independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Who didn't buy SOTT SDE and why?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 3 123>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 06/30/21 7:36pm

RODSERLING

Who didn't buy SOTT SDE and why?

We won't judge
biggrin

I know for sure from what I read here and on other Prince boards, there are numerous fans who didn't buy the Super deluxe Edition of SOTT. For obvious reasons : price, size, streaming, etc.
I also know people and friends, who spent their life buying every single shit Prince released, but passed on the SDE's.

I also know from recent discussion here, some orgers can't conceive there are people who can be fans but are not interested in a 150$ box set.

This topic is your chance, an opportunity to tell the world your truth.
Peace and be wild.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 06/30/21 7:59pm

TheKid94

I love the material but the price just never seems to collaborate well with my wallet whenever I run into it on Amazon or in the store.
Thankfully with streaming I'm able to enjoy it sans the DVD which ultimately is what intrigues me the most to buy it.
.
I wouldn't see any other reason why any fan wouldn't buy other than the price. I think the estate did the album justice with the quality and care.
prince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 06/30/21 9:54pm

Phase3

I know that Prince himself doesn't get any of the money but his estate does.I cam barely afford the SDE but I know it is worth the $.I wouldn't spend that much on any other artist and I know if the estate see that the albums aren't selling well then they won't be so eager to put out more vault releases.
Although in today's time,when people mostly buy music digitally,they should make a subscription website when you can a yearly fee of $100
I doubt the estate would put up the vault for download
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 07/01/21 12:16am

kewlschool

avatar

TheKid94 said:

I love the material but the price just never seems to collaborate well with my wallet whenever I run into it on Amazon or in the store. Thankfully with streaming I'm able to enjoy it sans the DVD which ultimately is what intrigues me the most to buy it. . I wouldn't see any other reason why any fan wouldn't buy other than the price. I think the estate did the album justice with the quality and care.

I saw it yesterday for 115 dollars on Amazon CD deluxe set.

99.9% of everything I say is strictly for my own entertainment
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 07/01/21 1:07am

fredmagnus

As a reminder....I know it's a lot of money for some but it's very important that everyone buys the SDE releases, whatever the prize is.

.

Or else, the well will most probably dry after 2024 and the release of PR SDE.

.

Then we'll have nothing to discuss about anymore. No more gripes about the prize/box size/missing songs/mastering process, etc... What a bore lol

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 07/01/21 5:08am

TrevorAyer

I bought the last 3 but if they keep remastering for earbuds and iphone speakers i may skip the next one .. also not a vinyl fan so forcing vinyl to get the dvd or pay japan shipping are not cool options .. clean untouched recordings readable print and tiered packages are the key to taking my money at this point ... and duanes books should line up with the deluxe packages .. parade sde crystal ball shoulda dropped this year with a huge cumulative promotion with the book
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 07/01/21 6:48am

Vannormal

avatar

-

I wanted to write something sarcastic but that's not nice and polite. So I erased it. smile

-

Anyways.

So, some skipped to buy it because of wallet issues.

Still I'm sure most Prince's fans bought either one of the versions of the SD Editions of 1999, PR and SOTT.

Sure they are expensive to some, but life is always a question of priorities when it comes to money.

Unfortunately.

Peace though. smile

-

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves.
And wiser people so full of doubts"
(Bertrand Russsell 1872-1972)
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 07/01/21 7:09am

WukkaWahWah

-
I had very much been looking forward to the SOTT SDE release as I always want to buy the music physically on CD. I loved my 1999 Super Deluxe box format and was hoping SOTT SDE would be released in a lovely little CD/DVD box the same way.
Instead, in order to get the CDs we had to buy a big bulky heavy book where the CDs were carelessly just slotted in at the back all scuffed & scratched. We were not given the option of being able to just purchase the 8CDs without it.
I felt cheated in being made to pay twice as much money for a big book I didn't want, so I didn't. I would have happily paid about £75 for a mini box set like 1999 SDE, I was not prepared to pay £150 (an extra £75 for an additional book). Instead I bought the 3CD Deluxe for just £19 and got the extra music digitally only.
Now, similar is being done with the Welcome to America BluRay with the only way of getting it is by buying the whole package with vinyl for a hugely inflated price. Thankfully Japan has a ltd edition where it can be bought with just the CD, which is what I have done.
-
-
-

[Edited 7/1/21 7:14am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 07/01/21 7:17am

lustmealways

avatar

the size and cost of the sott sde book (cc: udo) was bullshit, the awful "deluxe" w2a edition is also bullshit. they're making the fucking packaging bigger when they should be adding more cd's, stick to the 1999 sde form factor for the cd release.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 07/01/21 7:41am

Strive

I paid $3 for Cosmic Day, Walkin' In Glory and Forever In My Life (Early Vocal Run-through) so I could easily listen to them on my Echo.

I already had the Closer 2 God bootleg uploaded to my account before Amazon shut down the ability to upload your own music.

Honestly, the only Estate release I have purchased was Purple Rain: DE. Because that was the only one that hasn't an inflated price and really interested me.

I have Welcome 2 America preordered but I may cancel it and buy the few songs that interest me. It depends on whether Autorip is included or not. $10 for CD and digital is a good deal. $10 for just the CD? Ehhhhhhhh

"When you deny people the option to not pick a side, you may not like the side they'll pick."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 07/01/21 7:59am

ufoclub

avatar

TrevorAyer said:

I bought the last 3 but if they keep remastering for earbuds and iphone speakers i may skip the next one .. also not a vinyl fan so forcing vinyl to get the dvd or pay japan shipping are not cool options .. clean untouched recordings readable print and tiered packages are the key to taking my money at this point ... and duanes books should line up with the deluxe packages .. parade sde crystal ball shoulda dropped this year with a huge cumulative promotion with the book

The SOTT remaster was done well. So was 1999. The DVD is available with the CD edition because that's what I got. The package is the size of vinyl, but it's CD's inside.

Purple Rain... dunno.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 07/01/21 8:14am

lustmealways

avatar

you know what group of people are so dumb? those folks that are like, "haha slow down! i barely have listened to the first two vault discs of the SOTT sde!!! can't keep up with this pace, haha!!!"

can you imagine?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 07/01/21 8:43am

TrevorAyer

I find the remasters to be tubby .. many of the leaked versions sound more authentic to the original eq despite perhaps not being direct from the master
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 07/01/21 9:09am

DotsofU

avatar

I bought SOTT Superdeluxe and thought it would be heavenly...

And parts of it are......

But I think they should have narrowed down those vault tracks...

There are too many and at least in my opinion... many of them suck (do not come for me, it is just my opinion)

I guess I was in the camp of 'release everything'.. but man, this was dense....

Maybe when I was a kid, I had time to get lost in everything "Prince" but I don't have that kind of time anymore and I found it hard to digest.

I would much rather have a proper Camille album than a side of vinyl dedicated to those downright terrible Bonnie Raitt songs... good grief she was smart to get the F out of there

I also do not understand why they would give us a DVD of that concert and not a download .. I don't have a DVD player anymore and these new Macs don't have a CD/DVD drive.....

So, I got to watch it with everyone else and now I can't.. which seems dumb

(unless I am missing something)

The book was great and I am thrilled to have it...

But I am getting more out of the Duane Tudhal book than I am from the actual box set

I don't need more celebrities blowing smoke up his ass...

I want to be educated on the period.. what was inspriring him, what was happening around him...

That book gives us that informaiton and then some

And....the merch that was released in the prince shop to accompany the release..... COME ON... I could not bring myself to buy a single thing ... it was awful.. just awful.... AWFUL!

I keep searching for the 1999 Superdeluxe but now it is more out of curiosity .. I can't bring myself to shell out the $ for it.

I would definiltey for Parade but no way for D&P

oh well I guess.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 07/01/21 9:15am

ChickenMcNugge
ts

avatar

If I was in a 'money no object' phase of my life, or even had the space in my flat for loads of bulky box sets, maybe I would've bought everything. But that's not the case, so I was happy enough with the standard peach SOTT on vinyl to go with my existing vinyl copy. I'm perfectly happy for those who say "fans should really be buying everything" to buy me a copy of the full-fat version of the SDE with their own money if they feel that strongly about it, lol.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 07/01/21 9:33am

Phase3

TrevorAyer said:

I find the remasters to be tubby .. many of the leaked versions sound more authentic to the original eq despite perhaps not being direct from the master

I noticed that too."Rebirth of the flesh" from the official release sounds very thin compared to the bootleg "box of chocolates",but on some instances the estate gets it right."Wally" is a great example.
You would think ALL the songs would be crystal clear quality coming from the estate but that's not the case.
"Wouldn't you love to love me" from the originals release for instance.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 07/01/21 9:38am

LoveGalore

DotsofU said:

I bought SOTT Superdeluxe and thought it would be heavenly...


And parts of it are.....



But I think they should have narrowed down those vault tracks...


There are too many and at least in my opinion... many of them suck (do not come for me, it is just my opinion)


I guess I was in the camp of 'release everything'.. but man, this was dense....



Maybe when I was a kid, I had time to get lost in everything "Prince" but I don't have that kind of time anymore and I found it hard to digest.



I would much rather have a proper Camille album than a side of vinyl dedicated to those downright terrible Bonnie Raitt songs... good grief she was smart to get the F out of there



I also do not understand why they would give us a DVD of that concert and not a download .. I don't have a DVD player anymore and these new Macs don't have a CD/DVD drive.....


So, I got to watch it with everyone else and now I can't.. which seems dumb


(unless I am missing something)



The book was great and I am thrilled to have it...


But I am getting more out of the Duane Tudhal book than I am from the actual box set


I don't need more celebrities blowing smoke up his ass...


I want to be educated on the period.. what was inspriring him, what was happening around him...


That book gives us that informaiton and then some



And....the merch that was released in the prince shop to accompany the release..... COME ON... I could not bring myself to buy a single thing ... it was awful.. just awful.... AWFUL!



I keep searching for the 1999 Superdeluxe but now it is more out of curiosity .. I can't bring myself to shell out the $ for it.


I would definiltey for Parade but no way for D&P



oh well I guess.



I am so glad the estate does it's own thing when I read comments like this, lol.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 07/01/21 10:22am

RudeNephew

avatar

For me it's Vinyl or Streaming only and I already have all of the original albums and singles on vinyl. I can stream the vault tracks when needed and most I already had in a digital format.

I recognize the care and quality of the SDE's but the ROI is just not there for me.

My 2 cents

Check out my music at www.RudeNephew.com

Funk Rock from Outer Space
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 07/01/21 10:38am

runningbear

Felt poorer last year, 1 in 1000 year wreaked havoc on my rental home, insurance did not cover, disaster relief received by town, but I did not fit criteria

Don't often listen to the indigo nights Live cd because it is with my books, not my CDs. Then hearing some of the SOTT CDs damaged because of sleeves in book, did not want to deal with returns.exchange.

Did pick up remastered Sign O the Times to replace my ancient LPs (sounds similar to my ears), but also grabbed Kate Bush's Whole Story and Rush's Chronicles in addition at a cost way less than SDE.

Very Happy to have 1999 SDE and the newer One Nite Alone boxset (never bought live set when it came out) though. Though D and P has some highlights, not overly excited about this music, looking forward to a basic CD of Welcome to America.

Will buy forthcoming SDE as I see fit (price point being a factor), big Prince fan, but believe only a limited # of must have songs missed official release (All My Dreams , If It''ll Make U Happy fit in my top 100 Prince songs ever)

merf
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 07/01/21 12:45pm

FrankieCoco1

I’m still so glad about this SOTT SDE. From when it was first announced, plus Questlove leaked most of the set and we had guessing games of what the missing tracks where. The fantastic radio shows and podcasts leading up to its release, such as Mary Anne Hobbs on BBC 6 Music to celebrate 33 and 1/3rd years since its release, with long interviews with Susan Rogers (with her mellifluous
voice and all) and Duane Tudahl. And then staying in receiving the box set through the post with its brown cardboard packaging having the SOTT emblem on it. I was lucky enough to receive it a day early, possibly due to pre-ordering through an independent store (thank you Burning Shed in the UK). I had no problem with scratched CDs or fitting the thing on my shelf, it all looked beautiful. Since that day of receipt, there’s probably not a week that I haven’t listened to a few tracks from it. In the first few hours, and days it was listening to the Vault tracks in order, plus taking in all y’all thoughts on here. Then it was to re-listen to them, replaying favourites from bootlegs or new tracks never heard before. Doing a forensic analysis of the live show. Taking it all in. Re-evaluating things when finding out from you all about the imperfections, such as the likely cobbled together ending of Rebirth of the Flesh, or other annoyances. It has been a journey and it continues. Just today I have started again to listen to disc 3 of the Vault tracks, with those that were intended for Bonnie Raitt. I’ve got the melody of I Need A Man throbbing in my brain.

So glad I bought it but it was expensive.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 07/01/21 3:47pm

RODSERLING

lustmealways said:

you know what group of people are so dumb? those folks that are like, "haha slow down! i barely have listened to the first two vault discs of the SOTT sde!!! can't keep up with this pace, haha!!!"

can you imagine?



Some people have to work to live, have a family, kids, etc.

Even one of the guy who makes the brillant Schkopi podcast, said he still didn't have time to get into the SOTT SDE. He had the money to buy it, Prince is his passion, he loves the material from this era,that's not the problem.

When I was a teenager I had time to listen to music and focus on it, reading the booklet. Now it s a mission.

I listened to the 3 discs vault like 15 times. I liked it, I m glad I found the time to do that. But there s so many albums from Prince I prefer to listen to!
Now most of us have to make choices, we re not teenagers anymorr.
Last time I watched a movie in one time was during the first shutdown IIRC.
[Edited 7/1/21 15:49pm]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 07/01/21 3:53pm

lustmealways

avatar

yeah too bad, get it all out, they need the money now anyway. it'll be there whenever these group of people decide to find the time to listen, and the people who care enough will be there day one

anyway

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 07/01/21 3:54pm

RODSERLING

lustmealways said:

the size and cost of the sott sde book (cc: udo) was bullshit, the awful "deluxe" w2a edition is also bullshit. they're making the fucking packaging bigger when they should be adding more cd's, stick to the 1999 sde form factor for the cd release.



And what was the point of a 60 dollars book bragging about how great the lyrics of the album are, without presenting the lyrics itself? I d like someone ask them next time there s an interview of the estate, etc. Why they never include lyrics.

I bet that will be the same shit with W2A. The booklet will tell you how great, political and sel--conscious the lyrics are, without printing them.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 07/01/21 6:27pm

SoulAlive

If we want to keep getting these SDEs,we need to support and buy the ones that are released.Otherwise,the estate will stop releasing these sets,thinking that it’s just not worth it.As fans,we have to show that there is a big demand for these things.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 07/01/21 9:16pm

ForceofNature

RODSERLING said:

And what was the point of a 60 dollars book bragging about how great the lyrics of the album are, without presenting the lyrics itself?

I would imagine people shelling out as much money for the set as they do, they would know the lyrics of the album already anyways

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 07/01/21 10:29pm

Phase3

ForceofNature said:



RODSERLING said:


And what was the point of a 60 dollars book bragging about how great the lyrics of the album are, without presenting the lyrics itself?

I would imagine people shelling out as much money for the set as they do, they would know the lyrics of the album already anyways


Would be great to get the lyrics for the unreleased tracks that are included
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 07/02/21 3:45am

RODSERLING

ForceofNature said:



RODSERLING said:


And what was the point of a 60 dollars book bragging about how great the lyrics of the album are, without presenting the lyrics itself?

I would imagine people shelling out as much money for the set as they do, they would know the lyrics of the album already anyways




In fact in my original copy of SOTT, the second booklet was missing.
In the french Violet Schkopi podcast, they also regularly complaining about the lack of lyrics in the Prince booklets, especially in the SDE.

And my point is that it s beyond ludicrous to make a book bragging uselessly about how the lyrics are great and just not printing them. Because not everybody understands them, I m not even talking about the cultural references unknown to non- americans.
An explanation of the lyrics would have been great, instead of the Dave Chappelle monologue.

Moreover, you seem to ignore there was 45 unreleased tracks, and the lyrics of most of them are missing. The handwritten lyrics were cool, sometimes unreadable, but it's ok.
But when you can't find the handwritten lyrics, please just print them, or stop bragging about it in a useless costly book.
[Edited 7/2/21 3:45am]
[Edited 7/2/21 3:47am]
[Edited 7/2/21 3:47am]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 07/02/21 3:45am

Vannormal

avatar

LoveGalore said:

DotsofU said:

I bought SOTT Superdeluxe and thought it would be heavenly...

And parts of it are......

But I think they should have narrowed down those vault tracks...

There are too many and at least in my opinion... many of them suck (do not come for me, it is just my opinion)

I guess I was in the camp of 'release everything'.. but man, this was dense....

Maybe when I was a kid, I had time to get lost in everything "Prince" but I don't have that kind of time anymore and I found it hard to digest.

I would much rather have a proper Camille album than a side of vinyl dedicated to those downright terrible Bonnie Raitt songs... good grief she was smart to get the F out of there

I also do not understand why they would give us a DVD of that concert and not a download .. I don't have a DVD player anymore and these new Macs don't have a CD/DVD drive.....

So, I got to watch it with everyone else and now I can't.. which seems dumb

(unless I am missing something)

The book was great and I am thrilled to have it...

But I am getting more out of the Duane Tudhal book than I am from the actual box set

I don't need more celebrities blowing smoke up his ass...

I want to be educated on the period.. what was inspriring him, what was happening around him...

That book gives us that informaiton and then some

And....the merch that was released in the prince shop to accompany the release..... COME ON... I could not bring myself to buy a single thing ... it was awful.. just awful.... AWFUL!

I keep searching for the 1999 Superdeluxe but now it is more out of curiosity .. I can't bring myself to shell out the $ for it.

I would definiltey for Parade but no way for D&P

oh well I guess.

I am so glad the estate does it's own thing when I read comments like this, lol.

-

Exactly.

smile

-

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves.
And wiser people so full of doubts"
(Bertrand Russsell 1872-1972)
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 07/02/21 3:49am

RODSERLING

Phase3 said:

ForceofNature said:



RODSERLING said:


And what was the point of a 60 dollars book bragging about how great the lyrics of the album are, without presenting the lyrics itself?

I would imagine people shelling out as much money for the set as they do, they would know the lyrics of the album already anyways


Would be great to get the lyrics for the unreleased tracks that are included


I think he just bought the 3CD version, so he didn't know there was 45 unreleased tracks. But it's ok, I said we don't judge here biggrin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 07/02/21 1:34pm

ForceofNature

RODSERLING said:

Phase3 said:
Would be great to get the lyrics for the unreleased tracks that are included
I think he just bought the 3CD version, so he didn't know there was 45 unreleased tracks. But it's ok, I said we don't judge here biggrin

I am merely a Super Deluxe owner with two working ears so I don't need them written out to know what they are lol. I can transcribe the lyrics to the Vault disks though if anyone needs help with it, I don't judge here either smile

[Edited 7/2/21 13:44pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 3 123>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Who didn't buy SOTT SDE and why?