independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 15th Nov 2019 7:17am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Quick Snapshot: The MOMENT U Fell In Love With Prince!!!
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 05/18/16 5:38pm

soladeo1

Quick Snapshot: The MOMENT U Fell In Love With Prince!!!

Me. 1984. Late summer. Brunswick, Maine. I was a blonde, nerdy 11 year old boy. For my birthday I had just received a $69 dual radio, tape deck, and alarm. One morning I set it to go off. Like instructed, the next morning it went off set to the local Portland Top 40 radio station, W.I.G.Y. The music that awoke me was so amazing, so audacious, so pulsating with life that I prayed the DJ would announce at the end who it was.

My prayers were answered: "...and that's the latest from Prince and The Revolution with they're hit song Let's Go Crazy..."

I lifelong love affair was born.

What was yours??
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 05/18/16 5:47pm

nursev

As a child in Detroit I went through alot. I found solace in my room just listening to music. So one night Im in my bed with a big ass pair of headphones on (it was 1981 so give me a break lol ) and I hear this voice singing Do Me Baby lol at 9 I had no idea what the hell he was talking about, but the voice was so beautiful I instantly fell in love. A few weeks later at the Wrecka Stow lol I actually saw his face on an album cover and it was love at first site and it was on then falloff I was 9 then and now Im 44 and he is gone and I still heart his music. And that my friends is a beautiful thing razz

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 05/18/16 5:52pm

soladeo1

nursev said:

As a child in Detroit I went through alot. I found solace in my room just listening to music. So one night Im in my bed with a big ass pair of headphones on (it was 1981 so give me a break lol ) and I hear this voice singing Do Me Baby lol at 9 I had no idea what the hell he was talking about, but the voice was so beautiful I instantly fell in love. A few weeks later at the Wrecka Stow lol I actually saw his face on an album cover and it was love at first site and it was on then falloff I was 9 then and now Im 44 and he is gone and I still heart his music. And that my friends is a beautiful thing razz



That's beautiful.

And yes, Do Me, Baby is beautiful. I didn't know what it was about the first time I heard it but I thought it was beautiful too.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 05/18/16 5:53pm

214

In 2008 with 20 years when i saw his live performance of Somewhere Here On Earth with Jay Leno.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 05/18/16 5:54pm

soladeo1

214 said:

In 2008 with 20 years when i saw his live performance of Somewhere Here On Earth with Jay Leno.



A newbie! ;-)

God bless U.

I need to check out that performance before it's taken down by Prince's phantom attorney army!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 05/18/16 5:55pm

nursev

soladeo1 said:

Me. 1984. Late summer. Brunswick, Maine. I was a blonde, nerdy 11 year old boy. For my birthday I had just received a $69 dual radio, tape deck, and alarm. One morning I set it to go off. Like instructed, the next morning it went off set to the local Portland Top 40 radio station, W.I.G.Y. The music that awoke me was so amazing, so audacious, so pulsating with life that I prayed the DJ would announce at the end who it was. My prayers were answered: "...and that's the latest from Prince and The Revolution with they're hit song Let's Go Crazy..." I lifelong love affair was born. What was yours??

Aww how sweet that Prince woke u up lol razz

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 05/18/16 5:55pm

nursev

soladeo1 said:

nursev said:

As a child in Detroit I went through alot. I found solace in my room just listening to music. So one night Im in my bed with a big ass pair of headphones on (it was 1981 so give me a break lol ) and I hear this voice singing Do Me Baby lol at 9 I had no idea what the hell he was talking about, but the voice was so beautiful I instantly fell in love. A few weeks later at the Wrecka Stow lol I actually saw his face on an album cover and it was love at first site and it was on then falloff I was 9 then and now Im 44 and he is gone and I still heart his music. And that my friends is a beautiful thing razz

That's beautiful. And yes, Do Me, Baby is beautiful. I didn't know what it was about the first time I heard it but I thought it was beautiful too.

indeed it is a beautiful song wink

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 05/18/16 5:58pm

DarlingKris

2006. I loved his voice but when I saw a picture of him, it was love at first sight and he became husband #2

Forever In My Life, forever in my heart. I love you Prince Rogers Nelson heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 05/18/16 5:59pm

nursev

DarlingKris said:

2006. I loved his voice but when I saw a picture of him, it was love at first sight and he became husband #2

the pic always sealed the deal lol razz

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 05/18/16 6:04pm

gigilamorosa

Oh, this is easy. My parents had a vast record collection and I used to spend hours just looking at the jackets. I remember looking at the covers of Prince and For You and just being gobsmacked. Like WHO is this!? Mind, I was pretty young still. But that was it. I was sold from then on.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 05/18/16 6:05pm

Elvie

avatar

In the 80s when I was in my early teens I ended up watching a late night music tv show one evening. He was singing "Miss You" with the Rolling Stones and I was drawn into his style and funk. Later I discovered more of his rare performances, saw him in concert in the 90s in London and even ended up writing to Paisley park and sending a drawing that I did of prince to them. They phoned me back and left me a message (on my mums answering machine) saying Prince had received my art work and liked it very much. They sent me a subscription to his magazine, controversy I think and I was hooked.. for life. <3
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 05/18/16 6:06pm

soladeo1

Elvie said:

In the 80s when I was in my early teens I ended up watching a late night music tv show one evening. He was singing "Miss You" with the Rolling Stones and I was drawn into his style and funk. Later I discovered more of his rare performances, saw him in concert in the 90s in London and even ended up writing to Paisley park and sending a drawing that I did of prince to them. They phoned me back and left me a message (on my mums answering machine) saying Prince had received my art work and liked it very much. They sent me a subscription to his magazine, controversy I think and I was hooked.. for life. <3


Wow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 05/18/16 6:13pm

morningsong

You guys are making me sick with all these romantical, soul inspiring discoveries of Prince.


All I got is I was a 13 year old girl and he looked liked this...

Not really all that complicated. smile

It wasn't for a couple of years until all the deep, inspiring soul searching stuff started happening for me.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 05/18/16 6:20pm

214

soladeo1 said:

214 said:

In 2008 with 20 years when i saw his live performance of Somewhere Here On Earth with Jay Leno.

A newbie! wink God bless U. I need to check out that performance before it's taken down by Prince's phantom attorney army!

Thanks, God bless you too.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 05/18/16 7:24pm

captiveunicorn

In my mind I was older but I just looked it up on wikipedia so I know I must have only been 11 - I remember being entranced by the music videos for Gett Off, Diamonds and Pearls, and Cream. I just loved them. I thought the women dancers in the videos were so beautiful and the sentiment of Diamonds and Pearls just made me melt. The sexual stuff honestly went over my head at that age, I just thought they were beautiful to watch. I guess at 11 I wanted to grow up to be one of those beautiful women that would inspire a song like Diamonds and Pearls lol .

[True confession: For years - and please remember this was the early 90s and we had no internet and very limited access to goss from the USA - I mistakenly believed that Prince was married to his backup SINGER Rosie Gaines and not his backup dancer Mayte! I used to think it was really cool that he wrote all those songs about her and I was really upset when I heard they split up! I thought that was why she stopped singing with him lol!]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 05/18/16 7:35pm

jds

1984. My sister noticed that the only songs I sung along to on the radio were Prince, so she bought me Purple Rain. That was soon followed by 1999. I used to listen to those two albums (on tape) right though in bed at night before I went to sleep. Next came ATWIAD, the start of a lifetime (until now) of buying every Prince album as soon as it came out. Normally I was a bit disappointed by each new album, it took time to grow on me and was always very new, very different. But in time each album grew to be a favourite. Later on I filled in the earlier albums, right the way back. So many great songs and attached memories.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 05/18/16 7:47pm

gilliaj

I was just starting to form my own music tastes around 92-93 and recalled hearing Cream on the radio and really liked it. The first albums I bought were The Hits 1 and 2 on cassette and I remember thinking that because they were hits albums, maybe I would find some other songs I liked other than Cream, Diamonds and Pearls, and 7 (because those compilations would be a long slog fast forwarding to those songs towards the end!) I listened to Hits 2 first because it was the one with Cream on it. The songs Controversy and Dirty Mind blew my young mind. I wasn't sure if I liked them at first, but I was compelled to listen to them and they got stuck in my head because they sounded so strange and compelling and "retro" to me. Anyway, I slowly started collecting more cassettes and I think the Sign of the Times album was what really hit home for me.

However, the moment I knew Prince was becoming an obsession when I saw my first TV appearance of him live. It was the first VH1 Honors performance in '94 when he did Interactive and Endorphinmachine and the raw passion, his look, and guitar playing made me a young obsessive! I just didn't think it could get any better than that, and to this day that's still my favorite era. The same time period when everyone else was starting to write him off as a weird has been, to me he was the coolest, baddest mofo in the world!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 05/18/16 8:35pm

bookwomen

avatar

I was a senior in High School in 1979 and he was singin I Wanna Be Your Lover to only me

music

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 05/18/16 8:57pm

BobGeorge909

avatar

I was a sophomore in H.S. I believe. Around '94. I was familiar with the prince album and dug it a bunch. Was very familiar with the batman sdtk as well.

... I smirked when I saw 'Vanessa Bartholomew' come out to be introduce prince with a little black and gold cardboard prince ...


...then some crazy dude with a tight black flowy bodysuit and some nutty pixie haircut was rocking out with a prince shaped guitar and some UNDENIABLY hot Puerto Rican broad with a beautifuly gorgeous ass in a tight white bodysuit was shaking said ass and dancing and head banging...crazy outrageous...then rainbow wigged dancerrs are running around the arena and dude is STILL rocking and screaming even louder...sounding NOTHING like let's go crazy, raspberry Beret, lemon crush, party man OR Sexy M.F....completely new and I utterly loved it...never heard it before but still feeling like I'd always known the songs somehow.....


...I dug him b4....but with that performance I fell in love, not in a gay way...but in adoration?... The hook had been around...but this set the hook in. I was mesmorized. I had taped it and must have watched it over and over 50 times that night...it was insane. My little brain had exploded all over my little room.
[Edited 5/18/16 21:05pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 05/18/16 9:38pm

gilliaj

BobGeorge909 said:

I was a sophomore in H.S. I believe. Around '94. I was familiar with the prince album and dug it a bunch. Was very familiar with the batman sdtk as well.

... I smirked when I saw 'Vanessa Bartholomew' come out to be introduce prince with a little black and gold cardboard prince ...


...then some crazy dude with a tight black flowy bodysuit and some nutty pixie haircut was rocking out with a prince shaped guitar and some UNDENIABLY hot Puerto Rican broad with a beautifuly gorgeous ass in a tight white bodysuit was shaking said ass and dancing and head banging...crazy outrageous...then rainbow wigged dancerrs are running around the arena and dude is STILL rocking and screaming even louder...sounding NOTHING like let's go crazy, raspberry Beret, lemon crush, party man OR Sexy M.F....completely new and I utterly loved it...never heard it before but still feeling like I'd always known the songs somehow.....


...I dug him b4....but with that performance I fell in love, not in a gay way...but in adoration?... The hook had been around...but this set the hook in. I was mesmorized. I had taped it and must have watched it over and over 50 times that night...it was insane. My little brain had exploded all over my little room.
[Edited 5/18/16 21:05pm]

It appears we have a lot in common!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 05/18/16 9:58pm

BobGeorge909

avatar

gilliaj said:

BobGeorge909 said:

I was a sophomore in H.S. I believe. Around '94. I was familiar with the prince album and dug it a bunch. Was very familiar with the batman sdtk as well.

... I smirked when I saw 'Vanessa Bartholomew' come out to be introduce prince with a little black and gold cardboard prince ...


...then some crazy dude with a tight black flowy bodysuit and some nutty pixie haircut was rocking out with a prince shaped guitar and some UNDENIABLY hot Puerto Rican broad with a beautifuly gorgeous ass in a tight white bodysuit was shaking said ass and dancing and head banging...crazy outrageous...then rainbow wigged dancerrs are running around the arena and dude is STILL rocking and screaming even louder...sounding NOTHING like let's go crazy, raspberry Beret, lemon crush, party man OR Sexy M.F....completely new and I utterly loved it...never heard it before but still feeling like I'd always known the songs somehow.....


...I dug him b4....but with that performance I fell in love, not in a gay way...but in adoration?... The hook had been around...but this set the hook in. I was mesmorized. I had taped it and must have watched it over and over 50 times that night...it was insane. My little brain had exploded all over my little room.
[Edited 5/18/16 21:05pm]

It appears we have a lot in common!


After seeing your reply, I went ahead and read your reply... and u seem to be correct sir! highfive
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 05/18/16 10:46pm

Shockedelicus

The moment that Computer Blue began when I first put on Purple Rain.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 05/18/16 10:46pm

Minnie116

I was on the founding staff of my university's student-run radio station in the '70s (damn I feel old recalling this story - I'm actually just a few months older than P, LOL). This radio station had been operating about a year and one afternoon prior to going on the air, I was alone in the studio preparing my show for the same night. The "treasure box" as I liked to call it arrived ... the weekly shipment of demos and first albums by new musicians. Among the albums was Prince "For You," and there was something about his face (probably those eyes) on the album's cover that made me randomly choose to listen to it while finishing some pre-show work. I remember hearing his voice for the very first time and how blown away I was by his songs. I felt like I had just "discovered" someone special and could hardly wait until we were on the air and I could share this talented new artist and play the first Prince song from the first Prince album to ever air at my college - "Soft and Wet." I remember telling my listeners "This is Prince and this is a song from his new album - and he's going to be a superstar one day. Of course, back in those days, we religiously poured over album liner notes for background info. (and the much awaited copies of our subscriptions to Billboard, Rolling Stone and other industry periodicals). I remember how surprised I was to read P. played all the instruments, wrote the songs, music and produced his very first album at 18. I fell in love with him that afternoon, 38 years ago. smile

[Edited 5/18/16 22:47pm]

[Edited 5/18/16 22:50pm]

"A strong spirit transcends rules." - Prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 05/18/16 11:03pm

peer1973

1981: This beautifull tall blond girl took me to her room and played this great 7" called Controversy.

I was 8, the combination was great, at that moment i wished i was 18....

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 05/18/16 11:30pm

SpinsterSister

I was 13 years old, walking in my local mall and hit "Licorice Pizza" record shop really just to burn time...when I wandered over to the "bin" and found an 8 track (yes, I still played one then) of "For You" with a handsome young man on the front.Very proudly I went to the register and the male checker just rolled his eyes and I paid my $2.79.The song "For You" still resonates with me to this day - wonderous then and paradise now.I miss knowing that is not physically with us any longer, relieved that he is out of his confusion and pain-so wish he would have found his happy center with "the one".
Need me some fuzzy love....and yes, I wear clear heels
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 05/18/16 11:45pm

FragileUnderto
w

avatar

nursev said:

I hear this voice singing Do Me Baby lol at 9 I had no idea what the hell he was talking about, but the voice was so beautiful I instantly fell in love. A



At age 8 i had a copy of Controvercy, though if wasn't mine
I remember "Jack You Off" I knew it was nasty but not sure why I just knew lol
When 1999 came out I was hooked lol

9yrs old and I was jamming "let's pretend we're married'
tonk
Cant believe my purple psychedelic pimp slap pimp2

And I descend from grace, In arms of undertow
I will take my place, In the great below
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 05/18/16 11:47pm

SometimesIwond
er

July 29th 1993
Act II tour
Edinburgh Meadow Bank Stadium
Aged 17
On the big screen he turned & glanced to the crowd during Raspberry Beret & smiled a smile that stole the very breath from my body. That beautiful light that shone out from Him at that moment completely blinded me with love & that, was That! 😄
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 05/19/16 12:24am

panpac777

avatar

Solid Gold ? February 1983 first airing....I think... have to look it up in prince a documentary book. It packed away so oh well. I couldnt figure out who was singing 1999 cause every time it came on the radio in november & December 1982 I would miss the name of what I thought was a group at the time. Knew it wasnt kool and the gang or earth wind and fire so was a bit confused. I didnt realize it at the time but I had seen him before on Entertainment Tonight in the controversy over his sexuality video I believe in 1981. I was doing the laundry part of my chores and going to fold some clothes when I started hearing 1999 be played on my favorite show that I watched religiously "Solid Gold" So I ran to the front living room tv and OMG! A shiny purple Trench coat, a slide down a pole, and that face/that look/those eyes. I was like OMG! who is this???????????????? I did hear them say the Revolution. So I was still thinking it was a group.So I didn't figure it out right away until I saw the video on one of those video jukebox monitors at Fred Meyer (Kroger stores now) where u buy 3 music videos to watch for I can't remember like 50 cents each or $1.50 or something. This was before MTV was in the area of my suburb of portland oregon. The only thing was Friday Night Videos which I watched religously too.....Dance Fever, American Bandstand, Ect....I believe Solid Gold always aired on sundays around 7 pm or something like that on NBC. Of course Arsenio Hall did the last season or two in the late 80's.

[Edited 5/19/16 0:26am]

[Edited 5/19/16 0:27am]

[Edited 5/19/16 0:32am]

[Edited 5/19/16 0:36am]

[Edited 5/19/16 0:40am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 05/19/16 12:25am

DoItAllNight4U

avatar

nursev said:

DarlingKris said:

2006. I loved his voice but when I saw a picture of him, it was love at first sight and he became husband #2

the pic always sealed the deal lol razz

I saw a pic first then I heard the music

The deal was already sealed way before I heard anything lol lol

"I was here in the beginning and I'll be here forever more"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 05/19/16 12:32am

DoItAllNight4U

avatar

First, I heard "Raspberry Beret" on the 80's channel on Sirius XM radio in early 2010. I had very limited access to the internet so it's the only Prince song I heard for months.

Then I saw the last 30 minutes of Purple Rain that I DVR'd from VH1 later in the summer of 2010. I was 12, had always been a weird kid into 80's music, I Would Die 4 U and Baby I'm A Star really caught my attention. I don't know when or what moment happened in which I thought to myself " Okay, Prince is my favorite!" but those two I mentioned above is what started it all heart

[Edited 5/19/16 0:40am]

"I was here in the beginning and I'll be here forever more"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Quick Snapshot: The MOMENT U Fell In Love With Prince!!!