independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 24th Nov 2017 6:00pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Discuss The Sharon Nelson Q&A Thread Here - And Only Here
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 9 <123456789>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 08/11/17 6:46am

purplefam99

MMJas said:



TheEnglishGent said:




Lovejunky said:



Me too and Im having a hard time understanding why he wouldnt have given credit, if its TRUE...



The weird thing for me is that I'd always thought his Dad had input on Purple Rain. The weirder thing is that I've just had a search and can't find any evidence of this, so I've no idea why I had this thought in the first place.




You are not alone. And I got that impression from the actual movie, Purple Rain. It kind of alludes to that.



I thought THE MoVIE alluded to that too.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 08/11/17 7:41am

lemoncrush19

avatar

purplefam99 said:

lemoncrush19 said:


now that's exactly how rumors begin ... she didn't say:"dad composed purple rain" ... she just said: "... I heard the melody of that first from our dad" ... so maybe dad just heard it before her and played it ...

but next thing y'all know (just 3 lil org days later) would be a thread over 253 pages with ppl claiming "prince's dad composed all his music" ... rolleyes

Lemoncrush your point needs to be in bold at the top of this thread, because yes we Are inferring into her statement. And doing that doesn't not serve the truth at all.


u noticed, huh? biggrin

funniest thing is: straight under my original post (#21) which was ignored so far (which is not of any importance for me personally but confirmes pretty much what I tried to mention) ... straight under that post started exactly what I predicted lol ... and a few posts later the whole purple rain movie is dad's creation already ... and lots of orgers knew it all the time ... eek lol

the only love there is is the love we make heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 08/11/17 7:55am

poppys

purplefam99 said:

MMJas said:

You are not alone. And I got that impression from the actual movie, Purple Rain. It kind of alludes to that.

I thought THE MoVIE alluded to that too.

WHAT?

lemon crush nailed it.

Kick the old-school joints. For the true funk soldiers.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 08/11/17 8:11am

PennyPurple

avatar

I thought Photography was a hobby of his. Didn't he take pictures of Andy Allo and even use that on her cover?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 08/11/17 9:15am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

purplefam99 said:

MMJas said:

You are not alone. And I got that impression from the actual movie, Purple Rain. It kind of alludes to that.

I thought THE MoVIE alluded to that too.

not really...computer blue....yes... but not purple rain...

"I was raped by the Arkansas AG who then becomes Governor & President..." Juanita Broaddrick
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 08/11/17 9:26am

DarylB

There's a few things I would like to see released from the Prince estate:Sign O The Timesfilm Special Edition in the USA,the rumored,unreleased 1993 concert movie from the Act 1 and 2 tours,Piano and Microphone Paisley Park shows on Blu Ray and Cd and The Second Coming film with The Time and Zapp And Roger Troutman featured!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 08/11/17 9:53am

OperatingTheta
n

avatar

PurpleYoda3121 said:

So Prince's father apparently composed the melody for Purple Rain eek omg



Siblings naturally have their own view, whether it is objectively true or not is another matter. The film alludes to this so it could simply be confusion or a desire to promote John and his music.

There are obviously aspects about Prince that Sharon doesn't know that we do. She obviously had a different relationship with him and wasn't following him as we have.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 08/11/17 12:50pm

purplefam99

OnlyNDaUsa said:



purplefam99 said:


MMJas said:



You are not alone. And I got that impression from the actual movie, Purple Rain. It kind of alludes to that.



I thought THE MoVIE alluded to that too.


not really...computer blue....yes... but not purple rain...




I'm speaking of the MOVIE Purple Rain not the song Purple Rain.
I think the movie alludes to perhaps some collaboration between the kid and Francis L.

Sorry for the confusion.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 08/11/17 12:52pm

purplefam99

poppys said:



purplefam99 said:


MMJas said:



You are not alone. And I got that impression from the actual movie, Purple Rain. It kind of alludes to that.



I thought THE MoVIE alluded to that too.

WHAT?

lemon crush nailed it.




See post #37
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 08/11/17 12:58pm

purplefam99

lemoncrush19 said:



purplefam99 said:


lemoncrush19 said:



now that's exactly how rumors begin ... she didn't say:"dad composed purple rain" ... she just said: "... I heard the melody of that first from our dad" ... so maybe dad just heard it before her and played it ...

but next thing y'all know (just 3 lil org days later) would be a thread over 253 pages with ppl claiming "prince's dad composed all his music" ... rolleyes



Lemoncrush your point needs to be in bold at the top of this thread, because yes we Are inferring into her statement. And doing that doesn't not serve the truth at all.


u noticed, huh? biggrin

funniest thing is: straight under my original post (#21) which was ignored so far (which is not of any importance for me personally but confirmes pretty much what I tried to mention) ... straight under that post started exactly what I predicted lol ... and a few posts later the whole purple rain movie is dad's creation already ... and lots of orgers knew it all the time ... eek lol




Yep no time at all. But I do feel the Movie Purple Rain alludes to "collaboration"
Or influence between the kid and Francis L. I am not speaking to the song. Just the tone of the film in a few parts.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 08/11/17 1:37pm

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

purplefam99 said:

OnlyNDaUsa said:

not really...computer blue....yes... but not purple rain...

I'm speaking of the MOVIE Purple Rain not the song Purple Rain. I think the movie alludes to perhaps some collaboration between the kid and Francis L. Sorry for the confusion.

opps on my part ok cool yeah

[Edited 8/11/17 13:43pm]

"I was raped by the Arkansas AG who then becomes Governor & President..." Juanita Broaddrick
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 08/11/17 3:19pm

TheQuest

TheEnglishGent said:

Lovejunky said:

Me too and Im having a hard time understanding why he wouldnt have given credit, if its TRUE...

The weird thing for me is that I'd always thought his Dad had input on Purple Rain. The weirder thing is that I've just had a search and can't find any evidence of this, so I've no idea why I had this thought in the first place.

Perhaps it is the Mandela Effect

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 08/11/17 4:40pm

tomds

Not much detailed answers about the content of the vault. They still have little knowledge of whatever is in the vault.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 08/11/17 4:55pm

Marrk

avatar

Nice effort. They'll only release what they think will pull in the most $'s first. No point in asking for anything recent. It'll be all about the 80s first. Unless they're real honest and do something online for the non-casuals, but i just don't really see it happening. The mediocre response to PR deluxe might change things though if we're looking for a silver lining. They might just throw a lot out and see what sticks, he has enough material. But who will promote and market it? I think the estate is like a headless chicken, a rabbit caught in the headlights, a big horrible mess.

Yeah, we'll, we'll try to imagine what silence looks like.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 08/11/17 5:00pm

tomds

Marrk said:

Nice effort. They'll only release what they think will pull in the most $'s first. No point in asking for anything recent. It'll be all about the 80s first. Unless they're real honest and do something online for the non-casuals, but i just don't really see it happening. The mediocre response to PR deluxe might change things though if we're looking for a silver lining. They might just throw a lot out and see what sticks, he has enough material. But who will promote and market it? I think the estate is like a headless chicken, a rabbit caught in the headlights, a big horrible mess.


they should hire an outsider as a compilation producer. A real fan with ears for what's interesting and what's not.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 08/11/17 7:22pm

206Michelle

tomds said:

Not much detailed answers about the content of the vault. They still have little knowledge of whatever is in the vault.

I believe that the Estate knows what is in the Vault or is cataloging the Vault because the Vault is one of the Estate's major assets. Sharon is not the official spokesperson for the Estate, so it is really not her place to comment on the specific contents within the Vault.
[Edited 8/12/17 14:06pm]
Live 4 Love ~ Love is God, God is love, Girls and boys love God above
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 08/11/17 7:24pm

206Michelle

lemoncrush19 said:



PurpleYoda3121 said:


PennyPurple said:


Yes, I'm kinda shocked about that also. eek



Which makes me wonder just how many of Prince's songs were consciously or unconsciously inspired by his dad's music.


now that's exactly how rumors begin ... she didn't say:"dad composed purple rain" ... she just said: "... I heard the melody of that first from our dad" ... so maybe dad just heard it before her and played it ...

but next thing y'all know (just 3 lil org days later) would be a thread over 253 pages with ppl claiming "prince's dad composed all his music" ... rolleyes


yeahthat
Live 4 Love ~ Love is God, God is love, Girls and boys love God above
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 08/11/17 7:40pm

Moonbeam

avatar

fredmagnus said:

Sharon is asking the fans to get together and tell the Estate which 2 projects they want to be released first.

I was wondering if we could open a poll here where fans could pick the 2 first ones they want to be released first.

Then June7 would sent the result to Sharon.

Would this be possible ?
[Edited 8/11/17 1:25am]


I definitely would support this strategy. I mentioned something similar on the thread where we mention 2 projects we would like to see.
Feel free to join in the Prince Song Poll 2016! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince songs, as decided by you!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 08/12/17 1:08am

TheBahtMaster

avatar

They should choose the two best songs cool
1 U.S. Dollar = 34 Bahts

drool
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 08/12/17 3:00am

MMJas

avatar

purplefam99 said:

lemoncrush19 said:


u noticed, huh? biggrin

funniest thing is: straight under my original post (#21) which was ignored so far (which is not of any importance for me personally but confirmes pretty much what I tried to mention) ... straight under that post started exactly what I predicted lol ... and a few posts later the whole purple rain movie is dad's creation already ... and lots of orgers knew it all the time ... eek lol

Yep no time at all. But I do feel the Movie Purple Rain alludes to "collaboration" Or influence between the kid and Francis L. I am not speaking to the song. Just the tone of the film in a few parts.

Hum? Now you agree? That's what i was saying, that i always felt the movie alluded to that, a collaboration/inspiration thing. I got that impression from watching it back when it came out and that PR was some kind of inspiration taken from his dad.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 08/12/17 5:28am

gandorb

TheEnglishGent said:

Lovejunky said:

Me too and Im having a hard time understanding why he wouldnt have given credit, if its TRUE...

The weird thing for me is that I'd always thought his Dad had input on Purple Rain. The weirder thing is that I've just had a search and can't find any evidence of this, so I've no idea why I had this thought in the first place.

[Edited 8/12/17 5:32am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 08/12/17 8:33am

purplefam99

MMJas said:

purplefam99 said:

lemoncrush19 said: Yep no time at all. But I do feel the Movie Purple Rain alludes to "collaboration" Or influence between the kid and Francis L. I am not speaking to the song. Just the tone of the film in a few parts.

Hum? Now you agree? That's what i was saying, that i always felt the movie alluded to that, a collaboration/inspiration thing. I got that impression from watching it back when it came out and that PR was some kind of inspiration taken from his dad.

MMjas, yes hmmm, i believe in post #32 i agreed with you from the start, unless your talking about

Purple Rain the Song and i am referring to Purple Rain the FILM. the fact that they share the same

name can cause confusion. I am speaking about the film NOT the Song. best!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 08/12/17 8:42am

Doozer

avatar

My only comments are:

1. Thank you, June7 (and other mods who helped), for going out of your way to set this Q&A up. This has to be one of the most notable events in org history.

2. Thank you again to Sharon for taking the time to answer questions. Her time is valuable and we are lucky to have a portion of it.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 08/12/17 8:49am

purplefam99

If this is also the Thank You Thread, I too would like to say Thank you very much Sharon for

doing your best to shed light and answer our questions. If you were at Celebration 2017 I do

believe you held the door to the ladies room for me. Thank you!! Best!!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 08/12/17 11:39am

Misslink88

purplefam99 said:

OnlyNDaUsa said:

not really...computer blue....yes... but not purple rain...

I'm speaking of the MOVIE Purple Rain not the song Purple Rain. I think the movie alludes to perhaps some collaboration between the kid and Francis L. Sorry for the confusion.

The Purple Rain I saw alluded to a collaboration between Wendy & Lisa's "unheard" tape and The Kid finally listening to it and then putting Purple Rain together.

God is my Sugar Daddy.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 08/12/17 12:20pm

luvsexy4all

purplefam99 said:

PurpleYoda3121 said:

So Prince's father apparently composed the melody for Purple Rain eek omg

I have often wondered if his father was a silent collaborator. And that any riffs as adults were them quibbling over music. And choosing This direction or that sound. Musical mad men in their workshop. Father and son.

..not if u believe Wendy...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #56 posted 08/12/17 1:44pm

purplefam99

Misslink88 said:



purplefam99 said:


OnlyNDaUsa said:



not really...computer blue....yes... but not purple rain...



I'm speaking of the MOVIE Purple Rain not the song Purple Rain. I think the movie alludes to perhaps some collaboration between the kid and Francis L. Sorry for the confusion.

The Purple Rain I saw alluded to a collaboration between Wendy & Lisa's "unheard" tape and The Kid finally listening to it and then putting Purple Rain together.




Misslink in the movie, to me after he wakes looks at the sheet music goes into the piano room and starts to possible add some of Francis L's arrangement around Lisa and Wendy's tape music. That is the moment of inspiration of Francis L I am speaking of. When he looks at the sheet music.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #57 posted 08/12/17 4:27pm

Misslink88

purplefam99 said:

Misslink88 said:

The Purple Rain I saw alluded to a collaboration between Wendy & Lisa's "unheard" tape and The Kid finally listening to it and then putting Purple Rain together.

Misslink in the movie, to me after he wakes looks at the sheet music goes into the piano room and starts to possible add some of Francis L's arrangement around Lisa and Wendy's tape music. That is the moment of inspiration of Francis L I am speaking of. When he looks at the sheet music.

I saw that moment as him seeing how they were similar in character, not that he took inspiration from it. If you look at the overall "you're music only makes sense to yourself" and his insistence on playing whatever he wanted in the movie, he felt very protective of his self-expression - it was him trying to work through what was happening around him. The tape was a constant sore point between him and W&L and the collaboration was his way of letting them in, unlike his father's approach to those around him. That's just my take on it; I get what you're saying.

God is my Sugar Daddy.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #58 posted 08/12/17 7:15pm

purplefam99

Misslink88 said:



purplefam99 said:


Misslink88 said:


The Purple Rain I saw alluded to a collaboration between Wendy & Lisa's "unheard" tape and The Kid finally listening to it and then putting Purple Rain together.



Misslink in the movie, to me after he wakes looks at the sheet music goes into the piano room and starts to possible add some of Francis L's arrangement around Lisa and Wendy's tape music. That is the moment of inspiration of Francis L I am speaking of. When he looks at the sheet music.

I saw that moment as him seeing how they were similar in character, not that he took inspiration from it. If you look at the overall "you're music only makes sense to yourself" and his insistence on playing whatever he wanted in the movie, he felt very protective of his self-expression - it was him trying to work through what was happening around him. The tape was a constant sore point between him and W&L and the collaboration was his way of letting them in, unlike his father's approach to those around him. That's just my take on it; I get what you're saying.




Yes I was thinking that was why he dedicated the song to him because Francis L was his inspiration in some way. But your scenario could be as well.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #59 posted 08/13/17 3:13am

MMJas

avatar

purplefam99 said:

MMJas said:

Hum? Now you agree? That's what i was saying, that i always felt the movie alluded to that, a collaboration/inspiration thing. I got that impression from watching it back when it came out and that PR was some kind of inspiration taken from his dad.

MMjas, yes hmmm, i believe in post #32 i agreed with you from the start, unless your talking about

Purple Rain the Song and i am referring to Purple Rain the FILM. the fact that they share the same

name can cause confusion. I am speaking about the film NOT the Song. best!

Ok, my bad. smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 9 <123456789>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Discuss The Sharon Nelson Q&A Thread Here - And Only Here