independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sat 23rd Aug 2014 2:27am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Nile Rodgers: New Memoir, Le Freak
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 09/07/11 11:30am

Identity

avatar

Nile Rodgers: New Memoir, Le Freak

September 7, 2011

Link

Talk about a bad trip! In Le Freak: An Upside Down Story of Family, Disco, and Destiny, the new memoir from Chic co-founder/producer Nile Rodgers, there’s a acid-addled anecdote involving a certain downtown art superstar, a story that’s perhaps never seen the light of day.

It involves a party in Little Italy gone wrong, where someone slipped something in Mr. Rodgers’ drink. It turned out to be the stuff the kids now call DOM. Hell of a drug!

We all down the wrong hallucinogenic concoction every once in a while, but this time there’s a surprise celebrity appearance: Andy Warhol, and he’s been shot! Take it away, Le Freak.

I don’t remember how long I was tripping that day, because I was fading in and out of reality. At a police call box near the corner of Second Avenue and Houston Street, I phoned the cops.

I was taken by ambulance to Columbus Hospital, a few short blocks away, panic-stricken and rapidly going mad. Even in my extreme psychotic state, I noticed dawn had just broken. I looked down at my arms. My skin had the texture and color of a lizard’s. So like any self-respecting reptile, I spread my fingers wide and tried to catch flies with my tongue.

The atmosphere in the ER was almost festive. The doctors and nurse seemed to be having the time of their lives. There were few if any patients. Hours passed in the blink of an eye, and it was now in the afternoon. Suddenly, apropos of nothing, I was whisked out of the way as a gurney smashed open the ER doors; it was bearing the body of a bloody Andy Warhol, by now one of the most recognizable and important figures in the Village scene.

A crowd of people surrounded him and I became irrelevant. Though my head was still a little twisted, my heart told me Andy needed help more than me. I later read that Andy actually died on the operating table, but emergency surgery brought him back.

Crazy trip, Nile! There are plenty more tales to be told in Le Freak. The book is set for publication October 18.

[Edited 10/25/11 14:38pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 09/07/11 12:02pm

SoulAlive

Can't wait until this is released! I bet he's got alot of great stories to tell.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 09/07/11 12:15pm

Identity

avatar

Here's a larger image of the book cover.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 09/07/11 2:48pm

Timmy84

Identity said:

September 7, 2011

Link

Talk about a bad trip! In Le Freak: An Upside Down Story of Family, Disco, and Destiny, the new memoir from Chic co-founder/producer Nile Rodgers, there’s a acid-addled anecdote involving a certain downtown art superstar, a story that’s perhaps never seen the light of day.

It involves a party in Little Italy gone wrong, where someone slipped something in Mr. Rodgers’ drink. It turned out to be the stuff the kids now call DOM. Hell of a drug!

We all down the wrong hallucinogenic concoction every once in a while, but this time there’s a surprise celebrity appearance: Andy Warhol, and he’s been shot! Take it away, Le Freak.

I don’t remember how long I was tripping that day, because I was fading in and out of reality. At a police call box near the corner of Second Avenue and Houston Street, I phoned the cops.

I was taken by ambulance to Columbus Hospital, a few short blocks away, panic-stricken and rapidly going mad. Even in my extreme psychotic state, I noticed dawn had just broken. I looked down at my arms. My skin had the texture and color of a lizard’s. So like any self-respecting reptile, I spread my fingers wide and tried to catch flies with my tongue.

The atmosphere in the ER was almost festive. The doctors and nurse seemed to be having the time of their lives. There were few if any patients. Hours passed in the blink of an eye, and it was now in the afternoon. Suddenly, apropos of nothing, I was whisked out of the way as a gurney smashed open the ER doors; it was bearing the body of a bloody Andy Warhol, by now one of the most recognizable and important figures in the Village scene.

A crowd of people surrounded him and I became irrelevant. Though my head was still a little twisted, my heart told me Andy needed help more than me. I later read that Andy actually died on the operating table, but emergency surgery brought him back.

Crazy trip, Nile! There are plenty more tales to be told in Le Freak. The book is set for publication October 18.

DAMN!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 09/07/11 5:45pm

dreamfactory31
3

This is a must have book!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 09/07/11 6:49pm

SoulAlive

dreamfactory313 said:

This is a must have book!

Indeed! nod I'm gonna pre-order it now.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 09/10/11 5:46pm

Identity

avatar

Niles at 15. “In L.A., the day I met Timothy Leary,” he says.

More from Nile's bio:

http://tmagazine.blogs.ny...ghborhood/

[Edited 10/7/11 11:25am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 09/14/11 12:38am

Identity

avatar

Niles & friends in New York @ book launch party.

Photos: Wireimage


[Edited 9/14/11 0:44am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 09/14/11 11:42am

datdude

wow, i was unaware that he'd produced several of those tracks listed around the book cover! (let's dance, like a virgin?! he should've listed Notorious instead of THREE Bowie tracks...) true legend indeed!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 09/14/11 11:49am

Identity

avatar

Niles produced the entire Like A Virgin album and played guitar on the title track.

[Edited 9/16/11 9:27am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 09/14/11 12:25pm

SCNDLS

avatar

Identity said:

Niles produced the entire Like A Virgin album and played guitar on the entire track.

It baffles me how many people DON'T know this. whofarted

I always thought Niles was handsome love but I'm concerned about what may be going on under that bandana. hmmm

[Edited 9/14/11 12:33pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 09/14/11 1:01pm

DJK

Does the book indicate that he was so busy in the early and mid 80s that all he could find time to eat was "Soup for One" ?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 09/14/11 5:06pm

ForgottenPassw
ord

SCNDLS said:

Identity said:

Niles produced the entire Like A Virgin album and played guitar on the entire track.

It baffles me how many people DON'T know this. whofarted

I always thought Niles was handsome love but I'm concerned about what may be going on under that bandana. hmmm

[Edited 9/14/11 12:33pm]

Bear in mind he recently beat cancer.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 09/14/11 6:30pm

SCNDLS

avatar

ForgottenPassword said:

SCNDLS said:

It baffles me how many people DON'T know this. whofarted

I always thought Niles was handsome love but I'm concerned about what may be going on under that bandana. hmmm

[Edited 9/14/11 12:33pm]

Bear in mind he recently beat cancer.

He been rocking that bandana for awhile, and since his locs are still long I'm guessing that didn't impact his hair. Maybe he didn't do chemo. But I'm still concerned cuz he's hiding it lol

Regardless, still love me some Nile. mushy

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 09/16/11 9:26am

Identity

avatar

"Le Freak" Official Book-Signing Party NYC

Official Book-Signing Event NYC

Time: Thur, Oct 20, 5:00 - 10:00 PM

Location: Barnes & Noble - Union Square
33 E 17th St
New York, NY

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 09/16/11 12:36pm

Ottensen

SCNDLS said:

ForgottenPassword said:

Bear in mind he recently beat cancer.

He been rocking that bandana for awhile, and since his locs are still long I'm guessing that didn't impact his hair. Maybe he didn't do chemo. But I'm still concerned cuz he's hiding it lol

Regardless, still love me some Nile. mushy

He's really sweet, too. I got a chance to hang out with him in Montreaux some years back; met him at the Mess Hall where all the artists eat dinner from catering; he's a little, but compact dude, very gentlemanly. The next night after the Chic concert (which brought the house DOWN), he and nost of the band members showed up to sit in on a set for Aretha Franklin's son (that was the entorage I was traveling with); Chile, Dido was playing the large concert hall and we were doing the lounge stage outside of it; her show was so boring. neutral We had a jam session in the lounge and were singing blues long after her dry ass left the stage. Nile and Chic were so much fun to roll with!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 09/16/11 12:47pm

Identity

avatar

If I'm not mistaken, the woman on the right in the black dress is Nile's longtime girlfriend and We Are Family Foundation president, Nancy Hunt.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 09/16/11 1:56pm

SCNDLS

avatar

Ottensen said:

SCNDLS said:

He been rocking that bandana for awhile, and since his locs are still long I'm guessing that didn't impact his hair. Maybe he didn't do chemo. But I'm still concerned cuz he's hiding it lol

Regardless, still love me some Nile. mushy

He's really sweet, too. I got a chance to hang out with him in Montreaux some years back; met him at the Mess Hall where all the artists eat dinner from catering; he's a little, but compact dude, very gentlemanly. The next night after the Chic concert (which brought the house DOWN), he and nost of the band members showed up to sit in on a set for Aretha Franklin's son (that was the entorage I was traveling with); Chile, Dido was playing the large concert hall and we were doing the lounge stage outside of it; her show was so boring. neutral We had a jam session in the lounge and were singing blues long after her dry ass left the stage. Nile and Chic were so much fun to roll with!

nod He was in Curacao at the NSJ I just went to. Unfortunately, I missed their show. But I also saw him in the "mess hall." That's where I took those pics of Sting with Ruben Blades, in the mess hall. Nile and his band members were milling around there too. He's got prettiest smile. big grin

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 09/17/11 4:22pm

DJK

He does a nice job of surrounding himself with "the beautiful people"

as in attractive ladies.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 09/29/11 5:54am

Identity

avatar

the image

the image

Nile attends another book party in NYC.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 09/29/11 6:14am

SCNDLS

avatar

Identity said:

the image

the image

Nile attends another book party in NYC.

Is this bandana surgically attached or what? It even looks like the same one. confused

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 10/07/11 10:14am

Identity

avatar

Nile recently uploaded photos of himself sans that ubiquitous blue head rag bandana. wink

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 10/07/11 11:08am

getxxxx

avatar

Identity said:

"Le Freak" Official Book-Signing Party NYC

Official Book-Signing Event NYC

Time: Thur, Oct 20, 5:00 - 10:00 PM

Location: Barnes & Noble - Union Square
33 E 17th St
New York, NY

thanks for the heads up

Nick Ashford was someone I greatly admired, had the honor of knowing, and was the real-life inspiration for Cowboy Curtis' hair. RIP Nick. - Pee Wee Herman
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 10/07/11 12:31pm

SCNDLS

avatar

Identity said:

Nile recently uploaded photos of himself sans that ubiquitous blue head rag bandana. wink

spit Okay, now it looks like a wig hmmm

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 10/07/11 1:42pm

Timmy84

SCNDLS said:

Identity said:

Nile recently uploaded photos of himself sans that ubiquitous blue head rag bandana. wink

spit Okay, now it looks like a wig hmmm

It does. hmmm But it could be real, who knows?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 10/07/11 3:20pm

bboy87

avatar

*Goes to library and see if I can reserve*

Punk Mistress Certified FAMF

"We may deify or demonize them but not ignore them. And we call them genius, because they are the people who change the world."

http://jaywonder.tumblr.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 10/08/11 6:56am

Ottensen

SCNDLS said:

Ottensen said:

He's really sweet, too. I got a chance to hang out with him in Montreaux some years back; met him at the Mess Hall where all the artists eat dinner from catering; he's a little, but compact dude, very gentlemanly. The next night after the Chic concert (which brought the house DOWN), he and nost of the band members showed up to sit in on a set for Aretha Franklin's son (that was the entorage I was traveling with); Chile, Dido was playing the large concert hall and we were doing the lounge stage outside of it; her show was so boring. neutral We had a jam session in the lounge and were singing blues long after her dry ass left the stage. Nile and Chic were so much fun to roll with!

nod He was in Curacao at the NSJ I just went to. Unfortunately, I missed their show. But I also saw him in the "mess hall." That's where I took those pics of Sting with Ruben Blades, in the mess hall. Nile and his band members were milling around there too. He's got prettiest smile. big grin

And his clothes are always so nice eek . Even when he's dressed very simply in shirt and pant, you can tell from the cuts and the fabrics that them sh*ts is expensive. guitar He's got that savoire faire thing down pat smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 10/08/11 10:08am

SCNDLS

avatar

Ottensen said:

SCNDLS said:

nod He was in Curacao at the NSJ I just went to. Unfortunately, I missed their show. But I also saw him in the "mess hall." That's where I took those pics of Sting with Ruben Blades, in the mess hall. Nile and his band members were milling around there too. He's got prettiest smile. big grin

And his clothes are always so nice eek . Even when he's dressed very simply in shirt and pant, you can tell from the cuts and the fabrics that them sh*ts is expensive. guitar He's got that savoire faire thing down pat smile

nod The brutha IS sharp. I've ALWAYS had a crush on Nile. I think he's sexy. But we gon' have to resolve the hair issues. hmmm

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 10/12/11 8:58am

Identity

avatar

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 10/12/11 9:55am

Abdul

Identity said:

the image

Nile attends another book party in NYC.

Nile knows the GZA! Cool!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Nile Rodgers: New Memoir, Le Freak