independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 14th Nov 2019 7:51am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Cringey Prince
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 09/21/19 2:32pm

homesquid

avatar

Cringey Prince

I hadn't listened to "Diamonds & Pearls" or "Love Symbol" for awhile so this weekend I popped them in. These albums have not aged well at all to me. Some of the corniest and silliest lyrics of his career and Prince + rap is a terrible marriage. He's done fine at times but some of this attempts are just embrassing.

Most of the hits still standout though- Get Off, Cream, D&P, Insatiable, 7, Sexy MF, Morning Papers but I found myself skipping half the tracks on these albums and I used to never do that. Anyone else find themselves loving these albums less than they used to?

[Edited 9/21/19 14:36pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 09/21/19 2:39pm

rdhull

avatar

I haven't listened to those in a least 10 years.

c'mon baby, where's ya guts?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 09/21/19 3:29pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

I like both cool

Edmonton, AB - canada
Mod Goddess of the SNIP & BAN Making Moves - OF4S
Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 09/21/19 3:58pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

homesquid said:

I hadn't listened to "Diamonds & Pearls" or "Love Symbol" for awhile so this weekend I popped them in. These albums have not aged well at all to me. Some of the corniest and silliest lyrics of his career and Prince + rap is a terrible marriage. He's done fine at times but some of this attempts are just embrassing.

Most of the hits still standout though- Get Off, Cream, D&P, Insatiable, 7, Sexy MF, Morning Papers but I found myself skipping half the tracks on these albums and I used to never do that. Anyone else find themselves loving these albums less than they used to?

[Edited 9/21/19 14:36pm]

Yep.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 09/21/19 5:26pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

I removed 99% of Tony's rapping on those two albums, and they're 100x better. I was never a huge fan of D&P before, but once I took on that project and worked on it, I really enjoy it. prince seems less cluttered with his "rapping" (I use the term loosely) gone.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 09/21/19 8:22pm

kewlschool

avatar

Just the same as I did when they where originally released. I alway's skipped jughead etc.

99.9% of everything I say is strictly for my own entertainment
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 09/21/19 8:30pm

funksterr

The opposite for me. I really like "Walk Don't Walk" now, and I was never into it when the album dropped. Tony M is fantastic. Always was. "The Morning Papers" is even more awe-inspiring in this era of 808s and auto-tune.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 09/21/19 8:53pm

EnDoRpHn

TrivialPursuit said:

I removed 99% of Tony's rapping on those two albums, and they're 100x better. I was never a huge fan of D&P before, but once I took on that project and worked on it, I really enjoy it. prince seems less cluttered with his "rapping" (I use the term loosely) gone.


Me, too and then that MFer came back in real life.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 09/21/19 9:32pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

EnDoRpHn said:

TrivialPursuit said:

I removed 99% of Tony's rapping on those two albums, and they're 100x better. I was never a huge fan of D&P before, but once I took on that project and worked on it, I really enjoy it. prince seems less cluttered with his "rapping" (I use the term loosely) gone.

Me, too and then that MFer came back in real life.


I don't want him dead. I just want him off Diamonds and Pearls and prince.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 09/22/19 12:49am

ChickenMcNugge
ts

avatar

This thread reminds me that I have such an unfortunate liking for the rapper on I Rock, Therefore I Am and Da, Da, Da, lol.

Don’t really have much of an opinion on Tony M - I even think on Jughead, he was alright. 2together might just be his best moment for me, though.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 09/22/19 2:30am

Moonbeam

avatar

The audaciousness of some of the songs on these albums is part of what I love about them. Who else could get away with a song like "My Name Is Prince"?! It's ridiculous and all the more awesome for it.

That said, Diamonds and Pearls in particular is not a huge favorite of mine. I really like 7 of the songs (even love some), but on the whole, there are some songs I wouldn't mind if I never heard them again. prince is fantastic for me, though, a contender for a top 5 Prince album.

Feel free to join in the Prince Album Poll 2018! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince albums, as decided by you!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 09/22/19 2:36am

Darshy

Absolutely love this album, can't wait for a deluxe version. I love the video version of Willing & able, and all those Gett Off remixes. Strollin', Insatiable, and Money Don't Matter 2Night are all excellent. But my favourite is Push. When I listen to it on my Headphones it is just so sonic; the rewinds, the effects, the horns, and Prince, Tony and Rosie's rapping uch better than any rap time you'll hear these days. Think The NPG on some USS Enterprise spaceship with Prince all Tora, Tora, Tora swagger all ready to crash land the Fonk on to planet Earth. Slammin'!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 09/22/19 2:41am

Darshy

Excuse the wrong predicted texts and spelling mistake's. Must Preview Post in future!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 09/22/19 11:47am

VaultCurator

avatar

I can't listen to Pussy Control anymore. I loved it as a kid, but I'm not sure what I saw in it now. Think I would have prefered Interactive on reflection.

RIP EXTRALOVEABLE!!! sad
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 09/22/19 2:26pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

ChickenMcNuggets said:

This thread reminds me that I have such an unfortunate liking for the rapper on I Rock, Therefore I Am and Da, Da, Da, lol.


I edited those, too.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 09/22/19 2:27pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

Moonbeam said:

The audaciousness of some of the songs on these albums is part of what I love about them. Who else could get away with a song like "My Name Is Prince"?! It's ridiculous and all the more awesome for it.

That said, Diamonds and Pearls in particular is not a huge favorite of mine. I really like 7 of the songs (even love some), but on the whole, there are some songs I wouldn't mind if I never heard them again. prince is fantastic for me, though, a contender for a top 5 Prince album.


There is a lot of dick swinging on stuff like "My Name is Prince".

I always leaned toward prince more as well (pre-editing software, lol).

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 09/22/19 2:40pm

EmmaMcG

avatar

I never liked either of these albums anyway. Then again, I've only been a Prince fan for 6 or 7 years so I wasn't around back when they were new. But it's not that I find them to be "dated", I just don't like the songs on them. There are 3 songs on each album that I like. The rest just don't do it for me. If I was to ever recommend Prince to a friend, I would not be recommending either if these albums.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 09/22/19 4:08pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

EmmaMcG said:

I never liked either of these albums anyway. Then again, I've only been a Prince fan for 6 or 7 years so I wasn't around back when they were new. But it's not that I find them to be "dated", I just don't like the songs on them. There are 3 songs on each album that I like. The rest just don't do it for me. If I was to ever recommend Prince to a friend, I would not be recommending either if these albums.


You really touched on something there.

On the one hand, I liked that Prince was leaning toward a band sound again, opposed to his one-man show that we were often so used to. It's sorta why things on Lovesexy was nice.

On the other, he incorporated the rap element, and leaned on a heavier sound (which could almost be argued was a reaction to grunge or other harder rock bands around that time). A lot of prince also delves harder into funk and heavy R&B compared to recent efforts just before that. Those elements create an instantly dated production. It reminds me just a few years earlier when he was doing these super fast BPM remixes and that reverby/echoey clanky sound he did on some remixes as well (which reminds me of bad R&B during the late 80s).

Yet thru that, you have classic sounding songs like "Strollin'", "Love 2 The 9's", "The Morning Papers", "Sweet Baby", "Damn U", etc.

I still enjoy prince over D&P, but with the removal of Tony, it's much more desirable thees days. I feel like he was searching for something. D&P did well and had a #1 hit again. It showed he could do that when he sat down (even in front of a mirror) and put his mind to it. I suppose it's just the ebbs and flows of Prince's music making.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 09/22/19 4:11pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

By the way, the cringiest Prince is The Rainbow Children.


This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 09/22/19 5:39pm

leadline

avatar

A de-tonyfied D&P and Symbol, what an excellent idea. Sound Forge here I come.

Will give him credit for 2Gether though, I thought he sang/spoken worded that one well.

"You always get the dream that you deserve, from what you value the most" -Prince 2013
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 09/23/19 12:41am

andrewm7

an interesting thing happens every time this is discussed, I find myself thinking that the tracks I skip over regularly on albums seem to be some people’s favourite tracks and vice versa. That is the reason I keep coming here after all these years, sometimes when you read someone else’s description you see things in a track that were not there for you before smile
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 09/23/19 12:58am

dodger

I became a fan as a 15 year old in 91 after seeing the Gett Off video, so I'll always love the D&P and Symbol era from a nostalgic point at least.

.

I understand many long term fans may not have liked the new direction and Tony M but I still think on the whole that live band sound, on Goldnigga also, is pure ear candy.

.

As Trivial says there is still a few classic tracks aside from the rapping across the albums; And God Created Woman being the best of the bunch for me.

.

Tony gets a lot of shit on here but I think he worked well in moderation on the likes of Gett Off, The Max, The Sacrifice Of Victor and Willing And Able. Prince didn't need to use him on Love 2 The 9's though, that's for sure.

.

If we are talking cringey Prince; look no further than his shivering and 'I'm so cold, hold me' shit on Do Me, Baby. I almost pissed my pants when I first heard that

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 09/23/19 1:50am

EmmaMcG

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:

By the way, the cringiest Prince is The Rainbow Children.




I like the sound of the Rainbow Children. A lot of the lyrics are batshit crazy though.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 09/23/19 2:01am

mediumdry

EmmaMcG said:

TrivialPursuit said:

By the way, the cringiest Prince is The Rainbow Children.

I like the sound of the Rainbow Children. A lot of the lyrics are batshit crazy though.

.

I love the Rainbow Children, even though I'm firmly atheist. I do agree that there are insane lyrics and the slowed down storyteller voice is annoying. It doesn't make me cringe though. On the other hand, a song like Come, which I love to bits when it comes to the music, makes me cringe every time. A supposed adult mimicking cunnilingus sounds and pretend like it is hot... it's like listening to a bad sex-phoneline superimposed over a quality track. To me, that is the cringiest Prince, by far.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 09/23/19 2:21am

EmmaMcG

avatar

mediumdry said:



EmmaMcG said:


TrivialPursuit said:

By the way, the cringiest Prince is The Rainbow Children.



I like the sound of the Rainbow Children. A lot of the lyrics are batshit crazy though.

.


I love the Rainbow Children, even though I'm firmly atheist. I do agree that there are insane lyrics and the slowed down storyteller voice is annoying. It doesn't make me cringe though. On the other hand, a song like Come, which I love to bits when it comes to the music, makes me cringe every time. A supposed adult mimicking cunnilingus sounds and pretend like it is hot... it's like listening to a bad sex-phoneline superimposed over a quality track. To me, that is the cringiest Prince, by far.



LOL, yeah I can see that. Anytime he tried to appeal to the kids, it was cringey. Like, HitnRun Phase One. The first 5 or 6 tracks on that are ridiculously cringey. How can the same man who wrote countless classics come up with Like A Mack. Like, come on, Prince. You're nearly 60.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 09/23/19 7:57am

Genesia

avatar

How has no one mentioned Purple & Gold?

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 09/23/19 9:31am

emesem

Prince was at his cringiest from 1990 (Grafitti Bridge) to 1992 (Symbol) it was generally a dark time to be a fan. In 89 we thought his fay nude cover from LoveSexy was peak embarrasing but that was NOTHING compared to that 90-92 period.

[Edited 9/24/19 6:48am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 09/23/19 10:25am

djdaffy1227

avatar

Genesia said:

How has no one mentioned Purple & Gold?

We have a winner right here! lol

Making love and music are the only things worth fighting for.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 09/23/19 10:37am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

Genesia said:

How has no one mentioned Purple & Gold?


Because no one mentions Beetlejuice either for reasons.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 09/23/19 10:47am

Genesia

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:

Genesia said:

How has no one mentioned Purple & Gold?


Because no one mentions Beetlejuice either for reasons.


lol

I'll be sure not to say it two more times. lurking

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Cringey Prince