independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > New digital release of Madonna's "Like a Prayer" remixes, some of which feature contributions by Prince
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 03/06/21 2:53pm

BartVanHemelen

avatar

New digital release of Madonna's "Like a Prayer" remixes, some of which feature contributions by Prince

http://princevault.com/in...e_A_Prayer

.

https://theseconddisc.com...ch-6-2021/

.

"Madonna - Like a Prayer (7" Remix) (Edit)"

https://www.youtube.com/w...NB8e5YWelM

.

"Madonna - Like a Prayer (12" Extended Remix)"

https://www.youtube.com/w...eaKr4JsAJE

.

"Madonna - Like a Prayer (12" Club Version)"

https://www.youtube.com/w...LFPLqjgPWQ

.

"Madonna - Like a Prayer (Dub Beats)"

https://www.youtube.com/w...J0IAT-XK0k

.

"Madonna - Act of Contrition"

https://www.youtube.com/w...wDnOzlehQI

.

"Madonna - Like a Prayer (7" Version)"

https://www.youtube.com/w...CrnwywJrKg

.

"Madonna - Like a Prayer (12" Dance Mix)"

https://www.youtube.com/w...Oqtir8MDi8

.

"Madonna - Like a Prayer (Instra Dub)"

https://www.youtube.com/w...FKjOjIGpV0

.

"Madonna - Like a Prayer (Churchapella)"

https://www.youtube.com/w...yt6O9bok1I

.

"Madonna - Like a Prayer (Bass Dub)"

https://www.youtube.com/w...CPsP61lS7I

.

The tracks are also available on several streaming platforms, plus also available to buy (MP3s, CD-quality FLACs, etc.) on various platforms (Amazon, Qobuz, 7Digital,...).

.

Note that Prince's contributions to these various mixes and tracks have been debated ad infinitum in the past; so the search box in the top right corner of this website will help you.

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 03/06/21 3:34pm

deanm

Cheers Bart.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 03/06/21 7:14pm

LoveGalore

The bulk of his work is obviously in Dub Beats. And obviously they had consent to use Bob George.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 03/06/21 8:17pm

ufoclub

avatar

LoveGalore said:

The bulk of his work is obviously in Dub Beats. And obviously they had consent to use Bob George.

As opposed to "Act of Contrition"?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 03/07/21 7:03am

LoveGalore

ufoclub said:



LoveGalore said:


The bulk of his work is obviously in Dub Beats. And obviously they had consent to use Bob George.


As opposed to "Act of Contrition"?



I'm not sure if Act of Contrition is a song in and of itself or, like Dub Beats, is a "song" constructed of leftover material (which is basically what Patrick Leonard implied).
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 03/07/21 8:47am

Milty2

Is the letter "P" on the artwork a reference to Prince?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 03/07/21 9:58am

rlittler81

avatar

Milty2 said:

Is the letter "P" on the artwork a reference to Prince?

Penn. Madonna had recently divorced Sean Penn, so the initial was placed over her heart rather than being with her initials (MLVC) at the top. Madonna's brother did the painting for the single artwork.

[Edited 3/7/21 9:59am]

3121... Don't U Wanna Come?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 03/07/21 10:07pm

embmmusic

avatar

LoveGalore said:

ufoclub said:

As opposed to "Act of Contrition"?

I'm not sure if Act of Contrition is a song in and of itself or, like Dub Beats, is a "song" constructed of leftover material (which is basically what Patrick Leonard implied).

Act of Contrition is on the album so it isn't a remix or anything

Check out The Collector's Guide to Prince on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/p...4ldzxwlEuy
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 03/08/21 3:23am

thefunkydrumme
r

A lot of these I've never even heard. Thanks Bart, its appreciated. Cheers!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 03/08/21 5:12am

embmmusic

avatar

While looking into this I also saw that Prince contributed guitar to Keep It Together and some of the remixes of that. Somehow I missed that when I was making my big database of all released tracks so that's something else I'll be keeping an eye out for. Whether I missed it when I was making the database or it's a recent discovery I'm not sure.

Check out The Collector's Guide to Prince on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/p...4ldzxwlEuy
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 03/08/21 6:47am

ufoclub

avatar

embmmusic said:

LoveGalore said:

ufoclub said: I'm not sure if Act of Contrition is a song in and of itself or, like Dub Beats, is a "song" constructed of leftover material (which is basically what Patrick Leonard implied).

Act of Contrition is on the album so it isn't a remix or anything

Act of Contrition has the most Prince elements in the mix out of all of them to my ears. I bet the backwards percussion was also a "buggin" move instigated by him. And I do mean the track released on the album, not a remix. Her little rant about not having a "reservation" "what do you mean its not in the computer" seems like his style of humor too... but I don't know much about her sense of humor, and thats just an educated guess.

Madonna spilled the beans on Prince's uncredited guitar tracks and more in an interview years ago. But I can't find it quickly at the moment.

"Celebrate Like A Prayer’s 30th anniversary (featuring Prince contributions on the album’s tunes “Love Song”, “Keep It Together”, “Act Of Contrition” and the title track’s Van Halen-style licks in its opening seconds) by listening to the album today."

Patrick Leonard:

Prince turns up on the album, obviously, on "Love Song," the song he and Madonna did together. I've read that his guitar work is on "Keep It Together" somewhere.


What I know is that his guitar work is on, when you start "Like a Prayer," the guitar that you hear before the door slams…


The distorted guitar?


That's Prince. What happened is, [Madonna] sent him something to play on and he played on it and sent it back. And we didn't feel that what he did served it. But that piece, that beginning, is him.

Recently, I listened to [the song "Like a Prayer"] -- I hadn't heard it years. There's a heavy rock guitar that's in the bridges -- I don't think it's Prince. There's a heavy guitar in the choruses and when I heard it, I thought: "Did we use his guitar in those bridges?" Because the sound is similar to the first sound [in the opening], but it's not exactly the same. . . . But I know for a fact that we did use that [Prince] thing as the intro, because we just thought it was crazy and really cool. I seem to recall that that's all we used, but I could be wrong.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 03/08/21 8:49am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

embmmusic said:

While looking into this I also saw that Prince contributed guitar to Keep It Together and some of the remixes of that. Somehow I missed that when I was making my big database of all released tracks so that's something else I'll be keeping an eye out for. Whether I missed it when I was making the database or it's a recent discovery I'm not sure.

.

This has been known for decades. There have been a ton of interviews about the making of this album.

.

http://www.geocities.ws/m...rayer.html

.

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 03/08/21 9:05am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

ufoclub said:

Act of Contrition has the most Prince elements in the mix out of all of them to my ears. I bet the backwards percussion was also a "buggin" move instigated by him.

.

Except the track was completely created by Madonna and Patrick Leonard.

.

Madonna: Yeah, we turned the tape and played everything backwards.

.

Interviewer: Your idea?

.

Madonna: Yeah. And then, of course, the whole thing, the saying of the prayer (on "Act of Contrition") and everything, that was totally conceived of in the studio, in the control room. Pat put out a microphone, and I just started fooling around; and that was free-form, too. Whatever was on my head. It's totally unedited.

.

FYI using a tape played backwards was also used by artists like the Beatles and Jimi Hendrix; Prince didn't invent that.

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 03/08/21 10:35am

ufoclub

avatar

BartVanHemelen said:

ufoclub said:

Act of Contrition has the most Prince elements in the mix out of all of them to my ears. I bet the backwards percussion was also a "buggin" move instigated by him.

.

Except the track was completely created by Madonna and Patrick Leonard.

.

Madonna: Yeah, we turned the tape and played everything backwards.

.

Interviewer: Your idea?

.

Madonna: Yeah. And then, of course, the whole thing, the saying of the prayer (on "Act of Contrition") and everything, that was totally conceived of in the studio, in the control room. Pat put out a microphone, and I just started fooling around; and that was free-form, too. Whatever was on my head. It's totally unedited.

.

FYI using a tape played backwards was also used by artists like the Beatles and Jimi Hendrix; Prince didn't invent that.

Ah okay, I never read about her commenting on "Act of Contrition". But the main possible prince element I'm referring to is the wild electric guitar. It seems like this unused prince intrument track was not only anonymously used as the intro of the album title track /music video, but also weaved through "Act of Contrition".

And come on, Bart, I'm in the middle of "Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of the Beatles" by Geoff Emerick right now, and been listening to to the "Abbey Road" box of outtakes and demos more the SOTT deluxe set. And beyond that, I just watched the TAMI show last night... I know where Prince got his ideas.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 03/08/21 10:36am

ufoclub

avatar

BartVanHemelen said:

ufoclub said:

Act of Contrition has the most Prince elements in the mix out of all of them to my ears. I bet the backwards percussion was also a "buggin" move instigated by him.

.

Except the track was completely created by Madonna and Patrick Leonard.

.

Madonna: Yeah, we turned the tape and played everything backwards.

.

Interviewer: Your idea?

.

Madonna: Yeah. And then, of course, the whole thing, the saying of the prayer (on "Act of Contrition") and everything, that was totally conceived of in the studio, in the control room. Pat put out a microphone, and I just started fooling around; and that was free-form, too. Whatever was on my head. It's totally unedited.

.

FYI using a tape played backwards was also used by artists like the Beatles and Jimi Hendrix; Prince didn't invent that.

and the TNT show. And "Soul Power". Highly recommend those touchstones of pop music history that were watched like hawks over and over by stars of the 80's and beyond.

[Edited 3/8/21 10:38am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 03/08/21 2:24pm

BartVanHemelen

avatar

ufoclub said:

But the main possible prince element I'm referring to is the wild electric guitar. It seems like this unused prince intrument track was not only anonymously used as the intro of the album title track /music video, but also weaved through "Act of Contrition".

.

Again, this has been known for decades. Madonna sent him a tape of LIP, he returned it with wild guitar all over it, which was unusable. In the end they use fragments of it on several tracks, including AOC.

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 03/08/21 2:58pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

Really interesting to hear these. Thanks for posting. cool

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 03/08/21 4:52pm

ufoclub

avatar

BartVanHemelen said:

ufoclub said:

But the main possible prince element I'm referring to is the wild electric guitar. It seems like this unused prince intrument track was not only anonymously used as the intro of the album title track /music video, but also weaved through "Act of Contrition".

.

Again, this has been known for decades. Madonna sent him a tape of LIP, he returned it with wild guitar all over it, which was unusable. In the end they use fragments of it on several tracks, including AOC.

Well I'm glad you're admitting you're were wrong for earlier typing "Except the track was completely created by Madonna and Patrick Leonard," instead, now typing, "(Prince) he returned it with wild guitar all over it, which was unusable. In the end they use fragments of it on several tracks, including AOC."

The soloing guitar lead sections on "Act of Contrition" might be more actual musical input from Prince than any of the other tracks outside of their long distance "duet" "Love Song".

Hence my initial post on this thread.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 03/08/21 5:23pm

LoveGalore

embmmusic said:



LoveGalore said:


ufoclub said:



As opposed to "Act of Contrition"?



I'm not sure if Act of Contrition is a song in and of itself or, like Dub Beats, is a "song" constructed of leftover material (which is basically what Patrick Leonard implied).

Act of Contrition is on the album so it isn't a remix or anything



What does it being on the album have to do with it not being an actual thought out song but rather a melange of unused or repeated material from the sessions with some adlibbing on top?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 03/08/21 6:59pm

embmmusic

avatar

ufoclub said:

BartVanHemelen said:

.

Again, this has been known for decades. Madonna sent him a tape of LIP, he returned it with wild guitar all over it, which was unusable. In the end they use fragments of it on several tracks, including AOC.

Well I'm glad you're admitting you're were wrong for earlier typing "Except the track was completely created by Madonna and Patrick Leonard," instead, now typing, "(Prince) he returned it with wild guitar all over it, which was unusable. In the end they use fragments of it on several tracks, including AOC."

He's talking about two different tracks

Check out The Collector's Guide to Prince on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/p...4ldzxwlEuy
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 03/08/21 8:19pm

fernandomachad
o

this digital release has a bonus 7" Version that's similar to the album version with the same distorted guitar intro ffrom the album version but an additional guitar riff at the end, Prince?

https://open.spotify.com/...jxXNCvalPg

--

the 12" Extended remix also features a prominient guitar solo on 5:45

https://open.spotify.com/...dLy0WC3mSA

[Edited 3/8/21 20:20pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 03/08/21 8:22pm

SoulAlive

These remixes are superb!

“I hear you call my name and it feels like....

“Oh my God”

“Oh my God”

“Oh my God”

biggrin all of this on top of the “Bob George” beat
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 03/08/21 10:41pm

BartVanHemelen

avatar

ufoclub said:

BartVanHemelen said:

.

Again, this has been known for decades. Madonna sent him a tape of LIP, he returned it with wild guitar all over it, which was unusable. In the end they use fragments of it on several tracks, including AOC.

Well I'm glad you're admitting you're were wrong for earlier typing "Except the track was completely created by Madonna and Patrick Leonard," instead, now typing, "(Prince) he returned it with wild guitar all over it, which was unusable. In the end they use fragments of it on several tracks, including AOC."

.

If I make a track and use a sample of Prince music, it doesn't mean Prince created my track.

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 03/08/21 10:46pm

BartVanHemelen

avatar

fernandomachado said:

this digital release has a bonus 7" Version that's similar to the album version with the same distorted guitar intro ffrom the album version but an additional guitar riff at the end, Prince?

https://open.spotify.com/...jxXNCvalPg

--

the 12" Extended remix also features a prominient guitar solo on 5:45

https://open.spotify.com/...dLy0WC3mSA

[Edited 3/8/21 20:20pm]

.

Both were already linked in my post.

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 03/10/21 9:20am

ufoclub

avatar

BartVanHemelen said:

ufoclub said:

Well I'm glad you're admitting you're were wrong for earlier typing "Except the track was completely created by Madonna and Patrick Leonard," instead, now typing, "(Prince) he returned it with wild guitar all over it, which was unusable. In the end they use fragments of it on several tracks, including AOC."

.

If I make a track and use a sample of Prince music, it doesn't mean Prince created my track.

Well....

If the Prince "music" in question was freshly brewed and intended as a layered ingredient in creating new Madonna material, it obviously inversely means that the Madonna track where it ends up is partly composed of Prince material. Hence the Madonna track is partly authored by Prince. Even on a
simple looped sample like "Skinny motherfucker..." the conceptual integrity that the result is partially Prince is true.


Those guitar lines were freshly recorded with the intention of using them in some way on the Madonna album project; even if they didn't end up where Prince thought they might. And outside of "Love Song" they make up a memorable (and non looped) element of "Act of Contrition".

So if you make a track and use a track Prince gave you for your new music in it, Prince in fact created part of your music.


[Edited 3/10/21 9:21am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 03/11/21 6:04am

fernandomachad
o

BartVanHemelen said:

fernandomachado said:

this digital release has a bonus 7" Version that's similar to the album version with the same distorted guitar intro ffrom the album version but an additional guitar riff at the end, Prince?

https://open.spotify.com/...jxXNCvalPg

--

the 12" Extended remix also features a prominient guitar solo on 5:45

https://open.spotify.com/...dLy0WC3mSA

[Edited 3/8/21 20:20pm]

.

Both were already linked in my post.

there are 10 links on your post, I was just trying to pinpoint the Prince contributions

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 03/13/21 3:51am

Dandroppedadim
e

I believe Prince wrote all of Madonna's lyrics on the album. I could be wrong but, I just have a feeling.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 03/13/21 4:15am

Dandroppedadim
e

Joking aside - - that dub mix reminds me of Miss Thang by T.C. Ellis. or it could be something else?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 03/13/21 9:42am

leecaldon

Nice one.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 03/17/21 8:39am

ufoclub

avatar

Dandroppedadime said:

Joking aside - - that dub mix reminds me of Miss Thang by T.C. Ellis. or it could be something else?

There's some tiny bits from "Rave Unto the Joy Fantastic" like at 43 seconds: the effects heavy hithat noise.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > New digital release of Madonna's "Like a Prayer" remixes, some of which feature contributions by Prince