independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 25th Jun 2019 3:09am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > More evidence of COME 1993 !
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 6 of 8 <12345678>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #150 posted 08/31/04 12:16pm

scififilmnerd

avatar

elmariachi said:

i have an article from guitar player magazine with prince on the cover (he was still prince),on the era after the release of come. there's a story inside it about "an album that warners wont release". hv u guys take this article in2 account? if needed, maybe i will post some excerpts from it.


Be my guest. biggrin
rainbow woot! FREE THE 29 MAY 1993 COME CONFIGURATION! woot! rainbow
rainbow woot! FREE THE 1994 CHAOS AND DISORDER CONFIGURATION woot! rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #151 posted 08/31/04 2:37pm

go2theMax

avatar

oh yes, yes...uh..yeah...don't stop...more...more info lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #152 posted 09/01/04 1:41am

KAB

avatar

scififilmnerd said:

KAB said:

It was my understanding, based on reports in Uptown, that Prince indeed wanted to issue an EP containing [I think] Come, Peach, Race and Pope [not sure of all of the tracks but definatley 4] on 7 June 1993. WB refused which I believe in part sparked the "early retirement"! Despite me not remebering the exact track list it doesn't exactly tie in with the configurations of COME as listed above.


Well, it certainly fits with what JediMaster mentioned earlier. I'd love to see exactly what Uptown wrote, so if you - or anyone else, for that matter - can locate the report in Uptown and quote it here, I'll only be happy to add such an EP to the list above. biggrin


I'll look it up tonight and get the exact track-list and details.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #153 posted 09/01/04 1:47am

KAB

avatar

scififilmnerd said:

KAB said:

With regard to Mayte's letter to Controversy - I don't believe we can say with certainty it was an early configuration of COME rather than GLAM SLAM ULYSSES.

The reasons you state that it wasn't GLAM SLAM is that Mayte refers to one-worded titles but as with both COME, TGE, C&D etc. could the project not have gone through many changes before it's ultimate release?


I think it's safe to assume that she was referring to a Come configuration rather than Glam Slam Ulysses. biggrin



KAB said:

Also, could STRAYS OF THE WORLD have simply been called STRAYS originally? The way it is sung maybe hints at this???? As for WHAT'S MY NAME, well this could either have had a different name [although I don't know what] or was not included originally.


I did make a note on the list above regarding the possibilty of unknown configurations of Come that may have expanded the album to include Johnny, What's My Name, Zannalee and The Ride. nod


Could you just reiterate why it is safe. smile

I mentioned this to put forward the possibility that Mayte was referring to GLAM SLAM ULYSSES in her fax. In other words GLAM SLAM could at one point have included only ONE WORD titles also. smile
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #154 posted 09/01/04 12:15pm

scififilmnerd

avatar

KAB said:

Could you just reiterate why it is safe. smile


Sure: Read the second post on this thread and add the fact that BorisFishpaw has witnessed the configurations mentioned in the first post. biggrin
[Edited 9/1/04 12:16pm]
rainbow woot! FREE THE 29 MAY 1993 COME CONFIGURATION! woot! rainbow
rainbow woot! FREE THE 1994 CHAOS AND DISORDER CONFIGURATION woot! rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #155 posted 09/01/04 12:23pm

scififilmnerd

avatar

BorisFishpaw said:

There's actually 4 different versions of Endorphin Machine circulating...

Interactive CD Rom version:
- totally different version recorded live in the studio with the full NPG lineup.
Basically what you might call a videotaped rehearsal version.


Gosh! I don't think I've ever heard that version. I didn't know it was different to the version on the Come March 11th 1994 configuration. I should add it to my list. What's it's running time? And any idea when it might have been recorded - where should I place it on the chronological list? confuse
rainbow woot! FREE THE 29 MAY 1993 COME CONFIGURATION! woot! rainbow
rainbow woot! FREE THE 1994 CHAOS AND DISORDER CONFIGURATION woot! rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #156 posted 09/01/04 2:07pm

JediMaster

avatar

scififilmnerd said:

KAB said:

It was my understanding, based on reports in Uptown, that Prince indeed wanted to issue an EP containing [I think] Come, Peach, Race and Pope [not sure of all of the tracks but definatley 4] on 7 June 1993. WB refused which I believe in part sparked the "early retirement"! Despite me not remebering the exact track list it doesn't exactly tie in with the configurations of COME as listed above.


Well, it certainly fits with what JediMaster mentioned earlier. I'd love to see exactly what Uptown wrote, so if you - or anyone else, for that matter - can locate the report in Uptown and quote it here, I'll only be happy to add such an EP to the list above. biggrin


Okay, this is jogging my memory! THIS is the EP I was referring to (although I'm fairly certain it had six tracks, including "Interactive", but I could be wrong)! It was, according to Jon Bream, what sparked the "studio retirement" announcement from Prince. Bream observed "don't call him retired, call him pouting".

Now, whether this was intended to be the earliest configuration of "Come", or a side-note to it, I don't know.
jedi

Do not hurry yourself in your spirit to become offended, for the taking of offense is what rests in the bosom of the stupid ones. (Ecclesiastes 7:9)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #157 posted 09/01/04 2:09pm

JediMaster

avatar

scififilmnerd said:

KAB said:

With regard to Mayte's letter to Controversy - I don't believe we can say with certainty it was an early configuration of COME rather than GLAM SLAM ULYSSES.

The reasons you state that it wasn't GLAM SLAM is that Mayte refers to one-worded titles but as with both COME, TGE, C&D etc. could the project not have gone through many changes before it's ultimate release?


I think it's safe to assume that she was referring to a Come configuration rather than Glam Slam Ulysses. biggrin

KAB said:

Also, could STRAYS OF THE WORLD have simply been called STRAYS originally? The way it is sung maybe hints at this???? As for WHAT'S MY NAME, well this could either have had a different name [although I don't know what] or was not included originally.


I did make a note on the list above regarding the possibilty of unknown configurations of Come that may have expanded the album to include Johnny, What's My Name, Zannalee and The Ride. nod


I'm beginning to believe that P had about 1000 ideas around the Act One and Act Two tours, and he kept fiddling with them. I kinda think, at this point, that maybe it hadn't coalesed into Come yet, but that the seeds of that album were most certainly there. Glam Slam Ulysses was a way to get some excitement going about the songs, without really having a clear-cut album formulated yet. Perhaps what Mayte was referring to really didn't have a title yet. Still, as far as I'm concerned, this was the genesis of that album, so its really pointless to debate.
jedi

Do not hurry yourself in your spirit to become offended, for the taking of offense is what rests in the bosom of the stupid ones. (Ecclesiastes 7:9)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #158 posted 09/01/04 4:33pm

gsh

scififilmnerd said:

BorisFishpaw said:

There's actually 4 different versions of Endorphin Machine circulating...

Interactive CD Rom version:
- totally different version recorded live in the studio with the full NPG lineup.
Basically what you might call a videotaped rehearsal version.


Gosh! I don't think I've ever heard that version. I didn't know it was different to the version on the Come March 11th 1994 configuration. I should add it to my list. What's it's running time? And any idea when it might have been recorded - where should I place it on the chronological list? confuse

I've got the Interactive CDROM files on my HD at the moment - anyone know the name of the file with Endorphinmachine in it?
All orgnotes and emails requesting trades or how to acquire bootleggage will be ignored. - The ThreadKiller -
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #159 posted 09/01/04 11:45pm

scififilmnerd

avatar

JediMaster said:

Still, as far as I'm concerned, this was the genesis of that album, so its really pointless to debate.


Yes. "1+1+1 is 3. Ain't no room for disagree." lol
rainbow woot! FREE THE 29 MAY 1993 COME CONFIGURATION! woot! rainbow
rainbow woot! FREE THE 1994 CHAOS AND DISORDER CONFIGURATION woot! rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #160 posted 09/02/04 1:14am

KAB

avatar

OK, I've looked up the article in Uptown #9 regarding the EP:

"The annoucement [Prince retiring from studio recording] fuelled strong rumours throughout the industry that Prince was upset with WB over their refusal to release a FOUR-song EP containing PAPA, COME, PEACH and RACE on his birthday 7 June 1993. However, an annoucement was made on 5 May 1993 by Prince's publicist that openly denied that rumour."

Unsure as to what this all means to the "time-line"!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #161 posted 09/02/04 1:24am

KAB

avatar

Also Uptown#9 states RACE#1 was recorded in 1992 during the O+> sessions.

Whilst looking up the EP I also noted in my only Prince reference book by Per Nielson [ends at 1992] that Prince had recorded 6 tracks for the "I'll Do Anything" soundtrack in 1992.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #162 posted 09/02/04 4:48am

elmariachi

avatar

EXCERPT FROM GUITAR PLAYER ARTICLE related to the copic of COME,and also TGE,THE UYNDERTAKER,and CHAOS AND DISORDER

GUYS!Okay,here’s an excerpt from an article in guitar player magazine issue november 1994 (it has prince on the cover, still was prince)
Im gonna highlights some important points related to the issue of album COME, and also the undertaker and TGE. Im sorry if these infos doesn’t add much. cool


START:

Pg.60
And like Zappa, He meticulously composes and arranges some of his records in advance, while onther discs, like COME, he trusts more to improvisation.
“The COME album really evolved from boredom during christmas vacation,”Michael Bland Laighs. “Sonny and I were the only 2 cats in the band who hung around minneapolis during christmas vacation. And prince got bored, as he usually does. So he went down on the soundstage where we were set up for rehearsal before vacation began, and he just played by himself allday; they say he stayed in there like 8,10 hoursm just messing around with ideas. And then the 2nd day he got up the courage to call us up and ask “you guys bored too?” so we came out and worked on a good half dozen tunes. And we went in the studio and started cutting them-we cut rhytm trtacks for “DARK”, “COME”, “PAPA”. And a few other things like that.”
As his band members returned to town, prince did quite a bit more work on these basic tracks, and COME ultimately turned out to be a pretty slick album. But the idea of working in a trio context with just sonny and michael triggered prince the idea of another kind of record. In the midst of work on COME, the three of them set up together on the soundstage at paisley park, their amps cramked up full, and did some bluesy jamming. The result is an album called THE UNDERTAKER
…..Pg.64
“he tends to really start opening up and playing a lot of different things when me and michael do a trio thing with hin”says sonny thompson”there’s no keyboards there-no nothing. So he can venture out and play what he wants to play.” As for prince, he says he’s really pleased with THE UNDERTAKER:”its real garage, you know? But WARNERS wont release it….”
…………Pg.196
what will happen now with THE UNDERTAKER? If warners wont release it, will they permit the artist they continue to market as prince to put it out on NPG/Bellmark?……
…..if the controversy were only about some bonus jam-out disc, it wouldn’t be worth all the ink that’s already been spilled over it. But also in the can is a brand new, full fledged prince anf the new power generation studio album called THE GOLD EXPERIENCE, which was a much more deliberate effort than COME….
….hearing prince and the NPG perform songs from TGE in the concert, one is inclined to believe prince succeeded in writing some strongs that are classics. Songs like “acknowledge men” and “Days of Wild” are superfyingly funky-among the best stuff prince has recorded under any name.

…..in adopting his new name, the artist had purportedly decided to release only old material on warners-things lying around in the cdan that he’d recorded back when he was still prince. Ytet, according to his sidemen, the COME album dates from the same period as THE UNDERTAKER-and is consequently, a fairy recent work. Yet, it has been released on Warnern under the name of PRINCE…..

…….and he’s such a loose guy that he’ll even introduce a new song to the band right on stage. About midway through the glam slam set, the energy of the show changes dracticaaly. The rock concert vibe gives way to the ecstatic feel of a hiphop show. prince has slipped on a demotape he’d recorded earlier that very day.
“right in the middle of the show he asked us “Y’all wanna hear a new song?”
Michael Bland later explains. “and he went back to THE ENDORPHIN MACHINE (my note:its not the song, but it refers to the part of the glam slam stage which has the"clitoral tower" in it) and put it on.” The song, called “Pussy Control.”.

END OF EXCERPT



Ok guys,that’s all from me. Maybve scifinerd or anybody wants to point some new or interesting facts(if theres any) from this guitar player article, regarding to the topic of COME album and also related to albums like TGE,THE UNDERTAKER,and CHAOS AND DISORDER.
Thx!
cool
[Edited 9/2/04 4:53am]
"it's 2 o'clock in the mornin' and eye just can't sleep..."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #163 posted 09/02/04 5:36am

go2theMax

avatar

the more U guys post, the more curious I am cool
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #164 posted 09/02/04 10:29am

BorisFishpaw

avatar

scififilmnerd said:

BorisFishpaw said:

There's actually 4 different versions of Endorphin Machine circulating...

Interactive CD Rom version:
- totally different version recorded live in the studio with the full NPG lineup.
Basically what you might call a videotaped rehearsal version.


Gosh! I don't think I've ever heard that version. I didn't know it was different to the version on the Come March 11th 1994 configuration. I should add it to my list. What's it's running time? And any idea when it might have been recorded - where should I place it on the chronological list? confuse


The 'live in the studio' version of Endorphinmachine included on the Interactive CDROM
is 3:50 long (not including the long ethereal intro). I don't know when it was recorded, but
it was probably the same time as the 'live in the studio' version of The Most Beautiful Girl In
The World - Mustang Mix that was aired on UK TV's Top Of The Pops show (whenever that was).
Endorphinmachine is performed on the same silver stage with the clearly visible 'T.O.T.P.' logo.

Strictly speaking, I'm not sure whether this version of Endorphinmachine should be counted as
another version or not, as it's no more valid than the TOTP peformance of TMBGITW, but it's
inclusion on the Interactive CDROM kinda sways me in favor of including it. Also, it was the
first official version of the song to be commercially released.
[Edited 9/2/04 10:32am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #165 posted 09/02/04 10:46am

BorisFishpaw

avatar

JediMaster said:

scififilmnerd said:



I did make a note on the list above regarding the possibilty of unknown configurations of Come that may have expanded the album to include Johnny, What's My Name, Zannalee and The Ride. nod


I'm beginning to believe that P had about 1000 ideas around the Act One and Act Two tours, and he kept fiddling with them. I kinda think, at this point, that maybe it hadn't coalesed into Come yet, but that the seeds of that album were most certainly there. Glam Slam Ulysses was a way to get some excitement going about the songs, without really having a clear-cut album formulated yet. Perhaps what Mayte was referring to really didn't have a title yet. Still, as far as I'm concerned, this was the genesis of that album, so its really pointless to debate.


I think you hit the nail on the head there. This era is very difficult to pin down and deconstruct
into a clear progression of song writing / compilation into album concept / release. Of course
the reason for this is because Prince himself didn't have a preconcieved idea about where he
was going with this material at the time. He certainly appeared to be working on several ideas
almost simultaneously. Ideas about album titles and configurations seemed to come and go
daily. Come, Glam Slam Ulysses, The Come Musical, The Dawn, The Beautiful Experience, The
Come EP, The Gold Experience, all came and went several times and underwent many
configurations during their interlinked evolution.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #166 posted 09/02/04 11:10am

scififilmnerd

avatar

elmariachi said:

EXCERPT FROM GUITAR PLAYER ARTICLE related to the copic of COME,and also TGE,THE UYNDERTAKER,and CHAOS AND DISORDER


Isn't that the article in which Levi Seacer, Jr. mentions Heart? Or was that in another magazine? (I've forgotten which one it was. redface )

Still an interesting read, confirming a thing said here and there on this and the prior thread. The most interesting thing is that Michael Bland mentions Papa in the same breath as Dark and Come. Although all recorded in January, Papa has always been listed as having been recorded later in January by Uptown's publications. hmmm
rainbow woot! FREE THE 29 MAY 1993 COME CONFIGURATION! woot! rainbow
rainbow woot! FREE THE 1994 CHAOS AND DISORDER CONFIGURATION woot! rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #167 posted 09/02/04 11:14am

scififilmnerd

avatar

KAB said:

OK, I've looked up the article in Uptown #9 regarding the EP:

"The annoucement [Prince retiring from studio recording] fuelled strong rumours throughout the industry that Prince was upset with WB over their refusal to release a FOUR-song EP containing PAPA, COME, PEACH and RACE on his birthday 7 June 1993. However, an annoucement was made on 5 May 1993 by Prince's publicist that openly denied that rumour."

Unsure as to what this all means to the "time-line"!


It was just a rumour? omfg

But it was denied by Prince's publicist? hmmm

Well, I dunno what to believe. Maybe it was for real, maybe it wasn't? confuse

Usually, rumours contain a grain of truth. nod They don't just start out of nothing. shake
[Edited 9/2/04 11:16am]
rainbow woot! FREE THE 29 MAY 1993 COME CONFIGURATION! woot! rainbow
rainbow woot! FREE THE 1994 CHAOS AND DISORDER CONFIGURATION woot! rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #168 posted 09/02/04 11:22am

scififilmnerd

avatar

KAB said:

Also Uptown#9 states RACE#1 was recorded in 1992 during the O+> sessions.

Whilst looking up the EP I also noted in my only Prince reference book by Per Nielson [ends at 1992] that Prince had recorded 6 tracks for the "I'll Do Anything" soundtrack in 1992.


It was later revealed that Race #1 was recorded in November 1991. For space considerations, I just didn't post my entire list of chronological recordings. As for the I'll Do Anything tracks, those were recorded in 1992, but aren't really relevant to the period discussed in this thread. But personally, I like the I'll Do Anything songs a lot. biggrin
rainbow woot! FREE THE 29 MAY 1993 COME CONFIGURATION! woot! rainbow
rainbow woot! FREE THE 1994 CHAOS AND DISORDER CONFIGURATION woot! rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #169 posted 09/02/04 11:27am

scififilmnerd

avatar

BorisFishpaw said:

The 'live in the studio' version of Endorphinmachine included on the Interactive CDROM
is 3:50 long (not including the long ethereal intro). I don't know when it was recorded, but
it was probably the same time as the 'live in the studio' version of The Most Beautiful Girl In
The World - Mustang Mix that was aired on UK TV's Top Of The Pops show (whenever that was).
Endorphinmachine is performed on the same silver stage with the clearly visible 'T.O.T.P.' logo.

Strictly speaking, I'm not sure whether this version of Endorphinmachine should be counted as
another version or not, as it's no more valid than the TOTP peformance of TMBGITW, but it's
inclusion on the Interactive CDROM kinda sways me in favor of including it. Also, it was the
first official version of the song to be commercially released.


Thanks for clearing that up for me. biggrin

I'll consider it's inclusion - "consider" because if I include that, then I'll kinda sort of have to include TMBGITW too. neutral
rainbow woot! FREE THE 29 MAY 1993 COME CONFIGURATION! woot! rainbow
rainbow woot! FREE THE 1994 CHAOS AND DISORDER CONFIGURATION woot! rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #170 posted 09/02/04 11:34am

scififilmnerd

avatar

BorisFishpaw said:

JediMaster said:



I'm beginning to believe that P had about 1000 ideas around the Act One and Act Two tours, and he kept fiddling with them.


I think you hit the nail on the head there. This era is very difficult to pin down and deconstruct
into a clear progression of song writing / compilation into album concept / release.



It sure is very difficult, but I think we've given it a fairly good try. biggrin

I'm sure there are still things in The Vault from that period which we don't even know about and not all that we do know about is 100% certain. sigh

So, in some cases, it actually IS a matter of what sounds logical to one. For instance, I personally believe that Mayte is referring to a Come album configuration in "her" fax/letter. But without actual proof, I can only say that people are welcome to make up their own minds. biggrin
rainbow woot! FREE THE 29 MAY 1993 COME CONFIGURATION! woot! rainbow
rainbow woot! FREE THE 1994 CHAOS AND DISORDER CONFIGURATION woot! rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #171 posted 09/02/04 2:31pm

BorisFishpaw

avatar

scififilmnerd said:

BorisFishpaw said:

The 'live in the studio' version of Endorphinmachine included on the Interactive CDROM
is 3:50 long (not including the long ethereal intro). I don't know when it was recorded, but
it was probably the same time as the 'live in the studio' version of The Most Beautiful Girl In
The World - Mustang Mix that was aired on UK TV's Top Of The Pops show (whenever that was).
Endorphinmachine is performed on the same silver stage with the clearly visible 'T.O.T.P.' logo.

Strictly speaking, I'm not sure whether this version of Endorphinmachine should be counted as
another version or not, as it's no more valid than the TOTP peformance of TMBGITW, but it's
inclusion on the Interactive CDROM kinda sways me in favor of including it. Also, it was the
first official version of the song to be commercially released.


Thanks for clearing that up for me. biggrin

I'll consider it's inclusion - "consider" because if I include that, then I'll kinda sort of have to include TMBGITW too. neutral


On reflection I think this version of Endorphinmachine should be included, as even though it
may be only 'live in the studio', the same holds true for The Undertaker session and the
livestudio mix of Somebody's Somebody. So I think it is fair to include it as it was officially
released. The TOTP version of TMBGITW should not be included though, for the simple
reason that it was never commercially released (or intended to be).
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #172 posted 09/02/04 3:41pm

go2theMax

avatar

BorisFishpaw said:

scififilmnerd said:



Thanks for clearing that up for me. biggrin

I'll consider it's inclusion - "consider" because if I include that, then I'll kinda sort of have to include TMBGITW too. neutral


On reflection I think this version of Endorphinmachine should be included, as even though it
may be only 'live in the studio', the same holds true for The Undertaker session and the
livestudio mix of Somebody's Somebody. So I think it is fair to include it as it was officially
released. The TOTP version of TMBGITW should not be included though, for the simple
reason that it was never commercially released (or intended to be).


When somebody' somebody were recorded? is the live studio mix the original song?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #173 posted 09/02/04 3:57pm

Anotherwontdar
e

avatar

I always thought that the lyrics of "Face Down" ("told them that he wanted to sing a song about a black child / goin' buck wild / but they just laughed in his face") referred to WB's reaction to "Papa" and the refusal to put out the EP on June 7, 93. Never thought it could refer to "Lovesign", any other opinion about that?
Every now and then
There comes a time you must defend
Your right to die and live again --
And again, and again...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #174 posted 09/03/04 2:11am

KAB

avatar

scififilmnerd said:

KAB said:

OK, I've looked up the article in Uptown #9 regarding the EP:

"The annoucement [Prince retiring from studio recording] fuelled strong rumours throughout the industry that Prince was upset with WB over their refusal to release a FOUR-song EP containing PAPA, COME, PEACH and RACE on his birthday 7 June 1993. However, an annoucement was made on 5 May 1993 by Prince's publicist that openly denied that rumour."

Unsure as to what this all means to the "time-line"!


It was just a rumour? omfg

But it was denied by Prince's publicist? hmmm

Well, I dunno what to believe. Maybe it was for real, maybe it wasn't? confuse

Usually, rumours contain a grain of truth. nod They don't just start out of nothing. shake
[Edited 9/2/04 11:16am]


I think the rumours are more about the reasons for Prince's "retirement" i.e. what sparked the decision and not about the EP. My reading of it is that the EP did exist.

I think it should be added to the the time-line as a proposed configuration. Afterall there are several working theories already included - albeit based on either first-hand recollections or clever deduction.
[Edited 9/3/04 2:25am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #175 posted 09/03/04 2:23am

KAB

avatar

scififilmnerd said:

KAB said:

Also Uptown#9 states RACE#1 was recorded in 1992 during the O+> sessions.

Whilst looking up the EP I also noted in my only Prince reference book by Per Nielson [ends at 1992] that Prince had recorded 6 tracks for the "I'll Do Anything" soundtrack in 1992.


It was later revealed that Race #1 was recorded in November 1991. For space considerations, I just didn't post my entire list of chronological recordings. As for the I'll Do Anything tracks, those were recorded in 1992, but aren't really relevant to the period discussed in this thread. But personally, I like the I'll Do Anything songs a lot. biggrin



The I'll Do Anything tracks are very enjoyable I agree. As is this thread you began - I never mentioned that in my previous responses.

This thread is especially enjoyable to mysef because I became a fan in late 1992 and this - period 1993-96 - is my favourite - especially the one-worded tracks.

Is it going to be possible to expand or elaborate on the early CHAOS AND DISORDER configurations. This album marked the end of the "golden" period IMO. I've burned the restored configurations of COME, TGE and THE UNDERTAKER and just need to flesh out C&D to complete the set [and find a proper home for the brilliant original version of ZANNALEE and the stunning EMPTY ROOM].
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #176 posted 09/03/04 12:47pm

scififilmnerd

avatar

KAB said:

scififilmnerd said:



It was just a rumour? omfg

But it was denied by Prince's publicist? hmmm

Well, I dunno what to believe. Maybe it was for real, maybe it wasn't? confuse



I think the rumours are more about the reasons for Prince's "retirement" i.e. what sparked the decision and not about the EP. My reading of it is that the EP did exist.

I think it should be added to the the time-line as a proposed configuration. Afterall there are several working theories already included - albeit based on either first-hand recollections or clever deduction.


I can imagine Prince not wanting his "retirement" believed to have something to do with a rejected EP instead of the religious reasons he was citing at the time. Okay, I'll buy that the denial was about the reasons and not the EP. I'll add it right away. biggrin

This would probably also be the Papa single that IstenSzek read about on MTV News. biggrin

With the denial being made on 5 May 1993, I've listed the EP for April. biggrin
[Edited 9/3/04 12:57pm]
rainbow woot! FREE THE 29 MAY 1993 COME CONFIGURATION! woot! rainbow
rainbow woot! FREE THE 1994 CHAOS AND DISORDER CONFIGURATION woot! rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #177 posted 09/03/04 1:00pm

scififilmnerd

avatar

IstenSzek said:

I also remember pretty accurately that late April or early May MTV mentioned Papa
in their MTV News section on TV as well as on TV-Text.

They reported that Papa would be Prince's next single and then went on to explain
what the song was about, even quoting the line

"Don't abuse children, or else they'll turn out like me"

Fcuz, MTV news is not always reliable and around that period, any info on a new Prince
'single' would have been slightly dodgy since there was so much going on at the same
time.

But I just thought I'd mention it here smile


You've got a good memory. biggrin
rainbow woot! FREE THE 29 MAY 1993 COME CONFIGURATION! woot! rainbow
rainbow woot! FREE THE 1994 CHAOS AND DISORDER CONFIGURATION woot! rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #178 posted 09/03/04 1:00pm

BorisFishpaw

avatar

go2theMax said:

BorisFishpaw said:



On reflection I think this version of Endorphinmachine should be included, as even though it
may be only 'live in the studio', the same holds true for The Undertaker session and the
livestudio mix of Somebody's Somebody. So I think it is fair to include it as it was officially
released. The TOTP version of TMBGITW should not be included though, for the simple
reason that it was never commercially released (or intended to be).


When somebody' somebody were recorded? is the live studio mix the original song?


Somebody's Somebody was recorded sometime between '93 - '94.
It was also gonna be included on an early configuration of The NPG's Exodus album, using a
version with Derrick Hughes singing lead. The version used on Emancipation is the original
version from '93/'94, the Livestudio mix was recorded in late '96 - early '97 during rehearsals
for the Jam Of The Year tour.
[Edited 9/3/04 13:13pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #179 posted 09/03/04 1:04pm

BorisFishpaw

avatar

Anotherwontdare said:

I always thought that the lyrics of "Face Down" ("told them that he wanted to sing a song about a black child / goin' buck wild / but they just laughed in his face") referred to WB's reaction to "Papa" and the refusal to put out the EP on June 7, 93. Never thought it could refer to "Lovesign", any other opinion about that?


I'd always thought that the line in Face Down was a reference to Love Sign. Though it's of
course entirely possible that it was about Papa (only Prince knows for sure).
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 6 of 8 <12345678>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > More evidence of COME 1993 !