independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 20th Nov 2019 2:33am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince between 2009 and 2013 on.
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 4 1234>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 10/21/16 6:56pm

anangellooksdo
wn

Prince between 2009 and 2013 on.

I was just watching Montreux 2009 and have also seen clips of Montreux 2013.
We all know he started growing out his hair into an Afro sometime between 2009 & 2013. As we've noticed of course, he really seemed to move into a very natural proud cool black man personality in looks, dress, music, civic interests within the black community although that was probably there earlier, etc.

What do you think made him so hip and "black" again?
Do you think he was running from the pain of romance(s) that didn't work so he steeped into another personality, perhaps an extreme one, or something else like that? Or was it just a subconscious evolvement? Or something else?
[Edited 10/21/16 19:00pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 10/21/16 7:17pm

tab32792

No. I think he just got to the point in his life and career where he could really say do and be who he really was and or grew into being. No more chasing hits trying to crossover with rock sounds and multiracial bands. Plus this was an almost 60 year old man who lived thru seen and did a lot in life as well as been they a lot. Whether his "fans" like to believe or acknowledge it, Prince was a black man and proud of it
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 10/21/16 7:23pm

ufoclub

avatar

Well he did concentrate a lot on rock in his last phase with 3rd Eye Girl, and as Sheila E said, he always wanted a straight up rock band... so I don't think it was a clear shift to R&B/urban/ musically speaking.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 10/21/16 7:40pm

StopIt

"... a natural proud cool black man?"

K. eek

Others knew and know he was taken advantage of by ignorant, money-grubbing, race baiting liars like some of his "representatives", their "charitities", and other "special interests", including, clearly, BLM which is a heap of utter b.s.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 10/21/16 7:41pm

DiamondsnPearl
s44

avatar

Oh Lawd....here we go again lol neutral

RIP Prince I will forever heart and miss U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 10/21/16 7:45pm

gandorb

StopIt said:

"... a natural proud cool black man?"



K. eek



Others knew and know he was taken advantage of by ignorant, money-grubbing, race baiting liars like some of his "representatives", their "charitities", and other "special interests", including, clearly, BLM which is a heap of utter b.s.






Consistent with your praise of Trump.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 10/21/16 7:54pm

3rdeyeboy

So is 'white' not hip then? Damn, I'm screwed. I thought I had it down.


  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 10/21/16 8:12pm

laurarichardso
n

StopIt said:

"... a natural proud cool black man?"



K. eek



Others knew and know he was taken advantage of by ignorant, money-grubbing, race baiting liars like some of his "representatives", their "charitities", and other "special interests", including, clearly, BLM which is a heap of utter b.s.





--Yes, because charities like we can code are so horrible.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 10/22/16 12:07am

oliviacamron

avatar

He was always reinventing himself with a new look and sound. I do think he choose the natural hair look to make a black statement maybe kind of because he police shit but I think he was trying to have natural curls but his hair wasn't really curling like he wanted it to. Natural hair has been trending. Now Prince does the opposite of what everyone else does and goes with trends at the same time. The black beads he wore seem more like a black statement like black lives matter. Black lives do matter . And so do pets lives and Purple lives and all lives matter. I need to go to bed . good night
I asked Prince what he was planning to do. He told me , I'm going to look for the ladder. I asked him what that meant. All he said was, sometimes it snows in April. - book D.M.S.R.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 10/22/16 12:40am

PeteSilas

anangellooksdown said:

I was just watching Montreux 2009 and have also seen clips of Montreux 2013. We all know he started growing out his hair into an Afro sometime between 2009 & 2013. As we've noticed of course, he really seemed to move into a very natural proud cool black man personality in looks, dress, music, civic interests within the black community although that was probably there earlier, etc. What do you think made him so hip and "black" again? Do you think he was running from the pain of romance(s) that didn't work so he steeped into another personality, perhaps an extreme one, or something else like that? Or was it just a subconscious evolvement? Or something else? [Edited 10/21/16 19:00pm]

many people say he went full circle, it's true. I point out that elvis did the same, people close to him believed in the adage that people go full circle and he said he was worried when he saw elvis eating grits, greens, po' folk food instead of the food he had eaten for the last couple decades. I think it's true. Just today, I was thinking of my failed career as a fighter, failed because I could never get the idiots around me to see anything other than their own silly interests. One of the first times I sparred, I was a kid, i did horrible but the trainer said "you have a fast right hand". The last time I sparred, some 20 years later, with a former kickboxing and ufc champion, he said "you have a fast right hand". all of it told me that it was time to stop and i did.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 10/22/16 12:43am

PeteSilas

laurarichardson said:

StopIt said:

"... a natural proud cool black man?"

K. eek

Others knew and know he was taken advantage of by ignorant, money-grubbing, race baiting liars like some of his "representatives", their "charitities", and other "special interests", including, clearly, BLM which is a heap of utter b.s.

--Yes, because charities like we can code are so horrible.

of course the white fans, and his white musicians did not like it when he went black, well, newsflash, the man was black and he would have never had anything other than a black experience in this country without his vast talent.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 10/22/16 12:45am

PeteSilas

ufoclub said:

Well he did concentrate a lot on rock in his last phase with 3rd Eye Girl, and as Sheila E said, he always wanted a straight up rock band... so I don't think it was a clear shift to R&B/urban/ musically speaking.

that's true but the best stuff in the last couple years is vintage randb. the rock stuff is the weakest stuff, i didn't really care for the other album released with aoa, can't even think of it's name at the moment, but derivative, weak, not a serious album and it showed.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 10/22/16 1:02am

jaawwnn

avatar

PeteSilas said:

ufoclub said:

Well he did concentrate a lot on rock in his last phase with 3rd Eye Girl, and as Sheila E said, he always wanted a straight up rock band... so I don't think it was a clear shift to R&B/urban/ musically speaking.

that's true but the best stuff in the last couple years is vintage randb. the rock stuff is the weakest stuff, i didn't really care for the other album released with aoa, can't even think of it's name at the moment, but derivative, weak, not a serious album and it showed.

Plectrumelectrum is a serious album.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 10/22/16 1:04am

PeteSilas

jaawwnn said:

PeteSilas said:

that's true but the best stuff in the last couple years is vintage randb. the rock stuff is the weakest stuff, i didn't really care for the other album released with aoa, can't even think of it's name at the moment, but derivative, weak, not a serious album and it showed.

Plectrumelectrum is a serious album.

i guess i could listen again, wouldn't be the first time i was wrong, but I didn't like what i heard, sounded like a lot of secondhand riffing to me. He could be forgiven, aoa more than made up for it.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 10/22/16 1:07am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

anangellooksdown said:

I was just watching Montreux 2009 and have also seen clips of Montreux 2013. We all know he started growing out his hair into an Afro sometime between 2009 & 2013. As we've noticed of course, he really seemed to move into a very natural proud cool black man personality in looks, dress, music, civic interests within the black community although that was probably there earlier, etc. What do you think made him so hip and "black" again? Do you think he was running from the pain of romance(s) that didn't work so he steeped into another personality, perhaps an extreme one, or something else like that? Or was it just a subconscious evolvement? Or something else?


Y'all can really read shit into something. When did Prince stop being black? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

BUT, Prince let the fro come back around 2012. If you look at pics then, the fro was coming in, albeit still short. Ain't got shit to do with romance.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 10/22/16 1:09am

jaawwnn

avatar

PeteSilas said:

jaawwnn said:

Plectrumelectrum is a serious album.

i guess i could listen again, wouldn't be the first time i was wrong, but I didn't like what i heard, sounded like a lot of secondhand riffing to me. He could be forgiven, aoa more than made up for it.

It has its moments but it's not great overall I agree with that, AOA is definitely better but it'd be dishonest imho to say his heart wasn't in it. I think it just wasn't his greatest effort but not because he didn't believe in it.

[Edited 10/22/16 1:09am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 10/22/16 1:28am

fbueller

avatar

.

[Edited 10/24/16 0:34am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 10/22/16 10:46am

marshmullow

As I get ready to type this reply, the qote at the top is "u ever see a black man play guitar with no clothes on" lol
I think he was always "black" if that means... wait what does that mean. Since the 80s, his art showed us who he was. Did everyone catch what he was throwing out, maybe not, but if you related you most likely did.
As far as his hair, maybe he figured he no longer wanted to spend so much time on his hair shrug
Feelings... that sums it up.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 10/22/16 10:59am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

marshmullow said:

As far as his hair, maybe he figured he no longer wanted to spend so much time on his hair shrug


I almost typed that in my earlier response! lol There is a certain level of sweet irony in that we first and last saw him looking almost the same, albeit with a bit of experience and age on his face near the end.

But I do sorta think he just didn't wanna fuss with it as much.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 10/22/16 12:33pm

rogifan

tab32792 said:

No. I think he just got to the point in his life and career where he could really say do and be who he really was and or grew into being. No more chasing hits trying to crossover with rock sounds and multiracial bands. Plus this was an almost 60 year old man who lived thru seen and did a lot in life as well as been they a lot. Whether his "fans" like to believe or acknowledge it, Prince was a black man and proud of it

Ok this is hilarious. Have you forgotten about 3rdEye Girl which was an all white rock and roll band? Or NPG Hornz which was multi racial.
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 10/22/16 12:40pm

rogifan

PeteSilas said:



ufoclub said:


Well he did concentrate a lot on rock in his last phase with 3rd Eye Girl, and as Sheila E said, he always wanted a straight up rock band... so I don't think it was a clear shift to R&B/urban/ musically speaking.



that's true but the best stuff in the last couple years is vintage randb. the rock stuff is the weakest stuff, i didn't really care for the other album released with aoa, can't even think of it's name at the moment, but derivative, weak, not a serious album and it showed.


Maybe on record it was but I'll take his rock stuff on stage any day. Of course that didn't just start with 3rdEye Girl. One of my favorite shows is North Sea Jazz in 2011. He killed it on guitar. I always enjoyed the live shows where he played guitar more than the ones where he was just playing band leader or on keys.
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 10/22/16 12:42pm

rogifan

TrivialPursuit said:



marshmullow said:


As far as his hair, maybe he figured he no longer wanted to spend so much time on his hair shrug


I almost typed that in my earlier response! lol There is a certain level of sweet irony in that we first and last saw him looking almost the same, albeit with a bit of experience and age on his face near the end.

But I do sorta think he just didn't wanna fuss with it as much.


That's what his hair stylist Kim Berry said. Going natural was just easier.
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 10/22/16 3:34pm

Missmusicluver
72

WTF?? eek Prince was always a proud black man! Anyways, I liked how he was always changing his looks throughout the years. Such a chamelon and was always fly, IMO. cool

Love is God, God is love, girls and boys love God above~
The only Love there is, is the Love We Make~
Prince4Ever
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 10/22/16 3:45pm

laurarichardso
n

rogifan said:

tab32792 said:

No. I think he just got to the point in his life and career where he could really say do and be who he really was and or grew into being. No more chasing hits trying to crossover with rock sounds and multiracial bands. Plus this was an almost 60 year old man who lived thru seen and did a lot in life as well as been they a lot. Whether his "fans" like to believe or acknowledge it, Prince was a black man and proud of it

Ok this is hilarious. Have you forgotten about 3rdEye Girl which was an all white rock and roll band? Or NPG Hornz which was multi racial.

-- Being pro black does not mean you are anti-people. You can be pro-black and not against other races.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 10/22/16 4:36pm

ForeverPaisley

anangellooksdown said:

I was just watching Montreux 2009 and have also seen clips of Montreux 2013. We all know he started growing out his hair into an Afro sometime between 2009 & 2013. As we've noticed of course, he really seemed to move into a very natural proud cool black man personality in looks, dress, music, civic interests within the black community although that was probably there earlier, etc. What do you think made him so hip and "black" again? Do you think he was running from the pain of romance(s) that didn't work so he steeped into another personality, perhaps an extreme one, or something else like that? Or was it just a subconscious evolvement? Or something else? [Edited 10/21/16 19:00pm]

He didn't start growing the fro until 2012. The Welcome 2 America/Welcome 2 Europe (including TV spots like George Lopez) is 2010/2011 and he clearly has his short, coifed, glittery hair still.

Dance where y'are, just groove y'all.
canada
Commemorative Guitar Picks, Buttons & Magnets - check Marketplace 4 info
wave thumbs up!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 10/22/16 4:39pm

ForeverPaisley

3rdeyeboy said:

So is 'white' not hip then? Damn, I'm screwed. I thought I had it down.


This is literally one of the funniest movies EVER! bow R.I.P. Gene cry

Dance where y'are, just groove y'all.
canada
Commemorative Guitar Picks, Buttons & Magnets - check Marketplace 4 info
wave thumbs up!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 10/22/16 5:38pm

26ten

StopIt said:

"... a natural proud cool black man?"

K. eek

Others knew and know he was taken advantage of by ignorant, money-grubbing, race baiting liars like some of his "representatives", their "charitities", and other "special interests", including, clearly, BLM which is a heap of utter b.s.

Haha what? This wasn't the late 60s and Prince was not Jimi getting flack from the panthers. I don't think you know what you're talking about AT ALL - and I have no opinion on BLM or otherwise. What a preposterous thing to write haha

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 10/22/16 6:40pm

PeteSilas

26ten said:

StopIt said:

"... a natural proud cool black man?"

K. eek

Others knew and know he was taken advantage of by ignorant, money-grubbing, race baiting liars like some of his "representatives", their "charitities", and other "special interests", including, clearly, BLM which is a heap of utter b.s.

Haha what? This wasn't the late 60s and Prince was not Jimi getting flack from the panthers. I don't think you know what you're talking about AT ALL - and I have no opinion on BLM or otherwise. What a preposterous thing to write haha

prince went through 38 years in the public eye, not all of that was him at the same place as a person. he did get heat (as just about any black celeb does) in the eighties and he did say things and do things to minimize his allegiance to black people, so, he did come full circle by the end, unashamedly and proudly black, and i say this from what I get from his songs, his statements and his actions.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 10/22/16 6:43pm

malbena

gandorb said:

StopIt said:

"... a natural proud cool black man?"

K. eek

Others knew and know he was taken advantage of by ignorant, money-grubbing, race baiting liars like some of his "representatives", their "charitities", and other "special interests", including, clearly, BLM which is a heap of utter b.s.

Consistent with your praise of Trump.

Ditto!.

This is my normal life. These marital standards cannot be recreated with money.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 10/22/16 8:11pm

PennyPurple

avatar

PeteSilas said:

laurarichardson said:

StopIt said: --Yes, because charities like we can code are so horrible.

of course the white fans, and his white musicians did not like it when he went black, well, newsflash, the man was black and he would have never had anything other than a black experience in this country without his vast talent.

Don't lump all of us white people together.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 4 1234>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince between 2009 and 2013 on.