independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 12th Dec 2018 3:32am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > General Discussion > Star Trek thread
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 12/06/18 8:58pm

kpowers

avatar

Star Trek thread

dsc-s1dvd-448x640.jpg

Just picked it up. Will watch it after I finish Star Trek Voyager

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 12/06/18 9:23pm

kpowers

avatar

Ok on season 7 of Voyager and I see a big flaw

latest?cb=20160826200434&path-prefix=en

Ok in the series opener they show a vulcan nurse who is killed when Voyager is thrown into the Delta Quadrant

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJdxF0ANyKZpemr_hycWufCAuKax-PaYPz4SMA6671L5aloajE

ok later on they introduce Vorik who suffer from Pon Farr

La_febbre_del_sangue_1a.jpg

So the doctor created a female Vulcan hologram to help him

vulcan-repression.jpg

Ok season 7 episode 4 "Repression" they show a female Vulcan who was a member of the Maquis. So why didn't Vorik hook up with her while he was going through Ponn Farr?

tumblr_inline_mv2ec7NaWh1qdziiy.jpg

3 episodes later Tuvok suffers from Ponn Farr

latest?cb=20070516004632&path-prefix=en

Once again they use a hologram and for some reason they forget there is a female Vulcan.


[Edited 12/6/18 21:27pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 12/07/18 9:03am

TrivialPursuit

Discovery is the best Star Trek series yet, by far. The level of production and storyline is what Star Trek should have always been. I cannot wait for season 2, coming in late January. My roommate and I are both huge ST fans, and we were just on the edge of our seats every time we watched an episode last year.

By the way, in October, November, December, and January, CBS is releasing Short Treks, which are 10-15 minute episodes that are stand-alone episodes and fill-in side stories and show things to come in the second season. They are released the first (sometimes second) Thursday of each month leading up to the season two premiere

The episodes for Short Treks are:

October - "Runaway"

November - "Calypso"

December - "The Brightest Star"

January - "The Escape Artist"

In 2010, when we moved and got DIRECTV, and Audience 101 (now AXSTV) was showing back to back episodes of Enterprise. I caught it from the beginning and watched the whole series in just a few weeks. It was much better than people seem to think about it. It and Voyager are on par with being the most different of the whole franchise (Discovery being the first).

About eight years ago, I wanted to watch all of Deep Space Nine and Voyager. BUT since they all took place in the same time frame, I found a list of every single Star Trek episode that listed TNG, DS9, and Voyager in chronological order. And that's how I watched them. I started in season 5 or 6 of TNG (whenever DS9 started) and mostly bounced between episodes of the three. It was very interesting to see the Federation run the Cardassians out of the space station, and how other storylines really crossed over between TNG & DS9. Eventually, TNG ran out, then DS9 ran out and it was only Voyager. But I got through DS9 and Voyager quickly. It was a fun watch.

And I know I'm in the minority here, but I just can't stand much of the original series. There, I said it.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 12/07/18 9:22am

purplethunder3
121

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:

Discovery is the best Star Trek series yet, by far. The level of production and storyline is what Star Trek should have always been. I cannot wait for season 2, coming in late January. My roommate and I are both huge ST fans, and we were just on the edge of our seats every time we watched an episode last year.

By the way, in October, November, December, and January, CBS is releasing Short Treks, which are 10-15 minute episodes that are stand-alone episodes and fill-in side stories and show things to come in the second season. They are released the first (sometimes second) Thursday of each month leading up to the season two premiere

The episodes for Short Treks are:

October - "Runaway"

November - "Calypso"

December - "The Brightest Star"

January - "The Escape Artist"

In 2010, when we moved and got DIRECTV, and Audience 101 (now AXSTV) was showing back to back episodes of Enterprise. I caught it from the beginning and watched the whole series in just a few weeks. It was much better than people seem to think about it. It and Voyager are on par with being the most different of the whole franchise (Discovery being the first).

About eight years ago, I wanted to watch all of Deep Space Nine and Voyager. BUT since they all took place in the same time frame, I found a list of every single Star Trek episode that listed TNG, DS9, and Voyager in chronological order. And that's how I watched them. I started in season 5 or 6 of TNG (whenever DS9 started) and mostly bounced between episodes of the three. It was very interesting to see the Federation run the Cardassians out of the space station, and how other storylines really crossed over between TNG & DS9. Eventually, TNG ran out, then DS9 ran out and it was only Voyager. But I got through DS9 and Voyager quickly. It was a fun watch.

And I know I'm in the minority here, but I just can't stand much of the original series. There, I said it.

eek Sacrilege! How can you be a Star Trek fan and not like the original? I started watching it when I was seven years old and still enjoy it...

Related image

"If you're living, you've got nothing left to prove..."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 12/07/18 10:36am

TrivialPursuit

purplethunder3121 said:


And I know I'm in the minority here, but I just can't stand much of the original series. There, I said it.

eek Sacrilege! How can you be a Star Trek fan and not like the original? I started watching it when I was seven years old and still enjoy it...


I just can't watch it. Sure, there are cute little moments with Bones & Spock, or McCoy & Spock, but it's just cheesy and cringe-worthy a lot of times. I was never a fan of TOS. My dad watched it religiously when I was a kid and it drove us all nuts. He dragged us to The Motion Picture and we were bored out of our skulls. I didn't care about the movies either. I didn't watch TNG when it came on, until about season 3 or 4. A friend got me watching it (she has always loved the franchise). I really liked it, and watched it front to back when it was originally airing. I've seen all the movies and have favorites. But TOS just isn't that great, for me.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 12/07/18 10:47am

onlyforaminute

I've still not seen Discovery. I just don't feel compelled to even make the effort. I'll eventually get around to it I know. Maybe I'll get the blu-ray or whatever for Christmas. I was hooked on TOS way back when so I'm perfectly happy with the ole skool stuff.

"You want to know your biggest fault? You don’t keep true accounts: you put a high value on what you’ve given, a low value on what you’ve received."

- Seneca, On Anger 3.31.3
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 12/07/18 10:49am

TrivialPursuit

onlyforaminute said:

I've still not seen Discovery. I just don't feel compelled to even make the effort. I'll eventually get around to it I know. Maybe I'll get the blu-ray or whatever for Christmas. I was hooked on TOS way back when so I'm perfectly happy with the ole skool stuff.


For us, we kept saying how Discovery felt like a movie every week. It's that good. Marathoning it would probably enhance that feeling, too. If you are a ST fan, watch it.

PS for anyone who hasn't seen it. There is a lot of Klingon talk in the first couple/three episodes so if you're lifting it from a torrent or whatever, make sure it has subtitles. You'll need them.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 12/07/18 11:43am

onlyforaminute

TrivialPursuit said:

onlyforaminute said:

I've still not seen Discovery. I just don't feel compelled to even make the effort. I'll eventually get around to it I know. Maybe I'll get the blu-ray or whatever for Christmas. I was hooked on TOS way back when so I'm perfectly happy with the ole skool stuff.


For us, we kept saying how Discovery felt like a movie every week. It's that good. Marathoning it would probably enhance that feeling, too. If you are a ST fan, watch it.

PS for anyone who hasn't seen it. There is a lot of Klingon talk in the first couple/three episodes so if you're lifting it from a torrent or whatever, make sure it has subtitles. You'll need them.



But you've just stated you are not TOS fan. It bored you, where as it excited me. I can see how maybe this show may really appeal to you. And maybe down the road it'll appeal to me. But I know if I wanna see ST then I wanna see specifically ST with all it mythology and whatnot intact. If I just want to see space faring scifi futuristic earth drama then I'd prefer to look at completely new concepts and ideas like The Expanse, now that has more of my attention granted it isn't getting the fanfare or funding DSC is.

"You want to know your biggest fault? You don’t keep true accounts: you put a high value on what you’ve given, a low value on what you’ve received."

- Seneca, On Anger 3.31.3
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 12/07/18 11:49am

kpowers

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:

Discovery is the best Star Trek series yet, by far. The level of production and storyline is what Star Trek should have always been. I cannot wait for season 2, coming in late January. My roommate and I are both huge ST fans, and we were just on the edge of our seats every time we watched an episode last year.

By the way, in October, November, December, and January, CBS is releasing Short Treks, which are 10-15 minute episodes that are stand-alone episodes and fill-in side stories and show things to come in the second season. They are released the first (sometimes second) Thursday of each month leading up to the season two premiere

The episodes for Short Treks are:

October - "Runaway"

November - "Calypso"

December - "The Brightest Star"

January - "The Escape Artist"

In 2010, when we moved and got DIRECTV, and Audience 101 (now AXSTV) was showing back to back episodes of Enterprise. I caught it from the beginning and watched the whole series in just a few weeks. It was much better than people seem to think about it. It and Voyager are on par with being the most different of the whole franchise (Discovery being the first).

About eight years ago, I wanted to watch all of Deep Space Nine and Voyager. BUT since they all took place in the same time frame, I found a list of every single Star Trek episode that listed TNG, DS9, and Voyager in chronological order. And that's how I watched them. I started in season 5 or 6 of TNG (whenever DS9 started) and mostly bounced between episodes of the three. It was very interesting to see the Federation run the Cardassians out of the space station, and how other storylines really crossed over between TNG & DS9. Eventually, TNG ran out, then DS9 ran out and it was only Voyager. But I got through DS9 and Voyager quickly. It was a fun watch.

And I know I'm in the minority here, but I just can't stand much of the original series. There, I said it.

Those shorts better be included on season 2 DVD. Haven't seen it yet, not buying into CBS Access. Also no mention of Enterprise from you???

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 12/07/18 1:26pm

TrivialPursuit

onlyforaminute said:


But you've just stated you are not TOS fan. It bored you, where as it excited me. I can see how maybe this show may really appeal to you. And maybe down the road it'll appeal to me. But I know if I wanna see ST then I wanna see specifically ST with all it mythology and whatnot intact. If I just want to see space faring scifi futuristic earth drama then I'd prefer to look at completely new concepts and ideas like The Expanse, now that has more of my attention granted it isn't getting the fanfare or funding DSC is.


Well, you've not seen Discovery, if I am understanding your replies correctly. I have seen TOS. I guess I've mostly enjoyed all the ST franchise. But, I would take TOS over The Motion Picture in a hot damn second! That movie was horrid, and TOS rises above it 10x over (which perhaps is an odd statement since TMP was originally going to be a reboot of sorts of TOS, then it changed into a movie).

And all the mythology etc is intact on Discovery. It's ST, after all. haha I do think that when folks watch the first two episodes, they'll get hooked. I won't spoil anything, but it's hook-y. It gets ya.

Klingons are nasty folks. I've never seen them displayed as warriors so intently as they are in this series. (Although they were shifty in some of the TOS movies.)

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 12/07/18 2:06pm

onlyforaminute

TrivialPursuit said:

onlyforaminute said:


But you've just stated you are not TOS fan. It bored you, where as it excited me. I can see how maybe this show may really appeal to you. And maybe down the road it'll appeal to me. But I know if I wanna see ST then I wanna see specifically ST with all it mythology and whatnot intact. If I just want to see space faring scifi futuristic earth drama then I'd prefer to look at completely new concepts and ideas like The Expanse, now that has more of my attention granted it isn't getting the fanfare or funding DSC is.


Well, you've not seen Discovery, if I am understanding your replies correctly. I have seen TOS. I guess I've mostly enjoyed all the ST franchise. But, I would take TOS over The Motion Picture in a hot damn second! That movie was horrid, and TOS rises above it 10x over (which perhaps is an odd statement since TMP was originally going to be a reboot of sorts of TOS, then it changed into a movie).

And all the mythology etc is intact on Discovery. It's ST, after all. haha I do think that when folks watch the first two episodes, they'll get hooked. I won't spoil anything, but it's hook-y. It gets ya.

Klingons are nasty folks. I've never seen them displayed as warriors so intently as they are in this series. (Although they were shifty in some of the TOS movies.)



Fair enough, but given the TOS is the template for the entire genre, it seems bizarre that the original is boring but it's last spinoff is great with absolutely no true mention of all the other renditions inbetween. I'm relying more on those who loved the original as I did to convince me it's worth the effort.

"You want to know your biggest fault? You don’t keep true accounts: you put a high value on what you’ve given, a low value on what you’ve received."

- Seneca, On Anger 3.31.3
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 12/10/18 6:14pm

onlyforaminute

kpowers said:

Ok on season 7 of Voyager and I see a big flaw

latest?cb=20160826200434&path-prefix=en

Ok in the series opener they show a vulcan nurse who is killed when Voyager is thrown into the Delta Quadrant

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJdxF0ANyKZpemr_hycWufCAuKax-PaYPz4SMA6671L5aloajE

ok later on they introduce Vorik who suffer from Pon Farr

La_febbre_del_sangue_1a.jpg

So the doctor created a female Vulcan hologram to help him

vulcan-repression.jpg

Ok season 7 episode 4 "Repression" they show a female Vulcan who was a member of the Maquis. So why didn't Vorik hook up with her while he was going through Ponn Farr?

tumblr_inline_mv2ec7NaWh1qdziiy.jpg

3 episodes later Tuvok suffers from Ponn Farr

latest?cb=20070516004632&path-prefix=en

Once again they use a hologram and for some reason they forget there is a female Vulcan.


[Edited 12/6/18 21:27pm]



It's Star Trek. They change their minds all the time.


But I guess the cover is that if one notes that it is during a Pon Farr that Vulcans tend to choose to marry I would guess the mating ritual during that time is so serious that only a hologram would not create an "emotional" conflict when it passes.

"You want to know your biggest fault? You don’t keep true accounts: you put a high value on what you’ve given, a low value on what you’ve received."

- Seneca, On Anger 3.31.3
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 12/11/18 1:04am

kpowers

avatar

onlyforaminute said:

kpowers said:

Ok on season 7 of Voyager and I see a big flaw

latest?cb=20160826200434&path-prefix=en

Ok in the series opener they show a vulcan nurse who is killed when Voyager is thrown into the Delta Quadrant

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJdxF0ANyKZpemr_hycWufCAuKax-PaYPz4SMA6671L5aloajE

ok later on they introduce Vorik who suffer from Pon Farr

La_febbre_del_sangue_1a.jpg

So the doctor created a female Vulcan hologram to help him

vulcan-repression.jpg

Ok season 7 episode 4 "Repression" they show a female Vulcan who was a member of the Maquis. So why didn't Vorik hook up with her while he was going through Ponn Farr?

tumblr_inline_mv2ec7NaWh1qdziiy.jpg

3 episodes later Tuvok suffers from Ponn Farr

latest?cb=20070516004632&path-prefix=en

Once again they use a hologram and for some reason they forget there is a female Vulcan.


[Edited 12/6/18 21:27pm]



It's Star Trek. They change their minds all the time.


But I guess the cover is that if one notes that it is during a Pon Farr that Vulcans tend to choose to marry I would guess the mating ritual during that time is so serious that only a hologram would not create an "emotional" conflict when it passes.

But they said Voyager had no female Vulcans so that is why they used holograms

vulcan-repression.jpg

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 12/11/18 8:55am

TrivialPursuit

onlyforaminute said:

It's Star Trek. They change their minds all the time.


Do folks forget that they retold mostly the Wrath of Kahn story but with Kirk dying, in Into Darkness? How many times has Spock died? Even that hack Denise Crosby came back after bitching about her part and leaving the show. (I never understood why people lambasted Wil Wheaton when Crosby's character & attitude was way worse; how can you go after a kid and let the adult get a pass on bad acting or weak storylines, the latter of which is no the actor's fault?)

I suppose it's part of the real lore and the template for almost any sci-fi projects. It's a world we're not in so anything could happen.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 12/11/18 12:07pm

kpowers

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:

onlyforaminute said:

It's Star Trek. They change their minds all the time.


Do folks forget that they retold mostly the Wrath of Kahn story but with Kirk dying, in Into Darkness? How many times has Spock died? Even that hack Denise Crosby came back after bitching about her part and leaving the show. (I never understood why people lambasted Wil Wheaton when Crosby's character & attitude was way worse; how can you go after a kid and let the adult get a pass on bad acting or weak storylines, the latter of which is no the actor's fault?)

I suppose it's part of the real lore and the template for almost any sci-fi projects. It's a world we're not in so anything could happen.

JJ "let's blow up Vulcan" does not count. All those stuff you mention are not flaws.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 12/11/18 12:13pm

kpowers

avatar

Image result for picard shut up wesley gif

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 12/11/18 12:17pm

onlyforaminute

kpowers said:

onlyforaminute said:



It's Star Trek. They change their minds all the time.


But I guess the cover is that if one notes that it is during a Pon Farr that Vulcans tend to choose to marry I would guess the mating ritual during that time is so serious that only a hologram would not create an "emotional" conflict when it passes.

But they said Voyager had no female Vulcans so that is why they used holograms

vulcan-repression.jpg



They dropped the ball on that one. The just should have stated only with a mated Vulcan or a willing Vulcan. The Pon Farr is an interesting concept but it sure complicates things. There was another complication with T'Pol on Enterprise, she went through it too I understand.

"You want to know your biggest fault? You don’t keep true accounts: you put a high value on what you’ve given, a low value on what you’ve received."

- Seneca, On Anger 3.31.3
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 12/11/18 12:39pm

kpowers

avatar

onlyforaminute said:

kpowers said:

But they said Voyager had no female Vulcans so that is why they used holograms

vulcan-repression.jpg



They dropped the ball on that one. The just should have stated only with a mated Vulcan or a willing Vulcan. The Pon Farr is an interesting concept but it sure complicates things. There was another complication with T'Pol on Enterprise, she went through it too I understand.

Yeah but I think any Vulcan would do the Ponn Farr so no one wouldn't suffer, it's the logical thing to do. Yeah kinda forget T'Pol situation but at least she was still in the Alpha Quadrant

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 12/11/18 10:30pm

Hudson

avatar

CBS’s new “Star Trek” series, with Patrick Stewart reprising the role of Capt. Jean-Luc Picard, will shoot in California and receive a $15.6 million production tax credit.

The California Film Commission announced Monday that the untitled “Star Trek” series and eight other TV series have been selected for the latest tax credit allocations totaling $90 million under the state’s expanded Film & TV Tax Credit Program 2.0.

The other eight projects include two new series — Cooler Waters Prods.’ “Flowers of Helvetica” with a $12 million allocation and CBS’s “Why Women Kill” with an $8.5 million credit. The latter comes from Marc Cherry of “Desperate Housewives” and is described as a darkly comedic drama focused on the lives of three women living in three different decades.


Six recurring series already in the tax credit program and picked up for another season of in-state production have also been set for allocations — Fox’s third season of “The Orville” with $15.8 million, CBS’s second season of “Strange Angel” with $10 million, Fox’s ninth season of “American Horror Story” ($8.9 million), and the second seasons of “Mayans MC” ($7.6 million), “Good Trouble” ($6.6 million) and “The Rookie” ($4.5 million).



The commission said the nine projects are on track to spend nearly $456 million in qualified expenditures (defined as wages paid to below-the-line workers and payments to in-state vendors). They will employ an estimated 1,820 cast members, 2,140 crew, and 25,000 extras/stand-ins over a combined 916 shoot days.

CBS announced in August that Stewart would star in the “Star Trek” series. The commission noted Monday that California-based production of the new “Star Trek” represents a homecoming for the TV franchise, which has focused recent production in Toronto.

“Our TV tax credits are in high demand, so we’re pleased to have ample credits available now to bring these three large-scale series to California,” said California Film Commission executive director Amy Lemisch. “So many producers tell us that California is their first choice because no other locale can match what we have to offer, including the ability leave the set and go home each night.”

In addition to the nine TV series announced Monday, the commission said there are 21 recurring TV series in various stages of production currently in the program and eligible for tax credits. Since the launch of the expanded tax credit in 2015, a total of 61 television projects — including new TV series, pilots, MOWs, miniseries and relocating TV series — have been selected for tax credits.

The commission reported on Nov. 2 that California’s expanded production tax incentive program has resulted in nearly $6 billion in in-state spending over the past three years, generated from $815 million in tax credits. California’s credit covers up to 25% of in-state production costs, which is not as lucrative as other locations, but is aimed at putting the brakes on runaway production and luring projects to the Golden State.


In July, California Gov. Jerry Brown signed an extension of California’s production tax credit program for five years beyond its 2020 expiration with $1.6 billion in credits. The program was more than tripled in size in 2014 to $330 million annually to compete effectively with incentives in New York and Georgia. The program is overseen by the state’s film commission, which selects the TV and movie projects to qualify partly based on the number of jobs created.

The commission announced in July that NBC’s sitcom “Good Girls” and Horizon Scripted Television’s “You” were relocating to California for their upcoming seasons and have been conditionally approved to receive a combined $15.4 million in tax credits. A total of 15 series have relocated to the Golden State, thanks to the incentive, including Amazon’s “Sneaky Pete,” FX’s “Legion,” and HBO’s “Ballers.”

Feature films covered under the program include Disney’s upcoming “Captain Marvel,” Paramount’s “Transformers” spinoff “Bumblebee” and Warner Bros. “Space Jam 2,” starring LeBron James and Bugs Bunny.

https://variety.com/2018/...203085282/
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > General Discussion > Star Trek thread