independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > CLOUDS
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 7 of 13 « First<34567891011>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #180 posted 08/26/14 6:26am

Rebeljuice

2020 said:

V10LETBLUES said:
Now i've never been one to generalize and criticize "new" pop songs or any genre for not being as good as the good ol days. I like a lot of the new music, even the ones on pop radio. Good music is good music. The troubling part is that as talented as Prince is, it seems he can't see how bad the drum programing is, he can't see how cringeworthty his laser sounds and generic rappers are. Can't see how forced his lyrics sound. I mean even his recent remake of extraloveable came off this way. All way back to 1999 the new master. He can't even feel his own classics in the studio anymore. If someone as talented as Prince can't hear the obvious anymore, i think there is no hope for him in the studio anymore. I feel for the execs at Warner Bros or at least whomever is dealing with him. It's a touchy subject dealing with a legend who doesn't have it anymore. [Edited 8/26/14 5:34am]
Get over yourself already. I'm so tired of people claiming he doesn't had it anymore or the lyrics are just no good. STFU already!!!

I find he doesnt had it anymore and the lyrics are just no good. Godammit already!!!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #181 posted 08/26/14 6:30am

purplethunder3
121

avatar

Rebeljuice said:

2020 said:

V10LETBLUES said: Get over yourself already. I'm so tired of people claiming he doesn't had it anymore or the lyrics are just no good. STFU already!!!

I find he doesnt had it anymore and the lyrics are just no good. Godammit already!!!

I'm so relieved to find out that he doesn't had it any more but that he still has it.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #182 posted 08/26/14 6:40am

chriss

avatar

wildgoldenhoney said:

Bambi82 said:

You should never underestimate the power of a kiss on the neck when she doesn't expect a kiss on the neck, when she doesn't expect a kiss on the neck
Every time you catch her singing in the shower you should go and get a flower no matter what the hour and just rub it on her back, rub it on her back, rub it on her back

In this brand-new age we do everything quick, fast in a hurry
All of our life's a stage
Everybody stars, reality so blurry
If you screamed out loud (loud) on top of your voice would it be higher than the crowd? No.
Tattooless and proud (yeah)
We're getting high on something that doesn't require clouds, no
We don't need no clouds, no.


You should never underestimate the power of a kiss on the neck when she doesn't expect a kiss on the neck, when she doesn't expect a kiss on the neck
Every time you catch her singing in the shower you should go and get a flower no matter what the hour and just rub it on her back right, rub it on her back, rub it on her back all over me?


I want to give you something baby but I wonder does it really even matter if it ain't on a stage? If it ain't on stage I don't think it really matters in this brand-new age.

When life's a stage in this brand-new age how do we engage?
Bullying just for fun, no wonder there are so many guns, maybe we're better off in space.

Mr. Nelson, Mr. Nelson, can you hear my voice? Sir, we know you're a little bit groggy and you're probably going to find it hard to speak but don't try to talk or process too much now. We just wanted to let you know that the medication you were given has put you in suspended animation for quite some time. Well, in fact, about 45 years, but where you are now is a place that does not require time. That being said, you are completely safe.. we're here to help you.


You should never underestimate the power of a kiss on the neck when she doesn't expect a kiss on the neck, when she doesn't expect a kiss on the neck
It's in the power to love you, it's in the power to love you up? It's in the power to love you.

[Edited 8/25/14 4:23am]

Wow, cool. What are clouds, the puff of smoke from weed or drugs, or something?

clouds?

probably like icloud, a hard drive out in space?

information stored in clouds so to speak?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #183 posted 08/26/14 6:46am

chriss

avatar

chriss said:

wildgoldenhoney said:

Wow, cool. What are clouds, the puff of smoke from weed or drugs, or something?

clouds?

probably like icloud, a hard drive out in space?

information stored in clouds so to speak?

After all, the album is called

"Art Official Age"

as in Artificial, right?

that's my assumption.....

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #184 posted 08/26/14 6:51am

hopefularrange
r

chriss said:



chriss said:




wildgoldenhoney said:



Wow, cool. What are clouds, the puff of smoke from weed or drugs, or something?



clouds?


probably like icloud, a hard drive out in space?


information stored in clouds so to speak?



After all, the album is called


"Art Official Age"


as in Artificial, right?


that's my assumption.....



YES!!! Thank you for restoring my faith that someone still understands metaphor and double entendre. Many, it would seem, are too lazy to actually listen with an analytical mind and would just prefer to assume Prince is singing about some airy-fairy shit and "don't have it in him to write good lyrics no' more'.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #185 posted 08/26/14 7:00am

Alexandernvrmi
nd

avatar

Yep... its been a while probably since LotusFlower that I have liked a Prince song on first listen. I listened to this and knew immediately that I didn't dislike it (like so many of his recent songs)... and when I listened again I fell in love.

Good job Prince! Now thats what I'm talking about! So happy right now

Dance... Let me see you dance
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #186 posted 08/26/14 7:04am

KeithyT

avatar

purplethunder3121 said:

Rebeljuice said:

I find he doesnt had it anymore and the lyrics are just no good. Godammit already!!!

I'm so relieved to find out that he doesn't had it any more but that he still has it.

I love it when I think that he does have it still, but he knows that he has it already anymore, and others just don't get that!
Just somewhere in the middle,
Not too good and not too bad.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #187 posted 08/26/14 7:09am

Pentacle

2020 said:


Get over yourself already. I'm so tired of people claiming he doesn't had it anymore or the lyrics are just no good. STFU already!!!



He doesnt 'had' it anymore, and the lyrics are just no good.

Ah, others beat me to it, but never mind: the truth can't be told enough times.



[Edited 8/26/14 7:11am]

Stop the Prince Apologists ™
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #188 posted 08/26/14 7:19am

Zannaloaf

hopefularranger said:

chriss said:

After all, the album is called

"Art Official Age"

as in Artificial, right?

that's my assumption.....

YES!!! Thank you for restoring my faith that someone still understands metaphor and double entendre. Many, it would seem, are too lazy to actually listen with an analytical mind and would just prefer to assume Prince is singing about some airy-fairy shit and "don't have it in him to write good lyrics no' more'.

uhhh. You think no one understands what he is tring to say just becasue they think his writing is lazy and clunky? You'd be wrong about that. Concepts are ok, his expression of them is banal. He writes like an uninspired teenager. Or someone who doesnt have freinds to tell him...ummm..dude....

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #189 posted 08/26/14 7:24am

lwr001

Zannaloaf said:

hopefularranger said:

chriss said: YES!!! Thank you for restoring my faith that someone still understands metaphor and double entendre. Many, it would seem, are too lazy to actually listen with an analytical mind and would just prefer to assume Prince is singing about some airy-fairy shit and "don't have it in him to write good lyrics no' more'.

uhhh. You think no one understands what he is tring to say just becasue they think his writing is lazy and clunky? You'd be wrong about that. Concepts are ok, his expression of them is banal. He writes like an uninspired teenager. Or someone who doesnt have freinds to tell him...ummm..dude....

says the person who's name is zannaloaf....gfoh..the only thing uninspiring is you

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #190 posted 08/26/14 7:26am

thepope2the9s

avatar

wildgoldenhoney said:

Bambi82 said:

You should never underestimate the power of a kiss on the neck when she doesn't expect a kiss on the neck, when she doesn't expect a kiss on the neck
Every time you catch her singing in the shower you should go and get a flower no matter what the hour and just rub it on her back, rub it on her back, rub it on her back

In this brand-new age we do everything quick, fast in a hurry
All of our life's a stage
Everybody stars, reality so blurry
If you screamed out loud (loud) on top of your voice would it be higher than the crowd? No.
Tattooless and proud (yeah)
We're getting high on something that doesn't require clouds, no
We don't need no clouds, no.


You should never underestimate the power of a kiss on the neck when she doesn't expect a kiss on the neck, when she doesn't expect a kiss on the neck
Every time you catch her singing in the shower you should go and get a flower no matter what the hour and just rub it on her back right, rub it on her back, rub it on her back all over me?


I want to give you something baby but I wonder does it really even matter if it ain't on a stage? If it ain't on stage I don't think it really matters in this brand-new age.

When life's a stage in this brand-new age how do we engage?
Bullying just for fun, no wonder there are so many guns, maybe we're better off in space.

Mr. Nelson, Mr. Nelson, can you hear my voice? Sir, we know you're a little bit groggy and you're probably going to find it hard to speak but don't try to talk or process too much now. We just wanted to let you know that the medication you were given has put you in suspended animation for quite some time. Well, in fact, about 45 years, but where you are now is a place that does not require time. That being said, you are completely safe.. we're here to help you.


You should never underestimate the power of a kiss on the neck when she doesn't expect a kiss on the neck, when she doesn't expect a kiss on the neck
It's in the power to love you, it's in the power to love you up? It's in the power to love you.

[Edited 8/25/14 4:23am]

Wow, cool. What are clouds, the puff of smoke from weed or drugs, or something?

the I-Cloud that everyone stores music, pics on....

Stand Up! Everybody, this is your life!
https://www.facebook.com/...pope2the9s follow me on twitter @thepope2the9s
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #191 posted 08/26/14 7:27am

lwr001

I see some folks are upset with Mr Nelson again becasue he didnt take their advice or follow their bluerprint of their highly susccesful recording careers..I mean who does he think he is

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #192 posted 08/26/14 7:35am

emesem

Not expecting too much from these albums based on what was already released.

CLOUDS continues Prince's recent tendencies. Writing about how to turn on women (he gets creepier and creepier the older he gets. I much prefer when he takes amore mature approach like in "Better With Time" or when hes simple 70s easy listening mode) and his critical view of "how people live today". While I mostly agree with him, (I'm only ten years younger than he is) he cant help but sound like an out of touch old man on most of these tracks. Not sure what a 50+ year old is suposed to write about but dont think this will be any sort of "hit". Hits are for kids anyway. Let the Lordes and Bruno Marses have their moment now and just give us some interesting music, catchy melodies and tell us personal and unique stories instead of trying to do mid-tempo R&B pop or "faux" rock.

Post-50 yearold prince is most interesting when he doesnt try as hard to sound contemporary (eg I love the 80s nostaliga he used in 20ten or just totally personal songs like Reflection or just MAF freak outs like PFUNK). Hope that there are the usual good nuggets buried in these two albums (disappionted that Live Out Loud is not on here. Thats a pretty good track) but these two so far dont seem to be cohesive sets like LotusFlower and 20Ten were and its looks like we're headed to another 3121 with AOA and something resembling Chaos and Disorder on the Plectum set, which is Prince "rock" but not the good kind.

[Edited 8/26/14 7:37am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #193 posted 08/26/14 7:35am

Farfunknugin

avatar

lwr001 said:

I see some folks are upset with Mr Nelson again becasue he didnt take their advice or follow their bluerprint of their highly susccesful recording careers..I mean who does he think he is

Ha x2. Like he even sniff's a !@#$

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #194 posted 08/26/14 7:36am

KeithyT

avatar

lwr001 said:

Zannaloaf said:

uhhh. You think no one understands what he is tring to say just becasue they think his writing is lazy and clunky? You'd be wrong about that. Concepts are ok, his expression of them is banal. He writes like an uninspired teenager. Or someone who doesnt have freinds to tell him...ummm..dude....

says the person who's name is zannaloaf....gfoh..the only thing uninspiring is you

wth? lol we're judging people based on the perceived creativity behind their usernames now?
Just somewhere in the middle,
Not too good and not too bad.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #195 posted 08/26/14 7:38am

Romeoblu

Loving this song. The guitar solo is really nice.

So we already know this album has 4 great songs it. That's 4 from 4. I am really looking forward to this album.

Also knowing the tracklst we can also put together an album of the songs that came out between 20ten and Art Official Age that aren't included.

Here's what I've put together.

Extra loveable.

Screwdriver
da Bourgesie
Same page different book
Rock n roll love affair
Boyfriend
Ain't gonna miss u
Extra loveable reloaded
Extra loveable pt 2
Fallinlove2nite
Groovy Potential.

A really good listen.
[Edited 8/26/14 7:53am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #196 posted 08/26/14 7:40am

emesem

Also anyone else dissapointed there wasnt a little shout out to Joni's Both Sides Now.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #197 posted 08/26/14 7:44am

lwr001

KeithyT said:

lwr001 said:

says the person who's name is zannaloaf....gfoh..the only thing uninspiring is you

wth? lol we're judging people based on the perceived creativity behind their usernames now?

well, the org has judged creativity on far less.. of course i am not. just wanted to show the absurdity of it all..

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #198 posted 08/26/14 7:58am

hopefularrange
r

Zannaloaf said:

hopefularranger said:

chriss said: YES!!! Thank you for restoring my faith that someone still understands metaphor and double entendre. Many, it would seem, are too lazy to actually listen with an analytical mind and would just prefer to assume Prince is singing about some airy-fairy shit and "don't have it in him to write good lyrics no' more'.

uhhh. You think no one understands what he is tring to say just becasue they think his writing is lazy and clunky? You'd be wrong about that. Concepts are ok, his expression of them is banal. He writes like an uninspired teenager. Or someone who doesnt have freinds to tell him...ummm..dude....


I just pointed out that someone understands it.

You don't find the lyrics particularly interesting...which is perfectly fine with me...because you (presumably) made an attempt to understand the subject matter. My comment was directed at those essentially who label the lyrics as "sucky" without exerting any effort to understand what they're listening to.

I, for one, happen to disagree with you with regard to how creatively Prince addresses the subject. That's ok, right? smile



[Edited 8/26/14 8:03am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #199 posted 08/26/14 8:15am

thedance

avatar

"Clouds", what a brilliant pop-funky track. I love it. music

On a continous repeat here for the second day in a row.... I can't get enough.... thank U Prince, the song makes me very, very happy. woot! cloud9

Finally. (Such a nice feeling after all the 3eg gargage earlier)

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #200 posted 08/26/14 8:17am

Alexandernvrmi
nd

avatar

Can someone tell me who the female vocalist is? It's a strong vocal. I wish it was Jill Scott.... I know it's not but I want people to hear the song
Dance... Let me see you dance
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #201 posted 08/26/14 8:18am

thedance

avatar

Alexandernvrmind said:

Can someone tell me who the female vocalist is? It's a strong vocal. I wish it was Jill Scott.... I know it's not but I want people to hear the song

her name is... Lianne La Havas... music

ps) I believe Prince was in her appartment to announce his tour in the UK earlier this year??????

Mayby not exactly -- I don't remember in details, let others correct this info?

[Edited 8/26/14 8:20am]

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #202 posted 08/26/14 8:19am

Papaj

avatar

Alexandernvrmind said:

Can someone tell me who the female vocalist is? It's a strong vocal. I wish it was Jill Scott.... I know it's not but I want people to hear the song

It's Lianne La Havas. She is definitely worth checking out. Her debut album is one of the best discs of 2012 in my book. http://www.liannelahavas.com/

We Can Funk
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #203 posted 08/26/14 8:20am

fnksoul

emesem said:

Not expecting too much from these albums based on what was already released.

CLOUDS continues Prince's recent tendencies. Writing about how to turn on women (he gets creepier and creepier the older he gets. I much prefer when he takes amore mature approach like in "Better With Time" or when hes simple 70s easy listening mode) and his critical view of "how people live today". While I mostly agree with him, (I'm only ten years younger than he is) he cant help but sound like an out of touch old man on most of these tracks. Not sure what a 50+ year old is suposed to write about but dont think this will be any sort of "hit". Hits are for kids anyway. Let the Lordes and Bruno Marses have their moment now and just give us some interesting music, catchy melodies and tell us personal and unique stories instead of trying to do mid-tempo R&B pop or "faux" rock.

Post-50 yearold prince is most interesting when he doesnt try as hard to sound contemporary (eg I love the 80s nostaliga he used in 20ten or just totally personal songs like Reflection or just MAF freak outs like PFUNK). Hope that there are the usual good nuggets buried in these two albums (disappionted that Live Out Loud is not on here. Thats a pretty good track) but these two so far dont seem to be cohesive sets like LotusFlower and 20Ten were and its looks like we're headed to another 3121 with AOA and something resembling Chaos and Disorder on the Plectum set, which is Prince "rock" but not the good kind.

[Edited 8/26/14 7:37am]

.

.

You see I think the problem is he possible all out of any personal experiences, he's lived all these years kind of away from anything other than his music, maybe he is lacking the life experience to write anything from the heart and based on personal experience that sounds truthful and meaningful? Im not saying I dislike ay new stuff, but I mean only so much he can do to write meaningful lyrics with a life thats lead in the shadows with nothing else going on other than recording music and no dramas.

.

.

Kind of like Hip hop artists, they write a couple of albums about selling crack and drive by's then once they run out of stories and have money in the bank struggle to follow it up as all they can only rap about their clothes, homes and how much money they got.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #204 posted 08/26/14 8:23am

lwr001

fnksoul said:

emesem said:

Not expecting too much from these albums based on what was already released.

CLOUDS continues Prince's recent tendencies. Writing about how to turn on women (he gets creepier and creepier the older he gets. I much prefer when he takes amore mature approach like in "Better With Time" or when hes simple 70s easy listening mode) and his critical view of "how people live today". While I mostly agree with him, (I'm only ten years younger than he is) he cant help but sound like an out of touch old man on most of these tracks. Not sure what a 50+ year old is suposed to write about but dont think this will be any sort of "hit". Hits are for kids anyway. Let the Lordes and Bruno Marses have their moment now and just give us some interesting music, catchy melodies and tell us personal and unique stories instead of trying to do mid-tempo R&B pop or "faux" rock.

Post-50 yearold prince is most interesting when he doesnt try as hard to sound contemporary (eg I love the 80s nostaliga he used in 20ten or just totally personal songs like Reflection or just MAF freak outs like PFUNK). Hope that there are the usual good nuggets buried in these two albums (disappionted that Live Out Loud is not on here. Thats a pretty good track) but these two so far dont seem to be cohesive sets like LotusFlower and 20Ten were and its looks like we're headed to another 3121 with AOA and something resembling Chaos and Disorder on the Plectum set, which is Prince "rock" but not the good kind.

[Edited 8/26/14 7:37am]

.

.

You see I think the problem is he possible all out of any personal experiences, he's lived all these years kind of away from anything other than his music, maybe he is lacking the life experience to write anything from the heart and based on personal experience that sounds truthful and meaningful? Im not saying I dislike ay new stuff, but I mean only so much he can do to write meaningful lyrics with a life thats lead in the shadows with nothing else going on other than recording music and no dramas.

.

.

Kind of like Hip hop artists, they write a couple of albums about selling crack and drive by's then once they run out of stories and have money in the bank struggle to follow it up as all they can only rap about their clothes, homes and how much money they got.

life exepereinces like yours coming to and posting on the org..ahh i get it

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #205 posted 08/26/14 8:32am

fnksoul

lwr001 said:

fnksoul said:

.

.

life exepereinces like yours coming to and posting on the org..ahh i get it

.

.

Mearly making a point about people who are saying his lyrics are not always the best or dont sound from the heart, they are probabaly more forced than something he may have experienced etc... in recent years.

.

He's on his 33rd album (more if you count some of the others) plus the 100's/maybe 1000's in the vault, cant be easy coming up woth things that are fresh and sound meaningful.

.

He wont sing about alot of stuff these days or avoids certain things because of his beliefs or whatever, only so much you can do I guess.

.

Im happy what ever way he gets music out he can be forgiven for the fact that sometimes what he puts out isnt always spot on.

[Edited 8/26/14 8:51am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #206 posted 08/26/14 8:33am

KingSausage

avatar

Wall said:

*yawn*



A monotonous plodder doused with nostalgia-seeking drum machines and retreaded lyrics. It's a telling sign that the most interesting thing that happens in the song is a voice-over informing Prince he's just woken up from stasis. Well, if this is the dreck he's going to turn out, quick, someone throw him back in the freezer.




Hahaha. YES.
"Drop that stereo before I blow your Goddamn nuts off, asshole!"
-Eugene Tackleberry
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #207 posted 08/26/14 8:38am

thedance

avatar

"A monotonous plodder ....someone throw him back in the freezer." eek

I disagree. smile


Sorry to correct you, but you must be either deaf or maybe dumb for that silly remark about Prince, I guess you were trying to be funny, though.....? wink

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #208 posted 08/26/14 8:44am

tintin

Romeoblu said:

Loving this song. The guitar solo is really nice. So we already know this album has 4 great songs it. That's 4 from 4. I am really looking forward to this album. Also knowing the tracklst we can also put together an album of the songs that came out between 20ten and Art Official Age that aren't included. Here's what I've put together. Extra loveable. Screwdriver da Bourgesie Same page different book Rock n roll love affair Boyfriend Ain't gonna miss u Extra loveable reloaded Extra loveable pt 2 Fallinlove2nite Groovy Potential. A really good listen. [Edited 8/26/14 7:53am]

We're going back a bit but maybe you could include 'Rich Friends' that was suggested would be on a 'deluxe' version of 20Ten?

All of my hang-ups have gone. How I wish you felt the same.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #209 posted 08/26/14 9:43am

lezama

avatar

V10LETBLUES said:

KlyphIsBackAgain said:

Exactly! This is why I say this is a POP song. Its a style of "singing" that has polluted the airwaves for years. And I'm sure someone will say "Oh, its just a variation of scatting, which P has done for years." Bullshit. Now, back to listening to FKA Twigs, some real future R&B.

Now i've never been one to generalize and criticize "new" pop songs or any genre for not being as good as the good ol days. I like a lot of the new music, even the ones on pop radio. Good music is good music. The troubling part is that as talented as Prince is, it seems he can't see how bad the drum programing is, he can't see how cringeworthty his laser sounds and generic rappers are. Can't see how forced his lyrics sound. I mean even his recent remake of extraloveable came off this way. All way back to 1999 the new master. He can't even feel his own classics in the studio anymore. If someone as talented as Prince can't hear the obvious anymore, i think there is no hope for him in the studio anymore. I feel for the execs at Warner Bros or at least whomever is dealing with him. It's a touchy subject dealing with a legend who doesn't have it anymore. [Edited 8/26/14 5:34am]

I can listen to tracks from his very beginnings of his using drum machines that have dodgy programming, Im not sure I hear that's noticeably different that what he's done before. It sounds pretty consistent with what he did throughout 20Ten tbh (which I enjoyed). Im less a fan of the analog old school key synths, but in general I like the track a lot better than BCW.

Change it one more time..
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 7 of 13 « First<34567891011>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > CLOUDS