independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 20th Sep 2017 4:02am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > COME May 30th 1993 configuration
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 4 1234>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 07/10/04 11:13am

scififilmnerd

avatar

COME May 30th 1993 configuration

On Tuesday June 1st 1993, Eileen of Controversy magazine received a letter by fax from Mayte – written with help from “Prince” and printed in Controversy #42.

The letter makes specific mention of new songs Come, Race, Pheromone, Dark, Dolphin and Pope and says: “The day before yesterday was the day he [Prince] played in sequence all the new music he’s recorded. All I can say is that it’s unlike any music he’s done before. All one word titles and strange.”

So obviously the Come album’s first configuration was made on Sunday 30th May 1993, and not on March 11th 1994 as stated by Uptown’s publications. (The second configuration of Come was made on March 11th 1994. razz )

In the letter, it further says: “Eye’m going 2 give it 2 my friends” and “music should be free – just like air.”

This probably means that Prince had absolutely no intention of the Come album being released by Warner Brothers. He’d rather give it away than have them earn money on his music. Or as it’s sung on Pope: Every time U want it I’ll B live, bring a date – I mean “computer”, when it’s over press “save”.

Prince was looking into alternative ways of getting the one-word titled songs out. He used most of them in the Glam Slam Ulysses production and played several of them live on Act II, probably well aware that this way the songs would be bootlegged – something he apparently saw as a preferable way of getting his music out than giving it to Warners.

So what was the Come ’93 configuration? If you look to the second and released configurations, the middle part remains constant with the beginning and end of the album undergoing changes. So let’s start with the beginning.

When on tour in 1993, Prince usually played Come, Endorphine Machine and Peach in succession, indicating that these were the three opening tracks of the album. And usually the first single off an album isn’t placed too far into it, so Peach most likely was the third track. Which also makes sense from a narrative point of view, if Peach is then followed by Space and Pheromone. Peach is about desire, Space is about stronger desire and Pheromone is about obsessive desire.

So that was the first three tracks and the constant mid-section, leaving the question of the closing tracks. Dolphin and Pope are also mentioned in the letter, and Dolphin is a natural following Solo.

But what about Poem and What’s My Name, which were included in the Glam Slam Ulysses production? Were they also included on the album? I say yes, because they are circulating segued together. And considering that Endorphine Machine did not become Endorphinmachine until 1994, and it’s the second track, then having What’s My Name as the second-to-last track on the album gives the track-list a symmetry that would be typical of Prince. (The only two non-one word-titled tracks placed at balancing ends.)

Interactive had yet to be recorded at the time of the sequencing. So in all likelihood, the first configuration of Come is as follows:

Come (4:29)
Endorphine Machine (3:50)
Peach (3:48)
Space (5:26)
Pheromone (4:24)
Loose (3:22)
Papa (2:48)
Race (4:01)
Dark (6:26)
Solo (3:48)
Dolphin (5:27)
Poem (3:36)
What’s My Name (3:03)
Pope (3:28)


It certainly sounds like a brilliant album from start to finish. biggrin

Following the release of Peach and Pope on The Hits Vol.2, and some re-recordings of some of the tracks later in 1993, Prince then revised the configuration on March 11th 1994:

Poem (3:36)
Interactive (3:06)
Endorphine Machine (3:50)
Space (4:30)
Pheromone (4:24)
Loose (3:27)
Papa (2:49)
Race (4:17)
Dark (6:08)
Solo (3:51)
Strays Of The World (5:07)

This configuration of Come was intended to be released by Warner Brothers as a companion to The Gold Experience, on which the Come album was advertised by the NPG Operator during Interactive – the opening track on both albums. Prince wanted to release The Gold Experience on his own, like he had done with The Beautiful Experience EP.

Poem’s new place as the opening track was an obvious dig at WB. In fact, the track woks on three levels – Prince pleasing his girl, Prince guiding the listener towards the opening track of the album and Prince teasing WB. As such, I think it’s quite brilliant. biggrin

When playing live in 1994, Prince now played Interactive, Endorphine Machine and Space in succession, indicating that he had indeed performed the opening tracks of the first configuration when he played Come, Endorphine Machine and Peach in 1993. He just changed the live set to match the changes on the album. wink

Besides Peach and Pope, Prince had also pulled Come and Dolphin from the Come album – probably because he figured they had hit potential and so didn’t want WB to have them. But he had yet to place Dolphin on the Gold album. nod

Even though reduced from 14 tracks to 11, I still think this is an outstanding album – brilliant from start to finish. biggrin

When WB nixed the idea of releasing Come and Gold simultaneously, Prince also pulled Interactive, Endorphin Machine and Strays Of The World from the album, replacing them with the sex-version of Come (just to bother WB, I’m sure) and Letitgo. And so, what had started out as a great rock/pop/funk album devolved into a rather ordinary R&B album. sad

Well, what do you all think? Is my guess at the first configuration right? Any better ideas? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone? Borisfishpaw? biggrin
[This message was edited Sat Jul 10 11:31:48 2004 by scififilmnerd]
rainbow woot! FREE THE 29 MAY 1993 COME CONFIGURATION! woot! rainbow
rainbow woot! FREE THE 1994 CHAOS AND DISORDER CONFIGURATION woot! rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 07/10/04 11:49am

Dazza

avatar

What's POEM like. Is it simply that...a poem?

I wish I had a good copy of the original version of Come - so much better
Green virgin teenager, or filthy rich yuppy. Pussy cat pussy cat, where for out thou puppy
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 07/10/04 12:21pm

IstenSzek

avatar

I love all this material
and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 07/10/04 12:46pm

BorisFishpaw

avatar

There were many configurations of Come in the time before it's eventual release.
Most of the first versions to be compiled had the opening three tracks as follows...
1. Come
2. Endorphin Machine
3. Space
These three tracks segued into each other, and you can still hear the remenants of the
segues in the released version of Endorphinmachine. The first 8 seconds (before the guitar riff
kicks in) are part of the segue out of the original version of 'Come' (which is why the key
changes down before the song starts), and the held synth note after the finale is actually the
intro to 'Space'.

The earliest version of 'Come' I've seen had the following sequence...

1. Come
2. Endorphin Machine
3. Space
4. Pheromone
5. Loose
6. Papa
7. Race
8. Dark
9. Dolphin
10. Poem

It's worth noting that the versions of 'Come', 'Loose' and 'Race' were quite different sounding
to the ones that finally surfaced. 'Come' was a shorter three and a half(ish) minute number
that had a similar pace and feel to 'Controversy', starting with fairly minimal backing and
gradually building up instruments over the course of the song, climaxing in a great organ
solo. 'Loose' was an all out rocker reminiscent of the faster guitar fuelled section of 'Batdance'
(quite different sounding to the 'techno' remix that was released). 'Race' had a slightly fuller
and funkier backbone, plus a different 20's-ish horn riff (reminded me of that 'doop' track
from the mid-nineties).

There were many other sequences around this time which expanded the album to include
tracks like 'Peach', 'Strays Of The World', 'Pope', 'What's My Name', 'Solo', 'Johnny', 'Shhh',
'Interactive', 'Zannalee' and 'The Ride' (Unfortunately, the exact sequence of a lot of these
incarnations are not known). By the end of 1993 Prince had recorded many more tracks
(a lot of which would surface on The Gold Experience and Crystal Ball), and for a while he
was seriously considering compiling a double or triple album of all this new material entitled
'The Dawn'. This idea was scrapped due to the strained relationship between Prince and WB,
as a) WB were not keen on releasing a triple album (or even a double), and b) it would've
only counted as 1 album towards Prince fulfilling his contract, so he decided to split the tracks
into 2 albums. The only surviving part of 'The Dawn' concept were all the 'NPG Operator'
segues on The Gold Experience.

There was even a version of 'Come' that included 2 versions of the title track. It opened
with the shorter faster unreleased version and closed with the then newly recorded 'album'
version (which segued into an uncredited 'Strays Of The World').
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 07/10/04 12:52pm

ELBOOGY

scififilmnerd said:

On Tuesday June 1st 1993, Eileen of Controversy magazine received a letter by fax from Mayte – written with help from “Prince” and printed in Controversy #42.

The letter makes specific mention of new songs Come, Race, Pheromone, Dark, Dolphin and Pope and says: “The day before yesterday was the day he [Prince] played in sequence all the new music he’s recorded. All I can say is that it’s unlike any music he’s done before. All one word titles and strange.”

So obviously the Come album’s first configuration was made on Sunday 30th May 1993, and not on March 11th 1994 as stated by Uptown’s publications. (The second configuration of Come was made on March 11th 1994. razz )

In the letter, it further says: “Eye’m going 2 give it 2 my friends” and “music should be free – just like air.”

This probably means that Prince had absolutely no intention of the Come album being released by Warner Brothers. He’d rather give it away than have them earn money on his music. Or as it’s sung on Pope: Every time U want it I’ll B live, bring a date – I mean “computer”, when it’s over press “save”.

Prince was looking into alternative ways of getting the one-word titled songs out. He used most of them in the Glam Slam Ulysses production and played several of them live on Act II, probably well aware that this way the songs would be bootlegged – something he apparently saw as a preferable way of getting his music out than giving it to Warners.

So what was the Come ’93 configuration? If you look to the second and released configurations, the middle part remains constant with the beginning and end of the album undergoing changes. So let’s start with the beginning.

When on tour in 1993, Prince usually played Come, Endorphine Machine and Peach in succession, indicating that these were the three opening tracks of the album. And usually the first single off an album isn’t placed too far into it, so Peach most likely was the third track. Which also makes sense from a narrative point of view, if Peach is then followed by Space and Pheromone. Peach is about desire, Space is about stronger desire and Pheromone is about obsessive desire.

So that was the first three tracks and the constant mid-section, leaving the question of the closing tracks. Dolphin and Pope are also mentioned in the letter, and Dolphin is a natural following Solo.

But what about Poem and What’s My Name, which were included in the Glam Slam Ulysses production? Were they also included on the album? I say yes, because they are circulating segued together. And considering that Endorphine Machine did not become Endorphinmachine until 1994, and it’s the second track, then having What’s My Name as the second-to-last track on the album gives the track-list a symmetry that would be typical of Prince. (The only two non-one word-titled tracks placed at balancing ends.)

Interactive had yet to be recorded at the time of the sequencing. So in all likelihood, the first configuration of Come is as follows:

Come (4:29)
Endorphine Machine (3:50)
Peach (3:48)
Space (5:26)
Pheromone (4:24)
Loose (3:22)
Papa (2:48)
Race (4:01)
Dark (6:26)
Solo (3:48)
Dolphin (5:27)
Poem (3:36)
What’s My Name (3:03)
Pope (3:28)


It certainly sounds like a brilliant album from start to finish. biggrin

Following the release of Peach and Pope on The Hits Vol.2, and some re-recordings of some of the tracks later in 1993, Prince then revised the configuration on March 11th 1994:

Poem (3:36)
Interactive (3:06)
Endorphine Machine (3:50)
Space (4:30)
Pheromone (4:24)
Loose (3:27)
Papa (2:49)
Race (4:17)
Dark (6:08)
Solo (3:51)
Strays Of The World (5:07)

This configuration of Come was intended to be released by Warner Brothers as a companion to The Gold Experience, on which the Come album was advertised by the NPG Operator during Interactive – the opening track on both albums. Prince wanted to release The Gold Experience on his own, like he had done with The Beautiful Experience EP.

Poem’s new place as the opening track was an obvious dig at WB. In fact, the track woks on three levels – Prince pleasing his girl, Prince guiding the listener towards the opening track of the album and Prince teasing WB. As such, I think it’s quite brilliant. biggrin

When playing live in 1994, Prince now played Interactive, Endorphine Machine and Space in succession, indicating that he had indeed performed the opening tracks of the first configuration when he played Come, Endorphine Machine and Peach in 1993. He just changed the live set to match the changes on the album. wink

Besides Peach and Pope, Prince had also pulled Come and Dolphin from the Come album – probably because he figured they had hit potential and so didn’t want WB to have them. But he had yet to place Dolphin on the Gold album. nod

Even though reduced from 14 tracks to 11, I still think this is an outstanding album – brilliant from start to finish. biggrin

When WB nixed the idea of releasing Come and Gold simultaneously, Prince also pulled Interactive, Endorphin Machine and Strays Of The World from the album, replacing them with the sex-version of Come (just to bother WB, I’m sure) and Letitgo. And so, what had started out as a great rock/pop/funk album devolved into a rather ordinary R&B album. sad

Well, what do you all think? Is my guess at the first configuration right? Any better ideas? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone? Borisfishpaw? biggrin
[This message was edited Sat Jul 10 11:31:48 2004 by scififilmnerd]
I feel the same way u do! Great observations and A+ 4doin yo homework playa! Kudos.
U,ME,WE!....2FUNKY!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 07/10/04 12:55pm

scififilmnerd

avatar

ELBOOGY said:

I feel the same way u do! Great observations and A+ 4doin yo homework playa! Kudos.


Thank you. biggrin
rainbow woot! FREE THE 29 MAY 1993 COME CONFIGURATION! woot! rainbow
rainbow woot! FREE THE 1994 CHAOS AND DISORDER CONFIGURATION woot! rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 07/10/04 12:57pm

GrayKing

avatar

i always take the 93-95 tracks and make them a triple album called the Dawn. he should have done this. saved it all for when he was "free" instead of putting out Emancipation, and filled his WB contract with outtakes.
"Awards are like hemorrhoids. Sooner or later, every asshole gets one."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 07/10/04 1:16pm

BorisFishpaw

avatar

GrayKing said:

i always take the 93-95 tracks and make them a triple album called the Dawn. he should have done this. saved it all for when he was "free" instead of putting out Emancipation, and filled his WB contract with outtakes.


I did the same thing a few years back, and I have to say I still listen to it a lot even now.
I did take a few liberties with it though and included a couple of tracks that strictly speaking
hadn't been written at that point, plus I also used a lot of my own tweaks a remixes/re-edits
and alternate versions. Anyway here's the tracklist...


THE DAWN

disc 1:
01. WELCOME 2 THE DAWN (2:08)
02. npg operator (0:11)
03. COME (PART 1) (2:57)
04. ENDORPHIN MACHINE (3:50)
05. SPACE (5:11)
06. DAYS OF WILD (7:15)
07. npg operator (0:17)
08. THE MOST BEAUTIFUL GIRL IN THE WORLD (4:54)
09. THE POPE (4:32)
10. RIPOPGODAZIPPA (4:36)
11. npg operator (0:06)
12. RACE (8:01)
13. EMPTY ROOM (3:16)
14. npg operator (0:06)
15. MAD (5:29)
16. ROCK & ROLL IS ALIVE (4:30)
17. SHHH (7:25)

disc 2:
01. PUSSY CONTROL (5:38)
02. npg operator (0:08)
03. PEACH (3:04)
04. CHAOS & DISORDER (4:12)
05. SHY (4:56)
06. npg operator (0:14)
07. PHEROMONE (4:27)
08. 319 (3:19)
09. 18 & OVER (6:10)
10. npg operator (0:14)
11. LEMME SEE THAT BODY GET LOOSE (4:30)
12. PAPA (2:48)
13. npg operator (0:05)
14. BILLY JACK BITCH (7:06)
15. I HATE U (8:50)
16. LET IT GO (5:31)
17. DON’T TALK 2 STRANGERS (3:12)

disc 3:
01. INTERACTIVE (3:01)
02. ACKNOWLEDGE ME (6:33)
03. npg operator (0:09)
04. SOMEBODY’S SOMEBODY (3:43)
05. LOVE SIGN (4:31)
06. WHAT’S MY NAME (3:01)
07. THE RIDE (7:36)
08. npg operator (0:20)
09. NOW (3:59)
10. FACE DOWN (2:09)
11. npg operator (0:09)
12. THE SAME DECEMBER (3:27)
13. EXTRAORDINARY (2:25)
14. DOLPHIN (6:17)
15. COME (PART 2) (9:06)
16. npg operator (0:38)
17. GOLD (7:22)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 07/10/04 1:20pm

Milty

avatar

scififilmnerd said:



Come (4:29)
Endorphine Machine (3:50)
Peach (3:48)
Space (5:26)
Pheromone (4:24)
Loose (3:22)
Papa (2:48)
Race (4:01)
Dark (6:26)
Solo (3:48)
Dolphin (5:27)
Poem (3:36)
What’s My Name (3:03)
Pope (3:28)


[This message was edited Sat Jul 10 11:31:48 2004 by scififilmnerd]



wow that would have made the album even more special.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 07/10/04 1:26pm

scififilmnerd

avatar

BorisFishpaw said:

There were many configurations of Come in the time before it's eventual release.
Most of the first versions to be compiled had the opening three tracks as follows...
1. Come
2. Endorphin Machine
3. Space
These three tracks segued into each other, and you can still hear the remenants of the
segues in the released version of Endorphinmachine. The first 8 seconds (before the guitar riff
kicks in) are part of the segue out of the original version of 'Come' (which is why the key
changes down before the song starts), and the held synth note after the finale is actually the
intro to 'Space'.


But... isn't the remnants of the segue from Endorphine Machine to Space because the circulating version of Endorphine Machine is from the March 11th 1994 configuration? confuse

The Past, Present & Future II bootleg boasts having Interactive and Endorphine Machine from the March 11th 1994 acetate, but they didn't include Poem and Space! stab

BorisFishpaw said:

The earliest version of 'Come' I've seen had the following sequence...

1. Come
2. Endorphin Machine
3. Space
4. Pheromone
5. Loose
6. Papa
7. Race
8. Dark
9. Dolphin
10. Poem


Sounds good, too. I'll buy that. nod

BorisFishpaw said:

There were many other sequences around this time which expanded the album to include tracks like 'Peach', 'Strays Of The World', 'Pope', 'What's My Name', 'Solo', 'Johnny', 'Shhh', 'Interactive', 'Zannalee' and 'The Ride' (Unfortunately, the exact sequence of a lot of these incarnations are not known).


I'm not sure I'll buy Shhh being included, unless it was in 1994 following the March 11th configuration. The story has it, that WB had seen the performance of this already released track (by Tevin Cambell) in The Beautiful Experience TV movie. Prince didn't want to give in to their request, but he then did a recording of it and included it on The Gold Experience, which he still hoped to release on his own, just to irritate WB. (Personally, I find it a so-so track not worthy of Come.) biggrin

I'm not sure I'll buy The Ride and Johnny, either, as The Ride was on THe Undertaker and Johnny on Goldnigga. confuse

As for Zannalee, I know it was recorded along with the other one-word titled songs, but somehow it don't fit among the other songs. So I've always assumed it was a left-over, but that he intended to release it later, which is why The Undertaker (which was recorded AFTER the first configuration of Come) contained the Prelude. biggrin

And then, when he started work on the original configuration of Chaos And Disorder - most of which he also recorded in the latter half of 1993, he found a home for Zannalee. biggrin

BorisFishpaw said:

By the end of 1993 Prince had recorded many more tracks
(a lot of which would surface on The Gold Experience and Crystal Ball), and for a while he
was seriously considering compiling a double or triple album of all this new material entitled
'The Dawn'. This idea was scrapped due to the strained relationship between Prince and WB,
as a) WB were not keen on releasing a triple album (or even a double), and b) it would've
only counted as 1 album towards Prince fulfilling his contract, so he decided to split the tracks
into 2 albums. The only surviving part of 'The Dawn' concept were all the 'NPG Operator'
segues on The Gold Experience.


But I thought the NPG Operator-segues were part and parcel of The Gold Experience concept, which was vastly different from the Come concept. Would Prince really stray that far from those concepts and mix it all together? Unless the triple album was simply Come, Gold and The Undertaker collected as separate discs in a triple collection. biggrin

BorisFishpaw said:

There was even a version of 'Come' that included 2 versions of the title track. It opened with the shorter faster unreleased version and closed with the then newly recorded 'album' version (which segued into an uncredited 'Strays Of The World').


Must have been between the March 11th 1994 configuration and the released configuration, then. I'll buy it. biggrin

(Gosh, I just love talking 'bout this. I think 1993 was a very fascinating period in Prince's recording history. biggrin )
[This message was edited Sat Jul 10 13:52:29 2004 by scififilmnerd]
rainbow woot! FREE THE 29 MAY 1993 COME CONFIGURATION! woot! rainbow
rainbow woot! FREE THE 1994 CHAOS AND DISORDER CONFIGURATION woot! rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 07/10/04 1:29pm

scififilmnerd

avatar

BorisFishpaw said:

COME (PART 1) (2:57)


eek

You know, splicing the Glam Slam Ulysses parts together into the full (4:29) version is quite simple. I did it on simple double tape deck. I'm surprised you haven't thought of this. confuse
[This message was edited Sat Jul 10 13:47:52 2004 by scififilmnerd]
rainbow woot! FREE THE 29 MAY 1993 COME CONFIGURATION! woot! rainbow
rainbow woot! FREE THE 1994 CHAOS AND DISORDER CONFIGURATION woot! rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 07/10/04 1:35pm

scififilmnerd

avatar

Milty said:

scififilmnerd said:



Come (4:29)
Endorphine Machine (3:50)
Peach (3:48)
Space (5:26)
Pheromone (4:24)
Loose (3:22)
Papa (2:48)
Race (4:01)
Dark (6:26)
Solo (3:48)
Dolphin (5:27)
Poem (3:36)
What’s My Name (3:03)
Pope (3:28)




wow that would have made the album even more special.


Yes. It would be wonderful if he put it up for sale on the NPGMC so we could enjoy all the original versions in good sound quality. And that way he could also beat the bootleggers. It would be totally win-win for him. biggrin
rainbow woot! FREE THE 29 MAY 1993 COME CONFIGURATION! woot! rainbow
rainbow woot! FREE THE 1994 CHAOS AND DISORDER CONFIGURATION woot! rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 07/10/04 1:42pm

Anxiety

BorisFishpaw said:

GrayKing said:

i always take the 93-95 tracks and make them a triple album called the Dawn. he should have done this. saved it all for when he was "free" instead of putting out Emancipation, and filled his WB contract with outtakes.


I did the same thing a few years back, and I have to say I still listen to it a lot even now.
I did take a few liberties with it though and included a couple of tracks that strictly speaking
hadn't been written at that point, plus I also used a lot of my own tweaks a remixes/re-edits
and alternate versions. Anyway here's the tracklist...


THE DAWN

disc 1:
01. WELCOME 2 THE DAWN (2:08)
02. npg operator (0:11)
03. COME (PART 1) (2:57)
04. ENDORPHIN MACHINE (3:50)
05. SPACE (5:11)
06. DAYS OF WILD (7:15)
07. npg operator (0:17)
08. THE MOST BEAUTIFUL GIRL IN THE WORLD (4:54)
09. THE POPE (4:32)
10. RIPOPGODAZIPPA (4:36)
11. npg operator (0:06)
12. RACE (8:01)
13. EMPTY ROOM (3:16)
14. npg operator (0:06)
15. MAD (5:29)
16. ROCK & ROLL IS ALIVE (4:30)
17. SHHH (7:25)

disc 2:
01. PUSSY CONTROL (5:38)
02. npg operator (0:08)
03. PEACH (3:04)
04. CHAOS & DISORDER (4:12)
05. SHY (4:56)
06. npg operator (0:14)
07. PHEROMONE (4:27)
08. 319 (3:19)
09. 18 & OVER (6:10)
10. npg operator (0:14)
11. LEMME SEE THAT BODY GET LOOSE (4:30)
12. PAPA (2:48)
13. npg operator (0:05)
14. BILLY JACK BITCH (7:06)
15. I HATE U (8:50)
16. LET IT GO (5:31)
17. DON’T TALK 2 STRANGERS (3:12)

disc 3:
01. INTERACTIVE (3:01)
02. ACKNOWLEDGE ME (6:33)
03. npg operator (0:09)
04. SOMEBODY’S SOMEBODY (3:43)
05. LOVE SIGN (4:31)
06. WHAT’S MY NAME (3:01)
07. THE RIDE (7:36)
08. npg operator (0:20)
09. NOW (3:59)
10. FACE DOWN (2:09)
11. npg operator (0:09)
12. THE SAME DECEMBER (3:27)
13. EXTRAORDINARY (2:25)
14. DOLPHIN (6:17)
15. COME (PART 2) (9:06)
16. npg operator (0:38)
17. GOLD (7:22)



drool
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 07/10/04 1:49pm

scififilmnerd

avatar

Anxiety said:

drool


Hey! stfu

Don't drool at his ! Drool at MINE ! stab
























mr.green
rainbow woot! FREE THE 29 MAY 1993 COME CONFIGURATION! woot! rainbow
rainbow woot! FREE THE 1994 CHAOS AND DISORDER CONFIGURATION woot! rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 07/10/04 1:51pm

Anxiety

scififilmnerd said:

Don't drool at his ! Drool at MINE ! stab


drooling
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 07/10/04 1:52pm

BorisFishpaw

avatar

scififilmnerd said:

BorisFishpaw said:

COME (PART 1) (2:57)


eek

You know, splicing the Glam Slam Ulysses parts together into the full (4:29) version is quite simple. I did it on simple double tape deck. I'm surprised you haven't thought of this. confuse
[This message was edited Sat Jul 10 13:47:52 2004 by scififilmnerd]


Oh, it's not that version. It's a mix I made myself using the Beautiful Experience remix, and the
organ solo outro (to get the segue into Endorphinmachine). Come (part II) is an edited version
of the regular album version.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 07/10/04 1:53pm

scififilmnerd

avatar

Anxiety said:

drooling


THANK you. biggrin
rainbow woot! FREE THE 29 MAY 1993 COME CONFIGURATION! woot! rainbow
rainbow woot! FREE THE 1994 CHAOS AND DISORDER CONFIGURATION woot! rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 07/10/04 1:57pm

scififilmnerd

avatar

BorisFishpaw said:

It's a mix I made myself using the Beautiful Experience remix, and the
organ solo outro (to get the segue into Endorphinmachine). Come (part II) is an edited version
of the regular album version.


Well, The Beautiful Experience version of Come is also very good. nod
rainbow woot! FREE THE 29 MAY 1993 COME CONFIGURATION! woot! rainbow
rainbow woot! FREE THE 1994 CHAOS AND DISORDER CONFIGURATION woot! rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 07/10/04 2:04pm

MashedPotatoKi
d

avatar

IIRC, weren't all these one word title songs written as a result of "Puerto Rico" as i remember he once said
Apparently that was when his spirit came to him and told him to change his name.

How did you feel when you heard Jimi Hendrix for the first time? He stops and thinks and arranges his hands in a steeple in front of his mouth.

"That was before Puerto Rico," he says quietly and, to be honest, mystifyingly. "I can't remember much before then. That was before I changed my name."

Why have you changed your name?

"I acted on the advice of my spirit."

Do you normally do that. Is it reliable, your spirit's advice?

"Of course."



http://princetext.tripod....mag94.html





This time period was in my opinion one of his best in terms of the music. Not since the 86/87 Crystal Ball prject had he produced such a large amount of amazing music. I was thrilled when I first hear Come and TGE. To me TGE is one of his best 3 or 4 albums, and even then it could have been so much better.
...just another manic monday...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 07/10/04 2:09pm

BorisFishpaw

avatar

Here's a little explaination of some of the alternate versions and remixes I used on this...

THE DAWN

disc 1:
01. WELCOME 2 THE DAWN (2:08) - slightly edited version (so it's more like an 'intro')
02. npg operator (0:11)
03. COME (PART 1) (2:57) - the beaut.exp. remix, with the outro from the original version.
04. ENDORPHIN MACHINE (3:50) - original version. segues from come & into space
05. SPACE (5:11) - extended by creating a 'breakdown' with the universal & funky stuff mixes
06. DAYS OF WILD (7:15) - edit of crystal ball version, plus NPGMC guitar solo version.
07. npg operator (0:17)
08. THE MOST BEAUTIFUL GIRL IN THE WORLD (4:54) - mix of album vers & mustang '96
09. THE POPE (4:32) - uses parts of the 12" remix (and a sneaky snippet of dmsr)
10. RIPOPGODAZIPPA (4:36)
11. npg operator (0:06)
12. RACE (8:01) - extended using the 'outa space' part from the unreleased vers. of super hero
13. EMPTY ROOM (3:16)
14. npg operator (0:06)
15. MAD (5:29) - these last 3 tracks segue into each other
16. ROCK & ROLL IS ALIVE (4:30)
17. SHHH (7:25)

disc 2:
01. PUSSY CONTROL (5:38) - the VH1 fashion awards version
02. npg operator (0:08)
03. PEACH (3:04) - ending mixed with part of purple medley version, segues into...
04. CHAOS & DISORDER (4:12)
05. SHY (4:56)
06. npg operator (0:14)
07. PHEROMONE (4:27) - snippet of instrumental version's into edited on front
08. 319 (3:19)
09. 18 & OVER (6:10) - full length version
10. npg operator (0:14)
11. LEMME SEE THAT BODY GET LOOSE (4:30) - remix of loose and get loose
12. PAPA (2:48)
13. npg operator (0:05)
14. BILLY JACK BITCH (7:06) - full length version
15. I HATE U (8:50) - extended using parts of 'extended remix', segues into...
16. LET IT GO (5:31)
17. DON’T TALK 2 STRANGERS (3:12)

disc 3:
01. INTERACTIVE (3:01)
02. ACKNOWLEDGE ME (6:33) - extended using parts of good life big city remix
03. npg operator (0:09)
04. SOMEBODY’S SOMEBODY (3:43) - livestudio mix
05. LOVE SIGN (4:31) - edited together an ending for this one
06. WHAT’S MY NAME (3:01)
07. THE RIDE (7:36) - edit of crystal ball and undertaker versions
08. npg operator (0:20)
09. NOW (3:59) - runs straight into...
10. FACE DOWN (2:09) - acapella version over the backbeat from 'now'
11. npg operator (0:09)
12. THE SAME DECEMBER (3:27)
13. EXTRAORDINARY (2:25)
14. DOLPHIN (6:17) - extended by using the undertaker version's outro, segues into...
15. COME (PART 2) (9:06) - edit of album version, segues into...
16. npg operator (0:38)
17. GOLD (7:22)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 07/10/04 2:13pm

scififilmnerd

avatar

Dazza said:

What's POEM like. Is it simply that...a poem?


It's a longer version of Orgasm. It goes like this:

Come

Come

(Ready or not, here I come)
Come on
Come on

Don't B shy
It's only U & Eye

Isn't that what U want?
(Oh, yeah)
(Oh, oh, here I come)
Come on, then

Keep going
Keep going
(Oh, yeah)
Keep going

Yeah
(Here I, here I, here I come)
Come with me
(Now!)
Come

Imagine what U look like from across the room
U're almost there
Come

(oh, yeah!)

I love U
Welcome 2 the Dawn


Then What's My Name starts. biggrin

On the March 11th configuration, Prince giggles after Poem and then Interactive starts up. biggrin
rainbow woot! FREE THE 29 MAY 1993 COME CONFIGURATION! woot! rainbow
rainbow woot! FREE THE 1994 CHAOS AND DISORDER CONFIGURATION woot! rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 07/10/04 2:16pm

bananacologne

Mayte's letter 2 Controversy magazine - part I (1st June 1993)

© 1993 Controversy magazine


Mayte's letter 2 Controversy magazine - part II (1st June 1993)

© 1993 Controversy magazine


[This message was edited Sat Jul 10 14:16:37 2004 by bananacologne]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 07/10/04 2:24pm

scififilmnerd

avatar

MashedPotatoKid said:

IIRC, weren't all these one word title songs written as a result of "Puerto Rico" as i remember he once said
Apparently that was when his spirit came to him and told him to change his name.


They were indeed, according to Mayte's letter which the wonderful Bananacologne has been so very kind to post. biggrin

MashedPotatoKid said:

This time period was in my opinion one of his best in terms of the music. Not since the 86/87 Crystal Ball prject had he produced such a large amount of amazing music. I was thrilled when I first hear Come and TGE. To me TGE is one of his best 3 or 4 albums, and even then it could have been so much better.


I agree completely. 1993-1994 was a wonderful, exciting time to be a Prince fan (although Prince probably doesn't recall it as wonder-years because of his struggles with WB.) biggrin

And the music stands the test of time. I still get a kick out of listening to it. headbang
rainbow woot! FREE THE 29 MAY 1993 COME CONFIGURATION! woot! rainbow
rainbow woot! FREE THE 1994 CHAOS AND DISORDER CONFIGURATION woot! rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 07/10/04 2:28pm

Bsunshine

BORIS YOU ROCK-

i thought I was the only one who put those tracks on tapes (didn't have a cd burner then) and called it THE DAWN. Small world!

When are you going to write a book on Prince's studio sessions? It needs to be done and there are only a few people out there that could do it. Join up with DavidEye and Per Nilsen and get writing!!!
the official GIRLY GIRL of the Lesbian wing of the Prince.org. Accept no substitutes!!!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 07/10/04 2:29pm

BorisFishpaw

avatar

scififilmnerd said:

BorisFishpaw said:

There were many configurations of Come in the time before it's eventual release.
Most of the first versions to be compiled had the opening three tracks as follows...
1. Come
2. Endorphin Machine
3. Space
These three tracks segued into each other, and you can still hear the remenants of the
segues in the released version of Endorphinmachine. The first 8 seconds (before the guitar riff
kicks in) are part of the segue out of the original version of 'Come' (which is why the key
changes down before the song starts), and the held synth note after the finale is actually the
intro to 'Space'.


But... isn't the remnants of the segue from Endorphine Machine to Space because the circulating version of Endorphine Machine is from the March 11th 1994 configuration? confuse

The segue I mentioned pre-dates the March 11th configuration (though of course that
version still uses it) The Come/Endorphin Machine/Space sequence came about very early on.
I know he often played Come/Endorphin Machine/Peach live, but I've never seen Peach
sequenced like this on any configuration. It was usually placed nearer the middle/later
part of the album.

The Past, Present & Future II bootleg boasts having Interactive and Endorphine Machine from the March 11th 1994 acetate, but they didn't include Poem and Space! stab

But I thought the NPG Operator-segues were part and parcel of The Gold Experience concept, which was vastly different from the Come concept. Would Prince really stray that far from those concepts and mix it all together? Unless the triple album was simply Come, Gold and The Undertaker collected as separate discs in a triple collection. biggrin


No, 'The Gold Experience' (as an album concept) came very late in the evolution of these tracks.
The segues were done when the album concept was going to be 'The Dawn'. Then after that
was shelved the single album was going to be called 'The Beautiful Experience' (but then he
used the name for the TMBGITW ep). Then the album was going to just be called 'Gold'.
Then he thought about packaging it in a plain gold sleeve (like the black album) and letting
it be known as 'the Gold album'. Then finally it was christened 'The Gold Experience'.

BorisFishpaw said:

There was even a version of 'Come' that included 2 versions of the title track. It opened with the shorter faster unreleased version and closed with the then newly recorded 'album' version (which segued into an uncredited 'Strays Of The World').


Must have been between the March 11th 1994 configuration and the released configuration, then. I'll buy it. biggrin

(Gosh, I just love talking 'bout this. I think 1993 was a very fascinating period in Prince's recording history. biggrin )
[This message was edited Sat Jul 10 13:52:29 2004 by scififilmnerd]


I agree, I love this period in Prince's career. So many great songs came out of this era.
IMHO, his most creative period since the '86-'87 Dream Factory/Camille/Crystal Ball era.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 07/10/04 2:38pm

bananacologne

scififilmnerd said:

MashedPotatoKid said:

IIRC, weren't all these one word title songs written as a result of "Puerto Rico" as i remember he once said
Apparently that was when his spirit came to him and told him to change his name.


They were indeed, according to Mayte's letter which the wonderful Bananacologne has been so very kind to post.


kiss2
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 07/10/04 2:46pm

MashedPotatoKi
d

avatar

cheers 4 the letter 'nana thumbs up!

i think that without a doubt, this 93-95 period was his peak period
but all goos things they say ever last
...just another manic monday...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 07/10/04 2:55pm

scififilmnerd

avatar

BorisFishpaw said:

'The Gold Experience' (as an album concept) came very late in the evolution of these tracks.
The segues were done when the album concept was going to be 'The Dawn'. Then after that
was shelved the single album was going to be called 'The Beautiful Experience' (but then he
used the name for the TMBGITW ep). Then the album was going to just be called 'Gold'.
Then he thought about packaging it in a plain gold sleeve (like the black album) and letting
it be known as 'the Gold album'. Then finally it was christened 'The Gold Experience'.


So let me see if I got this straight...

On May 30th 1993, he did this configuration:

1. Come
2. Endorphin Machine
3. Space
4. Pheromone
5. Loose
6. Papa
7. Race
8. Dark
9. Dolphin
10. Poem

- even though I like my guess a little better and it doesn't include Pope even though Mayte mentions it in her letter?! neutral

Then he recorded The Undertaker. biggrin

Then - still in 1993 - he started recording the Gold tracks, C&D tracks and such, reworked some Come songs and put it all on the triple Dawn album which included the NPG Operator segues? confuse

Then - still in 1993 - he pared The Dawn down to The Beautiful Experience album? confuse

Then - still in 1993 or in early 1994 - The Beautiful Experience became Gold, possibly with a new track list? confuse

Then - in March 1994 - he conceived the idea of releasing Come (now with a new configuration) and Gold (now retitled The Gold Experience but not necessarily with a new configuration) as two companion albums? confuse

Then he did a new configuration of Come that included both the "spiritual" and "sex"-versions of Come? confuse

Then he did the Come that was released. biggrin

Then he did the Gold Experience that was releases, sans Days Of Wild. biggrin

That makes it four configurations of Come (including the released one) and four versions of Gold (including the released one), plus one The Dawn consisting of tracks from Come and tracks that would become Gold. Phew! nuts

Did I miss any configurations here? lol
[This message was edited Sat Jul 10 15:04:24 2004 by scififilmnerd]
rainbow woot! FREE THE 29 MAY 1993 COME CONFIGURATION! woot! rainbow
rainbow woot! FREE THE 1994 CHAOS AND DISORDER CONFIGURATION woot! rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 07/10/04 3:14pm

BorisFishpaw

avatar

scififilmnerd said:

BorisFishpaw said:

'The Gold Experience' (as an album concept) came very late in the evolution of these tracks.
The segues were done when the album concept was going to be 'The Dawn'. Then after that
was shelved the single album was going to be called 'The Beautiful Experience' (but then he
used the name for the TMBGITW ep). Then the album was going to just be called 'Gold'.
Then he thought about packaging it in a plain gold sleeve (like the black album) and letting
it be known as 'the Gold album'. Then finally it was christened 'The Gold Experience'.


So let me see if I got this straight...

On May 30th 1993, he did this configuration:

1. Come
2. Endorphin Machine
3. Space
4. Pheromone
5. Loose
6. Papa
7. Race
8. Dark
9. Dolphin
10. Poem

- even though I like my guess a little better? neutral

Then he recorded The Undertaker. biggrin

Then - still in 1993 - he started recording the Gold tracks, C&D tracks and such, reworked some Come songs and put it all on the triple Dawn album which included the NPG Operator segues? confuse

Then - still in 1993 - he pared The Dawn down to The Beautiful Experience album? confuse

Then - still in 1993 or in early 1994 - The Beautiful Experience became Gold, possibly with a new track list? confuse

Then - in March 1994 - he conceived the idea of releasing Come (now with a new configuration) and Gold (now retitled The Gold Experience but not necessarily with a new configuration) as two companion albums? confuse

Then he did a new configuration of Come that included both the "spiritual" and "sex"-versions of Come? confuse

Then he did the Come that was released. biggrin

Then he did the Gold Experience that was releases, sans Days Of Wild. biggrin

That makes it four configurations of Come (including the released one) and four versions of Gold (including the released one), plus one The Dawn consisting of tracks from Come and tracks that would become Gold. Phew! nuts

Did I miss any configurations here? lol
[This message was edited Sat Jul 10 14:59:52 2004 by scififilmnerd]


Yup, that's pretty much it (can't remember the exact order, but that's fairly close)
Busy wasn't he? biggrin

Not only that but he recorded another Madhouse album and finished Goldnigga in this time as
well! AND took the 'Act II' tour to Europe.

basically, Come (the album) was created at the beginning of '93, kinda shelved by mid '93
when he used most of the tracks for the Glam Slam Ulysses show. Evolved into 'The Dawn'
by the end of the year (much like Camille evolving into Crystal Ball several years earlier).
Come was then reborn as an album again in early '94 when 'The Dawn' was shelved.
(It seemed the logical way of splitting the tracks back down into seperate single albums)
And I think there were many more than 4 versions of Come and TGE over their evolution.
(It's just that we don't know exactly what they were). I've seen at least 5 versions of TGE over
the years. Plus some of the tracks were actually recorded in '92 (Peach, Shhh) & '91 (Race)
[This message was edited Sat Jul 10 15:24:12 2004 by BorisFishpaw]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 07/10/04 3:52pm

camilleisfunky

This is an excellent thread...I've always loved that material recorded by Prince between 1992 and 1994 and also that band that he had...too funky.
There is one thing is not very clear to me: what is the Galm Slam Ulysses?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 4 1234>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > COME May 30th 1993 configuration