independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 16th Oct 2017 5:15pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > General Discussion > Rate The Last Movie You Watched
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 05/15/17 7:07pm

sexton

avatar

Rate The Last Movie You Watched


GotG_Vol2_poster.jpg

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - Set to the backdrop of Awesome Mixtape #2, 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' continues the team's adventures as they unravel the mystery of Peter Quill's true parentage.

I was used to the humor this time around. I went in expecting the movie to be a big comedy and that's what I got. The story was weaker than in the first film though and I didn't get the feel that it was part of something larger like many of the other Marvel Cinematic Universe movies. 3.5/5

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 05/16/17 11:08am

logger

Mindhorn 6 / 10

Had heard great things about this and I love The Mighty Boosh but this was only ok. Disappointed

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 05/16/17 11:32am

Dasein

The Last Samurai

star star star star star out of star star star star star

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 05/17/17 2:26pm

Ace

avatar

sexton said:


GotG_Vol2_poster.jpg

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - Set to the backdrop of Awesome Mixtape #2, 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' continues the team's adventures as they unravel the mystery of Peter Quill's true parentage.

I was used to the humor this time around. I went in expecting the movie to be a big comedy and that's what I got. The story was weaker than in the first film though and I didn't get the feel that it was part of something larger like many of the other Marvel Cinematic Universe movies. 3.5/5


You left out the most important part: How was Richard Christy's cameo? biggrin

"Only his writing was calm. His writing which - in more ways than one - had saved his life."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 05/17/17 4:17pm

damosuzuki

avatar

Elle 4/5 almost a mystery movie, in the sense that you're never given a complete understanding of why the main character did the things she did & behaved the way she behaved. there are possibilities, some presented in the movie, some that i'd say are never discussed. sometimes that lack of precision can be a distraction or annoyance for me, but it never felt that way here, because the movie was so focused & interesting & especially well acted. this is really strange &, i thought, really great, & remained running through my head for days.

Elle_poster.jpg

[Edited 5/17/17 16:28pm]

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."

http://www.thelifeyoucansave.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 05/17/17 4:23pm

damosuzuki

avatar

sexton said:




Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - Set to the backdrop of Awesome Mixtape #2, 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' continues the team's adventures as they unravel the mystery of Peter Quill's true parentage.

I was used to the humor this time around. I went in expecting the movie to be a big comedy and that's what I got. The story was weaker than in the first film though and I didn't get the feel that it was part of something larger like many of the other Marvel Cinematic Universe movies. 3.5/5

i just got back from the guardians movie myself.

.

my potentially unpopular opinion is that the two guardians films are my favourite mcu movies. i usually like to let films settle for a day or two before giving them a rating, but i thought 2 was pure fun (if undeniably a touch shambolic) & i genuinely loved it. and i'd also add this to the list of rare films where the 3d is pretty good, worth the upcharge, & not a complete waste of money. 4/5

[Edited 5/17/17 16:36pm]

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."

http://www.thelifeyoucansave.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 05/19/17 2:51pm

Phishanga

avatar

Alien: Covenant. 3/10. What a piece of shit movie. Boring and stupid.

Hey loudmouth, shut the fuck up, right?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 05/19/17 4:10pm

214

damosuzuki said:

Elle 4/5 almost a mystery movie, in the sense that you're never given a complete understanding of why the main character did the things she did & behaved the way she behaved. there are possibilities, some presented in the movie, some that i'd say are never discussed. sometimes that lack of precision can be a distraction or annoyance for me, but it never felt that way here, because the movie was so focused & interesting & especially well acted. this is really strange &, i thought, really great, & remained running through my head for days.

Elle_poster.jpg

[Edited 5/17/17 16:28pm]

Sounds quite interesting from your brief review.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 05/20/17 6:56am

damosuzuki

avatar

high plains drifter 3/5 i seem to have an overwhelming aversion to westerns. as soon as one comes on, my 'i'm bored' neurons almost always seem to start firing. however, there were some bizarre, dreamlike elements to this one that kept me partially engaged. it was never quite clear to me exactly what it was i was watching (i think it might be a ghost story, but i wouldn't argue that point hotly), & that ambiguity was enough to keep me watching through the endless shots of sweaty men shooting rifles.

449576.jpg

[Edited 5/20/17 6:56am]

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."

http://www.thelifeyoucansave.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 05/20/17 10:54am

namepeace

The Handmaiden (2016)

Blue Is The Warmest Color meets Eyes Wide Shut meets Hateful Eight in a period piece.

Great, fascinating film.

starstarstarstar

Good night, sweet Prince | 7 June 1958 - 21 April 2016

Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 05/20/17 12:15pm

Dasein

Aliens:Covenant

"B-"

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 05/20/17 6:04pm

damosuzuki

avatar

namepeace said:

The Handmaiden (2016)

Blue Is The Warmest Color meets Eyes Wide Shut meets Hateful Eight in a period piece.

Great, fascinating film.

starstarstarstar

one of my favourites of last year, for sure. incredibly sexy, but also just a really great caper movie. i'm due for a re-watch soon.

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."

http://www.thelifeyoucansave.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 05/20/17 6:13pm

damosuzuki

avatar

christine - 3.5/5 based on the true story of christine chubbuck, a reporter who committed suicide during a newscast in the 70s. it meanders about a bit while it lays out the story, but it never feels plodding or pointless, and you really do get a feeling for how isolated & disconnected this person was, & how awkward she was in her private & work life.

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."

http://www.thelifeyoucansave.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 05/21/17 11:51am

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

Alien Covenant 6.5/10

I like the allegorical elements and I did like the pacing. Slow films never bother me, dumb films do.
Having said that, the tone Covenant sets for itself is smart, but some basics of logic are pretty dumb. For instance, its basic protocol to take proper precautions with contamination, and especially so in a scenario where you are carrying so much life samples. Having so little care in this basic tenant really destroys the tone the film sets out for itself. I mean, if it was just a monster movie it would be no big deal, but the way it sets up its allegory it was hard to turn your brain off and take it any more seriously than a Godzilla movie.

But overall, dumb aspects excluded, it's an good Alien movie. To me it seems it's a movie devided and moved by different forces. The studio probably just wants a dumb action movie, whereas I don't think Ridley Scott would associate himself with the franchise it it was just dumb action. So it's odd film. Action for the dumb folks, and not smart enough for what it sets out to deliver.
Facebook is for losers.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 05/21/17 8:29pm

Goddess4Real

avatar

The Wizard of Lies (2017) is an excellent tv movie about Bernie Madoff and his notorious Ponzi scheme that defrauded his clients out of billions in 2008. Both Robert De Niro and Michelle Pfeifer give amazing performances. I highly recommend it 4.5 out of 5 popcorn

220px-The_Wizard_of_Lies.jpg

[Edited 5/21/17 20:30pm]

Keep Calm & Listen To Prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 05/22/17 12:12pm

Ace

avatar

damosuzuki said:

christine - 3.5/5 based on the true story of christine chubbuck, a reporter who committed suicide during a newscast in the 70s. it meanders about a bit while it lays out the story, but it never feels plodding or pointless, and you really do get a feeling for how isolated & disconnected this person was, & how awkward she was in her private & work life.


Haven't seen this (too bleak for me - and what am I hoping to learn here?). Rebecca Hall is an excellent actor, though.

"Only his writing was calm. His writing which - in more ways than one - had saved his life."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 05/23/17 8:01am

namepeace

damosuzuki said:

namepeace said:

The Handmaiden (2016)

Blue Is The Warmest Color meets Eyes Wide Shut meets Hateful Eight in a period piece.

Great, fascinating film.

starstarstarstar

one of my favourites of last year, for sure. incredibly sexy, but also just a really great caper movie. i'm due for a re-watch soon.


Yeah, I think the intelligence and wit of the movie is what makes it work. Very Tarantino-esque in all the right ways.

Good night, sweet Prince | 7 June 1958 - 21 April 2016

Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 05/23/17 7:53pm

damosuzuki

avatar

Ace said:

damosuzuki said:

christine - 3.5/5 based on the true story of christine chubbuck, a reporter who committed suicide during a newscast in the 70s. it meanders about a bit while it lays out the story, but it never feels plodding or pointless, and you really do get a feeling for how isolated & disconnected this person was, & how awkward she was in her private & work life.


Haven't seen this (too bleak for me - and what am I hoping to learn here?). Rebecca Hall is an excellent actor, though.

i avoided it when it played here in the theatres more or less for that reason, but gave it a shot once it popped up on netflix.


hall's performance absolutely was special, & i didn't think there was even a hint of exploitation to be found, but, even though i do think you could map your understanding of human behavior onto the way people acted in this film, i can't really say it gave me any extra insight.

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."

http://www.thelifeyoucansave.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 05/23/17 7:59pm

damosuzuki

avatar

fail safe - 3.5/5 definitely not as good as that other nuclear armageddon/cold war film that came out in 1964, but it's still very effective, if undercut by a few melodramatic moments and some scenes & characters that seemed overly didactic to me.

b70-2249

[Edited 5/23/17 19:59pm]

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."

http://www.thelifeyoucansave.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 05/24/17 12:58pm

Ace

avatar

damosuzuki said:

Ace said:


Haven't seen this (too bleak for me - and what am I hoping to learn here?). Rebecca Hall is an excellent actor, though.

i avoided it when it played here in the theatres more or less for that reason, but gave it a shot once it popped up on netflix.


hall's performance absolutely was special, & i didn't think there was even a hint of exploitation to be found, but, even though i do think you could map your understanding of human behavior onto the way people acted in this film, i can't really say it gave me any extra insight.


Thanks!

"Only his writing was calm. His writing which - in more ways than one - had saved his life."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 05/24/17 5:11pm

XxAxX

avatar

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them starstarstarstarstar excellent movie, tons of fun with lively and engaging characters. Of course, it's J.K. Rowling's work so we get a wonderful romp through 1920s New York complete with period pieces galore (loved the Model Ts), amazing backdrops and CGI-generated magical creatures. The only thing that put me off slightly was the audio drop-out. Still, zero points deducted for that! Five stars plus. Looking forward to the next installment! !!! !

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 05/24/17 11:20pm

Goddess4Real

avatar

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017) I found the 5th film in the series to be very entertaining, a great cast, it has alot of action, its funny, has a couple of cool cameos and most importantly a satisfying ending, should this be the last one......but wait there is a Post-End Credit Scene nuts so if this film does well maybe there might be a Pirates 6? Anyway I give it a solid 4 out of 5 popcorn and I will get it on blu-ray to add to my Pirates collection.

MV5BMTYyMTcxNzc5M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTg2ODE2MTI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

[Edited 5/24/17 23:21pm]

Keep Calm & Listen To Prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 05/25/17 9:48am

sexton

avatar

Ace said:

sexton said:


GotG_Vol2_poster.jpg

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - Set to the backdrop of Awesome Mixtape #2, 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' continues the team's adventures as they unravel the mystery of Peter Quill's true parentage.

I was used to the humor this time around. I went in expecting the movie to be a big comedy and that's what I got. The story was weaker than in the first film though and I didn't get the feel that it was part of something larger like many of the other Marvel Cinematic Universe movies. 3.5/5


You left out the most important part: How was Richard Christy's cameo? biggrin


Totally missed it! eek Now I have to see the movie again. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 05/25/17 9:49am

sexton

avatar

namepeace said:

The Handmaiden (2016)

Blue Is The Warmest Color meets Eyes Wide Shut meets Hateful Eight in a period piece.

Great, fascinating film.

starstarstarstar


My favorite movie of 2016. thumbs up!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 05/25/17 9:59am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

Doctor Strange!


Good movie. I actually watched it in one sitting...which is very rare for me.

I have some issues with some plot points. It was almost a little too much on the jokes. I was worried for a bit that one joke would be made but if it was i missed it (about the librarian).

The pacing was good, almost perfect... I missed how he got from some places to others but I am sure it was me.

Great visuals! And overall a fun time.


Recommended 4/5

With Love, Honor & Respect for all of you...no matter how I argue or disagree my heart is full of love for you all...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 05/25/17 5:42pm

damosuzuki

avatar

alien covenant 1.5/5 prometheus was a movie i truly disliked, so much so that i'd probably rate it as one of my least favourite films. part of my problem was what almost everyone else complained about (clunky plotting & silly behavior by the crew), but my main problem was the 'chariots of the gods' plot-points & the real contempt i felt the movie showed to science.

covenant still touches on some of those elements, but i think it handles them quite a bit more gracefully. that automatically makes me like it a little more, but i think it fails pretty badly on almost all other points. for a movie that seems to try pretty hard to recapture the first alien film in its back half, it had almost no atmosphere or tension. to this day, i can remember the moment i saw the alien pop out of john hurt's chest. that's indelibly imprinted in my mind. you can only create a shock like that once, i'm sure, but nothing in this movie came anywhere close to making that kind of impact. and the action, when it came, seemed really clunk to me, undercut by too many close-ups & perhaps too much shaky cam.

and i also felt that the characters were completely undeveloped. at one point, we find out a character's wife has died, & i honestly wasn't sure who she was. someone explained to me after the film that apparently the entire crew was made up of married couples, one of them a gay couple, something completely lost on me. perhaps i'm just making myself look dense here, but i never once picked up on that.

and it doesn't even have any of the really great visual moments that occasionally redeemed prometheus. there was nothing in covenant that came close to opening scene of the earlier film, for example .the only really pleasure i got out of this movie is michael fassbender's performance, & that was the best thing in prometheus as well, i'd say. danny mcbride was fine too, but he wasn't given much to work with.

so, in conclusion, screw you alien covenant, you grey, dreary, elephant's left testicle of a movie.

[Edited 5/25/17 18:08pm]

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."

http://www.thelifeyoucansave.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 05/25/17 8:43pm

Hudson

avatar

Goddess4Real said:

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017) .but wait there is a Post-End Credit Scene nuts so if this film does well maybe there might be a Pirates 6?



There have been 6 films planned for almost a decade now.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 05/26/17 6:47pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

Just watched "Shawshank Redemption" for the first time in years...and it holds up even better than I remember. A message about patience, survival, perseverance, reciprocity, and ultimately...hope. The memorable quotation from the movie: "Get busy living...or get busy dying." Five stars out of five.

You can walk a mile in my shoes. But you can't dance a step in my feet.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 05/27/17 9:44am

sonshine

avatar

Inglorious Basterds 4.5/5. I am so NOT the person who appreciates in-your-face violence and bloody brutality, but there is something about his movies that keep them hanging around for several days before you can let them go. Except the Kill Bill's. Hated those. Resevoir Dogs is brilliant. Django is another favorite. Inglorious Basterds is gripping, gritty, funny, and smart.
Have you had your plus sign (+) today?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 05/27/17 7:49pm

Goddess4Real

avatar

Hudson said:

Goddess4Real said:

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017) .but wait there is a Post-End Credit Scene nuts so if this film does well maybe there might be a Pirates 6?



There have been 6 films planned for almost a decade now.

I didn't know that.....thanks thumbs up!

Keep Calm & Listen To Prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > General Discussion > Rate The Last Movie You Watched