independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 31st Jul 2014 4:26am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Tommy Debarge coming out with book about his family
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 5 12345>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 01/08/09 5:20pm

scriptgirl

avatar

Tommy Debarge coming out with book about his family

He cowrote it with his wife and apparently he holds nothing back and it is a lot more scandalous than the white washed book by his mom and is very different thanb Bunny's. It's called "There'll Never Be."
"Lack of home training crosses all boundaries."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 01/08/09 5:38pm

funkpill

avatar

now that should be interesting hmmm
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 01/08/09 6:01pm

scriptgirl

avatar

I bet if Bobby had lived, he would have written a book
"Lack of home training crosses all boundaries."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 01/08/09 6:41pm

bboy87

avatar

Damn, another Debarge book?
Punk Mistress Certified FAMF

"We may deify or demonize them but not ignore them. And we call them genius, because they are the people who change the world."

http://jaywonder.tumblr.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 01/08/09 6:45pm

scriptgirl

avatar

That family has had enough drama for a trilogy times ten
"Lack of home training crosses all boundaries."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 01/09/09 2:11am

Ottensen

bboy87 said:

Damn, another Debarge book?


Gotta strike while the iron is hot.

There's a resurgence of interest since the movie was released, El ended up being a headlining story with his arrest on a gossip megasite or two, and looks like there are a couple of songs on syndicated radio play lists that sample heavy from DeBarge hits...if anybody in that family's got anything to push...from a pr standpoint they'd better get cracking right NOW.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 01/09/09 3:12am

daingermouz202
0

hmmmm..... I am wondering now how much of it is about healing and/or therapy and how much of it is all about the money that could possibly go to support there drug habits. I am sure Tommy's book would be interesting. I personally think Bobby's wife Terri (I think thats her name)or Bunny's ex husband Tony Jordan (assuming he's still alive ) would be the most interesting of ALL the stories if told.

I think it was Bobby's wife that said after his death she thought they'd (the Debarge family drug issues) would get better, but it got worse.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 01/09/09 3:24am

Ottensen

daingermouz2020 said:

hmmmm..... I am wondering now how much of it is about healing and/or therapy and how much of it is all about the money that could possibly go to support there drug habits. I am sure Tommy's book would be interesting. I personally think Bobby's wife Terri (I think thats her name)or Bunny's ex husband Tony Jordan (assuming he's still alive ) would be the most interesting of ALL the stories if told.

I think it was Bobby's wife that said after his death she thought they'd (the Debarge family drug issues) would get better, but it got worse.


I know it sounds silly, but to be honest most folks I've encountered with those issues are so incapacitated they can barely make it through the 'maintaining their art' phase...however, to take on brand new endeavors where they don't already have an over the top, infinitely funded, enabling props in place to coddle them and delusions of grandeur reqires so much focus and committment- they're usually clean and trying to excercise some demons as it were...In my estimation I would bet he's clean...but then it'll be interesting to see if he won't relapse as soon as hangers-on start feeding the ego and preying on his weakness should the book attract any level of success.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 01/09/09 7:31am

scriptgirl

avatar

I can't see any book on Debarge being a best seller and Tommy is pretty much incapacitated by the kidney disease he has, so I don't think drugs are an issue with him. when did Bunny get divorced?
Bobby's wife seems bitter and El is seperated from his wife Monique-she seems like she might have some ish to say, esp after seeing hero on TV One. I bet El's 2nd wife Tracey has some dirt to sling as well.
"Lack of home training crosses all boundaries."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 01/09/09 12:47pm

Karen71

Ottensen said:

bboy87 said:

Damn, another Debarge book?


Gotta strike while the iron is hot.

There's a resurgence of interest since the movie was released, El ended up being a headlining story with his arrest on a gossip megasite or two, and looks like there are a couple of songs on syndicated radio play lists that sample heavy from DeBarge hits...if anybody in that family's got anything to push...from a pr standpoint they'd better get cracking right NOW.

PLEASE make it stop!

The truth is that the fire is not hot for these guys, hasn't been in over 2 decades, and will likely never be.

I can't knock their hustles though.

When your only real livelihood has been in the entertainment business, your options are quite limited. That is, unless you can seriously swallow your pride like Gary Coleman and work in security or former-Supreme Flo Ballard, who worked briefly in a daycare center when her music career ended. SO, I can understand why they'd try to make money by making music, getting an acting gig, live shows, or writing books. BUT, at some point they'll need to realize that very few people care about the DeBarge story.

We get it: You were all hot messes with the same story to tell. It's going to get really old really fast.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 01/11/09 8:36pm

daingermouz202
0

scriptgirl said:

I can't see any book on Debarge being a best seller and Tommy is pretty much incapacitated by the kidney disease he has, so I don't think drugs are an issue with him. when did Bunny get divorced?
Bobby's wife seems bitter and El is seperated from his wife Monique-she seems like she might have some ish to say, esp after seeing hero on TV One. I bet El's 2nd wife Tracey has some dirt to sling as well.




I'm not sure when Bunny divorced I am guessing after the ROTK album. Bobby's wife ? I;m not sure if I'd call her bitter. she seems like a straight shooter to me. she calls it like it is. I'm sure Tracy has dirt aplenty as well to tell she may be the most bitter.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 01/11/09 9:35pm

scriptgirl

avatar

Why would Tracy be the most bitter?
"Lack of home training crosses all boundaries."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 01/11/09 10:25pm

daingermouz202
0

scriptgirl said:

Why would Tracy be the most bitter?



I don't know for sure that she would be. I just think so. I could be wrong.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 01/11/09 10:27pm

scriptgirl

avatar

can you elaborate?
"Lack of home training crosses all boundaries."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 01/11/09 10:48pm

daingermouz202
0

scriptgirl said:

can you elaborate?


It's just my op. It's based on nothing. Usually when people are not interviewed or are not forthcoming is because they have nothing nice to say. eventhough the Unsung episode was pretty good I didn't learn anything that I really didn't know or had heard of already. There was nothing that shocked or surprised me.

I feel that as tragic as there story was they only touched on a little bit. I think there is alot more to there story.This is just the part they are willing to sale.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 01/11/09 10:54pm

scriptgirl

avatar

Oh yeah, there is a lot more to say. Bunny said on the Steve Harvey show that her mom is not happy with her because of her book and their relationship is now strained. Interesting.
"Lack of home training crosses all boundaries."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 01/11/09 11:01pm

daingermouz202
0

scriptgirl said:

Oh yeah, there is a lot more to say. Bunny said on the Steve Harvey show that her mom is not happy with her because of her book and their relationship is now strained. Interesting.


When was this interview. and why would the mom trip? she's written a book herself. AND WHY IS SHE USING THE NAME DEBARGE. WHY NOT HER MAIDEN NAME OR HER SECOND HUSBANDS LAST NAME? (Rodriguez I think it was or is)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 01/11/09 11:04pm

scriptgirl

avatar

The interview was last week. Actually, I think the Debarge mom has been married 3 times, but I am not sure. She wants to be famous. She has made a ghetto cottage industry of being "Mama D" as she calls herself. She has a myspace and a ministry and that book. If her kids were young in this day and age, she would be the stage mother from hell. There would be a reality show and errythang.
"Lack of home training crosses all boundaries."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 01/11/09 11:11pm

daingermouz202
0

scriptgirl said:

The interview was last week. Actually, I think the Debarge mom has been married 3 times, but I am not sure. She wants to be famous. She has made a ghetto cottage industry of being "Mama D" as she calls herself. She has a myspace and a ministry and that book. If her kids were young in this day and age, she would be the stage mother from hell. There would be a reality show and errythang.



maybe I just don't get it. I don't see why a 70 some year old would even have a myspace page. I don't even have one. I agree she does want to be famous but just having the name Debarge now seems to come with negativity.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 01/11/09 11:16pm

scriptgirl

avatar

Like I said, she wants fame. When I think Debarge, I just think great music. I don't think of negativity, although I see where you are coming from.
"Lack of home training crosses all boundaries."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 01/11/09 11:23pm

daingermouz202
0

scriptgirl said:

Like I said, she wants fame. When I think Debarge, I just think great music. I don't think of negativity, although I see where you are coming from.


perhaps negativity was a poor choice of word on my part
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 01/11/09 11:45pm

scriptgirl

avatar

I know what you mean. I think a lot of people look at the Debarges differently now because of the Vibe article and Unsung. I think people are shocked at the reality of their lives, but at the same time, I think they all agree at the high quality of the music.
"Lack of home training crosses all boundaries."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 01/12/09 12:26am

daingermouz202
0

scriptgirl said:

I know what you mean. I think a lot of people look at the Debarges differently now because of the Vibe article and Unsung. I think people are shocked at the reality of their lives, but at the same time, I think they all agree at the high quality of the music.




True. I had once heard that Bobby Debarge had recorded a solo album for motown that was shelved.I would pay top dollar for a copy.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 01/12/09 12:33am

scriptgirl

avatar

Oddly enough, I am not a huge Bobby or Switch fan. Their music sounds very dated, very late 70s.
Upon hearing of Bobby's death, Berry Gordy said Bobby was the most talented person he had ever signed
[Edited 1/12/09 0:33am]
"Lack of home training crosses all boundaries."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 01/12/09 12:50am

daingermouz202
0

scriptgirl said:

Oddly enough, I am not a huge Bobby or Switch fan. Their music sounds very dated, very late 70s.
Upon hearing of Bobby's death, Berry Gordy said Bobby was the most talented person he had ever signed
[Edited 1/12/09 0:33am]



I had heard that also...back in the day I'd say I agree I thought his vocals were awsome. But now when I hear it I don't get the same feeling and I don't know why. And now I hear El as he's gotten older and more seasoned I feel El is the most talented all around But Berry Gordy knows better than I.

It also seemed strange to me that El and Bobby never never really worked together more.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 01/12/09 7:35am

Ottensen

scriptgirl said:

Oddly enough, I am not a huge Bobby or Switch fan. Their music sounds very dated, very late 70s.
Upon hearing of Bobby's death, Berry Gordy said Bobby was the most talented person he had ever signed
[Edited 1/12/09 0:33am]



But yet you're a fan of all that El and Bunny wrote for Debarge lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 01/12/09 7:44am

scriptgirl

avatar

Debarge and Switch are 2 different entities. Bobby produced the 1st and 3rd Debarge albums.
I know that El was the only sibling not to have worked on the cd Bobby did before his death. No one knows why. I do know that I read an interview that El gave in the late 80s, early 90s when Bobby and Chico were in jail and he sounded a bit sanctimonius about their problems.
"Lack of home training crosses all boundaries."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 01/12/09 11:26am

marzellus

Okay who got or wants Bobby's motown album?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 01/12/09 11:38am

Timmy84

I preferred Bobby's voice over El's.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 01/12/09 11:43am

destinyc1

I must admit i would buy that book.Curious you guys mentioned the wives from the tvone program both very pretty.Did they both move on and get remarried?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 5 12345>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Tommy Debarge coming out with book about his family