independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Purple Rain is coming to Netflix
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 2 <12
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 02/16/20 7:21pm

DD55

PURPLEIZED3121 said:

doubt anyone can answer this but but would the estate have been paid much $ for this?

I'm confused why this is such a big deal. You can already buy it on itunes for $29 and watch it as much / as many times as you want. What is different with it on netflix?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 02/17/20 12:12pm

djThunderfunk

avatar

DD55 said:

PURPLEIZED3121 said:

doubt anyone can answer this but but would the estate have been paid much $ for this?

I'm confused why this is such a big deal. You can already buy it on itunes for $29 and watch it as much / as many times as you want. What is different with it on netflix?


$29?!? For a DIGITAL copy?!? falloff lol lol lol

$2.99 would be more appropriate. You can buy the blu-ray on Amazon for $5.99 and actually own a physical copy. And if you want, rip your own digital copy for free. Who would pay almost 5 times as much for just a digital copy?


Censorship is ALWAYS wrong, no matter who is doing it or how noble their motivation.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 02/18/20 10:06am

v10letblues

avatar

This movie has aged amazingly well. Everyone looks cool as hell and the music is not dated as most 80's music has.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 02/18/20 10:48am

sexton

avatar

DD55 said:

PURPLEIZED3121 said:

doubt anyone can answer this but but would the estate have been paid much $ for this?

I'm confused why this is such a big deal. You can already buy it on itunes for $29 and watch it as much / as many times as you want. What is different with it on netflix?


An HD copy of Purple Rain on iTunes costs $12.99: https://itunes.apple.com/...d271437068

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 02/18/20 10:51am

djThunderfunk

avatar

sexton said:

DD55 said:

I'm confused why this is such a big deal. You can already buy it on itunes for $29 and watch it as much / as many times as you want. What is different with it on netflix?


An HD copy of Purple Rain on iTunes costs $12.99: https://itunes.apple.com/...d271437068


Still twice as much as the Blu-ray.

Censorship is ALWAYS wrong, no matter who is doing it or how noble their motivation.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 02/19/20 1:04am

JorisE73

Is it 4K? or just the regular Blu Ray version?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 02/19/20 5:58am

djThunderfunk

avatar

AFAIK, there has not yet been a 4K release.

Censorship is ALWAYS wrong, no matter who is doing it or how noble their motivation.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 02/21/20 11:32am

Strive

djThunderfunk said:

sexton said:


An HD copy of Purple Rain on iTunes costs $12.99: https://itunes.apple.com/...d271437068


Still twice as much as the Blu-ray.


It occasionally goes on sale. I got my digital copy from Amazon for $5. It's also the 2016 remaster, not the 2007 release.

"When you deny people the option to not pick a side, you may not like the side they'll pick."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 02/21/20 11:38am

djThunderfunk

avatar

Strive said:

djThunderfunk said:


Still twice as much as the Blu-ray.


It occasionally goes on sale. I got my digital copy from Amazon for $5. It's also the 2016 remaster, not the 2007 release.


Cool. The current blu-ray release is the 2016, too.


[Edited 2/21/20 11:39am]

Censorship is ALWAYS wrong, no matter who is doing it or how noble their motivation.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 02/22/20 8:19am

darlingnikkkki

DD55 said:



PURPLEIZED3121 said:


doubt anyone can answer this but but would the estate have been paid much $ for this?



I'm confused why this is such a big deal. You can already buy it on itunes for $29 and watch it as much / as many times as you want. What is different with it on netflix?



It’s for those who people who don’t buy movies and prefer to stream movies on Netflix. That’s majority of people I know.
"I want to be the only one you come for...."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 02/22/20 10:45am

v10letblues

avatar

darlingnikkkki said:

DD55 said:

I'm confused why this is such a big deal. You can already buy it on itunes for $29 and watch it as much / as many times as you want. What is different with it on netflix?

It’s for those who people who don’t buy movies and prefer to stream movies on Netflix. That’s majority of people I know.

Yep. It's about choice. Which is good. And it's also generational. Older folks are more likely to prefer physical media.

I personally prefer streaming and i am on the older side. Over time I have noticed that as busy as we all tend to get, we may go years if ever to revisit some of the tittles that people have on their shelves. Whereas the convenience and choice of content on streaming vs a collection on the shelf is massive too. Especially if you are like me and don't get around to view anything until you get home and are relaxing in bed with your laptop of iPad.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 02/22/20 4:35pm

sexton

avatar

v10letblues said:

darlingnikkkki said:

It’s for those who people who don’t buy movies and prefer to stream movies on Netflix. That’s majority of people I know.

Yep. It's about choice. Which is good. And it's also generational. Older folks are more likely to prefer physical media.

I personally prefer streaming and i am on the older side. Over time I have noticed that as busy as we all tend to get, we may go years if ever to revisit some of the tittles that people have on their shelves. Whereas the convenience and choice of content on streaming vs a collection on the shelf is massive too. Especially if you are like me and don't get around to view anything until you get home and are relaxing in bed with your laptop of iPad.


This isn't about physical vs. streaming since it was pointed out a digital copy could be bought for as low as $5 on Amazon which you could watch whenever you want on your laptop in bed. This is about why does Purple Rain coming to Netflix matter to orgers who should already own Purple Rain in some format? Is the Purple Rain movie not worth $5? Streaming has people spoiled where if they can't access it for free then they would rather do without it than buy it.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 02/24/20 5:30am

darlingnikkkki

sexton said:



v10letblues said:




darlingnikkkki said:


It’s for those who people who don’t buy movies and prefer to stream movies on Netflix. That’s majority of people I know.

Yep. It's about choice. Which is good. And it's also generational. Older folks are more likely to prefer physical media.


I personally prefer streaming and i am on the older side. Over time I have noticed that as busy as we all tend to get, we may go years if ever to revisit some of the tittles that people have on their shelves. Whereas the convenience and choice of content on streaming vs a collection on the shelf is massive too. Especially if you are like me and don't get around to view anything until you get home and are relaxing in bed with your laptop of iPad.




This isn't about physical vs. streaming since it was pointed out a digital copy could be bought for as low as $5 on Amazon which you could watch whenever you want on your laptop in bed. This is about why does Purple Rain coming to Netflix matter to orgers who should already own Purple Rain in some format? Is the Purple Rain movie not worth $5? Streaming has people spoiled where if they can't access it for free then they would rather do without it than buy it.



I have the Blu already but will just as easily watch it on Netflix on my iPhone when I’m at the doctor’s office waiting to be seen. It’s about convenience.
"I want to be the only one you come for...."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 02/24/20 6:28am

djThunderfunk

avatar

I spent years (decades) working my way through from a 19" TV, to 27" TV, etc., until I finally managed to afford a 65" and could finally watch movies on home on a screen big enough to enjoy them properly. Throw in the surround sound and my cinematic experience at home is complete.

Then I turn around and people are watching movies on their phones.

Really?!? Why would you....? How could you...? I just don't get it.

A phone's tiny screen and shitty speaker is the worst way to watch anything, much less a movie. Phones aren't even good for music unless you hook them to another audio system or speakers, much less movies.

Yeah, I get it. I'm just old. But that's one more reason not to watch a phone on a itty bitty screen, my eyes are too old for that shit.

Anyway, if that's what you want to do while you wait for an appointment, I guess more power to ya.

lol lol lol

Censorship is ALWAYS wrong, no matter who is doing it or how noble their motivation.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 02/24/20 10:49am

sexton

avatar

darlingnikkkki said:


sexton said:


This isn't about physical vs. streaming since it was pointed out a digital copy could be bought for as low as $5 on Amazon which you could watch whenever you want on your laptop in bed. This is about why does Purple Rain coming to Netflix matter to orgers who should already own Purple Rain in some format? Is the Purple Rain movie not worth $5? Streaming has people spoiled where if they can't access it for free then they would rather do without it than buy it.

I have the Blu already but will just as easily watch it on Netflix on my iPhone when I’m at the doctor’s office waiting to be seen. It’s about convenience.


You could have been watching Purple Rain on your iPhone at the doctor's office years ago. You didn't have to wait until it came to Netflix.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 02/24/20 2:51pm

darlingnikkkki

sexton said:



darlingnikkkki said:




sexton said:



This isn't about physical vs. streaming since it was pointed out a digital copy could be bought for as low as $5 on Amazon which you could watch whenever you want on your laptop in bed. This is about why does Purple Rain coming to Netflix matter to orgers who should already own Purple Rain in some format? Is the Purple Rain movie not worth $5? Streaming has people spoiled where if they can't access it for free then they would rather do without it than buy it.



I have the Blu already but will just as easily watch it on Netflix on my iPhone when I’m at the doctor’s office waiting to be seen. It’s about convenience.


You could have been watching Purple Rain on your iPhone at the doctor's office years ago. You didn't have to wait until it came to Netflix.



Except I didn’t have an iPhone then lol.
"I want to be the only one you come for...."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 02/24/20 3:53pm

v10letblues

avatar

darlingnikkkki said:

sexton said:


You could have been watching Purple Rain on your iPhone at the doctor's office years ago. You didn't have to wait until it came to Netflix.

Except I didn’t have an iPhone then lol.

.
I do love going to the movies though and even saw Purple Rain on the big screen when it was re-realsed on theaters a few years ago. It was packed.

[Edited 2/26/20 21:19pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 02/26/20 8:30pm

WhisperingDand
elions

avatar

sexton said:

This isn't about physical vs. streaming since it was pointed out a digital copy could be bought for as low as $5 on Amazon which you could watch whenever you want on your laptop in bed. This is about why does Purple Rain coming to Netflix matter to orgers who should already own Purple Rain in some format? Is the Purple Rain movie not worth $5? Streaming has people spoiled where if they can't access it for free then they would rather do without it than buy it.

It's maybe worth $5.

Honestly, if you're advocating for your personal vision of the Prince superfan mindset according to you, would a massive Prince fan really be repeat-watching Purple Rain enough in 2020 to justify a BluRay 4K 24K ultraHD deluxe whatever edition? The supposed superfan isn't more likely to want to watch a PR bootleg of a PR show? You know, rather than watch Prince mime out the same tracks they've heard for 30 years for the 3,000th time?

I mean, even the most ardent Prince fans are so burnt out on PR they regularly tout not having even heard the regular album in sequence in decades, yet you're sitting here questioning the priorities of fans who didn't move a cheesetacular extended music video completely of its time to the top of their 21st century shopping lists? If anything, I can't think of a movie more tailor-made for the streaming era... Deluxes I get owning, box sets, vinyl, symbol koozies, purple tchatchkes... but Purple Rain the movie? That's the ultimate WTFareyoudoingifyoudontownthis purchase in your eyes?? Purple Rain The Movie!?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 02/27/20 2:55pm

sexton

avatar

WhisperingDandelions said:

sexton said:

This isn't about physical vs. streaming since it was pointed out a digital copy could be bought for as low as $5 on Amazon which you could watch whenever you want on your laptop in bed. This is about why does Purple Rain coming to Netflix matter to orgers who should already own Purple Rain in some format? Is the Purple Rain movie not worth $5? Streaming has people spoiled where if they can't access it for free then they would rather do without it than buy it.

It's maybe worth $5.

Honestly, if you're advocating for your personal vision of the Prince superfan mindset according to you, would a massive Prince fan really be repeat-watching Purple Rain enough in 2020 to justify a BluRay 4K 24K ultraHD deluxe whatever edition? The supposed superfan isn't more likely to want to watch a PR bootleg of a PR show? You know, rather than watch Prince mime out the same tracks they've heard for 30 years for the 3,000th time?

I mean, even the most ardent Prince fans are so burnt out on PR they regularly tout not having even heard the regular album in sequence in decades, yet you're sitting here questioning the priorities of fans who didn't move a cheesetacular extended music video completely of its time to the top of their 21st century shopping lists? If anything, I can't think of a movie more tailor-made for the streaming era... Deluxes I get owning, box sets, vinyl, symbol koozies, purple tchatchkes... but Purple Rain the movie? That's the ultimate WTFareyoudoingifyoudontownthis purchase in your eyes?? Purple Rain The Movie!?


Of course my post was directed to the longtime Prince fans who like Purple Rain and are looking forward to streaming it on Netflix.

It was not meant for those who are "so burnt out on PR they regularly tout not having even heard the regular album in sequence in decades" or consider it to be "a cheesetacular extended music video completely of its time" since they won't be watching it again anyway and won't care that it's avaialble for streaming.

Purple Rain streaming on Netflix is good news for casual fans or non-fans curious about Prince's movies. For harcore fans, it shouldn't be all that exciting.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 02/28/20 12:10pm

jasopig

This is a very difficult movie to watch with somebody who has never seen it, especially if that somebody doesn't think it's cool to beat the crap out of women. It hasn't aged well.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 02/29/20 7:29am

djThunderfunk

avatar

jasopig said:

This is a very difficult movie to watch with somebody who has never seen it, especially if that somebody doesn't think it's cool to beat the crap out of women. It hasn't aged well.


I'm betting most of the people that like this movie agree that it's not "cool to beat the crap out of women". If you let that one little scene ruin the movie for you, or, if you think the movie in any way endorses such behavior, I would reccommend avoiding movies in general. The thing about fiction is that it's not real. Often the villain of a movie (yes, Morris is the antagonist) does bad things. This movie is no different.

So yeah, such an easily offended person probably shouldn't watch movies since sometimes they show bad people doing bad things.

Censorship is ALWAYS wrong, no matter who is doing it or how noble their motivation.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 03/01/20 1:41pm

slyjackson

djThunderfunk said:

jasopig said:

This is a very difficult movie to watch with somebody who has never seen it, especially if that somebody doesn't think it's cool to beat the crap out of women. It hasn't aged well.


I'm betting most of the people that like this movie agree that it's not "cool to beat the crap out of women". If you let that one little scene ruin the movie for you, or, if you think the movie in any way endorses such behavior, I would reccommend avoiding movies in general. The thing about fiction is that it's not real. Often the villain of a movie (yes, Morris is the antagonist) does bad things. This movie is no different.

So yeah, such an easily offended person probably shouldn't watch movies since sometimes they show bad people doing bad things.

Indeed, a person like that shoul avoid any knid of art in general.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 03/01/20 9:04pm

lavendardrumma
chine

Netflix doesn't have the best quality copy but it was really fun to be able to revisit the music scenes when I wanted to. A lot of Prince fans with the VHS copies (like myself) aren't buying it in every format, and already have Netflix accounts, so this was nice. I would guess there are a lot of younger people who like Prince but never saw the movie at all, and weren't going to pay money for it. Most of it still holds up. The idea that everyone seeing a show at Uptown would do a cheoreographed dance in the crowd still seems plausible when it totally wasn't. I don't get why anyone would get cranky over Netflix showing it if you already subscribe.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 03/02/20 7:24am

v10letblues

avatar

lavendardrummachine said:

Netflix doesn't have the best quality copy but it was really fun to be able to revisit the music scenes when I wanted to. A lot of Prince fans with the VHS copies (like myself) aren't buying it in every format, and already have Netflix accounts, so this was nice. I would guess there are a lot of younger people who like Prince but never saw the movie at all, and weren't going to pay money for it. Most of it still holds up. The idea that everyone seeing a show at Uptown would do a cheoreographed dance in the crowd still seems plausible when it totally wasn't. I don't get why anyone would get cranky over Netflix showing it if you already subscribe.

It will very likely snag a lot of casual Netflix surfers. It's a fun movie that is not perfect, but it's saving grace has always been that at it's core, is a collection of "live" performances of Prince at the height of his prowess performing some of his best music.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 2 <12
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Purple Rain is coming to Netflix