independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 14th Nov 2018 4:12pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > General Discussion > Rate The Last Movie You Watched
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #90 posted 06/21/18 1:57am

DaveT

avatar

EmmaMcG said:

DaveT said:

Hereditary (2018)

Don't believe the hype. Its not a bad movie, but nowhere near the masterpiece the reviewers have been claiming it is.

Its too long ... 2hrs 7mins ... should have been trimmed by at least 20mins. Some scenes, such as Annie trying to convince Steve to throw the book in the fire, dragged needlessly.

There's not a lot of sympathy for the main characters ... none of them come across as likeable so you're not invested in their fate.

Some of the scares are old hat ... the standard 'something standing in the shadows' stuff used in a lot of Insidious style modern horrors ... a hangover from the J-horror stuff of the 90s. Fair few other horror cliches in there to, such as all devil worshippers/witches have to be old, wrinkly and nude! I'm ok with a horror film riffing on past tropes, but only if its done well.

The 'twist' is fairly predictable. The main character involved drops a line about 45mins in that, for me at least, gave the twist away.

Plot is a bit schizo ... is it grounded in reality a la Rosemary's Baby, or is it more supernatural/surreal, hence the floating headless bodies? It tries to be both but doesn't quite achieve either.

Having said all that, there's some very good set pieces in it. Charlie and Peter's drive to the hospital was great and I didn't see that scene/twist coming. Some great images to, such as the neck sawing at the end and the discovery of Charlie in the car.

Overall 6/10



[Edited 6/20/18 2:55am]

This pretty much sums up my feelings perfectly. I'm sorry, I don't have anything else to add, which renders my post pointless biggrin


lol ... thank you for the compliment though ... a nice reply is never pointless biggrin

www.filmsfilmsfilms.co.uk - The internet's best movie site!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #91 posted 06/21/18 2:05am

DaveT

avatar

Ace said:

poster1.jpg


Closer


I never tire of this film.

All of the performances are stellar.

I'd previously thought Julia Roberts to be an average actor (my only exposure to her had been Pretty Woman, The Player, Everyone Says I Love You, and a shitload of trailers), but what she does here blew my mind. And Natalie Portman was only 22 when this was shot? The way she plays knowingness in the exhibit opening and the strip club scenes? Again - mind blown. For me, Law's the weakest link (I thought his choices were wrong in the scene where he confronts Owen in the latter's office - but, then again, that might've been Nichols' direction), but he's still pretty fucking damn good.

This should've won Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor (Owen), Best Actress (Roberts), Best Supporting Actress (Portman) and Best Adapted Screenplay. Maybe even Best Editing and Best Cinematography, too.


My experience has been that this movie is incredibly polarizing. The realists (to my mind, anyway) love it; romantics loathe it. As I consider myself a realist razz, I rate it as follows:

starstarstarstarstar


I haven't seen this in ages but I remember the argument scene between Owen and Roberts being both hilarious and excrutiating (in a good) ... "Thank you for your honesty. Now fuck off and die you fucked up slag" biggrin

[Edited 6/21/18 2:05am]

www.filmsfilmsfilms.co.uk - The internet's best movie site!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #92 posted 06/21/18 6:56am

Ace

avatar

RodeoSchro said:

sexton said:



2 Days in Paris (2007) - Marion and Jack try to rekindle their relationship with a visit to Paris, home of Marion's parents -- and several of her ex-boyfriends.

I remember liking this a lot the first time around, but a few minutes in, the annoying characters had me second-guessing myself. However, as the film played on, the hilarity and bittersweet ending reminded me of its appeal. Also, I love Julie Delpy. 4/5




I'm giving this movie 2.5 pre-viewing stars just because on the poster, the names of the stars are actually right above the star so named.


lol

"Acceptance, forgiveness, and love."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #93 posted 06/21/18 7:01am

Ace

avatar

DaveT said:

Ace said:

poster1.jpg


Closer


I never tire of this film.

All of the performances are stellar.

I'd previously thought Julia Roberts to be an average actor (my only exposure to her had been Pretty Woman, The Player, Everyone Says I Love You, and a shitload of trailers), but what she does here blew my mind. And Natalie Portman was only 22 when this was shot? The way she plays knowingness in the exhibit opening and the strip club scenes? Again - mind blown. For me, Law's the weakest link (I thought his choices were wrong in the scene where he confronts Owen in the latter's office - but, then again, that might've been Nichols' direction), but he's still pretty fucking damn good.

This should've won Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor (Owen), Best Actress (Roberts), Best Supporting Actress (Portman) and Best Adapted Screenplay. Maybe even Best Editing and Best Cinematography, too.


My experience has been that this movie is incredibly polarizing. The realists (to my mind, anyway) love it; romantics loathe it. As I consider myself a realist razz, I rate it as follows:

starstarstarstarstar


I haven't seen this in ages but I remember the argument scene between Owen and Roberts being both hilarious and excrutiating (in a good) ... "Thank you for your honesty. Now fuck off and die you fucked up slag" biggrin


Interesting. I might describe that scene as "excruciating", but didn't find it funny. I think this part of the picture is Roberts' best work.

"Acceptance, forgiveness, and love."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #94 posted 06/21/18 7:18am

DaveT

avatar

Ace said:

DaveT said:


I haven't seen this in ages but I remember the argument scene between Owen and Roberts being both hilarious and excrutiating (in a good) ... "Thank you for your honesty. Now fuck off and die you fucked up slag" biggrin


Interesting. I might describe that scene as "excruciating", but didn't find it funny. I think this part of the picture is Roberts' best work.


Really? You didn't find Clive Owen's fantastic swearing and over-the-top-ness just a little funny? ... "'cos I'm a fucking caveman!" lol

I did find the script in this film a bit contrived. The dialogue exchanges weren't particularly realistic at times ... the characters always had the perfect riposte on the end of their tongue ready to go. In reality these exchanges wouldn't have been like that. Good film though if you can get past that.

www.filmsfilmsfilms.co.uk - The internet's best movie site!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #95 posted 06/21/18 7:22am

Ace

avatar

DaveT said:

Ace said:


Interesting. I might describe that scene as "excruciating", but didn't find it funny. I think this part of the picture is Roberts' best work.


Really? You didn't find Clive Owen's fantastic swearing and over-the-top-ness just a little funny? ... "'cos I'm a fucking caveman!" lol

Not really. boxed

I did find the script in this film a bit contrived. The dialogue exchanges weren't particularly realistic at times ... the characters always had the perfect riposte on the end of their tongue ready to go. In reality these exchanges wouldn't have been like that.


How many films could you not say that about, though?

Good film though if you can get past that.

"Acceptance, forgiveness, and love."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #96 posted 06/21/18 7:24am

Ace

avatar

DaveT said:

Ace said:


Interesting. I might describe that scene as "excruciating", but didn't find it funny. I think this part of the picture is Roberts' best work.


Really? You didn't find Clive Owen's fantastic swearing and over-the-top-ness just a little funny?


The only part I recall laughing at was Julia Roberts' reaction when Owen says, "I've got the coat. The white coat?" lol

"Acceptance, forgiveness, and love."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #97 posted 06/21/18 5:50pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

Ace said:

DaveT said:


Really? You didn't find Clive Owen's fantastic swearing and over-the-top-ness just a little funny?


The only part I recall laughing at was Julia Roberts' reaction when Owen says, "I've got the coat. The white coat?" lol


woot! Ace! hug

220px-Drugstore_Cowboy.png

Watched this the other night for the first time in a long time. What a great film. And you notice little things that you never noticed before - so good!


[Edited 6/21/18 17:51pm]

"'Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.'' - Thomas Jefferson
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #98 posted 06/21/18 5:58pm

Ace

avatar

DiminutiveRocker said:

Ace said:


The only part I recall laughing at was Julia Roberts' reaction when Owen says, "I've got the coat. The white coat?" lol


woot! Ace! hug

220px-Drugstore_Cowboy.png

Watched this the other night for the first time in a long time. What a great film. And you notice little things that you never noticed before - so good!


DR! hug

As you know, DC is another one of my favorite films! Love, love, LOVE that movie!!!

"Acceptance, forgiveness, and love."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #99 posted 06/22/18 2:13am

DaveT

avatar

Ace said:

DaveT said:


How many films could you not say that about, though?

Good film though if you can get past that.

Blimey, where to start! ... its a long list. Pretty much anything by Mike Leigh, that'll do for starters ...

Take your point though, that a lot of mainstream or 'popcorn' films are similarly contrived, but then most of them are striving for realism like Closer was trying to.

www.filmsfilmsfilms.co.uk - The internet's best movie site!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #100 posted 06/22/18 7:43am

Ace

avatar

DaveT said:

Ace said:

Blimey, where to start! ... its a long list. Pretty much anything by Mike Leigh, that'll do for starters ...

Take your point though, that a lot of mainstream or 'popcorn' films are similarly contrived, but then most of them are striving for realism like Closer was trying to.


Well, Leigh's scripts are taken from actor improvs, so - yeah - they're going to be more naturalistic.

Have you ever watched a film with true improvised dialogue? I tried to watch Soderbergh's The Girlfriend Experience and I couldn't make it through more than a few minutes. I was like, 'This is boring as fuck.' lol

"Acceptance, forgiveness, and love."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #101 posted 06/22/18 11:42am

ufoclub

avatar



gentle POWER

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #102 posted 06/22/18 11:49am

sexton

avatar

The Incredibles 2 (2018)

The first movie was real magic. This one was just very good. 4/5

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #103 posted 06/22/18 7:52pm

Hamad

avatar

ufoclub said:




gentle POWER



Huge fan of the first documentary, I’ll definitely watch this one
Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #104 posted 06/22/18 8:58pm

ufoclub

avatar


Saw First Reformed... its like a formal, sequential illustration panel, 4:3 ratio, midlife/current events crisis, slow motion, alcohol depressed, meditative, nightmare resurrection of Taxi Driver... but in the outskirts of small town / suburbia where meals are eaten four to a cramped restaurant booth, and churches get bigger and more carpeted than corporations.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #105 posted 06/23/18 7:23am

peedub

avatar

ufoclub said:


Saw First Reformed... its like a formal, sequential illustration panel, 4:3 ratio, midlife/current events crisis, slow motion, alcohol depressed, meditative, nightmare resurrection of Taxi Driver... but in the outskirts of small town / suburbia where meals are eaten four to a cramped restaurant booth, and churches get bigger and more carpeted than corporations.



i've been slowly working my way through paul schrader's filmography over the last couple of years. i like the way he illustrates the human condition, and the aspects of it he chooses to explore; little underdog quirks, events, realizations and/or decisions with huge consequences. i'll probably get this one from the library once it's available. i'm not the biggest fan of ethan hawke...he's never really convinced me that he's NOT ethan hawke. i suppose he probably doesn't ruin it, though.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #106 posted 06/25/18 11:43am

namepeace

Somewhere In The Middle (2015)


Intersecting NYC-set romantic drama featuring some good performances from talented actresses Cassandra Freeman, Marisol Miranda and Louisa Ward.

starstarstar

Good night, sweet Prince | 7 June 1958 - 21 April 2016

Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #107 posted 06/26/18 8:13am

JoeBala

Image result for before i fall movie poster

Didn't have high expectations on this one, but it sure did surprise me how well it was constructed along with a good cast. B+

Just Music-No Categories-Enjoy It!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #108 posted 06/26/18 11:28pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

Ocean’s 8 1-10

Love Sandra Bullock, but boy does this feel like it came out a 90’s sock drawer all crinkled and crunched up like nobody cared.
Crooked Donnie. Lock him up!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #109 posted 06/27/18 12:40am

EmmaMcG

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

Ocean’s 8 1-10

Love Sandra Bullock, but boy does this feel like it came out a 90’s sock drawer all crinkled and crunched up like nobody cared.


I haven't seen this yet but I want to. Although, having said that, I'm not expecting much from it. I have the same feeling about this that I had about the Ghostbusters remake. It seems like the only reason this movie is being made is because of the female cast. It doesn't seem like the story has been the priority but rather, the priority is for the studio executives to pat themselves on the back and say "Look everyone, we're doing a movie with an all female cast". For that reason, I'm apprehensive but as a big fan on the Clooney trilogy, I'm hoping it will be at least passable.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #110 posted 06/27/18 7:59am

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

EmmaMcG said:

Ugot2shakesumthin said:
Ocean’s 8 1-10 Love Sandra Bullock, but boy does this feel like it came out a 90’s sock drawer all crinkled and crunched up like nobody cared.
I haven't seen this yet but I want to. Although, having said that, I'm not expecting much from it. I have the same feeling about this that I had about the Ghostbusters remake. It seems like the only reason this movie is being made is because of the female cast. It doesn't seem like the story has been the priority but rather, the priority is for the studio executives to pat themselves on the back and say "Look everyone, we're doing a movie with an all female cast". For that reason, I'm apprehensive but as a big fan on the Clooney trilogy, I'm hoping it will be at least passable.

The cast was great. But the story and direction are cookie cutter and barely competent.

Crooked Donnie. Lock him up!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #111 posted 06/27/18 8:25am

EmmaMcG

Ugot2shakesumthin said:



EmmaMcG said:


Ugot2shakesumthin said:
Ocean’s 8 1-10 Love Sandra Bullock, but boy does this feel like it came out a 90’s sock drawer all crinkled and crunched up like nobody cared.

I haven't seen this yet but I want to. Although, having said that, I'm not expecting much from it. I have the same feeling about this that I had about the Ghostbusters remake. It seems like the only reason this movie is being made is because of the female cast. It doesn't seem like the story has been the priority but rather, the priority is for the studio executives to pat themselves on the back and say "Look everyone, we're doing a movie with an all female cast". For that reason, I'm apprehensive but as a big fan on the Clooney trilogy, I'm hoping it will be at least passable.


The cast was great. But the story and direction are cookie cutter and barely competent.



That was my fear. Instead of focusing on doing a movie featuring a female cast, they should have just concentrated on writing a good movie and IF the particular story they came up with just so happens to work better with women, then by all means bring in Sandra Bullock and co. I hate when Hollywood tries to force "diversity" into movies. Just let it happen naturally and there's a bigger chance of success. Doing it like the recent Ghostbusters travesty just hurts whatever cause you're trying to promote.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #112 posted 06/27/18 9:16am

PurpleJedi

avatar




rolleyes

I don't know what to say.

It started off very interesting.

The plot thickened a bit.

Then it's like someone popped a balloon.

I am confused.

shrug

By St. Boogar and all the saints at the backside door of Purgatory!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #113 posted 06/27/18 9:25am

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

PurpleJedi said:




rolleyes

I don't know what to say.

It started off very interesting.

The plot thickened a bit.

Then it's like someone popped a balloon.

I am confused.

shrug

"well-intentioned" but came off so out of touch and inadvertently came off opposite of what it portends to champion. Awful on a lot of levels.

Crooked Donnie. Lock him up!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #114 posted 06/27/18 4:05pm

SPYZFAN1

"The Tale" (2018).....HBO Film. Laura Dern plays a journalist/professor who is successful, but has a dark past. When she was 12 years old, she was in (or what she thought) a consensual relationship with a camp counselor (played by Jason Ritter) who was 35 years old...She then realizes that she was being sexually molested by him....The first half of the movie starts slow, but the second half picks up and is brutal to watch..This is when she starts having flashbacks of their sexual encounters...The film has already been nominated for a Golden Globe......I give it a 8 out of a 10.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #115 posted 06/29/18 1:31pm

ufoclub

avatar

SPYZFAN1 said:

"The Tale" (2018).....HBO Film. Laura Dern plays a journalist/professor who is successful, but has a dark past. When she was 12 years old, she was in (or what she thought) a consensual relationship with a camp counselor (played by Jason Ritter) who was 35 years old...She then realizes that she was being sexually molested by him....The first half of the movie starts slow, but the second half picks up and is brutal to watch..This is when she starts having flashbacks of their sexual encounters...The film has already been nominated for a Golden Globe......I give it a 8 out of a 10.

Common is so out of place in this with his poor acting. I don't understand why he was cast with these other hard core actors.

[Edited 6/30/18 12:01pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #116 posted 06/29/18 5:34pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

Incredibles 2 9/10

Great movie, super charming, amazing art direction and really smart. Ii noticed that the dialog for this "children's movie" was at a higher adult level than most mainstream movies aimed at people over 25

Crooked Donnie. Lock him up!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #117 posted 06/30/18 3:27pm

RodeoSchro

avatar

I just finished a totally unplanned Parker-a-plooza.

First, I went to the library and checked out the only Parker novel they have - "Comeback". Oh, wait - you don't know who Parker is? And you don't know why I'm talking about a book in a movie thread?

Well - this is your lucky day!

Parker is a character created by Richard Stark, the pen name for famous Hollywood screenwriter/famous author Donald E. Westlake. For some reason, Westlake created the Stark pen name in order to create Parker.

Parker is my favorite character of all time.

He's a crook.

He's a really, really, REALLY bad crook.

He is AWESOME.

There is no one else in literature that I know of like Parker. Complete and I mean COMPLETE no-nonsense criminal. You're lucky if Parker says 100 words in a novel. He is a laser-focused crook. He steals money. That's what he does; that's who he is; that's all he will talk about. Ever.

Sometimes he and his ever-changing gang are successful; other times not. But you can be guaranteed of two things: (1) Parker will kick a lot of ass; and (2) no one will ever kick Parker's ass.

I highly recommend reading any and every Parker novel you can find. But be forewarned - they're harder to find than a brain cell at a Donald Trump rally.

So I settled in to begin "Comeback" yesterday and got about 2/3 of the way through it when what should come on the TV but "Payback". That's the Mel Gibson movie in which he plays a crook named Porter who has some money stolen from him by another crook. Porter spends the whole movie laying waste to various crooks whilst trying to recover the money stolen from him.

Of course, "Porter" is Parker. "Payback" was based on the first Parker novel. I don't know why they changed the name of the criminal to "Porter". But they did.

Mel Gibson is passable as Porter/Parker. He talks too much, and gets beat up. The real Parker would never get beat up or let someone get the drop on him or talk very much. But still, it's a good movie.

This afternoon, after watching Uruguay beat Portugal in the World Cup (my family got tired of me screaming "diving ponce!" whenever Ronaldo had the ball), guess what came on?

"Parker"!

This is the Jason Statham movie that is based on another of the Parker novels. Statham is a good Parker too, but he also talks way too much. And he gets beat up but at least in this movie, he still wins that fight.

I've reviewed both "Payback" and "Parker" before so unless someone just has to know what I said, I'll quit now.

That's all your Parker news for today!

.

[Edited 6/30/18 15:28pm]

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's paladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #118 posted 07/01/18 5:02am

gandorb

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

Incredibles 2 9/10

Great movie, super charming, amazing art direction and really smart. Ii noticed that the dialog for this "children's movie" was at a higher adult level than most mainstream movies aimed at people over 25

I just saw it yesterday as well. I actully liked it about as well as the first one, which is rare for me. It was funny, well-paced, and for all ages. 8.5 of 10.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #119 posted 07/01/18 3:56pm

damosuzuki

avatar

peedub said:

ufoclub said:


Saw First Reformed... its like a formal, sequential illustration panel, 4:3 ratio, midlife/current events crisis, slow motion, alcohol depressed, meditative, nightmare resurrection of Taxi Driver... but in the outskirts of small town / suburbia where meals are eaten four to a cramped restaurant booth, and churches get bigger and more carpeted than corporations.



i've been slowly working my way through paul schrader's filmography over the last couple of years. i like the way he illustrates the human condition, and the aspects of it he chooses to explore; little underdog quirks, events, realizations and/or decisions with huge consequences. i'll probably get this one from the library once it's available. i'm not the biggest fan of ethan hawke...he's never really convinced me that he's NOT ethan hawke. i suppose he probably doesn't ruin it, though.

i caught first reformed this afternoon, and would highly recommend it. i've always been a bit on the fence on hawke as well, but i thought he was 100% convincing & compelling here. i won't say anything further except to say there is definitely an undercurrent of taxi driver running through this, but not in an immediately obvious way. i think this is best watched as blindly as possible, & if it's playing in your region, i'd definitely say it's worth taking the time to see it. 4/5

[Edited 7/1/18 16:18pm]

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."

http://www.thelifeyoucansave.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > General Discussion > Rate The Last Movie You Watched