independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 12th Nov 2018 12:06pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > General Discussion > Your 2018 Oscar picks so far
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 2 <12
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 10/18/18 5:13pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

EmmaMcG said:

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

The intresting thing this year compared to last year is in the best actress category. Last year, and the year before there were so many OUTSTANDING best actress performances. This year...lol Lady Gaga is getting consideration. She was not bad, but not great either.

This year I hear a lot of sympathy vote talk. Spike Lee for instance. His movie this year was not a good movie by any stretch of the imagination but I hear a lot of talk about giving him a nomination for his culmative “career” This is the old Hollywood talk that got us so many terrible Oscar picks in years past because of nepotism and sympathy. It needs to be merit only. I hate sympathy votes.

Having said all that, if Lady Gaga gets a nomination she will earn it. Not because she was great (which I don’tthink she was) it will be because of the lack of great choices this year.
[Edited 10/18/18 15:22pm]




It definitely hasn't been a stellar year. The upcoming releases don't look great either. The new Clint Eastwood movie could go either way. Other than that though there's not much on the horizon. Creed 2, maybe?

First Man is my pick so far. I'd personally go for Infinity War but unfortunately superhero movies are never considered.


This was a good year for Hollywood because Marvel and Disney are firing on all cylinders giving audiences what they want. Perhaps not “great” films, but there have been a lot of “enjoyable” films this year. Younger audiences had a lot to choose from and they were very well made films. For me the Incredibles was better and smarter than most “adult” films this year. Padington 2 was also very good.
Teens had the most to choose from and a lot of these films were good too.

Not a lot of truly “great” films this year, but what they released this year helps them pay the bills. Hollywood is happy this year.
Crooked Donnie. Lock him up!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 10/18/18 5:53pm

kpowers

avatar

EmmaMcG said:

Ugot2shakesumthin said:
The intresting thing this year compared to last year is in the best actress category. Last year, and the year before there were so many OUTSTANDING best actress performances. This year...lol Lady Gaga is getting consideration. She was not bad, but not great either. This year I hear a lot of sympathy vote talk. Spike Lee for instance. His movie this year was not a good movie by any stretch of the imagination but I hear a lot of talk about giving him a nomination for his culmative “career” This is the old Hollywood talk that got us so many terrible Oscar picks in years past because of nepotism and sympathy. It needs to be merit only. I hate sympathy votes. Having said all that, if Lady Gaga gets a nomination she will earn it. Not because she was great (which I don’tthink she was) it will be because of the lack of great choices this year. [Edited 10/18/18 15:22pm]
It definitely hasn't been a stellar year. The upcoming releases don't look great either. The new Clint Eastwood movie could go either way. Other than that though there's not much on the horizon. Creed 2, maybe? First Man is my pick so far. I'd personally go for Infinity War but unfortunately superhero movies are never considered.

Image result for aliens ripley

The closes ever was Sigourney Weaver Oscar nomination for best Actress in Aliens (not counting special effects/sound/editing and so on)

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 10/19/18 12:49am

EmmaMcG

kpowers said:



EmmaMcG said:


Ugot2shakesumthin said:
The intresting thing this year compared to last year is in the best actress category. Last year, and the year before there were so many OUTSTANDING best actress performances. This year...lol Lady Gaga is getting consideration. She was not bad, but not great either. This year I hear a lot of sympathy vote talk. Spike Lee for instance. His movie this year was not a good movie by any stretch of the imagination but I hear a lot of talk about giving him a nomination for his culmative “career” This is the old Hollywood talk that got us so many terrible Oscar picks in years past because of nepotism and sympathy. It needs to be merit only. I hate sympathy votes. Having said all that, if Lady Gaga gets a nomination she will earn it. Not because she was great (which I don’tthink she was) it will be because of the lack of great choices this year. [Edited 10/18/18 15:22pm]

It definitely hasn't been a stellar year. The upcoming releases don't look great either. The new Clint Eastwood movie could go either way. Other than that though there's not much on the horizon. Creed 2, maybe? First Man is my pick so far. I'd personally go for Infinity War but unfortunately superhero movies are never considered.

Image result for aliens ripley


The closes ever was Sigourney Weaver Oscar nomination for best Actress in Aliens (not counting special effects/sound/editing and so on)



She should have won
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 10/19/18 1:59am

kpowers

avatar

EmmaMcG said:

kpowers said:

Image result for aliens ripley

The closes ever was Sigourney Weaver Oscar nomination for best Actress in Aliens (not counting special effects/sound/editing and so on)

She should have won

nod

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 10/24/18 7:48am

JorisE73

kpowers said:

EmmaMcG said:

unfortunately superhero movies are never considered.

Image result for aliens ripley

The closes ever was Sigourney Weaver Oscar nomination for best Actress in Aliens (not counting special effects/sound/editing and so on)


Are we talking only actresses here? Because as far as superhero movies go I think only Heath Ledger won an Oscar for his acting in a Superhero movie and probably will be the last for a very long time. I haven't seen any standout acting in any of the superhero movies since The Dark Knight. Most acting in Superhero movies (especially the Disney Marvel movies, the Fox Marvel movies a bit less) are just silly and campy.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 10/24/18 9:05am

EmmaMcG

JorisE73 said:



kpowers said:




EmmaMcG said:


unfortunately superhero movies are never considered.

Image result for aliens ripley


The closes ever was Sigourney Weaver Oscar nomination for best Actress in Aliens (not counting special effects/sound/editing and so on)




Are we talking only actresses here? Because as far as superhero movies go I think only Heath Ledger won an Oscar for his acting in a Superhero movie and probably will be the last for a very long time. I haven't seen any standout acting in any of the superhero movies since The Dark Knight. Most acting in Superhero movies (especially the Disney Marvel movies, the Fox Marvel movies a bit less) are just silly and campy.



And Heath Ledger only won because he died. His performance was good. But it wasn't THAT good. Jack Nicholson was a far better Joker.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 10/24/18 11:07am

luvsexy4all

when they gave an oscar to a movie where a woman has sex with a manfish u know they have become the grammies

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 10/24/18 12:27pm

kpowers

avatar

JorisE73 said:

kpowers said:

Image result for aliens ripley

The closes ever was Sigourney Weaver Oscar nomination for best Actress in Aliens (not counting special effects/sound/editing and so on)


Are we talking only actresses here? Because as far as superhero movies go I think only Heath Ledger won an Oscar for his acting in a Superhero movie and probably will be the last for a very long time. I haven't seen any standout acting in any of the superhero movies since The Dark Knight. Most acting in Superhero movies (especially the Disney Marvel movies, the Fox Marvel movies a bit less) are just silly and campy.

Oh yeah forgot about that. But Emma makes a good point, if he was alive he would have not won the Oscar.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 10/24/18 1:02pm

kpowers

avatar

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yMTgvMTk0L2kwMi9QYXRyaWNrU3Rld2FydC5qcGc=

Patrick Stewart is such a great actor. If he was doing dramas instead of Star Trek or the X-Men he would have won many Oscars and Emmy's

[Edited 10/24/18 13:04pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 10/25/18 12:10am

sonshine

avatar

A Star Is Born. It's going to win some.

Bradley Cooper was great and deserves to win something. Some good (and also deserving) supporting role performances. Stefani's performance wasn't best actress worthy, BUT if they take into consideration her musical performances (which isn't really "acting" if it's her real life?) that makes it a different story. She is fierce. One of the best live musical performers today.

That being said if nothing else she will win for song of the year I have little doubt.
It's a hurtful place, the world, in and of itself. We don't need to add to it. We all need one another. ~ PRN
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 10/25/18 2:56am

JorisE73

EmmaMcG said:

JorisE73 said:


Are we talking only actresses here? Because as far as superhero movies go I think only Heath Ledger won an Oscar for his acting in a Superhero movie and probably will be the last for a very long time. I haven't seen any standout acting in any of the superhero movies since The Dark Knight. Most acting in Superhero movies (especially the Disney Marvel movies, the Fox Marvel movies a bit less) are just silly and campy.

And Heath Ledger only won because he died. His performance was good. But it wasn't THAT good. Jack Nicholson was a far better Joker.


Could be, but i thought Heath Ledger was better and more enjoyable to watch then Nicholson's campy and over the top Joker act. I love Jack Nicholson but this was just not that good in my opinion, but I also didn;t love the Batman movie except for Michael Keaton who was an awesome Batman and they should bulk him up and do The Dark Knight Returns while he's still around.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 10/25/18 3:03am

JorisE73

kpowers said:

JorisE73 said:


Are we talking only actresses here? Because as far as superhero movies go I think only Heath Ledger won an Oscar for his acting in a Superhero movie and probably will be the last for a very long time. I haven't seen any standout acting in any of the superhero movies since The Dark Knight. Most acting in Superhero movies (especially the Disney Marvel movies, the Fox Marvel movies a bit less) are just silly and campy.

Oh yeah forgot about that. But Emma makes a good point, if he was alive he would have not won the Oscar.


I think he won easily considering the other actors who were nominated that year. The only competition was Philip Seymore Hoffman but he wasn;t as good as Ledger.

All the other actors that were nominated had much better roles than they were nominated for.
And nominating Robert Downey Jr for Tropic Thunder was scraping the barrel.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 10/25/18 3:14am

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

sonshine said:

A Star Is Born. It's going to win some.

Bradley Cooper was great and deserves to win something. Some good (and also deserving) supporting role performances. Stefani's performance wasn't best actress worthy, BUT if they take into consideration her musical performances (which isn't really "acting" if it's her real life?) that makes it a different story. She is fierce. One of the best live musical performers today.

That being said if nothing else she will win for song of the year I have little doubt.



Cooper is great. Gaga is not. She may win something only becasue it is a weak year for female actresses.
Crooked Donnie. Lock him up!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 10/25/18 5:14am

EmmaMcG

JorisE73 said:



EmmaMcG said:


JorisE73 said:



Are we talking only actresses here? Because as far as superhero movies go I think only Heath Ledger won an Oscar for his acting in a Superhero movie and probably will be the last for a very long time. I haven't seen any standout acting in any of the superhero movies since The Dark Knight. Most acting in Superhero movies (especially the Disney Marvel movies, the Fox Marvel movies a bit less) are just silly and campy.



And Heath Ledger only won because he died. His performance was good. But it wasn't THAT good. Jack Nicholson was a far better Joker.


Could be, but i thought Heath Ledger was better and more enjoyable to watch then Nicholson's campy and over the top Joker act. I love Jack Nicholson but this was just not that good in my opinion, but I also didn;t love the Batman movie except for Michael Keaton who was an awesome Batman and they should bulk him up and do The Dark Knight Returns while he's still around.



To me, the ultimate version of the Joker is, and always will be, Mark Hamill. And he is over the top and campy. So as far as I'm concerned, The Joker is SUPPOSED to be over the top and campy. Heath Ledger didn't seem very "Jokery" to me at all. It felt like he was playing a different character.

I'd love to see a Michael Keaton Dark Knight Returns movie but what I'd probably want more than that, is a live action Batman Beyond TV series with Michael Keaton playing a retired Batman and an unknown actor playing Terry McGuinness/Batman. And if Dean Cain wants to put in a cameo playing a certain Kryptonian, then that would be just great.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 10/25/18 10:21am

kpowers

avatar

JorisE73 said:

kpowers said:

Oh yeah forgot about that. But Emma makes a good point, if he was alive he would have not won the Oscar.


I think he won easily considering the other actors who were nominated that year. The only competition was Philip Seymore Hoffman but he wasn;t as good as Ledger.

All the other actors that were nominated had much better roles than they were nominated for.
And nominating Robert Downey Jr for Tropic Thunder was scraping the barrel.

Then Philip Seymore Hoffman would have won

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 10/25/18 10:24am

kpowers

avatar

EmmaMcG said:

JorisE73 said:


Could be, but i thought Heath Ledger was better and more enjoyable to watch then Nicholson's campy and over the top Joker act. I love Jack Nicholson but this was just not that good in my opinion, but I also didn;t love the Batman movie except for Michael Keaton who was an awesome Batman and they should bulk him up and do The Dark Knight Returns while he's still around.

To me, the ultimate version of the Joker is, and always will be, Mark Hamill. And he is over the top and campy. So as far as I'm concerned, The Joker is SUPPOSED to be over the top and campy. Heath Ledger didn't seem very "Jokery" to me at all. It felt like he was playing a different character. I'd love to see a Michael Keaton Dark Knight Returns movie but what I'd probably want more than that, is a live action Batman Beyond TV series with Michael Keaton playing a retired Batman and an unknown actor playing Terry McGuinness/Batman. And if Dean Cain wants to put in a cameo playing a certain Kryptonian, then that would be just great.

The Nolan movies are overrated and Ledger was over rated. Yes Mark Hamill is the best Joker and Kevin Conroy is the best Batman.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 10/25/18 10:43am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

I may be the only person who didn't quite like Sorry to Bother You. Just too weird.

"My motherfucker's so cool sheep count him."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 10/25/18 10:48am

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

2freaky4church1 said:

I may be the only person who didn't quite like Sorry to Bother You. Just too weird.




I don’t mind the weirdness of it. I mind that it was just a badly made film.
Crooked Donnie. Lock him up!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 10/29/18 1:55am

JorisE73

kpowers said:

EmmaMcG said:

JorisE73 said: To me, the ultimate version of the Joker is, and always will be, Mark Hamill. And he is over the top and campy. So as far as I'm concerned, The Joker is SUPPOSED to be over the top and campy. Heath Ledger didn't seem very "Jokery" to me at all. It felt like he was playing a different character. I'd love to see a Michael Keaton Dark Knight Returns movie but what I'd probably want more than that, is a live action Batman Beyond TV series with Michael Keaton playing a retired Batman and an unknown actor playing Terry McGuinness/Batman. And if Dean Cain wants to put in a cameo playing a certain Kryptonian, then that would be just great.

The Nolan movies are overrated and Ledger was over rated. Yes Mark Hamill is the best Joker and Kevin Conroy is the best Batman.


I agree with the Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy bit, but in my opinion the Nolan movies are by far the best Superhero (or Elseworld) movies ever made. But opinions are just opinions.
I think Black Panther (talk about an overrated Superhero movie, I really liked it but all the praise it gets is a but to much) will score some nods just for being so popular and is considered a ground breaking movie.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 10/29/18 7:59am

RodeoSchro

avatar

Although "Halloween (2018)" made a heck of a push, I still the "The Predator" as Best Picture.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's paladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 10/29/18 12:50pm

kpowers

avatar

JorisE73 said:

kpowers said:

The Nolan movies are overrated and Ledger was over rated. Yes Mark Hamill is the best Joker and Kevin Conroy is the best Batman.


I agree with the Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy bit, but in my opinion the Nolan movies are by far the best Superhero (or Elseworld) movies ever made. But opinions are just opinions.
I think Black Panther (talk about an overrated Superhero movie, I really liked it but all the praise it gets is a but to much) will score some nods just for being so popular and is considered a ground breaking movie.

My opinion the best Super Hero movie ever mad was Batman mask of the phantasm. Yes it is animated but the story and acting is excellent. For live action going with the first 2 Superman movies with Christopher Reeves and the Wonder Woman movie.


[Edited 10/29/18 12:51pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 10/29/18 4:01pm

EmmaMcG

kpowers said:



JorisE73 said:




kpowers said:



The Nolan movies are overrated and Ledger was over rated. Yes Mark Hamill is the best Joker and Kevin Conroy is the best Batman.




I agree with the Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy bit, but in my opinion the Nolan movies are by far the best Superhero (or Elseworld) movies ever made. But opinions are just opinions.
I think Black Panther (talk about an overrated Superhero movie, I really liked it but all the praise it gets is a but to much) will score some nods just for being so popular and is considered a ground breaking movie.



My opinion the best Super Hero movie ever mad was Batman mask of the phantasm. Yes it is animated but the story and acting is excellent. For live action going with the first 2 Superman movies with Christopher Reeves and the Wonder Woman movie.



[Edited 10/29/18 12:51pm]



The Christopher Reeve Superman movies are my favourite live action superhero movies too. Back then, Warner Bros seemed to take Superman seriously. Written by Mario Puzo (The Godfather) and directed by Richard Donner. Starring Gene Hackman and Marlon Brando. John Williams' score is matched only by Danny Elfman's Batman theme as the perfect superhero film score. The movies of the DCEU aren't as bad as critics like to pretend but you can tell that they're rushed, corporate projects that are missing the creative spark of the Donner movies or pretty much any of the DC animated movies.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 10/29/18 4:30pm

gandorb

Typically, most of the movies and performances ithat get nominated are released near the end of the year. I hope that is the case this year, but here are a few of my favorites so far. I haven't seen that many movies this year, so this is limited.

Best Movie

Blackkklansman

The Hate You Give

I also think A Star Is Born might get a nomination if it continues to be a weak year. I liked it but don't necessarily think it deserves a best picture nod.

Best Actor

Bradley Cooper_ A Star is Born (this one is deserved IMO)

John David Washington ( Blackkklansman)

Best Actress

Glenn Close - The Wife

Lady Gaga is often mentioned here, but while she was good she wasn't award worthy except for the music.

Best Supporting Actor

Russell Hornsby - The Hate U Give (orignally I put the Hat U Give, which I would much prefer)

[Edited 10/29/18 17:49pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 10/29/18 5:03pm

Hudson

avatar

Anyone getting Batman the Animated series on blu next month? I watched Christmas with the Joker in hd on DC Universe last night and it looked 👍.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 10/30/18 12:23am

JorisE73

Hudson said:

Anyone getting Batman the Animated series on blu next month? I watched Christmas with the Joker in hd on DC Universe last night and it looked 👍.


If it would be playable on region B then it would be a must buy for me but it seems for nopw it's only region A so not playable for me unless I buy a region free Blu Ray player.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 10/30/18 6:09am

Hudson

avatar

It's also being released in Region B.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/...es+blu+ray
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #56 posted 10/30/18 11:39pm

JorisE73

Hudson said:

It's also being released in Region B. https://www.amazon.co.uk/...es+blu+ray


Great! Now it's on my must have list wink
Thanks for the link! I hadn't checked it for a while so I thouht it was still only getting released in USA.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #57 posted 11/04/18 1:25am

jstar69

Either Carell or Chalamet from Beautiful Boy for best actor

Glenn Close is a real contender for best actress for her work in The Wife
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #58 posted 11/04/18 7:05pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

I’ll add Rami Malek and his portrayal of Freddy Mercury to the list of Best Actor nominees. The movie is an enjoyable mess, but Rami’s Acting is AMAZING!

Based purely on the trailer for his new movie Mule, I would cautiously also add Clint Eastwood to the list as he is also amazing in that trailer.
Crooked Donnie. Lock him up!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #59 posted 11/04/18 11:34pm

JorisE73

I think Toni Collette in Hereditary will get a nom.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 2 <12
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > General Discussion > Your 2018 Oscar picks so far