independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 13th Nov 2019 11:38am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Dave Chappelle's new Netflix Standup dropped and intro will make you happy
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 4 1234>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 08/27/19 10:53pm

AvocadosMax

Dave Chappelle's new Netflix Standup dropped and intro will make you happy

Dave Chappelle sings "1999" at the begininning of his new standup special on Netflix called "Sticks & Stones". Really hilarious. He's still the best comedian in the world.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 08/27/19 11:19pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

Will have to check it out cool

Edmonton, AB - canada
Mod Goddess of the SNIP & BAN Making Moves - OF4S
Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 08/27/19 11:24pm

PurpleMusic768
9

avatar

End credits may give you a smile too

"Special Thanks:
Michael Howe...
To The Estate of Prince Rogers Nelson."

All to the tune of the "Mommy, why does everybody got a bomb?" portion of "1999".
[Edited 8/27/19 23:24pm]
usually known as "Leaped7689"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 08/28/19 7:44am

djThunderfunk

avatar

Highly recommended. Watch it before Chappelle gets "cancelled". lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 08/28/19 11:07am

blacknote

avatar

Holiday weekend coming up. Will definitely squeeze it in.

9.1 Surround Sound✔

Netflix✔

Sausage & Pepperoni Pizza✔✔✔

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 08/28/19 11:17am

BalladofPeterP
arker

Yeah Dave made a nice nod to Prince! Great standup performance, Dave is the man.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 08/28/19 7:20pm

MotownSubdivis
ion

avatar

Dave pissed a lot of people off with this one from what I heard.

The media (and the sheep they've indoctrinated) is starting to rally against him for not cosigning their narratives.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 08/28/19 7:26pm

djThunderfunk

avatar

MotownSubdivision said:

Dave pissed a lot of people off with this one from what I heard. The media (and the sheep they've indoctrinated) is starting to rally against him for not cosigning their narratives.


Good! There's nothing less funny than "safe" comedy that strives to be unoffensive and that conforms to social norms?


[Edited 8/28/19 19:27pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 08/29/19 2:12am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

djThunderfunk said:

MotownSubdivision said:

Dave pissed a lot of people off with this one from what I heard. The media (and the sheep they've indoctrinated) is starting to rally against him for not cosigning their narratives.


Good! There's nothing less funny than "safe" comedy that strives to be unoffensive and that conforms to social norms?


[Edited 8/28/19 19:27pm]

.

Like someone pointed out on Twitter: 15 years ago Dave walked away from a multi-million dollar paycheck because he realized the jokes in his show were used to insult his own people. Now he happily accepts a multi-million dollar paycheck to insult other people.

.

I've watched this special. It's mostly a long whine about how comedians nowadays aren't allowed to punch down anymore, as if sexism, homophobia and transphobia were ever legit subjects.

.

In many ways this special is barely different from the unfunny garbage masquerading as rightwing comedy.

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 08/29/19 3:53am

NouveauDance

avatar

BartVanHemelen said:

Like someone pointed out on Twitter: 15 years ago Dave walked away from a multi-million dollar paycheck because he realized the jokes in his show were used to insult his own people. Now he happily accepts a multi-million dollar paycheck to insult other people.

All that needs to be said on the matter. He's a hypocrite.

.

.

No doubt this thread will fill up with the usual dog whistles as that other thread did though, it is the org after all.

.

.

[Edited 8/29/19 3:55am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 08/29/19 5:01am

darkroman

Years ago comedians told stories about everyday life which we could all relate to.

Oddly this worked and was really funny.

These days comedians complain about everything, particularly their race, gender and religion, which just isn't funny.

Comedians need to bring the comedy back or move on!!!!

cool


  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 08/29/19 5:21am

AvocadosMax

MotownSubdivision said:

Dave pissed a lot of people off with this one from what I heard.

The media (and the sheep they've indoctrinated) is starting to rally against him for not cosigning their narratives.

Dave Chappelle reminded us that there are still SANE liberals alive today! I can’t thank him enough.

Also, I loved that story Dave told with Obama at the end of the Epilogue. That was sweet and wholesome
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 08/29/19 5:24am

AvocadosMax

Comedy is suppose to make fun of everyone, no exceptions. And no limits. Sad weak losers who don’t understand its comedy don’t make the rules.

Dave is normalizing the alphabet community by joking about them, as Daphne (aspiring comedian who is transgender herself) said
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 08/29/19 5:31am

djThunderfunk

avatar

BartVanHemelen said:

djThunderfunk said:


Good! There's nothing less funny than "safe" comedy that strives to be unoffensive and that conforms to social norms?


[Edited 8/28/19 19:27pm]

.

Like someone pointed out on Twitter: 15 years ago Dave walked away from a multi-million dollar paycheck because he realized the jokes in his show were used to insult his own people. Now he happily accepts a multi-million dollar paycheck to insult other people.

.

I've watched this special. It's mostly a long whine about how comedians nowadays aren't allowed to punch down anymore, as if sexism, homophobia and transphobia were ever legit subjects.

.

In many ways this special is barely different from the unfunny garbage masquerading as rightwing comedy.


I watched it too. You must have missed where he punched up he punched down he punched left he punched right, he joked about everybody including himself. Comedy is not supposed to be a "safe space".

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 08/29/19 5:33am

djThunderfunk

avatar

NouveauDance said:

BartVanHemelen said:

Like someone pointed out on Twitter: 15 years ago Dave walked away from a multi-million dollar paycheck because he realized the jokes in his show were used to insult his own people. Now he happily accepts a multi-million dollar paycheck to insult other people.

All that needs to be said on the matter. He's a hypocrite.

.

.

No doubt this thread will fill up with the usual dog whistles as that other thread did though, it is the org after all.

.

.

[Edited 8/29/19 3:55am]


Some would say it was hypocritical for Comedy Central to allow him to say the N-word with impunity but never utter the f-word (not FUCK). He's not gay but as he says in the special, he's not a n-word either.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 08/29/19 5:34am

NouveauDance

avatar

AvocadosMax said:

Comedy is suppose to make fun of everyone, no exceptions. And no limits. Sad weak losers who don’t understand its comedy don’t make the rules. Dave is normalizing the alphabet community by joking about them, as Daphne (aspiring comedian who is transgender herself) said

Remember this post next time some MAGA-supporting comedian shouts "nigger" in his set. It will be hilarious I'm sure, it's just normalising them after all. In fact go watch that Michael Richards clip - what a hoot.

.

.

.

djThunderfunk said:

Some would say it was hypocritical for Comedy Central to allow him to say the N-word with impunity but never utter the f-word (not FUCK). He's not gay but as he says in the special, he's not a n-word either.

Please... You know exactly what this about. There are reams of stuff on the reclaiming the N-word by black people - and you KNOW that is the comparison here, not that "he's not a nigger" so it's ok to use any and every hatespeech word freely.

.

Let's get real. They purposefully made a feature of THIS segment of his set because that's how you promote things these days. Outrage culture has been used by big business for years now, because it's a lazy way to get your product out there and doesn't impact sales much when singing to the choir. If the press release was about some washed up comedian releases yet another tired set on streaming platform no place would be running the story. They're actively making a feature of the use of discriminatory hatespeech as an advertising tool. Like I said above, don't be surprised if some angry white comedian writes a witless retort about how Chapelle made it ok for him and his Trump-lovin' buddies to use "nigger" in their shows (like they wouldn't have jumped at the thinest excuse any way).

.

.

[Edited 8/29/19 5:43am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 08/29/19 5:37am

djThunderfunk

avatar

darkroman said:

Years ago comedians told stories about everyday life which we could all relate to.

Oddly this worked and was really funny.

These days comedians complain about everything, particularly their race, gender and religion, which just isn't funny.

Comedians need to bring the comedy back or move on!!!!

cool



Years ago comedians were allowed to say what they want, sometimes they hit the mark and sometimes they went too far.

Oddly this worked and was often really funny.

These days comedians have to tap dance around everything, particularly race, gender and religion, which isn't funny.

Comedians need to do like Dave is doing and bring the comedy back or move on!!!!

biggrin

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 08/29/19 5:38am

AvocadosMax

NouveauDance said:



AvocadosMax said:


Comedy is suppose to make fun of everyone, no exceptions. And no limits. Sad weak losers who don’t understand its comedy don’t make the rules. Dave is normalizing the alphabet community by joking about them, as Daphne (aspiring comedian who is transgender herself) said

Remember this post next time some MAGA-supporting comedian shouts "nigger" in his set. It will be hilarious I'm sure, it's just normalising them after all. In fact go watch that Michael Richards clip - what a hoot.


Huh? Lol that’s a ridiculous, naive little thing to say. Yet if someone did call him that with the hard R and with hurtful intent, he don’t care. He’d roast the shit out of them and kick them the fuck out, no refund
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 08/29/19 5:39am

AvocadosMax

I’m thankful Dave also had the guts to defend Michael Jackson

He has huge giant ass balls.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 08/29/19 5:41am

AvocadosMax

The best bit was Dave talking about that french actor Jussie Smollet and the two Nigerians who attacked him
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 08/29/19 5:42am

AvocadosMax

This is Dave’s best special since his classic “For What Its Worth”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 08/29/19 5:45am

NouveauDance

avatar

AvocadosMax said:

Huh? Lol that’s a ridiculous, naive little thing to say. Yet if someone did call him that with the hard R and with hurtful intent, he don’t care. He’d roast the shit out of them and kick them the fuck out, no refund

Missed the point. I'm not talking about heckling. He just opened the door for other right-wing comedians to use that term for black people in retort to Chapelle's set. Again, let's come back to this thread when that happens and see if everyone is so cool with that - it's just comedy after all.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 08/29/19 5:46am

AvocadosMax

No wait, the best bit is when Dave was talking to that producer person on why he can’t say faggot
“Because you’re not gay”
Dave: “well, I’m not a nigger either”


BOOM.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 08/29/19 5:49am

AvocadosMax

NouveauDance said:



AvocadosMax said:


Huh? Lol that’s a ridiculous, naive little thing to say. Yet if someone did call him that with the hard R and with hurtful intent, he don’t care. He’d roast the shit out of them and kick them the fuck out, no refund

Missed the point. I'm not talking about heckling. He just opened the door for other right-wing comedians to use that term for black people in retort to Chapelle's set. Again, let's come back to this thread when that happens and see if everyone is so cool with that - it's just comedy after all.


Right-wing comedians? Is that such a thing? If anything, you’re a good representation in this thread of how POLITICALLY OBSESSED society is.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 08/29/19 5:50am

AvocadosMax

Like damn. Can’t you participate in a topic without talking some shit about one side? No of course you can’t. You’re a part of the problem
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 08/29/19 6:08am

djThunderfunk

avatar

AvocadosMax said:

Like damn. Can’t you participate in a topic without talking some shit about one side? No of course you can’t. You’re a part of the problem


There are no "sides" to comedy. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 08/29/19 6:17am

AvocadosMax

djThunderfunk said:



AvocadosMax said:


Like damn. Can’t you participate in a topic without talking some shit about one side? No of course you can’t. You’re a part of the problem


There are no "sides" to comedy. lol


Exactly. But then you have this person all like “but right-wing comedians...”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 08/29/19 6:20am

djThunderfunk

avatar

NouveauDance said:

.

djThunderfunk said:

Some would say it was hypocritical for Comedy Central to allow him to say the N-word with impunity but never utter the f-word (not FUCK). He's not gay but as he says in the special, he's not a n-word either.

Please... You know exactly what this about. There are reams of stuff on the reclaiming the N-word by black people - and you KNOW that is the comparison here, not that "he's not a nigger" so it's ok to use any and every hatespeech word freely.

.

Let's get real. They purposefully made a feature of THIS segment of his set because that's how you promote things these days. Outrage culture has been used by big business for years now, because it's a lazy way to get your product out there and doesn't impact sales much when singing to the choir. If the press release was about some washed up comedian releases yet another tired set on streaming platform no place would be running the story. They're actively making a feature of the use of discriminatory hatespeech as an advertising tool. Like I said above, don't be surprised if some angry white comedian writes a witless retort about how Chapelle made it ok for him and his Trump-lovin' buddies to use "nigger" in their shows (like they wouldn't have jumped at the thinest excuse any way).

.


"Hatespeech"? I didn't hear him say anything "hateful" in the entire special. He made jokes.

Perhaps you believe that some people should be protected from jokes and this is why you find it "hateful"?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 08/29/19 6:37am

NouveauDance

avatar

AvocadosMax said:

No wait, the best bit is when Dave was talking to that producer person on why he can’t say faggot “Because you’re not gay” Dave: “well, I’m not a nigger either” BOOM.

Already addressed above. Read.

.

.

.

djThunderfunk said:


"Hatespeech"? I didn't hear him say anything "hateful" in the entire special. He made jokes.

Perhaps you believe that some people should be protected from jokes and this is why you find it "hateful"?

Missing the point. This isn't about protection - no one is asking for special treatment - just compare like with like. We're going around in circles here.

.

.

.

[Edited 8/29/19 6:46am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 08/29/19 6:56am

djThunderfunk

avatar

NouveauDance said:

Missing the point. This isn't about protection - no one is asking for special treatment - just compare like with like. We're going around in circles here.


Yes, I must be missing your point, circles or no. What did Chappelle say that was "hatespeech"?



.

[Edited 8/29/19 6:57am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 4 1234>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Dave Chappelle's new Netflix Standup dropped and intro will make you happy