independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 20th Nov 2019 1:12am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > HitNRun Phase 2 Discussion – Album Tracks - RocknRoll Love Affair
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 12/13/15 4:13pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

HitNRun Phase 2 Discussion – Album Tracks - RocknRoll Love Affair

Please discuss here.

Edmonton, AB - canada
Mod Goddess of the SNIP & BAN Making Moves - OF4S
Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 12/13/15 7:29pm

bluegangsta

avatar

After inverting the tracks against each other, I discovered that not only is the mix exactly the same (with trumpets overdubbed) but the voice that says 'hello' & and 'its tight' is also different.

Another thing to add - I wish this was the longer version, with all of the additives.

[Edited 12/13/15 23:18pm]

Always cry 4 love, never cry 4 pain.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 12/13/15 10:54pm

Adorecream

Love the trumpets, makes it sound a lot more like Prince and less like Robert Cray. This is good.

Got some kind of love for you, and I don't even know your name
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 12/14/15 3:03am

Stranger

Nice enough, but toothless. Unnecessary.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 12/14/15 7:55am

luvsexy4all

shouldve left it where it was ..on the remix CD

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 12/14/15 8:51am

Identity


In a word, repulsive.


  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 12/14/15 10:23am

lezama

avatar

Remix 7 will always be my favorite version of this song, but I still enjoy it. It works well back to back with Baltimore.

Change it one more time..
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 12/14/15 1:27pm

2freaky4church
1

avatar

The added stuff makes it better. He has new vocals. Makes it a better song. Good.

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 12/14/15 2:25pm

funkaholic1972

avatar

ugh, not an improvement IMO. This must be the worst mix of this song. Never liked it, but now I detest it. The horns really irritate me in this version.

RIP Prince: thank U 4 a funky Time!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 12/14/15 3:21pm

Controversy

avatar

yeahthat

I just can't believe all the things people say !
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 12/14/15 3:22pm

Controversy

avatar

funkaholic1972 said:

ugh, not an improvement IMO. This must be the worst mix of this song. Never liked it, but now I detest it. The horns really irritate me in this version.

yeahthat

I just can't believe all the things people say !
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 12/14/15 3:36pm

XSX

avatar

It's as if prince has sampled himself up, put all those samples into a computer and then pressed 'bland' to get a new tune. And then put horns on it.
It's not unlistenable but it might be better if it was.

“I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions.”
-Robert Anton Wilson
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 12/14/15 7:44pm

controversy99

avatar

lezama said:

Remix 7 will always be my favorite version of this song, but I still enjoy it. It works well back to back with Baltimore.

Yep, Remix 7 is the jam. The rest of them are just ok. The original is my least favorite. This Phase Two version is one of the better mixes, but it suffers for me becauase I've already heard the song so many times in its prior appearances.

"Love & honesty, peace & harmony"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 12/14/15 8:00pm

V10LETBLUES

Always loved this track. This mix is good, but the original is by far the best. its just a cool mid-tempo rock track. I love it.

All those putrid remixes need to be thrown in a bat of acid. This is not a disco dance track, shoehorning it into a cheap old fashioned disco mix was an insane Idea someone pulled out of their ass.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 12/14/15 8:18pm

terrig

This song is fine - its cutesy, cute...and someone said toothless, i agree. It's reaaaaallllly corny. Like Pat Boone corny.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 12/15/15 7:49am

Genesia

avatar

Put it with The One U Wanna C on his country album. I still like it.

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 12/15/15 12:46pm

sonicfreak

avatar

I love how he can be dirty so subtlety with clever double entendres. Just got this one a little while ago... smile

He said "my faith keeps me from willin'
But you know that I'm able
And if there's some room
I'd like to sit at your table"
She said "it's tight, but I think I can fit you in"

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 12/15/15 1:36pm

BEAUGARDE

Yeah, there is an RnB version that's way better than this, he should release the maxi-single

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 12/15/15 3:34pm

tatocorcu

Probably my least favourite of the batch. Never cared too much for it; the new horns make it fit in the album, but it's still bland.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 12/15/15 6:11pm

controversy99

avatar

sonicfreak said:

I love how he can be dirty so subtlety with clever double entendres. Just got this one a little while ago... smile



He said "my faith keeps me from willin'
But you know that I'm able
And if there's some room
I'd like to sit at your table"
She said "it's tight, but I think I can fit you in"


Doesn't seem to subtle to me, but it's cracked me up ever since the video way back when a few years ago.
"Love & honesty, peace & harmony"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 12/15/15 6:36pm

homesquid

avatar

I like it but the lack of a memorable refrain/chorus always bugs me. It sounds good while it's playing and it's a story song but had it included a Princely hook like "Little Red Corvette" the song would be a classic....huh, I guess that's kinda obvious. If it was LRC it would be a hit. Even today.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 12/15/15 6:48pm

purplepolitici
an

avatar

bluegangsta said:

After inverting the tracks against each other, I discovered that not only is the mix exactly the same (with trumpets overdubbed) but the voice that says 'hello' & and 'its tight' is also different.

Another thing to add - I wish this was the longer version, with all of the additives.

[Edited 12/13/15 23:18pm]


Yup. The extra refrain helps. It serves as something of a hook. Don't... Stop. With the extra horns n shit woulda been dope smile. Still don't mind it.
God bless 'em, God bless 'em, God bless 'em 🙏.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 12/15/15 8:31pm

iZsaZsa

avatar



LOVE AFFAIR
What?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 12/15/15 8:33pm

V10LETBLUES

Looks like a Bratz doll

iZsaZsa said:



LOVE AFFAIR
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 12/15/15 10:11pm

bluefish

avatar

I dig this version, but I slightly prefer the Original Extended Mix. guitar

‎https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvmsrcg1qD_wVuS4qnopmQg
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 12/15/15 11:13pm

RJOrion

I like it...but this song is completely new to me and ive never heard the other versions you all speak of... i dig the "Take Me With You" melodic reference...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 12/15/15 11:13pm

fms

avatar

purplepolitician said:

bluegangsta said:

After inverting the tracks against each other, I discovered that not only is the mix exactly the same (with trumpets overdubbed) but the voice that says 'hello' & and 'its tight' is also different.

Another thing to add - I wish this was the longer version, with all of the additives.

[Edited 12/13/15 23:18pm]

Yup. The extra refrain helps. It serves as something of a hook. Don't... Stop. With the extra horns n shit woulda been dope smile. Still don't mind it.

What does he say in the extra refrain: "Don't stop, nothing ever comes from ____; Rock rock Rock and roll love affair?

I too like the extra refrain and wonder why it was left off the shorter version and the one on HNR 2.

Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths...(Jeremiah 6:16) www.ancientfaithradio.com

dezinonac eb lliw noitulove ehT
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 12/16/15 3:14am

iZsaZsa

avatar

V10LETBLUES said:

Looks like a Bratz doll

iZsaZsa said:



LOVE AFFAIR

I like it. smile
What?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 12/16/15 5:39am

nosajd

avatar

Never was a big fan of this song, but I prefer this version to any of the others.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 12/16/15 11:54am

purplepolitici
an

avatar

I think it's scared :)

fms said:



purplepolitician said:


bluegangsta said:

After inverting the tracks against each other, I discovered that not only is the mix exactly the same (with trumpets overdubbed) but the voice that says 'hello' & and 'its tight' is also different.

Another thing to add - I wish this was the longer version, with all of the additives.


[Edited 12/13/15 23:18pm]



Yup. The extra refrain helps. It serves as something of a hook. Don't... Stop. With the extra horns n shit woulda been dope smile. Still don't mind it.

What does he say in the extra refrain: "Don't stop, nothing ever comes from ____; Rock rock Rock and roll love affair?


I too like the extra refrain and wonder why it was left off the shorter version and the one on HNR 2.

God bless 'em, God bless 'em, God bless 'em 🙏.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > HitNRun Phase 2 Discussion – Album Tracks - RocknRoll Love Affair