independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Bronze Prince Statue Unveiled In Henderson, MN
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #60 posted 07/01/20 10:11am

peaceandlove

Prince was so vain but yet so humble at the same time. Total Gemini.

[Edited 7/1/20 10:11am]

Peaceandlove☮️💜☮️💜
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #61 posted 07/01/20 10:32am

RJP1205

Tokyo said:

Am just pleased that Prince is being remembered in various forms.



Don't have the energy to be hating...too much wasted effort.



So much easier to focus on the positives. It may not be your flavour of ice-cream but at least he's being remembered.



Compared to all of the other statues around the world, many of which should never have been put up in the first place, here's someone who's made a genuine contribution to the world.



Good on whoever it was that made the effort in the first place. Their heart was clearly in the right place.


Amen! 🙌
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #62 posted 07/01/20 1:58pm

herb4

avatar

RJP1205 said:

Tokyo said:

Am just pleased that Prince is being remembered in various forms.

Don't have the energy to be hating...too much wasted effort.

So much easier to focus on the positives. It may not be your flavour of ice-cream but at least he's being remembered.

Compared to all of the other statues around the world, many of which should never have been put up in the first place, here's someone who's made a genuine contribution to the world.

Good on whoever it was that made the effort in the first place. Their heart was clearly in the right place.

Amen! 🙌


Totally agree with this.

With a lot of BAD statues coming down right now and for the right reasons, it's kind of cool seeing a good one go UP - even if it's not perfect.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #63 posted 07/01/20 3:05pm

looby

Tokyo said:

Am just pleased that Prince is being remembered in various forms.

Don't have the energy to be hating...too much wasted effort.

So much easier to focus on the positives. It may not be your flavour of ice-cream but at least he's being remembered.

Compared to all of the other statues around the world, many of which should never have been put up in the first place, here's someone who's made a genuine contribution to the world.

Good on whoever it was that made the effort in the first place. Their heart was clearly in the right place.

I don't like the term or saying "hating" because some people (such as myself) are simply stating an opinion and nothing more. In today's world, people are not allowed to simply voice an opinion anymore, without being accused of this or that, and once upon a time, people could state whether they liked something or didn't like it, without being called or accused of being a "hater"...If some like the statue, fine, just as it's fine if some don't, and I happen to be one of those that don't.....my personal preference only.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #64 posted 07/01/20 3:09pm

herb4

avatar

[Snip - luv4u]


The statue is cool and fine and I'm glad it exists. This is just me talkin', understand.

[Edited 7/1/20 15:34pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #65 posted 07/07/20 9:59am

Se7en

avatar

We made our MPLS pilgrimage last summer almost exactly one year ago today.

We saw Paisley Park, First Avenue, Electric Fetus, the Purple Rain house and various other small murals and whatnot around that area. We didn't make it to Henderson as it was too far to fit in our one day that we had. This was before the sculpture was there obviously, but the mural and bench were there. Maybe next time.

One highlight though was the Purple Raindrop. Abstract tributes like this are more impressive to me than literal statues.

I'd love to someday see a giant Symbol statue made of granite too. Like 20' tall black granite.

https://blog.thecurrent.o...olis-park/

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #66 posted 07/07/20 11:11am

Empress

luv4u said:

Seahorsie said:

One other thing I noticed, they slapped the silly bench next to the statue, then put up a chain so that people can't sit on it! A little more crazy please? After seeing the latest round of everything that is around it...just wow. Just his statue on an elevated pedestal with all sorts of purple flowers around it in a circle would have been so nice.

My mom used to say something about yards when we drove by admiring all their yardwork. "Just a little too much goo-ga on that one", she would say. This meant, too many concrete angels, windmills, tire planters painted white, solar lights, wind chimes, wishing wells, gnomes, birdbaths, flag poles, hummingbird feeders, welcome signs, trees with fences around them, squirrel feeders, flowerpots...you get the idea! Hmmmmmmmmm


Actually the bench was there first. It is beautiful.

It's amazing how he is being remembered, honoured, and his legacy continues

Agreed! Beautiful memorial.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #67 posted 07/07/20 12:04pm

SolarEclipse

solraccat said:

He seems suspicious of something.

What is the list on the stone plaque on his right?

It is a list of the names of the fams from everywhere who contributed the money for the statue.

There was a fundraising drive to pay for the statue.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #68 posted 07/07/20 10:45pm

RJOrion

bad location...Henderson is a dusty, racist,little town full of nothing...i live about 20 minutes away and thats the very last place anyone (especially someone of color) would want to go, just to see a statue of Prince.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #69 posted 07/08/20 8:53am

looby

A graven image.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #70 posted 07/08/20 9:11am

RJOrion

looby said:

A graven image.




Christianity is built around a "graven image"...a crucifix...it doesnt get any more graven than that...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #71 posted 07/08/20 9:53am

looby

RJOrion said:

looby said:

A graven image.

Christianity is built around a "graven image"...a crucifix...it doesnt get any more graven than that...

A crucifix does not define Christianity, and definitely is not what it is built around. Christians do not worship a crucifix, they worship God and God alone.

[Edited 7/8/20 9:54am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #72 posted 07/08/20 10:30am

RJOrion

looby said:



RJOrion said:


looby said:

A graven image.



Christianity is built around a "graven image"...a crucifix...it doesnt get any more graven than that...

A crucifix does not define Christianity, and definitely is not what it is built around. Christians do not worship a crucifix, they worship God and God alone.

[Edited 7/8/20 9:54am]




Crucifixes are literally the universal symbol for Christianity...there are Crucifix hanging and displayed in most Christian and Catholic Churches...clergy from both sects constantly adorn themselves with Cricifix covered garments...the depiction of Jesus "dying on a cross for our sins" is taught and displayed constantly... Christian and Catholic doctrine and its followers, STAY displaying and worshipping graven images...kissing crucifixes, crossing themselves when they pray, etc
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #73 posted 07/08/20 10:34am

RJOrion

MILLIONS of Christians do NOT worship "God Alone" ... they worship a "father", a "son"(Sun?), and a so-called "holy spirit"...imagine that
[Edited 7/8/20 10:34am]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #74 posted 07/08/20 10:44am

looby

RJOrion said:

MILLIONS of Christians do NOT worship "God Alone" ... they worship a "father", a "son"(Sun?), and a so-called "holy spirit"...imagine that [Edited 7/8/20 10:34am]

I know that this will probably be too deep for your mind, but "God Alone" is the "Father, Son, and Holy Spirit".....imagine that. So please, don't speak for "MILLIONS of Christians" because it obvious that you know nothing about them or God.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #75 posted 07/08/20 10:45am

RJOrion

And for the record...a statue is not an "idol" unless someone worships it

Definition of graven image

: an object of worship carved usually from wood or stone : IDOL
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #76 posted 07/08/20 10:51am

RJOrion

looby said:



RJOrion said:


MILLIONS of Christians do NOT worship "God Alone" ... they worship a "father", a "son"(Sun?), and a so-called "holy spirit"...imagine that [Edited 7/8/20 10:34am]

I know that this will probably be too deep for your mind, but "God Alone" is the "Father, Son, and Holy Spirit".....imagine that. So please, don't speak for "MILLIONS of Christians" because it obvious that you know nothing about them or God.




"too deep" = cant be explained logical and makes ZERO common sense


really???..God the father. impregnated a 13 year old Mary...then he somehow went inside her married body and then came back out as a baby with superpowers?, after which he did miracles and walked on waters only to be helpless nailed to a Crucifix where he died and came back to Earth 3 days later to resume being All Poweful God???... WORD??? ...that really happened??
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #77 posted 07/08/20 11:10am

looby

RJOrion said:

looby said:

A crucifix does not define Christianity, and definitely is not what it is built around. Christians do not worship a crucifix, they worship God and God alone.

[Edited 7/8/20 9:54am]

Crucifixes are literally the universal symbol for Christianity...there are Crucifix hanging and displayed in most Christian and Catholic Churches...clergy from both sects constantly adorn themselves with Cricifix covered garments...the depiction of Jesus "dying on a cross for our sins" is taught and displayed constantly... Christian and Catholic doctrine and its followers, STAY displaying and worshipping graven images...kissing crucifixes, crossing themselves when they pray, etc

I am a Christian, and the Christian faith is totally different from the Catholic faith and doctrine, with different beliefs, so they can't be compared or lumped in with one another as one, because they are not. To Christians, a crucifix is a mere depiction of the death that Jesus died on the cross, as a reminder of what He did for us, to save us from sin, nothing more. We do not worship the cross, we worship the man that died on the cross. Kissing cruifixes, crossing themselves with them, and certain garments that priests and clergy wear, is a Catholic thing, and part of the Catholic faith, not the Christian faith. Christians believe in God's word (the bible) and they believe in what it says in it, to NOT make ANY graven images and worship them as though they are God, so therefore, we don't think of a crucifix as though it was God himself, because it is NOT! True Christians don't believe in worshiping anything or anyone but God himself! They know not to bow down to no one but God, nor worship and idolize any man made statue, they never have, and never will.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #78 posted 07/08/20 11:27am

RJOrion

looby said:



RJOrion said:


looby said:


A crucifix does not define Christianity, and definitely is not what it is built around. Christians do not worship a crucifix, they worship God and God alone.


[Edited 7/8/20 9:54am]



Crucifixes are literally the universal symbol for Christianity...there are Crucifix hanging and displayed in most Christian and Catholic Churches...clergy from both sects constantly adorn themselves with Cricifix covered garments...the depiction of Jesus "dying on a cross for our sins" is taught and displayed constantly... Christian and Catholic doctrine and its followers, STAY displaying and worshipping graven images...kissing crucifixes, crossing themselves when they pray, etc

I am a Christian, and the Christian faith is totally different from the Catholic faith and doctrine, with different beliefs, so they can't be compared or lumped in with one another as one, because they are not. To Christians, a crucifix is a mere depiction of the death that Jesus died on the cross, as a reminder of what He did for us, to save us from sin, nothing more. We do not worship the cross, we worship the man that died on the cross. Kissing cruifixes, crossing themselves with them, and certain garments that priests and clergy wear, is a Catholic thing, and part of the Catholic faith, not the Christian faith. Christians believe in God's word (the bible) and they believe in what it says in it, to NOT make ANY graven images and worship them as though they are God, so therefore, we don't think of a crucifix as though it was God himself, because it is NOT! True Christians don't believe in worshiping anything or anyone but God himself! They know not to bow down to no one but God, nor worship and idolize any man made statue, they never have, and never will.




but you said you worship the MAN that died on the cross then you said you worship GOD...in the same paragraph noless... which one(s) do you worship?
[Edited 7/8/20 11:28am]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #79 posted 07/08/20 1:49pm

looby

RJOrion said:

looby said:

I am a Christian, and the Christian faith is totally different from the Catholic faith and doctrine, with different beliefs, so they can't be compared or lumped in with one another as one, because they are not. To Christians, a crucifix is a mere depiction of the death that Jesus died on the cross, as a reminder of what He did for us, to save us from sin, nothing more. We do not worship the cross, we worship the man that died on the cross. Kissing cruifixes, crossing themselves with them, and certain garments that priests and clergy wear, is a Catholic thing, and part of the Catholic faith, not the Christian faith. Christians believe in God's word (the bible) and they believe in what it says in it, to NOT make ANY graven images and worship them as though they are God, so therefore, we don't think of a crucifix as though it was God himself, because it is NOT! True Christians don't believe in worshiping anything or anyone but God himself! They know not to bow down to no one but God, nor worship and idolize any man made statue, they never have, and never will.

but you said you worship the MAN that died on the cross then you said you worship GOD...in the same paragraph noless... which one(s) do you worship? [Edited 7/8/20 11:28am]

There is only one, Jesus and the Father (God) are one of the same, therefore I worship only one. Ever hear of the Trinity, the Father (God), the Son (Jesus), and Holy Spirit? All one. Hard to fathom for non believers, but well known and believed to followers of Jesus.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #80 posted 07/08/20 2:40pm

RJOrion

looby said:



RJOrion said:


looby said:


I am a Christian, and the Christian faith is totally different from the Catholic faith and doctrine, with different beliefs, so they can't be compared or lumped in with one another as one, because they are not. To Christians, a crucifix is a mere depiction of the death that Jesus died on the cross, as a reminde
.r of what He did for us, to save us from sin, nothing more. We do not worship the cross, we worship the man that died on the cross. Kissing cruifixes, crossing themselves with them, and certain garments that priests and clergy wear, is a Catholic thing, and part of the Catholic faith, not the Christian faith. Christians believe in God's word (the bible) and they believe in what it says in it, to NOT make ANY graven images and worship them as though they are God, so therefore, we don't think of a crucifix as though it was God himself, because it is NOT! True Christians don't believe in worshiping anything or anyone but God himself! They know not to bow down to no one but God, nor worship and idolize any man made statue, they never have, and never will.



but you said you worship the MAN that died on the cross then you said you worship GOD...in the same paragraph noless... which one(s) do you worship? [Edited 7/8/20 11:28am]

There is only one, Jesus and the Father (God) are one of the same, therefore I worship only one. Ever hear of the Trinity, the Father (God), the Son (Jesus), and Holy Spirit? All one. Hard to fathom for non believers, but well known and believed to followers of Jesus.




all that trinity talk is not "the word of God", nor was it taught by He you call Jesus...it was established by The Council Of Nicea, ruled and overseen by the Roman Emperor Constantine.. do you realize the evil and murder this man perpetrated while Emperor?...yet you allow his doctrine to guide your soul on itz spiritual journey?... be careful my friend... humanity has been historically brainwashed and led astray by some very powerful (and sometimes evil) people over the centuries...it aint just Hitler & Trump (no disrespect to the president)
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #81 posted 07/08/20 2:54pm

herb4

avatar

looby said:

A graven image.

graven

[ grey-vuh n ]SHOW IPA

verb

a past participle of grave3.

adjective

deeply impressed; firmly fixed.
carved; sculptured:a graven idol.

So?


 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #82 posted 07/08/20 6:29pm

looby

RJOrion said:

looby said:

There is only one, Jesus and the Father (God) are one of the same, therefore I worship only one. Ever hear of the Trinity, the Father (God), the Son (Jesus), and Holy Spirit? All one. Hard to fathom for non believers, but well known and believed to followers of Jesus.

all that trinity talk is not "the word of God", nor was it taught by He you call Jesus...it was established by The Council Of Nicea, ruled and overseen by the Roman Emperor Constantine.. do you realize the evil and murder this man perpetrated while Emperor?...yet you allow his doctrine to guide your soul on itz spiritual journey?... be careful my friend... humanity has been historically brainwashed and led astray by some very powerful (and sometimes evil) people over the centuries...it aint just Hitler & Trump (no disrespect to the president)

What do you know about the word of God or what was or was not taught by Jesus when you don't even believe in Him? Have you ever read or studied the word of God, the bible? Do you follow Jesus and know Him as Savior and son of God? Do you know His teachings, and what He told His followers, the words He spoke to them, the words that they believe in their heart and soul? If anyone should be careful my friend, it's you.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #83 posted 07/08/20 6:37pm

RJOrion

looby said:



RJOrion said:


looby said:


There is only one, Jesus and the Father (God) are one of the same, therefore I worship only one. Ever hear of the Trinity, the Father (God), the Son (Jesus), and Holy Spirit? All one. Hard to fathom for non believers, but well known and believed to followers of Jesus.



all that trinity talk is not "the word of God", nor was it taught by He you call Jesus...it was established by The Council Of Nicea, ruled and overseen by the Roman Emperor Constantine.. do you realize the evil and murder this man perpetrated while Emperor?...yet you allow his doctrine to guide your soul on itz spiritual journey?... be careful my friend... humanity has been historically brainwashed and led astray by some very powerful (and sometimes evil) people over the centuries...it aint just Hitler & Trump (no disrespect to the president)

What do you know about the word of God or what was or was not taught by Jesus when you don't even believe in Him? Have you ever read or studied the word of God, the bible? Do you follow Jesus and know Him as Savior and son of God? Do you know His teachings, and what He told His followers, the words He spoke to them, the words that they believe in their heart and soul? If anyone should be careful my friend, it's you.



your brain is so clean and shiny!...nice
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #84 posted 07/08/20 6:39pm

looby

RJOrion said:

looby said:

What do you know about the word of God or what was or was not taught by Jesus when you don't even believe in Him? Have you ever read or studied the word of God, the bible? Do you follow Jesus and know Him as Savior and son of God? Do you know His teachings, and what He told His followers, the words He spoke to them, the words that they believe in their heart and soul? If anyone should be careful my friend, it's you.

your brain is so clean and shiny!...nice

Thank you RJOrion, it's nice of you to say so. lol

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #85 posted 07/08/20 7:26pm

laytonian

onlyforaminute said:

And is it supposed to be his height?


The statue is 5'7", which is pretty close to his height (confirmed 5'3" by someone close to him), PLUS his heels AND his hair.

The only thing "off" about the design is....he has no neck. Prince had that long neck which he tried to disguise with standing collars for much of his career..
.

[Edited 7/8/20 19:31pm]

Welcome to "the org", laytonian… come bathe with me.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #86 posted 07/09/20 9:35am

RJOrion

LOL
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #87 posted 07/09/20 4:09pm

herb4

avatar

herb4 said:

looby said:

A graven image.

graven

[ grey-vuh n ]SHOW IPA

verb

a past participle of grave3.

adjective

deeply impressed; firmly fixed.
carved; sculptured:a graven idol.

So?



Still trying to discern what's so negative about a "graven" image, given this defninition.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #88 posted 07/09/20 4:33pm

mynameisnotsus
an

herb4 said:



herb4 said:




looby said:


A graven image.





graven





[ grey-vuh n ]SHOW IPA





verb



a past participle of grave3.


adjective



deeply impressed; firmly fixed.

carved; sculptured:a graven idol.



So?





Still trying to discern what's so negative about a "graven" image, given this defninition.




"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image" is an abbreviated form of one of the Ten Commandments which, according to the Book of Deuteronomy, were spoken by God to the Israelites and then written on stone tablets by the Finger of God.

https://en.m.wikipedia.or...0of%20God.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #89 posted 07/10/20 5:35am

PURplEMaPLeSyr
up

avatar

JorisE73 said:


There's somthing really creepy about these kind of statues, just like those creepy wax figures.

it reminded me of a wax figure, like it might come to life, hehe.

It is more interesting than I had imagined. would prefer a fro. might bring a wig if i ever visit wink boxed just kiddin.

I think it could be considered an idol. And I think Prince wouldn't approve, but I do like the way it looks like it could come to life, pretty impressive. it will probably be stolen, lol.

i like the petunias.

The love symbol or cross are abstract images, so i think they're not images of God's creations in heaven and earth, as described in the ten commandments.

flowing through the veins of the tree of life...purplemaplesyrup
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Bronze Prince Statue Unveiled In Henderson, MN