independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Why is there so little interest in D&P SDE
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #90 posted 12/04/23 4:15am

ShellyMcG

I just hope that the lukewarm reception doesn't put them off releasing more modern outtakes. I know the 80s stuff is the holy grail for a lot (most?) fans but even for newer, more casual fans like myself, we already have a lot of these unreleased 80s recordings. So it doesn't feel exciting for me to get these same songs in slightly better sound quality.

I personally think that unreleased tracks from the 2000s and 2010s should be shown more love. Like, we had a situation there over the summer where a bunch of these latter day outtakes were played for fans during the Celebration thing and a lot of those songs were highly praised by those who heard them. But the rest of us are just shit out of luck.

I genuinely think there would be more interest from the casual fan if they released a reasonably priced Vault Series containing some of his final recordings rather than the ridiculously expensive Diamonds And Pearls Super Deluxe Edition.

By all means, continue with the yearly SDE releases for the classic albums (Purple Rain, Controversy, Dirty Mind, Parade, etc) but how about also releasing a Vault album once a year too for songs that don't fit on the SDEs. Like, release a Vault album every March for outtakes from 1994 onwards and then do a SDE in October for those classic albums of the 80s. And throw in a live DVD every June for his birthday.
[Edited 12/4/23 4:15am]
[Edited 12/4/23 4:21am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #91 posted 12/04/23 5:16am

olb99

avatar

ShellyMcG said:

By all means, continue with the yearly SDE releases for the classic albums (Purple Rain, Controversy, Dirty Mind, Parade, etc) but how about also releasing a Vault album once a year too for songs that don't fit on the SDEs. Like, release a Vault album every March for outtakes from 1994 onwards and then do a SDE in October for those classic albums of the 80s. And throw in a live DVD every June for his birthday.


I like that: 3 series in parallel. March, June, October. What about January, though? wink

But, seriously, a release every 3 months should be a minimum for someone as prolific as Prince.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #92 posted 12/04/23 6:21am

funkbabyandthe
babysitters

MattyJam said:

funkbabyandthebabysitters said:

you can hate it. but to call it a fluke hit is wrong. it was DESIGNED to be a hit. thats why he put so much work into the songs, which is obvious to anyone, if you compare it to the songs on the symbol album just a year later. now if it flopped, it would be an album designed to be a hit that FAILED, but he knew what he was doing and going for. same attitude he had when making PR.

Just beause it was designed to be a hit and succeeded in being one, doesn't change the fact that the songs themselves are mostly uninspired and have aged like warm milk.

It caught on because Prince enlisted ex-MJs manager and played the game. Total dreck is designed to be a hit all the time and with the right industry backing you can get literal audible sewage to top the charts.

thats a diff point - you are entitled to think its dreck.

he played the game though, yes. it was all intentional.

i still maintain cream and insatiable are all time prince classics.

D&P too.

gett off is a 90s classic, but i dont think its inventive, or as perfect a pop single as something like cream.

walk dont walk is actually kinda novel, with its traffic noises, and i just like whimsical prince in general.

thunder is pop rock cheese but its well done, and i love it lol.

but sure, its a very commercial sounding album overall.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #93 posted 12/04/23 7:33am

RODSERLING

funkbabyandthebabysitters said:



MattyJam said:




funkbabyandthebabysitters said:


you can hate it. but to call it a fluke hit is wrong. it was DESIGNED to be a hit. thats why he put so much work into the songs, which is obvious to anyone, if you compare it to the songs on the symbol album just a year later. now if it flopped, it would be an album designed to be a hit that FAILED, but he knew what he was doing and going for. same attitude he had when making PR.




Just beause it was designed to be a hit and succeeded in being one, doesn't change the fact that the songs themselves are mostly uninspired and have aged like warm milk.



It caught on because Prince enlisted ex-MJs manager and played the game. Total dreck is designed to be a hit all the time and with the right industry backing you can get literal audible sewage to top the charts.



thats a diff point - you are entitled to think its dreck.


he played the game though, yes. it was all intentional.


i still maintain cream and insatiable are all time prince classics.


D&P too.


gett off is a 90s classic, but i dont think its inventive, or as perfect a pop single as something like cream.


walk dont walk is actually kinda novel, with its traffic noises, and i just like whimsical prince in general.


thunder is pop rock cheese but its well done, and i love it lol.


but sure, its a very commercial sounding album overall.



" A very commercial sounding album overall"
Just like almost everything he did after D&P ( not even mentionning his previous albums which all had commercial hits)
Saying that, it s just saying nothing about Prince' whole career.
[Edited 12/4/23 7:34am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #94 posted 12/04/23 7:34am

funkbabyandthe
babysitters

im a D&P fan.

i dont hate it.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #95 posted 12/04/23 8:50am

ShellyMcG

olb99 said:



ShellyMcG said:


By all means, continue with the yearly SDE releases for the classic albums (Purple Rain, Controversy, Dirty Mind, Parade, etc) but how about also releasing a Vault album once a year too for songs that don't fit on the SDEs. Like, release a Vault album every March for outtakes from 1994 onwards and then do a SDE in October for those classic albums of the 80s. And throw in a live DVD every June for his birthday.


I like that: 3 series in parallel. March, June, October. What about January, though? wink

But, seriously, a release every 3 months should be a minimum for someone as prolific as Prince.



Maybe January can be for the announcements of what's to come that year. Maybe a single from the Vault release in March just to get people talking.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #96 posted 12/04/23 9:13am

funkbabyandthe
babysitters

RODSERLING said:

funkbabyandthebabysitters said:



MattyJam said:




funkbabyandthebabysitters said:


you can hate it. but to call it a fluke hit is wrong. it was DESIGNED to be a hit. thats why he put so much work into the songs, which is obvious to anyone, if you compare it to the songs on the symbol album just a year later. now if it flopped, it would be an album designed to be a hit that FAILED, but he knew what he was doing and going for. same attitude he had when making PR.




Just beause it was designed to be a hit and succeeded in being one, doesn't change the fact that the songs themselves are mostly uninspired and have aged like warm milk.



It caught on because Prince enlisted ex-MJs manager and played the game. Total dreck is designed to be a hit all the time and with the right industry backing you can get literal audible sewage to top the charts.



thats a diff point - you are entitled to think its dreck.


he played the game though, yes. it was all intentional.


i still maintain cream and insatiable are all time prince classics.


D&P too.


gett off is a 90s classic, but i dont think its inventive, or as perfect a pop single as something like cream.


walk dont walk is actually kinda novel, with its traffic noises, and i just like whimsical prince in general.


thunder is pop rock cheese but its well done, and i love it lol.


but sure, its a very commercial sounding album overall.



" A very commercial sounding album overall"
Just like almost everything he did after D&P ( not even mentionning his previous albums which all had commercial hits)
Saying that, it s just saying nothing about Prince' whole career.
[Edited 12/4/23 7:34am]


Prince was always pop
No doubt about that
But before he did weird things alongside the poppiness. Eg most of his 80s records arent well produced by 80s standards.
On d+p and much of the 90s he took less risks with how his records sounded, he wanted to sound more professional. I mean, the jump from graffiti bridge to d+p is quite a change.
All that typical live band npg sound, enjoyable as it is, it wasnt esp risky or novel.
Thats what i mean.
Its why fans get so angry about the album, they think prince capitulated to the pop market wholly.
To have him sound so normal and MOR on TMBGITW for instance, that was prince at his most commercial ever.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #97 posted 12/04/23 12:14pm

SoulAlive

We should be getting at least two SDEs every year.They need to speed these releases up.It seems that most of us are ready to move on to the next one.Start the new year with a big announcement regarding the next one.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #98 posted 12/04/23 12:45pm

funkbabyandthe
babysitters

the next one is PR isnt it?

hopefully they will put out something else too, a low key release.

i hope they do an ATWIAD SDE - that would be a cool one-two punch with the PR SDE - but im not totally sure what would be on that. so if they do PR and parade, that would be amazing.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #99 posted 12/04/23 5:15pm

RODSERLING

funkbabyandthebabysitters said:

RODSERLING said:



" A very commercial sounding album overall"
Just like almost everything he did after D&P ( not even mentionning his previous albums which all had commercial hits)
Saying that, it s just saying nothing about Prince' whole career.
[Edited 12/4/23 7:34am]


Prince was always pop
No doubt about that
But before he did weird things alongside the poppiness. Eg most of his 80s records arent well produced by 80s standards.
On d+p and much of the 90s he took less risks with how his records sounded, he wanted to sound more professional. I mean, the jump from graffiti bridge to d+p is quite a change.
All that typical live band npg sound, enjoyable as it is, it wasnt esp risky or novel.
Thats what i mean.
Its why fans get so angry about the album, they think prince capitulated to the pop market wholly.
To have him sound so normal and MOR on TMBGITW for instance, that was prince at his most commercial ever.


But if you claim that the D,&P sound wasn't "novel" as you said, in 1991, please could you tell us about one act that did like that?
In D&P you have a mix of hip hop, pop, rnb, soul, funk and rock.
It had 4/5/6 singles according to the countries, that were all completely different in styles. What was commercially viable at the time, and still true nowadays, is releasing an album of the same style/genre for every song. Just like Nirvana's Nevermind,the R.E.M.album, the U2 album, etc. That had less singles than D&P but sold much more. Even album such as Dangerous, had too different styles that it needed 9 singles to sell 30 millions, while Nirvana needed only 4 singles of the same genre to do these numbers.

What Prince did musically with D&P, I still claim that not only nobody did that before ( or After, that's for sure), but it was risky too because every single challenged the general audience, since there were from différent genre.

I became fan of Prince because I heard on the radio Gett Off...in 2001. I was 15 years old, it was musically a slap in my face. I knew he released underground albums without record companies at the time, so I thought it was a new single, because it sounded like nothing I have ever heard before on radio.
When I bought the very best of in 2002, I was blown away by the fact it was released ten years before, such a long time when you have 15 years old ! I ve heard Cream, D&P and "Money", but never Gett Off before on the rzdio.

So, you re telling us that eventually, Gett Off "wasn't inventive", that it s "so 90's", I m sorry but who else created something like that? And who the fuck are you to tell that, could you do something that creative ?
I mean, just musically. Not even talking about the music video, the tv or live performances...To spit about so much creativity is beyond any logical comprehension.


[Edited 12/4/23 17:16pm]
[Edited 12/4/23 17:17pm]
[Edited 12/4/23 17:18pm]
[Edited 12/4/23 17:21pm]
[Edited 12/4/23 17:24pm]
[Edited 12/4/23 17:34pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #100 posted 12/04/23 5:36pm

SoulAlive

funkbabyandthebabysitters said:

the next one is PR isnt it?



Not sure…Parade might be next…I don’t care,I just want more of these sets in a timely fashion.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #101 posted 12/05/23 2:54am

love2thenines2
003

SoulAlive said:

funkbabyandthebabysitters said:

the next one is PR isnt it?

Not sure…Parade might be next…I don’t care,I just want more of these sets in a timely fashion.

It is....not Parade..... confirmed by different official sources working or leading the project!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #102 posted 12/05/23 7:37am

funkbabyandthe
babysitters

RODSERLING said:

funkbabyandthebabysitters said:
Prince was always pop No doubt about that But before he did weird things alongside the poppiness. Eg most of his 80s records arent well produced by 80s standards. On d+p and much of the 90s he took less risks with how his records sounded, he wanted to sound more professional. I mean, the jump from graffiti bridge to d+p is quite a change. All that typical live band npg sound, enjoyable as it is, it wasnt esp risky or novel. Thats what i mean. Its why fans get so angry about the album, they think prince capitulated to the pop market wholly. To have him sound so normal and MOR on TMBGITW for instance, that was prince at his most commercial ever.
But if you claim that the D,&P sound wasn't "novel" as you said, in 1991, please could you tell us about one act that did like that? In D&P you have a mix of hip hop, pop, rnb, soul, funk and rock. It had 4/5/6 singles according to the countries, that were all completely different in styles. What was commercially viable at the time, and still true nowadays, is releasing an album of the same style/genre for every song. Just like Nirvana's Nevermind,the R.E.M.album, the U2 album, etc. That had less singles than D&P but sold much more. Even album such as Dangerous, had too different styles that it needed 9 singles to sell 30 millions, while Nirvana needed only 4 singles of the same genre to do these numbers. What Prince did musically with D&P, I still claim that not only nobody did that before ( or After, that's for sure), but it was risky too because every single challenged the general audience, since there were from différent genre. I became fan of Prince because I heard on the radio Gett Off...in 2001. I was 15 years old, it was musically a slap in my face. I knew he released underground albums without record companies at the time, so I thought it was a new single, because it sounded like nothing I have ever heard before on radio. When I bought the very best of in 2002, I was blown away by the fact it was released ten years before, such a long time when you have 15 years old ! I ve heard Cream, D&P and "Money", but never Gett Off before on the rzdio. So, you re telling us that eventually, Gett Off "wasn't inventive", that it s "so 90's", I m sorry but who else created something like that? And who the fuck are you to tell that, could you do something that creative ? I mean, just musically. Not even talking about the music video, the tv or live performances...To spit about so much creativity is beyond any logical comprehension. [Edited 12/4/23 17:16pm] [Edited 12/4/23 17:17pm] [Edited 12/4/23 17:18pm] [Edited 12/4/23 17:21pm] [Edited 12/4/23 17:24pm] [Edited 12/4/23 17:34pm]

i was referrring to the production actually, as thats what most fans take umbrage with.

the sound, the sonics, i.e. how clean it was, compared to the less produced, rougher sounding records he was making in the 80s. i mean, no one is going to tell you SOTT is well produced or sounds like the popular records of that time. it sounds nothing like bad or true blue or joshua tree for instance.

whereas D&P DOES sound much more like the popular music being released at that time in terms of its shininess, the lack of rough edges, the polish, etc. e.g. even on the other big album prince spent a lot of time refining and honing, purple rain, it still doesnt sound like something like a def lepard or bon jovi album from the mid 80s.

as for other projects that sounded a bit like D&P, well stetsasonic were a hip hop band from the late 80s. artists like hammer were going on tour with live bands. all the late 70s/early 80s records were cut in the studio with live bands. lots of artists were already combining rap and rnb from the late 80s onwards. rock bands like RHCP or beastie boys were combining their music with rap. so that was not new. but sure, to princes credit, doing it in the format of a self contained band maybe was still fresh. but i am not sure what you mean about D&P being special as it had so many different styles - that was prince's whole mission from the early 80s onwards, to showcase different genres and styles across each album.

as for gett off, i said it was a 90s classic, just not 'perfect pop' like cream, so maybe read more carefully next time. if you were a kid as i was when gett off came out, yeah it was a big deal, with the video, the mtv performance, etc, i loved it all, but its def of the moment. e.g. those 'kettle noises', ie the high pitched horn samples it uses which lots of ppl were using at the time cos public enemy made that kinda thing popular on rebel without a pause a few years earlier, the james brown reference, prince's odd usage of hip hop slang. i love it still, but as for who the fuck i am to say anything about gett off or prince (lol), well then you may as well just shut this whole site down and tell people not to say anything about prince unless they are worshipping prince for everything he did.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #103 posted 12/05/23 6:17pm

SoulAlive

love2thenines2003 said:



SoulAlive said:


funkbabyandthebabysitters said:

the next one is PR isnt it?



Not sure…Parade might be next…I don’t care,I just want more of these sets in a timely fashion.





It is....not Parade..... confirmed by different official sources working or leading the project!





That’s too bad.There are alot of great outtakes from that era.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #104 posted 12/05/23 8:53pm

paisleyparkgir
l

avatar

love2thenines2003 said:

SoulAlive said:

funkbabyandthebabysitters said: Not sure…Parade might be next…I don’t care,I just want more of these sets in a timely fashion.

It is....not Parade..... confirmed by different official sources working or leading the project!

Is it Purple Rain ?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #105 posted 12/06/23 12:06am

olb99

avatar

paisleyparkgirl said:

love2thenines2003 said:

It is....not Parade..... confirmed by different official sources working or leading the project!

Is it Purple Rain ?


Most probably, yes.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #106 posted 12/06/23 2:36pm

love2thenines2
003

olb99 said:

paisleyparkgirl said:

Is it Purple Rain ?


Most probably, yes.

This is PR...yes it is!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #107 posted 12/06/23 3:07pm

RODSERLING

Duane Tuhdal implied Purple wouldn't be released in 2024. He said the general audience don't care about these birthdays.
Knowing it took 3 years to release a truncated D&P SDE, don't expect necessarily PR next year.

For every posthumous released, we had leak of the content ( tracklist, packaging) months before the official announcement of the release to come.

Maybe they will use after all Lovesymbol SDE if they are not able to release PR Sde next year.
After all, the previous estate alrrady spent money on it ( archival, research, mastering, remastering, cleaning, notes for the booklet, photos that could be use,. Etc.).
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #108 posted 12/06/23 3:25pm

ShellyMcG

RODSERLING said:

Duane Tuhdal implied Purple wouldn't be released in 2024. He said the general audience don't care about these birthdays.
Knowing it took 3 years to release a truncated D&P SDE, don't expect necessarily PR next year.

For every posthumous released, we had leak of the content ( tracklist, packaging) months before the official announcement of the release to come.

Maybe they will use after all Lovesymbol SDE if they are not able to release PR Sde next year.
After all, the previous estate alrrady spent money on it ( archival, research, mastering, remastering, cleaning, notes for the booklet, photos that could be use,. Etc.).


From a business perspective, would the Love Symbol album be a wise choice? The Diamonds And Pearls release doesn't seem to have been as well received by the Prince faithful or the general public as previous releases. Does it make sense to follow that up with another, similar, album from the same timeframe? Surely what they should be concentrating on now would be bagging a guaranteed hit to pull the general audience in and try to reignite at least some interest in Prince before expanding into riskier releases. Purple Rain is probably the only surefire success for them.

I mean, personally I would rather hear Hit'n'Run Phase Three or outtakes from 3121/Lotusflower era but I know I'm probably in the minority on that.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #109 posted 12/06/23 3:50pm

SoulAlive

love2thenines2003 said:



olb99 said:




paisleyparkgirl said:



Is it Purple Rain ?




Most probably, yes.




This is PR...yes it is!



I’m OK with a Purple Rain SDE but this time,I want them to do it right.Fill it up with all the outtakes and demos.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #110 posted 12/06/23 4:11pm

FrankieCoco1

I’ve still yet to listen to the vault tracks and show from the SDE - I’m getting the CD set for Christmas and am saving the experience for the break time I’ve got then. Hopefully I can hear it with fresh ears, blotting out some of the negative reactions, and just enjoy it for what it is. It’ll still be a lot to take in.
There may or may not be something coming!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #111 posted 12/06/23 4:38pm

MIRvmn1

avatar

RODSERLING said:

Duane Tuhdal implied Purple wouldn't be released in 2024. He said the general audience don't care about these birthdays.
Knowing it took 3 years to release a truncated D&P SDE, don't expect necessarily PR next year.

For every posthumous released, we had leak of the content ( tracklist, packaging) months before the official announcement of the release to come.

Maybe they will use after all Lovesymbol SDE if they are not able to release PR Sde next year.
After all, the previous estate alrrady spent money on it ( archival, research, mastering, remastering, cleaning, notes for the booklet, photos that could be use,. Etc.).

Yes it would be easy for them to prepare a prince SDE for release next year since all they have to do is use the material from the cancelled D&L SDE and maybe add a few more songs.
[Edited 12/6/23 16:53pm]
U are now an official member of the New Power Generation
Welcome 2 The Dawn
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #112 posted 12/06/23 6:00pm

lurker316

avatar

ShellyMcG said:

RODSERLING said:

From a business perspective, would the Love Symbol album be a wise choice? The Diamonds And Pearls release doesn't seem to have been as well received by the Prince faithful or the general public as previous releases. Does it make sense to follow that up with another, similar, album from the same timeframe? Surely what they should be concentrating on now would be bagging a guaranteed hit to pull the general audience in and try to reignite at least some interest in Prince before expanding into riskier releases. Purple Rain is probably the only surefire success for them. I mean, personally I would rather hear Hit'n'Run Phase Three or outtakes from 3121/Lotusflower era but I know I'm probably in the minority on that.



I'm with you. I'd love to hear Hitnrun Phase Three or 3121/Lotusflow3r outtakes.





  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #113 posted 12/06/23 9:05pm

RODSERLING

ShellyMcG said:

RODSERLING said:

Duane Tuhdal implied Purple wouldn't be released in 2024. He said the general audience don't care about these birthdays.
Knowing it took 3 years to release a truncated D&P SDE, don't expect necessarily PR next year.

For every posthumous released, we had leak of the content ( tracklist, packaging) months before the official announcement of the release to come.

Maybe they will use after all Lovesymbol SDE if they are not able to release PR Sde next year.
After all, the previous estate alrrady spent money on it ( archival, research, mastering, remastering, cleaning, notes for the booklet, photos that could be use,. Etc.).


From a business perspective, would the Love Symbol album be a wise choice? The Diamonds And Pearls release doesn't seem to have been as well received by the Prince faithful or the general public as previous releases. Does it make sense to follow that up with another, similar, album from the same timeframe? Surely what they should be concentrating on now would be bagging a guaranteed hit to pull the general audience in and try to reignite at least some interest in Prince before expanding into riskier releases. Purple Rain is probably the only surefire success for them.

I mean, personally I would rather hear Hit'n'Run Phase Three or outtakes from 3121/Lotusflower era but I know I'm probably in the minority on that.


From a business perspective, for a Lovesymbol SDE they don t have much work to do or money to spend. Anyway, the excessive format of this kind of SDE is doomed to hope for a success.

In order to attract a wider public attention, "They" should have from the start released albums SDE chronologically, along with a tv documentary each time.

You begin with For you, with the 1976/77 jams, the 1978 demos/ unreleased tracks, some isolated multi-tracks from the opening track "For You", maybe some concert?
You combined that with his autobiography, produce a tv documentary in two episodes to highlight :
1) Prince childhood and his journey into being one musician
2) Prince making of the album For You, and its promotion, it s failure at the time, etc. And you end on " then he decided his next album would be a success " and you hear I feel For You demo as the credits appear....


Then you would have hooked a lot of people into Prince, the musician, but also the young kid, the human being, just a good normal guy fated to stardom.


And then 6 months later you go with The eponymous Prince album, and so on and on...

What the estates are doing, is to throw in the albums out of chronological order ( you go back and forth without logic).How could you make people interested in it?
[Edited 12/6/23 21:07pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #114 posted 12/07/23 12:14am

olb99

avatar

FrankieCoco1 said:

I’ve still yet to listen to the vault tracks and show from the SDE - I’m getting the CD set for Christmas and am saving the experience for the break time I’ve got then. Hopefully I can hear it with fresh ears, blotting out some of the negative reactions, and just enjoy it for what it is. It’ll still be a lot to take in.


I might be in the minority here, but I enjoy D&P SDE. "Open Book", "Get Blue", "Daddy Pop (12" Version)", "Blood On The Sheets", "The Voice", "Live 4 Love (Early Version)" and others are all tracks I will probably regularly get back to over the years to come. And the Glam Slam 1992 show is absolutely amazing, as many have already said. The music is excellent. And the video (coming from a film!) is astounding. I'm also among the persons who are really enthusiastic about the Atmos remix of the album.

I'm glad they released D&P SDE. And I'm glad they released it now.

[Edited 12/7/23 0:42am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #115 posted 12/07/23 1:38am

IanRG

olb99 said:

FrankieCoco1 said:

I’ve still yet to listen to the vault tracks and show from the SDE - I’m getting the CD set for Christmas and am saving the experience for the break time I’ve got then. Hopefully I can hear it with fresh ears, blotting out some of the negative reactions, and just enjoy it for what it is. It’ll still be a lot to take in.


I might be in the minority here, but I enjoy D&P SDE. "Open Book", "Get Blue", "Daddy Pop (12" Version)", "Blood On The Sheets", "The Voice", "Live 4 Love (Early Version)" and others are all tracks I will probably regularly get back to over the years to come. And the Glam Slam 1992 show is absolutely amazing, as many have already said. The music is excellent. And the video (coming from a film!) is astounding. I'm also among the persons who are really enthusiastic about the Atmos remix of the album.

I'm glad they released D&P SDE. And I'm glad they released it now.

[Edited 12/7/23 0:42am]


I could not agree more - Fantastic

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #116 posted 12/07/23 1:39am

fredmagnus

The Vault tracks are great on the 3 CDs. We're so lucky to get all this unrealeased music 30 years later.

I'm glad they released this D&P SDE too.

You can't please everyone anyway.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #117 posted 12/07/23 2:58am

ShellyMcG

RODSERLING said:

ShellyMcG said:



From a business perspective, would the Love Symbol album be a wise choice? The Diamonds And Pearls release doesn't seem to have been as well received by the Prince faithful or the general public as previous releases. Does it make sense to follow that up with another, similar, album from the same timeframe? Surely what they should be concentrating on now would be bagging a guaranteed hit to pull the general audience in and try to reignite at least some interest in Prince before expanding into riskier releases. Purple Rain is probably the only surefire success for them.

I mean, personally I would rather hear Hit'n'Run Phase Three or outtakes from 3121/Lotusflower era but I know I'm probably in the minority on that.


From a business perspective, for a Lovesymbol SDE they don t have much work to do or money to spend. Anyway, the excessive format of this kind of SDE is doomed to hope for a success.

In order to attract a wider public attention, "They" should have from the start released albums SDE chronologically, along with a tv documentary each time.

You begin with For you, with the 1976/77 jams, the 1978 demos/ unreleased tracks, some isolated multi-tracks from the opening track "For You", maybe some concert?
You combined that with his autobiography, produce a tv documentary in two episodes to highlight :
1) Prince childhood and his journey into being one musician
2) Prince making of the album For You, and its promotion, it s failure at the time, etc. And you end on " then he decided his next album would be a success " and you hear I feel For You demo as the credits appear....


Then you would have hooked a lot of people into Prince, the musician, but also the young kid, the human being, just a good normal guy fated to stardom.


And then 6 months later you go with The eponymous Prince album, and so on and on...

What the estates are doing, is to throw in the albums out of chronological order ( you go back and forth without logic).How could you make people interested in it?
[Edited 12/6/23 21:07pm]


Yeah that's a good point. The ship has sailed on that kind of a release schedule now though sad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #118 posted 12/07/23 2:59am

ShellyMcG

olb99 said:



FrankieCoco1 said:


I’ve still yet to listen to the vault tracks and show from the SDE - I’m getting the CD set for Christmas and am saving the experience for the break time I’ve got then. Hopefully I can hear it with fresh ears, blotting out some of the negative reactions, and just enjoy it for what it is. It’ll still be a lot to take in.


I might be in the minority here, but I enjoy D&P SDE. "Open Book", "Get Blue", "Daddy Pop (12" Version)", "Blood On The Sheets", "The Voice", "Live 4 Love (Early Version)" and others are all tracks I will probably regularly get back to over the years to come. And the Glam Slam 1992 show is absolutely amazing, as many have already said. The music is excellent. And the video (coming from a film!) is astounding. I'm also among the persons who are really enthusiastic about the Atmos remix of the album.

I'm glad they released D&P SDE. And I'm glad they released it now.

[Edited 12/7/23 0:42am]



I like most of the outtakes from the vault discs too.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #119 posted 12/07/23 11:47am

Gooddoctor23

ShellyMcG said:

I just hope that the lukewarm reception doesn't put them off releasing more modern outtakes. I know the 80s stuff is the holy grail for a lot (most?) fans but even for newer, more casual fans like myself, we already have a lot of these unreleased 80s recordings. So it doesn't feel exciting for me to get these same songs in slightly better sound quality. I personally think that unreleased tracks from the 2000s and 2010s should be shown more love. Like, we had a situation there over the summer where a bunch of these latter day outtakes were played for fans during the Celebration thing and a lot of those songs were highly praised by those who heard them. But the rest of us are just shit out of luck. I genuinely think there would be more interest from the casual fan if they released a reasonably priced Vault Series containing some of his final recordings rather than the ridiculously expensive Diamonds And Pearls Super Deluxe Edition. By all means, continue with the yearly SDE releases for the classic albums (Purple Rain, Controversy, Dirty Mind, Parade, etc) but how about also releasing a Vault album once a year too for songs that don't fit on the SDEs. Like, release a Vault album every March for outtakes from 1994 onwards and then do a SDE in October for those classic albums of the 80s. And throw in a live DVD every June for his birthday. [Edited 12/4/23 4:15am] [Edited 12/4/23 4:21am]

Agreed but these folks are pretty much stuck on stupid at this point.

Graycap23 was ME!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Why is there so little interest in D&P SDE