independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 16th Aug 2018 3:48am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > General Discussion > So how does Valentines Day and Lent work?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 02/13/18 10:58am

morningsong

So how does Valentines Day and Lent work?

I mean if today is Fat Tuesday. Do you eat all your chocolate today and just savor the memory of it tomorrow? Do you even bother going out to dinner on Wednesday?



  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 02/13/18 11:35am

sexton

avatar

I recall when St. Patrick's Day was on a Lenten Friday, the church gave a special allownace to have corned beef on that day. I haven't heard any similar exceptions stated for tomorrow. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 02/13/18 12:50pm

XxAxX

avatar

eat chocolate and then give it up then eat some more?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 02/13/18 4:25pm

TrivialPursuit

Ignore both and enjoy your life daily.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 02/14/18 12:10pm

morningsong

sexton said:

I recall when St. Patrick's Day was on a Lenten Friday, the church gave a special allownace to have corned beef on that day. I haven't heard any similar exceptions stated for tomorrow. lol



So there can be a "give", I was wondering.



  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 02/14/18 12:40pm

Genesia

avatar

There is no rule that you have to give up chocolate for Lent. It's common to make some sort of personal sacrifice, but the Church does not dictate what it should be. You could give up chocolate. Or you could give up alcohol and keep eating chocolate. Or you could give up soda while continuing to eat chocolate and drink alcohol.

It's really just a mindfulness thing. Lent is a time to reflect on Christ's suffering and try to walk (in a very limited way, at least) in his footsteps, before celebrating the risen Lord at Easter. How one does that is up to the individual.

[Edited 2/14/18 12:41pm]

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 02/14/18 2:52pm

morningsong

Genesia said:

There is no rule that you have to give up chocolate for Lent. It's common to make some sort of personal sacrifice, but the Church does not dictate what it should be. You could give up chocolate. Or you could give up alcohol and keep eating chocolate. Or you could give up soda while continuing to eat chocolate and drink alcohol.

It's really just a mindfulness thing. Lent is a time to reflect on Christ's suffering and try to walk (in a very limited way, at least) in his footsteps, before celebrating the risen Lord at Easter. How one does that is up to the individual.

[Edited 2/14/18 12:41pm]



Ah, okay. I think I'm mixing up the whole beignat, fat Tuesday tradition as a thing that every Catholic has to give up everything for Lent.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 02/14/18 3:27pm

sexton

avatar

morningsong said:

Genesia said:

There is no rule that you have to give up chocolate for Lent. It's common to make some sort of personal sacrifice, but the Church does not dictate what it should be. You could give up chocolate. Or you could give up alcohol and keep eating chocolate. Or you could give up soda while continuing to eat chocolate and drink alcohol.

It's really just a mindfulness thing. Lent is a time to reflect on Christ's suffering and try to walk (in a very limited way, at least) in his footsteps, before celebrating the risen Lord at Easter. How one does that is up to the individual.

[Edited 2/14/18 12:41pm]



Ah, okay. I think I'm mixing up the whole beignat, fat Tuesday tradition as a thing that every Catholic has to give up everything for Lent.


Ash Wednesday though is the same as Lenten Fridays--no meat. So if your significant other offers to take you out for or better yet cook you a steak dinner on Valentine's Day, you'll have to decline/postpone if you want to adhere to Lenten practices.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 02/14/18 4:40pm

EmmaMcG

I'm not one for Lent (or any religious practices for that matter) but this thread seems as good as any to wish you all a happy Valentines day. smile
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 02/14/18 5:02pm

morningsong

sexton said:

morningsong said:



Ah, okay. I think I'm mixing up the whole beignat, fat Tuesday tradition as a thing that every Catholic has to give up everything for Lent.


Ash Wednesday though is the same as Lenten Fridays--no meat. So if your significant other offers to take you out for or better yet cook you a steak dinner on Valentine's Day, you'll have to decline/postpone if you want to adhere to Lenten practices.



Isn't that every Friday?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 02/14/18 5:06pm

morningsong

EmmaMcG said:

I'm not one for Lent (or any religious practices for that matter) but this thread seems as good as any to wish you all a happy Valentines day. smile




Happy Valentine's Day to you too.






I think I got a bit confused looking at certain traditions involved in Mardi Gras without taking into consideration that N.O. is the only place I know of in the US that actually has a major celebration at this time tied to (pre) Lent.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 02/14/18 7:03pm

sexton

avatar

morningsong said:

sexton said:


Ash Wednesday though is the same as Lenten Fridays--no meat. So if your significant other offers to take you out for or better yet cook you a steak dinner on Valentine's Day, you'll have to decline/postpone if you want to adhere to Lenten practices.



Isn't that every Friday?


Every Friday during Lent.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 02/14/18 7:29pm

morningsong

sexton said:

morningsong said:



Isn't that every Friday?


Every Friday during Lent.



I did not know that.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 02/19/18 9:38am

namepeace

sexton said:

I recall when St. Patrick's Day was on a Lenten Friday, the church gave a special allownace to have corned beef on that day. I haven't heard any similar exceptions stated for tomorrow. lol


That was just last year. Arguably, the most important day of Lent is the first day, so I doubt many dispensations were handed out last week.

Good night, sweet Prince | 7 June 1958 - 21 April 2016

Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 02/19/18 11:33am

Genesia

avatar

morningsong said:

sexton said:


Every Friday during Lent.



I did not know that.


That's how the Friday fish fry became an institution in Wisconsin.

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 02/23/18 9:30am

Cinny

avatar

When I was 13, I gave up listening to my Diana Ross box set for Lent. rainbow

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 02/23/18 9:47am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

Lent is when Christians humble themselves, by not eating fancy food or drinking or smoking or doing fancy shit or doing public service. I am more for public service.

Valentines day is an excuse to make money for sexual favors.

"My motherfucker's so cool sheep count him."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 02/23/18 10:09am

morningsong

Grew up in church most of my life never had a Lent. Granted, pretty much everything except meat and sugar was supposedly off the table everyday of every year anyway so what was the point setting aside a certain time for giving those things up. Fasting, now that was a big deal.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 02/23/18 11:55am

morningsong

Taadaa! Problem solved.


  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 02/23/18 2:10pm

TrivialPursuit

Cinny said:

When I was 13, I gave up listening to my Diana Ross box set for Lent. rainbow


You still did this in private though:



This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 02/26/18 11:44am

Cinny

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:

Cinny said:

When I was 13, I gave up listening to my Diana Ross box set for Lent. rainbow


You still did this in private though:


[rick astley wuz here]


lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 02/28/18 8:38am

namepeace

Genesia said:

morningsong said:



I did not know that.


That's how the Friday fish fry became an institution in Wisconsin.


It was every Friday, but I think that ended sometime around or after Vatican II.

Good night, sweet Prince | 7 June 1958 - 21 April 2016

Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > General Discussion > So how does Valentines Day and Lent work?