independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Purple Rain Deluxe Expanded - Discussion HERE
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 06/22/17 1:05pm

nextedition

avatar

antonb said:

I'm sorry but anyone not liking this version of We can fuck needs there head testing. It's surprising and strangely a kinda honest track. No bullshit it is what it says!
[Edited 6/22/17 10:30am]

Yes its an amazing version!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 06/22/17 1:08pm

coldasice

mediumdry said:

those versions are from 1986, far removed from anything having to do with Purple Rain. This version from December 1983 at least historically fits somewhat.


For sure...just wasn't expecting it. Still great. Vocals are great.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 06/22/17 1:09pm

nextedition

avatar

coldasice said:

The most shocking thing for me isn't the quality (although I still question the source material), but the fact the bass, guitar & Horns are removed from "We Can F***" and replaced with synths. It's basically just a demo of the familiar song.

I don't think the bass, guitar and horns are removed, more like added to later. Just because you know a certain version doesnt mean its the original version.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 06/22/17 1:11pm

Nikkie

avatar

feeluupp said:



mediumdry said:


those versions are from 1986, far removed from anything having to do with Purple Rain. This version from December 1983 at least historically fits somewhat.




Listen to the WE CAN FUCK reverbs very closely... Then go play the bedroom scene with Prince and Appolonia...



Tried to make a thread about this to talk more in detail so it wouldn't get drowned in other PR DELUXE threads but it got locked for no reason.



That's a nice find, I just watched the scene. It's a similar reversed reverb effect. By the way, this version of We can F*ck is out of this world! The vocal tracks, drums and some other sounds were used for the - imo - much weaker, over-produced Graffiti Bridge version. It lost most of its sleazy funk and sexiness. So nice to have this early version. cool
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 06/22/17 1:13pm

feeluupp

Nikkie said:

feeluupp said:

Listen to the WE CAN FUCK reverbs very closely... Then go play the bedroom scene with Prince and Appolonia...

Tried to make a thread about this to talk more in detail so it wouldn't get drowned in other PR DELUXE threads but it got locked for no reason.

That's a nice find, I just watched the scene. It's a similar reversed reverb effect. By the way, this version of We can F*ck is out of this world! The vocal tracks, drums and some other sounds were used for the - imo - much weaker, over-produced Graffiti Bridge version. It lost most of its sleazy funk and sexiness. So nice to have this early version. cool

Do u think by any chance WE CAN FUCK was supposed to be used in that scene or maybe the deleted barn scene... lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 06/22/17 1:16pm

Nikkie

avatar

feeluupp said:



Nikkie said:


feeluupp said:



Listen to the WE CAN FUCK reverbs very closely... Then go play the bedroom scene with Prince and Appolonia...



Tried to make a thread about this to talk more in detail so it wouldn't get drowned in other PR DELUXE threads but it got locked for no reason.



That's a nice find, I just watched the scene. It's a similar reversed reverb effect. By the way, this version of We can F*ck is out of this world! The vocal tracks, drums and some other sounds were used for the - imo - much weaker, over-produced Graffiti Bridge version. It lost most of its sleazy funk and sexiness. So nice to have this early version. cool


Do u think by any chance WE CAN FUCK was supposed to be used in that scene or maybe the deleted barn scene... lol



Maybe it was intended for the movie and the album? At some point? Who knows!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 06/22/17 1:18pm

Silvertongue7

I love disc 2. I didn't have the 10 minute version of I Would Die 4 U or extended Another Lonely Christmas, but that was out of choice more than anything else, so Disc 3 is a bit pointless. And I jsut started watching the DVD and.. man, the picture is bad! It seems to get slightly better as ot goes on, or maybe I'm getting used to it, but I had to take the disc out and play it in my computer to make sure there was nothing wrong with my DVD player!

Still, I'm relly loving disc 2, so I'll focus on that!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 06/22/17 1:25pm

RaspBerryGirlF
riend

avatar

Annoying how fragmented the discussion is over the various threads as it means I'm less likely to get a quick answer to my question, but does anyone know if this (or at least Disc 1 and 2) will be put up on streaming services tomorrow? If so might wait for a little before actually buying the thing, I'm going on holiday next week so won't really have a chance to listen to it so would be cool to be able to sample it through Spotify without having to buy it from Amazon in like the next 30 minutes to make sure it arrives before I go away.

Heavenly wine and roses seems to whisper to me when you smile...
Always cry for love, never cry for pain...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 06/22/17 1:31pm

Nikkie

avatar

RaspBerryGirlFriend said:

Annoying how fragmented the discussion is over the various threads as it means I'm less likely to get a quick answer to my question, but does anyone know if this (or at least Disc 1 and 2) will be put up on streaming services tomorrow? If so might wait for a little before actually buying the thing, I'm going on holiday next week so won't really have a chance to listen to it so would be cool to be able to sample it through Spotify without having to buy it from Amazon in like the next 30 minutes to make sure it arrives before I go away.



Yes, Spotify usually follows general release dates. Should be up there tomorrow.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 06/22/17 1:35pm

Silvertongue7

RaspBerryGirlFriend said:

Annoying how fragmented the discussion is over the various threads as it means I'm less likely to get a quick answer to my question, but does anyone know if this (or at least Disc 1 and 2) will be put up on streaming services tomorrow? If so might wait for a little before actually buying the thing, I'm going on holiday next week so won't really have a chance to listen to it so would be cool to be able to sample it through Spotify without having to buy it from Amazon in like the next 30 minutes to make sure it arrives before I go away.

I suspect it will be. I'd buy it anyway!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 06/22/17 1:35pm

RaspBerryGirlF
riend

avatar

Nikkie said:

RaspBerryGirlFriend said:

Annoying how fragmented the discussion is over the various threads as it means I'm less likely to get a quick answer to my question, but does anyone know if this (or at least Disc 1 and 2) will be put up on streaming services tomorrow? If so might wait for a little before actually buying the thing, I'm going on holiday next week so won't really have a chance to listen to it so would be cool to be able to sample it through Spotify without having to buy it from Amazon in like the next 30 minutes to make sure it arrives before I go away.

Yes, Spotify usually follows general release dates. Should be up there tomorrow.

Thanks a lot smile

Heavenly wine and roses seems to whisper to me when you smile...
Always cry for love, never cry for pain...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 06/22/17 2:00pm

madison

WB

tonk

..

[Edited 6/22/17 14:01pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 06/22/17 2:10pm

highcalonic

The sound of the DVD is excellent ! i've never heard it like this.

"You can skate around the issue if you like,
But who's gonna get you high in the middle of the night?"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 06/22/17 2:19pm

samt

avatar

JamieStarrIsAThief said:

Mine arrived today.


From Amazon to Devon, England.



Remaster sounds great to me.


Full on evening ahead.



Very happy.


I thought I was the only Prince fan in Devon!
Interviewer: What's it like to be the greatest guitarist in the world?
Clapton: I don't know, you'd better ask Prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 06/22/17 2:27pm

Phishanga

avatar

Man, "We can fuck" is freaking amazing! I love the effect on the vocals, think it's a reverse effect? The drums, too... didn't Questlove post about that recently, too? Can't find it.

Hey loudmouth, shut the fuck up, right?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 06/22/17 2:51pm

highcalonic

Phishanga said:

Man, "We can fuck" is freaking amazing! I love the effect on the vocals, think it's a reverse effect? The drums, too... didn't Questlove post about that recently, too? Can't find it.

We Can Fuck is incredible, the break take it to another level really !

"You can skate around the issue if you like,
But who's gonna get you high in the middle of the night?"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 06/22/17 3:06pm

maceoparker007

Silvertongue7 said:

man, the picture is bad! It seems to get slightly better as ot goes on, or maybe I'm getting used to it, but I had to take the disc out and play it in my computer to make sure there was nothing wrong with my DVD player!

Still, I'm relly loving disc 2, so I'll focus on that!

You'll find it looks better on TV from a distance instead of your computer. I have played Prince DVDs on my computer thinking they were bad until I played it on my TV where it looked fine.

[Edited 6/22/17 15:07pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 06/22/17 3:07pm

maceoparker007

damn the suspense is killing me I get my CD delivered tomorrow.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 06/22/17 3:08pm

maceoparker007

williamb610 said:

You know those bastards at OfficialPrincemusic.com, STILL, have not sent me my Deluxe Expanded set, yet!

BASTARDS!

Unless that website has something that no one else has in the future, I doubt I'll be buying from them, again.

Several of you guys have yours, and I don't have mine and I PAID MORE for it on their site. Total bullshit!


You should know by know the Estate is run by clowns. should have bought from Amazon...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 06/22/17 3:09pm

feeluupp

Phishanga said:

Man, "We can fuck" is freaking amazing! I love the effect on the vocals, think it's a reverse effect? The drums, too... didn't Questlove post about that recently, too? Can't find it.

If u listen closely some of the reverbs on WE CAN FUCK was used in the bedroom scene with Appolonia and Prince...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 06/22/17 3:55pm

dance4me3121

maceoparker007 said:

damn the suspense is killing me I get my CD delivered tomorrow.


Yeah me 2!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 06/22/17 3:58pm

Silvertongue7

maceoparker007 said:



Silvertongue7 said:


man, the picture is bad! It seems to get slightly better as ot goes on, or maybe I'm getting used to it, but I had to take the disc out and play it in my computer to make sure there was nothing wrong with my DVD player!


Still, I'm relly loving disc 2, so I'll focus on that!




You'll find it looks better on TV from a distance instead of your computer. I have played Prince DVDs on my computer thinking they were bad until I played it on my TV where it looked fine.

[Edited 6/22/17 15:07pm]


I tried the tv first. It got better (or I got used to it), and I enjoyed it (the sound is good; the show is terribly self indulgent but fun), but the first five minutes or so it looked just terrible...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 06/22/17 4:12pm

getxxxx

avatar

sad no digital booklet from iTunes.

Nick Ashford was someone I greatly admired, had the honor of knowing, and was the real-life inspiration for Cowboy Curtis' hair. RIP Nick. - Pee Wee Herman
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 06/22/17 5:02pm

OperatingTheta
n

Possessed - Wow, this version is something else! Pure genius. Reaches dizzying levels of greatness in the second half.

We Can Fuck is another beast entirely from what we've heard from other versions of the song. Trippy, erotic and claustrophobic. Classic Prince.

Love and Sex is also top drawer. The kind of song only Prince could produce.

Along with Dance Electric, Katrinas Paper Dolls, Fathers Song and Electric Intercourse disc 2 is top drawer. Only Velvet Kitty cat is throwaway and even that is fun.
[Edited 6/22/17 17:06pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 06/22/17 5:03pm

jjam

feeluupp said:

mediumdry said:

those versions are from 1986, far removed from anything having to do with Purple Rain. This version from December 1983 at least historically fits somewhat.

Listen to the WE CAN FUCK reverbs very closely... Then go play the bedroom scene with Prince and Appolonia...

Tried to make a thread about this to talk more in detail so it wouldn't get drowned in other PR DELUXE threads but it got locked for no reason.

I'd advise you to put those straws down that you're clutching at wink They're using the same effect on vocals - no correlation between the music in that scene and We Can Fuck at all.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 06/22/17 5:19pm

GimmeThat

My copy came today (Amazon). Still listening, already love.
2 sevens together
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #56 posted 06/22/17 5:20pm

Adorecream

Just got back from the wrekka stow and it was there. Just burning it now to myitunes. Disc 2 first of course. Could not find the 2CD version though, they had no idea, searched for it and came back with an original abum lol

.

An extra treat was a stop by the book store and picked up a hardcover copy of Picturing Prince by Steve Parke, a book I have wanted for a while.

.

A more fulsome review will follow as I digest the genius. Love and sex, already - wow! Gonna listen to all the tracks I have never heard of before, then all the ones I have bootsof and then the songs I have heard and owned a bazillion times (Baby I'm a star etc)

[Edited 6/22/17 17:23pm]

Got some kind of love for you, and I don't even know your name
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #57 posted 06/22/17 5:25pm

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

my main gripe is this: instead of the edits and extended, I would have rather had a CD of extended and alternative mixes...which exist for all the songs as well as the b-sides

as to the 2nd cd A Maze Ing! I would have liked other songs but hell the cd is full so i am happy...

[Edited 6/22/17 17:28pm]

The Spike is Real Wear a Mask (this is not the 2nd Wave)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #58 posted 06/22/17 5:55pm

feeluupp

OnlyNDaUsa said:

my main gripe is this: instead of the edits and extended, I would have rather had a CD of extended and alternative mixes...which exist for all the songs as well as the b-sides

as to the 2nd cd A Maze Ing! I would have liked other songs but hell the cd is full so i am happy...

[Edited 6/22/17 17:28pm]

I agree, we didn't need that 3rd cd of edits... We needed a 3rd cd of other songs featured in the film such as Modernaire, Sex Shooter, Jungle Love, The Bird, and maybe others like Wednesday, 17 Days Extended, then it would've been amazing. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #59 posted 06/22/17 6:05pm

psychodelicide

avatar

Adorecream said:

Just got back from the wrekka stow and it was there. Just burning it now to myitunes. Disc 2 first of course. Could not find the 2CD version though, they had no idea, searched for it and came back with an original abum lol


.


An extra treat was a stop by the book store and picked up a hardcover copy of Picturing Prince by Steve Parke, a book I have wanted for a while.


.


A more fulsome review will follow as I digest the genius. Love and sex, already - wow! Gonna listen to all the tracks I have never heard of before, then all the ones I have bootsof and then the songs I have heard and owned a bazillion times (Baby I'm a star etc)

[Edited 6/22/17 17:23pm]



Which wrecka stow did you find it at? Someone said that it was available online only thru Target or amazon.com
RIP, Prince. A legend has left us, and you will be forever missed. cry

"She probably found her vagina". lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Purple Rain Deluxe Expanded - Discussion HERE