independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Wendy Melvoin on the origins of "Mountains"
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 14 of 18 « First<9101112131415161718>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #390 posted 05/29/20 7:44am

GaryMF

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:

herb4 said:


Not with that film dragging it down.

PR wasn't a great movie but compared to whatever the fuck UTCM was it was the Godather.

[Edited 5/28/20 15:21pm]

Hear what I actually said. If Prince put the same level of time into UTCM... remember Purple Rain evolved from the 2nd Coming(late 81? early 82) the attention put to the protege bands Vanity 6 and the Time. the Purple notebook, the work and time that ended up in 1984 PR started at the end of the Controversy era 1982 1983 1984. PR was a great movie for what it was and intended to be.

Now look at the video quality of PR vs Parade. Parade is batting 9's vs PR 5's. The artistic quality of what we saw happening and hearing and seeing/style etc with The Family, Romance 1600, Parade etc UTCM could have been a huge success. I'm not talking about the 'vanity' project of UTCM. The movie should have had band/performance scenes. A different movie. And I still love UTCM lol because it was a true essence of Prince(channelling Morris Day)

Totally agree! I love UCTM! It could've been done better though.

.

.

FYI Prince was Channelling Morris Day whom he Prince taught to be the "Morris Day" persona, so it's a bit of reflexive channeling.

.

.

Also, I remember it was announced that Sheila E was going to headline a tour with BOTH The Family and Mazarati opening....... when I read that I almost creamed my pants! smile. Alas, it was never to be sad

rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #391 posted 05/29/20 10:12am

mediumdry

Love the song, I wish there was a leak of the multitrack of it, like with Let's Go Crazy. Having the 12" and then removing all of the voices to just have a suite of instrumental music..

.

By which I do not want to join the discussion of who did what when and who was important in their contribution or who was not. Personally, I dig W&L's work and I have no problem with Wendy being the "band leader" in the Revolution shows. Doesn't mean she was the best thing that ever happened to Prince. Prince used people to suck as much inspiration from them as he could. From everyone around him. Wasn't always positive, but at times it was. Mountains definitely is an example of the positive for me. I don't care if it sold or not. Don't even care if Prince liked the song or not. razz

Paisley Park is in your heart - Love Is Here!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #392 posted 05/29/20 10:28am

ChocolateBox31
21

avatar

violetcrush said:

donnyenglish said:

My point is Morris had many significant independent contributions to Prince's music in the form of The Time material and on many Prince tracks. Anything Wendy did was with Lisa. Lisa defers to Wendy, but we all know Lisa is the one with the better chops and who was there for a lot longer.

Yes, Lisa was in the band longer, and Prince loved the way she played. However, he also loved the way Wendy played guitar. At the '86 Parade show at MSG, duirng an insanely funky Controversy/Mutiny mash-up with Wendy soloing a funky riff on guitar, Prince exclaims, "that's a white girl y'all!!" He loved the way she played. She had the funk sense, but she could also play unique extended chords. She's a great guitarist.

rolleyes

"4 all of us, life is death without adventure,& adventure only comes 2 those who are willing 2 b daring & take chances."prince 1985
"eye feel that we're on the brink of something. It is going 2 B strict and wild and pretty" prince 1986
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #393 posted 05/29/20 10:30am

GaryMF

avatar

I love this song, always have.

.

.

But when I tried to play it, it turns out it's just 3 chords...... the whole song----until the interlude at the end---- is just one riff. Plus Eric's little sax riffs.

.

.

It's crazy how Prince was able to take simple chords and turn them into a magical song.

.

.

Wendy also said in in an interview that the musical interlude at the end was Prince's creation and that it is very complex harmonically and he likley didn't even know what he was doing technically rather instinctively he just "knew to do it" which is part of his genius.

.

.

It bothers me that they don't do that part now live. (they really should do the whole 12" version esp if Eric is with them!)

rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #394 posted 05/29/20 1:31pm

SoulAlive

GaryMF said:

Also, I remember it was announced that Sheila E was going to headline a tour with BOTH The Family and Mazarati opening....... when I read that I almost creamed my pants! smile. Alas, it was never to be sad

I remember hearing that,too smile It was to be called 'The Paisley Park Revue'.....a tour that would showcase Sheila E,The Family and Mazarati.Seemed like a great idea.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #395 posted 05/29/20 1:41pm

ChocolateBox31
21

avatar

SoulAlive said:

GaryMF said:

Also, I remember it was announced that Sheila E was going to headline a tour with BOTH The Family and Mazarati opening....... when I read that I almost creamed my pants! smile. Alas, it was never to be sad

I remember hearing that,too smile It was to be called 'The Paisley Park Revue'.....a tour that would showcase Sheila E,The Family and Mazarati.Seemed like a great idea.

Mazarati(whom I saw live at The Palace back in 1986 when they released their debut album) was REALLY good live! I had the pleasure of meeting them backstage. Of course I asked them where was Prince(r.i.p.).

"4 all of us, life is death without adventure,& adventure only comes 2 those who are willing 2 b daring & take chances."prince 1985
"eye feel that we're on the brink of something. It is going 2 B strict and wild and pretty" prince 1986
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #396 posted 05/29/20 2:05pm

GaryMF

avatar

ChocolateBox3121 said:

SoulAlive said:

I remember hearing that,too smile It was to be called 'The Paisley Park Revue'.....a tour that would showcase Sheila E,The Family and Mazarati.Seemed like a great idea.

Mazarati(whom I saw live at The Palace back in 1986 when they released their debut album) was REALLY good live! I had the pleasure of meeting them backstage. Of course I asked them where was Prince(r.i.p.).

Was Sheila there? There used ot be some footage of a Mazarati concert and Sheila was onstage kind of directing them through Erotic City I think.

rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #397 posted 05/29/20 7:27pm

herb4

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:

herb4 said:


Not with that film dragging it down.

PR wasn't a great movie but compared to whatever the fuck UTCM was it was the Godather.

[Edited 5/28/20 15:21pm]

Hear what I actually said. If Prince put the same level of time into UTCM... remember Purple Rain evolved from the 2nd Coming(late 81? early 82) the attention put to the protege bands Vanity 6 and the Time. the Purple notebook, the work and time that ended up in 1984 PR started at the end of the Controversy era 1982 1983 1984. PR was a great movie for what it was and intended to be.

Now look at the video quality of PR vs Parade. Parade is batting 9's vs PR 5's. The artistic quality of what we saw happening and hearing and seeing/style etc with The Family, Romance 1600, Parade etc UTCM could have been a huge success. I'm not talking about the 'vanity' project of UTCM. The movie should have had band/performance scenes. A different movie. And I still love UTCM lol because it was a true essence of Prince(channelling Morris Day)


That's cool. I read what you wrote. You're allowed to like the movie. I don't think all the work in the world could have made that script into something good though.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #398 posted 05/29/20 7:28pm

herb4

avatar

GaryMF said:

I love this song, always have.

.

.

But when I tried to play it, it turns out it's just 3 chords...... the whole song----until the interlude at the end---- is just one riff. Plus Eric's little sax riffs.

.

.

It's crazy how Prince was able to take simple chords and turn them into a magical song.

.

.

Wendy also said in in an interview that the musical interlude at the end was Prince's creation and that it is very complex harmonically and he likley didn't even know what he was doing technically rather instinctively he just "knew to do it" which is part of his genius.

.

.

It bothers me that they don't do that part now live. (they really should do the whole 12" version esp if Eric is with them!)


A lot of his songs are like that though. Quite simple in struture - beats and chord progressions - but made from the clever layers he adds.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #399 posted 05/30/20 8:58am

GaryMF

avatar

herb4 said:

GaryMF said:

I love this song, always have.

.

.

But when I tried to play it, it turns out it's just 3 chords...... the whole song----until the interlude at the end---- is just one riff. Plus Eric's little sax riffs.

.

.

It's crazy how Prince was able to take simple chords and turn them into a magical song.

.

.

Wendy also said in in an interview that the musical interlude at the end was Prince's creation and that it is very complex harmonically and he likley didn't even know what he was doing technically rather instinctively he just "knew to do it" which is part of his genius.

.

.

It bothers me that they don't do that part now live. (they really should do the whole 12" version esp if Eric is with them!)


A lot of his songs are like that though. Quite simple in struture - beats and chord progressions - but made from the clever layers he adds.

True. This one has a very cool Linn beat that sounds deceptive cuz it's just 1-2-1-2 but has all the extra accents or echoes.

.

.

I can't really make out what the layers of guitars and keyboards are doing even though they're just 3 chords, but that is the genius of it.

.

.

I still think they should do the ending. I think somewhere sometime (Maye the birthday 86 show?) the expanded Revoultion with Eric and Matt did do the extended version with all the horn parts.

rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #400 posted 05/30/20 11:02pm

slyjackson

Extended version is the version that matters, it's so fuckin joyful, such a joy to listen specially just before it gets dark when the sun is hiding away.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #401 posted 05/30/20 11:12pm

icecreamcastle
777

herb4 said:



OldFriends4Sale said:




herb4 said:




Not with that film dragging it down.

PR wasn't a great movie but compared to whatever the fuck UTCM was it was the Godather.


[Edited 5/28/20 15:21pm]




Hear what I actually said. If Prince put the same level of time into UTCM... remember Purple Rain evolved from the 2nd Coming(late 81? early 82) the attention put to the protege bands Vanity 6 and the Time. the Purple notebook, the work and time that ended up in 1984 PR started at the end of the Controversy era 1982 1983 1984. PR was a great movie for what it was and intended to be.

Now look at the video quality of PR vs Parade. Parade is batting 9's vs PR 5's. The artistic quality of what we saw happening and hearing and seeing/style etc with The Family, Romance 1600, Parade etc UTCM could have been a huge success. I'm not talking about the 'vanity' project of UTCM. The movie should have had band/performance scenes. A different movie. And I still love UTCM lol because it was a true essence of Prince(channelling Morris Day)




That's cool. I read what you wrote. You're allowed to like the movie. I don't think all the work in the world could have made that script into something good though.



I agree with you. I mean, I like UTCM because it's a movie that Prince stars in and I love seeing him on screen, but you know it's bad when as a kid and being a huge Prince fan, I couldn't even sit through the whole damn movie it was so bad and not relatable. I appreciate it for what it is now though.
[Edited 5/30/20 23:15pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #402 posted 05/31/20 1:00am

EnDoRpHn

SoulAlive said:

herb4 said:



OldFriends4Sale said:



I wish Prince gave more time to getting UTCM together. The Parade era could have been on the same level of Purple Rain



da5a55fb519e05a6a54e7d2759af1881.gif




Not with that film dragging it down.

PR wasn't a great movie but compared to whatever the fuck UTCM was it was the Godather.


Yeah,I think that UTCM was an ill-advised project.



What’s a Godather?

Prince didn’t cast, direct, or produce Purple Rain. If he had, it would have been called The Second Coming.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #403 posted 05/31/20 1:06am

EnDoRpHn

JorisE73 said:



PennyPurple said:




Actually I think Neversin was talking about you.



I never said he trained or taught them anything. He hired them individually and HE created The Rev....how you can argue that, is beyond reason.


They are trying to down play P's role at every level.




No offense but i highly doubt that.
I just think every member just wants to clarify their input. I think people should really come to terms that Prince didn't do eveything all alone and by himself. He wasn't some Super God like being.
I think it's cool when the people who were there when he was making music give their time to tell the fans things he would never tell us.



There’s a very simple barometer of other people’s influence on Prince: how distinguished is their own work without him, and how much does it stand on its own?

No one would deny that Wendy and Lisa are talented. They ought to be, given their family background and training. But outside their relationship to Prince, where does their work stand relative to others in the past almost 35 years?

Each of you will have your own answer, and that’s fine, no need to quibble. To each, his/her own.
[Edited 5/31/20 1:07am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #404 posted 05/31/20 8:09pm

herb4

avatar

EnDoRpHn said:

SoulAlive said:
Yeah,I think that UTCM was an ill-advised project.
What’s a Godather?


A typo

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #405 posted 06/01/20 6:31am

ChocolateBox31
21

avatar

[​IMG]

"4 all of us, life is death without adventure,& adventure only comes 2 those who are willing 2 b daring & take chances."prince 1985
"eye feel that we're on the brink of something. It is going 2 B strict and wild and pretty" prince 1986
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #406 posted 06/01/20 12:49pm

violetcrush

EnDoRpHn said:

SoulAlive said:
Yeah,I think that UTCM was an ill-advised project.
What’s a Godather? Prince didn’t cast, direct, or produce Purple Rain. If he had, it would have been called The Second Coming.

Actually, per Albert Magnoli, Prince came up with the title "Purple Rain" and asked him if that could be the flim's title. Also, the first screenplay, written by William Blinn, was title "Dreams". So, it seems The Second Coming had been scrapped by the time Prince was putting his notes down in that purple notebook...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #407 posted 06/01/20 12:54pm

violetcrush

ChocolateBox3121 said:

violetcrush said:

Yes, Lisa was in the band longer, and Prince loved the way she played. However, he also loved the way Wendy played guitar. At the '86 Parade show at MSG, duirng an insanely funky Controversy/Mutiny mash-up with Wendy soloing a funky riff on guitar, Prince exclaims, "that's a white girl y'all!!" He loved the way she played. She had the funk sense, but she could also play unique extended chords. She's a great guitarist.

rolleyes

nuts omfg eyepop nana doh! wacky nutso wave

*

Right back at ya there Choco Blocko!!! biggrin

*

Hey, I'm waiting for your story about how you fliew over to the south of France and found yourself in that tent watching the live performance of America, and then got invited to dinner with Prince and the band!!! lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #408 posted 06/01/20 10:31pm

EnDoRpHn

violetcrush said:



EnDoRpHn said:


SoulAlive said:
Yeah,I think that UTCM was an ill-advised project.

What’s a Godather? Prince didn’t cast, direct, or produce Purple Rain. If he had, it would have been called The Second Coming.

Actually, per Albert Magnoli, Prince came up with the title "Purple Rain" and asked him if that could be the flim's title. Also, the first screenplay, written by William Blinn, was title "Dreams". So, it seems The Second Coming had been scrapped by the time Prince was putting his notes down in that purple notebook...


I was being ironic, The Second Coming was a hot mess.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #409 posted 06/03/20 10:48am

violetcrush

EnDoRpHn said:

violetcrush said:

Actually, per Albert Magnoli, Prince came up with the title "Purple Rain" and asked him if that could be the flim's title. Also, the first screenplay, written by William Blinn, was title "Dreams". So, it seems The Second Coming had been scrapped by the time Prince was putting his notes down in that purple notebook...

I was being ironic, The Second Coming was a hot mess.

Ah....gotcha biggrin Sometimes the irony or sarcasim is missed without accompanying emojis smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #410 posted 06/05/20 10:24pm

EnDoRpHn

violetcrush said:



EnDoRpHn said:


violetcrush said:


Actually, per Albert Magnoli, Prince came up with the title "Purple Rain" and asked him if that could be the flim's title. Also, the first screenplay, written by William Blinn, was title "Dreams". So, it seems The Second Coming had been scrapped by the time Prince was putting his notes down in that purple notebook...



I was being ironic, The Second Coming was a hot mess.


Ah....gotcha biggrin Sometimes the irony or sarcasim is missed without accompanying emojis smile


hah!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #411 posted 06/07/20 11:54am

JudasLChrist

avatar

This entire fucking thread full of angst because a band member ACCURATELY portrayed their contribution to a song.

Grow up, ya'll.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #412 posted 06/07/20 2:01pm

herb4

avatar

JudasLChrist said:

This entire fucking thread full of angst because a band member ACCURATELY portrayed their contribution to a song.

Grow up, ya'll.


Not gonna happen here.

This is why we can't have nice things.

This placeis weird and has only gotten more so since Prince's death tbh

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #413 posted 06/12/20 5:47am

Vannormal

avatar

-

I (so) agree.

Where's the gentleness and the positive words so ultimately used

and shoved up our minds by our beloved weirdo Prince himself ?

Learn 'fools' ! biggrin

Must be the 'nineties' younger 'fams' vs the older 'eighties' music lovers.

Hint hint.

Slap me !

wink

-

"...no matter what, all will be fine, always."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #414 posted 06/12/20 2:06pm

ForceofNature

herb4 said:

JudasLChrist said:

This entire fucking thread full of angst because a band member ACCURATELY portrayed their contribution to a song.

Grow up, ya'll.


Not gonna happen here.

This is why we can't have nice things.

This placeis weird and has only gotten more so since Prince's death tbh

I am glad I am not the only one who feels that way. I feel like there are a lot of people who either think they know more than the people who actually were a part of the music

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #415 posted 06/12/20 4:26pm

gripper28

sexton said:

Love it. "Mountains" is my favorite song on Parade and one of my top ten Prince songs overall.

oh yes. in my top ten too xx

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #416 posted 06/13/20 5:33am

muleFunk

avatar

RJOrion said:

"...when John and Mattie were about to have their first child together, Me, Lisa, and Susan Rogers told the couple that they should name the boy Prince Rogers Nelson...when Prince heard this, he just fell out of Mattie's womb.." ~ Wendy Melvoin

WHINNA AND NEW HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION OF DA WOOOOORRRRRLLLLDDDD.....

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #417 posted 06/13/20 5:39am

muleFunk

avatar

Wolfie87 said:

The only artist that is not only devalued but disrespected after his death. Let me guess, Quincy had no involvement in Thriller. But Wendy and Lisa wrote the whole Purple Rain album. Cause why would this cocky asshole who treat women like Apollonia in the MOVIE deserve to write Purple Rain. "It's not fair!" Pound for pound the greastest artist this side of 1900 and we still rewrite his history, never to his advantage. Fucking guy shreds on guitar and still he is subpar compared to his peers. Always a comment. Lionel Richie winning that Grammy in 1985 is still the biggest robery in music business. That is what being Prince was like. Hated by so many people who didn't like his way of doing music or controlling himself. Looking at that Grammy history with him involved. Loses to Michael Bolton. Wins like 3 Grammy's total in the 80's. Hahahahaha! And now we want to write his importance out of music history. I don't care if they came up with a pattern. He will always be the mastermind behind Mountains whatever you tell me. Rant over!! [Edited 5/11/20 13:07pm]

nod nod nod

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #418 posted 06/13/20 5:44am

muleFunk

avatar

RJOrion said:

if Wendy & Lisa were such great and accomplished song writers, capable of constucting a masterpiece like Mountains, how come of the 5 albums they are credited with releasing in over 33 years, they have ZERO hit records and not one song of their own that most music fans can name... not one...at all... ever... even their hard core fans probably have to use google to name any Wendy & Lisa songs or albums.. like JayZ (aka J-Hova) told his estranged business partner Damon Dash, on wax: "..I heard motherf#####s saying they made Hov, Made Hov say, "Okay, so make another Hov...." so....ok Wendy & Lisa, make another "Mountains"

And Wendy's dad was a music exec that pulled strings for a lot of that to happen.

I love their style because I have those 5 albums but the proof is in the pudding. If they were that great they would have been like Paul McCartney in the Wings era. Instead they are a footnote to a footnote.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #419 posted 06/13/20 6:07am

mediumdry

muleFunk said:

If they were that great they would have been like Paul McCartney in the Wings era. Instead they are a footnote to a footnote.

.

McCartney in the Wings era was, apart from Maybe I'm Amazed, as boring and unsuccesful as Good Question. (rated just under Tony LeMans)

.

Sales numbers do not show how good an album is. If it was, Around The World In A Day, Parade, The Rainbow Children and Dirty Mind would have vastly outsold Purple Rain, for starters.

.

And the W&L albums, especially Eroica, are quite good, imo.

Paisley Park is in your heart - Love Is Here!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 14 of 18 « First<9101112131415161718>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Wendy Melvoin on the origins of "Mountains"