independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Welcome 2 America - The lead single
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 04/08/21 9:04am

Krid

Welcome 2 America - The lead single

Hi there,

I'd like to discuss the single (now streaming on all digital platforms), not the whole album...

IMHO, this is not really an exciting track. Doubt this will raise any interest outside the die-hard fans.

For me, the intro is great - I expected something to happen, a beat to set in, something - but then it is basically just Prince rambling on, some singing, a bit of improvising musically. A bit up and down, as in many P-funk songs, but not as funky.

For me, musically a bit too bland. Does not grab me. I understand why he never released this back in the day...

Well, to each his own, but not really my cup of tea.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 04/08/21 9:16am

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

The lead single from WELCOME 2 AMERICA of the same name is now streaming everywhere. Here it is on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/w...JtxSdTL488



maxresdefault.jpg


Edmonton, AB - canada
Mod Goddess of the SNIP & BAN Making Moves - OF4S
Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 04/08/21 9:16am

LoveGalore

I'm not that enthused about the song itself. Likely won't grow on me. Looking forward to the rest though...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 04/08/21 9:40am

antonb

I must be too much of a fan, just hearing his voice on a song I haven’t heard makes me happy! I like it. I’m not expecting another Sign of the Times though. My expectations are not overly high!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 04/08/21 9:42am

SantanaMaitrey
a

I think we should see this as an introduction and that's why it's called Welcome... Not much of a song, but the chorus is good. Maybe it will work better within the context of the album; a bit like Art Official Cage, which also isn't the best song he ever wrote, but works as an introduction to the album.
O tempora! O mores!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 04/08/21 9:48am

funkbabyandthe
babysitters

like someone else said, it sounds like an intro, not a proper song.

so its strange that its getting a proper single release, gold vinyl even!

its cool, one of prince's talkathon songs, like the war, prince in preachy mode.

not my favourite style of his, hes not gil scott heron or george clinton to sustain that kind of thing.

but hey ho, it is what it is.

def cant imagine hearing this and thinking 'wow, prince was still doing great stuff in the 2010s!' though.

its more for completists.

[Edited 4/8/21 9:50am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 04/08/21 9:55am

PurpleYoda3121

Definitely not a radio "hit", but I love the song and love the lyrics. Super excited for the album!!! biggrin

U fall in love 2 fast and hate 2 soon
And take 4 granted the feeling’s mutual
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 04/08/21 9:57am

Number23

It's less a single, more an intro - but I get why they've put it out first. Fits the strategy of framing W2A as a 'political' album, which indeed it may be - for Prince - but such a warning flare sends a forboding signal to those of sound mind that they risk their testicles retracting into their belly in all out cringe at anti-evolution/anti-democracy/anti-choice/pro-God-will-sort-it-all-out-u-hellbound-sinner-MFs fully-certified insanity in the lyrics. But I guess - to my perception of reality - this one doesn't embarass itself in terms of its manifesto. Less a song more of a bassline cuing vocal riffs and runs. Nice mellow electrofunk vibe sweetened by the three part harmony choral line - but I'd prefer it being a bit more claustrophobic - meaning, Prince doing all those parts himself. The words he gives others often sound clunky as all fuck, only he can pull them off. The fact 'God is coming like a dog in heat' ever eminated from Mavis Staples' mouth should shame us all as a species. However, the wee Shelby scat bit can stay, that's seriously cool and quirky, but let's hear the original track before these overdubs which no doubt was far superior and edgier sonically. Fuck the Sly vibe, I'm here for Prince. And the 'no arguing with the book' bit does my head in, he can shove that book up his arse until it papercuts his tonsils, no-one sane goes to Prince for revelatory analysis of theology and the enduring mystery of homosapians' elevated conciousness. I go to him for unsettling oddness, idiosyncratic sonic anomolies and his humourous vibe of wry awe at his own freakish musical proficency - pimping himself out, essentially. And there's a wee bit of that here. So, bring it on, I'm ready. 1000 Light Years From Home and When She Comes are worth the trip alone. Hot Summer is an atrocity that should have seen him in the The Hague, however.

[Edited 4/8/21 10:23am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 04/08/21 10:23am

sulls

avatar

FONKY. cool
"I like to watch."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 04/08/21 10:26am

funkbabyandthe
babysitters

ive no idea what the message is meant to be in this song.

sounds like a random list of different issues but in princes typically cryptic, not really making it clear, might be saying something, might not, way of approaching these subjects.

but then im not really a fan of political prince post-1991 or so.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 04/08/21 10:39am

PURPLEIZED3121

SOTT for NOW...

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 04/08/21 10:47am

SantanaMaitrey
a

funkbabyandthebabysitters said:

ive no idea what the message is meant to be in this song.


sounds like a random list of different issues but in princes typically cryptic, not really making it clear, might be saying something, might not, way of approaching these subjects.


but then im not really a fan of political prince post-1991 or so.


I had the same thought about songs like Rich Friends or Same Page, Different Book: what the hell is het trying to say?
O tempora! O mores!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 04/08/21 10:51am

bashraka

Number23 said:

It's less a single, more an intro - but I get why they've put it out first. Fits the strategy of framing W2A as a 'political' album, which indeed it may be - for Prince - but such a warning flare sends a forboding signal to those of sound mind that they risk their testicles retracting into their belly in all out cringe at anti-evolution/anti-democracy/anti-choice/pro-God-will-sort-it-all-out-u-hellbound-sinner-MFs fully-certified insanity in the lyrics. But I guess - to my perception of reality - this one doesn't embarass itself in terms of its manifesto. Less a song more of a bassline cuing vocal riffs and runs. Nice mellow electrofunk vibe sweetened by the three part harmony choral line - but I'd prefer it being a bit more claustrophobic - meaning, Prince doing all those parts himself. The words he gives others often sound clunky as all fuck, only he can pull them off. The fact 'God is coming like a dog in heat' ever eminated from Mavis Staples' mouth should shame us all as a species. However, the wee Shelby scat bit can stay, that's seriously cool and quirky, but let's hear the original track before these overdubs which no doubt was far superior and edgier sonically. Fuck the Sly vibe, I'm here for Prince. And the 'no arguing with the book' bit does my head in, he can shove that book up his arse until it papercuts his tonsils, no-one sane goes to Prince for revelatory analysis of theology and the enduring mystery of homosapians' elevated conciousness. I go to him for unsettling oddness, idiosyncratic sonic anomolies and his humourous vibe of wry awe at his own freakish musical proficency - pimping himself out, essentially. And there's a wee bit of that here. So, bring it on, I'm ready. 1000 Light Years From Home and When She Comes are worth the trip alone. Hot Summer is an atrocity that should have seen him in the The Hague, however.

[Edited 4/8/21 10:23am]

"And the 'no arguing with the book' bit does my head in, he can shove that book up his arse until it papercuts his tonsils, no-one sane goes to Prince for revelatory analysis of theology and the enduring mystery of homosapians' elevated conciousness." WTF is wrong with you?! You do know the year is 2021, Joe Biden is President Of The United States and Prince has been dead for 5 years. Why are you damn worked up over Prince's lyrics? Prince in the afterlife has more common sense than people alive with working brain cells or at least some brain cells.

3121 #1 THIS YEAR
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 04/08/21 10:56am

Giovanni777

avatar

The title track, "Welcome 2 America", is completely forgettable (to me, at least), but this album is what I wanted, and I 'm sure the rest of it will be far better.

"He's a musician's musician..."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 04/08/21 11:11am

LoveGalore

SantanaMaitreya said:

funkbabyandthebabysitters said:

ive no idea what the message is meant to be in this song.


sounds like a random list of different issues but in princes typically cryptic, not really making it clear, might be saying something, might not, way of approaching these subjects.


but then im not really a fan of political prince post-1991 or so.


I had the same thought about songs like Rich Friends or Same Page, Different Book: what the hell is het trying to say?


Literally he's doing the same exact thing he did in SOTT - "here's some things I think are messed up." Except now he follows it up with "don't argue with the bible." All well and good but the bible has some things that, taken literally, simply aren't applicable to modern life.

The song is weak and I think Prince must have known that because he didn't bother releasing it. The press release says for mysterious reasons but I disagree - he was still one of the best editors out there and shelving this song was an example of that talent still being intact.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 04/08/21 11:14am

dodger

Loving it, even if it is more of an intro than a song. Good to have the buzz of hearing a 'new' Prince track.
.
Getting a Goldnigga / TRC vibe with the live production sound. His vocals and lyrics are even like an extension of his rap/spoken part in Muse 2 The Pharoah
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 04/08/21 11:17am

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

Loving it music cool

Edmonton, AB - canada
Mod Goddess of the SNIP & BAN Making Moves - OF4S
Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 04/08/21 11:18am

AvocadosMax

SantanaMaitreya said:

I think we should see this as an introduction and that's why it's called Welcome... Not much of a song, but the chorus is good. Maybe it will work better within the context of the album; a bit like Art Official Cage, which also isn't the best song he ever wrote, but works as an introduction to the album.

Its a groove/introduction thing
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 04/08/21 11:27am

rebelenterpris
e

I love that "everybody & their mama got a sex tape" line. Isn't that even more true now in this WAP generation we're surrounded by now? I ain't complaining about it tho...Haha. If you got it, flaunt it.
Back on the track, I dig it. If it was just another Pop/Funk track or a regular R&B ballad, people would complain about it too. It's got some edge and unpredictability to it. And it's Funky. He's saying things that are still relevant with what's going on now.
[Edited 4/8/21 11:42am]
Exiles of the Nation
"The Dark Soul of Funk/Rock", the NEW 17th LP. Available everywhere now.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 04/08/21 11:35am

BanishedBrian

Yawner, musically.

The lyrics are lazy, chemtrails-style Prince, which is basically Prince at his worst.

No Candy 4 Me
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 04/08/21 11:38am

Blondies1973

I love it. Slick and funky. No nonsense. Reminds me of Childish Gambino (This is America) but this was of course recorded much earlier.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 04/08/21 11:38am

dualboot

avatar

The ladies actually do more airtime when counting....

At one point I was humming:


Make my funk the P-Funk
I want my funk uncut (make mine the P)
Make my funk the P-Funk
I wants to get funked up. (wants to get funked up)
I want the bomb,
I want the P-Funk (yeah)
I want my funk uncut. (make mine the P)
Make my funk the P-Funk
I wants to get funked up.

----- lol

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 04/08/21 11:49am

SimonCharles

avatar

Makes me think of United States of Division. Feels like the same vibe.

*

Enjoyable intro to a period of his work, I'm sad to say, I know little/can remember little about.

Words are like shoes...
Try my shoes on...
https://simoncwilliamsblo...press.com/
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 04/08/21 12:13pm

Phase3

Just listened to the song.His words hold very true and that was 11 years ago.
Got to love the Kim Kardashian "sex tape" reference.Reminds me of when he kicked her off stage from that same tour.
Back to the track,"welcome 2 america" is a very smooth song,I dig it,and it makes me think this album will be a concept album like the rainbow children.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 04/08/21 12:18pm

MIRvmn

avatar

I like it. It reminds me of TRC a bit smile
We are living in Orwell's 1984
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 04/08/21 12:23pm

steakfinger

Sounds like it's going to be more of his Alex Jones-inspired nonsense like some of the stuff on 20TEN. Sounds like the Rainbow Children except instead of muddles half-remembered ideas about religion it's muddled half-baked ideas about politics and finance. With Tal Wilkenfeld it's gonna be awesome musically, so there's that.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 04/08/21 12:27pm

rnb

I love the song and I am definitely looking forward to the complete album and concert video! My only gripe with the song is that it appears they edit out certain parts/verses - it is not the same lyrics that have been on sites nor was it how he performed it live in concert. Other than that, I think the song is still fantastic!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 04/08/21 12:33pm

TrevorAyer

Sounds like props n pounds with the family stone
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 04/08/21 12:36pm

andykeen

avatar

Who’s got lyrics?

Keenmeister
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 04/08/21 12:39pm

andykeen

avatar

Welcome to America
Where you can fail at your job, get fired, rehired
And get a seven hundred billion dollar tip
Come on in, sit right down
And fill up your pockets, yeah
Mass media, information overload
Welcome to America
(The following message is brought to you by Viacom)
Distracted by the features of the iPhone
(Got an application for each of situation)
In other words, taken by a pretty face
Somebody's watching you (I see you, I see you)
Welcome to America
Hook up later [?] iPad
And we can meet at my place (welcome to America)

Welcome (welcome to America)
Welcome to America

Where everything and nothing that Google says is hip
(The sales tax for the following items will be raised immediately... cigarettes...)
We will not raise your taxes
Read our lips

Welcome to America (America)
Welcome to the big show (to America)
Everybody's looking for something
When there ain't no place to go (welcome to America)
Except inside America (America)
That's the only place I know (to America)
Transformation happens deep within: yes or no?
Yes

Welcome to America
One of our greatest exports was a thing called jazz
You think today's music will last?
(Dismantle all monopolies
Dismantle all monopolies)
Welcome to America

Welcome
Hope and change, everything takes forever
And truth is a new minority (truth)
Oh, welcome to America
Welcome to America

Today we'd like to discuss America's plan to fix the educational system
The pledge of allegiance will now read as follows:
I pledge allegiance to the earth of the United States of the Universe
Welcome to America

There is no arguing with the book (when am I gonna learn something new?)
There is no arguing with the book (who's gonna teach it to me, you?)
There is no arguing with the book (what's that [?])
There is no (could it be?) arguing (our free will?)

You say yes, I say no, yet love flows

America can provide many opportunities for the young female who wishes to work (for the state)
For her own advancement up from the underclass to become one

Welcome to America
Go to school to become a celebrity
(F.A.M.O.U.S.) but don't be late
And everybody and they mama got a sex tape

Welcome to America
We snatch bass players, not purses
Keep playing, it gets worse

Land of the free, home of the brave
Oops, I mean
Land of the free, home of the slave
Get down on your knees

Welcome to America
Welcome to the big show
Everybody's looking for something
When there ain't no place to go
Except inside America
That's the only place I know
Transformation happens deep within: yes or no?

Keenmeister
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Welcome 2 America - The lead single