independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Sign O' the Times deluxe 120 pg book discussion
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 09/24/20 12:10pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Sign O' the Times deluxe 120 pg book discussion





The Super Deluxe Edition set also features a 120-page hardcover book containing Prince's previously unseen handwritten lyrics for many of the songs from the era, including the hits "U Got The Look," "I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man," and "Hot Thing," iconic unseen images from the era taken by Prince's primary photographer in the mid-1980s to early 90s, Jeff Katz, plus images of archive assets including original analog tape reels and studio tracking sheets.

The Super Deluxe Edition book is completed with brand-new liner notes by Prince's creative peers and friends Dave Chappelle (in conversation with photographer Mathieu Bitton) and Lenny Kravitz; Prince's longtime engineer Susan Rogers; Daphne A. Brooks, Professor of African American Studies, American Studies, and Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies at Yale University; Minneapolis radio host and author Andrea Swensson, host of the Official Prince Podcast; and Prince scholar and author Duane Tudahl.





91voNi9THRL._SL1500_.jpg

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
don't follow me if you're easily triggered...
https://prince.org/msg/7/464433 9.24.2020
if you ever try the lotus position
Try it while you're being strangled
Do U understand what I'm saying?
#IDEFINEME
For the mystery of iniquit
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 09/24/20 12:43pm

maplenpg

avatar

This was a big surprise for me. The book is beautiful. I can't wait to read it.

I stand with my legs!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 09/24/20 7:17pm

Shockedelicus

Absolutely beautiful stuff. This really is a deluxe edition for the ages. They're spoiling us.

That said, I can't wait for the contents of the book to end up on Wikipedia.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 09/25/20 6:00am

rlittler81

avatar

I jumped straight to the lyric sheets and Duane's liner notes. I'll read the rest later. Some really nice photos in there too.

3121... Don't U Wanna Come?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 09/25/20 7:34am

CoolMF

Ended up purchasing the digital for $80. Can someone clue me in on what's great about the book?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 09/25/20 7:42am

lion88

I only had a short impression so far. I really love the book. It is a great combination of interviews about Sign O The Times, with a.o Lenny Kravitz, a lot of great photo's of Prince taken during this area including the shoot for the album cover, photo's of written lyrics and the master tapes / reels.

I smiled when I saw the written lyrics of Starfish and Coffee, he first wrote Peepee and he changed it with red pencil to Coffee.

[Edited 9/25/20 7:57am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 09/25/20 11:13am

ThePersian

The book is beautifully designed and printed.

It's a really excellent job - and I hope that for ALL future releases this is the standard.

I'd even pay money for another 1999 SDE done in this format.

The book layout, choice and quality of prints (PRINCE! lol) are generally excellent.

Someone actually thought about the design choices in relation to the format, unlike the 1999SDE CD booklet.

Giving it a few more reads before I decide my thoughts on the written content.

The Earth is but one country and mankind its citizens.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 09/25/20 12:32pm

Dandroppedadim
e

ThePersian said:

The book is beautifully designed and printed.

It's a really excellent job - and I hope that for ALL future releases this is the standard.

I'd even pay money for another 1999 SDE done in this format.

Agreed (I mentioned this in another thread), All future SDE's to be in this format (and go back and re-do 1999). Imagine Purple Rain done like this!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 09/25/20 2:12pm

Aristotle

avatar

The official YouTube for SuperDeluxeEdition has an impressive unboxing that shows nearly all of the book. Check it out here.

© prince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 09/25/20 3:30pm

SPYZFAN1

Was very surprised (and happy) to see the book included in the Super CD version....I thought it was only going to be included in the vinyl version...The estate really went all out for this package.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 09/25/20 4:01pm

kingricefan

My book has been inserted/glued upside down.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 09/25/20 4:06pm

PennyPurple

avatar

kingricefan said:

My book has been inserted/glued upside down.

That would be a collectors item.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 09/25/20 4:07pm

lustmealways

avatar

i'm waiting for the scan
0 dollars in my hand

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 09/25/20 4:10pm

ThatWhiteDude

avatar

SPYZFAN1 said:

Was very surprised (and happy) to see the book included in the Super CD version....I thought it was only going to be included in the vinyl version...The estate really went all out for this package.


This! My package was so huge that I first thought they made a mistake, was really surprised to see that book, to say the least
"Like books and BLACK LIVES, Albums still MATTER."

Poppys, Shanon319, Number23, Kares. #lifttheban
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 09/25/20 4:10pm

lustmealways

avatar

ThatWhiteDude said:

My package was so huge

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 09/25/20 4:27pm

kingricefan

PennyPurple said:

kingricefan said:

My book has been inserted/glued upside down.

That would be a collectors item.

Possibly, but we have to see if/how many others have this with their copies. I thought about sending it back for a replacement but just don't want to deal with the hassle. I'm hunkering down for a Prince listening marathon.... biggrin

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 09/25/20 5:19pm

alandail

Is the super deluxe with the book a permanent release or a limited time? I'm streaming the album now and want to save the physical release for my wife to get me for chrsitmas. I'm hard to shop for.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 09/25/20 6:23pm

PennyPurple

avatar

kingricefan said:

PennyPurple said:

That would be a collectors item.

Possibly, but we have to see if/how many others have this with their copies. I thought about sending it back for a replacement but just don't want to deal with the hassle. I'm hunkering down for a Prince listening marathon.... biggrin

Oh heck no, I'd hang on to that.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 09/25/20 6:27pm

LoveGalore

alandail said:

Is the super deluxe with the book a permanent release or a limited time? I'm streaming the album now and want to save the physical release for my wife to get me for chrsitmas. I'm hard to shop for.



I ended up purchasing a second copy of the 1999 SDE as this was supposedly a one shot deal. I believe SOTT is to be the same so other frivolous nutjobs like me will also want to buy a "pristine" second copy.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 09/27/20 1:57pm

ThePersian

lustmealways said:

ThatWhiteDude said:

My package was so huge

Vicki didn't laugh at all...

The Earth is but one country and mankind its citizens.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 09/27/20 2:09pm

laytonian

PennyPurple said:

kingricefan said:

My book has been inserted/glued upside down.

That would be a collectors item.


As a long-time bookseller, it's just an error. It adds no value.
Beanie Babies are worthless now, too wink

Welcome to "the org", laytonian… come bathe with me.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 09/27/20 2:12pm

kingricefan

laytonian said:

PennyPurple said:

That would be a collectors item.


As a long-time bookseller, it's just an error. It adds no value.
Beanie Babies are worthless now, too wink

As a long time book buyer I also know that this type of thing adds no value to a book, unless there's a printing error with the typesetting itself, such as the true first printings of Steinbeck's East Of Eden with the 'byte' error. biggrin

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 09/27/20 3:44pm

funkbabyandthe
babysitters

I'd have gotten per Nielsen to write a piece
He did all the hard work for everyone else to benefit from

I'd also have gotten some writers from the 80s to do a piece
Neal karlen, Nelson George, that would have been very cool
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 09/27/20 3:49pm

WhisperingDand
elions

avatar

funkbabyandthebabysitters said:

I'd have gotten per Nielsen to write a piece He did all the hard work for everyone else to benefit from I'd also have gotten some writers from the 80s to do a piece Neal karlen, Nelson George, that would have been very cool

But we got Dave Chappelle! Surely there is no better authority on a 1987 masterwork than a dude who made fun of Prince in a five minute comedy sketch from 2004? It's getting me all geared up for the guy from SNL's "The Prince Show" Parade SDE essay.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 09/27/20 3:57pm

funkbabyandthe
babysitters

Truuuuue
I'm sure many ppl who were Chappelle fans saw he was writing a piece for this release, and immediately thought, fuck, a mere £150 for an essay by Dave?! Count me in!

Seriously though, I just hate coffee table books! They are very cumbersome. It's just too fucking bulky. All I'm.going to do is put the discs plastic sleeves so they dont have ti ve in that huge book all the time. And then I basically have no use fir the box anymore other than to sit on the shelf. So hopefully they only make it this size for this release.

Am I the only one who wishes the new sde cover was the normal sott cover but without prince on it, i.e just the great background? It's one of my fave all time album covers. Such a great backdrop.
[Edited 9/27/20 15:59pm]
[Edited 9/27/20 16:00pm]
[Edited 9/27/20 16:00pm]
[Edited 9/27/20 16:09pm]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 09/27/20 6:05pm

lustmealways

avatar

hearing this book is "a wealth of information treasures"

going to need someone to post all highlights, thank you

better yet why hasn't anyone scanned it yet. omg.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 09/28/20 1:54am

Vannormal

avatar

kingricefan said:

My book has been inserted/glued upside down.


-
If thát isn’t a ráre item !
-
"...no matter what, all will be fine, always."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 09/28/20 2:00am

Vannormal

avatar

funkbabyandthebabysitters said:

Truuuuue
I'm sure many ppl who were Chappelle fans saw he was writing a piece for this release, and immediately thought, fuck, a mere £150 for an essay by Dave?! Count me in!

Seriously though, I just hate coffee table books! They are very cumbersome. It's just too fucking bulky. All I'm.going to do is put the discs plastic sleeves so they dont have ti ve in that huge book all the time. And then I basically have no use fir the box anymore other than to sit on the shelf. So hopefully they only make it this size for this release.

Am I the only one who wishes the new sde cover was the normal sott cover but without prince on it, i.e just the great background? It's one of my fave all time album covers. Such a great backdrop.
[Edited 9/27/20 15:59pm]
[Edited 9/27/20 16:00pm]
[Edited 9/27/20 16:00pm]
[Edited 9/27/20 16:09pm]

-
too fucking bulky...
Really ?
-
"...no matter what, all will be fine, always."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 09/28/20 2:19am

funkbabyandthe
babysitters

#grumpyoldman

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 09/28/20 12:16pm

motherfunka

avatar

Not sure why they added Duane's detail on all the Vault tracks, but didn't include them on the songs that were actually on SOTT. I love all the new Jeff Katz pictures!

TRUE BLUE
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Sign O' the Times deluxe 120 pg book discussion