independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Just My Imagination Small Club Vs Los Angeles 1988.
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 01/13/22 1:17pm

Wolfie87

Just My Imagination Small Club Vs Los Angeles 1988.

I've started to analyze both songs and which one I prefer. And to be honest it's a straight up 50/50 for me. Depends on my mood and what I want to seek out in the specific song.

Small Club have a legendary guitar Solo and such a clear soundboard. The quality is stunning.

LA on the other hand has that breathing synth line in the background that is more in the forefront and just oozes smoothness. His singing is way better and the inclusion of Noon Rendezvous is just fantastic.

I just ADORE both versions and it will be a treat when YouTube reaction videos listen to Small Club for the first time since it got way more views.

Thoughts?
[Edited 1/13/22 13:18pm]
[Edited 1/13/22 13:19pm]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 01/14/22 4:27pm

KoolEaze

avatar

I like both but I much prefer the LA version. The singing and guitar playing are just beautiful and I can never get enough of Prince singing Noon Rendezvous and absolutely love how he interpolates it in the L.A rendition. I don´t like the audience noise, it´s very annoying and ruins my enjoyment a bit. The slow tempo and the way he sings are so, so beautiful.

Definitely something I´d love to have in soundboard quality.

" I´d rather be a stank ass hoe because I´m not stupid. Oh my goodness! I got more drugs! I´m always funny dude...I´m hilarious! Are we gonna smoke?"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 01/15/22 6:48am

muleFunk

avatar

The Small Club version hits my soul.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 01/16/22 6:21am

Jerky

avatar

Just My Imagination from Camden Palace ‘88 is the best one.
“Tuna, you better do something or else we gonna have to put you back in the can!”
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 01/16/22 1:24pm

Marrk

avatar

Small Club is all about the guitar. Always felt the vocal performance was piss weak. Not heard the other.

Yeah, we'll, we'll try to imagine what silence looks like.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 01/17/22 5:58am

seanski

avatar

Small Club for the win!!!! headbang

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 01/17/22 6:24am

Wolfie87

Marrk said:

Small Club is all about the guitar. Always felt the vocal performance was piss weak. Not heard the other.



It's not hard to find. Just search Just My Imagination/Noon Rendezvous.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 01/18/22 10:13pm

2004Fan

Wolfie87 said:

I've started to analyze both songs and which one I prefer. And to be honest it's a straight up 50/50 for me. Depends on my mood and what I want to seek out in the specific song.

Small Club have a legendary guitar Solo and such a clear soundboard. The quality is stunning.

LA on the other hand has that breathing synth line in the background that is more in the forefront and just oozes smoothness. His singing is way better and the inclusion of Noon Rendezvous is just fantastic.

I just ADORE both versions and it will be a treat when YouTube reaction videos listen to Small Club for the first time since it got way more views.

Thoughts?
[Edited 1/13/22 13:18pm]
[Edited 1/13/22 13:19pm]


I completely agree with you!
I am here! Where R U?! Gotta broken heart again...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 01/18/22 11:34pm

claudemorton

"Sitting in this cafe, waiting 4 my baby..." for the win! I love them all though.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 01/22/22 5:09am

roverlo

avatar

And what about the versions of New York (2nd October 1988) or San Francisco (10th November 1988) and the dirtiest of them all (I just want to meet you, take of your clothes and eat you)?

The LA version is my fav though... though the soundquality of Small Club is hard to beat

[Edited 1/22/22 5:11am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 01/22/22 5:51am

KoolEaze

avatar

roverlo said:

And what about the versions of New York (2nd October 1988) or San Francisco (10th November 1988) and the dirtiest of them all (I just want to meet you, take of your clothes and eat you)?

The LA version is my fav though... though the soundquality of Small Club is hard to beat

[Edited 1/22/22 5:11am]

Never even heard about those in all these years. Thanks for the info, need to look them up now.

The LA one is my favorite but the audience noise ruins it for me.

" I´d rather be a stank ass hoe because I´m not stupid. Oh my goodness! I got more drugs! I´m always funny dude...I´m hilarious! Are we gonna smoke?"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 01/22/22 6:15am

roverlo

avatar

KoolEaze said:

roverlo said:

And what about the versions of New York (2nd October 1988) or San Francisco (10th November 1988) and the dirtiest of them all (I just want to meet you, take of your clothes and eat you)?

The LA version is my fav though... though the soundquality of Small Club is hard to beat

[Edited 1/22/22 5:11am]

Never even heard about those in all these years. Thanks for the info, need to look them up now.

The LA one is my favorite but the audience noise ruins it for me.

The audience noise increases the joy for me. As if I'm there... smile

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 01/24/22 5:08am

JorisE73

roverlo said:

And what about the versions of New York (2nd October 1988) or San Francisco (10th November 1988) and the dirtiest of them all (I just want to meet you, take of your clothes and eat you)?

The LA version is my fav though... though the soundquality of Small Club is hard to beat

[Edited 1/22/22 5:11am]


The Small Club version is my favorite with LA being a extremely close second and New York third.
I always thougt the San Fransisco one was the most lacking because of Sheila E's not so inspired drumming compared the others where she just cuts loose and at 't Paard and LA she just slays.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Just My Imagination Small Club Vs Los Angeles 1988.