independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Ranking Tracks from the Black Album and Lovesexy
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 01/09/22 10:47am

runningbear

Ranking Tracks from the Black Album and Lovesexy

Best to Worst

1 Le Grind

2 Cindy C

3 2 Nigs United For West Compton

4 Anna Stesia

5 Alphabet St

6 When 2 R in Love

7 Rock Hard In a Funky Place

8 I Wish U Heaven

9 Positivity

10 Superfunkycalifragisexy

11 Glam Slam

12 Bob George

13 Lovesexy

14 Eye No

15 Dance On

16 Dead On It

merf
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 01/09/22 11:40am

funkaholic1972

avatar

1 Rock Hard In a Funky Place

2 Le Grind

3 Lovesexy

4 Cindy C

5 Eye No

6 Bob George

7 Anna Stesia

8 Alphabet St

9 Positivity

10 When 2 R in Love

11 Superfunkycalifragisexy

12 Dead On It

13 2 Nigs United For West Compton

14 Dance On

15 Glam Slam

16 I Wish U Heaven

RIP Prince: thank U 4 a funky Time...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 01/09/22 2:17pm

hyperpessimist

1 Lovesexy
2 2 Nigs United For West Compton
3 Cindy C
4 Bob George
5 Anna Stesia
6 Le Grind
7 Superfunkycalifragisexy
8 Rock Hard In a Funky Place
9 Alphabet St
10 Dead On It
11 Eye No
12 Glam Slam
13 Dance On
14 When 2 R in Love
15 I Wish U Heaven
16 Positivity

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 01/09/22 2:23pm

Vannormal

-

1. Bob George

2. Lovesexy

3. When 2 R In Love

4. Le Grind

5. Cindy C.

6. I Wish U heaven

7. Dead On It

8. Glam Slam

9. Dance On

10. 2 Nigs United 4 West Compton

11. Alphabet St.

12. Superfunkycalifragisexy

13. Eye No

14. Rock Hard In A funky Place

15. Anna Stecia

16. Positivity

-

Very hard to rate all these great songs by the way - and it's my favorite era too.

Even the so called weakest songs have their role to play.

So i'll rate it like this, since you asked for one. wink

...

These aren't ratings to me though, it was a playlist I made

of both albums, a long time ago.

I smoothly blended these songs into one another.

I called it my own ''BlackLovesexy'' album.

Actually I ended this list with ''Escape'' and ''I Wish You Heaven (pts II and III)'',

and after ''Dance on'' and ''2 Nigs...'' i had ''Scarlet Pussy'' up there too.

-

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves.
And wiser people so full of doubts"
(Bertrand Russsell 1872-1972)
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 01/09/22 2:25pm

lurker316

avatar


This is really difficult. I absolutely love both of these albums from start to finish. There are no songs I dislike or skip expcet perhaps 2 Nigs (mainly because it's an instrumental).

  1. Cindy C.
  2. Rock Hard In A Funky Place
  3. Eye No
  4. Le Grind
  5. Lovesexy
  6. I Wish U Heaven
  7. When 2 R In Love
  8. Alphebet Street
  9. Anna Stesia
  10. Positivity
  11. Glam Slam
  12. Dead On It
  13. Superfunkycalifragisexy
  14. Bob George
  15. Dance On
  16. 2 Nigs United 4 West Compton




 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 01/09/22 2:59pm

jdcxc

1 Lovesexy

2 Le Grind

3 Rock Hard

4 Alphabet St

5 Cindy C

6 Eye No

7 Superfunkycali

8 Glam Slam

9 When 2

10 Anna

11 2 Nigs

12 I Wish U Heaven

13 Dance On

14 Bob George

15 Positivity

16 Dead On It

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 01/09/22 5:14pm

LoveGalore

1. Bob George
2. I Know
3. Lovesexy
4. Cindy C
5. Le Grind
6. I Wish U Heaven
7. Glam Slam
8. Positivity
9. Dance On
10. Anna Stesia
11. When 2 R in Love
12. Rockhard in a Funky Place
13. Superfunkycalifragisexy
14. Alphabet St.
15. 2 Nigs United 4 West Compton
16. Dead On It
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 01/10/22 5:23am

Poplife88

avatar

1. Le Grind

2. Cindy C

3. Superfunkycalifragisexy

4. Anna stesia

5. Rock Hard in a Funky Place

6. Alphabet St

7. Lovesexy

8. When 2 R in Love

9. I wish U Heaven

10. Positvity

11. Bob George

12. Dance On

13. Dead on It

14. 2 Nigs United 4 West Compton

15. I know

16. Glam Slam

We're gonna need a bigger boat
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 01/10/22 5:25am

SchlomoThaHomo

avatar

The whole of Lovesexy is better than the Black Album for me, and I don't know that I like any of the songs more than the other. I always listen to the whole thing.

Eye No

Alphabet St.

Glam Slam

Anna Stesia

Dance On

Lovesexy

When 2 R In Love

I Wish U Heaven

Positivity

Le Grind

Dead On It

Superfunkycalifragisexy

Cindy C

Rock Hard In A Funky Place

Bob George

2 Nigs United 4 West Compton

Speaking of Le Grind: I was looking up some lyrics the other day and noticed most of the lyric sites claim the line is, "Ce soir, la chantez, all night long," which is "Tonight, sing it, all night long," but I don't hear an 'n' in chantez, and to me it sounds like "Ce soir, la chatte, all night long," which is "Tonight, the pussy (cat), all night long." Any French speakers here have an opinion on that lyric?

"That's when stars collide. When there's space for what u want, and ur heart is open wide."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 01/10/22 8:08am

Romeoblu

1 Lovesexy
2 Rock Hard In A Funky Place
3 I Wish U Heaven
4 Glam Slam
5 Bob George
6 Superfunkicalifragisexy
7 Anna Stesia
8 Positivity
9 Dance On
10 Cindy C
11 Le Grind
12 When 2 R In Love
13 2 Nigs United 4 West Compton
14 Alphabet St
15 Eye Know
16 Dead On it.

All fantastic songs.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 01/10/22 8:24am

Vannormal

SchlomoThaHomo said:

The whole of Lovesexy is better than the Black Album for me, and I don't know that I like any of the songs more than the other. I always listen to the whole thing.

Eye No

Alphabet St.

Glam Slam

Anna Stesia

Dance On

Lovesexy

When 2 R In Love

I Wish U Heaven

Positivity

Le Grind

Dead On It

Superfunkycalifragisexy

Cindy C

Rock Hard In A Funky Place

Bob George

2 Nigs United 4 West Compton

Speaking of Le Grind: I was looking up some lyrics the other day and noticed most of the lyric sites claim the line is, "Ce soir, la chantez, all night long," which is "Tonight, sing it, all night long," but I don't hear an 'n' in chantez, and to me it sounds like "Ce soir, la chatte, all night long," which is "Tonight, the pussy (cat), all night long." Any French speakers here have an opinion on that lyric?

Thought exactly the same.

I'm not French speaking, but I speak french, and I can here that too.

And ''la chatte'' is a cat indeed, although the ''e'' is not always pronounced.

...depends where you are.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves.
And wiser people so full of doubts"
(Bertrand Russsell 1872-1972)
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 01/10/22 8:26am

SantanaMaitrey
a

I always thought of Lovesexy as a concept album rather than a collection of songs. I don't find the individual songs all that special, but together, they become more than the sum of their parts.
Same with the Black Album, which is just a collection of funk jams.
So there's no point in ranking them. Just enjoy the trip.
If you take any of this seriously, you're a bigger fool than I am.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 01/10/22 9:33am

LoveGalore

SantanaMaitreya said:

I always thought of Lovesexy as a concept album rather than a collection of songs. I don't find the individual songs all that special, but together, they become more than the sum of their parts.
Same with the Black Album, which is just a collection of funk jams.
So there's no point in ranking them. Just enjoy the trip.


?

The point is to identify the songs you like most. It isn't about the work as a whole. He performed the songs individually live, released individual videos and singles, etc.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 01/10/22 9:35am

Poplife88

avatar

SantanaMaitreya said:

I always thought of Lovesexy as a concept album rather than a collection of songs. I don't find the individual songs all that special, but together, they become more than the sum of their parts. Same with the Black Album, which is just a collection of funk jams. So there's no point in ranking them. Just enjoy the trip.

Well said. I do like some songs better than others (as I listed above). But I have had these two albums together for as long as I can remember. Back when the Black album was just a boot, one side of the cassette with TBA the other Lovesexy and they play really well as one continuous double album.

We're gonna need a bigger boat
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 01/10/22 11:40am

ufoclub

avatar

The one track I might skip over on a listen is shared by both albums.

But I also don't really get into "Glam Slam" much.

Overall I am a Black Album addict. I just love the sound, sequence, and concept of it, with all the talkiing, personalities and details. I think the arrangements and mixing is just intense, interesting, and works to create a cohesive album mood.

And it was just slap your face startling in context of what Madonna and Michael Jackson were doing at that time. You know his pop peers at that time.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 01/10/22 11:51am

emesem

Tough one as I usually listen to both of these as albums. The stand out tracks to me are:

I Wish U Ueaven, Alphabet Street, Bob George, Anna Stesia, Superfunky

The rest each have interesting features. I dont skip them nor will i go out of my to play them.

The only real clunker is Dead On It.

[Edited 1/10/22 11:51am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 01/10/22 11:58am

nayroo2002

avatar

2 NIGS UNITED 4 WEST COMPTON

ALPHABET ST.

.

then the rest...

"Whatever skin Ur in
we all need 2 b friends"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 01/10/22 1:06pm

TrevorAyer

eye no

when 2 r in love

cindy c

le grind

rock hawd

alphabet st

i wish u heaven

super funky

bob george

2 nigs

dead on it

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 01/10/22 1:23pm

funkaholic1972

avatar

ufoclub said:

The one track I might skip over on a listen is shared by both albums.

But I also don't really get into "Glam Slam" much.

Overall I am a Black Album addict. I just love the sound, sequence, and concept of it, with all the talkiing, personalities and details. I think the arrangements and mixing is just intense, interesting, and works to create a cohesive album mood.

And it was just slap your face startling in context of what Madonna and Michael Jackson were doing at that time. You know his pop peers at that time.

Yeah I had that with When 2 R In Love too, but in recent years I have a newfound appreciation for this song. Nowadays I mostly let it spin.

Glam Slam was never a favorite of mine either, the chorus is jarring IMO. I do like the instrumental part with the violins (near the end iirc?) though.

And YES, the black album rules, totally agree! cool

RIP Prince: thank U 4 a funky Time...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 01/10/22 2:07pm

ufoclub

avatar

funkaholic1972 said:

ufoclub said:

The one track I might skip over on a listen is shared by both albums.

But I also don't really get into "Glam Slam" much.

Overall I am a Black Album addict. I just love the sound, sequence, and concept of it, with all the talkiing, personalities and details. I think the arrangements and mixing is just intense, interesting, and works to create a cohesive album mood.

And it was just slap your face startling in context of what Madonna and Michael Jackson were doing at that time. You know his pop peers at that time.

Yeah I had that with When 2 R In Love too, but in recent years I have a newfound appreciation for this song. Nowadays I mostly let it spin.

Glam Slam was never a favorite of mine either, the chorus is jarring IMO. I do like the instrumental part with the violins (near the end iirc?) though.

And YES, the black album rules, totally agree! cool

I like the end "orchestral" type drama at the end of Glam Slam too.

The thing I really appreciate on When 2 R in Love is the trippy Linn hihat pattern. It is surreal.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 01/10/22 11:30pm

ForbiddenFruit

I Wish U Heaven

Alphabet St.

Lovesexy

Glam Slam

Anna Stesia

Rockhard In A Funky Place

When 2 R In Love

Dead On It

Bob George

Le Grind

Positivity

Cindy C.

I Know

Superfunkycalifragisexy

2 Niggs United 4 West Compton

Dance On

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 01/11/22 4:21am

SquirrelMeat76

My take on it....

1) Lovesexy

2) Anna Stesia

3) Superfunkycalifragisexy

4) Rock Hard In a Funky Place

5) Cindy C

6) I Wish U Heaven

7) Alphabet St

8) When 2 R In Love

9) Le Grind

10) 2 Nigs United For West Compton

11) Glam Slam

12) Postivity

13) Bob George

14) Eye Know

15) Dance On

16) Dead On It

First 4 are classic Prince songs...

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 01/12/22 11:51pm

SoulAlive

1) Lovesexy

2) I Wish U Heaven

3) Anna Stesia

4) Superfunkycalifragisexy

5) Rock Hard In A Funky Place

6) Alphabet St.

7) When 2 R In Love

8) Dead On It

9) Le Grind

10) Glam Slam

11) Eye No

12) Cindy C

13) Positivity

14) Bob George

15) Two Nigs United 4 West Compton

16) Dance On

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 01/13/22 2:18am

Nasalhair

1) Rock Hard in a Funky Place

2) Bob George

3) Superfunkycalifragisexy

4) Le Grind

5) Cindy C

6) 2 Nigs United 4 West Compton

7) Alphabet St

8) When 2 R In Love

9) Glam Slam

10) Anna Stesia

11) Eye No

12) Positivity

13) I Wish U Heaven

14) Dead On It

15) Lovesexy

16) Dance On

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 01/13/22 4:14am

TheEclecticEle
ctric

  1. I Wish U Heaven
  2. Alphabet St.
  3. I Know
  4. Le Grind
  5. Cindy C.
  6. Lovesexy
  7. Glam Slam
  8. Anna Stesia
  9. Rockhard In A Funky Place
  10. Positivity
  11. Superfunkycalifragisexy
  12. Dance On
  13. When 2 R In Love
  14. Bob George
  15. Dead On It
  16. 2 Niggs United 4 West Compton

I Wish U Heaven seems to be polarising people. biggrin

+e
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 01/13/22 6:56am

Vannormal

''Dead On It'' does not receive much love in general.

Often being rated as the last one.

Is it because of the somewhat silly lyrics (for the time being) ?

I do like that phat funky anti-song !

It's an in-your-face sloppy constructed funk piece at first, it could even be a throwaway piecehe had lying around, but so damn well made imho.

I like every sound of it.

Listen to it with headphones, and discover the excellent bass parts, the weird synths, the smart greasy samples, the fuck-you guitar licks, his voice that seems to come off as both fierce and couldn't-care-less attitutde. Love that weird un-Princey vocal arrangements all over.

And to me, he gets away with his own take on rapping.

And as someone said here, the party feel, the background crowd...

And yet still very Prince altogether.

Share the love for this track please.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves.
And wiser people so full of doubts"
(Bertrand Russsell 1872-1972)
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 01/13/22 7:29am

funkaholic1972

avatar

Vannormal said:

''Dead On It'' does not receive much love in general.

Often being rated as the last one.

Is it because of the somewhat silly lyrics (for the time being) ?

I do like that phat funky anti-song !

It's an in-your-face sloppy constructed funk piece at first, it could even be a throwaway piecehe had lying around, but so damn well made imho.

I like every sound of it.

Listen to it with headphones, and discover the excellent bass parts, the weird synths, the smart greasy samples, the fuck-you guitar licks, his voice that seems to come off as both fierce and couldn't-care-less attitutde. Love that weird un-Princey vocal arrangements all over.

And to me, he gets away with his own take on rapping.

And as someone said here, the party feel, the background crowd...

And yet still very Prince altogether.

Share the love for this track please.

I love Dead On It musically, it is just the rap that brings the listening experience down a bit. But in the context of listening TBA it never gets skipped!

RIP Prince: thank U 4 a funky Time...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 01/13/22 7:36am

SchlomoThaHomo

avatar

Vannormal said:

''Dead On It'' does not receive much love in general.

Often being rated as the last one.

Is it because of the somewhat silly lyrics (for the time being) ?

I do like that phat funky anti-song !

It's an in-your-face sloppy constructed funk piece at first, it could even be a throwaway piecehe had lying around, but so damn well made imho.

I like every sound of it.

Listen to it with headphones, and discover the excellent bass parts, the weird synths, the smart greasy samples, the fuck-you guitar licks, his voice that seems to come off as both fierce and couldn't-care-less attitutde. Love that weird un-Princey vocal arrangements all over.

And to me, he gets away with his own take on rapping.

And as someone said here, the party feel, the background crowd...

And yet still very Prince altogether.

Share the love for this track please.


Agreed. It's an essential Black Album track as far as I'm concerned. And the lyrics aren't anymore nonsensical than Housequake. In fact, they probably have more meaning since there's a parody happening. And one of his best rhythm guitar lines.

"That's when stars collide. When there's space for what u want, and ur heart is open wide."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 01/13/22 9:04am

nayroo2002

avatar

SchlomoThaHomo said:

Vannormal said:

''Dead On It'' does not receive much love in general.

Often being rated as the last one.

Is it because of the somewhat silly lyrics (for the time being) ?

I do like that phat funky anti-song !

It's an in-your-face sloppy constructed funk piece at first, it could even be a throwaway piecehe had lying around, but so damn well made imho.

I like every sound of it.

Listen to it with headphones, and discover the excellent bass parts, the weird synths, the smart greasy samples, the fuck-you guitar licks, his voice that seems to come off as both fierce and couldn't-care-less attitutde. Love that weird un-Princey vocal arrangements all over.

And to me, he gets away with his own take on rapping.

And as someone said here, the party feel, the background crowd...

And yet still very Prince altogether.

Share the love for this track please.


Agreed. It's an essential Black Album track as far as I'm concerned. And the lyrics aren't anymore nonsensical than Housequake. In fact, they probably have more meaning since there's a parody happening. And one of his best rhythm guitar lines.

That "laaa la la-la" part is a nod to Kurtis Blow's "If I Ruled The World", no?

A rapper tryin' to sing...

"Whatever skin Ur in
we all need 2 b friends"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 01/13/22 9:24am

emesem

Def referencing Kurtis there. Which is probably the "realest" bit of the track. I think the song is purposefully awkward and intended as a joke/parody. I get it but still think its properly deemed the least of LS/BA.

nayroo2002 said:

That "laaa la la-la" part is a nod to Kurtis Blow's "If I Ruled The World", no?

A rapper tryin' to sing...

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Ranking Tracks from the Black Album and Lovesexy