independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 19th Sep 2018 7:25am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince Did Blow It By Being So Difficult With Fans
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 6 123456>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 05/06/16 3:48pm

Cloreen

avatar

Prince Did Blow It By Being So Difficult With Fans

.

In the wake of Prince's passing, something has dawned on me: Prince and his offbeat behavior with the caretaking of his music really cost him an opportunity to be a very special and extremely beloved entertainer.

.

OK, I have no problem with Prince and his desire for privacy. Rare interviews with media, shut in at his home, few appearances outside of gigs...that's his choice and his lifestyle. More power to him. But it was his behavior regarding his music and its accessibility to the people that really seems like such a bad decision now.

.

The outpouring of emotion after his death was really stunning. His death cut through all segments of our society. From the higher-ups to the guy in the slums; from celeb to average Joe; black, white, Puerto Rican, straight or gay... Prince reached us all. And all seemed to express great sadnes upon his passing. Newscasters all over TV wearing purple the next day, musical tributes from every artist performing, a statement from The President of The United States, a porno site named Pornhub replaced the P in its name with prince! My God, the top of the Empire State Building was lit purple upon his passing! Great sadness and love was expressed worldwide. The kind of reaction a real Prince or Princess (Diana) would get.

.

Now here's where Prince blew it for all those years. Why release music only via download, or joining his club, or only overseas? I don't care that some of those records were jazz instrumentals -- he's an artist and all artists may craft what they please. But to limit the ability of people to obtain that music was flat out wrong. Look at all the Prince fans there truly are. These past two weeks have shown all those PURPLE RAIN fans were still out there loving Prince and his music. But he releases an album that can only be obtained in the newspapers of Europe. WTF? Oh, and if you want his new album "Chocolate Invasion"...go to his website, pay a one hundred dollar yearly fee, and then you can get his music. Is it any wonder that fans did not hear his music? One of his records once sold 14 million copies! The fan base was clearly there, yet he chose not to give them a fair chance at hearing his music.

.

But the real problem was his Stalin-like paranoia over youtube. Go there now and read the comments on all the Prince videos. Nothing but love, love, love and tons of "I haven't seen this in twenty years! Oh, I missed this so much!" Prince kept the joy of his music from fans who loved his music. Heck, I'm a Prince fanatic and I haven't seen that "Batdance" video in decades. That should never have been the case. Never. He also kept that great music from young people who use youtube to discover music. Radio doesn't break artists anymore...and radio sure wasn't playing any Prince music the past 20 years. youtube is radio nowadays. Prince essentially took himself off the air! He hurt the people and he hurt himself. Prince's battle with youtube showed that he was extremely selfish and shortsighted.

.

Prince was great, one of America's greatest artists in any artistic field...but he could have been so much more had he made his music available for the people to hear. Clearly he was beloved. Why didn't he see that? Why didn't he see that were weren't trying to rip him off...we just wanted to hear the music he made which is the music millions and millions and millions loved?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 05/06/16 4:29pm

ChanGirl

As a long time fan, I must admit I was a little annoyed when he took his stuff off the web. He was such an electrifying performer, I missed my fix. But Prince was a genius and we all know they are hard to understand. I just figured it was Prince being Prince, I loved him anyway, and so I'd wait till he changed his mind. Never did I think it would end up like this .... cry

You know Prince wasn't no damn drug addict !
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 05/06/16 4:33pm

drumm23

meh --- it's like saying Einstein could have been way more popular if he'd just explained things more clearly .... Prince was a musical genius, a true, literal, musical genius so he simply couldn't function on that type of level of normality: doing the marketing, the hard sell, the MTV interviews.... if we would have had that, then we would not have had Prince.

.

For me the failing wasn't with Prince for not playing to others' expectations, the failure was with the masses and the media for not recognising the master who walked amongst them... until it was too late.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 05/06/16 4:41pm

RiotPaisley

Maybe if people weren't ripping copies of his music and selling it or using it in ways he didn't want it to be things would be different. He was an artist and wanted due compensation for his stuff. There were a few things he did that got me frustrated- I think fairly recently he issued a cease and desist to a DJ who was having Prince nights or something and someone posted a video of people dancing. I thought that went too far but I understood why he wouldn't want people putting his albums on YouTube. Maybe he should have done it himself and found a way to be compensated but he was valid for wanting credit.

I didn't mind having to dig for his work. That was kind of fun actually. A treasure hunt. Having the sites go down or tracks I legit paid for disappear from my iTunes account, not cool ... But otherwise, no. He did not "blow it" with fans. He had every right to be a mystery. It kept him out of the tabloids. Look what they did to Michael all the time. Hell, look at the what they are doing to Prince now that he's not here to defend himself.

If anything I wish he would have put out more DVDs with live stuff, videos, controlled behind the scenes/interviews kind of stuff. But people would bootleg and profit from that too so... If anything maybe he wasn't the best business man. He didn't trust people and I don't really blame him for that.
Surprise, surprise.
Another treat. Another trick.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 05/06/16 4:42pm

RiotPaisley

drumm23 said:

meh --- it's like saying Einstein could have been way more popular if he'd just explained things more clearly .... Prince was a musical genius, a true, literal, musical genius so he simply couldn't function on that type of level of normality: doing the marketing, the hard sell, the MTV interviews.... if we would have had that, then we would not have had Prince.


.


For me the failing wasn't with Prince for not playing to others' expectations, the failure was with the masses and the media for not recognising the master who walked amongst them... until it was too late.




AMEN!
Surprise, surprise.
Another treat. Another trick.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 05/06/16 4:44pm

pinkeekeen

RiotPaisley said:

drumm23 said:

meh --- it's like saying Einstein could have been way more popular if he'd just explained things more clearly .... Prince was a musical genius, a true, literal, musical genius so he simply couldn't function on that type of level of normality: doing the marketing, the hard sell, the MTV interviews.... if we would have had that, then we would not have had Prince.


.


For me the failing wasn't with Prince for not playing to others' expectations, the failure was with the masses and the media for not recognising the master who walked amongst them... until it was too late.




AMEN!


yes
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 05/06/16 5:16pm

sonshine

avatar

drumm23 said:

meh --- it's like saying Einstein could have been way more popular if he'd just explained things more clearly .... Prince was a musical genius, a true, literal, musical genius so he simply couldn't function on that type of level of normality: doing the marketing, the hard sell, the MTV interviews.... if we would have had that, then we would not have had Prince.


.


For me the failing wasn't with Prince for not playing to others' expectations, the failure was with the masses and the media for not recognising the master who walked amongst them... until it was too late.


Yet how could they know when he made it so difficult.
I feel quite strongly about artists being compensated and respected Prince for what he was doing mostly. But I don't see how having his music videos at least available for viewing. I've never stolen any music from any artist yet I know so many others do. That's sad. My kids all love music and I always wanted to share my love for Prince with them. They just never quite got there and that's where the music videos make a huge difference. It always takes the artist to a higher level of admiration imo when you have that visual experience to enhance the audio.
It's a hurtful place, the world, in and of itself. We don't need to add to it. We all need one another. ~ PRN
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 05/06/16 5:50pm

beacheemom

To keep it simple: the way Prince was is what made us desire more of him; well besides his musical genius abilities. I mean, he didn't want to be like other artists, he wasn't like other artists. I understand the frustration of not being able to get to some of his music, but it kept us desiring. He was complex and so many different sides to him that made us normal folk shaking our heads wondering his motive behind some of his decisions. Bottom line is I believe he knew how special he was. He has stated in interviews he did not fame. He just wanted to make music and great music at that. His songs were his babies and he just wanted to protect them is all.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 05/06/16 5:59pm

terrig

The out pourinf across the globe that continues to gain steam rather than slow down hardly means that Prince blew it.

He wasn;t like anyone else. We loved him just for that reason. Everything is/was as it it is supposed to be as painful as it is right now, and as maddening as he could be...

Prince gave no fucks, and I wish I could 'blow it' like Prince did.

mad

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 05/06/16 6:02pm

SoulAlive

It saddens me that treasures from his vault will be released in the future,but he won't be around to see the reaction.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 05/06/16 6:22pm

violectrica

avatar

SoulAlive said:

It saddens me that treasures from his vault will be released in the future,but he won't be around to see the reaction.

I'm betting he didn't need the reaction. There is so much excitement love and adoration at each Prince event. I'm sure he already imagined it would be like that. Just hit replay in you're mind and you got it. He was so imaginative. I'm sure he figured it out. We are going to live it and he knew we would smile
Trufax: My daddy told me the he and mom went to Purple Rain in a Seattle Theater. They were so moved by the movie that they went into the record store and bought the album immediately. They went home and conceived me.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 05/06/16 6:52pm

KEROUAC

I've been lurking on the forum recently and was going to post a similar point to Cloreen on the Johnny-come-lately thread seeing as I am one. I've never been a real Prince fan but since his passing have been exposed to a lot more of his music and videos via youtube.

I know there has been some ridiculing of the people who have only just discovered just what an incredible musician Prince was but I know from speaking on other general music forums that this effect has been widespread among non fans who hadn't been exposed to it.

The lack of exposure Prince had on mainstream sites has to be a big contributing factor and was a very unusual stance for a modern performer in the digital age wasn't it? Perhaps he was happy with the fanbase he had but as an artist surely you want people to know about your work without the need to sell out. Even The Beatles came around to doing deals with Spotify and other big players for their complete catalogue which is something that will maintain their legacy for future generations (I'm a Beatles nut by the way biggrin ).

I was also stunned to read about Prince suing fans for live bootlegs.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 05/06/16 6:56pm

mynameisnotsus
an

violectrica said:

SoulAlive said:

It saddens me that treasures from his vault will be released in the future,but he won't be around to see the reaction.

I'm betting he didn't need the reaction. There is so much excitement love and adoration at each Prince event. I'm sure he already imagined it would be like that. Just hit replay in you're mind and you got it. He was so imaginative. I'm sure he figured it out. We are going to live it and he knew we would smile


He said it himself on the Larry King interview - that the success of the music was at the point when it was created. And it's true, it doesn't matter if 5 bazillion people hear it or 5 - it doesn't change a note that was created. The taking care of business part is separate, and he had the nerve and luxury to pretty much do whatever the hell he wanted, whenever he wanted. It was an amazing ride, and it will keep going - I just hope without too much acrimony/litigation/exploitation.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 05/06/16 6:59pm

laurarichardso
n

Cloreen said:

.


In the wake of Prince's passing, something has dawned on me: Prince and his offbeat behavior with the caretaking of his music really cost him an opportunity to be a very special and extremely beloved entertainer.


.


OK, I have no problem with Prince and his desire for privacy. Rare interviews with media, shut in at his home, few appearances outside of gigs...that's his choice and his lifestyle. More power to him. But it was his behavior regarding his music and its accessibility to the people that really seems like such a bad decision now.


.


The outpouring of emotion after his death was really stunning. His death cut through all segments of our society. From the higher-ups to the guy in the slums; from celeb to average Joe; black, white, Puerto Rican, straight or gay... Prince reached us all. And all seemed to express great sadnes upon his passing. Newscasters all over TV wearing purple the next day, musical tributes from every artist performing, a statement from The President of The United States, a porno site named Pornhub replaced the P in its name with prince! My God, the top of the Empire State Building was lit purple upon his passing! Great sadness and love was expressed worldwide. The kind of reaction a real Prince or Princess (Diana) would get.


.


Now here's where Prince blew it for all those years. Why release music only via download, or joining his club, or only overseas? I don't care that some of those records were jazz instrumentals -- he's an artist and all artists may craft what they please. But to limit the ability of people to obtain that music was flat out wrong. Look at all the Prince fans there truly are. These past two weeks have shown all those PURPLE RAIN fans were still out there loving Prince and his music. But he releases an album that can only be obtained in the newspapers of Europe. WTF? Oh, and if you want his new album "Chocolate Invasion"...go to his website, pay a one hundred dollar yearly fee, and then you can get his music. Is it any wonder that fans did not hear his music? One of his records once sold 14 million copies! The fan base was clearly there, yet he chose not to give them a fair chance at hearing his music.


.


But the real problem was his Stalin-like paranoia over youtube. Go there now and read the comments on all the Prince videos. Nothing but love, love, love and tons of "I haven't seen this in twenty years! Oh, I missed this so much!" Prince kept the joy of his music from fans who loved his music. Heck, I'm a Prince fanatic and I haven't seen that "Batdance" video in decades. That should never have been the case. Never. He also kept that great music from young people who use youtube to discover music. Radio doesn't break artists anymore...and radio sure wasn't playing any Prince music the past 20 years. youtube is radio nowadays. Prince essentially took himself off the air! He hurt the people and he hurt himself. Prince's battle with youtube showed that he was extremely selfish and shortsighted.


.


Prince was great, one of America's greatest artists in any artistic field...but he could have been so much more had he made his music available for the people to hear. Clearly he was beloved. Why didn't he see that? Why didn't he see that were weren't trying to rip him off...we just wanted to hear the music he made which is the music millions and millions and millions loved?



Becuase people could not look without buying his music means he was smart. Why do you think people are buying his music now they did not have access to it for for the on YouTube for the last 11 years.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 05/06/16 7:05pm

homesquid

avatar

It hurt him big time while alive. But after death? All bets are off. Everybody loves Prince now.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 05/06/16 7:07pm

EyeOfOlympus

I've always been in the minority about this but here goes. And not on this site clearly but in general. I'm happy that Prince was very selective of how, when, and where his music was to be distributed and put out. Did it hurt his possible future album sales or new markets or new demographic of fans(races and ages)? Possiby...actually yeah of course. But I really don't care because Prince wasn't fully about commercial gain. I mean I'm sure making a living doing what he loved was a goal but ultimately he wasn't some money hungry bastard. He felt pirating music was outlandish and a tragic case of laziness and or disrepectfulness. If one doesn't have the money that's a different aspect. But to purposely and llegally exploit someone's art because you don't feel it's worthy of paying for it then piss off in my opinion. But overall I was blessed to be introduced to Prince's music through family, friends and many other avenues. I'm blessed to say that.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 05/06/16 7:14pm

RiotPaisley

sonshine said:

drumm23 said:

meh --- it's like saying Einstein could have been way more popular if he'd just explained things more clearly .... Prince was a musical genius, a true, literal, musical genius so he simply couldn't function on that type of level of normality: doing the marketing, the hard sell, the MTV interviews.... if we would have had that, then we would not have had Prince.


.


For me the failing wasn't with Prince for not playing to others' expectations, the failure was with the masses and the media for not recognising the master who walked amongst them... until it was too late.


Yet how could they know when he made it so difficult.
I feel quite strongly about artists being compensated and respected Prince for what he was doing mostly. But I don't see how having his music videos at least available for viewing. I've never stolen any music from any artist yet I know so many others do. That's sad. My kids all love music and I always wanted to share my love for Prince with them. They just never quite got there and that's where the music videos make a huge difference. It always takes the artist to a higher level of admiration imo when you have that visual experience to enhance the audio.


Im not sure how you say it was so diffict to access him. I had his videos on VHS in the 80s/90s, I bought his Hits DVD (it was stolen and I just bought it again) and his music could be found online FOR PURCHASE pretty easily. There were ALWAYS some Prince CDs/ DVDs in used book stores etc. besides, in the end he didn't care about fame or money he just wanted to make music and if it was out there he wanted to get paid. He's put out amazing albums that critics dissed because they just didn't get it. It's funny to me all these cats saying now what a genius he is... Rolling Stone giving him a whole mag when for years they acted like he was just that freaky dude who had a few hits. I mean part of me is happy he's getting the recognition he deserves now, but another part of me is pissed because he was ours, the fams, those of us that got it and respected his artistry and put up with his hijinx all these years cuz we LOVE HIM SO HARD.

People coming on here saying oh he blew it... Garbage. He didn't blow nothing. He lived for his art and he died for it. He ran his ass to the ground. He worked himself to death and people are going to complain cuz they couldn't just type his name in a search bar and enjoy the show for free!!?!? As Prince would say, shut up already, damn!
Surprise, surprise.
Another treat. Another trick.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 05/06/16 7:16pm

CynicKill

He was crazy like a fox.

Being the un-tech savvy person that I am I just got around to hearing this yesterday.

One of those albums I don't have.

LOVE IT!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 05/06/16 7:23pm

Toadlips

Cloreen, I agree with you 100%. Back in the day when Prince was fighting to free himself from WB, I was stoked. Prince said he was gonna "free the music", and I believed him. Supposedly, WB wasn't letting him put out all of the stuff he wanted to, and when he released the 3-disc Emancipation with the promise that "this is what freedom sounds like", I actually thought things were going to work out great for the fans. It turned out to be hogwash, of course. Instead of freedom, we got crappy websites and dysfunctional music clubs. Instead of being easier to get Prince's music, it was harder.

More recently, Prince wanted us to join "Tidal" at a RIDICULOUS monthly rate in order to hear a paltry "purple pick of the week" and be left with nothing at the end of the subscription. Sorry, but I've been getting better picks of the week from bootlegs. Why is it that bootleggers are releasing better music than Prince himself? Why is Prince releasing a single live song (that wasn't the highlight of the show) from a 2 hour concert rather than the whole concert? Why was he so admant about getting the masters and then not capitalizing on them with a remaster? I just don't get it.

I'll agree with all of you who say that Prince was a musical genius, but he was no genius when it came to business. If the main reason for maintaining control over his music was to make a dollar, then he certainly missed the boat. If he thought that take down notices, overpriced fan clubs and rent-to-never-own streaming services were what freedom sounded like, then he was sorely mistaken.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 05/06/16 7:23pm

Eileen

Cloreen said:

The fan base was clearly there, yet he chose not to give them a fair chance at hearing his music.

Prince kept the joy of his music from fans who loved his music. Heck, I'm a Prince fanatic and I haven't seen that "Batdance" video in decades. That should never have been the case. Never. He also kept that great music from young people who use youtube to discover music.


Couldn't agree more. For someone who uttered the fairly repellent, "I don't talk to old people…they try to find ways to stay static. Young folks are the ones with the ideas and constantly moving forward," he was awfully quick to reject the young folks ideas all the same.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 05/06/16 7:31pm

CynicKill

Toadlips said:

Cloreen, I agree with you 100%. Back in the day when Prince was fighting to free himself from WB, I was stoked. Prince said he was gonna "free the music", and I believed him. Supposedly, WB wasn't letting him put out all of the stuff he wanted to, and when he released the 3-disc Emancipation with the promise that "this is what freedom sounds like", I actually thought things were going to work out great for the fans. It turned out to be hogwash, of course. Instead of freedom, we got crappy websites and dysfunctional music clubs. Instead of being easier to get Prince's music, it was harder.

More recently, Prince wanted us to join "Tidal" at a RIDICULOUS monthly rate in order to hear a paltry "purple pick of the week" and be left with nothing at the end of the subscription. Sorry, but I've been getting better picks of the week from bootlegs. Why is it that bootleggers are releasing better music than Prince himself? Why is Prince releasing a single live song (that wasn't the highlight of the show) from a 2 hour concert rather than the whole concert? Why was he so admant about getting the masters and then not capitalizing on them with a remaster? I just don't get it.

I'll agree with all of you who say that Prince was a musical genius, but he was no genius when it came to business. If the main reason for maintaining control over his music was to make a dollar, then he certainly missed the boat. If he thought that take down notices, overpriced fan clubs and rent-to-never-own streaming services were what freedom sounded like, then he was sorely mistaken.

>

He was a strange man.

This is no secret to anybody.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 05/06/16 7:36pm

Funkmeimfamous

avatar

I'm tore about this.
.
I think Prince recognised that the same people that own YouTube were the ones that owned Warner Brothers. Essentially he did not want big business to profit from his art.
.
I think it's admirable that Prince wasn't so obsessed with his celebrity that he was willing to overlook his own values.
Baby, that was much too fast... 1958-2016
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 05/06/16 7:49pm

Cloreen

avatar

RiotPaisley said:

People coming on here saying oh he blew it... Garbage.

.

I'll answer this one with words that are far better than I could ever say:

.

"A spiritual gift is given to each of us so we can help each other." - Corinthians 12:7

.

"As each has received a gift from God, use it to serve one another." - 1Peter 4:10

.

"Your talent is God’s gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." - Leo Buscaglia

.

We all here know that Prince was graced with a special gift from God. Yet Prince made that gift available only if you pay your $100 annual fee to The NPG Music Club. VISA and MasterCard accepted.

.

Should the man be compensated for his music? Of course. Should the man have made that gift accessible to others? Used his gift to reach as many people as possible? The Bible tells us of course.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 05/06/16 8:03pm

Cloreen

avatar

Toadlips said:

Cloreen, I agree with you 100%. Back in the day when Prince was fighting to free himself from WB, I was stoked. Prince said he was gonna "free the music", and I believed him.....

.

Very good post. So right about "Emancipation." I loved it. A three record set, picked it up at Tower Records. So this is Prince unshackled from Warner Brothers? Fantastic. But then how quickly that changed.

.

Was there really anything wrong with walking in to a Tower Records to buy some new material from Prince? I just want the new Prince music. I really had to join Love4OneAnother.com to do that? He removed himself from the game for what is ultimately selfish reasons, and in doing so he removed his remarkable gift from millions and millions of people.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 05/06/16 8:57pm

irresistiblebi
tch666

I always thought that blocking his music from multiple streaming services was a crock of shit. Nobody worth their salt with the common sense that god gave em is going to join Tidal. Tidal is not for the fans, its all about greed. If you truly love an artist, you will support them by going to a record shop and purchasing that person's albums. I listened to Prince's music on grooveshark and imeem and spotify and rhapsody and that was before and after I went out and brought his albums. Prince was never going to be soup kitchen poor if he let his music be on youtube or itunes but that was how he made it seem. Prince had an extensive catalog of music and he was still receiving residual checks from PR/UTCM/GB and I am fairly certain that the man was getting a percentage of the royalties from his proteges albums so definitely was not going to end up in the poor house. I respect Prince as a musician and I think he was a musical genius but the way he treated his fans was nuts. When Prince blocked his music from being on youtube, he lost the opportunity to gain new fans and followers. The kids today dont know who Prince is because he never let them find out and the only reason they are hearing about him now is cause the man has went on to glory. If Prince was so obsessed with people not ripping off his music, why not start a reasonable streaming service? Oh wait that would mean he couldnt make a profit. A multimillionaire with 10 trillion ways of revenue bitches about not making more money and I am supposed to symphatize with it? Um 1-800-hell-to-the-no. Its a toll free number that can be dialed at any time. Prince was the pioneer for so many things that were internet related but he blew it with the fans by being a bully. No other entertainer is as psycho as Prince was about youtube and streaming services. Most artists know that their fans will buy records even after listening to an album on rhapsody or seeing a music video on youtube. Hell, music videos on youtube are promos basically for an album. I know we are supposed to be grieving but lets just admit that Prince was a terrible businessman.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 05/06/16 9:04pm

Thizz

Read this thread now

http://prince.org/msg/7/422575?pr

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 05/06/16 9:05pm

RiotPaisley

Cloreen said:



RiotPaisley said:


People coming on here saying oh he blew it... Garbage.

.


I'll answer this one with words that are far better than I could ever say:


.


"A spiritual gift is given to each of us so we can help each other." - Corinthians 12:7


.


"As each has received a gift from God, use it to serve one another." - 1Peter 4:10


.


"Your talent is God’s gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." - Leo Buscaglia


.


We all here know that Prince was graced with a special gift from God. Yet Prince made that gift available only if you pay your $100 annual fee to The NPG Music Club. VISA and MasterCard accepted.


.


Should the man be compensated for his music? Of course. Should the man have made that gift accessible to others? Used his gift to reach as many people as possible? The Bible tells us of course.





That book supposedly says a lot of stuff. And I'm going to be respectful to people's beliefs on here but don't quote the bible on me. Especially involving Prince right now cuz I ain't in the mood for all that right now.

I didn't mind paying for his music. I thought the subscription idea with love4oneanother was cool, unfortunately something happened and it went down. I don't know what it was but yeah that irritated me. His business dealings were sketchy- was that his fault or the suits? I don't know. He was experimenting with ways to get himself out there. I get what you're saying, it was technically harder to access him but if I figured it out it couldn't have been THAT hard.

Don't forget, the man suffered a HUGE tradgedy right after emancipation. At the end of the day this musical genius, maybe not so great business man, was a human being and I think we know now (if we didn't already realize) things were not exactly all that great for him personally so give him a break on that. We may have thought wow this guys has money cars women what could possibly go wrong... Well. Empty room, empty room...

He didn't blow it. Look at all the love that people are pouring out for him... How absolutely devasted people are, casual fans I know are just sad right now and they probably haven't heard a tenth of what you or I have. He just didn't die as rich as he could have been. In the end all that money is left behind and someone else is going to profit but you'll have access to it all. So why does it matter how hard it was in the past?
Surprise, surprise.
Another treat. Another trick.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 05/06/16 9:21pm

RiotPaisley

irresistiblebitch666 said:

I always thought that blocking his music from multiple streaming services was a crock of shit. Nobody worth their salt with the common sense that god gave em is going to join Tidal. Tidal is not for the fans, its all about greed. If you truly love an artist, you will support them by going to a record shop and purchasing that person's albums. I listened to Prince's music on grooveshark and imeem and spotify and rhapsody and that was before and after I went out and brought his albums. Prince was never going to be soup kitchen poor if he let his music be on youtube or itunes but that was how he made it seem. Prince had an extensive catalog of music and he was still receiving residual checks from PR/UTCM/GB and I am fairly certain that the man was getting a percentage of the royalties from his proteges albums so definitely was not going to end up in the poor house. I respect Prince as a musician and I think he was a musical genius but the way he treated his fans was nuts. When Prince blocked his music from being on youtube, he lost the opportunity to gain new fans and followers. The kids today dont know who Prince is because he never let them find out and the only reason they are hearing about him now is cause the man has went on to glory. If Prince was so obsessed with people not ripping off his music, why not start a reasonable streaming service? Oh wait that would mean he couldnt make a profit. A multimillionaire with 10 trillion ways of revenue bitches about not making more money and I am supposed to symphatize with it? Um 1-800-hell-to-the-no. Its a toll free number that can be dialed at any time. Prince was the pioneer for so many things that were internet related but he blew it with the fans by being a bully. No other entertainer is as psycho as Prince was about youtube and streaming services. Most artists know that their fans will buy records even after listening to an album on rhapsody or seeing a music video on youtube. Hell, music videos on youtube are promos basically for an album. I know we are supposed to be grieving but lets just admit that Prince was a terrible businessman.




These "kids" don't even know who David Bowie was. And people my age scoff at me for "actually paying" for music? Haven't you heard of napster? Or insert whatever music site you want.

If he treated his fans so poorly, why are you here still? You like the abuse?

You're right, poor business man he most likely was. And I only say most likely because his estate is up in the air. He may very well have something worked out and we just don't know yet till the death cert is final. He was paranoid to a crippling degree about getting ripped off from money men. Remember the interlude on Diamonds and Pearls? But Trust, who do ya?

Don't hold onto that victim fan business anymore. It's over. Forgive him for that and wait. I believe he will reward those of us who stuck by him. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong but still being salty about love4oneanother or anything else won't do you any good.
Surprise, surprise.
Another treat. Another trick.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 05/06/16 9:33pm

purplesweat

Yep. I became a fan back in 2006 and it was so difficult to locate his material. He should've been more understanding that younger fans can't really access songs unless they're on the net. What with wrecka stows closing and CD players becoming relics, it really limited people from discovering his work. I only really got introduced to him through his award show performances between 04 and 06. In the end, I had to get other fans to send me burned copies of his CDs, there was just no other way to access anything. Which sucks because his b-sides are incredible and worth hearing!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 05/06/16 9:42pm

pyramidseye

avatar

My 15-year old son does not know who Prince is. He says he has no idea of his music. The first place he goes when he wants to listen to some song is YouTube, and Prince wasn't there.

Prince's quarrel with WB was a sign that more trouble was to come and it did. You can't get rich all by yourself. You need partners. He had great talent but he couldn't make the most out of it financially. $150-300 mio is nothing for a world star with decades of musical career. That's only a fraction of what Madonna owns.

He was an emotional artist but not a rational businessman. When he appeared on Larry King on CNN, he had no idea that CNN belonged to WB. Can you believe that? Most artists don't give their music away with newspapers, simply because it is not the best way to make money. He fought the corporations by losing his own money opportunities and the corporations did not care a bit. Business is as usual and Prince had no impact on it.
"Cuz I've seen the top and it's just a dream"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 6 123456>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince Did Blow It By Being So Difficult With Fans