independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 20th Nov 2019 11:44pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > New Prince and Janelle Monae track out now!
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 5 of 10 <123456789>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #120 posted 09/05/13 9:47am

novabrkr

Nice track. Prince's verse is the most redundant thing on it though. razz

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #121 posted 09/05/13 9:50am

novabrkr

Giovanni777 said:

cindymay said:

it's just prince in his normal voice ...not falsetto..

Thanks, cindymay, but I've listening to Prince for many years, and I'm an ear-trained musician. I could be wrong, of course, but I swear I hear a different male voice on the back ground vox, on the word "love". Could be Prince and another male, or Prince using his voice quite differently, as it's the voice itself that sounds unlike Prince.

Yeah, it could be a different person. Or it could be two different voices layered, or Prince's voice is just somehow edited / effected in a way that reduces the "edge" we're used to hearing in his voice. He seldom sounds as "clean" on his own records.

[Edited 9/5/13 9:52am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #122 posted 09/05/13 9:56am

Farfunknugin

avatar

Is Prince playing guitar on this track?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #123 posted 09/05/13 11:07am

xLiberiangirl

avatar

xLiberiangirl said:

I was waiting for this!!!

Finally. I really like it after first listen. it will even grow on me more after more listens i guess. But i really like it already!

Ha. I was right. after a few listens, i'm completely in love with it!

Amazing track! Prince and Janelle should do an album together... would be epic. cool

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #124 posted 09/05/13 11:43am

cindymay

KCOOLMUZIQ said:

cindymay said:

Janelle said Prince was very supportive during the entire process of the creation of the electric lady...when she was insecure about something he was always there to supports her ;-)she said (and I was pretty shocked to read this because she is usually a very very private person) that it was a very vulnerable moment for her, she had just broke up with her boyfriend before going in the studio for the electric lady..and she said this album is really personal..imo you can really see janelle's heart in this project and her opinions about a lot of topics, religion, gay rights, sexism, you can see her being a passionate lover but not a very good girlfriend apparently smile and also a little biography of herself in ghetto woman with her mom reference in the rap part...

eek

yes I know even the pitchfork journalist was shocked to hear her mentioning this...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #125 posted 09/05/13 11:46am

cindymay

xLiberiangirl said:

xLiberiangirl said:

I was waiting for this!!!

Finally. I really like it after first listen. it will even grow on me more after more listens i guess. But i really like it already!

Ha. I was right. after a few listens, i'm completely in love with it!

Amazing track! Prince and Janelle should do an album together... would be epic. cool

they should they are a perfect killer combo.. razz

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #126 posted 09/06/13 2:25pm

Dreamer20ten

This song has been on heavy rotation since I first heard it! Absolutely love everything about it - the vocals and the guitar especially. And - I am also in doubt whether the background vocals is Prince throughout the song, but I lean towards yes. - I hope the CD (booklet) will answer this question, I pre-ordered it already! smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #127 posted 09/06/13 3:06pm

SuperFurryAnim
al

avatar

different and ace. homerun
What are you outraged about today? CNN has not told you yet?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #128 posted 09/06/13 5:54pm

cindymay

Dreamer20ten said:

This song has been on heavy rotation since I first heard it! Absolutely love everything about it - the vocals and the guitar especially. And - I am also in doubt whether the background vocals is Prince throughout the song, but I lean towards yes. - I hope the CD (booklet) will answer this question, I pre-ordered it already! smile

yes it's clearly him but sometimes especially in the end during the strings part he has a kind of robotic effect on his voice...janelle uses this effects often

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #129 posted 09/07/13 1:06am

Nikkie

avatar

That Prince verse... When it kicks in, so good!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #130 posted 09/07/13 3:31am

littlejim

I agree...when prince's verse starts its compelling....he hasnt sounded better in years.....that sharp falsetto clear as glass...underlined by the fact that he's singing something that approximates a half decent lyric makes your ears prick up.......good stuff

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #131 posted 09/07/13 3:48am

fishwillbite

avatar

I know, I know, it's been said before, but....

.

This is another tantalising glimpse of how incredible Prince's new material could be if he allowed himself to be produced by someone else. As soon as you take him out of his own production context, he starts to sound powerful and extraordinary again.

PIPS! Eurgh...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #132 posted 09/07/13 7:23am

dJJ

fishwillbite said:

I know, I know, it's been said before, but....

.

This is another tantalising glimpse of how incredible Prince's new material could be if he allowed himself to be produced by someone else. As soon as you take him out of his own production context, he starts to sound powerful and extraordinary again.



This is what friends say too.

Prince is fantastic, but he needs another producer, who can get that out of him.

When he produces himself, it's not half as good as when somebody else does it.

Maybe he's scared of the arguing? I hope he's not as afraid of that anymore. That he doesn't feel that feedback is the same thing as hating or trying to confine him.

And that a fierce emotional discussion does not mean that a relationship has to end. It can enhance energy flowing and friction is always needed for progress.

I doubt that he would get an extern producer in, though.

99% of my posts are ironic. Maybe this post sides with the other 1%.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #133 posted 09/07/13 7:55am

bashraka

littlejim said:

I agree...when prince's verse starts its compelling....he hasnt sounded better in years.....that sharp falsetto clear as glass...underlined by the fact that he's singing something that approximates a half decent lyric makes your ears prick up.......good stuff

underlined by the fact that he's singing something that approximates a half decent lyric makes your ears prick up.......good stuff

Now, Questlove will probably try that much harder to produce Prince now that Janelle has. I hope Prince stays away from Questlove in the studio.

3121 #1 THIS YEAR
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #134 posted 09/07/13 8:28am

paulludvig

fishwillbite said:

I know, I know, it's been said before, but....

.

This is another tantalising glimpse of how incredible Prince's new material could be if he allowed himself to be produced by someone else. As soon as you take him out of his own production context, he starts to sound powerful and extraordinary again.

This isn't an example of Prince recording one of his own songs, but letting himself be produced by someone else. It's a Janelle Monae song and production, on which Prince has a guest appearance.

And what do you mean "another tatalising glimpse"? What are the others?

[Edited 9/7/13 8:30am]

The wooh is on the one!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #135 posted 09/07/13 8:29am

paulludvig

dJJ said:


This is what friends say too.

Prince is fantastic, but he needs another producer, who can get that out of him.

When he produces himself, it's not half as good as when somebody else does it.

Maybe he's scared of the arguing? I hope he's not as afraid of that anymore. That he doesn't feel that feedback is the same thing as hating or trying to confine him.

And that a fierce emotional discussion does not mean that a relationship has to end. It can enhance energy flowing and friction is always needed for progress.

I doubt that he would get an extern producer in, though.

What are the other examples you use for this comparison?

The wooh is on the one!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #136 posted 09/07/13 10:45am

Vannormal

avatar

Why doesn't he do an album with HER smile))

Great tune.
Is it also him on that guitar solo ?
"...no matter what, all will be fine, always."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #137 posted 09/07/13 12:06pm

Romeoblu

I've not heard it yet. I'm waiting until I get the album on Monday.

I loved Archandroid so can't wait to hear he album, but obviously as a Prince Fan this track has extra appeal.

Is it a co write or simply a guest appearance?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #138 posted 09/07/13 12:23pm

nursev

If ya'll take her out the pic then I just might give it a listen falloff she's messing up the Prince vibe lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #139 posted 09/07/13 1:55pm

cindymay

Vannormal said:

Why doesn't he do an album with HER smile)) Great tune. Is it also him on that guitar solo ?

same idea here..and yes it's him...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #140 posted 09/07/13 1:58pm

cindymay

paulludvig said:

dJJ said:


This is what friends say too.

Prince is fantastic, but he needs another producer, who can get that out of him.

When he produces himself, it's not half as good as when somebody else does it.

Maybe he's scared of the arguing? I hope he's not as afraid of that anymore. That he doesn't feel that feedback is the same thing as hating or trying to confine him.

And that a fierce emotional discussion does not mean that a relationship has to end. It can enhance energy flowing and friction is always needed for progress.

I doubt that he would get an extern producer in, though.

What are the other examples you use for this comparison?

I think just this song biggrin

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #141 posted 09/07/13 3:53pm

BobGeorge909

avatar

Romeoblu said:

I've not heard it yet. I'm waiting until I get the album on Monday.



I loved Archandroid so can't wait to hear he album, but obviously as a Prince Fan this track has extra appeal.



Is it a co write or simply a guest appearance?




This is who allmusic,com has listed as the writers.
Givin Em What They Love
Terrence Brown / Charles Joseph II / Dr. Nathaniel Irvin III / Janelle Monáe Robinson
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #142 posted 09/07/13 7:22pm

cindymay

BobGeorge909 said:

Romeoblu said:

I've not heard it yet. I'm waiting until I get the album on Monday.

I loved Archandroid so can't wait to hear he album, but obviously as a Prince Fan this track has extra appeal.

Is it a co write or simply a guest appearance?

This is who allmusic,com has listed as the writers. Givin Em What They Love Terrence Brown / Charles Joseph II / Dr. Nathaniel Irvin III / Janelle Monáe Robinson

terrence? he's janelle keyboard player...usually the writers are only janelle and the other 2..I want the booklet of this record by the way she usually writes some stories in it...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #143 posted 09/07/13 7:54pm

FragileUnderto
w

avatar

Do not like it, Thank god i am no longer a completest lol

Cant believe my purple psychedelic pimp slap pimp2

And I descend from grace, In arms of undertow
I will take my place, In the great below
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #144 posted 09/08/13 2:11am

dJJ

cindymay said:

paulludvig said:

What are the other examples you use for this comparison?

I think just this song biggrin

You are right.

Silly, because it's not about comparing.

99% of my posts are ironic. Maybe this post sides with the other 1%.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #145 posted 09/08/13 6:29am

Giovanni777

avatar

paulludvig said:

fishwillbite said:

I know, I know, it's been said before, but....

.

This is another tantalising glimpse of how incredible Prince's new material could be if he allowed himself to be produced by someone else. As soon as you take him out of his own production context, he starts to sound powerful and extraordinary again.

This isn't an example of Prince recording one of his own songs, but letting himself be produced by someone else. It's a Janelle Monae song and production, on which Prince has a guest appearance.

And what do you mean "another tatalising glimpse"? What are the others?

[Edited 9/7/13 8:30am]

Exactly how I was explaining it to a friend... she didn't produce him in any way. He came up with his parts.

Other than that, if Prince didn't produce himself, then what would exist? He produced every one of his albums, and I believe he was the youngest artist in recorded music history to be granted full production.

"He's a musician's musician..."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #146 posted 09/08/13 7:01am

EddieC

Giovanni777 said:

paulludvig said:

This isn't an example of Prince recording one of his own songs, but letting himself be produced by someone else. It's a Janelle Monae song and production, on which Prince has a guest appearance.

And what do you mean "another tatalising glimpse"? What are the others?

[Edited 9/7/13 8:30am]

Exactly how I was explaining it to a friend... she didn't produce him in any way. He came up with his parts.

Other than that, if Prince didn't produce himself, then what would exist? He produced every one of his albums, and I believe he was the youngest artist in recorded music history to be granted full production.

Were they in the studio together? Or is this another case of tracks being passed back and forth and him just adding his bits and sending it back?

If they were actually together, and she actually gave feedback in real time, and had him do another pass at a vocal (or whatever else he contributed) until it met her standards--well, maybe we could say she produced him. I'm guessing (until I'm told otherwise) that it's more like Prince's contributions to the Kate Bush, No Doubt, or Ani Difranco tracks from the past. They had close to completed tracks to which he added, doing his stuff on his own using his own methods, and she had to take it or leave it (though in this case I suppose there was a written verse that he had to put where it already was)--he followed her lead more than he might have with Bush and No Doubt (which he messed with so much that they had problems keeping the tracks going more or less where they wanted without just getting rid of him entirely). He played nice on someone else's playground--as he seemed to with Ani, instead of running roughshod over seomeone else's vision, as he did with Bush and No Doubt. Perhaps it was just a matter of Difranco and Monae communicating to him what parameters they wanted him to stay within, and the other acts didn't do that.

I don't see how this tracks suggests that Prince should have Monae or anyone else produce him, as in guiding the recording of his own song. I like what Monae came up with, quite a bit, but it's a Monae song, featuring Prince. I doubt that he would allow someone else to have much control over his own material.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #147 posted 09/08/13 7:10am

bigd74

avatar

I do remember a while (a year or 2) back Janelle tweeting about a visit to PP so this could be the product.
She Believed in Fairytales and Princes, He Believed the voices coming from his stereo

If I Said You Had A Beautiful Body Would You Hold It Against Me?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #148 posted 09/08/13 7:41am

cindymay

EddieC said:

Giovanni777 said:

Exactly how I was explaining it to a friend... she didn't produce him in any way. He came up with his parts.

Other than that, if Prince didn't produce himself, then what would exist? He produced every one of his albums, and I believe he was the youngest artist in recorded music history to be granted full production.

Were they in the studio together? Or is this another case of tracks being passed back and forth and him just adding his bits and sending it back?

If they were actually together, and she actually gave feedback in real time, and had him do another pass at a vocal (or whatever else he contributed) until it met her standards--well, maybe we could say she produced him. I'm guessing (until I'm told otherwise) that it's more like Prince's contributions to the Kate Bush, No Doubt, or Ani Difranco tracks from the past. They had close to completed tracks to which he added, doing his stuff on his own using his own methods, and she had to take it or leave it (though in this case I suppose there was a written verse that he had to put where it already was)--he followed her lead more than he might have with Bush and No Doubt (which he messed with so much that they had problems keeping the tracks going more or less where they wanted without just getting rid of him entirely). He played nice on someone else's playground--as he seemed to with Ani, instead of running roughshod over seomeone else's vision, as he did with Bush and No Doubt. Perhaps it was just a matter of Difranco and Monae communicating to him what parameters they wanted him to stay within, and the other acts didn't do that.

I don't see how this tracks suggests that Prince should have Monae or anyone else produce him, as in guiding the recording of his own song. I like what Monae came up with, quite a bit, but it's a Monae song, featuring Prince. I doubt that he would allow someone else to have much control over his own material.

janelle said they were in the studio together yes ..she said it on the bet awards red carpet..yes of course it's a monae song it's her song featuring prince

[Edited 9/8/13 7:45am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #149 posted 09/08/13 7:44am

cindymay

bigd74 said:

I do remember a while (a year or 2) back Janelle tweeting about a visit to PP so this could be the product.

no they definitely recorded this more recently..she recorded this album after she finished the AA tour in 2012 ...don't know if they recorded this at wondaland or at PP though..

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 5 of 10 <123456789>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > New Prince and Janelle Monae track out now!