independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 9th Dec 2019 7:28pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > "Free Yourself" (single) now on TIDAL!
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 9 of 14 « First<5678910111213>Last »

This is a "featured" topic! — From here you can jump to the « previous or next » featured topic.

  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #240 posted 09/29/15 7:32am

KingSausage

avatar

steakfinger said:

Dis jam makin' my dick all hard and shit




~~Abraham Lincoln
"Drop that stereo before I blow your Goddamn nuts off, asshole!"
-Eugene Tackleberry
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #241 posted 09/29/15 7:33am

TheEnglishGent

avatar

KingSausage said:

thedance said:

on repeat here... sounds like a weak outtake, kind of boring actually..



neither fish nor flesh....

We got ourselves a hater, gentlemen. Get a rope! mad

Did somebody call for a gentlemen? Who needs stringin' up?

RIP sad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #242 posted 09/29/15 7:37am

Giovanni777

avatar

Okay, now I've listened to the entire song... about five times. Love it. Classic. Catchy.

"He's a musician's musician..."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #243 posted 09/29/15 7:39am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

Dunno what's funnier:

- mister "I-don't-live-in-the-past" desperately trying to imitate his 1980s sound,

- or all the fans who accuse me of wanting Prince to repeat his 1980s sound (which I don't) falling over themselves to praise this not particularly remarkable track.

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #244 posted 09/29/15 7:43am

prittypriss

Theeeeeeyyyyy're here and they forgot to take their positivity pill. But hey! We made it almost all the way through 8 pages of positivity! Has to be some kind of new org record or something.

[Edited 9/29/15 7:44am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #245 posted 09/29/15 7:59am

jillybean

avatar

KingSausage said:

steakfinger said:

Dis jam makin' my dick all hard and shit

~~Abraham Lincoln

lol lol lol lol

"She made me glad to be a man"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #246 posted 09/29/15 8:00am

SchlomoThaHomo

avatar

I think it might be wise to distance this song, and other more well-received songs from the HnR concept. If this song is on an album called HnR Phase 2, people may not even give it a chance.

http://www.metacritic.com...one/prince

"That's when stars collide. When there's space for what u want, and ur heart is open wide."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #247 posted 09/29/15 8:19am

Guitarhero

The haters seem to be finally here , the org is back to normal , bless. dead

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #248 posted 09/29/15 8:24am

djThunderfunk

avatar

As for Free Yourself: Don't love it, don't hate it. Wondering if all the praise is a reaction to HNR? I dunno.

I don't hear "80s", I do hear the R&RLA vibe, but, I don't have strong feelings about that one either, so...

The last minute is definitely the highlight, I could dig on that for sure, but alas, it fades too soon.

shrug


As for Tidal: No thanks. I did the trial thing for a few weeks but cancelled with over a week to go. I happily bought the new CD but will not pay a subscription to rent music.

My biggest complaint about the service is the inclusion of tracks from compilations replacing album tracks & ruining album flow. This is a major unforgivable fail to me.

Having an incomplete discography in very unappealing... (No Lovesexy or Gold Experience?!?)

Including B-Sides have excited a few, but they are obviously sourced from vinyl and not an improvement on my own vinyl sources or those that are circulating amongs fans already. So, not a plus for me.

The only high point for me is the NPGMC tracks in lossless, and they couldn't even get that right considering they have the wrong configuration of Chocolate Invasion.

I'm sure some will ignore most of my reasoning, focus on the fact that I'm happier buying the CD, and just claim I'm old and don't "get" streaming. It's whatever... I'll still be buying Phase Two if it's available in a format I can purchase, if it's streaming only I'm sure it will not be hard to "find". Just sayin'... wink

REEFER MADNESS!
Joe Biden still thinks marijuana is a gateway drug:
https://www.businessinsid...t-2019-11/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #249 posted 09/29/15 8:31am

feeluupp

avatar

BartVanHemelen said:

Dunno what's funnier:

- mister "I-don't-live-in-the-past" desperately trying to imitate his 1980s sound,

- or all the fans who accuse me of wanting Prince to repeat his 1980s sound (which I don't) falling over themselves to praise this not particularly remarkable track.

What's funniest is the person that always takes dumps on Prince and goes out of his away to post about it on the ORG, is the one that studies his musical legacy avidly and listens to the new songs, while still dumping on Prince everyday for 13 years.

Strange lonely lonely lonely man.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #250 posted 09/29/15 8:34am

purplethunder3
121

avatar

feeluupp said:

BartVanHemelen said:

Dunno what's funnier:

- mister "I-don't-live-in-the-past" desperately trying to imitate his 1980s sound,

- or all the fans who accuse me of wanting Prince to repeat his 1980s sound (which I don't) falling over themselves to praise this not particularly remarkable track.

What's funniest is the person that always takes dumps on Prince and goes out of his away to post about it on the ORG, is the one that studies his musical legacy avidly and listens to the new songs, while still dumping on Prince everyday for 13 years.

Strange lonely lonely lonely man.

This is actually one of his most positive posts! lol

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #251 posted 09/29/15 8:39am

KCOOLMUZIQ

This IS the MOST positive thread Eye've ever read here!!!!!

[img:$uid]http://i.imgur..../img:$uid]

eye will ALWAYS think of prince like a "ACT OF GOD"! N another realm. eye mean of all people who might of been aliens or angels.if found out that prince wasn't of this earth, eye would not have been that surprised. R.I.P. prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #252 posted 09/29/15 8:44am

SmiggyG

avatar

I totally dig this one. Not really hearing the 80's vibe everyone is saying it has. I just hear Prince being Prince again. woot!

.

Other than speculation is has there been anything saying this is going to be on Phase 2? Or is this a one off outtake?

.

I'm not complaining because I'm glad he released it. Just seems odd (typical) to release a new song weeks after a new album. Has the HNR ship sailed? Or is this just throwing us old timers a bone? Because as much as I like this over most everything on HNR and possibly AOA I can't see anyone other than Prince fans digging this to be honest.

[Edited 9/29/15 8:48am]

"Hey, I got the butta 4 ya muffin, honey.. I'm just 2 old 2 hold the knife!"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #253 posted 09/29/15 9:01am

RumAndRaisin

avatar

Pretty nice song. Bit throwaway. It goes some nice oohs and grunts alá the Controversy drum track

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #254 posted 09/29/15 9:04am

joyinrepetitio
n

avatar

Wow! If you can't hear the 80's vibe you're not listening. It has elements of Teacher, Teacher, Splash, Neon Telephone and the main instruments: drums, synths, and guitar are screaming 85/86 outtakes.

__________________________________________________
2 words falling between the drops and the moans of his condition
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #255 posted 09/29/15 9:05am

joyinrepetitio
n

avatar

BartVanHemelen said:

Dunno what's funnier:

- mister "I-don't-live-in-the-past" desperately trying to imitate his 1980s sound,

- or all the fans who accuse me of wanting Prince to repeat his 1980s sound (which I don't) falling over themselves to praise this not particularly remarkable track.

Hey Bart, What do you consider Prince's last masterpiece?

__________________________________________________
2 words falling between the drops and the moans of his condition
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #256 posted 09/29/15 9:09am

KCOOLMUZIQ

dodger said:

BobGeorge909 said:

KCOOLMUZIQ said: U know what kcool...imma let this one slide.... highfive [Edited 9/28/15 17:46pm]

biggrin

that brought a lump to the back of my shorts

Love 4 1 Another

Eye'm glad prince has finally found a place that paid him what he's worth! So he can now finally start releasing more of his THOUSANDS of MaStErPiEcEs @ his whim. It must feel really good 2 him now!

He has given Tidal EVERYTHING!!!

[img:$uid]http://i.imgur..../img:$uid]

[Edited 9/29/15 9:23am]

eye will ALWAYS think of prince like a "ACT OF GOD"! N another realm. eye mean of all people who might of been aliens or angels.if found out that prince wasn't of this earth, eye would not have been that surprised. R.I.P. prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #257 posted 09/29/15 9:11am

jaawwnn

avatar

joyinrepetition said:

Wow! If you can't hear the 80's vibe you're not listening. It has elements of Teacher, Teacher, Splash, Neon Telephone and the main instruments: drums, synths, and guitar are screaming 85/86 outtakes.

I hear that as well, although I think the song itself is more along the lines of RocknRoll Love Affair or The One U Wanna C. I'm not feeling it as much as everyone else in here but it's cool to see such a positive response smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #258 posted 09/29/15 9:14am

leadline

avatar

jaawwnn said:

joyinrepetition said:

Wow! If you can't hear the 80's vibe you're not listening. It has elements of Teacher, Teacher, Splash, Neon Telephone and the main instruments: drums, synths, and guitar are screaming 85/86 outtakes.

I hear that as well, although I think the song itself is more along the lines of RocknRoll Love Affair or The One U Wanna C. I'm not feeling it as much as everyone else in here but it's cool to see such a positive response smile

exacty, i mentioned that in an earlier post, that if Good Love and Rock and Roll Love Affair had a baby, Free Urself would be it!

"You always get the dream that you deserve, from what you value the most" -Prince 2013
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #259 posted 09/29/15 9:15am

jaawwnn

avatar

leadline said:

jaawwnn said:

I hear that as well, although I think the song itself is more along the lines of RocknRoll Love Affair or The One U Wanna C. I'm not feeling it as much as everyone else in here but it's cool to see such a positive response smile

exacty, i mentioned that in an earlier post, that if Good Love and Rock and Roll Love Affair had a baby, Free Urself would be it!

ah dude, I wish I loved this like I love Good Love!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #260 posted 09/29/15 9:15am

thedance

avatar

djThunderfunk said:

As for Free Yourself: Don't love it, don't hate it. Wondering if all the praise is a reaction to HNR? I dunno.

I don't hear "80s", I do hear the R&RLA vibe, but, I don't have strong feelings about that one either, so...

The last minute is definitely the highlight, I could dig on that for sure, but alas, it fades too soon.

shrug



I hear RNRLA in this songs as well, and I did not like that song at all either... actually you are so spot on... wink

I agree with you, true... don't love it and don't hate it... exactly. nod

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #261 posted 09/29/15 9:16am

MIRvmn

avatar

SmiggyG said:

I totally dig this one. Not really hearing the 80's vibe everyone is saying it has. I just hear Prince being Prince again. woot!


.


Other than speculation is has there been anything saying this is going to be on Phase 2? Or is this a one off outtake?


.


I'm not complaining because I'm glad he released it. Just seems odd (typical) to release a new song weeks after a new album. Has the HNR ship sailed? Or is this just throwing us old timers a bone? Because as much as I like this over most everything on HNR and possibly AOA I can't see anyone other than Prince fans digging this to be honest.

[Edited 9/29/15 8:48am]


Well there is a "Coming soon" picture on Instagram by RedFoxBandit (Martin Homet), I assume it has to do with Phase 2 but not sure. I haven't read anywhere that Free Urself will be on Phase 2 but we can only hope smile
[Edited 9/29/15 9:18am]
We are living in Orwell's 1984
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #262 posted 09/29/15 9:20am

redflag

djThunderfunk said:

redflag said:

That's what a lot of people who are anti-streaming and anti-TIDAL are missing. Prince is finally free to release his music the way he always wanted to without record company and distribution red tape. No waiting for months for his completed record to come out while his label partner tries to work him in between more commercially "relevant" releases that are a higher priority.

[Edited 9/28/15 17:10pm]


Right! Cuz there's no way he could do that with 3rdeyegirl.com?

I have zero interest in renting a stream (already cancelled my free trial less than 3 weeks in) but purchased every download he has offered for sale and will continue to do so. Just sayin'... wink

...and as I followed up on that comment later...

Not with the up-front payment Josh alluded to in one of his interviews. He had that freedom with the Kobalt deal too, but he walked away from it apparently because of the lack of up-front money (at least that's what Funkenberry hinted at in one of his Spreecasts). Also, Prince has shown time and time again that he doesn't have the patience or commitment to run a business long-term. Better to let a consumate businessman like Jay Z take care of that and just pay for Prince to produce his music.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #263 posted 09/29/15 9:28am

novabrkr

MASTAARPEACE

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #264 posted 09/29/15 9:31am

Stranger

I am totally digging this one! Such a breath of fresh air after hnr. Organic, whimsical, charming, cute, catchy and sweet as pie 😃. Can definitely here the 80's in there but also more recent sound and style. Would go well on an album that also has Stare....
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #265 posted 09/29/15 9:32am

RJOrion

It's a very uneventful song...not bad but nothing memorable...it's like another "Baltimore"...but I've given up expecting every Prince release to be a footstomping smash hit...at his age greatness comes in drops, not spurts...the song sounds like something he could have sold to The Bangles in 84...his catalog is so healthy, he's earned the right to not be as great as he always has been..year after year since 1977
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #266 posted 09/29/15 9:54am

KingSausage

avatar

I've listened to this song about 20 times now. It gets better each time. I love it. I'm hoping Phase 2 includes this and Stare. Plus some more organic funk!
"Drop that stereo before I blow your Goddamn nuts off, asshole!"
-Eugene Tackleberry
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #267 posted 09/29/15 9:56am

NoVideo

avatar

Really hope this comes available for download purchase

* * *

Prince's Classic Finally Expanded
The Deluxe 'Purple Rain' Reissue

http://www.popmatters.com...n-reissue/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #268 posted 09/29/15 10:13am

xpertluva

avatar

This is a good song, but I imagine a lot of the positivity stems from many people's discontent with HitnRun phase 1.

By the way, is there definitelty supposed to be a HitnRun phase 2? I was just thinking about the song, The Work part 1, which to my knowledge, doesn't have a second part.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #269 posted 09/29/15 10:17am

ThirdStrike

avatar

xpertluva said:

This is a good song, but I imagine a lot of the positivity stems from many people's discontent with HitnRun phase 1.

By the way, is there definitelty supposed to be a HitnRun phase 2? I was just thinking about the song, The Work part 1, which to my knowledge, doesn't have a second part.

Respectfully (of course) disagree. I love "HnR"...love all but (1) of the tracks on it. And I think "Free Urself" is the very reason I'm a Prince fan. It's is down right addicting. I can't get anough of it. Maybe it's being recognized as GREAT simply because it is, and not because of some comparative subconscious reason?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 9 of 14 « First<5678910111213>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)

This is a "featured" topic! — From here you can jump to the « previous or next » featured topic.

« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > "Free Yourself" (single) now on TIDAL!