independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > CLOUDS
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 6 of 13 « First<2345678910>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #150 posted 08/25/14 9:30pm

Askani

avatar

TrevorAyer said:

Askani said:

I like it. Except all that yapping by the woman in the middle. It's a little discouraging that he still thinks that is sort of thing is neat.

Don't put skits in the middle of your god damn song. Please.

yes .. no skits .. no rapping and no lazers .. tap dancing and moaning women are occasionally ok tho

I don't mind the lazers. that's just nit-picky. biggrin

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #151 posted 08/25/14 9:30pm

leadline

avatar

Good lord, what a groove!

"You always get the dream that you deserve, from what you value the most" -Prince 2013
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #152 posted 08/25/14 9:42pm

CocoRock

lol I really like slate.com's take on "Clouds".

"The song is also yet another about bathing."


falloff falloff falloff


  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #153 posted 08/25/14 10:30pm

funkaholic1972

avatar

aiden said:

It sounds like a polished more hi-fi deluxe 20ten... And I loved that album so I'm happy smile

Yeah, you are right actually. I liked most of 20Ten a lot too, so if this one continues in that vein with a bit more polished production then I'll be a happy customer.

RIP Prince: thank U 4 a funky Time!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #154 posted 08/25/14 11:14pm

wildgoldenhone
y

CocoRock said:

lol I really like slate.com's take on "Clouds".

"The song is also yet another about bathing."


falloff falloff falloff


Perhaps inspired by his recent activity on Twitter, Prince ponders a “brand new age” with “all of our lives a stage.”

hmmm

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #155 posted 08/25/14 11:43pm

Blixical

avatar

It's another one of those new Prince songs whose tune you can't really peg after multiple listens.


In other words, indistinguishable from any number of boring R&B tunes on radio today. A far cry from Prince's better material. I can't believe this is Prince. I really can't.

มีเพียงความว่างเปล่า rose 只有空虚 rose Dim ond gwacter rose 만 공허함이있다 rose 唯一の虚しさがあります wilted There is only the void.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #156 posted 08/26/14 12:27am

tatocorcu

I've listened to it a couple hundred times now and still not sure how I feel. I blatantly like it for all the reasons that people have mentioned, but I can help thinking it's not particularly memorable. It also sounds a lot like Breakfast Can Wait to my uneducated ears...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #157 posted 08/26/14 12:49am

thedance

avatar

Blixical said:

It's another one of those new Prince songs whose tune you can't really peg after multiple listens.


In other words, indistinguishable from any number of boring R&B tunes on radio today. A far cry from Prince's better material. I can't believe this is Prince. I really can't.

ok you are really having a hard time.. lol

I feel the opposite, I like the bass (excellent bass playing), the drums (Linn and more), the piano, the sound is so organic... imo.

The vocals are touching me, the spoken part by LaHavas.. wow...

"Clouds" is by far the best thing in a very long time... woot! music

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #158 posted 08/26/14 12:56am

novabrkr

tatocorcu said:

I've listened to it a couple hundred times now and still not sure how I feel. I blatantly like it for all the reasons that people have mentioned, but I can help thinking it's not particularly memorable. It also sounds a lot like Breakfast Can Wait to my uneducated ears...


Well, can't blame you. I've listened to it quite a few times myself too and I wouldn't be able to hum the melody if I was asked to.

And it does sound like "Breakfast Can Wait", so I'm wondering how these two songs will work on the same album. I'm not sure why he's including both on the same record.

Can't fault the "this doesn't sound like Prince" crowd either, because at least the chorus is obviously influenced by contemporary mainstream stuff and not his own take on R&B.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #159 posted 08/26/14 1:53am

jasontate

avatar

This is fuck'n brilliant!

For those who say it's like any other bland boring R&B number. Good frigg, what do you listen to? I want some of it. The groove and bass line on this tune is so perfect Prince. Lianne sounds a brilliant addition to the song.

I don't love everything he's done recently, but this is by far my favourite R&B/pop number for years from Prince. I think it's ACE!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #160 posted 08/26/14 1:55am

jasontate

avatar

novabrkr said:

tatocorcu said:

I've listened to it a couple hundred times now and still not sure how I feel. I blatantly like it for all the reasons that people have mentioned, but I can help thinking it's not particularly memorable. It also sounds a lot like Breakfast Can Wait to my uneducated ears...


Well, can't blame you. I've listened to it quite a few times myself too and I wouldn't be able to hum the melody if I was asked to.

And it does sound like "Breakfast Can Wait", so I'm wondering how these two songs will work on the same album. I'm not sure why he's including both on the same record.

Can't fault the "this doesn't sound like Prince" crowd either, because at least the chorus is obviously influenced by contemporary mainstream stuff and not his own take on R&B.

I listened to it about 3 or 4 times yesterday and I kept waking up with the bass line groove repeating in my head. Everyone's different I s'pose.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #161 posted 08/26/14 2:03am

novabrkr

Well, yeah, it's the groove that's the catchy part. Some of the keyboard stuff towards the end too.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #162 posted 08/26/14 2:19am

Phishanga

avatar

KingSausage said:

Clouds is fucking terrible. Really bloody awful. RNR Love Affair (whatever) and Groovy Potential are the only semi-good songs he's released in years. These two new albums are going to suck balls. Art official balls.

lol lol lol

Hey loudmouth, shut the fuck up, right?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #163 posted 08/26/14 2:39am

TheEnglishGent

avatar

I'm not going to listen to this until I've got the album. Too often I've played songs so many times that by the time the album comes out there are large parts which are already too familiar. Already have Breakfast and Breakdown, so will wait for any more.

Bit concerned about the comparisons with Breakfast Can Wait as that is the worst song he's released in a long time for me but will wait to make judgement. Very hyped for Plectrum Electrum, loved everything I've heard from that. I'm looking at Art Official Age as just a bonus album and not having any hopes for it. R&B Prince is not the Prince I like

RIP sad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #164 posted 08/26/14 2:54am

NouveauDance

avatar

V10LETBLUES said:

And what's with his lyrical phrasing now, so disjointed and awkward with words inserted almost haphazardly. his phrasing used to flow like butter and have charm and charisma. Now its clumsy. So strange.

Been saying this for years, it's marred many an otherwise fine little pop song.

.

My guess is that he just doesn't care too much about lyrics any more, in terms of crafting them. Probably recording the song as quickly as possible to capture the moment and the idea that sparked the inspiration for it. And the lyrics suffer because he's done with the song so quickly without room for honing and polishing it.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #165 posted 08/26/14 3:04am

Wall

avatar

*yawn*

A monotonous plodder doused with nostalgia-seeking drum machines and retreaded lyrics. It's a telling sign that the most interesting thing that happens in the song is a voice-over informing Prince he's just woken up from stasis. Well, if this is the dreck he's going to turn out, quick, someone throw him back in the freezer.

No hard feelings.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #166 posted 08/26/14 3:06am

fnksoul

Brilliant song, I have Very high hopes for the album now smile

.

.

I was wondering though, its give out as a download when you pre-order the album, I wondered if that counds towards sales for the Single in the first week like it does when albums drop? Potentially on the back of the Album pre-orders it could mean that the single climbs the charts, maybe not a top 10 but could push it up.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #167 posted 08/26/14 3:18am

wildgoldenhone
y

I like it. smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #168 posted 08/26/14 3:22am

jasontate

avatar

TheEnglishGent said:

I'm not going to listen to this until I've got the album. Too often I've played songs so many times that by the time the album comes out there are large parts which are already too familiar. Already have Breakfast and Breakdown, so will wait for any more.

Bit concerned about the comparisons with Breakfast Can Wait as that is the worst song he's released in a long time for me but will wait to make judgement. Very hyped for Plectrum Electrum, loved everything I've heard from that. I'm looking at Art Official Age as just a bonus album and not having any hopes for it. R&B Prince is not the Prince I like

Ha, I was going to do that too as I always end up skipping the pre release songs for at tleast 6 months into owning an album. I cracked after 4 hours though.

Don't worry about the BCW comparison. This is WAAAAAYYYYY bettererer, I pwomise. cool

As for Plectrumelectrum. I feel like I'm gonna have a stroke when I finally get to hear WOW on my headphones! Awesome.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #169 posted 08/26/14 3:37am

DreZone

avatar

DJ506 said:

~ I like "Clouds" but it instantly remined me of "Her Favorite Song (Oliver Remix)" - Mayer Hawthorne

cool



YES!!!!
Tried many flavours - but sooner or later, always go back to the Purple Kool-aid!

http://facebook.com/thedrezoneofficial
Http://Twitter.com/thedrezone
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #170 posted 08/26/14 4:07am

Rebeljuice

Its an ok song. Nothing to write home about, but better than a lot of what I have heard over the past few years. I get the feeling that there is too much ProTools going on (again) and the beat is too on the money and metronomic which is what computers do to music. It also sounds like it wants to carry on into a funky electro jam at the end with the computer synth bass becoming more prominent. Maybe the album version will be extended and go a bit nuts for a minute or 2.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #171 posted 08/26/14 4:25am

funkaholic1972

avatar

tatocorcu said:

I've listened to it a couple hundred times now and still not sure how I feel. I blatantly like it for all the reasons that people have mentioned, but I can help thinking it's not particularly memorable. It also sounds a lot like Breakfast Can Wait to my uneducated ears...

Yeah, I have the same 'problem', I like to listen to it, but for the love of God I wouldn't be able to reporduce the chorus. Still, it has a nice little groove going on.

RIP Prince: thank U 4 a funky Time!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #172 posted 08/26/14 4:29am

BobGeorge909

avatar

jasontate said:



TheEnglishGent said:


I'm not going to listen to this until I've got the album. Too often I've played songs so many times that by the time the album comes out there are large parts which are already too familiar. Already have Breakfast and Breakdown, so will wait for any more.



Bit concerned about the comparisons with Breakfast Can Wait as that is the worst song he's released in a long time for me but will wait to make judgement. Very hyped for Plectrum Electrum, loved everything I've heard from that. I'm looking at Art Official Age as just a bonus album and not having any hopes for it. R&B Prince is not the Prince I like





Ha, I was going to do that too as I always end up skipping the pre release songs for at tleast 6 months into owning an album. I cracked after 4 hours though.



Don't worry about the BCW comparison. This is WAAAAAYYYYY bettererer, I pwomise. cool



As for Plectrumelectrum. I feel like I'm gonna have a stroke when I finally get to hear WOW on my headphones! Awesome.



This is about where I am at. Between plectrum electrum(song) and pretzel, I'm all randy and shit. Fixurlifeup is Bleh...but the prior two have me very excited for the plectrumelectrum album. My trigger finger is itching for WOW and the funknroll remix(that's on PE, right?). I like rock prince a lot. Reminds me of the semi-hiatus period during 'the hits' release and prior to gold. I was just getting into prince and then mother fucker shows up vh1 honors w/ interactive and endorphinmachine and BLOWS MY MIND. I doubt these anticipated tunes will do as such as I was an adolescent and sucking up jew shit...but I'm certain they will be exciting. I anticipate art official age will be interesting but I don't anticipate it will tickle my taint as much as plectrum will.

One tune that still literally BLOWS MY MIND..literally..still..after 1k+ listens...Is days of wild off of the Dawn collection...W O W.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #173 posted 08/26/14 4:34am

MIRvmn

avatar

jasontate said:



TheEnglishGent said:


I'm not going to listen to this until I've got the album. Too often I've played songs so many times that by the time the album comes out there are large parts which are already too familiar. Already have Breakfast and Breakdown, so will wait for any more.



Bit concerned about the comparisons with Breakfast Can Wait as that is the worst song he's released in a long time for me but will wait to make judgement. Very hyped for Plectrum Electrum, loved everything I've heard from that. I'm looking at Art Official Age as just a bonus album and not having any hopes for it. R&B Prince is not the Prince I like





Ha, I was going to do that too as I always end up skipping the pre release songs for at tleast 6 months into owning an album. I cracked after 4 hours though.



Don't worry about the BCW comparison. This is WAAAAAYYYYY bettererer, I pwomise. cool



As for Plectrumelectrum. I feel like I'm gonna have a stroke when I finally get to hear WOW on my headphones! Awesome.


Yes Clouds is much better than boring Breakfast can wait
We are living in Orwell's 1984
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #174 posted 08/26/14 4:49am

V10LETBLUES

NouveauDance said:



V10LETBLUES said:


And what's with his lyrical phrasing now, so disjointed and awkward with words inserted almost haphazardly. his phrasing used to flow like butter and have charm and charisma. Now its clumsy. So strange.

Been saying this for years, it's marred many an otherwise fine little pop song.


.


My guess is that he just doesn't care too much about lyrics any more, in terms of crafting them. Probably recording the song as quickly as possible to capture the moment and the idea that sparked the inspiration for it. And the lyrics suffer because he's done with the song so quickly without room for honing and polishing it.



Yes it comes off so forced. like he is reading lyrics verbatim from a sheet of paper and not even feeling the song himself, just going through the motions.
What gets me is the solution is usually so simple, just feel the music and stop forcing the lyrics.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #175 posted 08/26/14 4:52am

KlyphIsBackAga
in

avatar

NouveauDance said:

V10LETBLUES said:

And what's with his lyrical phrasing now, so disjointed and awkward with words inserted almost haphazardly. his phrasing used to flow like butter and have charm and charisma. Now its clumsy. So strange.

Been saying this for years, it's marred many an otherwise fine little pop song.

.

My guess is that he just doesn't care too much about lyrics any more, in terms of crafting them. Probably recording the song as quickly as possible to capture the moment and the idea that sparked the inspiration for it. And the lyrics suffer because he's done with the song so quickly without room for honing and polishing it.

Exactly! This is why I say this is a POP song. Its a style of "singing" that has polluted the airwaves for years. And I'm sure someone will say "Oh, its just a variation of scatting, which P has done for years." Bullshit. Now, back to listening to FKA Twigs, some real future R&B.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #176 posted 08/26/14 5:08am

iZsaZsa

avatar

leadline said:

Good lord, what a groove!


I get a The Jones Girls "Nights Over Egypt" feel. Oh yeah. music
What?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #177 posted 08/26/14 5:28am

V10LETBLUES

KlyphIsBackAgain said:



NouveauDance said:




V10LETBLUES said:


And what's with his lyrical phrasing now, so disjointed and awkward with words inserted almost haphazardly. his phrasing used to flow like butter and have charm and charisma. Now its clumsy. So strange.

Been saying this for years, it's marred many an otherwise fine little pop song.


.


My guess is that he just doesn't care too much about lyrics any more, in terms of crafting them. Probably recording the song as quickly as possible to capture the moment and the idea that sparked the inspiration for it. And the lyrics suffer because he's done with the song so quickly without room for honing and polishing it.




Exactly! This is why I say this is a POP song. Its a style of "singing" that has polluted the airwaves for years. And I'm sure someone will say "Oh, its just a variation of scatting, which P has done for years." Bullshit. Now, back to listening to FKA Twigs, some real future R&B.




Now i've never been one to generalize and criticize "new" pop songs or any genre for not being as good as the good ol days. I like a lot of the new music, even the ones on pop radio. Good music is good music. The troubling part is that as talented as Prince is, it seems he can't see how bad the drum programing is, he can't see how cringeworthty his laser sounds and generic rappers are. Can't see how forced his lyrics sound.
I mean even his recent remake of extraloveable came off this way. All way back to 1999 the new master. He can't even feel his own classics in the studio anymore.

If someone as talented as Prince can't hear the obvious anymore, i think there is no hope for him in the studio anymore.
I feel for the execs at Warner Bros or at least whomever is dealing with him. It's a touchy subject dealing with a legend who doesn't have it anymore.
[Edited 8/26/14 5:34am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #178 posted 08/26/14 5:48am

2020

avatar

V10LETBLUES said:

KlyphIsBackAgain said:



NouveauDance said:




V10LETBLUES said:


And what's with his lyrical phrasing now, so disjointed and awkward with words inserted almost haphazardly. his phrasing used to flow like butter and have charm and charisma. Now its clumsy. So strange.

Been saying this for years, it's marred many an otherwise fine little pop song.


.


My guess is that he just doesn't care too much about lyrics any more, in terms of crafting them. Probably recording the song as quickly as possible to capture the moment and the idea that sparked the inspiration for it. And the lyrics suffer because he's done with the song so quickly without room for honing and polishing it.




Exactly! This is why I say this is a POP song. Its a style of "singing" that has polluted the airwaves for years. And I'm sure someone will say "Oh, its just a variation of scatting, which P has done for years." Bullshit. Now, back to listening to FKA Twigs, some real future R&B.




Now i've never been one to generalize and criticize "new" pop songs or any genre for not being as good as the good ol days. I like a lot of the new music, even the ones on pop radio. Good music is good music. The troubling part is that as talented as Prince is, it seems he can't see how bad the drum programing is, he can't see how cringeworthty his laser sounds and generic rappers are. Can't see how forced his lyrics sound.
I mean even his recent remake of extraloveable came off this way. All way back to 1999 the new master. He can't even feel his own classics in the studio anymore.

If someone as talented as Prince can't hear the obvious anymore, i think there is no hope for him in the studio anymore.
I feel for the execs at Warner Bros or at least whomever is dealing with him. It's a touchy subject dealing with a legend who doesn't have it anymore.
[Edited 8/26/14 5:34am]

Get over yourself already. I'm so tired of people claiming he doesn't had it anymore or the lyrics are just no good. STFU already!!!
The greatest live performer of our times was is and always will be Prince.

Remember there is only one destination and that place is U
All of it. Everything. Is U.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #179 posted 08/26/14 6:15am

Askani

avatar

His lyrics lately are lazy. Very first-draft. I think he's going for an off-the-cuff or stream-of-conscious vibe a lot of the time lately. But that isn't generally what lyrics are.

There have been so many songs in the last several years that after 3 listens, we can all pretty quickly come up with a few better chosen words or more clever or poetic turns of phrase that would have made these songs gel as actual songs rather than tossed off ditties.

It isn't that most of them are particularly bad. They're often just sloppy/lazy and suffer from never having a revision or rethink. When he's done he's done and there seems to be nobreal craft to them.

There are other issues (often too-slick production - gilding the lilly, if you will), but the lyrics are probably the major area where he seems to have dropped the ball.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 6 of 13 « First<2345678910>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > CLOUDS