independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 16th Jul 2019 9:21pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Question about the Extended Version of Alphabet St.
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 07/20/10 11:06am

player

Question about the Extended Version of Alphabet St.

I've just came across this:

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=16636

Pricey, I know. My question is, is the Extended Version the same as the "this is not music, this is a trip" version (which i'd imagine is track 3, clocking in 7:48)? It is listed as being 2 seconds longer (wooooh) than the LP version on the disc. Very strange. Any info would be great!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 07/20/10 11:12am

Genesia

avatar

The album version is listen as 5:38. The "This is Not Music" version is 7:48. How do you figure that's a 2-second difference?

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 07/20/10 11:16am

fms

avatar

I have a promo CD that includes both album version (5:38) and extended version (5:40) which are identical as far as I can tell. Yeah, weird. I wondered about that myself.

Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths...(Jeremiah 6:16) www.ancientfaithradio.com

dezinonac eb lliw noitulove ehT
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 07/20/10 11:18am

Spinlight

avatar

Genesia said:

The album version is listen as 5:38. The "This is Not Music" version is 7:48. How do you figure that's a 2-second difference?

You didn't really go to that link, did you? Just felt like talkin'.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 07/20/10 11:22am

Genesia

avatar

Spinlight said:

Genesia said:

The album version is listen as 5:38. The "This is Not Music" version is 7:48. How do you figure that's a 2-second difference?

You didn't really go to that link, did you? Just felt like talkin'.

I most certainly did. The person who posted this read the disc incorrectly. There are FOUR tracks, not three. The LP version is track 2. This Is Not Music is track 4 - not 3.

Now, what the fuck is your problem?

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 07/20/10 11:30am

thedance

avatar

1. Alphabet St. - Edit 2:25

wow, I did not know this was available on CD.

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 07/20/10 11:37am

CNNBREAKINGNEW
S

avatar

hey i dont know that version > Now, what the fuck is your problem?

boogie Bounce party y'all nutty
Like the wall of Berlin woot!
It's going down people -(5.7.2010) wall
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 07/20/10 11:37am

Spinlight

avatar

Genesia said:

Spinlight said:

You didn't really go to that link, did you? Just felt like talkin'.

I most certainly did. The person who posted this read the disc incorrectly. There are FOUR tracks, not three. The LP version is track 2. This Is Not Music is track 4 - not 3.

Now, what the fuck is your problem?

Re-read what he wrote, Granny. He's confused as to why "Extended Version" is being listed as 2 seconds longer than the album version. His confusion is because the "Extended Version" of "Alphabet St." is actually 7:48 and called "Alphabet St. (This Is Not Music This Is A Trip)". "This Is Not Music" is listed as simply "Alphabet St." which is incorrect.

Simple as that.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 07/20/10 11:40am

zaza

Genesia said:



Spinlight said:




Genesia said:


The album version is listen as 5:38. The "This is Not Music" version is 7:48. How do you figure that's a 2-second difference?




You didn't really go to that link, did you? Just felt like talkin'.




I most certainly did. The person who posted this read the disc incorrectly. There are FOUR tracks, not three. The LP version is track 2. This Is Not Music is track 4 - not 3.



Now, what the fuck is your problem?


Always so nice.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 07/20/10 11:42am

Genesia

avatar

Spinlight said:

Genesia said:

I most certainly did. The person who posted this read the disc incorrectly. There are FOUR tracks, not three. The LP version is track 2. This Is Not Music is track 4 - not 3.

Now, what the fuck is your problem?

Re-read what he wrote, Granny. He's confused as to why "Extended Version" is being listed as 2 seconds longer than the album version. His confusion is because the "Extended Version" of "Alphabet St." is actually 7:48 and called "Alphabet St. (This Is Not Music This Is A Trip)". "This Is Not Music" is listed as simply "Alphabet St." which is incorrect.

Simple as that.

That is not what he said, dipshit. He said he believed that This is Not Music, This is a Trip "is track 3, clocking in at 7:48."

Read much?

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 07/20/10 11:43am

Genesia

avatar

zaza said:

Genesia said:

I most certainly did. The person who posted this read the disc incorrectly. There are FOUR tracks, not three. The LP version is track 2. This Is Not Music is track 4 - not 3.

Now, what the fuck is your problem?

Always so nice.

Why don't you go back and read who insulted whom first?

And after that, mind your own business.

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 07/20/10 11:45am

Spinlight

avatar

Genesia said:

Spinlight said:

Re-read what he wrote, Granny. He's confused as to why "Extended Version" is being listed as 2 seconds longer than the album version. His confusion is because the "Extended Version" of "Alphabet St." is actually 7:48 and called "Alphabet St. (This Is Not Music This Is A Trip)". "This Is Not Music" is listed as simply "Alphabet St." which is incorrect.

Simple as that.

That is not what he said, dipshit. He said he believed that This is Not Music, This is a Trip "is track 3, clocking in at 7:48."

Read much?

Sigh. For being so old, you sure do lack couth and a set of good reading glasses.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 07/20/10 11:49am

zaza

Genesia said:



zaza said:


Genesia said:



I most certainly did. The person who posted this read the disc incorrectly. There are FOUR tracks, not three. The LP version is track 2. This Is Not Music is track 4 - not 3.



Now, what the fuck is your problem?



Always so nice.


Why don't you go back and read who insulted whom first?



And after that, mind your own business.


Who said FUCK first? lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 07/20/10 12:31pm

thedance

avatar

calm down Spinlight.

No need for personal attacks, "granny" tsk tsk.............. confused

I understand Genesia, why did the original poster mention "This Is Not Music. This Is A Trip" if the question wasn't about this track ?

Maybe I too, read it all wrong then.....? razz

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 07/20/10 12:32pm

Cerebus

avatar

Umm... I'm hesitant to enter into the fray... but I wanted to add something...

There are two extended versions of Alphabet St. One is the more common US released This Is Not Music, This Is A Trip. The other is just titled Remix and may or may not be a bootleg. I think it was released officially in Europe at some point. It's only a few seconds longer, but is actually a vastly different version of This Is Not Music concept. Does any of this have a damn thing to do with why that promo cd has an extended version listed as being only two seconds longer? No. Not really. But maybe by the time you've read this entire post y'all will have calmed the fuck down and realized your being unnecessarily silly. You're welcome. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 07/20/10 12:45pm

Dauphin

avatar

Cerebus said:

I'm hesitant to enter into the fray...

But you did anyway. what the fuck is YOUR problem?!

lol j/k I'm incredibly amused at the thread atm. smile

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Still it's nice to know, when our bodies wear out, we can get another

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 07/20/10 12:59pm

Cerebus

avatar

Dauphin said:

Cerebus said:

I'm hesitant to enter into the fray...

But you did anyway. what the fuck is YOUR problem?!

lol j/k I'm incredibly amused at the thread atm. smile

Wrong thread. Not enough time. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 07/20/10 2:05pm

Nvncible1

avatar

all i wanna say is fuck everbody smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 07/20/10 2:26pm

Spinlight

avatar

thedance said:

calm down Spinlight.

No need for personal attacks, "granny" tsk tsk.............. confused

I understand Genesia, why did the original poster mention "This Is Not Music. This Is A Trip" if the question wasn't about this track ?

Maybe I too, read it all wrong then.....? razz

I'm cool, don't worry. Just curious as to why a woman who should be much more mature than she is truly feels the need to harangue strangers on a forum so often.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 07/20/10 8:18pm

7souls

I'm still waiting for someone to say "fuck you, you fuckin fuck!" I always loved that one.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 07/20/10 9:01pm

stillwaiting

For Fuck's Sake, where is Bart Van Halen when you need him? Oh yeah, someone did not post an "incorrect fact" here that he had to attack.

"If U ever lose some1 dear 2 U, Never say the words they're gone....They'll come back."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 07/21/10 12:08am

chewymusic

avatar

Look close now... See how someone could be confused about this?

hmmm

There is no difference between track 2 & track 3.

They are both the album version.

Track 4 is the "this is not music this is a trip" version

from the 12"

I have this too. This promo cd is labeled wrong.

~Alphabet St (edit) edit~

[Edited 7/21/10 0:14am]

"Hyperactive when I was small, Hyperactive now I'm grown, Hyperactive 'till I'm dead and gone"
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ ___

"Midnight is where the day begins"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 07/21/10 6:48am

player

Woah, didn't see this thread going like this. Sorry I did say track 3 when it is in fact track 4 (if your pedantic enough to care). Anyway, the Extended Version and the LP version are the same, got it. Also Cerebus, I think the 'other' Extended Version your referring to is indeed unreleased, found on The Work etc etc. Thanks for your help guys!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 07/21/10 6:51am

zaza

chewymusic said:



Look close now... See how someone could be confused about this?


hmmm



There is no difference between track 2 & track 3.


They are both the album version.


Track 4 is the "this is not music this is a trip" version


from the 12"


I have this too. This promo cd is labeled wrong.





~Alphabet St (edit) edit~

[Edited 7/21/10 0:14am]


What the fuck is your fucking problem, fuck? lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 07/21/10 7:00am

harveya

avatar

player said:

Woah, didn't see this thread going like this. Sorry I did say track 3 when it is in fact track 4 (if your pedantic enough to care). Anyway, the Extended Version and the LP version are the same, got it. Also Cerebus, I think the 'other' Extended Version your referring to is indeed unreleased, found on The Work etc etc. Thanks for your help guys!

Fuckety fuck! It's "if you're pedantic enough"! lol

We ain't from Hollywood, so you know it's all good
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 07/21/10 7:54am

djThunderfunk

avatar

chewymusic said:

Look close now... See how someone could be confused about this?

hmmm

There is no difference between track 2 & track 3.

They are both the album version.

Track 4 is the "this is not music this is a trip" version

from the 12"

I have this too. This promo cd is labeled wrong.

~Alphabet St (edit) edit~

[Edited 7/21/10 0:14am]

I have this, too. chewymusic is right, tracks 2 & 3 are identical and the label is wrong.

Ross Perot was right!!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 07/21/10 9:16am

fms

avatar

There was lots of confusion about P Park at the time (promoting Lovesexy) from what I've read, about singles, no singles, videos, no videos. Prince changed his plan at the 11th hour and decided to promote Alphabet St. with a single and video release. He probably didn't tell anyone what he was on about, and just handed these mixes over to WB. No wonder they are not labelled accurately.

Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths...(Jeremiah 6:16) www.ancientfaithradio.com

dezinonac eb lliw noitulove ehT
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 07/21/10 10:17am

ufoclub

avatar

There is a bootleg 12" version of Alphabet St. from 1988 that is different from "This is not Music" but the same kind of idea.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 07/21/10 10:43am

torah3121

avatar

Nvncible1 said:

all i wanna say is fuck everbody smile

well gee thanks lol

Why does there have to be a soundcheck? I don't have a songcheck. You don't have a clothescheck.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 08/04/10 11:19pm

stillwaiting

I want some pizza.

"If U ever lose some1 dear 2 U, Never say the words they're gone....They'll come back."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Question about the Extended Version of Alphabet St.