independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Rave In2 The Joy Fantastic/Chocolate Invasion/Slaughterhouse
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 09/19/21 7:34pm

26ten

Rave In2 The Joy Fantastic/Chocolate Invasion/Slaughterhouse

I've loved the original Rave Un2 album although even with a cursory listen I knew I preferred Rave In2 more (based on the version of Hot 4 U on it alone even) but it'd been a long time since I heard it. Still this era is so underloved.

Just gave it a spin and dear God by the time the ending of Man o' war hit I was so floored it was incredible. What a funky, trippy, experience. I have a soft spot for his work outside the 80s since it was something I initially wrote off and rediscovered about two years before he passed, and on some level I'm still in that process.

You all have a favorite in this short lived pre-Musicology era? Also, greedy of me to ask also but how would you personally rank these albums?

Rave Un2
Rave In2
Chocolate Invasion
Slaughterhouse
One Nite Alone
The Truth

Good to be back hope you are all well.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 09/19/21 9:56pm

Phase3

Never got into choc invasion or house but my favorites out of these albums are
Don't play me
Beautiful Strange!!!
I love u but don't trust u
Golden parachute
Here on earth

Welcome back cool
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 09/20/21 12:28am

Romeoblu

Rave Un2
Rave In2
Chocolate
Slaughterhouse
The Truth
One Nite
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 09/20/21 7:11am

PurpleColossus

avatar

Rave In2 (Prefered because it has Beautiful Strange)

Rave Un2

The Truth

Chocolate Invasion
One Nite Alone

Slaughterhouse

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 09/20/21 8:17am

NoSwan

avatar

PurpleColossus said:

Rave In2 (Prefered because it has Beautiful Strange)

Rave Un2

The Truth

Chocolate Invasion
One Nite Alone

Slaughterhouse

In this order:

One Nite Alone... (Piano)

The Chocolate Invasion

The Slaughterhouse

The Truth

Rave In2 The Joy Fantastic

Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 09/20/21 9:57am

LoveGalore

One Nite Alone and The Truth are way better than they get credit for.

Rave is an extremely polished album. Even more polished than emancipation which beggars belief.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 09/20/21 10:29am

lurker316

avatar


Of the ones you listed, the only one I like is the Truth. I hate the rest and never listen to them.

How are you defining the pre-Musicology era?

He released Musicology, The Choloate Invasion and The Slaughterhouse all at the same time 2004, so those are contemporary with Musicology, not "pre" ... unless you're basing your list on the fact that most of their tracks were released as stand-alone internet singles earlier in the decade?

You reach all the way back to Truth, which was released in 1998, six years before Musicology. That's a pretty substantial gap. If you're going to include the Truth, why not its companion release, Crystal Ball?

It's your criteria, so if you want to go all the way back to the Truth, fair enough. But you skip multiple albums between the Truth and Musiciology, to include The Rainbow Children, NEWS and Xpectation. I can kind of understand skipping the two intstrumental albums, but Rainbow Children has to be included, doesn't it?

If you include Rainbow Children, that would be at the top of my list, followed by the Truth, and then nothing else from your list.









 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 09/20/21 2:09pm

FrankieCoco1

Chocolate Invasion and Slaughterhouse should have physical releases. Perhaps they’ll do a brown vinyl for CI, and blood red one for SH!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 09/20/21 3:09pm

gandorb

Chocolate Invasion ( One of last of his releases that I heard, and what a pleasant surprise)

Rave In2

Rave Un2

One Night Alone

The Truth

The Slaughterhouse ( by far my least favorite)

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 09/20/21 3:41pm

OperatingTheta
n

lurker316 said:



Of the ones you listed, the only one I like is the Truth. I hate the rest and never listen to them.

How are you defining the pre-Musicology era?

He released Musicology, The Choloate Invasion and The Slaughterhouse all at the same time 2004, so those are contemporary with Musicology, not "pre" ... unless you're basing your list on the fact that most of their tracks were released as stand-alone internet singles earlier in the decade?

You reach all the way back to Truth, which was released in 1998, six years before Musicology. That's a pretty substantial gap. If you're going to include the Truth, why not its companion release, Crystal Ball?

It's your criteria, so if you want to go all the way back to the Truth, fair enough. But you skip multiple albums between the Truth and Musiciology, to include The Rainbow Children, NEWS and Xpectation. I can kind of understand skipping the two intstrumental albums, but Rainbow Children has to be included, doesn't it?

If you include Rainbow Children, that would be at the top of my list, followed by the Truth, and then nothing else from your list.











The material on The Chocolate Invasion and The Slaughterhouse dates back to the first year of the NPGMC in 2001 when it was originally released in monthly installments. Several limited CD singles of 'Supercute', 'Daisy Chain' and others were also released in 2000 and considered for the 'High' album planned for release that year. So all this material is a direct follow-up to 'Rave'. 'Rave In2' was also originally released on CD by mail to NPGMC year one members only.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 09/20/21 4:27pm

NoSwan

avatar

The Rainbow Children is pure Prince.

Unpredictable, edgy, funky, lascivious, visionary and MF preachy in His Royal Own Way.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 09/20/21 6:26pm

GustavoRibas

avatar

NoSwan said:

The Rainbow Children is pure Prince. Unpredictable, edgy, funky, lascivious, visionary and MF preachy in His Royal Own Way.

.

One of my fave all time albums. Some people dislike it because of the lyrics, but the music is amazing.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 09/21/21 5:33am

lurker316

avatar

OperatingThetan said:

lurker316 said:


Of the ones you listed, the only one I like is the Truth. I hate the rest and never listen to them.

How are you defining the pre-Musicology era?

He released Musicology, The Choloate Invasion and The Slaughterhouse all at the same time 2004, so those are contemporary with Musicology, not "pre" ... unless you're basing your list on the fact that most of their tracks were released as stand-alone internet singles earlier in the decade?

You reach all the way back to Truth, which was released in 1998, six years before Musicology. That's a pretty substantial gap. If you're going to include the Truth, why not its companion release, Crystal Ball?

It's your criteria, so if you want to go all the way back to the Truth, fair enough. But you skip multiple albums between the Truth and Musiciology, to include The Rainbow Children, NEWS and Xpectation. I can kind of understand skipping the two intstrumental albums, but Rainbow Children has to be included, doesn't it?

If you include Rainbow Children, that would be at the top of my list, followed by the Truth, and then nothing else from your list.

The material on The Chocolate Invasion and The Slaughterhouse dates back to the first year of the NPGMC in 2001 when it was originally released in monthly installments. Several limited CD singles of 'Supercute', 'Daisy Chain' and others were also released in 2000 and considered for the 'High' album planned for release that year. So all this material is a direct follow-up to 'Rave'. 'Rave In2' was also originally released on CD by mail to NPGMC year one members only.



Excatly. I acknowledged in my post that the songs on the two NPGMC albums could be considered pre-Musicology era because they were released individually at earlier dates.

But that doesn't answer why he decided to go back as far as the Truth ... or why he skipped Rainbow Children.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 09/21/21 5:41am

OperatingTheta
n

lurker316 said:



OperatingThetan said:


lurker316 said:



Of the ones you listed, the only one I like is the Truth. I hate the rest and never listen to them.

How are you defining the pre-Musicology era?

He released Musicology, The Choloate Invasion and The Slaughterhouse all at the same time 2004, so those are contemporary with Musicology, not "pre" ... unless you're basing your list on the fact that most of their tracks were released as stand-alone internet singles earlier in the decade?

You reach all the way back to Truth, which was released in 1998, six years before Musicology. That's a pretty substantial gap. If you're going to include the Truth, why not its companion release, Crystal Ball?

It's your criteria, so if you want to go all the way back to the Truth, fair enough. But you skip multiple albums between the Truth and Musiciology, to include The Rainbow Children, NEWS and Xpectation. I can kind of understand skipping the two intstrumental albums, but Rainbow Children has to be included, doesn't it?

If you include Rainbow Children, that would be at the top of my list, followed by the Truth, and then nothing else from your list.



The material on The Chocolate Invasion and The Slaughterhouse dates back to the first year of the NPGMC in 2001 when it was originally released in monthly installments. Several limited CD singles of 'Supercute', 'Daisy Chain' and others were also released in 2000 and considered for the 'High' album planned for release that year. So all this material is a direct follow-up to 'Rave'. 'Rave In2' was also originally released on CD by mail to NPGMC year one members only.



Excatly. I acknowledged in my post that the songs on the two NPGMC albums could be considered pre-Musicology era because they were released individually at earlier dates.

But that doesn't answer why he decided to go back as far as the Truth ... or why he skipped Rainbow Children.



I stand corrected and appreciate your point.

In that case I guess NewPower Soul should be included also? The Truth doesn't really fit in that time period at all. I was looking the other day at all the NPGMC material that wasn't included on those two compilations - much more than I'd remembered.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 09/21/21 9:21am

TheBigBang

avatar

Although I've warmed up to it over the last five years, I've never really cared for Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic. An album predicated on the ridiculous idea that it's "produced by Prince," who was a better editor than The Artist. An album where the title track was pretty much the same as the original from over a decade earlier. An album that has guest stars that, with the exception of Chuck D., might as well not even be listed because you would never know they were there if you weren't told that they were.

I like components of Chocolate Invasion and Slaughterhouse but, if I'm being honest, with the exception of that horrible reworked title track, The Vault:Old Friends 4 Sale is my favorite thing from the Rave era. New Power Soul has a couple of good parts too. Everything between Emancipation and The Rainbow Children is what I consider a dark period in Prince's catalog.

The Rainbow Children, for me, was a return to form for Prince. It was something no one was expecting, and was different than anything that had come before.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 09/21/21 9:44am

homesquid

avatar

Chocolate Invasion

Rave In2

Rave Un2

The Slaughterhouse

To me the most uninspired, bland, mediocre music Prince ever released can be found on these albums. I barely created one good 12 track album from this mess

1. Rave un2

2. Vavoom

3. Peace

4. Man O War

5. High

6. So Far So Pleased

7. U Make My Sun Shine

8. Prettyman

9. Baby Knows

10. Supercute

11. Hot With U

12. The Greatest Romance (long version)

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 09/21/21 10:36am

Se7en

avatar

Rave (both versions) is a professional-sounding album that has a lot of great material. It might not have been a "hit", but I still like it a whole lot.

TCI/Slaughterhouse (with most of what's left of the "High" album) were just kind of a misfire to me. As I've said before, Prince was quite often a one-man-band in the studio, but these were the first releases that sounded like a one-man-band. Like Paisley Park was snowed in for a few weeks and he churned these out. A few good tracks, but mostly pretty dull.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 09/21/21 3:10pm

Phase3

homesquid said:

Chocolate Invasion


Rave In2


Rave Un2


The Slaughterhouse


To me the most uninspired, bland, mediocre music Prince ever released can be found on these albums. I barely created one good 12 track album from this mess



1. Rave un2


2. Vavoom


3. Peace


4. Man O War


5. High


6. So Far So Pleased


7. U Make My Sun Shine


8. Prettyman


9. Baby Knows


10. Supercute


11. Hot With U


12. The Greatest Romance (long version)





I was loving your track list until halfway.
No "I love u but I don't trust u anymore" or "strange but true"?
The extended mix of Greatest romance is overkill and goes on for too long
But the rest of your track list I like
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 09/22/21 4:31pm

coldcoffeeandc
ocacola

avatar

Phase3 said:

homesquid said:

Chocolate Invasion


Rave In2


Rave Un2


The Slaughterhouse


To me the most uninspired, bland, mediocre music Prince ever released can be found on these albums. I barely created one good 12 track album from this mess



1. Rave un2


2. Vavoom


3. Peace


4. Man O War


5. High


6. So Far So Pleased


7. U Make My Sun Shine


8. Prettyman


9. Baby Knows


10. Supercute


11. Hot With U


12. The Greatest Romance (long version)





I was loving your track list until halfway.
No "I love u but I don't trust u anymore" or "strange but true"?
The extended mix of Greatest romance is overkill and goes on for too long
But the rest of your track list I like



No judas smile or my medallion??

I could definitely skip out hot wit u ...

I love TCI and TS albums ... I could smush together a fine album, although TCI has the edge
[Edited 9/22/21 16:35pm]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 09/22/21 4:41pm

coldcoffeeandc
ocacola

avatar

My best picks of that period..

I call this album...

'Orleans chocolate house'

1. JUDAS SMILE *
2. MY MEDALLION
3. TGRES *
4. U MAKR MY SUN SHINE *
5. SUPERCUTE
6. HIGH
7. DAISY CHAIN
8. UNDERNEATH THE CREAM
9. SST/NEW ORLEANS (DID THIS COME OUT PRE MUSICOLOGY I CANT RECQLL BUT I LOVE IT) *
10. TANGERINE
11-20. SECRET TRACK... PRETTYMAN

I have starred my stand out tracks

Guys I loved this period. Was exciting time to be a prince fan.
[Edited 9/22/21 16:44pm]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 09/22/21 8:21pm

Phase3

coldcoffeeandcocacola said:

My best picks of that period..

I call this album...

'Orleans chocolate house'

1. JUDAS SMILE *
2. MY MEDALLION
3. TGRES *
4. U MAKR MY SUN SHINE *
5. SUPERCUTE
6. HIGH
7. DAISY CHAIN
8. UNDERNEATH THE CREAM
9. SST/NEW ORLEANS (DID THIS COME OUT PRE MUSICOLOGY I CANT RECQLL BUT I LOVE IT) *
10. TANGERINE
11-20. SECRET TRACK... PRETTYMAN

I have starred my stand out tracks

Guys I loved this period. Was exciting time to be a prince fan.
[Edited 9/22/21 16:44pm]


I think it came out in 2005 after musicology
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 09/25/21 11:32am

26ten

There is so much Grey area in his discography around this era (include the instrumentals? Do Crystal Ball and Old Friends count or are they really compilations?). I even included a remix album in mine and that is sort of disputable despite its quality.

So I'll sort of clarify - anything between (but not including) Emancipation and Musicology. I'll let you all decide what counts within that because I get where all of you are coming from. I should have been more clear sorry everybody.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 09/25/21 1:39pm

coldcoffeeandc
ocacola

avatar

26ten said:

There is so much Grey area in his discography around this era (include the instrumentals? Do Crystal Ball and Old Friends count or are they really compilations?). I even included a remix album in mine and that is sort of disputable despite its quality.

So I'll sort of clarify - anything between (but not including) Emancipation and Musicology. I'll let you all decide what counts within that because I get where all of you are coming from. I should have been more clear sorry everybody.


1999 the new master? Mmmm less said about that the better.

I feel like this grey area era is really rave plus internet releases up to musicology, then the little activity that went through to 2006ish, glasscutter etc, sst, love remix blah blah sort if up until npgmc closed and the disappointing 3121 site. Don't apologize we all view it differently, I enjoyed this time in prince history immensely
[Edited 9/25/21 13:41pm]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 09/25/21 3:23pm

26ten

coldcoffeeandcocacola said:

26ten said:

There is so much Grey area in his discography around this era (include the instrumentals? Do Crystal Ball and Old Friends count or are they really compilations?). I even included a remix album in mine and that is sort of disputable despite its quality.

So I'll sort of clarify - anything between (but not including) Emancipation and Musicology. I'll let you all decide what counts within that because I get where all of you are coming from. I should have been more clear sorry everybody.


1999 the new master? Mmmm less said about that the better.

I feel like this grey area era is really rave plus internet releases up to musicology, then the little activity that went through to 2006ish, glasscutter etc, sst, love remix blah blah sort if up until npgmc closed and the disappointing 3121 site. Don't apologize we all view it differently, I enjoyed this time in prince history immensely
[Edited 9/25/21 13:41pm]


Oh! I haven't heard the 1999 'New Master. Little nervous honestly... gonna check it in a moment.... again - nervous haha
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 09/25/21 11:41pm

WhisperingDand
elions

avatar

26ten said:

Oh! I haven't heard the 1999 'New Master. Little nervous honestly... gonna check it in a moment.... again - nervous haha

....

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 09/26/21 1:56pm

TheKid94

WhisperingDandelions said:

26ten said:

Oh! I haven't heard the 1999 'New Master. Little nervous honestly... gonna check it in a moment.... again - nervous haha

....

lol

prince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 09/27/21 3:41pm

26ten

Listened to it and dude

That was not NEAR as bad as I'd been led to believe. Unless the video I found was not the proper version.

Is it within the rules for someone to send me a link on YT to be sure I've been defiled properly? Haha
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 09/29/21 8:18pm

26ten

homesquid said:

Chocolate Invasion


Rave In2


Rave Un2


The Slaughterhouse


To me the most uninspired, bland, mediocre music Prince ever released can be found on these albums. I barely created one good 12 track album from this mess



1. Rave un2


2. Vavoom


3. Peace


4. Man O War


5. High


6. So Far So Pleased


7. U Make My Sun Shine


8. Prettyman


9. Baby Knows


10. Supercute


11. Hot With U


12. The Greatest Romance (long version)





Which version of Hot With U are you including? Also - no Underneath The Cream?! I am SHOCKED sir/ma'am haha
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 09/29/21 10:36pm

26ten

Oh wow I found 1999 the new master thanks to the generosity of a sadism of a fellow org member.

I get it now. Not necessarily unusual but pointless and random and hugely dated changes. The ending section I've dubbed the 'Miami section' and it was totally unnecessary. Made me think of the 90s movie The Pest with John Leguizamo haha which is also the most 90s thing I've experienced.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 09/30/21 6:46am

OperatingTheta
n

26ten said:

Oh wow I found 1999 the new master thanks to the generosity of a sadism of a fellow org member.

I get it now. Not necessarily unusual but pointless and random and hugely dated changes. The ending section I've dubbed the 'Miami section' and it was totally unnecessary. Made me think of the 90s movie The Pest with John Leguizamo haha which is also the most 90s thing I've experienced.


My understanding is that the 'miami section' was also part of the original but edited out, hence it's inclusion in the New Master.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Rave In2 The Joy Fantastic/Chocolate Invasion/Slaughterhouse