independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 22nd Dec 2014 7:32am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > U Will Be With Me (Duet demo)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #120 posted 01/26/13 8:26pm

free0001

Andy saw this gem in "the vault', brushed off the dust and cobwebs, and convinced P to give this gift to those of us who dig it.

[The preceding story was fictionalized for dramatic purposes]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #121 posted 01/26/13 8:48pm

frenchylatina

avatar

Haven't heard a ballad from prince in a while that is so good...also its like as if it belongs between late 80s-early 90s

it sounds like the instruments were pre-recorded and the vocals are live

Don't need no reefer, don't need cocaine..Purple music does the same 2 my brain
..and I'm high
music cloud9
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #122 posted 01/27/13 2:42am

teiemka

Agreed post #111

[Edited 1/27/13 2:47am]

Prince is a musician not a lifestyle.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #123 posted 01/27/13 2:59am

SometimesIwond
er

I've tried to listen carefully as I can & these are the lyrics I can make out. It's not dissimilar to the version he sang in 2011 in Hungary.

Actually, I can imagine holding a tiny infant in your arms & lulling them to sleep with this tune!! It's so peaceful & beautiful! I just played it getting my 2 little ones dressed & they were both silent, cuddling in2 me! Fair calmed them down! smile


I know they love u,
I think thats cool..
Im doing time in the back of the line
I dont mind playing the fool.
Today I'm much better
Cuz they heard me pray (yes they did)
We will b together, Angel told me today..
What u say?

U will b, u will b, u will b with me.


Hear u talking but what can u do
many man wanta walk that path
wearing a pair of (crooked/courting?) shoes.
U cannot b used 2 this & I know ur smart,
A wish is just a wish, unless its a work it art.

U will b...

Taste of u with someone else,
Like chocolate cake with no milk
But u & I in a brand new bed, purple sheets of silk.
We come & go 2gether,
Just like the sun & the moon. When ur star is rising, I will b 2.

I know they scold/school? u (sometimes)
No doubt it's true
A thousand books couldn't teach the things that I wanta do with u
Ur right, I ain't new 2 this & I know ur smart,
Got 2 find u first?,
I know I'll b ready when u r


U will B...

The world keeps calling, what can I do?
They want what they want,
But baby, baby I want you
I know they claim u, but I do 2
Maybe not 2nite, maybe not 2morrow, but one day this will b true


I see this as a love sing for & between AA & Prince cuz he started singing it just after he met AA at the LA shows, didn't he? And he sang it for it her during the European show as well. twocents
[Edited 1/27/13 3:35am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #124 posted 01/27/13 5:00am

kinskie

avatar

The777Man said:

Beautiful, beautiful song!

LOVE IT.

I hope it's on Prince's new album.....

The777Man

same here yes

"But I've awakened 2 the reality that sometimes is not enough"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #125 posted 01/27/13 7:00am

triplethreat

SometimesIwonder said:

I've tried to listen carefully as I can & these are the lyrics I can make out. It's not dissimilar to the version he sang in 2011 in Hungary. Actually, I can imagine holding a tiny infant in your arms & lulling them to sleep with this tune!! It's so peaceful & beautiful! I just played it getting my 2 little ones dressed & they were both silent, cuddling in2 me! Fair calmed them down! smile I know they love u, I think thats cool.. Im doing time in the back of the line I dont mind playing the fool. Today I'm much better Cuz they heard me pray (yes they did) We will b together, Angel told me today.. What u say? U will b, u will b, u will b with me. Hear u talking but what can u do many man wanta walk that path wearing a pair of (crooked/courting?) shoes. U cannot b used 2 this & I know ur smart, A wish is just a wish, unless its a work it art. U will b... Taste of u with someone else, Like chocolate cake with no milk But u & I in a brand new bed, purple sheets of silk. We come & go 2gether, Just like the sun & the moon. When ur star is rising, I will b 2. I know they scold/school? u (sometimes) No doubt it's true A thousand books couldn't teach the things that I wanta do with u Ur right, I ain't new 2 this & I know ur smart, Got 2 find u first?, I know I'll b ready when u r U will B... The world keeps calling, what can I do? They want what they want, But baby, baby I want you I know they claim u, but I do 2 Maybe not 2nite, maybe not 2morrow, but one day this will b true I see this as a love sing for & between AA & Prince cuz he started singing it just after he met AA at the LA shows, didn't he? And he sang it for it her during the European show as well. twocents [Edited 1/27/13 3:35am]

i think it was originally intended 4 misty copeland who opened up the la shows with him on george lopez & who he escorted to the abt gala in ny 2wards the end of the la shows. but then andy came into the picture & i think he may have adapted it 4 her. poor bria who had 2 sit & wait while prince was chasing after misty,andy etc:)

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #126 posted 01/27/13 8:17am

SpiritOtter

The BIG question on my mind...

Given how strong a song it appears to be (lyrics, vocal harmonies, melody, simplicity, depth), should Prince release this song to the mainstream or simply keep it as a one-off obscure demo for this hardcore fans?

love,

Spirit

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #127 posted 01/27/13 9:26am

dannyd5050

avatar

SpiritOtter said:

The BIG question on my mind...

Given how strong a song it appears to be (lyrics, vocal harmonies, melody, simplicity, depth), should Prince release this song to the mainstream or simply keep it as a one-off obscure demo for this hardcore fans?

love,

Spirit

Release it!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #128 posted 01/27/13 9:27am

errant

avatar

triplethreat said:

SometimesIwonder said:

I've tried to listen carefully as I can & these are the lyrics I can make out. It's not dissimilar to the version he sang in 2011 in Hungary. Actually, I can imagine holding a tiny infant in your arms & lulling them to sleep with this tune!! It's so peaceful & beautiful! I just played it getting my 2 little ones dressed & they were both silent, cuddling in2 me! Fair calmed them down! smile I know they love u, I think thats cool.. Im doing time in the back of the line I dont mind playing the fool. Today I'm much better Cuz they heard me pray (yes they did) We will b together, Angel told me today.. What u say? U will b, u will b, u will b with me. Hear u talking but what can u do many man wanta walk that path wearing a pair of (crooked/courting?) shoes. U cannot b used 2 this & I know ur smart, A wish is just a wish, unless its a work it art. U will b... Taste of u with someone else, Like chocolate cake with no milk But u & I in a brand new bed, purple sheets of silk. We come & go 2gether, Just like the sun & the moon. When ur star is rising, I will b 2. I know they scold/school? u (sometimes) No doubt it's true A thousand books couldn't teach the things that I wanta do with u Ur right, I ain't new 2 this & I know ur smart, Got 2 find u first?, I know I'll b ready when u r U will B... The world keeps calling, what can I do? They want what they want, But baby, baby I want you I know they claim u, but I do 2 Maybe not 2nite, maybe not 2morrow, but one day this will b true I see this as a love sing for & between AA & Prince cuz he started singing it just after he met AA at the LA shows, didn't he? And he sang it for it her during the European show as well. twocents [Edited 1/27/13 3:35am]

i think it was originally intended 4 misty copeland who opened up the la shows with him on george lopez & who he escorted to the abt gala in ny 2wards the end of the la shows. but then andy came into the picture & i think he may have adapted it 4 her. poor bria who had 2 sit & wait while prince was chasing after misty,andy etc:)

the ballerina? does she sing?

"does my cock look fat in these jeans?"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #129 posted 01/27/13 9:52am

peri1025

errant said:

triplethreat said:

i think it was originally intended 4 misty copeland who opened up the la shows with him on george lopez & who he escorted to the abt gala in ny 2wards the end of the la shows. but then andy came into the picture & i think he may have adapted it 4 her. poor bria who had 2 sit & wait while prince was chasing after misty,andy etc:)

the ballerina? does she sing?

no misty doesn't sing and yes she's the ballerina. the story i heard was that he liked her/casually dated her but around the time of the forum shows she got a new boyfriend. andy came into the picture in april 2011 so he was probably seeing both of them around that time or maybe the andy thing didn't fully start until they went on tour. it seems like him and misty are still are good terms though as she posts pics of them performing and he via 3rdeyegirl linked to an article about her calendar

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #130 posted 01/27/13 10:27am

tatocorcu

dannyd5050 said:



SpiritOtter said:


The BIG question on my mind...



Given how strong a song it appears to be (lyrics, vocal harmonies, melody, simplicity, depth), should Prince release this song to the mainstream or simply keep it as a one-off obscure demo for this hardcore fans?



love,


Spirit





Release it!


I would say promote screwdriver to the limit (as I think it could do quite well) and follow it up with this. Regardless of anything he chooses to do, this song is beautiful...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #131 posted 01/27/13 1:00pm

Brendan

avatar

tatocorcu said:

dannyd5050 said:



SpiritOtter said:


The BIG question on my mind...



Given how strong a song it appears to be (lyrics, vocal harmonies, melody, simplicity, depth), should Prince release this song to the mainstream or simply keep it as a one-off obscure demo for this hardcore fans?



love,


Spirit





Release it!


I would say promote screwdriver to the limit (as I think it could do quite well) and follow it up with this. Regardless of anything he chooses to do, this song is beautiful...

I totally agree.

In theory it would seem to me that these two songs, and he certainly may have others, can become the the way to "monetize" in an ever-changing world in which Prince has already tried and burned more than most.

I could be wrong, most will probably freely tell you that I often am, but "U Will B" sounds like the type of monumental force that can supersede all the politics and exceptions that countless threads -- and the song "Don't Play Me" -- have already echoed ad infinitum.

On a higher level (not a musical sound-alike level), to me it conjures up images of "Nothing Compares 2 U" and "I will" (though I humbly feel it's far more successful at doing so than this one). And on some communal level that speaks to the potential for the rapturous change in us all, even "Purple Rain".

Sometimes, as with "Kiss", even though you of course love all your children the same, you at some point realize that a certain partially unidentifiable magic has been released which you have little control over that makes you grab it back, tailor a suit for it and send it off to boarding school.

Here's hoping for a graduation party.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #132 posted 01/27/13 1:06pm

ganesh

avatar

This song is realy really cool, I truely enjoy it

I wonder when was it written?

We make our own way to heaven everyday
"The only Love there is, is the Love we make"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #133 posted 01/27/13 2:24pm

MadamGoodnight

Heard this one in LA, and like that version. wink

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #134 posted 01/27/13 10:41pm

leerix

JOYJOY said:

Thanks for all the suggestions the lyrics make more sense now!!

Some more suggestions (though I could be wrong):


Lyrics?

Stay in touch forever,
They heard me pray (yes they did)
We will b together, Angel told me today..
What u say?

What she said? ------ talking 'bout the Angel


U Will B, U Will B, U Will B With Me...
............


U know its cool u

I know they school u ----"school" referring to next line "a thousand books..."
(theres no time)
And no doubt its true
(oh ooh oh ooh)
A thousands books couldnt teach the [thayangs(things)] that i wana do with u

Thank you for your work on the lyrics!!

[Edited 1/28/13 0:22am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #135 posted 01/27/13 11:21pm

digitalelectri
c

avatar

I hate to say it, but it sounds vaguely like a PR-era track. I said vaguely.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #136 posted 01/28/13 12:33am

blueautumn

avatar

Brendan said:

Perhaps this is one of those ridiculously high highs, or perhaps I'm just another sucker lost in the corner booth of some small club quietly reflecting upon my own imagination.

Well Said! Couldn't agree more and it has that same feeling.

..."holding someone is truly believing"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #137 posted 01/28/13 4:48am

thedance

avatar

I don't like this song, not feeling it.

boxed

Let 2015 be purple:

I can't wait for the remaster! heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #138 posted 01/28/13 8:24am

leerix

http://prince.org/msg/7/358562

Previous thread about the lyrics in the first live version.

Why isn't this in the front page? Seeing how well it's been received I hope it reaches all the fanbase (and beyond!)

Whoever the source of inspiration for this song might be, I hope he has written more songs for her we can hear soon.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #139 posted 01/28/13 9:13am

LiLi1992

avatar

it's nice song, but I want to hear the final version to make my final conclusions.


yet I am interested, but not impressed.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #140 posted 01/28/13 11:06am

2020

avatar

It's a great song and I cannot wait for it to be released
Art Official Age: The Musical
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #141 posted 01/29/13 2:46am

TheEnglishGent

xpertluva said:

ludwig said:

U got the look

Manic Monday (with Apollonia)

U're still the one (with Marva King)

plus a lot of females in the background of many songs

[Edited 1/26/13 8:44am]

U Make My Sunshine

Another one just came up on shuffle...

For Lust.

12 years with this account. Might be time to get an avatar.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #142 posted 01/29/13 6:06am

NouveauDance

avatar

I'm kind of baffled by the impressions of this song. For a start it sounds like it's recorded down a piece of string through a tincan, and secondly it sounds unremarkably dull. Maybe if I heard it in decent quality, but the general mood and style isn't really doing it for me.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #143 posted 01/29/13 7:29am

IstenSzek

avatar

NouveauDance said:

I'm kind of baffled by the impressions of this song. For a start it sounds like it's recorded down a piece of string through a tincan, and secondly it sounds unremarkably dull. Maybe if I heard it in decent quality, but the general mood and style isn't really doing it for me.

i think a lot of it's appeal, for me personally, comes from the fact that is has

a very nice, simple and clean melody.

i can see how some people would find it a bit dull or think that it goes on for

too long.

but that's exactly what i like about it lol those drum rolls every so often

or those little detours from the repetition in the melody, like the:

"maybe not tonight, maybe not tomorrow..."

those keep me on my toes, make me ears prick up.

some of the charm of the bad quality is no doubt simply an unconscious

thing since we've all had bootlegs of outtakes that sound equally bad as

far as sound is concerned.

many of those songs we've loved for decades, since we were adolescent.

they were magical back then: unknown prince tracks that you dug out in

a recordstore and prized at home, over and over again.

and somehow i know that my mind makes a link to those days whenever

i listen to this song because it sounds just like one of those early boots.

it will be interesting to see how much i like it if a clean version is released.

and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #144 posted 01/29/13 7:55am

1725topp

This "demo" is nice; I like it, but not nearly as much as the live version, which is a bit more soulful and has more edge, but that just may be because Prince seems to add that "edge" to his live performances. This demo is a bit more whimsical as compared to the live version that has more grit and soul. Again, I like this, and it is a nice compliment to "Screwdriver" and "Chapter & Verse," but I just like the greens, cornbread, peas, and fried chicken flavor of the live version more.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #145 posted 01/29/13 9:27am

dJJ

1725topp said:

This "demo" is nice; I like it, but not nearly as much as the live version, which is a bit more soulful and has more edge, but that just may be because Prince seems to add that "edge" to his live performances. This demo is a bit more whimsical as compared to the live version that has more grit and soul. Again, I like this, and it is a nice compliment to "Screwdriver" and "Chapter & Verse," but I just like the greens, cornbread, peas, and fried chicken flavor of the live version more.

I like it.

Don't know the live version.

I expect to agree with you, because I preferred Screwdriver wild and live. The caged studio version was good, but not as great as the live one.

99% of my posts are ironic. Maybe this post sides with the other 1%.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #146 posted 01/29/13 10:52am

HonestMan13

avatar

IstenSzek said:

NouveauDance said:

I'm kind of baffled by the impressions of this song. For a start it sounds like it's recorded down a piece of string through a tincan, and secondly it sounds unremarkably dull. Maybe if I heard it in decent quality, but the general mood and style isn't really doing it for me.

i think a lot of it's appeal, for me personally, comes from the fact that is has

a very nice, simple and clean melody.

i can see how some people would find it a bit dull or think that it goes on for

too long.

but that's exactly what i like about it lol those drum rolls every so often

or those little detours from the repetition in the melody, like the:

"maybe not tonight, maybe not tomorrow..."

those keep me on my toes, make me ears prick up.

some of the charm of the bad quality is no doubt simply an unconscious

thing since we've all had bootlegs of outtakes that sound equally bad as

far as sound is concerned.

many of those songs we've loved for decades, since we were adolescent.

they were magical back then: unknown prince tracks that you dug out in

a recordstore and prized at home, over and over again.

and somehow i know that my mind makes a link to those days whenever

i listen to this song because it sounds just like one of those early boots.

it will be interesting to see how much i like it if a clean version is released.

yeahthat

Back in the Controversy/1999 era the average album cut came in at over 6 minutes now it seems a majority want every Prince track to be 3 to 4 minutes. 6 minutes isn't too long. 45 minutes is too long(Billy's Sunglasses anyone) heck even the I Would Die 4 U version at 26 minutes just seemed to keep rambling on after a point. Point is Prince seems to have cut his track time down considerably of late. Also the sound quality is fine for a demo. Nowadays people are griping about the sound quality of a bootleg as if everything we find is supposed to be a studio cut album ready track. There are plenty of crappy sounding bootlegs that are gems. Lose a little of the tech saavy spoilings we've grown used to and feel the music.

When eye go 2 a Prince concert or related event it's all heart up in the house but when eye log onto this site and the miasma of bitchiness is completely overwhelming!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #147 posted 01/29/13 2:10pm

KCOOLMUZIQ

avatar


The song's lyrics, have been performed live by Prince since May 5th, 2011, performed over the music of The Question Of U (along with lyrics from The One) and more commonly over the music of Shhh.

princes like a "ACT OF GOD" N another realm.Of all people who might b aliens,angels.if found out prince wasn't of this earth, eye would not b surprised,"What's happening now is the position eye always wanted 2b N, eye was just tryin 2 get here" Says prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #148 posted 01/31/13 3:21pm

jgreco7

avatar

This could b a huge hit if he/they record it right in the studio, and then release it in any form.

I keep going back 2 playing it, especially the last minute or so music

got Prince?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #149 posted 01/31/13 7:29pm

kewlschool

avatar

dJJ said:

1725topp said:

This "demo" is nice; I like it, but not nearly as much as the live version, which is a bit more soulful and has more edge, but that just may be because Prince seems to add that "edge" to his live performances. This demo is a bit more whimsical as compared to the live version that has more grit and soul. Again, I like this, and it is a nice compliment to "Screwdriver" and "Chapter & Verse," but I just like the greens, cornbread, peas, and fried chicken flavor of the live version more.

I like it.

Don't know the live version.

I expect to agree with you, because I preferred Screwdriver wild and live. The caged studio version was good, but not as great as the live one.

I heard a portion of the song in concert. I like the concert version.

99.9% of everything I say is strictly for my own entertainment
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > U Will Be With Me (Duet demo)