independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 25th May 2017 2:51pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > The Beautiful Ones and Darlin Nikki unedited not included :(
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 04/29/17 12:28am

SanDiegoFunkDa
ddy

The Beautiful Ones and Darlin Nikki unedited not included :(

I was looking forward to these songs unedited. Those morons at Warners weren't even born yet when this masterpiece was released. So they have no idea of the historical value. I wish they could have got Alan Leeds to put it all together

[Edited 4/29/17 0:29am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 04/29/17 12:51am

bluegangsta

avatar

SanDiegoFunkDaddy said:

Those morons at Warners weren't even born yet when this masterpiece was released. So they have no idea of the historical value.

Oh, fuck off with that nonsense. Putting aside from the fact that you're making a baseless assumption, age has nothing to do with understanding historical importance of art.

[Edited 4/29/17 1:15am]

Always cry 4 love, never cry 4 pain.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 04/29/17 12:56am

Moonbeam

avatar

Sure, it would be great to have these. As fans, we all would love a 10 disc set, but how feasible would that be in this market? The set is still pretty exciting as it is, IMO.
Feel free to join in the Prince Song Poll 2016! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince songs, as decided by you!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 04/29/17 1:57am

SanDiegoFunkDa
ddy

If these songs weren't so phenomenal I wouldn't care. The unedited Baby I'm A Star is not that important. Those are two of the best songs in the whole PR project. It sucks the estate or Warners didn't recognize their historical significance. I'm not going to even mention the missing 1983 benefit concert. They wasted space on a CD for edited versions of songs

[Edited 4/29/17 1:59am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 04/29/17 2:03am

BoraBora


Now, I would be happy to have TBO unedited in great quality, since AFAIK it never leaks.

But I can't understand all the fuss for the unedited DN.

We already have it in great quality, and it includes only an instrumental break near the end of the song, a portion that somewhat seems unnecessary.


 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 04/29/17 2:24am

smokeverbs

avatar

You're right, it's not Essential, but the edit in Darling Nikki sticks out like a sore thumb if you know it's there.
Keep your headphones on.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 04/29/17 3:16am

murph

Nope...I'm not missing anything from this place....lol

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 04/29/17 3:22am

SanDiegoFunkDa
ddy

BoraBora said:


Now, I would be happy to have TBO unedited in great quality, since AFAIK it never leaks.

But I can't understand all the fuss for the unedited DN.

We already have it in great quality, and it includes only an instrumental break near the end of the song, a portion that somewhat seems unnecessary.


The unedited Darling Nikki is incredible. He breaks it down then gradually builds it back up with incredible guitar licks. Then the Oberheim and double bass drum go batshit. Everything fits perfectly. Its one of the greatest songs I've ever heard. I have a great quality mp3 of it but nothing compares to CD quality

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 04/29/17 3:36am

MiceElfAgin

SanDiegoFunkDaddy said:

BoraBora said:


Now, I would be happy to have TBO unedited in great quality, since AFAIK it never leaks.

But I can't understand all the fuss for the unedited DN.

We already have it in great quality, and it includes only an instrumental break near the end of the song, a portion that somewhat seems unnecessary.

The unedited Darling Nikki is incredible. He breaks it down then gradually builds it back up with incredible guitar licks. Then the Oberheim and double bass drum go batshit. Everything fits perfectly. Its one of the greatest songs I've ever heard. I have a great quality mp3 of it but nothing compares to CD quality

.
I'm always into hearing the full recordings, I hate edits, but although I'd love to have this in high quality too, I actually agree with Prince on cutting these particular bars. I don't like what he's playing there, especially that f note (at 3.16) really bugs my ears.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 04/29/17 3:56am

Vannormal

avatar

bluegangsta said:

SanDiegoFunkDaddy said:

Those morons at Warners weren't even born yet when this masterpiece was released. So they have no idea of the historical value.

Oh, fuck off with that nonsense. Putting aside from the fact that you're making a baseless assumption, age has nothing to do with understanding historical importance of art.

[Edited 4/29/17 1:15am]

oh yes, somehow, it really does.

“My body reeks with lust, I will rape you if i must.”
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 04/29/17 4:07am

bluegangsta

avatar

Vannormal said:

bluegangsta said:

Oh, fuck off with that nonsense. Putting aside from the fact that you're making a baseless assumption, age has nothing to do with understanding historical importance of art.

[Edited 4/29/17 1:15am]

oh yes, somehow, it really does.

Wow, compelling arguement. Utterly ageist.

Always cry 4 love, never cry 4 pain.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 04/29/17 7:07am

leecaldon

bluegangsta said:

Vannormal said:

oh yes, somehow, it really does.

Wow, compelling arguement. Utterly ageist.

Age really has nothing to do with it. It's a ridiculous assumption to make.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 04/29/17 8:00am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

bluegangsta said:

SanDiegoFunkDaddy said:

Those morons at Warners weren't even born yet when this masterpiece was released. So they have no idea of the historical value.

Oh, fuck off with that nonsense. Putting aside from the fact that you're making a baseless assumption, age has nothing to do with understanding historical importance of art.


Thank you for saying it before I did. I swear fans are just scraping for a reason to bash Warner Bros, and probably solely because Prince did. You know, "Be like Prince".

There are actually longer versions of every song on PR except "When Doves Cry". This is Warner Fucking Bros. They know the historical value of any unedited song; a tune in its original form before being edited down for an album, especially in the days of an album holding 30-minutes per side (although most records timed closer to 22-minutes; the format can hold up to 30-minutes).

Just because Prince fans are of a certain age, mostly, and were around in the early days doesn't mean the next generation is clueless to the idea of bootlegs, unedited tracks, etc. It's arrogant. The fact that some really rare shit is on that 2nd disk shows someone there knows what is going on.

Prince oversaw and signed off on the whole thing - so ...


"Despite everything, no 1 can dictate who u r 2 other people." - Prince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 04/29/17 9:10am

antonb

Not Alan Leeds thanks, hes talking in every shit bio documentary going, like Mica Paris since when has she been a close friend of Princes.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 04/29/17 11:14am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

why not the original Let's go Crazy as recorded without the guitar solo overdub or addition.

but yeah I would prefer a disc of alternative takes and extended stuff than the edits.

I Stand United with Manchester!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 04/29/17 11:16am

luvsexy4all

the org will be filled with this stuff till the thing comes out....

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 04/29/17 12:24pm

SpookyNopetopu
s

avatar

I think we all need to remember that while Prince fans might be interested in all of this, not everyone will be -- or should be expected to have an interest. Yes, Prince was one of the greatest musical artists of a generation, but he was by no means the only one, and WB (or any other recording company, for that matter) is not obligated to constantly focus on Prince, Prince, and only Prince. That would be extremely expensive -- and silly. I know you guys are very, very interested in seeing his music and whatnot preserved -- but you also need to cool it with the tantrums over everything. You're coming at this as a fan, not as a business exec -- who has to examine whether it's feasible to do it. And it might not be from a business standpoint, which is the natural habitat of the WB.

I know that I, personally, am not particularly interested in gathering every bit of Prince memorabilia or whatever that may be out there. Because 14 versions of a song is kind of... overdoing it, for me. I like Darling Nikki, but I only need one version of it, and I have it, and am content with that. biggrin If you're not, that's cool, just keep in mind that not everyone's gonna run out and buy all this stuff you guys want. Diehard fans? Yeah probably! Those of us who are less obsessive about it? Nope.

I imagine myself inside your bedroom; oh, I imagine myself in your sky.
kitty cop
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 04/29/17 12:26pm

rdhull

avatar

Why did this need its own thread? lol

The Russians killed Prince and he also had alzheimers (and worshipped da debil)-The Org
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 04/29/17 12:45pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

Let's all not pant and sweat and get emotional. And let's remember that this will all get milked and milked and milked for millennia to come. It will be repackaged and repackaged and repackaged for as long as possible.

But in this age of streaming, the beauty is that you will be able to pick and choose just what means something to you, and not the entire package or repackage as they become available.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 04/29/17 1:27pm

kmama07

SpookyNopetopus said:

I think we all need to remember that while Prince fans might be interested in all of this, not everyone will be -- or should be expected to have an interest. Yes, Prince was one of the greatest musical artists of a generation, but he was by no means the only one, and WB (or any other recording company, for that matter) is not obligated to constantly focus on Prince, Prince, and only Prince. That would be extremely expensive -- and silly. I know you guys are very, very interested in seeing his music and whatnot preserved -- but you also need to cool it with the tantrums over everything. You're coming at this as a fan, not as a business exec -- who has to examine whether it's feasible to do it. And it might not be from a business standpoint, which is the natural habitat of the WB.



I know that I, personally, am not particularly interested in gathering every bit of Prince memorabilia or whatever that may be out there. Because 14 versions of a song is kind of... overdoing it, for me. I like Darling Nikki, but I only need one version of it, and I have it, and am content with that. biggrin If you're not, that's cool, just keep in mind that not everyone's gonna run out and buy all this stuff you guys want. Diehard fans? Yeah probably! Those of us who are less obsessive about it? Nope.


Just an aside:
Along with being a Prince fan I also have followed U2 since '81-'82 . Being an avid collector (of both), I purchased a special edition U2 IPOD circa 2004. Trust me, be careful what you wish for. This thing was preloaded with every album U2 had recorded up until that time (cool), along with some "rarities" and live material (also cool). However, it also had about ten thousand different edits of the same five or ten songs. So annoying and waste of space. I guess my point is, sometimes too much is too much. I do love both darling Nikki and especially beautiful ones, but don't need a million copies of either. In the days of buying 12" singles and such, yes, I would have for collection, but nowadays no company is going to roll out mega deluxe expanded editions of anything. People just don't buy hard copies like they did back in the day.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 04/29/17 5:48pm

bluegangsta

avatar

leecaldon said:

bluegangsta said:

Wow, compelling arguement. Utterly ageist.

Age really has nothing to do with it. It's a ridiculous assumption to make.

Age has nothing to do with the assumption that younger people can't place importance in history? Okay.

Always cry 4 love, never cry 4 pain.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 04/29/17 6:06pm

SpookyNopetopu
s

avatar

kmama07 said:

SpookyNopetopus said:

I think we all need to remember that while Prince fans might be interested in all of this, not everyone will be -- or should be expected to have an interest. Yes, Prince was one of the greatest musical artists of a generation, but he was by no means the only one, and WB (or any other recording company, for that matter) is not obligated to constantly focus on Prince, Prince, and only Prince. That would be extremely expensive -- and silly. I know you guys are very, very interested in seeing his music and whatnot preserved -- but you also need to cool it with the tantrums over everything. You're coming at this as a fan, not as a business exec -- who has to examine whether it's feasible to do it. And it might not be from a business standpoint, which is the natural habitat of the WB.

I know that I, personally, am not particularly interested in gathering every bit of Prince memorabilia or whatever that may be out there. Because 14 versions of a song is kind of... overdoing it, for me. I like Darling Nikki, but I only need one version of it, and I have it, and am content with that. biggrin If you're not, that's cool, just keep in mind that not everyone's gonna run out and buy all this stuff you guys want. Diehard fans? Yeah probably! Those of us who are less obsessive about it? Nope.

Just an aside: Along with being a Prince fan I also have followed U2 since '81-'82 . Being an avid collector (of both), I purchased a special edition U2 IPOD circa 2004. Trust me, be careful what you wish for. This thing was preloaded with every album U2 had recorded up until that time (cool), along with some "rarities" and live material (also cool). However, it also had about ten thousand different edits of the same five or ten songs. So annoying and waste of space. I guess my point is, sometimes too much is too much. I do love both darling Nikki and especially beautiful ones, but don't need a million copies of either. In the days of buying 12" singles and such, yes, I would have for collection, but nowadays no company is going to roll out mega deluxe expanded editions of anything. People just don't buy hard copies like they did back in the day.

Um... you do realize we agree, right? biggrin Reread my post.

I imagine myself inside your bedroom; oh, I imagine myself in your sky.
kitty cop
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 04/29/17 7:34pm

woogiebear

Beautiful & Nikki UNCUT SHOULD be included!!!

cool

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 04/29/17 8:06pm

EddieC

bluegangsta said:

leecaldon said:

Age really has nothing to do with it. It's a ridiculous assumption to make.

Age has nothing to do with the assumption that younger people can't place importance in history? Okay.

[Looking at this after I wrote it, it really isn't mostly directed at any of what you two said--it just started there, so I'm leaving the quotes above]

History? The historical importance of Purple Rain is all in that first disc, as released. That's what mattered. The released music is what caught the general public's and other musicians' ears, that's what matters historically. Whatever this fascination with outtakes and alternate versions is (and God knows I share it), it isn't history. Prince isn't going to become a greater figure in musical history based on what extras are included in these packages, and very few people would care about the extended The Beautiful Ones and Darling Nikki--I can't even pretend to care about Darling Nikki, and even though The Beautiful Ones might very well be my favorite Prince track, I can't make an argument that the released version is weaker because of the edits--it's probably stronger, to be honest. Would I have minded if they'd been included in the set? Nope, I would have liked it, even. But the fact that they aren't makes perfect sense to me. The single edits make more sense as an inclusion--they actually are part of history (though many have been released on earlier collections, those collections are filled with years of tracks that many potential customers for this release never paid any attention to). I certainly wouldn't use space on the smaller package for such alternate versions--if I want to expose people to Prince's range and vault, I'd rather do it through songs the general public doesn't already pretty much know. Most vault releases should probably be "new" songs, not alternates. If we can get to the point where they're releasing "EVERYTHING" then I'll be there for it. But there's no point in complaining because we're not getting such tracks now. We never had any real reason to expect to, and right now the powers-that-be have even less reason to release them.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 04/30/17 4:54am

leecaldon

bluegangsta said:

leecaldon said:

Age really has nothing to do with it. It's a ridiculous assumption to make.

Age has nothing to do with the assumption that younger people can't place importance in history? Okay.

I was agreeing with you.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 04/30/17 5:11am

bluegangsta

avatar

leecaldon said:

bluegangsta said:

Age has nothing to do with the assumption that younger people can't place importance in history? Okay.

I was agreeing with you.

Ah, my apologies.

Always cry 4 love, never cry 4 pain.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 04/30/17 6:04am

Se7en

avatar

I understand including Computer Blue (Hallway Speech) because that mix makes it an almost completely different song, and it still has the "spiritual" vibe going for it.

The Beautiful Ones and Darling Nikki that you're referencing - I think the edits are much stronger (although I do like the extra jamming on Darling Nikki).

The Beautiful Ones and the original Purple Rain both had verses in them about money, which were kind of sung in an angry fashion, so it's not surprising that both of those verses were cut from the final versions. Those verses would've changed the album quite a bit IMO (especially if they had both been left in). That album was not about money, and it wasn't about anger.

On a simpler note: I think Prince always wanted to convey the notion that these songs were fully realized from the outset . . . I don't think he'd want us to see his "sketches" in progress.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 04/30/17 6:20am

bluegangsta

avatar

Se7en said:

On a simpler note: I think Prince always wanted to convey the notion that these songs were fully realized from the outset . . . I don't think he'd want us to see his "sketches" in progress.

We're getting the earliest version of We Can Fu(c/n)k?

Always cry 4 love, never cry 4 pain.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 04/30/17 8:03am

ufoclub

avatar

I had been hoping for the original studio demos of I Would Die 4 U, Baby I'm a Star, Purple Rain. That is the true gold directly related to this era.

Check out my first feature film trailer: https://vimeo.com/184919908
Check out my first art book: http://www.lulu.com/spotl...ecomicskid

VIDEO WORK: http://sharadkantpatel.com
MUSIC: http://www.soundcloud.com/ufoclub1977
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 04/30/17 8:55am

kmama07

SpookyNopetopus said:



kmama07 said:


SpookyNopetopus said:

I think we all need to remember that while Prince fans might be interested in all of this, not everyone will be -- or should be expected to have an interest. Yes, Prince was one of the greatest musical artists of a generation, but he was by no means the only one, and WB (or any other recording company, for that matter) is not obligated to constantly focus on Prince, Prince, and only Prince. That would be extremely expensive -- and silly. I know you guys are very, very interested in seeing his music and whatnot preserved -- but you also need to cool it with the tantrums over everything. You're coming at this as a fan, not as a business exec -- who has to examine whether it's feasible to do it. And it might not be from a business standpoint, which is the natural habitat of the WB.



I know that I, personally, am not particularly interested in gathering every bit of Prince memorabilia or whatever that may be out there. Because 14 versions of a song is kind of... overdoing it, for me. I like Darling Nikki, but I only need one version of it, and I have it, and am content with that. biggrin If you're not, that's cool, just keep in mind that not everyone's gonna run out and buy all this stuff you guys want. Diehard fans? Yeah probably! Those of us who are less obsessive about it? Nope.



Just an aside: Along with being a Prince fan I also have followed U2 since '81-'82 . Being an avid collector (of both), I purchased a special edition U2 IPOD circa 2004. Trust me, be careful what you wish for. This thing was preloaded with every album U2 had recorded up until that time (cool), along with some "rarities" and live material (also cool). However, it also had about ten thousand different edits of the same five or ten songs. So annoying and waste of space. I guess my point is, sometimes too much is too much. I do love both darling Nikki and especially beautiful ones, but don't need a million copies of either. In the days of buying 12" singles and such, yes, I would have for collection, but nowadays no company is going to roll out mega deluxe expanded editions of anything. People just don't buy hard copies like they did back in the day.

Um... you do realize we agree, right? biggrin Reread my post.


Totally! I was simply agreeing with YOU with my own (long) example ...
thumbs up!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > The Beautiful Ones and Darlin Nikki unedited not included :(