independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 18th Jul 2019 11:10am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > After hearing Electric Intercouse (studio) anyone else worried about PR Deluxe?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 04/29/17 5:24pm

purplerabbitho
le

After hearing Electric Intercouse (studio) anyone else worried about PR Deluxe?

Don't get me wrong, I like the studio version of EI, but it isn't the moving and sexy song of the demo and live versions. Its experimental, odd, and a bit inaccessible to non-hardcore P fans. I wish they had included both the studio version and a cleaned up demo. Silver lining of studio EI---very impressive vocal range exhibited.

Anyhow, it does worry me a bit that Dance Electric, Possessed, Our Destiny/Roadhouse Garden, Wonderful Ass and We can Fuck will be very different from the ones we have heard online and therefore very jarring (even disappointing--considering I just heard Prince' Dance Electric demo on youtube and loooooved it).. Is this something to worry about? Or should we not worry because only EI was labeled as "studio version" on the tracklist?

[Edited 4/29/17 17:26pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 04/29/17 5:32pm

justAmeda

eek all I can say is Moonbeam Levels that was "officially released" and Electric Intercourse (official release" has me wonder who's staying drunk or high (possibly both) to even think these are great pieces! It's like nails on a chalkboard listening to it. I LOVE the live version of Electric Intercourse and the unreleased demo that got leaked months ago. But this stuff makes me cringe at the workmanship that went into putting this album together!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 04/29/17 5:34pm

IstenSzek

avatar

there is no demo for electric intercourse. only rehearsal and live.

also, this is pretty much on our own heads since we collected bootlegs and have
accustomed ourselves with those leaked versions for years or decades.

when these songs are finally released in whatever version, it's hardly anybody's
fault but our own if they are less spectacular than some 7th generation walkman
recorded rehearsal tape we've been listening to since 1991.

well, not less spectacular anyway, just different.

and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 04/29/17 5:36pm

IstenSzek

avatar

justAmeda said:

eek all I can say is Moonbeam Levels that was "officially released" and Electric Intercourse (official release" has me wonder who's staying drunk or high (possibly both) to even think these are great pieces! It's like nails on a chalkboard listening to it. I LOVE the live version of Electric Intercourse and the unreleased demo that got leaked months ago. But this stuff makes me cringe at the workmanship that went into putting this album together!



again, there is no demo for electric intercourse confused

and the studio electric intercourse is 'nails on chalkboard'?

are some of these people even prince fans at all? disbelief

and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 04/29/17 5:48pm

purplerabbitho
le

Sorry, rehearsal footage.

I don't think studio Electric intercourse is nails on a chalkboard...(but it is experimental sounding). WTF???]

Moonbeam Levels is pretty solid and not at all jarring or piercing. So, I am not sure what that lady is talking about..

BTW, some people are more Prince and the Revolution fans than Prince fans on this site.

IstenSzek said:

justAmeda said:

eek all I can say is Moonbeam Levels that was "officially released" and Electric Intercourse (official release" has me wonder who's staying drunk or high (possibly both) to even think these are great pieces! It's like nails on a chalkboard listening to it. I LOVE the live version of Electric Intercourse and the unreleased demo that got leaked months ago. But this stuff makes me cringe at the workmanship that went into putting this album together!



again, there is no demo for electric intercourse confused

and the studio electric intercourse is 'nails on chalkboard'?

are some of these people even prince fans at all? disbelief

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 04/29/17 6:04pm

jaawwnn

avatar

purplerabbithole said:

Don't get me wrong, I like the studio version of EI, but it isn't the moving and sexy song of the demo and live versions. Its experimental, odd, and a bit inaccessible to non-hardcore P fans. I wish they had included both the studio version and a cleaned up demo. Silver lining of studio EI---very impressive vocal range exhibited.

Anyhow, it does worry me a bit that Dance Electric, Possessed, Our Destiny/Roadhouse Garden, Wonderful Ass and We can Fuck will be very different from the ones we have heard online and therefore very jarring (even disappointing--considering I just heard Prince' Dance Electric demo on youtube and loooooved it).. Is this something to worry about? Or should we not worry because only EI was labeled as "studio version" on the tracklist?

[Edited 4/29/17 17:26pm]

This is basically a good description of the stuff I want to hear from the archives so i'm not so sure I agree.

I'd be disappointed if Possessed and Dance Electric were very different to the known versions though, I'd like to hear what we already have in better quality. Our Destiny/Roadhouse Garden i'm holding my breath for, the studio version we've heard of Roadhouse Garden certainly sounded a bit unfinished compared to the live version.

But worried... nah. I'll take whatever they put out, to hell with people who aren't bothered being a Prince fan, it's not my job to hold their hand because they can't listen beyond obvious hits. Their loss.




[Edited 4/29/17 18:06pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 04/29/17 6:11pm

purplerabbitho
le

There are Prince fans bitching about Electric Intercourse as well. I mean the live version is so damn good, that I couldn't help being disappointed in this version. Althoough, I love the multiple vocals overlapping (or over dubbed or whatever the word is) in the studio version. So,I think it will grow on me, but it just goes to show that the First Avenue performance should have also been included in this set.

jaawwnn said:

purplerabbithole said:

Don't get me wrong, I like the studio version of EI, but it isn't the moving and sexy song of the demo and live versions. Its experimental, odd, and a bit inaccessible to non-hardcore P fans. I wish they had included both the studio version and a cleaned up demo. Silver lining of studio EI---very impressive vocal range exhibited.

Anyhow, it does worry me a bit that Dance Electric, Possessed, Our Destiny/Roadhouse Garden, Wonderful Ass and We can Fuck will be very different from the ones we have heard online and therefore very jarring (even disappointing--considering I just heard Prince' Dance Electric demo on youtube and loooooved it).. Is this something to worry about? Or should we not worry because only EI was labeled as "studio version" on the tracklist?

[Edited 4/29/17 17:26pm]

This is basically a good description of the stuff I want to hear from the archives so i'm not so sure I agree.

I'd be disappointed if Possessed and Dance Electric were very different to the known versions though, I'd like to hear what we already have in better quality. Our Destiny/Roadhouse Garden i'm holding my breath for, the studio version we've heard of Roadhouse Garden certainly sounded a bit unfinished compared to the live version.

But worried... nah. I'll take whatever they put out, to hell with people who aren't bothered being a Prince fan, it's not my job to hold their hand because they can't listen beyond obvious hits. Their loss.




[Edited 4/29/17 18:06pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 04/29/17 6:18pm

ufoclub

avatar

What? Both of these are classic hard core Prince gems. And I do mean the studio versions. Oh and let me slap you across the face with the Days of Wild studio version too.

Turn in your Prince club card you's been kicked out!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 04/29/17 6:24pm

brassneck

avatar

justAmeda said:

eek all I can say is Moonbeam Levels that was "officially released" and Electric Intercourse (official release" has me wonder who's staying drunk or high (possibly both) to even think these are great pieces! It's like nails on a chalkboard listening to it. I LOVE the live version of Electric Intercourse and the unreleased demo that got leaked months ago. But this stuff makes me cringe at the workmanship that went into putting this album together!

.

This is absolute lunacy. Moonbeam Levels was obviously not sourced properly (maybe a non-master was all WB had acces to). But EI sounds fantastic.

[Edited 4/29/17 18:35pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 04/29/17 6:26pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

purplerabbithole said:

Sorry, rehearsal footage.

I don't think studio Electric intercourse is nails on a chalkboard...(but it is experimental sounding). WTF???]

Moonbeam Levels is pretty solid and not at all jarring or piercing. So, I am not sure what that lady is talking about..

BTW, some people are more Prince and the Revolution fans than Prince fans on this site.

IstenSzek said:



again, there is no demo for electric intercourse confused

and the studio electric intercourse is 'nails on chalkboard'?

are some of these people even prince fans at all? disbelief

what does that have to do with anything.

And both are still Prince in there

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 04/29/17 6:43pm

jaawwnn

avatar

purplerabbithole said:

There are Prince fans bitching about Electric Intercourse as well. I mean the live version is so damn good, that I couldn't help being disappointed in this version. Althoough, I love the multiple vocals overlapping (or over dubbed or whatever the word is) in the studio version. So,I think it will grow on me, but it just goes to show that the First Avenue performance should have also been included in this set.

Well comparing live to Studio is one thing, but it gets a bit complicated with different studio to studio takes, i'm hoping they've chosen that wisely.

My fav version of Roadhouse Garden is currently the live one but the studio version that was leaked wasn't obviously joined to the studio of Our Destiny that was also leaked so i'm cautiously optimistic about what'll be on the set.

And yeah, that 1st Avenue performance should come out but it does seem there's a video release in the works so I can wait for that.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 04/29/17 6:46pm

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

I will say EI was very different than what I was expecting... shockingly different. I have a hard time believing that was ever intended for the movie... but IT makes me more excited for the songs!

Being a die-hard civil rights champion,
Being a die-hard libertarian,
Sometimes I have to defend
that which I find distasteful.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 04/29/17 6:51pm

fen

avatar

jaawwnn said:

purplerabbithole said:

Its experimental, odd, and a bit inaccessible to non-hardcore P fans.

[Edited 4/29/17 17:26pm]

This is basically a good description of the stuff I want to hear from the archives...

[Edited 4/29/17 18:06pm]

I couldn't agree more jaawwnn, I feel exactly the same way. What on earth is there to worry about? It shouldn't be news that Prince's music can be “odd and experimental”, it's part of what made him an interesting and original artist. I welcome the opportunity to be challenged by his music.

Personally, I'm not hearing a huge gulf (in either content or quality) between the studio version and the live version. They're just different, as you'd expect.

[Edited 4/29/17 19:07pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 04/29/17 6:58pm

luvgirl

eek Wow I thought this version was absolutely astounding! I love it just as much as the live. I can't even choose now which one I love the most. I'm surprised people are disappointed. It's so very Prince...
[Edited 4/29/17 19:02pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 04/29/17 6:58pm

Doozer

avatar

Crazy talk. I'm thrilled that EI studio version is different from the live version that's been around for years. Isn't that what made Prince great - that his live renditions of songs were often beautifully different than the studio track? This is just a case where the process was reversed for us.
Check out The Mountains and the Sea, a Prince podcast by yours truly and my wife. More info at https://www.facebook.com/TMATSPodcast/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 04/29/17 7:08pm

purplerabbitho
le

My apologies. Not commenting further.

OldFriends4Sale said:

purplerabbithole said:

Sorry, rehearsal footage.

I don't think studio Electric intercourse is nails on a chalkboard...(but it is experimental sounding). WTF???]

Moonbeam Levels is pretty solid and not at all jarring or piercing. So, I am not sure what that lady is talking about..

BTW, some people are more Prince and the Revolution fans than Prince fans on this site.

what does that have to do with anything.

And both are still Prince in there

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 04/29/17 7:08pm

luvgirl

justAmeda said:

eek all I can say is Moonbeam Levels that was "officially released" and Electric Intercourse (official release" has me wonder who's staying drunk or high (possibly both) to even think these are great pieces! It's like nails on a chalkboard listening to it. I LOVE the live version of Electric Intercourse and the unreleased demo that got leaked months ago. But this stuff makes me cringe at the workmanship that went into putting this album together!




Whaaaat???? Nails on a chalk board???? shocked omfg eyepop eek
No way, this version of EI is so unique. That's what so special about it. I love it! I'm ecstatic for June 23! Can someone say Wonderful A$$ and Katrina'a Paper Doll??! excited
[Edited 4/29/17 19:08pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 04/29/17 7:08pm

jaawwnn

avatar

I suppose part of the Prince legend is that he has a vault of hundreds (or thousands) of unreleased, complete, tracks just sitting there. He's known as (one of) the greatest artists ever because he has so much stuff done and just you wait till you hear it mr doubter!

Now that it's starting to come out the reality is a fair few people are of the opinion that Electric Intercourse doesn't quite sound as complete as they'd like to sound, doesn't quite sound like the amazing hit track that he just wasn't bothered to release because he'd already moved on. Thay maybe he made the right decision to not release it at the time.

It doesn't mean these things aren't worth hearing and releasing but we might want to alter our expectations.

I mean, I dunno, I think it sounds pretty amazing myself but I can kind of see why he didn't release it over TBO.


[Edited 4/29/17 19:10pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 04/29/17 7:13pm

ufoclub

avatar

purplerabbithole said:

My apologies. Not commenting further.

OldFriends4Sale said:

what does that have to do with anything.

And both are still Prince in there

I'm kind of kidding! You should always post what you want.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 04/29/17 7:13pm

purplerabbitho
le

EI studio version seems emotionally detached in comparision to the live version. But having said that, considering the lyrics are about sex and electric currents being equated with personal physical chemistry between two people, maybe the oddball almost dreamy in a matrix-kind of way arrangment of the song is actually more suitable, thematically speaking.

But like I said, the longing in the live version is something special and I am sad that it is not there.

fen said:

jaawwnn said:

This is basically a good description of the stuff I want to hear from the archives...

[Edited 4/29/17 18:06pm]

I couldn't agree more jaawwnn, I feel exactly the same way. What on earth is there to worry about? It shouldn't be news that Prince's music can be “odd and experimental”, it's part of what made him an interesting and original artist. I welcome the opportunity to be challenged by his music.

Personally, I'm not hearing a huge gulf (in either content or quality) between the studio version and the live version. They're just different, as you'd expect.

[Edited 4/29/17 19:07pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 04/29/17 7:30pm

purplerabbitho
le

I wasn't reacting to you.

BTW, I love Days of Wild... biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

ufoclub said:

purplerabbithole said:

My apologies. Not commenting further.

I'm kind of kidding! You should always post what you want.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 04/29/17 7:40pm

EddieC

I don't have a problem at all with the versions they're releasing being ones we're not familiar with--I mean, isn't that good? We already (well, quite a few of us) have the leaked ones, so why not enjoying hearing the "new" music? Now, that's not to say I don't also want perfect sounding versions of what I've already heard (but I know that everything I have is not going to get official release no matter how long they keep releasing stuff)... but how does it hurt us to have a different version? It just seems like a win, to me. More music!!! Yay!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 04/29/17 7:41pm

fen

avatar

purplerabbithole said:

EI studio version seems emotionally detached in comparision to the live version. But having said that, considering the lyrics are about sex and electric currents being equated with personal physical chemistry between two people, maybe the oddball almost dreamy in a matrix-kind of way arrangment of the song is actually more suitable, thematically speaking.

But like I said, the longing in the live version is something special and I am sad that it is not there.

fen said:

I couldn't agree more jaawwnn, I feel exactly the same way. What on earth is there to worry about? It shouldn't be news that Prince's music can be “odd and experimental”, it's part of what made him an interesting and original artist. I welcome the opportunity to be challenged by his music.

Personally, I'm not hearing a huge gulf (in either content or quality) between the studio version and the live version. They're just different, as you'd expect.

[Edited 4/29/17 19:07pm]

I understand what you are saying, but the studio version has its own unique qualities and I'm happy to have both. “Girl” is one of my favourite Prince tracks, so you can probably see why I might like this version of EI.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 04/29/17 8:33pm

sulls

avatar

EI studio version blew me away. I love the rehearsals and 08/03/83 performance too. Just as with many of the songs Prince performed live, the live arrangement was often different than the studio version. That's exactly what we're seeing here. That is one of the most exciting things about being a Prince fan.

[Edited 4/29/17 20:34pm]

[Edited 4/29/17 20:37pm]

"I like to watch."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 04/29/17 9:31pm

rdhull

avatar

What the hell happeend to folks since I've been away? Who let this happen?

c'mon baby, where's ya guts?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 04/29/17 11:34pm

hyperpessimist

Personally I'm not worried about PR deluxe because I gave up on the release after I saw that tracklist full of "single edits"... Now, giving up on the release is not the same as giving up on the music... I love this version of EI because it's yet another piece of the musical puzzle, personally I don't like to elect my favourite version of any track, they are all opportunities to get a glimpse of P's craftsmanship, a glimpse of the time when the tracks were made, etc. -- a bit like how I love the slightly rough sound on the circulating "Grand Progression", as I feel it adds to the longing feeling of the track -- if it ever gets released in pristine sound quality I think something will be lost, somehow...

...

A few more words about PR deluxe - it does seem like a missed opportunity... A bigger box set with all albums from the era (The Time, Appolonia6) + DVD of the film + live DVD + further out-takes and demos. Something that would dig deep into the vaults. I have a feeling that they haven't been able to access the actual vault, so they scraped the barrell of whatever WB already had. Shame, really, and it adds to my feeling that major labels have indeed become quite anachronistic - or it's me getting old wink

...

I'm not endorsing bootlegs, to each its own, but in this day and age there seems to be such a gap between pop music as a product for entertainment and pop music as a gateway to a deeper understanding of History and culture. Now, there is nothing wrong with entertainment in itself (although this current "turbo" mode feels a bit too much at times), but I just wish both modes were more fluid. Compare this PR Deluxe with the tracklist for the imminent "Flesh+Madrid sessions" boot... I certainly know which one I think deserved an official release.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 04/30/17 12:16am

SweetKathleen

A lot of the comments sound like they come from long-term, hardcore fans who have been listening to bootlegs quite a bit. I would like to chime in as someone who was an early-ish fan who took a break from Prince after daily life slapped me in the face and then Prince took a left turn that I couldn't relate to (name change/symbol). I have not had much exposure to bootlegs.

I had pretty high hopes for the Purple Rain Deluxe release. Based on what I had read regarding how much unreleased material he had from the timeframe, I expected more "new" material rather than variations on already released songs. So I was a little disappointed in what was being offered on Purple Rain Deluxe. But I went ahead and ordered the extended set yesterday. I want to support official releases in the hopes that they will do more releases (and maybe better?). I look forward to getting it in June and I expect to savor each track for the genius that was Prince and hope for more to come.

I miss you my friend --jj, me, and many others
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 04/30/17 12:34am

jaypotton

IstenSzek said:

there is no demo for electric intercourse. only rehearsal and live.

also, this is pretty much on our own heads since we collected bootlegs and have
accustomed ourselves with those leaked versions for years or decades.

when these songs are finally released in whatever version, it's hardly anybody's
fault but our own if they are less spectacular than some 7th generation walkman
recorded rehearsal tape we've been listening to since 1991.

well, not less spectacular anyway, just different.



yeahthat

Which another reason Prince was against bootlegs (eventually if not at first) because it took away from his ability to repurpose or rerecord something and include on a new album without people saying...oh I preferred the old version. 1000 Hugs n Kisses springs to mind.

For example, my favourite version of We Can Funk is without doubt the one with Miko Weaver's guitar solo and yet here are multiple versions of that song so I would expect others to prefer other versions.
[Edited 4/30/17 0:37am]
'I loved him then, I love him now and will love him eternally. He's with our son now.' Mayte 21st April 2016 = the saddest quote I have ever read! RIP Prince and thanks for everything.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 04/30/17 1:33am

OperatingTheta
n

avatar

Electric Intercourse is genius. It's pure Prince - the kind of song only Prince could've made. And those are the kind of songs I most want to hear.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 04/30/17 1:45am

paulludvig

OperatingThetan said:

Electric Intercourse is genius. It's pure Prince - the kind of song only Prince could've made. And those are the kind of songs I most want to hear.


Agreed! I wasn't to exited about PR Deluxe at First but now I am.
The wooh is on the one!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > After hearing Electric Intercouse (studio) anyone else worried about PR Deluxe?