independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > songs you would love, but one element ruins it for you
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 10/28/20 5:20am

RJOrion

SimonCharles said:

djdaffy1227 said:

I love "Breakfast can wait" until the chipmunk voice starts

This too, yes. If mother-memory recalls well, some commentators said Camille was back...this is no more Camille than I am.

its not Camille... its the "Talking Tomcat" app...available for download on most any iOS or android device...

IMO that was the best part of "Breakfast Can Wait"

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 10/28/20 6:39am

jaawwnn

avatar

Eh, the Weakest Link reference in Judas Smile. Goes from a song I want to play people to hiding it away.

"I think people ought to know that we're anti-fascist, we're anti-violence, we're anti-racist and we're pro-creative. We're against ignorance."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 10/28/20 7:45am

LEATHRSAIL

avatar

Joint to Joint: The poet 99 part, and the part where he starts chewing. A trip to Audacity fixed this.

Hot With U: The part with Eve..... A trip to Audacity fixed this.

Musicology: The end part where "I've got good and plenty...." A trip to Audacity fixed this.

Return Of The Bump Squad: When the reading from the bible starts. A trip to Audacity fixed this.

Lovesexy album done under 1 track on the CD, rather that tracking each song. Getting the German import fixed this as it was tracked.

The whole Rainbow Children album. Didn't speak to me at all.

[Edited 10/28/20 7:56am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 10/28/20 7:59am

Genesia

avatar

Mintchip said:

So many songs from the 90s. I strain to listen through all the dumb sound effects, the over production, and yeah, the hippity-hop rap breaks. If I had to pick one though, I would go with...

Dolphin. I love the beginning, the guitar solo, most of the lyrics, and the production. I hate "you can cut off all my fins but to your ways I will not swim". It's putrid, and reminds me of the poetry a 16 year old goth would write in 1995. It's also part of the chorus, so it's hard to ignore.



The song goes

You can cut off all my fins
but to your ways I will not bend

I'd die before I let you
tell me how to swim

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 10/28/20 8:33am

Genesia

avatar

More than a single song, Tony M's presence ruins entire albums. disbelief

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 10/28/20 8:35am

Pellwormer

Funny...nobody mentioned "Black sweat".....

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 10/28/20 8:40am

RJOrion

Pellwormer said:

Funny...nobody mentioned "Black sweat".....

hell yeah....that annoying recurring synth line feels like root canal with no anesthesia

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 10/28/20 8:42am

GiggityGoo

avatar

Mintchip said:

So many songs from the 90s. I strain to listen through all the dumb sound effects, the over production, and yeah, the hippity-hop rap breaks.

.

yeahthat

.

"The Most Beautiful Girl In The World" is such a lovely song... the languid tempo, Prince's perfect vocals...

.

But those sound effects have not aged well. They interfere with my enjoyment of the song when I listen to it these days.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 10/28/20 8:52am

TraSoul82

jdcxc said:

Love 2 the 9s...Brilliant songwriting and genuis GEM, but cudve been even better without the kitschy Tony M/Mayte part.



To this day, I'll start this song and I'll be like "why don't I play this more?" ... Then a couple of minutes later I'm like "Oh yeah... that's why."



Willing and Able is also great despite the attempt to ruin it at the end.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 10/28/20 8:57am

djdaffy1227

avatar

RJOrion said:

Pellwormer said:

Funny...nobody mentioned "Black sweat".....

hell yeah....that annoying recurring synth line feels like root canal with no anesthesia

That was my second pick.

Making love and music are the only things worth fighting for.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 10/28/20 9:11am

laytonian

Mintchip said:

So many songs from the 90s. I strain to listen through all the dumb sound effects, the over production, and yeah, the hippity-hop rap breaks. If I had to pick one though, I would go with...

Dolphin. I love the beginning, the guitar solo, most of the lyrics, and the production. I hate "you can cut off all my fins but to your ways I will not swim". It's putrid, and reminds me of the poetry a 16 year old goth would write in 1995. It's also part of the chorus, so it's hard to ignore.



Doesn't that line refer to Warner Brothers' quashing his output?

Welcome to "the org", laytonian… come bathe with me.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 10/28/20 9:33am

looby

SexyMuthaF said:

Pop Life - Hate the part where it pauses for crowd noise.

I don't like that part either. It like it messes up the song in a way.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 10/28/20 9:38am

looby

The song Willing and Able. The rap part just ruins the song for me, and I just think the rapping is so bad. Prince should have really stayed out of the whole rapping thing, because he was not good at it, and neither was Tony M (at least that is what I think his name was, correct me if I wrong lol)

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 10/28/20 10:56am

yxl1

avatar

"If I was your girlfriend" Princes chipmonk vocals ruins the track

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 10/28/20 11:44am

thedoorkeeper

The tap dancing during Joint 2 Joint.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 10/28/20 12:10pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

"Black Sweat" as a whole. I don't mind the sparse production (it throws back to "Kiss" more than it does "When Doves Cry"), but that whiny high-pitched lead line makes dogs howl for an end. I hate that he uses a falsetto for the vocal. The whole thing is a hot mess.

The "beep" in "Lovesexy." WHY?!

Anything with Tony M. PERIODT! It's why I edited his ass out of 99% of Prince's music, as well as that Scrap D bullshit on "I Rock" (or whoever it is).

People are going to lose their minds over this, but I can't stand the falsetto on "Bambi." I think the first line is good as a falsetto, but he should eventually travel down to his regular voice to sing the majority of the song. Him singing that rock song with a falsetto in concert - you can't hear him. Hate it. Ruins a great rock song.


"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 10/28/20 3:29pm

lavendardrumma
chine

TrivialPursuit said:

but I can't stand the falsetto on "Bambi." I think the first line is good as a falsetto, but he should eventually travel down to his regular voice to sing the majority of the song. Him singing that rock song with a falsetto in concert - you can't hear him. Hate it. Ruins a great rock song.



Same. Openng line rocks and then it's like the helium ran out and he's lost in the mix. Sister has some of the same problems.

Black Sweat's synth line is a classic though, and saved his career (to the extent it ever needed saving). He hadn't really charted in a long ass time.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 10/28/20 4:16pm

sulls

avatar

All the dialogue in Gold Nigga feeling ill

"I like to watch."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 10/28/20 5:46pm

WhisperingDand
elions

avatar

RJOrion said:

SimonCharles said:

This too, yes. If mother-memory recalls well, some commentators said Camille was back...this is no more Camille than I am.

its not Camille... its the "Talking Tomcat" app...available for download on most any iOS or android device...

IMO that was the best part of "Breakfast Can Wait"

Pitch shift is usually the best part whenever he uses it.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 10/28/20 6:10pm

gandorb

jdcxc said:

Love 2 the 9s...Brilliant songwriting and genuis GEM, but cudve been even better without the kitschy Tony M/Mayte part.

One of the best examples of a great song ruined by Tony M.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 10/28/20 6:27pm

lurker316

avatar

jdcxc said:

Love 2 the 9s...Brilliant songwriting and genuis GEM, but cudve been even better without the kitschy Tony M/Mayte part.


I agree. I've found some versions (fan edits) that remove the middle section.

This is a great example of what I'm talking about. With the middle section the song is a 0 out of 10. Without the middle section the song is a 10 out of 10.


  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 10/28/20 6:29pm

Margot

I like Black Sweat; maybe I was distracted...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 10/28/20 6:33pm

lurker316

avatar

GiggityGoo said:

.

.

"The Most Beautiful Girl In The World" is such a lovely song... the languid tempo, Prince's perfect vocals...

.

But those sound effects have not aged well. They interfere with my enjoyment of the song when I listen to it these days.



Those sound effects were cheesy in 1995. It's not the passage of time that makes them unbearable.

I absoluted hated his use of sounds effects in any song... The one exception (and I'm sure I'm alone on this) is that I didn't mind the laser beams in Breakdown.




  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 10/28/20 7:48pm

ufoclub

avatar

lurker316 said:

GiggityGoo said:

.

"The Most Beautiful Girl In The World" is such a lovely song... the languid tempo, Prince's perfect vocals...

.

But those sound effects have not aged well. They interfere with my enjoyment of the song when I listen to it these days.



Those sound effects were cheesy in 1995. It's not the passage of time that makes them unbearable.

I absoluted hated his use of sounds effects in any song... The one exception (and I'm sure I'm alone on this) is that I didn't mind the laser beams in Breakdown.





Sound effects work on the 1999 album, and on The Black Album

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 10/28/20 7:52pm

eyewishuheaven

avatar

lurker316 said:

I absoluted hated his use of sounds effects in any song... The one exception (and I'm sure I'm alone on this) is that I didn't mind the laser beams in Breakdown.





You're not alone. I can't prove it, but I'm 100% certain that Prince was going for a similar feeling to that found at the climax of the 1979 film All That Jazz, which uses a similar sound in a similar way. Any of you guys seen it? Highly recommended for music/showbiz enthusiasts.

But yeah... I'm certain of it.


[Edited 10/28/20 19:53pm]

PRINCE: the only man who could wear high heels and makeup and STILL steal your woman!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 10/28/20 9:54pm

paraded

The raps are problematic. I've never liked Andy Allo's (I think) rap in Extralovable. I really don't like Prince's rap in Sticky Like Glue, though it's grown on me slightly. Even Cat's rap in Alphabet St. is the weakest part (although it's passable). Totally agree with the person who mentioned Love 2 the 9s before, that's another one where the rapping just gets in the way of the good stuff happening.

[Edited 10/28/20 21:55pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #56 posted 10/29/20 12:56am

RODSERLING

The howlings on Something in The Water are so cringe worthy that it ruins the song for me.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #57 posted 10/29/20 3:07am

jdcxc

lurker316 said:

GiggityGoo said:

.

"The Most Beautiful Girl In The World" is such a lovely song... the languid tempo, Prince's perfect vocals...

.

But those sound effects have not aged well. They interfere with my enjoyment of the song when I listen to it these days.



Those sound effects were cheesy in 1995. It's not the passage of time that makes them unbearable.

I absoluted hated his use of sounds effects in any song... The one exception (and I'm sure I'm alone on this) is that I didn't mind the laser beams in Breakdown.





Love the brilliant "Dionne" and the sound effects work well for the song's whimsy.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #58 posted 10/29/20 3:46am

NouveauDance

avatar

Some of the lyrics in 00s songs are a bummer you have to try to ignore. Similarly and recently, I'm always jammin' along to Blanche and forget about the homophobic slur until the preceeding rhyme. That's a downer right there.

.

.

.

RODSERLING said:

The howlings on Something in The Water are so cringe worthy that it ruins the song for me.

Oh God I love those! Still gives me chills in the same way The Beautiful Ones does. I also love all the "I'm so cold" stuff on Do Me, Baby - who else does this shit?! cool

.

.

[Edited 10/29/20 3:48am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #59 posted 10/29/20 4:32am

jdcxc

NouveauDance said:

Some of the lyrics in 00s songs are a bummer you have to try to ignore. Similarly and recently, I'm always jammin' along to Blanche and forget about the homophobic slur until the preceeding rhyme. That's a downer right there.

.

.

.

RODSERLING said:

The howlings on Something in The Water are so cringe worthy that it ruins the song for me.

Oh God I love those! Still gives me chills in the same way The Beautiful Ones does. I also love all the "I'm so cold" stuff on Do Me, Baby - who else does this shit?! cool

.

.

[Edited 10/29/20 3:48am]

Yes...the gutteral screams in Beautiful Ones and Something in the Water are so central to their emotional cores. And so true about Do Me...the emotional vulnerability is pure Prince.

I read the slur in Blanche as being in character...Stanley Kowalski is the epitome of brutish hyper masculinity. Interesting that there have been critical theories on gay themes/subtexts in "Streetcar."

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > songs you would love, but one element ruins it for you