUL


tA

peace Tribal Disorder

http://www.soundclick.com...dID=182431




I like when you do this lol


And I even seen it today..

Still wait for the Bootsy show neutral
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 03/10/07 8:50pm

theAudience

avatar

funkpill said:



I like when you do this lol

Thanks. smile

It's a fun watch.
I keep hoping i'll get a glimpse of Rosie Perez. love


tA

peace Tribal Disorder

http://www.soundclick.com...dID=182431
"Ya see, we're not interested in what you know...but what you are willing to learn. C'mon y'all."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 03/10/07 10:06pm

ThreadCula

avatar

Im watching it now even though Im really sleepy lol

That dancer with the really long hair,wonder what she's doing today
"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood...NOBODY!"
johnart says: "I'm THE shit"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 03/11/07 12:41am

JesseDezz

ThreadCula said:

Im watching it now even though Im really sleepy lol

That dancer with the really long hair,wonder what she's doing today


I was thinking the same thing - she probably looks the same! I was also wondering about that guy Louie - the light skinned brutha who always wore the shades and threw his hands up more than he actually danced. He was the one who opened his shirt on this episode while "Muscles" was playing.

Isn't it amazing the impression some of these dancers made?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 03/11/07 7:12am

SPYZFAN1

My brother and I watched a video compilation of vids from 1987 to 1990 and I was amazed how many videos Louie was in. I wonder where he is today?

The Carl Carlton interview was funny..my man had sweat and S-Curl juice running all down his face during the interview. I hope they play the episode when Vanity
peformed solo (I think it was during the "Wild Animal" era)..dudes in the crowd were going ballistic..holding up dollar bills.

Still waiting on the Bootsy show.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 03/11/07 10:28am

theAudience

avatar

JessDezz said:

I was thinking the same thing - she probably looks the same! I was also wondering about that guy Louie - the light skinned brutha who always wore the shades and threw his hands up more than he actually danced. He was the one who opened his shirt on this episode while "Muscles" was playing.

Isn't it amazing the impression some of these dancers made?


SPYZFAN1 said:

My brother and I watched a video compilation of vids from 1987 to 1990 and I was amazed how many videos Louie was in. I wonder where he is today?


A photo from a 2004 Soul Train Dancers reunion...



...and yes, he still pointing. disbelief


I always got the impression he was attempting to channel MJ for some reason. confuse


tA

peace Tribal Disorder

http://www.soundclick.com...dID=182431
"Ya see, we're not interested in what you know...but what you are willing to learn. C'mon y'all."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 03/11/07 10:37am

theAudience

avatar

ThreadCula said:


That dancer with the really long hair,wonder what she's doing today

Cheryl Song (far right)...



...from a 2004 STD (that doesn't look right - Soul Train Dancer) reunion.

Damita Jo Freeman (another dancer) is to her left.


tA

peace Tribal Disorder

http://www.soundclick.com...dID=182431
"Ya see, we're not interested in what you know...but what you are willing to learn. C'mon y'all."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 03/11/07 11:07am

CoolMF

As a Prince fan, that was a really cool episode to catch, maybe the best one that I've seen since I started catching these (a few weeks ago). The Janet song was interesting. I'd never heard that Bobby Nunn tune, but it was jammin' and I'm trying to download it now. Vanity was f----- beautiful on stage. I like how Don introduced them with the "wrote and produced all of the songs on their debut album" and started their interview with (appropriately) "they bad, ain't they?" I only wished Carl Carlton would've performed "Bad Mamma Jamma". The Frankie Valli clip was pretty damn cool- I didn't know he had so much soul. Speaking of having soul, or lack thereof, what was up with the blonde white girl in the Soul Train line?

My Tivo is set for Soul Train every Sat. (comes on at midnight down here) and watching it is one of the highlights of my Sundays. I just hope that they have DOPE episodes to hold me through those July and August Sundays when there's no basketball or football.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 03/11/07 11:40am

ThreadCula

avatar

theAudience said:

ThreadCula said:


That dancer with the really long hair,wonder what she's doing today

Cheryl Song (far right)...



...from a 2004 STD (that doesn't look right - Soul Train Dancer) reunion.

Damita Jo Freeman (another dancer) is to her left.


tA

peace Tribal Disorder

http://www.soundclick.com...dID=182431



OMG!!!!! eek Thank you!!!!!
"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood...NOBODY!"
johnart says: "I'm THE shit"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 03/11/07 2:03pm

VinnyM27

avatar

Fuck, I don't believe I forgot to watch this! What an episode!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 03/12/07 1:45am

SoulAlive

theAudience said:

JessDezz said:

I was thinking the same thing - she probably looks the same! I was also wondering about that guy Louie - the light skinned brutha who always wore the shades and threw his hands up more than he actually danced. He was the one who opened his shirt on this episode while "Muscles" was playing.

Isn't it amazing the impression some of these dancers made?


SPYZFAN1 said:

My brother and I watched a video compilation of vids from 1987 to 1990 and I was amazed how many videos Louie was in. I wonder where he is today?


A photo from a 2004 Soul Train Dancers reunion...



...and yes, he still pointing. disbelief


I always got the impression he was attempting to channel MJ for some reason. confuse


Thanks for posting that pic.I always wondered whatever happened to Louie.You are correct,he was always dancing/posing like Michael Jackson lol All he needed was the white glove,lol.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 03/12/07 1:48am

Christopher

avatar

so is erm that vanity 6 performance on the tube thats you yet? lurking
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 03/12/07 1:51am

SoulAlive

btw,this was one of the BEST episodes I have seen! I went nuts when they showed the 1978 flashback of Frankie Valli singing "Grease" lol The summer of 1978 is special to me.I remember being caught up in disco and "Grease" (the movie and soundtrack).That was such an exciting time!

It was also great to hear Bobby Nunn's "She's Just A Groupie".Vainandy will disagree with me,but I think it was cool when they slowed things down a bit and played Diana Ross' sultry,sexy "Muscles".Man,that is such a hot track!! That song (and this episode) took me right back to the fall of '82,when nearly every R&B artist and band had a kickass single on the radio.

Of course,Vanity 6 was a treat love so sexy and charming,they were.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 03/12/07 1:53am

SoulAlive

Christopher said:

so is erm that vanity 6 performance on the tube thats you yet? lurking


It sure is: http://www.youtube.com/wa...9d9yuM69dQ

lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 03/12/07 1:58am

SoulAlive

SPYZFAN1 said:

The Carl Carlton interview was funny..my man had sweat and S-Curl juice running all down his face during the interview.


lol His performance was disappointing too.A weak Motown remake ("Baby,I Need Your Lovin").He needed a stronger follow-up to "She's A Bad Mama Jama".
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 03/12/07 2:26am

Christopher

avatar

SoulAlive said:

Christopher said:

so is erm that vanity 6 performance on the tube thats you yet? lurking


It sure is: http://www.youtube.com/wa...9d9yuM69dQ

lol

i love how they all go crazy in the front. lol

okay now we need someone to post the version that aired this weekend lurking
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 03/12/07 2:34am

SoulAlive

Christopher said:

SoulAlive said:


i love how they all go crazy in the front. lol

okay now we need someone to post the version that aired this weekend lurking



along with the second song "He's So Dull" wink
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 03/12/07 6:49am

SoulAlive

SPYZFAN1 said:

I hope they play the episode when Vanity
peformed solo (I think it was during the "Wild Animal" era)..dudes in the crowd were going ballistic..holding up dollar bills.


I remember that episode! It was in the fall of '84.Vanity performed "Pretty Mess" and then came back and did "Wild Animal".During the interview,Don asked if her she had ever done movies.Smiling,she said "Yes,Don,I have done it many times" lol She also mentioned that she was now on Motown and that Rick James had been helping her out,giving her advice.I wonder if she was trying to make Prince jealous? lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 03/12/07 6:59am

SoulAlive

theAudience said:

ThreadCula said:


That dancer with the really long hair,wonder what she's doing today

Cheryl Song (far right)...



...from a 2004 STD (that doesn't look right - Soul Train Dancer) reunion.

Damita Jo Freeman (another dancer) is to her left.



Wow,it's interesting to see these people now! I wish they would make some kind of documentary on the Soul Train Dancers.I'd love to hear their stories and get a little insight on what it was like to be a ST dancer.

Don...are you listening?? wink
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 03/12/07 2:45pm

SPYZFAN1

Yeah Soul do you remember that? (lol)...that was a great peformance. Maybe ol' Rick was trying to get P a litle jealous.

Cheryl looks different but she still looks good. She's probably a mom with grown kids and grandkids (lol). DaMita Jo Freeman did OK for herself. I know she was in the movie and TV series "Private Benjamin". She also danced on American Bandstand.

They should do a docu on the dancers. Just to see how Soul Train affected their lives. The one guy who used to get on my nerves was the Micheal Jackson/Narada Micheal Walden lookalike with the jheri curl. Arsenio blasted Don on his show and said "you gave him more camera time than me..he was to busy 'drippin' all over the place"...Don just fell out laughing.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 03/12/07 2:57pm

dancerella

SPYZFAN1 said:

My brother and I watched a video compilation of vids from 1987 to 1990 and I was amazed how many videos Louie was in. I wonder where he is today?

The Carl Carlton interview was funny..my man had sweat and S-Curl juice running all down his face during the interview. I hope they play the episode when Vanity
peformed solo (I think it was during the "Wild Animal" era)..dudes in the crowd were going ballistic..holding up dollar bills.

Still waiting on the Bootsy show.



that shit was mad funny seeing his curl juice running down his face. my husband was like i hope no one lights a match near him! biggrin he seemed sweet though. what a show! this was probably my favorite episode so far. i love me some classic soul train. does anyone know what Don Cornelius is up to these days?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 03/12/07 10:46pm

Abdul

Louie always makes me LMAO when I watch these classic Soul Train's, he was doing his MJ impression for sure. The funniest was on the Evelyn King/Flash & Furious Five epi few weeks back when MJ's "PYT" was the Soul Train Line song and Louie pulled out some of MJ's moves when it was his turn.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 03/12/07 10:48pm

Abdul

SPYZFAN1 said:

Yeah Soul do you remember that? (lol)...that was a great peformance. Maybe ol' Rick was trying to get P a litle jealous.

Cheryl looks different but she still looks good. She's probably a mom with grown kids and grandkids (lol). DaMita Jo Freeman did OK for herself. I know she was in the movie and TV series "Private Benjamin". She also danced on American Bandstand.

They should do a docu on the dancers. Just to see how Soul Train affected their lives. The one guy who used to get on my nerves was the Micheal Jackson/Narada Micheal Walden lookalike with the jheri curl. Arsenio blasted Don on his show and said "you gave him more camera time than me..he was to busy 'drippin' all over the place"...Don just fell out laughing.



That Narada looking cat does that same shimmy shimmy move like he's a fish outta water, I guess that was his signature step. He could easily pass for Narada brother
[Edited 3/12/07 22:49pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 03/13/07 12:23am

SoulAlive

Abdul said:

Louie always makes me LMAO when I watch these classic Soul Train's, he was doing his MJ impression for sure. The funniest was on the Evelyn King/Flash & Furious Five epi few weeks back when MJ's "PYT" was the Soul Train Line song and Louie pulled out some of MJ's moves when it was his turn.


Yeah,he always look like he is auditioning to be in a Michael Jackson video,lol.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 03/13/07 12:33am

theAudience

avatar

SPYZFAN1 said:

The one guy who used to get on my nerves was the Micheal Jackson/Narada Micheal Walden lookalike with the jheri curl. Arsenio blasted Don on his show and said "you gave him more camera time than me..he was to busy 'drippin' all over the place"...Don just fell out laughing.

I think his name is Myron...



...2nd dude from the right.


More Louie...



...still posin' & pointin' at something.


More Cheryl...



...She looks like she's been bodybuilding or something.


tA

peace Tribal Disorder

http://www.soundclick.com...dID=182431
"Ya see, we're not interested in what you know...but what you are willing to learn. C'mon y'all."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 03/13/07 6:21am

vainandy

avatar

Great show from beginning to end.
Andy is a four letter word.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 03/13/07 6:28am

SoulAlive

vainandy said:

Great show from beginning to end.



even the "slow" song? lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 03/13/07 8:08am

vainandy

avatar

SoulAlive said:

vainandy said:

Great show from beginning to end.



even the "slow" song? lol


Actually, I like the song "Muscles", even though I would never have played a song that slow on a dance show. However, they made up for it when the lady opened the guy's shirt and rubbed that hairy chest. After I recorded the show on DVD, that's the first place I went back to and hit the "zoom" button. lol
Andy is a four letter word.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > The Best of Soul Train 3-10-07