independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 23rd Apr 2019 11:30pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Work That Fat
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 10/21/11 10:41am

ben070785

Work That Fat

Why did he make songs like that one? Sometimes I think they are funny, but then I just don't get how he can waste his talent on those jams... Whats your opinion?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 10/21/11 11:06am

powersoul99

I find it funny.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 10/21/11 11:30am

bobbyperu

Me too. Prince is in the studio, wants to do something, so he jams around with the first crazy idea that comes to his mind, just for fun. It's not a waste of talent, just an exe biggrin rcise.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 10/21/11 12:56pm

Emancipation89

yeahthat I love this song lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 10/21/11 1:11pm

NewYorkMike

avatar

He's just having fun. Fuck, don't take yourself too seriously. Christ.

NewYorkMike = Bria Valente

The Org is trying to censor me.

Beyonce ain't got shit on me.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 10/21/11 1:13pm

jonylawson

what a prick prince is

doesnt he know he HAS TO BE SERIOUS ALL THE TIME

The studio is NOT FOR FUN

doesnt he know we have an image in our heads of him?

thats like allowing messi to play beach football or have a laugh with a hackey sack

ITS NOT ALLOWED

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 10/21/11 5:35pm

HonestMan13

avatar

Sometimes in the studio they play around. I have the Revolution jamming and making fun of Stevie nicks on a CD during a rehearsal, implying she sounded like a sheep! (Stand Baaaacccckkkk) It's hilarious. Work That Fat was them funking around over the Martika track!

When eye go 2 a Prince concert or related event it's all heart up in the house but when eye log onto this site and the miasma of bitchiness is completely overwhelming!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 10/21/11 5:55pm

jonylawson

HonestMan13 said:

Sometimes in the studio they play around. I have the Revolution jamming and making fun of Stevie nicks on a CD during a rehearsal, implying she sounded like a sheep! (Stand Baaaacccckkkk) It's hilarious. Work That Fat was them funking around over the Martika track!

why would you call beyonce a "bitch" ?

dont you like women?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 10/21/11 5:58pm

uuhson

avatar

jonylawson said:

HonestMan13 said:

Sometimes in the studio they play around. I have the Revolution jamming and making fun of Stevie nicks on a CD during a rehearsal, implying she sounded like a sheep! (Stand Baaaacccckkkk) It's hilarious. Work That Fat was them funking around over the Martika track!

why would you call beyonce a "bitch" ?

dont you like women?


is beyonce the embodiment of all femininity or something?

Bogey and Bacall, peanut butter and jelly, Wall being on fucking point, is "classic" dipshit. An iphone is top shelf technology. Get it straight. This thing is 4g. -Wall the great
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 10/21/11 6:32pm

imago

It's not even Nickelodian humor funny.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 10/21/11 7:50pm

HonestMan13

avatar

uuhson said:

jonylawson said:

why would you call beyonce a "bitch" ?

dont you like women?


is beyonce the embodiment of all femininity or something?

falloff

I wasn't aware people really paid too much attention to the signatures. I just put this one up like 2 hours ago and already it's getting feedback! Who Runs The Org!!! Honestman13.

When eye go 2 a Prince concert or related event it's all heart up in the house but when eye log onto this site and the miasma of bitchiness is completely overwhelming!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 10/22/11 12:22am

kenkamken

avatar

'Cuz when she sit down she sit all around... Damn she ate the wrapper too... Or is it rapper? Silly song, but it's got flow. It's probably wrong to make fun of fatness, but he used to wear that Rude Boy pin proudly
[Edited 10/22/11 0:23am]
"So fierce U look 2night, the brightest star pales 2 Ur sex..."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 10/22/11 1:54am

bobbyperu

As for that Beyonce statement, I can think of a lot of politicians I'd like to give the same treatment! lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 10/22/11 4:08pm

mashedpotato

avatar

HonestMan13 said:

Sometimes in the studio they play around. I have the Revolution jamming and making fun of Stevie nicks on a CD during a rehearsal, implying she sounded like a sheep! (Stand Baaaacccckkkk) It's hilarious. Work That Fat was them funking around over the Martika track!

Which Martika track Honestman?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 10/22/11 5:22pm

HonestMan13

avatar

mashedpotato said:

HonestMan13 said:

Sometimes in the studio they play around. I have the Revolution jamming and making fun of Stevie nicks on a CD during a rehearsal, implying she sounded like a sheep! (Stand Baaaacccckkkk) It's hilarious. Work That Fat was them funking around over the Martika track!

Which Martika track Honestman?

It's the same music for Martika's Kitchen. It was the title track for her CD which had 4 Prince tracks on it(Martika's Kitchen, Spirit, Love Thy Will Be Done & Don't Say U Love Me). All of Prince's versions are circulatiing as bootlegs.

When eye go 2 a Prince concert or related event it's all heart up in the house but when eye log onto this site and the miasma of bitchiness is completely overwhelming!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 10/22/11 5:48pm

Chiquetet

avatar

ben070785 said:

Why did he make songs like that one? Sometimes I think they are funny, but then I just don't get how he can waste his talent on those jams... Whats your opinion?

It's an unreleased track.

Imagine if someone went through your hard drive without you knowing and released anything - images, documents, whatever - something that you did for fun that you never intended submitting for anything.

Then you have people frowning and commenting that they can't understand how you can waste your talent on that stuff.

I'm sure there's tons of funky junk in the vault.

All part of the process.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 10/22/11 7:09pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 10/22/11 8:34pm

xVioletVixenx

Chiquetet said:

ben070785 said:

Why did he make songs like that one? Sometimes I think they are funny, but then I just don't get how he can waste his talent on those jams... Whats your opinion?

It's an unreleased track.

Imagine if someone went through your hard drive without you knowing and released anything - images, documents, whatever - something that you did for fun that you never intended submitting for anything.

Then you have people frowning and commenting that they can't understand how you can waste your talent on that stuff.

I'm sure there's tons of funky junk in the vault.

All part of the process.

@Chiquetet True,true~ I totally agree. I honestly like the song because it makes me laugh. I mean, it's not like he is wasting talent, it's just that he wanted to make a funny song razz It's actually showing his sense of humour smile There is nothing wrong with that.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 10/23/11 12:27pm

Riverman37

I have noticed on more then one occation throughout his career (certain songs, certain live performances) that Prince tends to make fun of 'obese' people. Not a nice trait IMO, a bit childish also. Might it have something do with him being so frail himself?

And I wonder what a certain drummer and and certain background singer in his band in the early nineties thought about it....

[Edited 10/23/11 12:28pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 10/23/11 1:55pm

HonestMan13

avatar

Riverman37 said:

I have noticed on more then one occation throughout his career (certain songs, certain live performances) that Prince tends to make fun of 'obese' people. Not a nice trait IMO, a bit childish also. Might it have something do with him being so frail himself?

And I wonder what a certain drummer and and certain background singer in his band in the early nineties thought about it....

[Edited 10/23/11 12:28pm]

When he's referring to "fat" he means "ass" not obese per se.

When eye go 2 a Prince concert or related event it's all heart up in the house but when eye log onto this site and the miasma of bitchiness is completely overwhelming!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 10/23/11 2:30pm

Riverman37

Nonsense.

Did you see the Vegas DVD?: he is calling people on stage 'who need the excersise' and he is laughing out some fat bloke getting unto stage after that.

I am not defending overly obese people in here, but i just notice that Prince often likes to take the piss of people who are overweight, it has happened throughout his career.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 10/23/11 3:01pm

Chiquetet

avatar

I realise I may be looking at this one through purple-coloured glasses, but I've always taken his fat-jibes to be more playful than nasty.

Even in this song, he seems to be really rude, yet at the same time is saying that he wants a fat girl, doesn't want a skinny girl, etc...

From his perspective, it's just teasing about someone's size - something he's put up with his whole life.

Are we all being really mean and hurtful if we make reference to his height or frame? Most people would say no, they're just playing. I'm sure that he would argue it works the other way around as well.

Regarding the Aladdin show, it may have sounded offensive to get people up on stage "who need the exercise", but plenty took the opportunity - from the other perspective, he deliberately got people up on stage that might otherwise feel self-conscious under the spotlight. Granted, perhaps there was a more subtle way of wording it, but then, maybe not? Whichever way he worded it, it was likely to be criticised.

We know that he can be mean and there have been plenty of stories from the past, but I really don't think he's got a particular issue with overweight folk, I just think that it's "learnt behaviour" - everyone makes fun of his size and claims that it's just affectionate teasing, so why on earth wouldn't he do the same?

I think "Gett Off" is surely the most obvious evidence of his appreciation for a proud, full-figured woman which, incidently, was recorded at around the same time this track was assumed to have been penned.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 10/23/11 7:52pm

CerpinTaxt

avatar

Because I had to look it up:

Yo, yo - where all the fat girls at?
Get on the dance floor, baby
And let me work that fat (Woo!)

Yeah, let me work that fat
Yeah!

That's how we like 'em - fat and proud
Cuz when they sit down, they sit all around
The whole house - sidewalk and everything else
I'll be damned, baby, if U don't sit on yourself
But that's what I like U 4
(Let me work that fat) {x2}
And take U 2 the crib - I swear 2 God U got stuck in the door
Say U didn't, U know U did
Opened up the ice box, ate everything in the crib
Midnight snack, my ass!
Bought 7 packs of cookies, thinking they would last
I'll be damned, baby ate the wrapper 2!
Then looked at me and said, "Nigga, I'll eat U, 2!"

(Let me work that fat) {x2}
But I guess 4 now that'll do
My baby's fat - I like her like that
I hate a skinny skench talking straight out her hat
About a credit card, and how I need 2 give her mine
I swear 2 God I'll step on that neck every time!
(Let me work that fat)

I'd rather hang out with my boys and cruise Plymouth
Lookin' 4 a fat girl toy so I can make a play
And take her 2 the way
And introduce her 2 my brother Sonny T's bass

Or maybe my guitar
I'll play so loud she'll quickly get her big ass in the car
Get in, shut up, get in!
Push the seat back - U can fit
Then sit on top of the monster, I don't care!
Just shut up, get in!
(Let me work that fat) {x2}
What? What?
Oh! {x3}
U in trouble now!
Mike, turn this shit up!
Aw yeah!

(Let me work that fat) {x2}

Told U U should...
Shut up! Sit down!
Got sho'nuff plenty nerve
(What, what?)
(Let me work that fat) {x2}

Ha ha ha...
Damn, is this where U live?
How many food stamps did U have 2 give 2 get this palace?
Yeah, this is really nice
I betcha my thigh ain't as big as one of these mice
What kind of traps U use?
I know they don't work
Mice take the cheese and say, "D-d-damn, what a jerk!"

U must be nuts - think I'm go'n sleep here
Quiet as it's kept
There's several things 2 fear in this habitat
Let me guess, let me guess
"U like it like that" {x2}
So nobody'll rob ya

Well, as a matter of fact who is this brother?
What's he doing in your bed?
Wake up, brother, 'fore I take this new 9 and tap U on your head!
No no, she's my girl - every last mile
Now I suggest U start explaining
Before I slap that smile in the living room
U got a lotta nerve
Why don't U get your clothes
And introduce your silly ass 2 the curb?
Damn, I shoulda known
Treat a lady wrong, she'll do U the same
Can I use your phone?
I wanna call Mike
Mike, gimme another solo
I'm through with these fat girls

They know they fine
They pop U out every time
Know what, U know what?
If I see your boyfriend outside
I'm go'n hit him with the car
That's right
Oh!
Fat girls
Let me work that fat

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 10/23/11 8:36pm

rdhull

avatar

Riverman37 said:

I have noticed on more then one occation throughout his career (certain songs, certain live performances) that Prince tends to make fun of 'obese' people. Not a nice trait IMO, a bit childish also. Might it have something do with him being so frail himself?

And I wonder what a certain drummer and and certain background singer in his band in the early nineties thought about it....

[Edited 10/23/11 12:28pm]

What with your recent history of racist comments lately, you really need to stfu.

sitting like a princess perched in her electric chair
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 10/23/11 8:38pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

rdhull said:

Riverman37 said:

I have noticed on more then one occation throughout his career (certain songs, certain live performances) that Prince tends to make fun of 'obese' people. Not a nice trait IMO, a bit childish also. Might it have something do with him being so frail himself?

And I wonder what a certain drummer and and certain background singer in his band in the early nineties thought about it....

[Edited 10/23/11 12:28pm]

What with your recent history of racist comments lately, you really need to stfu.

Yeah, what's up with that...

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 10/27/11 7:33am

xVioletVixenx

purplethunder3121 said:

rdhull said:

What with your recent history of racist comments lately, you really need to stfu.

Yeah, what's up with that...

damn... sad racist comments? Not cool, man...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 11/15/11 9:03pm

Whatsinit4me

CerpinTaxt said:

Because I had to look it up:

Yo, yo - where all the fat girls at?
Get on the dance floor, baby
And let me work that fat (Woo!)

Yeah, let me work that fat
Yeah!

That's how we like 'em - fat and proud
Cuz when they sit down, they sit all around
The whole house - sidewalk and everything else
I'll be damned, baby, if U don't sit on yourself
But that's what I like U 4
(Let me work that fat) {x2}
And take U 2 the crib - I swear 2 God U got stuck in the door
Say U didn't, U know U did
Opened up the ice box, ate everything in the crib
Midnight snack, my ass!
Bought 7 packs of cookies, thinking they would last
I'll be damned, baby ate the wrapper 2!
Then looked at me and said, "Nigga, I'll eat U, 2!"

(Let me work that fat) {x2}
But I guess 4 now that'll do
My baby's fat - I like her like that
I hate a skinny skench talking straight out her hat
About a credit card, and how I need 2 give her mine
I swear 2 God I'll step on that neck every time!
(Let me work that fat)

I'd rather hang out with my boys and cruise Plymouth
Lookin' 4 a fat girl toy so I can make a play
And take her 2 the way
And introduce her 2 my brother Sonny T's bass

Or maybe my guitar
I'll play so loud she'll quickly get her big ass in the car
Get in, shut up, get in!
Push the seat back - U can fit
Then sit on top of the monster, I don't care!
Just shut up, get in!
(Let me work that fat) {x2}
What? What?
Oh! {x3}
U in trouble now!
Mike, turn this shit up!
Aw yeah!

(Let me work that fat) {x2}

Told U U should...
Shut up! Sit down!
Got sho'nuff plenty nerve
(What, what?)
(Let me work that fat) {x2}

Ha ha ha...
Damn, is this where U live?
How many food stamps did U have 2 give 2 get this palace?
Yeah, this is really nice
I betcha my thigh ain't as big as one of these mice
What kind of traps U use?
I know they don't work
Mice take the cheese and say, "D-d-damn, what a jerk!"

U must be nuts - think I'm go'n sleep here
Quiet as it's kept
There's several things 2 fear in this habitat
Let me guess, let me guess
"U like it like that" {x2}
So nobody'll rob ya

Well, as a matter of fact who is this brother?
What's he doing in your bed?
Wake up, brother, 'fore I take this new 9 and tap U on your head!
No no, she's my girl - every last mile
Now I suggest U start explaining
Before I slap that smile in the living room
U got a lotta nerve
Why don't U get your clothes
And introduce your silly ass 2 the curb?
Damn, I shoulda known
Treat a lady wrong, she'll do U the same
Can I use your phone?
I wanna call Mike
Mike, gimme another solo
I'm through with these fat girls

They know they fine
They pop U out every time
Know what, U know what?
If I see your boyfriend outside
I'm go'n hit him with the car
That's right
Oh!
Fat girls
Let me work that fat

lol ...........tonk tonk tonk tonk tonk spank

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 11/16/11 3:37am

Dave1992

Riverman37 said:

Nonsense.

Did you see the Vegas DVD?: he is calling people on stage 'who need the excersise' and he is laughing out some fat bloke getting unto stage after that.

I am not defending overly obese people in here, but i just notice that Prince often likes to take the piss of people who are overweight, it has happened throughout his career.

He also made fun of himself with that "skinny motherfucker with the high voice" line.

Apart from that, he has every right to say that fat people need exercise.

They didn't have to go on-stage if they didn't want to show their fat asses now, did they? May sound a bit harsh, but when a person is fat, they simply are fat and there's absolutely no denying that. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 11/16/11 4:37am

Genesia

avatar

This song always comes up on my iPod when I'm working out. Bastard. neutral

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Work That Fat