independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Announcement for a new release in 2023?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 11/15/22 10:56am

BIGJAYRAFFAS

Announcement for a new release in 2023?

I'm pretty sure everyone has now given up hope for any new "new" release this year now that we are half way into November, but what do you think the chances are of an announcement regarding a 2023 release before the year is out? the hit's re-issue it out and there is nothing much to promote other than a calendar

[Edited 11/15/22 10:57am]

The Orger formally known as JAYJOE
"He might have better luck if he was drumming with his dick"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 11/15/22 11:03am

paisleyparkgir
l

Slim to none.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 11/15/22 11:07am

LILpoundCAKE

avatar

I hope I'm wrong, but somehow it feels like we will have to wait until march or april
before they come with something new.

Before that time someone outside the official camp might throw us a few scraps tho.

"if U're lookin' 4 dirt look in Ur own back yard / plant some peace flowers in Ur warzone so I can fire my bodyguards."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 11/15/22 11:30am

FrankieCoco1

I think there is more chance of a Prince related concert type thing, e.g. with the NPG or The Revolution (or both) playing along to a big video screen of Prince singing, than there is of a physical/digital release of new/unheard music. That or the Netflix documentary, possibly in July 2023, are what are within my expectations for the foreseeable.

As an aside, I saw an exchange that Dr Funkenberry had on Facebook saying that before the estate was settled, the next SDE might have been near ready to go but it was a hodge podge of D&P with the so called ‘Love Symbol’ album having 8 discs/vinyls of edits/mixes and would have been eye wateringly expensive. The change (after last summer’s settlement), stopping that coming out might have been a blessing, if the information is true. Better to have an SDE, or at least just a deluxe, per album in my book.
[Edited 11/15/22 11:31am]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 11/15/22 1:13pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

LILpoundCAKE said:

I hope I'm wrong, but somehow it feels like we will have to wait until march or april
before they come with something new.

Before that time someone outside the official camp might throw us a few scraps tho.


The spring announcement is a very fair assessment. Time will tell, of course.

I really believe that SOTT was so huge and so expected, that it needed a year to really saturate and permeate the market; settle into it. The Syracuse set was sort of a caveat to have a release in 2022, because it was so well known, loved, and barked about with the sound issues. The improved set did not disappoint, nor did SOTT SDE.

It's just a moment to breathe, I believe. Fans want everything right now. But this is still a business, not a universal drive for the estate to just dole shit out. Care has been taken in these sets (overtime, they've gotten better, obviously).

So 2023, I believe, will see at least one SDE, possibly two (the second being this time of year).

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 11/15/22 1:38pm

BIGJAYRAFFAS

TrivialPursuit said:

LILpoundCAKE said:

I hope I'm wrong, but somehow it feels like we will have to wait until march or april
before they come with something new.

Before that time someone outside the official camp might throw us a few scraps tho.


The spring announcement is a very fair assessment. Time will tell, of course.

I really believe that SOTT was so huge and so expected, that it needed a year to really saturate and permeate the market; settle into it. The Syracuse set was sort of a caveat to have a release in 2022, because it was so well known, loved, and barked about with the sound issues. The improved set did not disappoint, nor did SOTT SDE.

It's just a moment to breathe, I believe. Fans want everything right now. But this is still a business, not a universal drive for the estate to just dole shit out. Care has been taken in these sets (overtime, they've gotten better, obviously).

So 2023, I believe, will see at least one SDE, possibly two (the second being this time of year).

I think most people would be more than happy with that!

I also agree with a spring announcement, my reason for this thread was does anyone think an announcement for a such a thing could come this year? I just think even seeing a tracklist and it's contents would keep people excited..... SOTT SDE announcement was quite a few months before IIRC

The Orger formally known as JAYJOE
"He might have better luck if he was drumming with his dick"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 11/15/22 5:44pm

Apollo85

Am I the only one that feels hopeless about the Prince Netflix documentary? I mean I'm sure it will come out one day but don't be shocked if 2023 rolls by and no documentary arrives. Netflix needs to roll out a marketing campaign and the fact we have nothing yet tells me it ain't happening in the summer. So maybe...Fall 2023? If that's the case, I GUESS an announcement would be the spring? Who knows.

I'll throw this out there as well. We're 2 years away from the 40th anniversary year of Purple Rain. If you're the Estate or Netflix, why not just punt the doc to 2024 to really cash in on the 40th anniversary buzz?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 11/15/22 6:37pm

LoveGalore

Apollo85 said:

Am I the only one that feels hopeless about the Prince Netflix documentary? I mean I'm sure it will come out one day but don't be shocked if 2023 rolls by and no documentary arrives. Netflix needs to roll out a marketing campaign and the fact we have nothing yet tells me it ain't happening in the summer. So maybe...Fall 2023? If that's the case, I GUESS an announcement would be the spring? Who knows.



I'll throw this out there as well. We're 2 years away from the 40th anniversary year of Purple Rain. If you're the Estate or Netflix, why not just punt the doc to 2024 to really cash in on the 40th anniversary buzz?



Agreed, it would make sense to drop the SDE, the doc, and the 83 show all in 2024. But recent habits suggest they aren't too concerned with lining releases up that way. In my mind, 2019 should've started with For You but whatever.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 11/16/22 1:53am

LILpoundCAKE

avatar

The netflix docu will be ready to go right when a new sde is planned so that there
can be conflicting interests and release schedules between the companies involved
so that we will have to wait and wonder for a while until we finally get no sde but
the netflix docu which will then be a huge let down.

I mean, come on people, how long have we been fans here, this ain't our first time
at the rodeo.


"if U're lookin' 4 dirt look in Ur own back yard / plant some peace flowers in Ur warzone so I can fire my bodyguards."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 11/16/22 10:56am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

Making a documentary is no small task, people. Every little shot has to be cleared, edited, maybe color corrected, etc. It's so fucking tedious. The end result is worth it, but the process is painstakingly slow.

Also, a documentary isn't just a lot of clips. It has to have a narrative, a storyline, a beginning, middle, and end. What is the story they want to tell? It's safe to say they don't want to go down the REELZ channel route of gossipy trash. They want to tell the truth, highlight his talent, but talk about the human side of him.

I'm not sure I'd wanna undertake that task. But the right person can do it.

In short: It. Takes. Time.

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 11/16/22 11:18am

LoveGalore

TrivialPursuit said:

Making a documentary is no small task, people. Every little shot has to be cleared, edited, maybe color corrected, etc. It's so fucking tedious. The end result is worth it, but the process is painstakingly slow.

Also, a documentary isn't just a lot of clips. It has to have a narrative, a storyline, a beginning, middle, and end. What is the story they want to tell? It's safe to say they don't want to go down the REELZ channel route of gossipy trash. They want to tell the truth, highlight his talent, but talk about the human side of him.

I'm not sure I'd wanna undertake that task. But the right person can do it.

In short: It. Takes. Time.



It's not just a person doing it, though.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 11/16/22 11:30am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

LoveGalore said:

TrivialPursuit said:

Making a documentary is no small task, people. Every little shot has to be cleared, edited, maybe color corrected, etc. It's so fucking tedious. The end result is worth it, but the process is painstakingly slow.

Also, a documentary isn't just a lot of clips. It has to have a narrative, a storyline, a beginning, middle, and end. What is the story they want to tell? It's safe to say they don't want to go down the REELZ channel route of gossipy trash. They want to tell the truth, highlight his talent, but talk about the human side of him.

I'm not sure I'd wanna undertake that task. But the right person can do it.

In short: It. Takes. Time.

It's not just a person doing it, though.


Yeah. And honestly - thank God for it. It needs various POVs. But with a team, it takes even longer.

I sorta wish Spike Lee had gotten in there to work on it. Although, would we have seen the dark parts? Would Lee just created a more glowing doc of him as he did with MJ? The MJ stuff was super fun and great. But honestly - I wanna know what MJ did between Thriller and BAD. What was he doing? What changes did he go through (besides the obvious)? Get to that part of an artist.

Can you even imagine how the Org is going to explode when it comes out? hahahaha

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 11/16/22 11:55am

LoveGalore

TrivialPursuit said:



LoveGalore said:


TrivialPursuit said:

Making a documentary is no small task, people. Every little shot has to be cleared, edited, maybe color corrected, etc. It's so fucking tedious. The end result is worth it, but the process is painstakingly slow.

Also, a documentary isn't just a lot of clips. It has to have a narrative, a storyline, a beginning, middle, and end. What is the story they want to tell? It's safe to say they don't want to go down the REELZ channel route of gossipy trash. They want to tell the truth, highlight his talent, but talk about the human side of him.

I'm not sure I'd wanna undertake that task. But the right person can do it.

In short: It. Takes. Time.



It's not just a person doing it, though.


Yeah. And honestly - thank God for it. It needs various POVs. But with a team, it takes even longer.

I sorta wish Spike Lee had gotten in there to work on it. Although, would we have seen the dark parts? Would Lee just created a more glowing doc of him as he did with MJ? The MJ stuff was super fun and great. But honestly - I wanna know what MJ did between Thriller and BAD. What was he doing? What changes did he go through (besides the obvious)? Get to that part of an artist.

Can you even imagine how the Org is going to explode when it comes out? hahahaha



Dude.

There will be long Fenwick-style dissertations on the veracity of every single moment.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 11/16/22 11:59am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

LoveGalore said:

TrivialPursuit said:

Can you even imagine how the Org is going to explode when it comes out? hahahaha

Dude. There will be long Fenwick-style dissertations on the veracity of every single moment.


You should hear the phone calls between Fenwick and I. We need a podcast. hahahaha He's a solid dude and truly loves music. He's one of the only people I know where I can dissect music and get enjoyment from going down those roads.

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 11/16/22 2:58pm

FrankieCoco1

TrivialPursuit said, “It's safe to say they don't want to go down the REELZ channel route of gossipy trash.”

I wouldn’t be so sure about that, the delays may be because it’s not showing Prince in a good way, and the estate are not sanctioning it until changes are made.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 11/16/22 5:59pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

FrankieCoco1 said:

TrivialPursuit said, “It's safe to say they don't want to go down the REELZ channel route of gossipy trash.”

I wouldn’t be so sure about that, the delays may be because it’s not showing Prince in a good way, and the estate are not sanctioning it until changes are made.


That's mostly hyperbole at this point since none of us know one damn thing about what is in the documentary.

Shoulda coulda woulda

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 11/16/22 6:47pm

bozojones

Nah, the estate is too busy tripping over their own shoelaces to even think about announcing anything of actual interest

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 11/17/22 4:14am

love2thenines2
003

BIGJAYRAFFAS said:

I'm pretty sure everyone has now given up hope for any new "new" release this year now that we are half way into November, but what do you think the chances are of an announcement regarding a 2023 release before the year is out? the hit's re-issue it out and there is nothing much to promote other than a calendar

[Edited 11/15/22 10:57am]

...we have a friend here who said these past weeks ......A BIG BIG THINg is COMING.....SOMETHING BIG he said...D&Pearls BIG SDE was on the way....he told us for sure....the release was ready for september...then....October....& November and on & on....ask him ...sure he will give u what's coming next....he is an insider...some1 with big big contacts.......the best among us.........the FUTURE is shining !!!!

Peace

[Edited 11/17/22 4:16am]

Source early september !!

love2thenines2003 said:


Landonfunkmonkey said:


Something Big Is Coming. Mark my words.

this is what u said for last friday based on rumours as u said.....so maybe next friday in september 2023 or 2024 or 2025 ....there will be a winner somewhere between these periods ....cool....what a scoop !

This is ur words about what u had announced few days ago just some post after>>>> " I too am doubtful"

.....i think u need to clear ur assumptions if not u will be considered as some1 desperately wants to be relebant ??



I'm in the know unlike you.

[Edited 11/17/22 4:22am]

[Edited 11/17/22 4:24am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 11/17/22 4:35am

Landonfunkmonk
ey

biggrin
Something BIG Is Coming.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 11/17/22 6:42am

madison

DP on vinyl … don’t get get your hopes up for anything unreleased!

The estate is looking for something for fast cash 💰 on prince behalf

I love concert bootlegs on DVD feel free to reach out to me .. I would a DVD on the sound and video on prince 1983 concert
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 11/17/22 7:58am

LoveGalore

madison said:

DP on vinyl … don’t get get your hopes up for anything unreleased!

The estate is looking for something for fast cash 💰 on prince behalf

I love concert bootlegs on DVD feel free to reach out to me .. I would a DVD on the sound and video on prince 1983 concert


See, it's folks like you who say ridiculous stuff like this that winds people up. There's never been any indication that unreleased stuff won't come out. I don't even care what any of his siblings have stated on social media. Though the siblings sometimes get this confused, they aren't authorities on much and if primary wave wants to release unreleased stuff they absolutely will because we also know the labels desperately want to.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 11/17/22 9:02am

cb70

love2thenines2003 said:

BIGJAYRAFFAS said:

I'm pretty sure everyone has now given up hope for any new "new" release this year now that we are half way into November, but what do you think the chances are of an announcement regarding a 2023 release before the year is out? the hit's re-issue it out and there is nothing much to promote other than a calendar

[Edited 11/15/22 10:57am]

...we have a friend here who said these past weeks ......A BIG BIG THINg is COMING.....SOMETHING BIG he said...D&Pearls BIG SDE was on the way....he told us for sure....the release was ready for september...then....October....& November and on & on....ask him ...sure he will give u what's coming next....he is an insider...some1 with big big contacts.......the best among us.........the FUTURE is shining !!!!

Peace

[Edited 11/17/22 4:16am]

Source early september !!

love2thenines2003 said:


Landonfunkmonkey said:


Something Big Is Coming. Mark my words.

this is what u said for last friday based on rumours as u said.....so maybe next friday in september 2023 or 2024 or 2025 ....there will be a winner somewhere between these periods ....cool....what a scoop !

This is ur words about what u had announced few days ago just some post after>>>> " I too am doubtful"

.....i think u need to clear ur assumptions if not u will be considered as some1 desperately wants to be relebant ??



I'm in the know unlike you.

[Edited 11/17/22 4:22am]

[Edited 11/17/22 4:24am]

Oh look, the idiot is still playing the same game.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 11/17/22 9:11am

madison

LoveGalore said:

madison said:

DP on vinyl … don’t get get your hopes up for anything unreleased!

The estate is looking for something for fast cash 💰 on prince behalf

I love concert bootlegs on DVD feel free to reach out to me .. I would a DVD on the sound and video on prince 1983 concert


See, it's folks like you who say ridiculous stuff like this that winds people up. There's never been any indication that unreleased stuff won't come out. I don't even care what any of his siblings have stated on social media. Though the siblings sometimes get this confused, they aren't authorities on much and if primary wave wants to release unreleased stuff they absolutely will because we also know the labels desperately want to.




You are racist saying it’s “folks like you “ … I love this new generation
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 11/17/22 9:11am

LOSTPASSWORDMA
N

I haven't bought anything P related since Welcome 2 America, if they want any more of my money before I die, they better start releasing the vault jams!!!!!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 11/17/22 9:13am

madison

LOSTPASSWORDMAN said:

I haven't bought anything P related since Welcome 2 America, if they want any more of my money before I die, they better start releasing the vault jams!!!!!


It’s all on YouTube save you some money and getting your hopes hope
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 11/17/22 9:33am

Landonfunkmonk
ey

cb70 said:



love2thenines2003 said:




BIGJAYRAFFAS said:


I'm pretty sure everyone has now given up hope for any new "new" release this year now that we are half way into November, but what do you think the chances are of an announcement regarding a 2023 release before the year is out? the hit's re-issue it out and there is nothing much to promote other than a calendar


[Edited 11/15/22 10:57am]





...we have a friend here who said these past weeks .....A BIG BIG THINg is COMING.....SOMETHING BIG he said...D&Pearls BIG SDE was on the way....he told us for sure....the release was ready for september...then....October....& November and on & on....ask him ...sure he will give u what's coming next....he is an insider...some1 with big big contacts.....the best among us.....the FUTURE is shining !!!!




Peace


[Edited 11/17/22 4:16am]



Source early september !!



love2thenines2003 said:






Landonfunkmonkey said:



Something Big Is Coming. Mark my words.






this is what u said for last friday based on rumours as u said.....so maybe next friday in september 2023 or 2024 or 2025 ....there will be a winner somewhere between these periods ....cool....what a scoop !







This is ur words about what u had announced few days ago just some post after>>>> " I too am doubtful"



.....i think u need to clear ur assumptions if not u will be considered as some1 desperately wants to be relebant ??






I'm in the know unlike you.


[Edited 11/17/22 4:22am]


[Edited 11/17/22 4:24am]




Oh look, the idiot is still playing the same game.




cool
Something BIG Is Coming.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 11/17/22 9:36am

love2thenines2
003

cb70 said:



love2thenines2003 said:




BIGJAYRAFFAS said:


I'm pretty sure everyone has now given up hope for any new "new" release this year now that we are half way into November, but what do you think the chances are of an announcement regarding a 2023 release before the year is out? the hit's re-issue it out and there is nothing much to promote other than a calendar


[Edited 11/15/22 10:57am]





...we have a friend here who said these past weeks .....A BIG BIG THINg is COMING.....SOMETHING BIG he said...D&Pearls BIG SDE was on the way....he told us for sure....the release was ready for september...then....October....& November and on & on....ask him ...sure he will give u what's coming next....he is an insider...some1 with big big contacts.....the best among us.....the FUTURE is shining !!!!




Peace


[Edited 11/17/22 4:16am]



Source early september !!



love2thenines2003 said:






Landonfunkmonkey said:



Something Big Is Coming. Mark my words.






this is what u said for last friday based on rumours as u said.....so maybe next friday in september 2023 or 2024 or 2025 ....there will be a winner somewhere between these periods ....cool....what a scoop !







This is ur words about what u had announced few days ago just some post after>>>> " I too am doubtful"



.....i think u need to clear ur assumptions if not u will be considered as some1 desperately wants to be relebant ??






I'm in the know unlike you.


[Edited 11/17/22 4:22am]


[Edited 11/17/22 4:24am]




Oh look, the idiot is still playing the same game.



Yes ...as others here...we are a perfect team of idiots!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 11/17/22 9:38am

LoveGalore

madison said:

LoveGalore said:



See, it's folks like you who say ridiculous stuff like this that winds people up. There's never been any indication that unreleased stuff won't come out. I don't even care what any of his siblings have stated on social media. Though the siblings sometimes get this confused, they aren't authorities on much and if primary wave wants to release unreleased stuff they absolutely will because we also know the labels desperately want to.




You are racist saying it’s “folks like you “ … I love this new generation


Take your meds.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 11/17/22 11:42am

madison

Take my meds lol … naaa I am good bro ….

Calm down … can’t we all just some good prince laughs on the count of the estate
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 11/17/22 12:02pm

LoveGalore

madison said:

Take my meds lol … naaa I am good bro ….

Calm down … can’t we all just some good prince laughs on the count of the estate


Tell a joke first and then we can laugh.

Until then, spreading cryptic rumors in a place where people likely believe you is just called lying.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Announcement for a new release in 2023?