independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 23rd May 2018 2:03am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Spike Lee's Prince bash (near his birthday)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 05/06/18 9:19am

purplerabbitho
le

Spike Lee's Prince bash (near his birthday)

ON June 9th...that's how it's done. And that is how you do a poster. Not three Prince heads on a plate colored in with colored pencils. (creepy image for a celebration on his death day.)

31939698_10156338115524819_8606937753344540672_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=6b2699c24e04307cec3fd19e15c580bd&oe=5B8E47EB

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 05/06/18 12:50pm

Apollo85

I went last year and it was a blast. Gorgeous weather, just a true celebration of the artist. I'm hoping I can make it this year as well.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 05/06/18 3:37pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

Love the poster. cool

Still running
Still running
Still running...to stand still.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 05/06/18 7:03pm

LovePaisley

Thanks for the news PRH, I've been waiting for Spike's announcement. I went the past two years and wouldn't miss it for anything.
And the MUSIC continues...forever...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 05/11/18 10:49am

Latin

Check out the article published today by Okayplayer entitled "Spike Lee To Celebrate Prince’s Life In Brooklyn With “Purple People Party 3”:

http://www.okayplayer.com...oklyn.html
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 05/11/18 11:11am

poppys

Spike is a class act with real heart for Prince. eye would LOVE to go. sun

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 05/11/18 12:54pm

Layitdown

I REEEALLLY wanna dj at this event but Spike won't return my email!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 05/11/18 2:07pm

bonatoc

avatar

It's a little bit better than the cerberus poster, but not that much.
It's still amateurish Photoshop. The nod to his worst cover ever speaks volumes.

Fucking corny flowers, fucking doves,
makes Prince look like your Grandma's home interior decorator.

A creative mind requires creative visuals. Good visual artists abound.
But I don't expect a once-a-genius-now-a-system-schmuck
like Lee to know where to find them.

The Colors R brighter, the Bond is much tighter
No Child's a failure
Until the Blue Sailboat sails him away from his dreams
Don't Ever Lose, Don't Ever Lose
Don't Ever Lose Your Dreams
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 05/11/18 2:14pm

poppys

bonatoc said:

It's a little bit better than the cerberus poster, but not that much.
It's still amateurish Photoshop. The nod to his worst cover ever speaks volumes.

Fucking corny flowers, fucking doves,
makes Prince look like your Grandma's home interior decorator.

A creative mind requires creative visuals. Good visual artists abound.
But I don't expect a once-a-genius-now-a-system-schmuck
like Lee to know where to find them.


Not my Grandma's - if she ever had one. As ridiculous as Lee being a system-schmuck. NOPE to all of the above.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 05/11/18 2:15pm

rdhull

avatar

purplethunder3121 said:

Love the poster. cool

Its so still life aesthetic..its cool for being so basic and bare. Maybe thats why I like it.

And everytime I scratch my nails down someone else's back I hope you feel it.. WELL CAN YA FEEL IT?!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 05/11/18 3:14pm

bonatoc

avatar

poppys said:

bonatoc said:

It's a little bit better than the cerberus poster, but not that much.
It's still amateurish Photoshop. The nod to his worst cover ever speaks volumes.

Fucking corny flowers, fucking doves,
makes Prince look like your Grandma's home interior decorator.

A creative mind requires creative visuals. Good visual artists abound.
But I don't expect a once-a-genius-now-a-system-schmuck
like Lee to know where to find them.


Not my Grandma's - if she ever had one. As ridiculous as Lee being a system-schmuck. NOPE to all of the above.


It stems from my huge disappointment at his Michael Jackson albums documentaries.
I was expecting so much from him, and they are total crap,
industry ass-licking from start to finish, no substance whatsoever.

I guess I'm never satisified: pissed off when he was a maverick when he should have been as popular, if not more, as Tarantino, pissed off when he's finally mainstream (digested by the system), as if his original rebel spirit has been dried out.
I guess money ends up fucking everyone, no one gets saved.
True art needs struggle.

The Colors R brighter, the Bond is much tighter
No Child's a failure
Until the Blue Sailboat sails him away from his dreams
Don't Ever Lose, Don't Ever Lose
Don't Ever Lose Your Dreams
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 05/11/18 3:51pm

poppys

bonatoc said:

Not my Grandma's - if she ever had one. As ridiculous as Lee being a system-schmuck. NOPE to all of the above.


It stems from my huge disappointment at his Michael Jackson albums documentaries.
I was expecting so much from him, and they are total crap,
industry ass-licking from start to finish, no substance whatsoever.

I guess I'm never satisified: pissed off when he was a maverick when he should have been as popular, if not more, as Tarantino, pissed off when he's finally mainstream (digested by the system), as if his original rebel spirit has been dried out.
I guess money ends up fucking everyone, no one gets saved.
True art needs struggle.


Yes, seems we were spoiled by Prince. He surfed that edge for so long, and made it look easy when it was anything but. cool

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 05/12/18 12:56am

bonatoc

avatar

Xactly.
I guess I'm just another sucker for the Laura LiPuma and Jeff Katz days.
I'm tired to see cheap artwork around Prince.
Especially when it's this lazy (that geometric Photoshop plugin is definitely old news,
and the picture choice is debatable).

Useless rant aside, have fun, guys! Any Purple Party is a good party.

The Colors R brighter, the Bond is much tighter
No Child's a failure
Until the Blue Sailboat sails him away from his dreams
Don't Ever Lose, Don't Ever Lose
Don't Ever Lose Your Dreams
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 05/12/18 7:42am

bsprout

Thanks. I would love to go!! But I don’t live there anymore. I go back all the time for work but I always just miss this event...I return from NY on June 1st sad sad
Anyway, it always looks like a great party, at least from all the footage I’ve seen.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 05/12/18 8:48am

TheKid94

avatar

Can't wait!
-
I performed in this last year and it was a blast. It was hot as hell but the energy was alive and beautiful
prince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 05/12/18 9:44am

thedance

avatar

I don't understand the headline.. what...??? "bashing".. where?????

Yeah - ok, I am danish, non english...


Strange to call a poster for "bash", isn't it.... confused

Prince 4Ever. heart
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 05/12/18 4:16pm

LovePaisley

thedance said:

I don't understand the headline.. what...??? "bashing".. where?????

Yeah - ok, I am danish, non english...


Strange to call a poster for "bash", isn't it.... confused



Not really strange. A "bash" is American slang for a big party.

On the other hand, bashing something means hitting it, bashing someone means saying bad things. So... it just proves, once again, that we Americans are world-class language bashers. razz
And the MUSIC continues...forever...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 05/12/18 4:46pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

LovePaisley said:

thedance said:

I don't understand the headline.. what...??? "bashing".. where?????

Yeah - ok, I am danish, non english...


Strange to call a poster for "bash", isn't it.... confused

Not really strange. A "bash" is American slang for a big party. On the other hand, bashing something means hitting it, bashing someone means saying bad things. So... it just proves, once again, that we Americans are world-class language bashers. razz

lol

Still running
Still running
Still running...to stand still.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 05/12/18 8:10pm

thedance

avatar

haha... Ok!


Oh I see, my mistake then.. thanks for clearing up... wink cool

Prince 4Ever. heart
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 05/12/18 10:16pm

insomnia

avatar

I had a wonderful time at both of the previous versions, and will definitely be going again this year.

(I have to pick out this years appropriately purple outfit).

Everything old is new again...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 05/14/18 1:07pm

Latin

Here are the details that Spike posted:

"ATTENTION PURPLE PARTY PEOPLE
Our 3rd Annual PRINCE BORN DAY PURPLE PEOPLE PARTY Will Be On Saturday, June 9th From 12-7pm At Restoration Plaza On Herkimer Street Between New York And Brooklyn Avenues.
Music By DJ Spinna
This Is A Grown Folks Party! #PrincePartyBK"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Spike Lee's Prince bash (near his birthday)