independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > SIGN O’ THE TIMES SUPER DELUXE EDITION! - Scheduled for September 18th 2020
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 19 of 27 « First<151617181920212223>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #540 posted 06/25/20 1:04pm

Chappers72

Disc 6 is killing me....
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #541 posted 06/25/20 1:16pm

databank

avatar

parker said:

lavendardrummachine said:



Well that is how the vault defines it. They list a Crystal Ball as an unreleased set, and the Crystal Ball that was released as a vault collection of outtakes generally from two time periods. There are other details in their descriptions that help the perception too. Plus being a non-big label release some people regarded online in the same class as the NPG music club stuff, or even the Versace collections. I don't remember it being promoted as a collection instead of a new record though, maybe the press did it too, but it opens with Dream Factory, and it's not the Dream Factory record so...

It opens with Crystal Ball. It doesn't matter how it was promoted way back then, what matters is the estate views it as canon, and not some bastard outtake collection like so many of us have viewed it since it was released.

That, and yeah of course at the time it was promoted as a collection of "previously unreleased" material from the vault, but still it was an album, it was sequenced in a certain, very intentional way (not just chronologically), some tracks were purposedly edited, a general tone was given to the record as a whole (clearly it was some sort of party record).

.

After 22 years I just cannot at all see it as a random assemblage of tracks, I've loved it so much for so long, it just flows so naturally in my mind that it's a whole, and these mid-80's and TGE-era tracks totally belong there for me by now.

.

But admitedly how I feel about it doesn't matter, in the end Prince released it (and it was WIDELY available albeit for a short time, I bought it first on release in a big record store chain in France: they had it, everyone who lived in a big city could have it, then a second time on the tour so I could have Kamasutra on CD), he took responsibility for it, he featured it as the 1998 album in his online discographies in the old NPGMC days, and the estate respects this and treat it as an album as well and I mean, what are they supposed to do: disassemble it and claim it never existed and redirect its content to reissues? That'd be barbaric!! Now release the alt. mixes yeah, anytime, please!! But there'll be room for these later on, the diggin' of the vault is only at its beginning.

.

I truly wonder if CBII was compiled before being shelved. What a treat this would be!!

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #542 posted 06/25/20 1:19pm

lavendardrumma
chine

parker said:

It opens with Crystal Ball. It doesn't matter how it was promoted way back then, what matters is the estate views it as canon, and not some bastard outtake collection like so many of us have viewed it since it was released.


My bad, Dream Factory is the second track.

I mean, I'm not arguing with that, just explaining that it's not just cognitive dissonance, there is a reason why fans view it that way.

Plus the Estate hasn't said anything, we're just reading into their releases. What benefit would it have for them to treat is as anything but a full released album?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #543 posted 06/25/20 1:23pm

KlyphIsBackAga
in

avatar

UPDATE for people who pre-ordered on Amazon US early: your order should now link to the new page. It doesn't show the tracklist or anything yet but it's a step!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #544 posted 06/25/20 1:25pm

ForceofNature

KlyphIsBackAgain said:

UPDATE for people who pre-ordered on Amazon US early: your order should now link to the new page. It doesn't show the tracklist or anything yet but it's a step!

I am seeing that too - progress! I was mostly worried that somehow the pre-orders would get voided since it got taken down but thankfully it looks like the orders are still placed and will link to the updated pages once they get the information

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #545 posted 06/25/20 1:26pm

BlueShakooo

databank said:


I truly wonder if CBII was compiled before being shelved. What a treat this would be!!


As far as I remember Hans-Martin Buff said in an interview, that Prince quickly lost interest in the CB2 project, and that it was never finished.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #546 posted 06/25/20 1:30pm

motherfunka

avatar

OnlyNDaUsa said:

lavendardrummachine said:

Can we talk about the Blue version of the cover?

Looks like they just changed changed the color on his clothes, and the drums/scarves.

What's that about I wonder? Maybe the blue was original? Sorta interesting he didn't go with peach instead of the yellow.

Blue was the orginal... changed to fit the "Peach and Black" theme.

I think the peach was the original. The car grill and face that is sitting on the Parade amps is the actual color in the peach one. In the blue photo the car grill looks purple and so does the face, which they're not.

TRUE BLUE
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #547 posted 06/25/20 1:31pm

Kares

avatar

databank said:

FrankieCoco1 said:

Single Mixes & Edits (CD 3) Sign O’ The Times (7” single edit) La, La, La, He, He, Hee (7” single edit) La, La, La, He, He, Hee (Highly Explosive) (7” single edit) If I Was Your Girlfriend (7” single edit) Shockadelica (“If I Was Your Girlfriend” B-side) Shockadelica (12” long version) U Got the Look (Long Look) (12” edit) Housequake (7” edit) Housequake (7 Minutes MoQuake) I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man (Fade 7” edit) Hot Thing (7” single edit) Hot Thing (Extended Remix) Hot Thing (Dub Version) https://store.prince.com/...vd?cp=null Is this a typo on the prince site? 2 7” single edits of la,la...If not then it means the long version isn’t on this set!

The intern strikes again lol lol

Yeah of course it's a typo. Shouldn't happen though.

I also wonder if Cocoa Boys is a typo as well, and if "Vault" is a typo since on 1999 Deluxe it was "Vault Tracks".

.

[Edited 6/25/20 11:38am]

.

The box of the 2" multitrack tape (no. 171-4) appear to say 'The Coco Boys', but I admit it's hard to read.

.

[Edited 6/25/20 13:43pm]

Friends don't let friends clap on 1 and 3.

The Paisley Park Vault spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/zzWHrU
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #548 posted 06/25/20 1:31pm

lurker316

avatar

BartVanHemelen said:

IstenSzek said:


wait, there IS no digital edition eek


.

For crying out loud, try taking a look at the first post of https://prince.org/msg/7/463301 .

.

Sheesh, the current absence of an Amazon link does not mean it doesn't exist. Stop fucking panicking about incomplete info.

It's ironic that you contine to be rude people who make mistakes after you made a mistake earlier in this thread (when you conflated film degradation with film resolution).




  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #549 posted 06/25/20 1:34pm

TheEnglishGent

avatar

DenDen said:

glamlife2 said:

For those of us outside the US, the 7" box is better to order from Third Man as they only charge $20 shipping. Prince Estate Store charges over $60! Of course we might get hit with import charges as well.

https://thirdmanstore.com...-boxed-set

What I would like to know is why on Amazon US the SD with 9 discs/dvd is 147 US dollars but in Amazon UK is 147 GBP?

No exchange rate for us Brits?


Amazon US price is currently $149.98.

$149.98 = £118.94, which is the direct exchange rate using xe.com for the conversion.


US price doesn't include sales tax. Add vat to that price and a directly converted UK price becomes £142.72. US tax is whatever applies to the state/county it's purchased in.

Amazon UK price is £143.99, which seems close enough to a direct conversion to me.

RIP sad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #550 posted 06/25/20 1:41pm

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

FragileUndertow said:

OnlyNDaUsa said:

the Amazon listing for the 8CD set sat "Number of Discs: 8" no mention of a DVD?

you are right. and the track list is gone

probably an error. i hope

[Edited 6/25/20 13:00pm]

the vinyl link says 14 disks...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BMXT2SK

The Spike is Real Wear a Mask (this is not the 2nd Wave)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #551 posted 06/25/20 1:44pm

VaultCurator

avatar

OK people. I think there's either some hidden tracks on the Vault discs or some tracks that have been removed.

Going by the running times on Qobuz (page now removed)

CD4 total running time: 1h 14m 57s
CD5 total running time: 1h 15m 53s
CD6 total running time: 1h 07m 11s

So CD6 is 7-8 minutes shorter than the other vault discs, and side 12 on the vinyl only contains a single track (which is about 7 mins long).

-----

According to the numbered tracks from Questlove's leak, all the numbers chronologically match until we get to this section of the set.

71 Big Tall Wall (Version 2) 2020 Remaster
72 A Place In Heaven (Lisa Vocal) 2020 Remaster
73 Wonderful Day (12" Mix) [2020 Remaster]
...
76 Strange Relationship (1987 Shep Pettibone Club Mix)
77 Intro / Sign O The Times (Live)

So what happened to tracks 74 & 75?

Edit for typo

[Edited 6/25/20 13:45pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #552 posted 06/25/20 1:45pm

BartVanHemelen

avatar

Most sites just rehash the press release, this site goes the extra mile: https://theseconddisc.com...d-box-set/

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #553 posted 06/25/20 1:45pm

FragileUnderto
w

avatar

lurker316 said:



wait, there IS no digital edition



I'm sure you can find it on different sites
Note the video is not on any digital release
Here is one

FragileUndertow said:

www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/sign-o-the-times-super-deluxe-prince/peug2r9rz7obc



Hi-Res (24-Bit) : $111.99


CD : $96.99



For those who want digital downloads and save some money

Cant believe my purple psychedelic pimp slap pimp2

And I descend from grace, In arms of undertow
I will take my place, In the great below
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #554 posted 06/25/20 1:46pm

SquirrelMeat

avatar

motherfunka said:

OnlyNDaUsa said:

Blue was the orginal... changed to fit the "Peach and Black" theme.

I think the peach was the original. The car grill and face that is sitting on the Parade amps is the actual color in the peach one. In the blue photo the car grill looks purple and so does the face, which they're not.


Its just a different filter on the lens.

My guess is was one photo session but with a change of outfit and drums to blue. It's the same shade of blue as the heart sticker on the original album, so he obviously like both the peach and blue, had cloud guitars done to match and incorporated both colours togther for the SOTT release.

.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #555 posted 06/25/20 1:46pm

Rimshottbob

Holy cow that's a lot of money!!!

Oh, well. We live once.

Just preordered and paid for mine from my local record store. That 13LP set is going to look (and sure better sound!!) sweet, right next to that 1999 box set....

I have no interest in the singles box, that would just collect dust.... cool that they're releasing it for those that are interested though.... this set is going to be insane!

[Edited 6/25/20 13:48pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #556 posted 06/25/20 1:55pm

VaultCurator

avatar

OnlyNDaUsa said:

FragileUndertow said:

you are right. and the track list is gone

probably an error. i hope

[Edited 6/25/20 13:00pm]

the vinyl link says 14 disks...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BMXT2SK


13 records, 1 DVD wink

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #557 posted 06/25/20 2:03pm

mediumdry

Kares said:

databank said:

The intern strikes again lol lol

Yeah of course it's a typo. Shouldn't happen though.

I also wonder if Cocoa Boys is a typo as well, and if "Vault" is a typo since on 1999 Deluxe it was "Vault Tracks".

The box of the 2" multitrack tape (no. 171-4) appear to say 'The Coco Boys', but I admit it's hard to read.

.

The only one of the boys that actually released some stuff wrote it Coco

Paisley Park is in your heart - Love Is Here!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #558 posted 06/25/20 2:06pm

databank

avatar

BlueShakooo said:

databank said:

I truly wonder if CBII was compiled before being shelved. What a treat this would be!!

As far as I remember Hans-Martin Buff said in an interview, that Prince quickly lost interest in the CB2 project, and that it was never finished.

Damn sad

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #559 posted 06/25/20 2:07pm

databank

avatar

Kares said:

databank said:

The intern strikes again lol lol

Yeah of course it's a typo. Shouldn't happen though.

I also wonder if Cocoa Boys is a typo as well, and if "Vault" is a typo since on 1999 Deluxe it was "Vault Tracks".

.

[Edited 6/25/20 11:38am]

.

The box of the 2" multitrack tape (no. 171-4) appear to say 'The Coco Boys', but I admit it's hard to read.

.

[Edited 6/25/20 13:43pm]

As far as we ever know it was always Coco, hence the question. Most likely it's a typo, and I can only hope for those who spend big bucks on the physical release that the typo won't be on the booklet, too lol

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #560 posted 06/25/20 2:07pm

JAYJOE

VaultCurator said:

OK people. I think there's either some hidden tracks on the Vault discs or some tracks that have been removed.

Going by the running times on Qobuz (page now removed)

CD4 total running time: 1h 14m 57s
CD5 total running time: 1h 15m 53s
CD6 total running time: 1h 07m 11s

So CD6 is 7-8 minutes shorter than the other vault discs, and side 12 on the vinyl only contains a single track (which is about 7 mins long).

-----

According to the numbered tracks from Questlove's leak, all the numbers chronologically match until we get to this section of the set.

71 Big Tall Wall (Version 2) 2020 Remaster
72 A Place In Heaven (Lisa Vocal) 2020 Remaster
73 Wonderful Day (12" Mix) [2020 Remaster]
...
76 Strange Relationship (1987 Shep Pettibone Club Mix)
77 Intro / Sign O The Times (Live)

So what happened to tracks 74 & 75?

Edit for typo

[Edited 6/25/20 13:45pm]

Good point!, Could this be the "2 missing things" that we would be annoyed by?

he might have better luck if he was drummin with his Dick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #561 posted 06/25/20 2:08pm

parker

databank said:

parker said:

It opens with Crystal Ball. It doesn't matter how it was promoted way back then, what matters is the estate views it as canon, and not some bastard outtake collection like so many of us have viewed it since it was released.

That, and yeah of course at the time it was promoted as a collection of "previously unreleased" material from the vault, but still it was an album, it was sequenced in a certain, very intentional way (not just chronologically), some tracks were purposedly edited, a general tone was given to the record as a whole (clearly it was some sort of party record).

.

After 22 years I just cannot at all see it as a random assemblage of tracks, I've loved it so much for so long, it just flows so naturally in my mind that it's a whole, and these mid-80's and TGE-era tracks totally belong there for me by now.

.

But admitedly how I feel about it doesn't matter, in the end Prince released it (and it was WIDELY available albeit for a short time, I bought it first on release in a big record store chain in France: they had it, everyone who lived in a big city could have it, then a second time on the tour so I could have Kamasutra on CD), he took responsibility for it, he featured it as the 1998 album in his online discographies in the old NPGMC days, and the estate respects this and treat it as an album as well and I mean, what are they supposed to do: disassemble it and claim it never existed and redirect its content to reissues? That'd be barbaric!! Now release the alt. mixes yeah, anytime, please!! But there'll be room for these later on, the diggin' of the vault is only at its beginning.

.

I truly wonder if CBII was compiled before being shelved. What a treat this would be!!

My thoughts exactly! I see somebody already replied that CBII wasn't finished, but at the very least, there was a list of songs compiled for the voting...and hopefully edits of Extra and Lust that exclude the rape reference that could be part of a CB98 Vault Discs.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #562 posted 06/25/20 2:11pm

222

lustmealways said:

i once again am dumbfounded by the fact that the 3 CD offering is the remaster+the edits disc as opposed to the remaster + a vault disc, or even a "best of" vault disc.

who in the hell is buying that.

Some people don't want what the artist chose not to release, thinking it is subpar.

Most hardcore fans want everything they can get their hands on though.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #563 posted 06/25/20 2:12pm

FragileUnderto
w

avatar

JAYJOE said:



VaultCurator said:


OK people. I think there's either some hidden tracks on the Vault discs or some tracks that have been removed.

Going by the running times on Qobuz (page now removed)

CD4 total running time: 1h 14m 57s
CD5 total running time: 1h 15m 53s
CD6 total running time: 1h 07m 11s

So CD6 is 7-8 minutes shorter than the other vault discs, and side 12 on the vinyl only contains a single track (which is about 7 mins long).

-----

According to the numbered tracks from Questlove's leak, all the numbers chronologically match until we get to this section of the set.

71 Big Tall Wall (Version 2) 2020 Remaster
72 A Place In Heaven (Lisa Vocal) 2020 Remaster
73 Wonderful Day (12" Mix) [2020 Remaster]
...
76 Strange Relationship (1987 Shep Pettibone Club Mix)
77 Intro / Sign O The Times (Live)


So what happened to tracks 74 & 75?




Edit for typo


[Edited 6/25/20 13:45pm]



Good point!, Could this be the "2 missing things" that we would be annoyed by?



:hmm2: Amazon did remove the track list lol
Cant believe my purple psychedelic pimp slap pimp2

And I descend from grace, In arms of undertow
I will take my place, In the great below
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #564 posted 06/25/20 2:18pm

VaultCurator

avatar

FragileUndertow said:

JAYJOE said:

Good point!, Could this be the "2 missing things" that we would be annoyed by?

hmmm Amazon did remove the track list lol


True, but the same track list is on Prince.com. Maybe only lists with running times are being taken down (as was Qobuz). Are they trying to hide something?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #565 posted 06/25/20 2:22pm

222

dsimp8 said:

My only wish is that,if I buy the CDs,I would want the full size book that comes with it and not one the size of the CDs.

The book is the same size for both, 12" x 12"

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #566 posted 06/25/20 2:28pm

dsimp8

Can someone provide a direct link to Apple Music or will it be out in the US later? I can't seem to find it on the site anywhere.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #567 posted 06/25/20 2:29pm

NewpowerScarfo

avatar

Cool, as promised I jumped on that pre order like a wild beast. Hopefully the next classic album to get the Super Deluxe Edition treatment will be Around the World in a Day.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #568 posted 06/25/20 2:30pm

222

Strive said:

The digital version on Amazon MP3 is marked as $75

I wouldn't waste my money on that.

The whole thing will be on YT and well, -snip-, assuming you're not in it for the physical release.

[Edited 6/25/20 14:35pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #569 posted 06/25/20 2:30pm

FragileUnderto
w

avatar

VaultCurator said:

FragileUndertow said:

hmmm Amazon did remove the track list lol


True, but the same track list is on Prince.com. Maybe only lists with running times are being taken down (as was Qobuz). Are they trying to hide something?

Yup the track list and page(s) are gone on qobiz

Good thing i grabbed the list before it was pulled lol

Cant believe my purple psychedelic pimp slap pimp2

And I descend from grace, In arms of undertow
I will take my place, In the great below
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 19 of 27 « First<151617181920212223>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > SIGN O’ THE TIMES SUPER DELUXE EDITION! - Scheduled for September 18th 2020