independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 28th Feb 2020 2:06am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Dakota Jazz Club & Restaurant - New 8CD set coming soon
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 6 123456>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 02/16/13 10:10pm

castilianblue

Dakota Jazz Club & Restaurant - New 8CD set coming soon

ATTENTION FOLKS. AS THE BANNER AT THE TOP OF THE FORUM STATES:


"ABSOLUTELY NO SOLICITING FOR BOOTLEGS.

[You want to discuss them? That's fine - but NO OFFERS TO COPY, NO REQUESTS TO COPY, NO "WHERE CAN I GET", etc. NO POSTING OF LINKS TO THESE SITES EITHER. Please be aware that the moderators here strictly enforce this rule."] - luv4u

*****************

For anyone interested...

There will be a new 8CD (2x4CD) set by EYE records soon

"3 days with 2 shows every evening

Jazz-Funk-Rock 3 different nights! (just what we all like so much)

nice box with two 4CD box set in cardboard wrapping"

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 02/17/13 12:31am

sovembol

GOOD!!!!! Eat that 3rdeyegirl!!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 02/17/13 12:37am

djThunderfunk

avatar

I'll pay for the stuff on 3rdeyegirl.com, but if I wanna hear this I'll wait and download it for free...

It won't take long.

wink

"No one can keep track of how many times you've quit, with all the histrionics and ball clutching." - Angry Troll

"No one can count to 2? Wow!" - Me
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 02/17/13 4:11am

TheEnglishGent

avatar

djThunderfunk said:

I'll pay for the stuff on 3rdeyegirl.com, but if I wanna hear this I'll wait and download it for free...

It won't take long.

wink

nod

Come on 3rdeye, beat the bootleggers!

RIP sad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 02/17/13 4:43am

PaisleyRose

That's sad. disbelief I can see why Prince is so fed up with bootleggers & the Internet.
PaisleyRose was here rose
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 02/17/13 4:59am

Pitrzel

Then he should give us what we want in a good price and everyone would be happy.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 02/17/13 5:02am

Fonkyman

TheEnglishGent said:

djThunderfunk said:

I'll pay for the stuff on 3rdeyegirl.com, but if I wanna hear this I'll wait and download it for free...

It won't take long.

wink

nod

Come on 3rdeye, beat the bootleggers!

I feel the same as Thunder. If P released a set like that I'd pay him for em though. I'm sure I'm not the only one either. He's missing out on more than a few quid.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 02/17/13 5:19am

TheEnglishGent

avatar

Fonkyman said:

TheEnglishGent said:

nod

Come on 3rdeye, beat the bootleggers!

I feel the same as Thunder. If P released a set like that I'd pay him for em though. I'm sure I'm not the only one either. He's missing out on more than a few quid.

Definitely.

RIP sad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 02/17/13 5:27am

GoldenParachut
e

Id rather pay for a physical copy than a download also.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 02/17/13 6:15am

ARock

avatar

I would pay for this set, I wish Prince released this officially. Physical copy would be awesome!
[Edited 2/17/13 6:55am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 02/17/13 2:37pm

FragileUnderto
w

avatar

I've heard about 12 minutes of the various tracks

Quality is not great but its definitely listenable

I cant wait to hear the set cool

Cant believe my purple psychedelic pimp slap pimp2

And I descend from grace, In arms of undertow
I will take my place, In the great below
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 02/17/13 6:20pm

castilianblue

PaisleyRose said:

That's sad. disbelief I can see why Prince is so fed up with bootleggers & the Internet.

Why is it sad? It's not. Prince could easily be doing this on his own, as we already know he's got the nights in perfect quality already. So, he could've released this stuff himself weeks ago. Hell, he STILL could even after Eye Records releases their set because the samples I've heard don't even come close to what a soundboard's copy would sound like. But, I can guarantee he won't.

Now, THAT is what's really sad.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 02/17/13 6:34pm

riocoolnes

avatar

Pitrzel said:

Then he should give us what we want in a good price and everyone would be happy.

Okay he should release a video of every single concert he ever did . get real.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 02/17/13 6:59pm

TrevorAyer

riocoolnes said:

Pitrzel said:

Then he should give us what we want in a good price and everyone would be happy.

Okay he should release a video of every single concert he ever did . get real.

if pearl jam and phish can do it so can prince .. its not that hard .. bands even sell them immediately after the show so people can purchase them on the way out the door ..

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 02/17/13 7:03pm

HonestMan13

avatar

According to this site every burp in an arena Prince has made since 1983 should be on Blu-Ray, DVD & CD. Not exactly a great money making idea. Flood the market with every performance from every tour.
When eye go 2 a Prince concert or related event it's all heart up in the house but when eye log onto this site and the miasma of bitchiness is completely overwhelming!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 02/17/13 7:37pm

EddieC

HonestMan13 said:

According to this site every burp in an arena Prince has made since 1983 should be on Blu-Ray, DVD & CD. Not exactly a great money making idea. Flood the market with every performance from every tour.

I don't want every burp--just a representative one or two or three shows from each tour, any particularly interesting aftershows (or even selections), and on CD or download. I don't have time to watch shows, but I can listen to them when I'm doing other stuff.

And as far as market--there's no market for live material anyway--except among fans, and while I realize it won't make him tons, it won't cost much either, since he doesn't have to make a big deal out it. People who want live stuff have been downloading it for years, and probably would be fine with his going a download route--and the relatively few people who actually buy boots seem to be enough to keep the boot companies going, so it's got to be fairly lucrative. A lot more of us would buy if it were him releasing, so, yeah, I think he'd do okay--he's already been paid for the show, and selling recordings wouldn't hurt him there, so it's all gravy. And his art as a live performer would be better represented than on the crap recordings that are mostly out there now. And recordings of live performances are the only legacy he can leave of that aspect of his career, if legacy matters to him (which it very well might not).

The real problem isn't that he doesn't make "everything" available, but that he keeps teasing stuff and never follows through. People feel burned, and have less faith in any new project he tries to do. He's been waving this Montreux possibility in our faces since Lotusflower when he ran a few vids there. We know he's got the soundboards to the Dakota shows--oh, maybe 3rdeyegirl has them--but somebody could drop them anytime he wanted. And he knows we want them, and he's teased bits of them. For what purpose? To annoy people who still want to give him the benefit of the doubt but are finding it harder and harder to do so?

Actually, if he'd just shut up about the live stuff (and stop encouraging those around him to say things), then I wouldn't say anything at all. But if he's going to keep talking and keep releasing isolated live tracks, he's just whetting my appetite for a real meal. If he doesn't provide it, people will go elsewhere to find it. If he cares about boots, he's got a real way to hurt that market--not hounding trading websites and bloggers, but by actually letting people get the real thing from him.

Of course, as long as some people remain so vocal with their "I didn't pay for them, but I got the new tracks and they suck and I wouldn't pay for them, ha ha suckers" foolishness, those of us who are paying probably shouldn't expect any of this to ever go very far.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 02/17/13 7:57pm

riocoolnes

avatar

yall we gotta stop bitching. Sure i can't lie id love to see prince release 1-2 more live albums. But i ddon't want one from every concert. Memories are meant to be remembered not recorded.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 02/17/13 8:36pm

EddieC

riocoolnes said:

yall we gotta stop bitching. Sure i can't lie id love to see prince release 1-2 more live albums. But i ddon't want one from every concert. Memories are meant to be remembered not recorded.

Of course--but I've never seen him play, and the fact is that I probably won't. He comes nowhere near me (hasn't since 1998--and I couldn't go then), and while I can pop for a download, I can't close my business and go to where he does play and pay for hotels and everything else that would be required. So, good for those who have the memories, but since he has recorded the shows, I'd like to be able to buy them from him for a reasonable price. While I've got a lot of shows (I'm not sure how many, but more than I'll probably ever listen to), I'd still like a few more that actually sound GOOD. I'd rather have studio material, but it still seems to me that live would be easy for him to release, and good for building good feelings among fans.

[Edited 2/17/13 20:36pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 02/17/13 8:54pm

riocoolnes

avatar

EddieC said:

riocoolnes said:

yall we gotta stop bitching. Sure i can't lie id love to see prince release 1-2 more live albums. But i ddon't want one from every concert. Memories are meant to be remembered not recorded.

Of course--but I've never seen him play, and the fact is that I probably won't. He comes nowhere near me (hasn't since 1998--and I couldn't go then), and while I can pop for a download, I can't close my business and go to where he does play and pay for hotels and everything else that would be required. So, good for those who have the memories, but since he has recorded the shows, I'd like to be able to buy them from him for a reasonable price. While I've got a lot of shows (I'm not sure how many, but more than I'll probably ever listen to), I'd still like a few more that actually sound GOOD. I'd rather have studio material, but it still seems to me that live would be easy for him to release, and good for building good feelings among fans.

[Edited 2/17/13 20:36pm]

Really where are you from? i got to see Prince 2 times.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 02/17/13 10:01pm

HonestMan13

avatar

EddieC said:

HonestMan13 said:

According to this site every burp in an arena Prince has made since 1983 should be on Blu-Ray, DVD & CD. Not exactly a great money making idea. Flood the market with every performance from every tour.

I don't want every burp--just a representative one or two or three shows from each tour, any particularly interesting aftershows (or even selections), and on CD or download. I don't have time to watch shows, but I can listen to them when I'm doing other stuff.

And as far as market--there's no market for live material anyway--except among fans, and while I realize it won't make him tons, it won't cost much either, since he doesn't have to make a big deal out it. People who want live stuff have been downloading it for years, and probably would be fine with his going a download route--and the relatively few people who actually buy boots seem to be enough to keep the boot companies going, so it's got to be fairly lucrative. A lot more of us would buy if it were him releasing, so, yeah, I think he'd do okay--he's already been paid for the show, and selling recordings wouldn't hurt him there, so it's all gravy. And his art as a live performer would be better represented than on the crap recordings that are mostly out there now. And recordings of live performances are the only legacy he can leave of that aspect of his career, if legacy matters to him (which it very well might not).

The real problem isn't that he doesn't make "everything" available, but that he keeps teasing stuff and never follows through. People feel burned, and have less faith in any new project he tries to do. He's been waving this Montreux possibility in our faces since Lotusflower when he ran a few vids there. We know he's got the soundboards to the Dakota shows--oh, maybe 3rdeyegirl has them--but somebody could drop them anytime he wanted. And he knows we want them, and he's teased bits of them. For what purpose? To annoy people who still want to give him the benefit of the doubt but are finding it harder and harder to do so?

Actually, if he'd just shut up about the live stuff (and stop encouraging those around him to say things), then I wouldn't say anything at all. But if he's going to keep talking and keep releasing isolated live tracks, he's just whetting my appetite for a real meal. If he doesn't provide it, people will go elsewhere to find it. If he cares about boots, he's got a real way to hurt that market--not hounding trading websites and bloggers, but by actually letting people get the real thing from him.

Of course, as long as some people remain so vocal with their "I didn't pay for them, but I got the new tracks and they suck and I wouldn't pay for them, ha ha suckers" foolishness, those of us who are paying probably shouldn't expect any of this to ever go very far.

The thing is people will still find something to complain about(MP3 versus wav. versus flac versus ???). Prince fans are notorious for wanting extras with whatever they buy. So there is no easy way for Prince to give us live shows. Yeah he could do like other acts and offer a download after a show but then we have the sound argument all over again and then there's no packaging for the CD enthusiasts and no extras for the greedier fans. He cannot please us all. Still every time he does a show this debate springs up and everyone still would want it their way in the end.

When eye go 2 a Prince concert or related event it's all heart up in the house but when eye log onto this site and the miasma of bitchiness is completely overwhelming!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 02/17/13 10:14pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

I will never ever buy bootlegs. hmph!

Edmonton, AB - canada
Mod Goddess of the SNIP & BAN Making Moves - OF4S
Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 02/17/13 11:40pm

Chiquetet

avatar

Honestly, I don't get why commercial bootleggers get to advertise here.

I realise people want to discuss unreleased stuff and that's a massive grey area and one the org has always navigated carefully and, by most people's definitions, successfully.

But this thread is clearly an advertisement for a bootleg that you have to pay someone for - giving people money for music they had nothing to do with making.

I don't think it's good enough just to say, "C'mon Prince, don't want the bootleggers to win? Beat them to it." As valid an argument as it is from a logical/intellectual standpoint, it's ultimately a form of blackmail, trying to force an artist's hand just like record labels and publishers try to do. These are exactly the sort of tactics we know Prince is vehemently against and it's probably just likely to make him push back even harder.

If people want to wait until this stuff is uploaded to torrent sites and download it for free, that's one thing.

But if anyone's seriously happy to hand over money to these thieves and then, in some cases, even turn around and bitch about having to spend 88c to buy something directly from the artist, well that's just messed up.

I love CDs. And vinyl, for that matter. I'm really hoping Prince starts releasing stuff in physical form again soon. But I'm not going to just give up and start handing money to first person who dangles some average-quality recording in front of me - a person who has absolutely no right to either the money or the recording.

Some fans say they are dedicated to "freeing the music". That's a different thing and, although I have issues with the notion, I do understand their perspective. But this? This is a commercial venture aimed at profiting directly from someone else's art.

Justify it however you like so that you can buy your bootlegs and then sleep well at night, but the fact is that it's illegal for a reason - it's theft, subtlely sweetened by the implied approval of the fan community simply because of the perceived number of fans that partake (which is the minority, btw).

People argue that Prince could put these guys out of business by getting the material out in better quality first. True, he could.

But if fans found disapproval of the practice everywhere they turned - the forums, the social media sites, everywhere - then the numbers of willing customers would dry up quickly as it became seriously frowned upon by the Prince fan community as a whole.

Stop putting the onus on Prince that he has to compromise his wishes as an artist in order to prevent the theft of his work. The fans are just as capable of bringing these guys down.

Right now, they're simply no more willing to do it than Prince.

/rant.

Lake Minnetonka Music: https://lakeminnetonka.bandcamp.com/
Lake Minnetonka Press Kit: http://onepagelink.com/lakeminnetonka/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 02/17/13 11:40pm

udo

avatar

PaisleyRose said:

That's sad. disbelief I can see why Prince is so fed up with bootleggers & the Internet.

I cannot.

Prince did not put this out himself.

Same as Montreux, same as 99.13% of all shows he did.

And even if he does he does a bad job.

(Dakota in one CD just like the 21 Nights thing?)

So what do you see?

Pills and thrills and daffodils will kill... If you don't believe me or don't get it, I don't have time to try to convince you, sorry.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 02/18/13 12:13am

djThunderfunk

avatar

Chiquetet said:

Honestly, I don't get why commercial bootleggers get to advertise here.

I realise people want to discuss unreleased stuff and that's a massive grey area and one the org has always navigated carefully and, by most people's definitions, successfully.

But this thread is clearly an advertisement for a bootleg that you have to pay someone for - giving people money for music they had nothing to do with making.

I find out about these bootlegs here, then wait till a day or two after they become available and use my googles to find a free copy. So, they may advertise to me, but, I won't give them $$.

I will continue to give Prince my $$. I've bought all of these new tracks and will buy any new ones.

wink

"No one can keep track of how many times you've quit, with all the histrionics and ball clutching." - Angry Troll

"No one can count to 2? Wow!" - Me
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 02/18/13 12:20am

Javi

As an artist, Prince is totally free to publish what he wants. I don't agree with this "he should give us what we want". I also wish he would publish more CDs and DVDs, but if he doesn't want to, I think we should respect it. Anyway, this seems to be a great set.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 02/18/13 6:03am

HonestMan13

avatar

As long as bootleggers understand that there are fans thirsty enough to buy every single release then this will continue to happen. The "give us what we want" argument implies that every show is worthy of a release and that's probably not how Prince sees it. For myself I'm more interested in a boot of a show if I was in attendance(kind of capturing a memory) or if the setlist was so extraordinary that it warrants a listen. The obsessive need to collect every Prince show from a tour has never grabbed me.

When eye go 2 a Prince concert or related event it's all heart up in the house but when eye log onto this site and the miasma of bitchiness is completely overwhelming!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 02/18/13 6:19am

udo

avatar

HonestMan13 said:

The obsessive need to collect every Prince show from a tour has never grabbed me.

You forgot all the other tours, the off-tour one-off shows, radio- & TV-appearances, demo's, outakes and such materials.

Pills and thrills and daffodils will kill... If you don't believe me or don't get it, I don't have time to try to convince you, sorry.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 02/18/13 6:54am

Purpleaxxe1972

Fonkyman said:

TheEnglishGent said:

nod

Come on 3rdeye, beat the bootleggers!

I feel the same as Thunder. If P released a set like that I'd pay him for em though. I'm sure I'm not the only one either. He's missing out on more than a few quid.

I'm holding off on getting this for a while. I want to see what gets uploaded to 3rdEyeGirl. I'm still waiting on that Montreaux release!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 02/18/13 7:12am

udo

avatar

Purpleaxxe1972 said:

I'm still waiting on that Montreaux release!

There's this bootleg DVD thingie floating around.

The 2013 release I cannot say anything about.

Pills and thrills and daffodils will kill... If you don't believe me or don't get it, I don't have time to try to convince you, sorry.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 02/18/13 7:50am

TheEnglishGent

avatar

udo said:

Purpleaxxe1972 said:

I'm still waiting on that Montreaux release!

There's this bootleg DVD thingie floating around.

The 2013 release I cannot say anything about.

We can talk about it, we just can't link to it or provide clues as to where it may be found.

RIP sad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 6 123456>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Dakota Jazz Club & Restaurant - New 8CD set coming soon