independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Do Me Baby '79 Demo on the way...
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 7 of 8 <12345678>

This is a "featured" topic! — From here you can jump to the « previous or next » featured topic.

Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #180 posted 10/18/21 5:24am

Vannormal

FrankieCoco1 said:

Vannormal said:

-

Exactly.

Great release, happy with it.

But the cover design... we already had that. His handwriting, the black and purple, etc.

They could've done an alternative pic from the cover shoot for one of the released singles...

And why an etched B-side? For what reason ?

Honestly, why not the raw unmixed version on the B-side ?

-

I’ve done my own b-side: Neurotic Lover’s Bedroom (Demo). The estate should have have put it on the vinyl and issued a statement saying they’d been trying to continue the pretence that Prince had this masterful statesman-like mind with a wealth of political and social awareness. However, having sifted through the boxes of tapes in the vault they’ve come to the conclusion most of the unreleased stuff is just filth, depraved and perverted. And the next release will be a double b-side of the original versions of Extralovable and Lust U Always. Won’t happen. [Edited 10/15/21 3:53am]

-

LOL biggrin

I love your post. smile

But you're right.

They will never release ''Neurotic Lover's Bedroom''

It just doesn't match int he vision they want to have the world to see of the Prince they have in mind.

I even think they won't go as far as the 'Dirty Mind' spirit (anymore).

They whole (Anglo-Saxon) music business has become so prudish. Unbe-fucking-lievable.

-

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves.
And wiser people so full of doubts"
(Bertrand Russsell 1872-1972)
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #181 posted 10/18/21 6:05am

leecaldon

Vannormal said:

FrankieCoco1 said:

Vannormal said: I’ve done my own b-side: Neurotic Lover’s Bedroom (Demo). The estate should have have put it on the vinyl and issued a statement saying they’d been trying to continue the pretence that Prince had this masterful statesman-like mind with a wealth of political and social awareness. However, having sifted through the boxes of tapes in the vault they’ve come to the conclusion most of the unreleased stuff is just filth, depraved and perverted. And the next release will be a double b-side of the original versions of Extralovable and Lust U Always. Won’t happen. [Edited 10/15/21 3:53am]

-

LOL biggrin

I love your post. smile

But you're right.

They will never release ''Neurotic Lover's Bedroom''

It just doesn't match int he vision they want to have the world to see of the Prince they have in mind.

I even think they won't go as far as the 'Dirty Mind' spirit (anymore).

They whole (Anglo-Saxon) music business has become so prudish. Unbe-fucking-lievable.

-

As much as I would love to see both Extralovable and Lust U Always released, their decision not to released them is surely more about the negative reaction the offending lyrics would get, whatever image of Prince they are trying to project.

Personally, I can't understand why they dont just put out a 'single' edit of Extralovable that fades out before things get sketchy.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #182 posted 10/18/21 2:28pm

Vannormal

RODSERLING said:

Vannormal said:

-

There isn't a shortage, the big oil companies just ahve to dicide to pump up more oil, simple as that.

It's the production and distribution of vinyl records that is becoming a problem, more due to the pandemic.

And from an ecelogical point of view, vinyl pressing for music is nothing compared with the production of plastics in general, so that is irrelevant.

Prices will rise that's for sure, but only due to high demand, and lack of foloow up in productions.

So, for one who likes to complain mostly about prices, in the form of 'facts'... there ya go...

If you're really interested, get what you can still get your hands on.

-

So this has nothing to do with the fact they can't release D&P this year?
We don't know that. It was only 'hinted' by non officials that there could've been a D&P release. No facts !
That waste of precious material, just to overprice the products ( that year : 2 useless vinyl for the w2A SDE, the remaster of PR, using just a side for a 45 rpm) is exactly what is fucking their calendar releases year after year.
That is what you think and feel.
That precious material is a matter of question and demand, ruled by the OPEC and a few others.
That's exactly the reason why Crystal Ball Ball has been pushed back last year, then cancelled this year,
Stop assuming. No one really knows exactly what the reason is/was (yet).
why W2A has been pushed back from april to July, why they can't release D&P this year.
Again, ''assumed''. We. Just. Don't. Know. Anything. Yet!
And now this half of a single release is also pushing back D&P to an ulterior date. Just for one side.
This single release has nothing to do with pushing back anything !

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves.
And wiser people so full of doubts"
(Bertrand Russsell 1872-1972)
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #183 posted 10/18/21 2:45pm

Vannormal

leecaldon said:

Vannormal said:

-

LOL biggrin

I love your post. smile

But you're right.

They will never release ''Neurotic Lover's Bedroom''

It just doesn't match int he vision they want to have the world to see of the Prince they have in mind.

I even think they won't go as far as the 'Dirty Mind' spirit (anymore).

They whole (Anglo-Saxon) music business has become so prudish. Unbe-fucking-lievable.

-

As much as I would love to see both Extralovable and Lust U Always released, their decision not to released them is surely more about the negative reaction the offending lyrics would get, whatever image of Prince they are trying to project.

Personally, I can't understand why they dont just put out a 'single' edit of Extralovable that fades out before things get sketchy.

-

There is barely a post-Prince reality explored by The Estate.

I'm guessing they just want to make a stupid saint of him now.

Yeah, he was just a human like all of us. And there's nothing wrong with that.

But he was a human with great fantastic musical skills on all levels, a fanatic performaner,

a non-stop songwriter, a fucking tiran too - We all know that.

But he was absolutely no saint!

Milk the bloody purple cow, and make him seem like a political wonder... ahead of his time...

which he more than often was not.

Dear Estate, stop making a politically correct visionary of our Prince.

-

And a fade out single release of 'Extralovable' would just be the worst thing to do EVER.

Sorry leecaldon, nothing personal here.

Justification just seems so out of place and further away than ever.

Peace to you and all of us. smile

-

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves.
And wiser people so full of doubts"
(Bertrand Russsell 1872-1972)
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #184 posted 10/19/21 7:35am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Vannormal said:

leecaldon said:

As much as I would love to see both Extralovable and Lust U Always released, their decision not to released them is surely more about the negative reaction the offending lyrics would get, whatever image of Prince they are trying to project.

Personally, I can't understand why they dont just put out a 'single' edit of Extralovable that fades out before things get sketchy.

-

There is barely a post-Prince reality explored by The Estate.

I'm guessing they just want to make a stupid saint of him now.

Yeah, he was just a human like all of us. And there's nothing wrong with that.

But he was a human with great fantastic musical skills on all levels, a fanatic performaner,

a non-stop songwriter, a fucking tiran too - We all know that.

But he was absolutely no saint!

Milk the bloody purple cow, and make him seem like a political wonder... ahead of his time...

which he more than often was not.

Dear Estate, stop making a politically correct visionary of our Prince.

-

And a fade out single release of 'Extralovable' would just be the worst thing to do EVER.

Sorry leecaldon, nothing personal here.

Justification just seems so out of place and further away than ever.

Peace to you and all of us. smile

-

yep, but sadly, Prince lead the way with the redo of Extralovable blackeye

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
That's what U want, TRANSCENDENCE. When that happens, O Boy -Prince 2015
https://www.youtube.com/w...nm2Qq6QTFs
#IDEFINEME
“Strong people define themselves; weak people allow others to define them.” ― Ken Poirot
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #185 posted 10/19/21 7:43am

sulls

avatar

The Estate could give Extraloveable lyrics the ‘let’s go, Brandon’ treatment and I’ll supply my very own misheard lyrics for the cause. I used to hear ‘I need a virgin, babe’ instead of ‘I’m on the verge of ....’ lol
"I like to watch."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #186 posted 10/19/21 7:48am

sulls

avatar

sulls said:

The Estate could give Extraloveable lyrics the ‘let’s go, Brandon’ treatment and I’ll supply my very own misheard lyrics for the cause. I used to hear ‘I need a virgin, babe’ instead of ‘I’m on the verge of ....’ lol


For LUA, use ‘my body reeks with lust, I will date u if I must’
"I like to watch."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #187 posted 10/19/21 8:48am

Revolution81

avatar

sulls said:

sulls said:
The Estate could give Extraloveable lyrics the ‘let’s go, Brandon’ treatment and I’ll supply my very own misheard lyrics for the cause. I used to hear ‘I need a virgin, babe’ instead of ‘I’m on the verge of ....’ lol
For LUA, use ‘my body reeks with lust, I will date u if I must’

-

"I'm sorry, but i'm just gonna have to video-tape you"

"I'm on the verge of Frape"

Nah, its not the same

What's the use in half a story, half a dream
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #188 posted 10/19/21 11:34am

mbdtyler

Vannormal said:

And a fade out single release of 'Extralovable' would just be the worst thing to do EVER.

I can definitely think of worse things lol

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #189 posted 10/20/21 2:16am

funkbabyandthe
babysitters

the demo is cool, nice to hear to compare, and cool to have just cos you can see how he got to the 1981 version from this, but he did the right stuff in making the changes that he did. the 1981 version is ten times better than this one. so he was right not to keep it as it was. he made everything about it better. i doubt he would want this released, as it was just a demo, not a finished song like other vault tracks, but hey, its cool to hear. does feel quite private though.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #190 posted 10/20/21 8:09am

AvocadosMax

Revolution81 said:



sulls said:


sulls said:
The Estate could give Extraloveable lyrics the ‘let’s go, Brandon’ treatment and I’ll supply my very own misheard lyrics for the cause. I used to hear ‘I need a virgin, babe’ instead of ‘I’m on the verge of ....’ lol

For LUA, use ‘my body reeks with lust, I will date u if I must’

-


"I'm sorry, but i'm just gonna have to video-tape you"


"I'm on the verge of Frape"



Nah, its not the same


I’m on the verge of great—ness
He was being inspirational
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #191 posted 10/20/21 11:11am

leecaldon

Vannormal said:

leecaldon said:

As much as I would love to see both Extralovable and Lust U Always released, their decision not to released them is surely more about the negative reaction the offending lyrics would get, whatever image of Prince they are trying to project.

Personally, I can't understand why they dont just put out a 'single' edit of Extralovable that fades out before things get sketchy.

-

There is barely a post-Prince reality explored by The Estate.

I'm guessing they just want to make a stupid saint of him now.

Yeah, he was just a human like all of us. And there's nothing wrong with that.

But he was a human with great fantastic musical skills on all levels, a fanatic performaner,

a non-stop songwriter, a fucking tiran too - We all know that.

But he was absolutely no saint!

Milk the bloody purple cow, and make him seem like a political wonder... ahead of his time...

which he more than often was not.

Dear Estate, stop making a politically correct visionary of our Prince.

-

And a fade out single release of 'Extralovable' would just be the worst thing to do EVER.

Sorry leecaldon, nothing personal here.

Justification just seems so out of place and further away than ever.

Peace to you and all of us. smile

-

My argument that it makes no difference what image they are trying to project of Prince - those lyrics are not acceptable in 2021. Period.

If we take that as a starting point, are you saying that you prefer the song to never be released at all, than fully 6 minutes of it to be heard in pristine quality? Then, if you choose, you can tell anyone you want that actually in the next minute of the song P threatens to drag and rape the woman he is singing to, and you really wish that was the version that had been released.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #192 posted 10/20/21 2:22pm

RODSERLING

If they released those tracks, there would have been a shitstorm over Prince, a ban, and worst.

Cancel culture is a thing in that crazy country, everybody wants a thin reason to push on the red button : erase!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #193 posted 10/20/21 3:50pm

TrevorAyer

they have no problem butchering nc2u from the multitracks .. eye am sure they could mix extralovable with the vocal parts muted ..

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #194 posted 10/20/21 10:07pm

mbdtyler

leecaldon said:

Vannormal said:

-

There is barely a post-Prince reality explored by The Estate.

I'm guessing they just want to make a stupid saint of him now.

Yeah, he was just a human like all of us. And there's nothing wrong with that.

But he was a human with great fantastic musical skills on all levels, a fanatic performaner,

a non-stop songwriter, a fucking tiran too - We all know that.

But he was absolutely no saint!

Milk the bloody purple cow, and make him seem like a political wonder... ahead of his time...

which he more than often was not.

Dear Estate, stop making a politically correct visionary of our Prince.

-

And a fade out single release of 'Extralovable' would just be the worst thing to do EVER.

Sorry leecaldon, nothing personal here.

Justification just seems so out of place and further away than ever.

Peace to you and all of us. smile

-

My argument that it makes no difference what image they are trying to project of Prince - those lyrics are not acceptable in 2021. Period.

If we take that as a starting point, are you saying that you prefer the song to never be released at all, than fully 6 minutes of it to be heard in pristine quality? Then, if you choose, you can tell anyone you want that actually in the next minute of the song P threatens to drag and rape the woman he is singing to, and you really wish that was the version that had been released.

Sadly there are people who'd rather burn it all down than compromise and have a less overtly threatening version of the song released. Would it be the end of the world if the estate released the song as is? No, it wouldn't, but it also wouldn't be the end of the world if they cut a couple of completely unnecessary rape threats out of an otherwise playful and sexy song. I think people deserve another Prince gem that they can jam to without being dragged into deeply uncomfortable territory at the very end, and having the whole vibe killed.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #195 posted 10/21/21 4:44am

LILpoundCAKE

avatar

the simple truth is that if the estate had released those 2 songs, we would have enjoyed them being released, and no one would talk about them anymore.

there were so many brilliant songs released on the SDE's but no one mentions any of them anymore. the only thing people keep talking about is what they don't have.

i feel that won't change anytime soon. we could get the most amazing things and yet there will still be a need to have that one particular mix of that one particular track that we should have had etc.


If U're lookin 4 dirt look in Ur own back yard - Plant some Peace Flowers in Ur warzone so I can fire my bodyguards.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #196 posted 10/21/21 6:14am

LoveGalore

LILpoundCAKE said:

the simple truth is that if the estate had released those 2 songs, we would have enjoyed them being released, and no one would talk about them anymore.

there were so many brilliant songs released on the SDE's but no one mentions any of them anymore. the only thing people keep talking about is what they don't have.

i feel that won't change anytime soon. we could get the most amazing things and yet there will still be a need to have that one particular mix of that one particular track that we should have had etc.




Is talking about them more important than listening to them? What more is there to talk about?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #197 posted 10/22/21 3:37pm

Phase3

LILpoundCAKE said:

the simple truth is that if the estate had released those 2 songs, we would have enjoyed them being released, and no one would talk about them anymore.

there were so many brilliant songs released on the SDE's but no one mentions any of them anymore. the only thing people keep talking about is what they don't have.

i feel that won't change anytime soon. we could get the most amazing things and yet there will still be a need to have that one particular mix of that one particular track that we should have had etc.



Everybody wants what they don't got,oohhhhh
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #198 posted 10/26/21 12:38am

WhisperingDand
elions

avatar

mbdtyler said:

I think people deserve another Prince gem that they can jam to without being dragged into deeply uncomfortable territory at the very end, and having the whole vibe killed.

To be fair a lot of his early stuff with the extended breakdowns like the "I'm so cold" bit in "Do Me, Baby" or him banging the lady cab driver in "Lady Cab Driver" already accomplish what you're trying to argue keeping people from... The "Extraloveable" break down was par for the course for the odd shock bridges of the era...


And actually the "Lady Cab Driver" sex interlude is a good example because there were 1999 Deluxe reviews posted here where modern day cancel-culture-influenced listeners were saying that made them feel uncomforable enough to turn the song off or mention being disturbed with the female crying for help at the end of "D.M.S.R."

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #199 posted 10/26/21 4:27am

sulls

avatar

WhisperingDandelions said:


<


And actually the "Lady Cab Driver" sex interlude is a good example because there were 1999 Deluxe reviews posted here where modern day cancel-culture-influenced listeners were saying that made them feel uncomforable enough to turn the song off or mention being disturbed with the female crying for help at the end of "D.M.S.R."




Goddamn snowflakes… confused
"I like to watch."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #200 posted 10/26/21 9:44am

strongoxman1

...yet these are the same people who can't seem to get enough of Law & Order: SVU
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #201 posted 10/26/21 10:25am

Phase3

strongoxman1 said:

...yet these are the same people who can't seem to get enough of Law & Order: SVU

That show sucks
Wish we could have LIVE PD back
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #202 posted 10/26/21 11:52am

mbdtyler

WhisperingDandelions said:

mbdtyler said:

I think people deserve another Prince gem that they can jam to without being dragged into deeply uncomfortable territory at the very end, and having the whole vibe killed.

To be fair a lot of his early stuff with the extended breakdowns like the "I'm so cold" bit in "Do Me, Baby" or him banging the lady cab driver in "Lady Cab Driver" already accomplish what you're trying to argue keeping people from... The "Extraloveable" break down was par for the course for the odd shock bridges of the era...


And actually the "Lady Cab Driver" sex interlude is a good example because there were 1999 Deluxe reviews posted here where modern day cancel-culture-influenced listeners were saying that made them feel uncomforable enough to turn the song off or mention being disturbed with the female crying for help at the end of "D.M.S.R."

I completely understand people being uncomfortable with those bits as well, though neither one crosses the line into explicitly troubling territory in my opinion (especially "Lady Cab Driver" which just seems like rough consentual sex from what I remember).

There's a pretty big difference with "Extraloveable" considering that he, y'know... directly threatens to rape a woman and refers to it as such. It takes a hard and explicit 180 turn from what is otherwise a playful song, and I see nothing worth defending in those particular lyrics. Shock value isn't always worth defending, and some boundaries are better left alone for a reason.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #203 posted 10/26/21 8:27pm

AvocadosMax

ok.... i'm gonna just say it!

i officially like this more than the Controversy album version

two main reasons

1) it's raaaaawww

2) i don't have to skip the part where he basically has an orgasm in the studio lmao..... that's alright if you like that but going through that once was enough for me lol

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #204 posted 10/27/21 9:06am

Matthaus

I don't think it's wrong to think sexual assault is not a light matter that can be used in lyrics with no worries and that people who listen to those lyrics and feel angst should just suck it up. If that makes me a snowflake, then so be it. smile

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #205 posted 10/27/21 9:45am

sulls

avatar

Matthaus said:

I don't think it's wrong to think sexual assault is not a light matter that can be used in lyrics with no worries and that people who listen to those lyrics and feel angst should just suck it up. If that makes me a snowflake, then so be it. smile



So if it was released, you definitely would not buy it, listen to it?
"I like to watch."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #206 posted 10/27/21 10:57am

Matthaus

sulls said:

So if it was released, you definitely would not buy it, listen to it?

I would because I already heard those songs countless times on bootleg quality, and I think they're great, though I'll roll my eyes for the rape lyrics because I'm enough of a Prince fan to know that he could do better than to use sexual assault as a lyrical punchline. Same reason I can still enjoy the Dirty Mind album even if it has a song with incest lyrics. It's possible to both enjoy this music while not condoning its problematic aspects, it's not black-and-white.

.

Also, I'm not a sexual assault victim, so this doesn't resonate deeply with me, but I know and understand people who have been and that's completely unfair to expect them to ignore it and insult them because they're sensitive to people talking lightly about this.

.

Not just that, but there are people who, while not being victims of sexual assault, were taught from an early age that sexual assault is bad and should be taken seriously (which is a good thing), who could also feel disturbed by how normalized it was in other times and choose not to listen to it, and I think they have all the right if they want to. Prince has a lot more to offer.

[Edited 10/27/21 18:34pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #207 posted 10/27/21 1:34pm

antonb

soo just this and W2A released this year. What a joke the estate is. What are they doing everyday? Just counting money? Get a Fucking website set up and start releasing some live shows etc on soundboard. We would glady pay out for them. We aint geting any younger.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #208 posted 10/27/21 5:10pm

ChocolateBox31
21

avatar

antonb said:

soo just this and W2A released this year. What a joke the estate is. What are they doing everyday? Just counting money? Get a Fucking website set up and start releasing some live shows etc on soundboard. We would glady pay out for them. We aint geting any younger.

Have U been living under a rock? The SOTT calender, The countless new merchandise. The promotion alone for W2A that gave Prince(r.i.p.) ANOTHER TOP 5 HIT this year. Should be commended.

disbelief

"That mountain top situation is not really what it's all cracked up 2 B when eye was doing the Purple Rain tour eye had a lot of people who eye knew eye'll never c again @ the concerts.just screamin n places they thought they was suppose 2 scream."prince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #209 posted 10/28/21 12:37am

mbdtyler

Matthaus said:



sulls said:


So if it was released, you definitely would not buy it, listen to it?


I would because I already heard those songs countless times on bootleg quality, and I think they're great, though I'll roll my eyes for the rape lyrics because I'm enough of a Prince fan to know that he could do better than to use sexual assault as a lyrical punchline. Same reason I can still enjoy the Dirty Mind album even if it has a song with incest lyrics. It's possible to both enjoy this music while not condoning its problematic aspects, it's not black-and-white.


.


Also, I'm not a sexual assault victim, so this doesn't resonate deeply with me, but I know and understand people who have been and that's completely unfair to expect them to ignore it and insult them because they're sensitive to people talking lightly about this.


.


Not just that, but there are people who, while not being victims of sexual assault, were taught from an early age that sexual assault is bad and should be taken seriously (which is a good thing), who could also feel disturbed by how normalized it was in other times and choose not to listen to it, and I think they have all the right if they want to. Prince has a lot more to offer.

[Edited 10/27/21 18:34pm]


Well said smile
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 7 of 8 <12345678>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)

This is a "featured" topic! — From here you can jump to the « previous or next » featured topic.

« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Do Me Baby '79 Demo on the way...