independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > "SADE'S SWEETEST TABOO"
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 01/12/21 11:24am

LILpoundCAKE

avatar

"SADE'S SWEETEST TABOO"

music

How clever and weird was that, for him to basically name a song after an Artist/Song combo?

Prince - Sade's Sweetest Taboo.

Nice and confusing lol

It's big mute brother "Brand New Orleans" is also nice. I see them as one long extended song, even if they are two separate tracks.

This is where you all pile on and go "THIS IS SHIT THIS SUCKS THIS IS NOT 80S PRINCE" blahblah

Meanwhile, me and the people who appreciate a breezy little groove are over here chillin' and tippin' our hat to good old prince in the 00s

music





"You're not my real dad and you never will be!!"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 01/12/21 11:39am

LILpoundCAKE

avatar

Though let me nuance that because BRAND NEW ORLEANS is not just a nice breezy groove since the drums on this are pretty savage and the guitar in the middle of it is so nice yet also feels passive agressive if that makes sense (I know it doesn't). It's the kind of guitar where you go 'oh this is LOVEly' and then it just kicks you in the back of the knee and you're like WTF? I thought you was playin' nice MF.

Did he use this drum sound on any other track? The drums sound like they disingetrage at the end of each hit and catch fire or something, like a match going off.





"You're not my real dad and you never will be!!"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 01/12/21 12:15pm

steakfinger

LILpoundCAKE said:

music

How clever and weird was that, for him to basically name a song after an Artist/Song combo?

Prince - Sade's Sweetest Taboo.

Nice and confusing lol

It's big mute brother "Brand New Orleans" is also nice. I see them as one long extended song, even if they are two separate tracks.

This is where you all pile on and go "THIS IS SHIT THIS SUCKS THIS IS NOT 80S PRINCE" blahblah

Meanwhile, me and the people who appreciate a breezy little groove are over here chillin' and tippin' our hat to good old prince in the 00s

music





It's neither clever nor weird. People write songs about liking and/or listening to other songs. It's not new.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 01/12/21 12:22pm

LILpoundCAKE

avatar

steakfinger said:

LILpoundCAKE said:

music

How clever and weird was that, for him to basically name a song after an Artist/Song combo?

Prince - Sade's Sweetest Taboo.

Nice and confusing lol

It's big mute brother "Brand New Orleans" is also nice. I see them as one long extended song, even if they are two separate tracks.

This is where you all pile on and go "THIS IS SHIT THIS SUCKS THIS IS NOT 80S PRINCE" blahblah

Meanwhile, me and the people who appreciate a breezy little groove are over here chillin' and tippin' our hat to good old prince in the 00s

music





It's neither clever nor weird. People write songs about liking and/or listening to other songs. It's not new.


I see what you did there, you're trying to be clever aren't you!?

lol

No, seriously, duh I know that, it's weird to NAME your songs after the influence AND the artist,
to where it becomes confusing.

Have you heard that new songs SADE'S SWEETEST TABOO?

-Yes I heard it but it's not new, it's from 85

"You're not my real dad and you never will be!!"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 01/12/21 12:23pm

Poplife88

avatar

I absolutely LOVE this track and Brand New Orleans. One of my fave later-day Prince songs. I agree...BNO is really just SST Pt2, which is just fine with me.

We're gonna need a bigger boat
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 01/12/21 12:25pm

Pellwormer

I really...really like this song...and those lyrics:

Who will be a guest in your tent?
Certainly not the ones who don't wanna repent
And keep giving guns to the poorest of our nation's sons

Who is gonna call you by name?
With no confusion, trinity or preacher's vain?
Who says that everytime
And opens up the eyes of the blind

Who will be the one in his bed?
Certainly not the ones who put thorns on his head
And wish him dead while they took his daily bread

[Chorus]
Which one is of value to you?
The one depleting the oil supply
Or the One that renews it
And keeps the peace
Like the groove in Sade's "Sweetest Taboo"

[Hook]
Give it to me, give it to me, the sweetest
(the sweetest)
Give it to me, give it to me
Give it to me, give it to me, the sweetest
[Verse 2]
Who will be a guest in your tent?
Are you gonna be happy with how your life has been spent?
Did you have open arms for each and everybody you met?

Or did you let them die in the rain?
Endless war, poverty or hurricane
Then it's time for another groove
Like Sade's "Sweetest Taboo"

[Hook][x2]
Give it to me, give it to me, the sweetest
Give it to me, give it to me
Give it to me, give it to me, the sweetest
..and I like ..when he has to say something...these protest songs are so important in these days...like:
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 01/12/21 12:35pm

LILpoundCAKE

avatar

Pellwormer said:

I really...really like this song...and those lyrics:

Who will be a guest in your tent?
Certainly not the ones who don't wanna repent
And keep giving guns to the poorest of our nation's sons

Who is gonna call you by name?
With no confusion, trinity or preacher's vain?
Who says that everytime
And opens up the eyes of the blind

Who will be the one in his bed?
Certainly not the ones who put thorns on his head
And wish him dead while they took his daily bread

[Chorus]
Which one is of value to you?
The one depleting the oil supply
Or the One that renews it
And keeps the peace
Like the groove in Sade's "Sweetest Taboo"

[Hook]
Give it to me, give it to me, the sweetest
(the sweetest)
Give it to me, give it to me
Give it to me, give it to me, the sweetest
[Verse 2]
Who will be a guest in your tent?
Are you gonna be happy with how your life has been spent?
Did you have open arms for each and everybody you met?

Or did you let them die in the rain?
Endless war, poverty or hurricane
Then it's time for another groove
Like Sade's "Sweetest Taboo"

[Hook][x2]
Give it to me, give it to me, the sweetest
Give it to me, give it to me
Give it to me, give it to me, the sweetest
..and I like ..when he has to say something...these protest songs are so important in these days...like:


I remember being so proud of him when I heard that line. He just said it. smile

"You're not my real dad and you never will be!!"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 01/12/21 12:38pm

Pellwormer

and.....Brand New Orleans is kinda agressive ...and...so I feel....about this goddam D.Trump-shxthead...and motherxxx who crushed the Capitol..

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 01/12/21 12:40pm

Pellwormer

LILpoundCAKE said:

Pellwormer said:

I really...really like this song...and those lyrics:

Who will be a guest in your tent?
Certainly not the ones who don't wanna repent
And keep giving guns to the poorest of our nation's sons

Who is gonna call you by name?
With no confusion, trinity or preacher's vain?
Who says that everytime
And opens up the eyes of the blind

Who will be the one in his bed?
Certainly not the ones who put thorns on his head
And wish him dead while they took his daily bread

[Chorus]
Which one is of value to you?
The one depleting the oil supply
Or the One that renews it
And keeps the peace
Like the groove in Sade's "Sweetest Taboo"

[Hook]
Give it to me, give it to me, the sweetest
(the sweetest)
Give it to me, give it to me
Give it to me, give it to me, the sweetest
[Verse 2]
Who will be a guest in your tent?
Are you gonna be happy with how your life has been spent?
Did you have open arms for each and everybody you met?

Or did you let them die in the rain?
Endless war, poverty or hurricane
Then it's time for another groove
Like Sade's "Sweetest Taboo"

[Hook][x2]
Give it to me, give it to me, the sweetest
Give it to me, give it to me
Give it to me, give it to me, the sweetest
..and I like ..when he has to say something...these protest songs are so important in these days...like:


I remember being so proud of him when I heard that line. He just said it. smile

oh...yeah....that was sooo good...would have been be good, if there were more to say that

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 01/12/21 1:44pm

OperatingTheta
n

LILpoundCAKE said:

Though let me nuance that because BRAND NEW ORLEANS is not just a nice breezy groove since the drums on this are pretty savage and the guitar in the middle of it is so nice yet also feels passive agressive if that makes sense (I know it doesn't). It's the kind of guitar where you go 'oh this is LOVEly' and then it just kicks you in the back of the knee and you're like WTF? I thought you was playin' nice MF.

Did he use this drum sound on any other track? The drums sound like they disingetrage at the end of each hit and catch fire or something, like a match going off.







Nice description, which resonates with me. The beat on Brand New Orleans is like a jackhammer. I appreciate and enjoy both SST and Brand New Orleans back-to-back. SST has a nice chilled vibe and Brand New Orleans is the closest Prince came to his Madhouse sound in terms of released material in his later career.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 01/15/21 8:45pm

lavendardrumma
chine

Wait, Prince wrote Sade's Sweetest Taboo? The password is what?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 01/15/21 9:43pm

LoveGalore

lavendardrummachine said:

Wait, Prince wrote Sade's Sweetest Taboo? The password is what?



Ok!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 01/16/21 1:40am

LILpoundCAKE

avatar

lavendardrummachine said:

Wait, Prince wrote Sade's Sweetest Taboo? The password is what?


lol

"You're not my real dad and you never will be!!"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > "SADE'S SWEETEST TABOO"