independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 6th Dec 2019 7:15am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > The Future of Prince's Distribution With Major Labels
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 9 of 14 « First<5678910111213>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #240 posted 01/13/16 6:45pm

feeluupp

avatar

luvsexy4all said:

NO ONE is smart enough to realize ANYONE who distributes this will rake it in?????? all thats needed is a stipend that he has to do TV shows to promote it

exactly... hence y it still hasn't been distributed yet... lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #241 posted 01/13/16 6:47pm

luvsexy4all

feeluupp said:

luvsexy4all said:

NO ONE is smart enough to realize ANYONE who distributes this will rake it in?????? all thats needed is a stipend that he has to do TV shows to promote it

exactly... hence y it still hasn't been distributed yet... lol

maybe prince is still worried about getting what he's worth....and it'll cost him eventually

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #242 posted 01/13/16 6:58pm

feeluupp

avatar

luvsexy4all said:

feeluupp said:

exactly... hence y it still hasn't been distributed yet... lol

maybe prince is still worried about getting what he's worth....and it'll cost him eventually

it looks like that. his tweets about distribution for phase 2 hinted that they didn't want 2 pay up due to numbers... that's all i will say. don't want to get in an arguement again with a member here that misinterpreted what i wrote and took a "sarcastic" tweet from prince literal... lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #243 posted 01/13/16 11:11pm

Scarfo

So this is what "The Dawn" end up looking like? Sad. Prince is finished as far as releasing music unless he releases it himself....something he don't seem willing to do because he feels he shouldn't have to pay for it. The sales plummeted when the quality of his music plummeted. Not to mention this generation of music buyers don't know who Prince is since Prince has banned all his music from the internet for decades. Not to mention Prince has angered and alienated his long suffering fanbase. I find no joy in saying these things, but it's so obvious what's happening. The moral of this story is you can be the most talented musician on the planet, but if you continue to burn bridges in your profession...it will end up biting you in your ass. On the bright side, Prince can always perform live. That will be his source of income. The days of his throwaway music is over. Prince has no one to blame but himself.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #244 posted 01/13/16 11:58pm

Rebeljuice

Sometimes I think Prince likes to break everything down so that he can build it all up again. Its as if he gets bored with being successful and more enjoys the climb than being at the summit. Well, he is definately back at base camp now. The problem is, in the past when he has had to climb back up he has always had people/companies prepared to fund the exbedition. With a fanbase so small that it cannot guarantee the minimum amount of sales for a million dollar up-front fee, Im not sure he can get the backers anymore.

he may well have to settle for digital sales in the low thousands for his albums, some pocket money from streaming, and a live show stacked with songs from a bygone era in order to fill the seats with middled aged folk looking for a nostalgia trip. Unless he is prepared to fund himself and do the neccessary promotion on his own, he isnt going to be reaching the top of a small hill, let along the summit of a mountain ever again.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #245 posted 01/14/16 6:37am

IstenSzek

avatar

feeluupp said:

luvsexy4all said:

NO ONE is smart enough to realize ANYONE who distributes this will rake it in?????? all thats needed is a stipend that he has to do TV shows to promote it

exactly... hence y it still hasn't been distributed yet... lol

plus, doesn't he ask the tv shows for a big bag of $ these days, just to go on and promote his stuff?

lol

and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #246 posted 01/14/16 6:59am

RosesRred

avatar

Rebeljuice said:

Sometimes I think Prince likes to break everything down so that he can build it all up again. Its as if he gets bored with being successful and more enjoys the climb than being at the summit. Well, he is definately back at base camp now. The problem is, in the past when he has had to climb back up he has always had people/companies prepared to fund the exbedition. With a fanbase so small that it cannot guarantee the minimum amount of sales for a million dollar up-front fee, Im not sure he can get the backers anymore.

he may well have to settle for digital sales in the low thousands for his albums, some pocket money from streaming, and a live show stacked with songs from a bygone era in order to fill the seats with middled aged folk looking for a nostalgia trip. Unless he is prepared to fund himself and do the neccessary promotion on his own, he isnt going to be reaching the top of a small hill, let along the summit of a mountain ever again.

so observant indeed.. reading thumbs up!

Desiigner "Panda" LES TWINS x YAK FILMS | Laurent ft Skitzo & Boom Squad Inglewood heart (part 1)
https://www.youtube.com/w...vQFqB-mAWI new
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #247 posted 01/14/16 11:53am

warning2all

Scarfo said:

So this is what "The Dawn" end up looking like? Sad. Prince is finished as far as releasing music unless he releases it himself....something he don't seem willing to do because he feels he shouldn't have to pay for it. The sales plummeted when the quality of his music plummeted. Not to mention this generation of music buyers don't know who Prince is since Prince has banned all his music from the internet for decades. Not to mention Prince has angered and alienated his long suffering fanbase. I find no joy in saying these things, but it's so obvious what's happening. The moral of this story is you can be the most talented musician on the planet, but if you continue to burn bridges in your profession...it will end up biting you in your ass. On the bright side, Prince can always perform live. That will be his source of income. The days of his throwaway music is over. Prince has no one to blame but himself.




Exactly!


Prince owed it to himself/his legacy/Record Companies/The Fans...to deliver the best quality Albums EACH AND EVERY TIME.

Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, The Stones don't sell albums like they used to but will never have a problem getting albums released. They didn't make a career of going to war with their fans and the record industry.

It's one thing to be a jerk offering up "Dream Factory"; quite another to be a jerk offering up "HITNRUN Phase 2".
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #248 posted 01/14/16 12:57pm

funksterr

I think most fans are content to receive Prince's new output as a digitial album, with a higher price tag option for a cd. I'd be content if he just released them straight to vinyl as well. We aren't the problem. The problem, I imagine, is that Priince pretty much lives off the advances for these things and whatever he gets for one off shows. I think the tour offers are lower than what he is accustomed to. Probably why he suddenly wants to tour with a sampler.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #249 posted 01/14/16 12:59pm

feeluupp

avatar

Scarfo said:

So this is what "The Dawn" end up looking like? Sad. Prince is finished as far as releasing music unless he releases it himself....something he don't seem willing to do because he feels he shouldn't have to pay for it. The sales plummeted when the quality of his music plummeted. Not to mention this generation of music buyers don't know who Prince is since Prince has banned all his music from the internet for decades. Not to mention Prince has angered and alienated his long suffering fanbase. I find no joy in saying these things, but it's so obvious what's happening. The moral of this story is you can be the most talented musician on the planet, but if you continue to burn bridges in your profession...it will end up biting you in your ass. On the bright side, Prince can always perform live. That will be his source of income. The days of his throwaway music is over. Prince has no one to blame but himself.

You are correct! Sadly... This is all so true.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #250 posted 01/14/16 1:15pm

TwiliteKid

avatar

Here's the thing about this entire discussion: We don't actually know what's going on. Yes, Prince has been asking for distribution ideas for Phase 2, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have other offers.

I suspect what's actually happening here is that he wants to put it out RIGHT NOW, mere months after Phase 1 flopped. Universal (or Warner, for that matter) might be perfectly willing to release the album, just not right this second.

[Edited 1/14/16 23:30pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #251 posted 01/14/16 1:16pm

TwiliteKid

avatar

Noodled24 said:

redflag said:

How do you know how long the exclusivity window was? There was only a month between the album announcement and the release, it takes time for CDs to be manufactured, etc. The release date actually came fairly quickly given how fast this project was rolled out. It normally takes months for a major to roll out a physical release.

[Edited 1/11/16 20:59pm]

Look through the album announcement thread. The album was announced. No date was given for a CD release. http://prince.org/msg/7/4...e-Sept-7th The focus is all about Tidal.

CD's take time to be manufactured and distributed. If the CD was planned right from the get go then they'd have had the date for the CD this is called "logistics". They didn't, this came later - after fans took to twitter to bitch about a CD version.

The CD was planned from the get-go: I have contacts at Universal Canada who confirm that it was orignally intended to be a surprise release.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #252 posted 01/14/16 5:00pm

feeluupp

avatar

Well looks like PHASE 2 cd has been pressed as Prince just posted on his twitter... Now we need to see when and who will distribute it... lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #253 posted 01/14/16 5:20pm

luvsexy4all

feeluupp said:

Well looks like PHASE 2 cd has been pressed as Prince just posted on his twitter... Now we need to see when and who will distribute it... lol

thank u Prince & God

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #254 posted 01/14/16 5:31pm

IstenSzek

avatar

luvsexy4all said:

feeluupp said:

Well looks like PHASE 2 cd has been pressed as Prince just posted on his twitter... Now we need to see when and who will distribute it... lol

thank u Prince & God



Let us praise God with the fruit of the vine (E)

My name's Andre Crabtree III (Ooh-wee! Did U see that?)

Our innocent symbol of glory

I've got more holes than a golf course (That don't mean shit) (Taxi)

And thank Him 4 your blessings of the past week
(I got a white / blue car and…)
(Where's the car, dude?) (And a red)
(I said who parked the car?) (No!)
4 life and 4 Prince... (Funk it!)


smile

and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #255 posted 01/14/16 6:05pm

feeluupp

avatar

luvsexy4all said:

feeluupp said:

Well looks like PHASE 2 cd has been pressed as Prince just posted on his twitter... Now we need to see when and who will distribute it... lol

thank u Prince & God

Now the next question is...

Will he even care at all to promote it... Or will it fall off the charts faster than PHASE 1 not even breaking 10,000 copies in the U.S.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #256 posted 01/15/16 12:28pm

Guitarhero

feeluupp said:

luvsexy4all said:

thank u Prince & God

Now the next question is...

Will he even care at all to promote it... Or will it fall off the charts faster than PHASE 1 not even breaking 10,000 copies in the U.S.

There is a world of different charts in other countries you know. Not just the US, open your mind. razz

[Edited 1/15/16 12:29pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #257 posted 01/15/16 12:31pm

feeluupp

avatar

Guitarhero said:

feeluupp said:

Now the next question is...

Will he even care at all to promote it... Or will it fall off the charts faster than PHASE 1 not even breaking 10,000 copies in the U.S.

There is a world of different charts in other countries you know. Not just the US, open your mind. razz

[Edited 1/15/16 12:29pm]

yes i know... but it all ended with the same result... phase 1 was a commercial flop. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #258 posted 01/15/16 2:56pm

thedoorkeeper

feeluupp said:



Guitarhero said:




feeluupp said:




Now the next question is...




Will he even care at all to promote it... Or will it fall off the charts faster than PHASE 1 not even breaking 10,000 copies in the U.S.



There is a world of different charts in other countries you know. Not just the US, open your mind. razz


[Edited 1/15/16 12:29pm]




yes i know... but it all ended with the same result... phase 1 was a commercial flop. lol


I'm sure Phase 1 was #1 in England.
The Brits are his most loyal & devoted fans.
At least that's what they say. lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #259 posted 01/15/16 3:10pm

Guitarhero

thedoorkeeper said:

feeluupp said:

yes i know... but it all ended with the same result... phase 1 was a commercial flop. lol

I'm sure Phase 1 was #1 in England. The Brits are his most loyal & devoted fans. At least that's what they say. lol

LOL am a loyal British fan , but i don't think it was number 1 here. Probably J bieber or no(one) direction. lol


[Edited 1/15/16 15:21pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #260 posted 01/15/16 4:18pm

feeluupp

avatar

thedoorkeeper said:

feeluupp said:

yes i know... but it all ended with the same result... phase 1 was a commercial flop. lol

I'm sure Phase 1 was #1 in England. The Brits are his most loyal & devoted fans. At least that's what they say. lol

First week chart numbers:

Australian Albums (ARIA)[18] 50
Austrian Albums (Ö3 Austria)[19] 73
Belgian Albums (Ultratop Flanders)[20] 27
Belgian Albums (Ultratop Wallonia)[21] 34
Dutch Albums (MegaCharts)[22] 11
French Albums (SNEP)[23] 38
German Albums (Offizielle Top 100)[24] 95
Irish Albums (IRMA)[25] 52
Italian Albums (FIMI)[26] 39
Swiss Albums (Schweizer Hitparade)[27] 31
UK Albums (OCC)[28] 50
US Billboard 200[29] 70
US Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums (Billboard)[30] 7

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #261 posted 01/15/16 6:11pm

feeluupp

avatar

Prince's tweet just said:

AS 4 HITNRUN PHASE 2 CD: 1ST BATCH WILL B AVAILABLE 4 PURCHASE AT PAISLEY PARK ON THE NIGHT OF THE EVENT: JANUARY 21 2016

... is this an indication that he really is indeed having trouble find a major label to distribute this release to the general public?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #262 posted 01/15/16 6:31pm

Scarfo

feeluupp said:

Prince's tweet just said:

AS 4 HITNRUN PHASE 2 CD: 1ST BATCH WILL B AVAILABLE 4 PURCHASE AT PAISLEY PARK ON THE NIGHT OF THE EVENT: JANUARY 21 2016

... is this an indication that he really is indeed having trouble find a major label to distribute this release to the general public?

lol, ya think? Prince will only be able to sell this cd either at his shows or have his body guards sell it from the trunks of their cars. lol biggrin

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #263 posted 01/15/16 6:48pm

feeluupp

avatar

Scarfo said:

feeluupp said:

Prince's tweet just said:

AS 4 HITNRUN PHASE 2 CD: 1ST BATCH WILL B AVAILABLE 4 PURCHASE AT PAISLEY PARK ON THE NIGHT OF THE EVENT: JANUARY 21 2016

... is this an indication that he really is indeed having trouble find a major label to distribute this release to the general public?

lol, ya think? Prince will only be able to sell this cd either at his shows or have his body guards sell it from the trunks of their cars. lol biggrin

... and people were beating me up for making such statements after the shocking low sales of PHASE 1... now look what's going on, he can't even get a proper distribution anymore.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #264 posted 01/15/16 7:09pm

tatocorcu

It's really sad to be in this situation. The worst thing is that Phase 2 is both good and reasonably commercial.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #265 posted 01/15/16 8:50pm

udo

avatar

feeluupp said:

Prince's tweet just said:

AS 4 HITNRUN PHASE 2 CD: 1ST BATCH WILL B AVAILABLE 4 PURCHASE AT PAISLEY PARK ON THE NIGHT OF THE EVENT: JANUARY 21 2016

... is this an indication that he really is indeed having trouble find a major label to distribute this release to the general public?

.

Please contact me to trade a phase 2 CD. (I need one, you can provide one)

Pills and thrills and daffodils will kill... If you don't believe me or don't get it, I don't have time to try to convince you, sorry.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #266 posted 01/15/16 9:10pm

djThunderfunk

avatar

Yeah, I need one of these but I won't be travelling to MN to get it.

REEFER MADNESS!
Joe Biden still thinks marijuana is a gateway drug:
https://www.businessinsid...t-2019-11/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #267 posted 01/15/16 9:17pm

TwiliteKid

avatar

feeluupp said:

Scarfo said:

lol, ya think? Prince will only be able to sell this cd either at his shows or have his body guards sell it from the trunks of their cars. lol biggrin

... and people were beating me up for making such statements after the shocking low sales of PHASE 1... now look what's going on, he can't even get a proper distribution anymore.

A) There's nothing shocking about the sales of Phase 1. Aside from the fact that sales in general continue to fall rapidly (unless your name is Adele), this was an album released with almost no promotion - and what little there was focussed on it being availalbe on Tidal alone. The public can't buy it if they don't know it exists.



B) We don't know that he can't get Phase 2 released. I think the more likely scenario is that any interested parties have said they would like to hold off for a few months - which is entirely reasonable, given that he's flooded the market with 3 albums over the last 18 months.



C) (And this point draws on my 10 years working the music industry). Prince is an icon. He has reached a point in his career where his new material matters to a relatively small number of people, but he's always going to be able to get it released. He may need to learn to compromise on timetables, his up-front fee and the base level of promotion in the future - but he will ALWAYS find a home. Here's a story for you: One of the artists I work with is an icon of equal, if not greater, stature than Prince and, like Prince, they haven't had a hit in years. This artist is releasing a new album soon, which more than one person at the label has indicated they do not like and have no faith in - but they are putting it out anyway. They aren't putting much effort behind it, mind you, but it's coming out. Such is the nature of the industry.

[Edited 1/15/16 21:26pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #268 posted 01/15/16 10:08pm

udo

avatar

TwiliteKid said:

C) (And this point draws on my 10 years working the music industry). Prince is an icon. He has reached a point in his career where his new material matters to a relatively small number of people, but he's always going to be able to get it released. He may need to learn to compromise on timetables,

.

Oh, he will have lost interest by then...

(you know the Prince man, don't you?)

Pills and thrills and daffodils will kill... If you don't believe me or don't get it, I don't have time to try to convince you, sorry.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #269 posted 01/16/16 7:33am

IstenSzek

avatar

Scarfo said:

feeluupp said:

Prince's tweet just said:

AS 4 HITNRUN PHASE 2 CD: 1ST BATCH WILL B AVAILABLE 4 PURCHASE AT PAISLEY PARK ON THE NIGHT OF THE EVENT: JANUARY 21 2016

... is this an indication that he really is indeed having trouble find a major label to distribute this release to the general public?

lol, ya think? Prince will only be able to sell this cd either at his shows or have his body guards sell it from the trunks of their cars. lol biggrin


we're back to the 1994 plan:

'sellin' the wax out the back of my subaru-u-u-u-uh-yeah
now we cut this funk with a group called Minneapolis
in this here group they know just what to do do do.......'

smile

and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 9 of 14 « First<5678910111213>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > The Future of Prince's Distribution With Major Labels